Type keyword(s) to search

"The Colbert Report": Week of 11/17/14

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS JON IS GOING TO BE A GUEST ON THE REPORT

11/17/14 SENATOR BERNIE SANDERS - VERMONT (I)
11/18/14 EVA LONGORIA - Film, “Food Chains”
11/19/14 TONI MORRISON - Novelist, Editor and Professor
11/20/14 JON STEWART - Film, “Rosewater”

• Love 6

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS JON IS GOING TO BE A GUEST ON THE REPORT

11/20/14 JON STEWART - Film, “Rosewater”

I'm not gonna say anything, either. I just wanna wait until next Thursday to see how this will unfold, because THIS. IS. TOO. MUCH. FEELS! So much epic and fulfilled wishes with those four words. 

P.S.: Does that mean a correspondent is gonna take over TDS that day since Jonny-bun will have to arrive early for the interview or will TDS air a bit in which Jonny-bun finishes the show before rushing into the TCR studio? I'll vouch for either! :)

• Love 2

I hope they have a Toss, followed by Stephen pushing a button to beam Jon into his all-purpose booth. From there, he will have Jon trapped and will be able to have his way with him at long last, for whatever nefarious purpose he can imagine.

(Question from a newbie: Have they ever been the actual, official guest of each other's show before?)

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 1

"Colbert" tapes a bit later than TDS, so my guess is that Jon will dash out of his own studio and over to Colbert's. And no, as far as I know, this will be the first time either of them has been an official guest of the other. Since Jon appears once in a while on "Letterman," I expect Stephen will have him on at some point after he takes over the CBS time slot.

• Love 2

I want Bernie Sanders to run for President even if Hilary is the highly favorite as of now.

He said he was going to run when he was on Bill Maher.  I love Bernie Sanders but my fear is that he will dilute the votes, and Hillary really would be a better President.  As much as I love Ralph Nader, if he hadn't run I don't think we would have started the Iraq war and the word would be a very different place today. 

• Love 2

My dream ticket would be Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders, but only if they were running as Democrats and there would be no Nader effect.

TDS devoted its entire show on Thursday to Rosewater, and they did a fairly serious treatment, so I am hopeful that TCR will at least do somewhat of a serious job and not just totally joke around about it.

• Love 1

My dream ticket would be Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders

Mine too.

I am hopeful that TCR will at least do somewhat of a serious job and not just totally joke around about it.

I am not so hopeful, I have to say. I am afraid it will be a love fest, full of silliness. Maybe a surprise from Jon to the departing Stephen

Edited by alexvillage

That is my dream ticket, as well.

About Stephen and Jon, the live Q&A on Thursday was mostly silly but sometimes serious, and that was without Stephen's character. It'd be nice if they could have a serious conversation, but that would probably require Stephen to drop the character. They're kind of jointly at a big moment in their professional lives. They're both taking big risks after fifteen years of working together, even if the film doesn't change anything immediately for Jon. Plus, they've been close friends throughout those years, and now they're leading up to an end of their partnership. It'll probably be sweet and silly and supportive, with a significant dose of snark from "Stephen."

My dream ticket would be Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders

Their first SCOTUS appointment should be Al Franken! (Here's where I confess my fervent wish that someday Al will be Chief Justice, and we can all say we lived under the glorious days of the Frankencourt!)

• Love 3

Looks like it took the near end of TCR for Stephen to make peace with the GODLESS KILLING MACHINES!!!

Yeah Bernie Sanders. By rejecting the two party system, the 64 percent who didn't vote allowed the far, far, far worse of the two to gain more power in Congress. That's a winning move if there ever was one. If he runs for president as an independent, he'll guarantee the White House to a Republican, just like Ralph Nader did in 2000.

• Love 2

The world has turned upside down! The (bucket) apocalypse is nigh!

p.s. The audience was particularly annoying last night, but Stephen enjoyed their energy, so I feel bad for saying that.

Edited by Fremde Frau

The audience was particularly annoying last night, but Stephen enjoyed their energy, so I feel bad for saying that.

I feel as though every audience from now until the end of TCR will be like this because Stephen is on his 'farewell tour'. I wasn't annoyed during the first two segments - Stephen was enjoying them so much! - but they were a bit too intrusive during the Sanders interview.

The changing tag in the opening credits said "Best Before 12/18." Waaaah.

Last week, it promised a simulcast in Elvish, and I looked all over my tv settings to find it. Without success. Damn you TCR for teasing me!!!!

