Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E05: Fan Fiction

• Start Topic

I kind of wondered if Dean was going to say he was Agent Wesson.  That would have been a nice callback.  (Except they were Dean Smith and Sam Wesson before.)

I think Mr. and Mr. Smith was a callback - though one that the students themselves wouldn't get - because I'm pretty sure that those were the aliases that Frank gave them after Leviathan Dean and Sam got them splashed all over the media and (awesomely amusing) Leviathan what's-his-name-who-wouldn't-die-for-Bobby explained how they hacked into all of the brothers' other aliases.

• Love 1

I just started re-watching clips wanted to state just how much I love Dean head bobbing to "it burned my mother and it cursed my brother." So wrong and hilarious.

THIS.  Reminds me of how Dean started to fit into the Hollywood Babylon set. I can only presume he's past the horrors of his childhood being sung to a catchy tune.

To be fair, I've been to a Supernatural convention, and can definitely see how the writers would get that impression of fandom.

Unfortunately I think Robbie Thompson has a good bead on the fandom and give him props for attempting to present a story that is both inclusive with a decent plot point.

Edited by SueB
  • Love 1

I loved this episode! I must admit I do tend to enjoy the META's but I absolutely loath musicals - that said I did love the Buffy musical episode. Loved Dean in this episode and yep like many a squealed like a fangirl when I saw Chuck - hadn't seen any spoilers but the minute she ran up the stairs I knew/hoped it was Chuck.

• Love 1

I'll put it in other media too, but here's the link to iTunes location to 3 songs PLUS a free download to "I'll Just Wait Here Then".  I don't think you can get the free download on iTunes, only at this WB link.

http://www.watertower-music.com/releases_spotlight.php?search=WTM39619_super200

ETA: WARNING: The lyrics to "A Single Man Tear" may result in DEAN FEELS of a gross sobbing nature.  You have been warned. 

Edited by SueB
  • Love 2

I really liked it, it was both hilarious and somewhat touching. Loads of nostalgia.

Now if this could mean that the bond between the brothers (and I mean the real bond, not the extreme co-dependency they verged into at one point) that used to be there was restored, that'd be perfect. Them hanging the "Samulet" in the Metallicar gave me a tiny hope, and even if there will be angst, I hope we'll see the guys go through it united rather than the perpetual miscommunication and lack of understanding they've had since mid S4.

• Love 5

It just occurred to me, what we saw was not the end of the episode. the end comes later, when the girls all go home and get into their beds and start thinking about Sam and Dean and their closeness, and all that SubtEXt.

I have hated all the previous meta episodes of Supernatural - all of them.  I LOVED this one.  I thought the writing and the acting was pitch perfect, and the two lead actresses were wonderful.  The writers touched on every single thing that is discussed by Supernatural fans, and I had some favorites scenes.  I loved Jensen breaking the fourth wall, and looking at the camera after the Destiel revelation.  His expression was "Really?"  I laughed out loud at that, and I laughed at Dean telling the two "Dean" and "Sam" characters to move further apart because they were standing too close together.  I loved all the Sam and Dean moments, and Sam snarking on the Destiel moniker.  Sticking in Adam was funny as well, and I did love the Sam amulet callback.  I had to laugh also at the moment when the girl goes all mushy for Sam and how he's so selfless, and Dean just rolled his eyes.  How much debate goes on about the Sam v. Dean characters and the favoring of Sam in the writing.  Lol.  

I loved all of this, and I think it was a great 200th episode love letter to the fans.  I only wish the two girls really did find out that they were the real Sam and Dean, but I liked the ending.  I liked seeing Chuck too.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 2

I have hated all the previous meta episodes of Supernatural - all of them.  I LOVED this one.  I thought the writing and the acting was pitch perfect, and the two lead actresses were wonderful.  The writers touched on every single thing that is discussed by Supernatural fans, and I had some favorites scenes.  I loved Jensen breaking the fourth wall, and looking at the camera after the Destiel revelation.  His expression was "Really?"  I laughed out loud at that, and I laughed at Dean telling the two "Dean" and "Sam" characters to move further apart because they were standing too close together.  I loved all the Sam and Dean moments, and Sam snarking on the Destiel moniker.  Sticking in Adam was funny as well, and I did love the Sam amulet callback.  I had to laugh also at the moment when the girl goes all mushy for Sam and how he's so selfless, and Dean just rolled his eyes.  How much debate goes on about the Sam v. Dean characters and the favoring of Sam in the writing.  Lol.  

