Type keyword(s) to search

Musical Pet Peeves

Joe
  • Start Topic

In a completely different direction, one of my peeves is that the radio stations now play "I Would Die 4 U" by Prince without following it up with "Baby, I'm a Star".  When I was a kid, one always faded into the other.  Now, it just ends after that musical...crescendo, I guess the word is.... at the end of the first song and it sounds ridiculous--like they cut a song off in the middle.

Speaking of cutting a song off in the middle, I hate it when the take out lyrics to shorten a song.  A good example is another one by Prince (off the same album!), "Let's Go Crazy".  Instead of the entire preamble, we get "Ladies and gentleman, let me introduce you to this thing called 'life'.  An electric word 'life' it means forever and that's a mighty long time [cut a few lines]. So if the elevator tries to bring you down....etc, etc...".  Personally, I like the whole thing.  Another example is "It's All Coming Back" by Celine Dion.

• Love 1

I hate it when I attend a concert and the artist does one of two things:

• Refuses to sing "Song X" because it brings back "unhappy memories" of some sort for them or it's too "commercial" or from a point in their lives they prefer to forget.
  •  
  • They are singing "that song" that is so well known, we all could sing it by heart.  Then the artist turns the mike towards the audience and urges the audience to sing the song.

The first annoys me because I paid good money to buy that song at the beginning of your career.  I was one of those who fell in love with that song and bought more of your work because of it.  The least you can do is sing it for me rather than make me listen to it via my personal collection just because the person you wrote the song for hates you now or you're pissed that you've changed musically and the song no longer represents your current persona.

As for the second, I didn't spend a ton of money to see you in concert only to have you make me and the audience sing your songs for you.  I admit to singing tunes in the shower or in the car but I know you can sing it and it brings me pleasure to hear the song in its entirety from you.

While I'm on a concert rant I might as well admit to one more peeve:  When I go to a concert, I don't want to hear the drunken attendees behind me singing the songs I wanted to hear from the artist.  I didn't pay good money to hear you  and your idiot friends drown out the music, thank you very much.

• Love 1

Awwww...Marty Casey from RockStar: INXS - how I loved him.  I still think that was the best music show that has been on my tv ever.  I even grew fond of the host, Dave Navarro (or the Pocket Prince of Darkness as we lovingly referred to him at TWoP) and I wasn't a fan of his before.

Marty Casey was fantastic....have you checked him out with The Lovehammers?

Also, I was so upset when TWoP went away, and I only recently came across this site. Thanks for verifying this is now where the TWoP folks come to play. :)

• Love 1

The use of the "n" word seems to have a complicated sense of rules.  We seem to have a general set of circumstances regarding the use of the "f" or "b" words. And it's use, though the fodder of many a family argument, isn't as politically polarizing as this other word.

I struggle to understand why it is ok to for it to be used in the name of entertainment, but only if you are a member of the select group.
Else it's the word to be unspoken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3eAMGXFw1o (video) Warning
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rihanna/bitchbetterhavemymoney.html (lyrics)

This video contains so many disturbing images, words, scenarios yet there will be a whole bus load of 10 year olds lip synching to the music and grinding down.
How does one claim to hate the use of word, yet throw it around in the most heinous ways as entertainment and money maker.

The use of the "n" word seems to have a complicated sense of rules.  We seem to have a general set of circumstances regarding the use of the "f" or "b" words. And it's use, though the fodder of many a family argument, isn't as politically polarizing as this other word.

I struggle to understand why it is ok to for it to be used in the name of entertainment, but only if you are a member of the select group.

Else it's the word to be unspoken.

For me, it' not a "complicated" issue at all.  If someone doesn't want me to use that or any word because I'm not "member of the select group," then I am not saying that word.  It's always fascinated me that some people get upset because they can't use the word while others can, yet I'll bet money that in other racial and ethnic groups there are words that you had better not use if you are not part of that group, even if they use it amongst themselves.  I don't have to understand it or agree with the rationale.  All I know is, if they don't want me to use it, then I'm not going to.  

It's as if some people are dying to use the "n" word and are pissed that they can't.  Well, they can actually--freedom of speech and all that.  Just be careful what happens if you do. 

• Love 7

Not a fan of males singing in falsetto. Especially Timberlake's.  He does it too much and it doesn't sound good. 

Unnecessary rapping in songs.  Don't get why that's a thing these days.  Ruins the flow of the song.  

Not a fan of males singing in falsetto. Especially Timberlake's.  He does it too much and it doesn't sound good. 

Unnecessary rapping in songs.  Don't get why that's a thing these days.  Ruins the flow of the song.  

The radio station I listen to cuts out the raps.  Their motto is "All the hits, without the rap."  It's funny to be listening to certain songs on this station and then hear  them elsewhere, and suddenly, there's a rap that I've never heard before.

