Type keyword(s) to search

Glee Relationships: Taking the fun out of disfunctional!

caracas1914

So now that Glee is ending, it's sort of awe inspiring how they ruined 99 % of the romantic relationships on the show.

The exception?  Carole/Burt; but only  because the poor woman was locked in the basement for most seasons.

FInchel, Wemma, Brittana, Klaine, Tike, Sam/(pick a girl) etc,  the roadkill list goes on and on. 

Edited by caracas1914

For a show full of sexy young people with lots of romances it's amazing how unsexy and unromantic it is. The only relationships I ever liked were ones that got very little screen time (Quick, Tike) so relied on the chemistry of the actors.

The Sam (and pick a girl) is the most pathetic.   It's like just insert a female character, lower her IQ (Brittany, Nurse Penny) or make her a virgin,(Quinn, Mercedes) to make roadblocks to their relationship, other than making them a lesbian (Santana) or someone he doesn't actually like (Tina). Of course you make a gay man want to bed him (Blaine) but the Sam is too straight  for that, but pile on the homo eroticism none the less.   This character seems a parody of a straight romantic lead who's only function is to show he has a penis..

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

Oh man, I just remembered the Rory/Sugar/Artie triangle from one of the Valentine's Day episodes. Who to pick between "come here, woman" and "if you don't date me I'll get deported"?

• Love 3

Many relationships were fucked up but the worst IMHO was Beiste and Cooter.

At least Beiste and Cooper's relationship was deliberately meant by the writers to be problematic and fucked up.

But we're supposed to view most of the endgame couples on Glee as romantic and healthy, soulmates and blahblah, when for quite a few of those relationships the word (mentally) abusive applies just as well.

• Love 5

You know one thing I find weird about this show... No-one really questioned their sexuality.

Possibly you could argued Brittany did, but they never really said if she liked women outside of Santana, and she never really had an issue with being with a woman if she's straight (or bi-curious as she said in Born This Way and Choke). But that was pretty much it, everyone else was dead sure. Even Quinn when she sleeps with Santana says its just experimentation.

Blam might've been slightly interesting if Sam had responded to Blaine's crush. Okay, maybe not, nothing would make those two interesting.

The show tries to pretend it's groundbreaking regarding sexuality but we've got a gay couple, a lesbian couple, and everyone else is straight and never questions whether it could be anything else. Hardly groundbreaking.

Of course in Season 4 once Unique was revealed as the catfish poster the show  had to back away from Ryder doing anything with that knowledge.  White Straight males are the sacred cow of this show.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Copying over comments from 6x03 in relation to Kurt/Blaine/Karofsky and why Kurt's still into Blaine even after he found out about Dave and Blaine sitting in a tree...

Yeah, the story might have been interesting if they did go a bit dark here. Kurt's not the only one who needs counseling. There are so many reasons why they broke up and Blaine had issues, but it doesn't seem like any of that is going to be addressed. Kurt misses what they used to be and Blaine seems to not be able to move past that idyllic version of them as a couple (Warbler/Lima Bean fantasy musical sequence that didn't even attempt to try to make Kurt's hair look like it was back then). Then, mix in the Karofsky baggage and Blaine moving fast in a new relationship that seems to be going smoothly when it was just bump after bump after bump with the two "epic" lovers. So, Kurt still needs convincing to move on. Ugh. But the heart wants what it wants... Double ugh.

With so much Klaine talk in multiple threads, I wanted to summarize my thoughts here. Kurt and Blaine are bad for one another. It's been repeatedly shown on screen and through the writing. Kurt/Chris fans are mad that he is reduced to nothing but half of a couple, but Blaine/Darren fans are mad about the same thing. Why not break them up? Give them both something else to do? Give them new love interests? Someone cute for Blaine who will fawn all over what a great singer, dancer, piano player, person, etc that Blaine is. Someone older, wiser, taller for Kurt who will compliment him and treat him as an equal.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's amazing when you think about it.  BOTH Kurt and Blaine have pretty good reasons never to want to hook up ever again.   Kurt dumped Blaine after being engaged which resulted in Blaine spiraling to the point of letting his grades go to hell and getting kicked out of NYADA.

Kurt finds out that Blaine is now living/fucking the one boy who made his life a living hell and stole Kurt's first kiss.

Yet the shipper/pseudolesbians fans cling like  a barnacle  to the fact both boys now  "are in therapy" to show they are ready to get back together and married.   As if any therapist worth their degree wouldn't have told both Kurt/Blaine "Keep the fuck away" from the other for their own mental health and sanity.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

the fact both boys now "are in therapy" to show they are ready to get back together and married.