I loved all of this, and I think it was a great 200th episode love letter to the fans.  I only wish the two girls really did find out that they were the real Sam and Dean, but I liked the ending.  I liked seeing Chuck too.

I guess I thought they did, since the original girl that played Sam heard the whole truth when they were captured and why Marie wanted Dean to have the amulet.

Fanfiction has so many broad stories that writers like to focus on,

Deaged Dean, or any other main character,

Lost sister and too many others to list, besides the few the show touched on so it was nice hearing stick to your Shakespeare allowing fanfiction writers to feel they can write even though the show will never acknowledged them other than this.

As A middle school drama teacher and having seen way too much bad high school shows as well, this one was really funny for me.  I laughed at the fun way of Mary dying on the ceiling and all the tricks they used some old and some brilliant such as the car.  I loved the brother moments.

Although Dean lost the fight, it didn't look like he wasn't trying but that he doesn't have the juice he had after he killed.  So perhaps some of the issue is, he hasn't killed anything but he did give it his all, so I didn't  cringe that much, but it is time for Dean to save the day.

I loved musicals so I found this one really strong and agree with so many of the positive thoughts others have already stated.  I didn't feel let down and I did feel it was a love letter to all fans.  Although I would be fine if this is the last time we see Chuck and I guess I interpreted it as the show did what he wanted it to do, it got Dean and Sam back on the road together.  Please keep it that way for a bit.  Then when you go back for the angst can it be Sam supporting his brother...please.

Edited by 7kstar
  • Love 2

I have only one nitpick with this episode. I've watched the "Carry On My Wayward Son" clip on Youtube more times than I'm willing to admit. OK, maybe six, or seven. I thought they promised the song would be released for sale.

Darn it all.

• Love 2

Did anyone else think Marie's whole spiel about being unable to leave it after "Swan Song" and having to write her own ending with all the crazy stuff she wanted to throw in there was a nod to (or dig at) Sera Gamble? (Gamble took over as executive producer after "Swan Song" and her season is pretty much universally recognized as SPN's worst, since no one expected it to have a 6th season, so they pretty much pulled stuff out of their butts for most of it until they figured out where the hell they were going to go.) As soon as she got really into that speech, I sat up really straight and said "Marie is Sera Gamble!" to the TV. Of course, then as the episode progressed it became clear that Marie's vision really was supposed to represent FAN works and the Winchesters' (and SPN crew's) acceptance of and appreciation for the all the insanity that fandom brings to their story.

But part of me is still wondering if it was a coincidence.

I just started re-watching clips wanted to state just how much I love Dean head bobbing to "it burned my mother and it cursed my brother." So wrong and hilarious.

My favorite moment too. So very wrong.

Also loved. The credits. "It's close but it needs a little more arrrgh .....and then we get ALL previous credits!

I know I'm going to call it the bowel movement scene from now on.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 2

Haven't watched an episode of Supernatural in ages, but when I heard what the 200th was about I had to watch it. Oh my Chuck, I was dying. Dying. A Single Man Tear. And the cover of Carry On! The bowel movement scenes! Forgotten Adam -- I was also like, who the eff is that? I loved everything about it. Not sure if it was enough to get me back into Supernatural, but...it reminded me of a time when I loved this show. Lots of nostalgia. Thanks, show.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 2

That was awesome.

I always like when the writers throw something in to remind everyone that Dean really is a bit of a geek and a dork.  He likes to act like the "I'm too cool for that" guy, but he really is a geek.  Like the LARPing at Moondor, he wants to throw himself into it and have fun.