• Love 1

So some thoughts have been kicking around in my brain for the past few days and I didn't know where else to discuss them. I like Lady Gaga. I like She & Him. And yet I find both her and that group annoying. Let me explain. I like She & Him fine as long as no one is trying to tell me that Zooey Deschanel is an amazing singer. Because she's not. But while her covers of old songs aren't bad (Skeeter Davis, Connie Francis, Smokey Robinson) for some reason I find them so irritating. I don't know why. People should be able to cover songs. I don't know if that's I want her to be a better singer if she's going to cover songs that I love or that for some reason it feels disrespectful to cover these songs without mentioning the original artists. I don't know why it bothers me.

Then there's Gaga. I haven't listened to her Tony Bennett album because I just don't like Tony Bennett's voice. I like a lot of her pop stuff though I think that the songs where she actually tries to sing (e.g. Speechless) are her best. I get that pop acts need to reinvent themselves. But for some reason it bothers me when she does it. If she were an actress, I think we would applaud her versatility. But for some reason when she keeps reinventing herself it feels like stealing. It feels like playing at different identities in a way that feels disrespectful. Or maybe not. Again, I don't exactly know what it is that bothers me.

• Refuses to sing "Song X" because it brings back "unhappy memories" of some sort for them or it's too "commercial" or from a point in their lives they prefer to forget.
  • They are singing "that song" that is so well known, we all could sing it by heart. Then the artist turns the mike towards the audience and urges the audience to sing the song.
The first annoys me because I paid good money to buy that song at the beginning of your career. I was one of those who fell in love with that song and bought more of your work because of it. The least you can do is sing it for me rather than make me listen to it via my personal collection just because the person you wrote the song for hates you now or you're pissed that you've changed musically and the song no longer represents your current persona.

As for the second, I didn't spend a ton of money to see you in concert only to have you make me and the audience sing your songs for you. I admit to singing tunes in the shower or in the car but I know you can sing it and it brings me pleasure to hear the song in its entirety from you.

YASSSS!!! Agreed on all this.

I've been to two major concerts in the past two years, and the main reasons I don't go to more shows((beyond the fact that concerts have gotten so damned pricy lately)), is because of these specific complaints.

I saw Nine Inch Nails in concert on their last tour; I brought my husband since he was excited to finally see them in concert and he really wanted to see the "fuck you like an animal" song((aka "Closer", probably NIN's biggest hit)) sung live. Imagine our shock/disappointment when the show ended without that one song sung. I later read that Trent Reznor hates singing it because it represented "a dark period" in his life.

Well bite me, Trent---that's your biggest hit and you made a shitload of money off it. Get over yourself and give the fans what they want already!

On another note, my favorite band is Depeche Mode---I've probably seen them play live maybe 12 times or so?

Their lead singer is amazing, but he has a horrible habit in concert of letting crowds sing songs/giving the mike to the audience when he's not growling/grunting his way through very rehearsed live moves and onstage theatrics.

Dave, I know you're 50-something and get tired quicker now, but for chrissakes, just sing the damned songs and quit swinging around the mike stand/high-kicking like a Rockette already if it tuckers your voice out so much.

Also, I can't stand how all concert attendees just want to record entire shows on their phones now. It's goddamned weird, actually. I get wanting to record a snippet or two here and there of fun moments to send to friends/put on your social media accounts, but recording entire damned shows?!

Ugh, just stop and enjoy the moment already, you weirdo.

Another concert complaint: boring set lists that never change. Artists should at least vary it by more than 2-3 songs switched up every other night. I just hate going to a show and knowing exactly which song will come next.

And I'm so sick of Taylor Swift. She's all over pop radio, I've had enough of her stupid high school-esque girl tampon gang bullshit((unless you're skinny, white and pretty, you can't join!)) and I find her nightly "surprise guests" on her tour to just be tacky and a gross display of celebrity smugness.

And musicians who can't age gracefully really bother me too. I'm looking right at you, Madonna---that "Bitch I'm Madonna" music video was just beyond embarrassing. Quit struggling so hard to stay relevant and hip: you reek of desperation now!!

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 7

I don't know it it's still the case (I think it is, not sure), but Alice Cooper refuses to do any of his songs from his early '80s albums (Zipper Catches Skin, Flush the Fashion, DaDa, or Special Forces) in concert now that he's sober, except for "Clones." He says he can't even remember recording those albums because of all the alcohol and crack he was using. He calls them his "blackout albums." A pity, since some of the songs were fairly catchy. Ironically, one of the songs on DaDa is about alcoholism.

And musicians who can't age gracefully really bother me too. I'm looking right at you, Madonna---that "Bitch I'm Madonna" music video was just beyond embarrassing. Quit struggling so hard to stay relevant and hip: you reek of desperation now!!

This! So much this.