Was it one line in the premiere that I missed? Did they go to therapy together when they were in NY or are they currently going to therapy (separately)? I know Kurt said he was going to therapy (at least up until he came back to Lima), but he's not the only one with issues to work out...
(edited)
Was it one line in the premiere that I missed?

Either episodes 6.01/6.02 in different scenes both Kurt and Blaine referred to being  in therapy.  Blaine mentioned that his therapist advised him to get back to what he loved: music.

Edited by caracas1914

Hmm...OK, but since then no mentions? 'Cause Blaine seems to have an awful lot of extra time on his hands...I'm not so sure he's still going to therapy. LOL Regardless, I don't know how a couple mentions and supposed off-screen self-reflection/-improvements are going to help them be ready for marriage. Any couples' counselor who wouldn't refund their money and tell them don't bother after seeing them interact for five seconds should have his/her license revoked!

Edited by indeed

I'm still shocked by how unromantic Glee is. It's like it written by people who have no idea how to exist in a relationship unless it's going through turmoil.

Even the healthiest relationships on the show don't have that many happy, romantic moments. And by that I don't mean big moments like getting together, or proposals. Just nice romantic moments. Tike always had a few, mostly because it saved giving them an actual storyline. But Finchel, Klaine, Brittana, them main couples on the show and I don't remember that many. Certainly not compared with other teen TV shows. I mean I don't even remember them making out that much. I mean I get why with Klaine and Brittana, but what was their excuse with Finchel?

Also, this show made sex look so unsexy. The scene at the end of 'We've Got Tonight' in 'I Do' where Finn and Rachel get into bed together is the most unsexy sex scene between two nineteen year olds you could possibly find. I mean seriously, they look like they're about to have a discussion about the weather, not have sex.

There's actually at least twice where they actually creep me out. The scene where Brittany and Artie have sex completely creeps me out. There's no preamble, no flirting, I don't even think they make out. Who does that? Especially at 16/17? The other is when Jake tells Bree he want to have sex with her and they leave together. I've never seen two people who look like they want to have sex less, whether the actors didn't like each other, or the storyline or it was actually written like that, I don't know but it's horrible.

Seriously how hard is it to do this stuff even remotely well?

(edited)
I'm still shocked by how unromantic Glee is. It's like it written by people who have no idea how to exist in a relationship unless it's going through turmoil.

Ryan and Brad created/wrote "Nip/Tuck".  That tells you all you need to know about their views on relationships and how to write them.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Ryan and Brad created/wrote "Nip/Tuck". That tells you all you need to know about their views on relationships and how to write them.

Never seen it!

Oh my.  I don't know whether you should or not.

What the hell, take the red  pill!!!

Ryan hasn't been in the business of uplifting romance. I think twisted may be his operative word. This was obvious even in Popular.

I don't mind it being twisted if it was sold as twisted. But they keep trying to say these are undying love affairs.

Now, there were some romantic things in The New Normal, it was just a really bad show!

"The New Normal" was boring.   The main gay couple induced such zzzzzzzz.

Which goes back to Ryan/Brad cannot write relationships.

From the Transitioning episode:

What is up with Kurt? He's trying to get Blaine while still dating the old guy? You know what, those two (Kurt and Blaine) are made for each other....

This so much. I have stayed true to my promise to not watch one single second of this god-awful season, but I still read the threads and one or two of the recaps and frankly, in my opinion, for all that  Blaine gets shit on, Kurt seems to get a lot of pass and from where I'm sitting, I think they're both kind of a hot mess and maybe deserve each other in a "they can be miserable together forever."

I just think all of Blaine's faults and shit get brought up all the time but none of Kurt's. Okay so Blaine kissed Kurt this episode which apparently proves again what an awful cheater he is and always will be because well we know, he screwed the lighthouse. But while Kurt may not have kissed Blaine, he's rigging stupid little contests or whatever to get them to sing together while he's supposedly dating someone else.

And as much as Blaine's cheating gets brought up all the time as evidenced of his apparently being a serial cheater (yes, I guess kissing Kurt in that episode makes him a serial cheater), the fact that Kurt spent an entire weekend banging Blaine while he was dating Adam in S4 is never made an issue. And before it's stated, I know the argument to come - they weren't really together. Sure and yet he couldn't wait to shut Santana up when she was about to bring it up in front of Adam.

Again if you go down the history, both of these idiots have been immature and awful to each other at times. Hell you can go all the way back to S3 where Blaine, freaked out about Kurt leaving after graduation decides to pull away and become distant. Kurt, instead of saying "hey you're being distant and weird", starts flirt texting some weirdo guy and then angrily and stubbornly refuses to admit he did anything wrong. Blaine replies by singing some angry cheating song in front of the whole club.