• Love 1

I know this is petty,  But I wish Eva did not seem so vapid in every interview as it leaves the gate.  The more I read about her and hear about her, I'm am in awe of what she has accomplished and what she pursues outside of Hollywood.  Considering how whip smart she is (two of my Ivy League professors who were total intellectual elitist dicks absolutely loved her when they worked with her as consultants on one of her projects), I have to wonder, outside of my own shortcomings, if a lot of what I see is learned affectation that got her through the whole Hollywood process.

Yeah Bernie Sanders. By rejecting the two party system, the 64 percent who didn't vote allowed the far, far, far worse of the two to gain more power in Congress. That's a winning move if there ever was one. If he runs for president as an independent, he'll guarantee the White House to a Republican, just like Ralph Nader did in 2000.

Maybe, but he could also pull Democrats to the left in response, against their own worst instincts, and increase turnout in their favor. A Warren primary challenge would do a better job of that, I admit.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

I still am for a Sanders/Warren ticket. Or even the other way around. 

I don't really think Hillary can win and if I am going to dream, I will dream big. 

I think she can win the popular vote, and the electoral college vote as in now stands. 

If Republicans succeed in changing the EC so that it favors their guy, then I don't think any Democrat can win:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/11/13/3592146/michigan-lawmaker-poised-to-resurrect-plan-that-could-rig-the-electoral-college-for-republicans/

One more terrible way of electing people: Electoral College.

The scary thing is, the republicans will succeed. for some reason, all the bad things they come up with, they accomplish. 

We were told this is a democracy? Is that right? Waiting to see it work for everyone

As for Hillary, if Sanders does not run, I might vote for her. Not because she is my candidate, but because I fear a republican. I have doubts she can win tough. Even as things stand today

If Bernie Sanders runs, then I will probably vote for him. I have to way and see, but it is not beyond me to take this stand

One more terrible way of electing people: Electoral College.

The scary thing is, the republicans will succeed. for some reason, all the bad things they come up with, they accomplish. 

We were told this is a democracy? Is that right? Waiting to see it work for everyone

As for Hillary, if Sanders does not run, I might vote for her. Not because she is my candidate, but because I fear a republican. I have doubts she can win tough. Even as things stand today

If Bernie Sanders runs, then I will probably vote for him. I have to way and see, but it is not beyond me to take this stand

Well, if Hillary can't win, then we're really screwed because Republicans will have all three branches again and that went over SO well the last time. You can kiss the Supreme Court and the ACA goodbye.

It's less common that the same party wins the White House three elections in a row, so I guess she's at a disadvantage there. But I do remember that there were a lot of women who were pretty passionate about voting for her in the primaries in 2008, so I assume she does still have a loyal base there that actively wants to vote for her. And the demographics are certainly on the Democrat's side. If, by 2016 people have woken up and realize that we are indisputably better off than we were when Obama first took office (because it's true), I'm sure they can run on a message that Democrats run this country better than Republicans. Whether they'll be smart enough to do that is another story.

I trust Hillary's competence in governing, but no so much her political skills. It would be a HUGE mistake to distance herself from Obama the way the idiot democrats did this last cycle. Plus, she was his secretary of state for god's sake, there's no getting around that. The best course of action would be to defend Democratic rule as having been a good thing and tout how much better things are and will continue to be with her in the White House.

But it all depends on who the Republicans run in the end. I still don't see anyone exciting their base, and I can't imagine somebody like Rand Paul could win the nomination.

• Love 1

I want Ted Cruz to run but not because I want him to win.  I just like all the late night comedy fodder. 

As for Sanders, I was thinking something along the lines of Latverian diplomat.  I'd have Sanders run against Hillary for the Democratic nom to at least partially arrest the horrible & continuing tendency of taking the left part of their base for granted.

• Love 1

So how come the people of Keene haven't arrested and charged these three asswipes? Maybe even harass them and tell them to get a fucking life.

After watching Lewis Black's segment on TDS earlier, it's nice to hear some retail chains are giving their employees Thanksgiving off.

Morrison makes such a wonderful guest.  And I have always hated that fewer people push back on "race" being a means to identify by skin tone.  I fall into the trap myself because a lot of people who should know better refuse to buck the habit.

I'm going to have pay more attention this year because any store that opens Thanksgiving Day is not getting my money until next year and they have seen the way.  Funny how they can bleat about the war on Christmas but the holiday unique to our nation and rooted in the myth of how our nation deservedly eked its way into existence gets a shrug and a lick of the lips over the word "money".

When I've heard it addressed, Sanders' would be running for the Democratic nomination (which would involve switching his party affiliation) to make sure there's someone to push Clinton to the left. That was during a radio interview, all the other interviews I've seen just asked him about running for president, not the party considerations.