I remember seeing an interview with Grace Slick many years ago and she was saying that music (rock and roll especially) is a young person's game.  She said that when she sees 70-something artists on stage trying to act like they did when they were in their 20s, all she can do is shake her head and say "Oh honey, give it up."

• Love 1

I remember seeing an interview with Grace Slick many years ago and she was saying that music (rock and roll especially) is a young person's game.  She said that when she sees 70-something artists on stage trying to act like they did when they were in their 20s, all she can do is shake her head and say "Oh honey, give it up."

I agree to an extent. I mean, I certainly don't think one can't perform just because they're advancing in years, but there's performing with dignity, and then there's making a damned fool out of yourself like Madonna.

• Love 3

I felt that way about Tina Turner.  I hope she's retired for good now that she's married.

remember seeing an interview with Grace Slick many years ago and she was saying that music (rock and roll especially) is a young person's game.

Sad, but true.   I remember attending a Peter Paul & Mary concert in the 90s and they were as good as they ever were!

Paul Stookey addressed the crowd between songs and mentioned how watching him perform and saying how "grandfatherly" of him it was to see an older man playing guitar in folk music.  Then he went on to joke about how different it was for rockers about his age doing the same thing in leather pants!  He definitely got a few laughs from the audience. 

• Love 1

I'm tired of radios playing remixes of popular songs, especially for ones that don't need it. For example, the song 'The Hanging Tree' from The Hunger Games. I can't imagine why someone would listen to a song like that and then think "you know what this needs? Remix beats." Add in songs from Lorde and Lana del Ray and it just confuses me cause it takes away the originality given to said songs. 

• Love 3

I later read that Trent Reznor hates singing it because it represented "a dark period" in his life.

Does Trent Reznor have anything but dark periods in his life? His music would suggest he doesn't exactly walk on the sunny side of the street. Perhaps he should have opted to sing a merrier, cheerier song like "Happiness in Slavery." Dang, that is lame. I'm sorry that happened at the concert you went to!

Soooooo much word to artists who turn the microphone over to the crowd. F*ck that. Unless you're Neil Diamond and have just finished singing "sweeeeeet Caroline," in which case you are required to hold out the mic so that audiences can scream "ba ba bum!", well, you just keep singing, bub.

• Love 4

I hate when I'm listening to a familiar song on satellite radio (be it rap, rock, R & B, etc)., and I'm so used to the radio version that the unedited version startles me with its myriad curse words and overt sexual references. I'm not a prude, mind you. I'd just gotten so used to the "clean" version that the lyrics in the unedited version seem gratuitous.

The radio station I listen to cuts out the raps.  Their motto is "All the hits, without the rap."  It's funny to be listening to certain songs on this station and then hear  them elsewhere, and suddenly, there's a rap that I've never heard before.

I hear ya. But then I listened to a radio station with that same tagline that started playing Macklemore music. So Macklemore's songs don't count as rap? (I'm asking the station, not you, Rick Kitchen).

I hate when I'm listening to a familiar song on satellite radio (be it rap, rock, R & B, etc)., and I'm so used to the radio version that the unedited version startles me with its myriad curse words and overt sexual references. I'm not a prude, mind you. I'd just gotten so used to the "clean" version that the lyrics in the unedited version seem gratuitous.

The radio station I listen to prides itself of not playing rap.  So when songs are played on other formats besides those I'm used to hearing them show up, it shocks me that there's a rap section in them.

What in ever loving f*ck is this BS? I open iTunes to buy a song. "No more Drama" (judge not, right?). And I buy the first one on the list. It's a completely different g'dmed arrangement. Not even close to the cheeseball song I loved when I heard it on the radio years ago. There are, oh, about five versions of that song on iTunes and not ONE of them is the version from the radio. They're all more "arty" and I hate them. 

I also discovered that I downloaded a version of "Gangham Style" with MC Hammer making an appearance. Uh....no.

Why, why, WHY can't I go to iTunes and just find the freakin' song I heard on the radio? Yeah, artists can do whatever they want with their work, but could it be just little easier for us musical boobs to find our terrible, non-artistic, non-remixed version of the song? Like a big flashing arrow and sign, maybe? I respect the serious artistic impulse, but come on, sometimes I just want cheese, thankyouverymuch.

Why, why, WHY can't I go to iTunes and just find the freakin' song I heard on the radio?

You've discovered one of my music peeves: Artists who screw with the song so that the original version becomes nearly impossible to find. First time it enraged me was back when the DVD version of Def Leppard's High 'n' Dry came out, and their idiot producer had added obnoxious synthesizer tweedly-tweedly crap (played by himself) to the chorus of "Bringin' on the Heartbreak", which sucked the vocal power right out of it. Good luck finding the old version of the song without tracking down a copy on vinyl or cassette.

• Love 1