Last season, yes Blaine was creepy and clingy when he got to New York but what did it say about Kurt, living with the guy he declared he wanted to spend the rest of his life with but was ranting about Blaine moving things in HIS apartment and it was HIS space. As needy and clingy as Blaine was, there were many times during that NY arc that I almost didn't blame him for being insecure about Kurt leaving him because Kurt sure looked and acted like he was barely tolerating Blaine a lot of the time. 

And then he does eventually dump him over some silly, nonsensical thing, deciding they're not ready to be married and are over. And then they don't speak or see each for how many months. But then with no attempts to reconcile just a friendship first at least, Kurt, after some horrible speed dating attempts I guess decides sadly that Blaine and his nutty self may be the best he can do and just comes back, expecting them to get back together. Meanwhile Blaine is supposedly in therapy but this therapist clearly sucks because somehow Blaine is never told that dating his ex's former tormentor is beyond disturbing. But both Kurt and Blaine just seem to overlook that creepy and disturbing factor because well I guess the writing needed them to. And while Kurt is still pining for Blaine, he starts diddling grandpa who's older than his dad and lied about himself on some dating site. 

I mean it certainly goes without saying that those two idiots need to never be near each other ever except to politely say "hello" and "how are you doing?" But whatever, in keeping with the complete and utter crap writing 101 the writers are delivering this season, they will get back together. It is however my unpopular opinion, that the horrible reunion won't be just about Blaine being horrible but their both being so. Those two getting together is ridiculous because Blaine will still be the needy, clingy weirdo that he is and Kurt will still be cold and distant and they will continue to be awful together and to each other.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 7

Pretty sure caracas1914 was mocking all the Klaine fans who use "endgame" and "soulmates" as an excuse for every terrible thing these characters do to each other. Who cares if they're manipulative, abusive cheaters? They're SOULMATES!

• Love 3

Yup.

Even now Klainers are saying it is NOT cheating if it's your soulmate.

I completely agree that Klaine are not healthy for each other. But the show is going to shovel them togeher even more hurriedly and implausibly than the first grand proposal.

It's never been established they can even stand to live together and yet we are suppose to buy that they are ready for fucking marriage? Needy Possesive Blaine is going to cheat on Kurt while Kurt will scream at Blaine if he moves one item around in HIS apartment.

A match made in heaven. Maybe Edward Albee's "Whos afraid of Virginia Woolf" heaven, or is it hell?

Edited by caracas1914

It is however my unpopular opinion, that the horrible reunion won't be just about Blaine being horrible but their both being so. Those two getting together is ridiculous because Blaine will still be the needy, clingy weirdo that he is and Kurt will still be cold and distant and they will continue to be awful together and to each other.

At different points in the series, I've gone back-and-forth on who is the bigger asshole. Right now, I am at the point in agreeing with this, and saying I don't care about either of them anymore. Kurt pissed me off more this time, because yeah, why is he still hanging out with Walter after Blaine kissed him, and why didn't he talk to Blaine about the fact they kissed? 

Eh, whatever, I kind of hate everyone on this show who isn't a Latina lesbian. 

Speaking of Klaine though, I never got why people are so fixated on Blaine cheating. EVERYONE on this show has cheated at some point. It's as common as a papercut on Glee, and even though I like Quinn, I think she wins the worst cheating incident on the show (because she also lied about having Finn's baby which is really messed up). And he did come clean relatively quickly about it (again, unlike Quinn). 

• Love 1

Maybe semantics, but Blaine kissed Kurt and ran off without a word and was still living with Karofsky two days after the fact. I would think even in the fucked up world of Glee Kurt would figure out it was an "impluse" thing by Blaine.

The ball was on Blaine's court, since he's the one in a committed relationship.

Having said that, these two characters are toxic together.

• Love 3

Pretty sure caracas1914 was mocking all the Klaine fans who use "endgame" and "soulmates" as an excuse for every terrible thing these characters do to each other. Who cares if they're manipulative, abusive cheaters? They're SOULMATES!

Oh got it. Well like I said once, shippers will ship. Usually by the point Kurt/Blaine are at right now it's only a handful but you'll always get that small group who will go down with their ship to the bitter end and will take the so called "happy ending" when it comes, no matter how awful it is. They've held on forever and by goodness they will have their happy ending. I've seen it with too many fandoms to count.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I find that writers tend to actually think the most toxic relationships are the soul mates. That applies times 2 to Glee writers. Because if there was a relationship more toxic than Klaine..it was Finchel...