I think it would be useless to oppose her from the left in the general. In 2000, Gore and the Democrats response to criticism for the many ways liberals were disappointed by Clinton was to triangulate hard and to try to win over the Nader supporters' votes with insults. (It's that 'Republicans fear their base, Democrats hate theirs" thing again.)

But honestly, I'm desperately hoping a dark horse shows up. I think Clinton is a terrible campaigner. She had so many awful moments in 2008 and some of her recent press appearances just reminded me of that. If she runs against anybody claiming to be a different kind of Republican (like the compassionate conservative) I think she'll lose.

I think she can win the popular vote, and the electoral college vote as in now stands. 

If Republicans succeed in changing the EC so that it favors their guy, then I don't think any Democrat can win:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/11/13/3592146/michigan-lawmaker-poised-to-resurrect-plan-that-could-rig-the-electoral-college-for-republicans/

The thing about making the electoral college based on congressional precients is that it seriously looks like an attempt to gerrymander the Presidential vote. I can kinda see the point of the EC to some degree, but this will be a way to make sure if the popular vote goes to the Democrat, the EC will go to the Republican.

Also, I came here to say I'm going to miss Esteban Colberto. I'm still hoping he'll turn up as the host of El Programa Tardes con Esteban Colberto.

Edited by Wax Lion
  • Love 2

What a fantastic interview. Stephen allowed her to speak without interrupting, and she was such a pleasure to listen to. Years ago when I read Song of Solomon, it became one of my favorite books.

I hope those Free Keane jerks are embarrassed by their segment here. However, they seem obtuse and too self-absorbed to question their behavior.

El Programa Tardes con Esteban Colberto.

El Programa Tardes Gigantes con Esteban Colberto, you mean. :)

I always admire Freedom Fighters who pick on literally the least powerful representative of local government. Way to stick it to the man! Who is usually a woman, which I suspect is part of the appeal for these dicks. And not for nothing, that the vet disliked his Keene time so much as to compare it unfavorably to a war zone just might be because he was subjected to harassment that was supposed to be a woman's lot. ("I'm a male meter maid.") And gosh, doesn't that just suck for a white guy!

I have relatives in NH, and my route there takes me through Keene. Now I'll flip 'em the bird as I drive through.

• Love 2

When I've heard it addressed, Sanders' would be running for the Democratic nomination (which would involve switching his party affiliation) to make sure there's someone to push Clinton to the left. That was during a radio interview, all the other interviews I've seen just asked him about running for president, not the party considerations.

I think it would be useless to oppose her from the left in the general. In 2000, Gore and the Democrats response to criticism for the many ways liberals were disappointed by Clinton was to triangulate hard and to try to win over the Nader supporters' votes with insults. (It's that 'Republicans fear their base, Democrats hate theirs" thing again.)

My personal opinions of Nader and his candidacy aside, there is a difference between running as a third party candidate, where you will if anything, be a spoiler for the candidate closest to your positions, and running in the primary. So, if that's true about Sanders running in the primary, that's good news. In 2008, I think Edwards pulled both Obama and Clinton to the left a little, and McCain was pulled to the right by the circus of crazy Republicans that year. For that reason, I think contested primaries help the Democrats and hurt the Republicans. 

• Love 1

After watching Lewis Black's segment on TDS earlier, it's nice to hear some retail chains are giving their employees Thanksgiving off.

As a nurse, I've worked more holidays than I care to remember, so I don't have the same level of outrage Lewis Black showed on TDS.  But I don't see what the retailers are going to gain by opening on Thanksgiving other than pulling customers who otherwise would have come on Friday.

• Love 1

I am really surprised the Keene people haven't been maced (partly because I don't think they act much better to civilians).  I'd like to see them talk to a cop that stopped to give them a speeding ticket like that and see if they don't end up having to duck their head into a patrol car.

These guys have a website where they are sadly proud of being lampooned on the show.  http://freekeene.com/2014/11/20/hilarious-colbert-report-lampoons-free-keene/#disqus_thread

Edited by soberdriver1

In 2008, I think Edwards pulled both Obama and Clinton to the left a little, and McCain was pulled to the right by the circus of crazy Republicans that year.

I don't think Obama had to be pulled to the left. He was the one who had lived his life working for the underprivileged and opposing war and all. If anything I think he had to drift right to become more middle of the road during that primary although he then and now has always stuck to his principles.

• Love 2

I don't think Obama had to be pulled to the left. He was the one who had lived his life working for the underprivileged and opposing war and all. If anything I think he had to drift right to become more middle of the road during that primary although he then and now has always stuck to his principles.

Well, we see things differently there. But this isn't the place for that discussion.