• Love 6

I just loved, loved, loved this episode. I hate musicals (w/ the exception of Buffy's Once More, With Feeling) and I was a touch worried about how this would go down but I suspected they could do it and I was right! What an uplifting episode! I've always been pleased with the meta episodes. I think this is now my favorite episode of Supernatural, ever.

P.S. @Slovenly Muse: Sera Gamble also ran Season 7. I think that one was actually the worst.

I think Mr. and Mr. Smith was a callback - though one that the students themselves wouldn't get - because I'm pretty sure that those were the aliases that Frank gave them after Leviathan Dean and Sam got them splashed all over the media and (awesomely amusing) Leviathan what's-his-name-who-wouldn't-die-for-Bobby explained how they hacked into all of the brothers' other aliases.

The "Smith, no relation" is a callback to an epiosde where they used that exact line. I don't remember which episode or season it was in.

• Love 1

I started laughing out loud at the beginning, when the play director said the Supernatural poster needed something ... then all the Supernatural splash screens started flashing, including one I caught that was Supernatural coming out of Bonanza's burning Ponderosa map. Then laughing started again when Sam and Dean pulled out their fake FBI badges only to be immediately mimicked by the two actors on stage. Brilliant.

Best episode in a LONG time, and a big relief from Sam-The-Demon eps. At the end, though, instead of Chuck being there I thought it was going to be Crowley. Still, Chuck ... well done, show.

• Love 2

I always like when the writers throw something in to remind everyone that Dean really is a bit of a geek and a dork.  He likes to act like the "I'm too cool for that" guy, but he really is a geek.  Like the LARPing at Moondor, he wants to throw himself into it and have fun.

I actually thought it was a mistake to make Sam the one who took theatre back in school since Dean so obviously fit in behind the scenes in "Hollywood Babylon." It seems to line up more with his interests.

Couldn't help noticing the hints at the beginning of the episode that indicate that Dean is not sleeping -- it's early morning, and he's had enough time to clean the engine until it's gleaming AND find a case before Sam even wakes up. The Mark of Cain is still definitely very much in play.

• Love 3

I read somewhere long, long ago that fanfic steps in to fill in the gaps when the show's writers don't show us what we want to see.

So here we have an episode where the writers use a work of fanfic to hit the boys over the head with the issues we've wanted them to deal with for like ever (although yes, conveniently sidestepping more recent events)--how much they mean to each other, the epic journey that they're on. The musical gives them the catharsis we've been asking for so they can begin to move forward, (No promises how long it will last, but...)

Wow.

• Love 7

I actually thought it was a mistake to make Sam the one who took theatre back in school since Dean so obviously fit in behind the scenes in "Hollywood Babylon." It seems to line up more with his interests.

But they actually set up Sam doing theater back in S1. I think it was Shadow where Dean mocks Sam for being a theater dork and was long before Dean's stint as a PA at the end of S2. I thought it was nice that they actually remembered something and even though Dean's more into movies, I think it's fitting that Sam was more into theater.

• Love 6

Let's face it, Sam's always been more of a drama queen. ;)

I think it makes perfect sense that Sam's always been the one to aggressively try to do normal things and have a normal life, like he needs that escape hatch, even if it's just an illusion. Dean's almost never been able to give himself and inch towards the idea of having a normal life, or doing something normal with his life, even though he obviously wants it very desperately. He won't acknowledge it, because then he'd have to accept that he can't have it. That's been more or less consistent throughout the series, emphasis on the "more or less."

So yes, Sam joined the theatre club, and Dean didn't, even though he secretly loves it. I wouldn't expect anything different!

• Love 7

IA. We got two sides of Dean's high school life. One pre-Bad Boys, where it appeared taking care of Sammy was his goal in life and he was pretty isolated in that. Then DURING Bad Boys it appeared 'belonging' was a new concept for him and he fit in well. Then after that we have the more hard-boiled Dean who is hiding loneliness with bravado. I think in all but during his stint with Sonny, his life was too whack to go theater. We've had a couple of indications that Sam had longer stints in one location than Dean. That John started using Dean for hunting help while Sam was still in school. And Dean had already dropped out of high School for most of Sam's high school years, so there's a chance Sam got longer stints because John could leave them for bigger stretches. Plus Sam had a strong leaning to 'normal' that Dean gave up on. Combine that with Sam's love of academia and having suffient grades for a full-ride to Stanford. All this suggests, IMO, that Sam probably had a more normal experience compared to Dean. Thus drama class.