Still, whatever..no one but Blaine and Kurt deserve Blaine and Kurt's bullshit. 

I find that the relationships that have the most screen time end up having the most dysfunctional dynamics, though sometimes brief relationships are terrible too but they're usually done on purpose.

I struggle to think of one platonic or romantic relationship in the Glee Club that I root for.

• Love 1

I thought Elliot/Kurt was probably the best, a platonic friendship but that was probably because they were stuck in the minor narrative for just a handful of episodes.

It ended on a sort of okay note but there was a whole section where Kurt was jealous that Elliot was talented and would steal focus from his band as a result of him always competing with Rachel for song time.

Yea, but the point was that Kurt/Elliot worked it out, clarfied they could be great together and by the end Elliot could even joke to Kurt about his sex life with Klaine. Elliot had a bemused take on the crazy Glee kids.

I can't think of any other platonic friendship/relationship on Glee that was that balanced in the end.

BLAM doesn't really count because Blaine wanted to fuck Sam, so there went the platonic.

Edited by caracas1914

There are several times where a platonic friendship would have been great, and they end up making it a relationship (either unrequited love, a love triangle, or just some terribly written hookup no one wants). The few that come to mind immediately are Puck/Rachel, Sam/Brittany, and Blaine/Sam.

Other platonic friendships that had promise and just disappeared: Santana/Kurt, Kurt/Mercedes, Mercedes/Quinn, Quinn/Artie, Rachel/Santana. (Though with Rachel/Santana they torpedoed it to hell)

• Love 1

Yea, but the point was that Kurt/Elliot worked it out, clarfied they could be great together and by the end Elliot could even joke to Kurt about his sex life with Klaine. Elliot had a bemused take on the crazy Glee kids.

I can't think of any other platonic friendship/relationship on Glee that was that balanced in the end.

BLAM doesn't really count because Blaine wanted to fuck Sam, so there went the platonic.

True they ended on a good note and I guess that's as good as it gets in the Gleeverse

Plus BLAM doesn't seem to be a thing any more so another random relationship shoved under the rug.

• Love 1

I like Bieste and Puck. (And Sam, to an extent.) 

And despite doing crappy things to each other Puck and Finn were pretty good. Blaine and Rachel aren't horrible either. Sue and Becky. There's a few platonic friendships that are fine. 

And really, Sam and Rachel aren't bad. It's just weird because it's out of nowhere. 

Ironically, Brittany and Santana have a pretty solid relationship. Which is funny because it only exists because fans want it. 

I like Bieste and Puck. (And Sam, to an extent.) 

And despite doing crappy things to each other Puck and Finn were pretty good. Blaine and Rachel aren't horrible either. Sue and Becky. There's a few platonic friendships that are fine. 

And really, Sam and Rachel aren't bad. It's just weird because it's out of nowhere. 

Ironically, Brittany and Santana have a pretty solid relationship. Which is funny because it only exists because fans want it. 

I don't know about Puck and Finn, Puck was going to let Finn take the fall for his baby, then there's the hooking up with Quinn behind his best friends back and the thing with Rachel not long afterwards.

Sam and Rachel aren't bad they just have nothing in common other than singing which Sam doesn't take as seriously as Rachel. Rachel can't even be bothered listening to him talk about himself for more than 10 seconds.

Becky and Sue are all sorts of twisted mostly because of Sue, Sue has turned Becky into a clone of herself but minus the rare moment of human compassion. Plus there was that whole Sue covering up Becky's firing of a gun in school and the replaying out of a relationship that Sue had with her sister with a student and continuing it on past her schooling. It's all sorts of creepy.

Britney and Santana have their own issues, Britney seesaws between mathematical genius and an overgrown 12 year old who talks about sex at inappropriate moments to everyone. It makes Santana doting vaguely condescending love on her kind of 'off' for me.

I don't remember anything particularly offensive about the Beiste/Sam/Puck relationship (other than the lack of boundaries between the teacher/students) so I guess we have them to add to the list with Kurt and Elliot.

Edited by wayne67

I thought both Kurt/Mercedes and Kurt/Elliot where fairly healthy friendships, and partly because neither was in direct competition with one another.   Kurt viewed Elliot initially as a rival, and I liked how he overcame those reservations.

Kurt/Mercedes joining Cheerios, and Kurt/Elliot heading a band was one of the few joint ventures on Glee were the participants didn't devolve into either hating each other or falling into bed.  Plus there was no fabricated sexual tension.

• Love 6