• Love 1

P.S. @Slovenly Muse: Sera Gamble also ran Season 7. I think that one was actually the worst.

The "Smith, no relation" is a callback to an epiosde where they used that exact line. I don't remember which episode or season it was in.

It was a call back to Slash Fiction when they had to go underground

We're all correct in a way. I google fu'd it. The line - which is a quote from Die Hard - was in "Time After Time...", but those actual aliases Mr. and Mr. Smith were given to them with that wording (rather than special agents Smith and Smith) by Frank in  "Slash Fiction" the episode I described and catrox14 named. So you're correct echo that it was a direct quote from another episode ("Time After Time...") - which was in turn a Die Hard quote - but the Smith aliases were given to them by Frank in "Slash Fiction." Both were season 7 episodes - and good ones in my opinion. "Slash Fiction" would definitely be in my top 20 list. So season 7 reference all around there.

I know season 7 gets a bad rap, and the overall arc is a little slower than most seasons, but - unpopular opinion -  I actually liked it, and definitely didn't think it was the worst. (For me that would be season 8 and 9 - by a lot). I even for many reasons enjoyed it more than season 4, which though likely better in quality was much less enjoyable for me than season 7.

This episode - and this season so far - is bringing me hope that maybe we can return to the brotherly dynamic of season 7 - where Sam and Dean actually communicated with each other. And actually this episode sort of had a season 7 feel to me - like end of "Hello Cruel World," end of  "The Mentalists", and end of "Plucky Pennywhistle..." vibes - though I know I'm likely going to be alone in that.

• Love 1

I know season 7 gets a bad rap, and the overall arc is a little slower than most seasons, but - unpopular opinion -  I actually liked it, and definitely didn't think it was the worst. (For me that would be season 8 and 9 - by a lot).

*snip*

This episode - and this season so far - is bringing me hope that maybe we can return to the brotherly dynamic of season 7 - where Sam and Dean actually communicated with each other. And actually this episode sort of had a season 7 feel to me - like end of "Hello Cruel World," end of  "The Mentalists", and end of "Plucky Pennywhistle..." vibes - though I know I'm likely going to be alone in that.

You're not alone.  I like season 7 infinitely better than either seasons 8 or 9.  And if the tone of this episode carries over into the rest of the season, I will be so, so pleased.   

• Love 5

It feels so weird to have an episode of Supernatural saved on my DVR again after two and a half years. (I admit to dropping the show before the end of season 7, but "Hello Cruel World" and "Plucky Pennywhistle" are still definite highlights in my memory.) I thought for sure I'd just catch the (what I thought would be) few good parts of the 200th ep on Hulu later, but at the last minute I decided to go ahead and hit the "record" button. So glad I did.

I loved pretty much everything everybody else has already mentioned. It was all the little touches that got to me -- and I keep having to stop myself from trying to list all of them right now. Jensen looking directly at the camera might be my favorite. But one moment that made me snicker was when Sam and Maeve where in the tech booth and he was trying to ask if she'd heard any strange noises during the rehearsals, and she starts demonstrating potential noises with the sound board. Her expression throughout was just hilariously bored and unconcerned -- it's the set of "Supernatural", they hear those noises all the time. (And of course as soon as she leaves Sam with "Please don't touch anything," he immediately starts playing with the control panel.) The girls in this episode were awesome. I just had to download that sweet, gentle version of "Carry On Wayward Son."

• Love 1

IA. We got two sides of Dean's high school life. One pre-Bad Boys, where it appeared taking care of Sammy was his goal in life and he was pretty isolated in that. Then DURING Bad Boys it appeared 'belonging' was a new concept for him and he fit in well. Then after that we have the more hard-boiled Dean who is hiding loneliness with bravado. I think in all but during his stint with Sonny, his life was too whack to go theater. We've had a couple of indications that Sam had longer stints in one location than Dean. That John started using Dean for hunting help while Sam was still in school. And Dean had already dropped out of high School for most of Sam's high school years, so there's a chance Sam got longer stints because John could leave them for bigger stretches. Plus Sam had a strong leaning to 'normal' that Dean gave up on. Combine that with Sam's love of academia and having suffient grades for a full-ride to Stanford. All this suggests, IMO, that Sam probably had a more normal experience compared to Dean. Thus drama class.

I agree that I think Sam had the chance for a more normal school life, hence participating in theatre... but it sounded to me that despite being pulled into the hunter world, Dean was still there to support Sam- he knew the two shows that Sam was involved in... he knew that Sam had only done tech for Oklahoma (loved the Wolverine crack, BTW) and I got the impression that Dean had seen the performance of the other one (was it Our Town? There were too many shows named dropped I can't remember who said which one). Which is consistent with Dean being there for Sam more than their dad ever was.

• Love 4

It's also a Die Hard reference, the 2 FBI agents are both Agent Johnson, when they introduced themselves they followed up with "No relation."

I think it was Shadow where Dean mocks Sam for being a theater dork

Pretty much. I thought it was a callback to when they were wearing those clean-up handyman outfits, Dean complains that he and dad never needed such stupid costumes.

Dean: I feel like a highschool drama dork. What was that play that you did, what was that? Our Town. Yeah, you were good, it was cute.

I'm very proud of myself that I got it almost right BEFORE I looked it up!

• Love 4

Upon having proper sleep (because I haven't had much lately) I have enjoyed the episode more upon re-watch, but I still don't like the reappearance of the Samulet or Chuck. 

I've decided this is my favorite moment of the episode

tumblr_nexhuwjPlj1si6s76o1_500.gif

• Love 3

I love a meta episode.  Love, but wasn't really enthused with this one.  Although it got better one re watch, admittedly because I was paying more attention and got more of the inside jokes.

I get why they did it.  It solves the dilemma of honoring the past characters on the 200th without having to overcome that they are all dead.  But I've seen most of these jokes before in every other meta episode.  So the parts I liked best were those that seemed fresher like Castiel's solo about doing nothing and waiting for Dean to call and the nod to viewers that they realize that Adam is still in the cage and his brothers do nothing.  I've seen the BM joke too many times to find it funny anymore.

I don't read fan fiction for this show often but one I did happen to read once revealed that Dean was Deanna and masquerading as a girl the whole time so I LOL'd to find out that was a thing in Supernatural fandom, enough to make it into the show.  I did know the variations of Dean slashfic were a thing.

I think my enjoyment was lessened because I'm just not as into the show as I was around 'The French Mistake'.

I really, really enjoyed that episode.

And the show remembers Adam exists! Now, it would be nice if they actually followed up on it. Calliope was right, you really can tap your toes to those musical numbers! Where are the MP.3s of them? Seriously. I want them.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed it. I would watch it again. I haven't had a huge appreciation for all the meta episodes but when I watched "A Very Special Supernatural" I got a better insight into why they make these episodes and I appreciate them a bit better as a part of the show's construct. I thought it was a lot of fun...most of y'all have already picked out all the  good bits to talk about. At first I thought the Calliope piece of the plot was the weakest but as someone else mentioned, if Chuck/God loved it then it stands to reason that his muses would too. I downloaded all the music already :https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/supernatural-musical-songs/id940720595

As a theater nerd turned grown-up theater artist I alternately hugged myself and cringed at all the self-important, overly earnest and yet sweetly smart touches the girls put on their version of the story. The stage craft was hilarious. And yes, the version of Carry On My Wayward Son was so lovely...I wish it was a little longer! 

• Love 1

I haven't watched this show since the Bobby episode of season 6 but I tuned in for this one and it was really fun.  I won't rehash what everyone else has already posted but I do agree with you on how great it was.  One thing that never gets old for me is That Look Dean gets whenever the subject of Wincest comes up.  It just sends me into a fit of giggles. 

• Love 2

I loved this!

I'm not gonna lie, I was laughing so much that I honestly thought Marie was saying the girls who were playing "Sam" and "Dean" were a couple in real life.

I thought, oh no, they didn't! Talk about hearing what you want to hear.

I thought so too, and they mentioned it in the IGN review, so we may be wrong but we're not alone.

Your ears didn't deceive you, but it was Siobhan and Kristen, "Dean" and "Cas."

• Love 1

Dean hangs a replacement Samulet on the mirror of his car... then Chuck appears. Coincidence? ;-)

In Maries interpretation maybe.

This is why I didn't want the amulet to see the light of day again. it opens up a can of worms that had been closed. It really bothers me that Dean kept the fake one because It implies that Dean was wrong to have thrown away the real one which implies a whole lot of other shit about how Dean views or should view Sam. That once more Sam is the most important thing in dean's life which we just spent a season learning that Dean continuing to make Sam the most important thing in his life was unhealthy because Dean couldn't let Sam die which lead to Dean aloowing an angel to possess Sam which lead to Kevins death which lead to Dean becoming a demon.

So why does the show want to bring back the symbol of the time when Dean was so attached and devoted to Sam that he made a deal to go to hell so Sam could live?

Dean didn't throw away the samulet until AFTER learning from Joshua that God had already left the building and didn't think the apocalypse was his problem and after he learned that Sams best memories were leaving the family and being away from Dean.

Edited by catrox14

I was happy to see the amulet again for one reason: I love the jewelry. In fact, I forgot to mention it earlier, but one of my favorite parts was at the beginning when Marie is fussing at "Dean" for not having the amulet on, and the girl playing Dean complains that she took it off because "it kept hitting me in the face." I remember when Dean's jewelry first started disappearing, and when Jensen was asked about it, his response was basically that the jewelry (amulet, ring, etc.) was getting so beat up from use on set that it was just difficult to keep up with, so he stopped wearing them. Of course, since the amulet was such a focus, it couldn't just disappear. Thus, it was written out in the grand tradition of deaths on SPN: by giving it a plot twist that makes it unnecessarily complicated to bring back. (I kid, sort of.)

I could be wrong, but I don't think the amulet was supposed to be tied to Chuck for the purposes of this episode. Just a coincidental hazard of trying to pay tribute to several different things in one neatly-wrapped package.

• Love 2

This is why I didn't want the amulet to see the light of day again. it opens up a can of worms that had been closed. It really bothers me that Dean kept the fake one because It implies that Dean was wrong to have thrown away the real one which implies a whole lot of other shit about how Dean views or should view Sam. That once more Sam is the most important thing in dean's life which we just spent a season learning that Dean continuing to make Sam the most important thing in his life was unhealthy because Dean couldn't let Sam die which lead to Dean aloowing an angel to possess Sam which lead to Kevins death which lead to Dean becoming a demon.

I have a different perspective.  Not my own, BTW, someone on Tumblr.  I'd love to CREDIT that someone but Tumblr is just USER F*CKING HOSTILE and I couldn't find the original poster out there.  /rantoff   So... understanding the idea is NOT MINE, here's the theory I support:

By placing the Samulet on the mirror, in between the two, we ARE seeing growth for Dean.  Before, the Samulet was not just the brotherly bond but a gift from Sam to his Dad -- which he gave to DEAN. Which made it represent the parentification of Dean as Sam's caregiver.  By no longer having it around his neck, but in between them, it's no longer a millstone around Dean's neck.  There's the mutual bond but it's a shared load, where they are now responsible for taking care of each other. Not just Dean taking care of Sam (from a symbolic perspective).

Personally I think that's a lovely notion and have made it my own headcannon until told otherwise. It think the theory holds water because Robbie Thompson has mentioned the parentification issue in interviews.  This makes me think that he would be sensitive to Dean emotionally going backwards in the relationship and would not want that to happen. 

Edited by SueB
  • Love 8