Type keyword(s) to search

Musical Pet Peeves

Joe
  • Start Topic

This is for things that annoy you about artists you generally like. I'll start with several. Length. I've been working my way through Dream Theater's discography, but over half the songs I don't finish listening to. Maybe I just don't like the band that much, but I get awfully sick of their tracks long before the end. Eight or nine minutes? No thanks.

The death/black metal growly/screamy voice. I've been listening to metal for over half my life and I'm just sick of it. When Nile releleased their demos with the clean vocals, it was great. Some of Bathory, Mael Mordha, good stuff. Yeah, the voice makes an impact over the intensity of the music. But sometimes it's nice just to ease off and let the vocals get lost. With death and black it's not like I can really understand them anyway.

Cannibal Corpse live. Something about when Barnes or Fisher introduces the tracks, I hate hearing their growly speaking voices. Couldn't tell you why.

So what annoys you?

• Love 2

Oooh! Oooh! *hand shoots up* I absolutely hate with a passion songs that employ a key change. And by this, I mean the anvilicious ones where it's used for manipulation of emotion, or to signal that the end of the song is nigh.

I first noticed it with Barry Manilow's songs (when I was younger, much younger) and then realized that every Whitney Houston song has a key change. Once I noticed, it was hard to unnotice, so now I listen to see if songs are using a key change gratuitiously.

It seems like a cheap copout.

• Love 3

I don't know what the technical terms is, but the multiple note changes within one syllable of a word.  Thank you, Mariah Carey for that one (at least, she's the first one I remember doing that).  I love one good, strong, long held note.

• Love 4

This is for things that annoy you about artists you generally like. I'll start with several. Length. I've been working my way through Dream Theater's discography, but over half the songs I don't finish listening to. Maybe I just don't like the band that much, but I get awfully sick of their tracks long before the end. Eight or nine minutes? No thanks.

The death/black metal growly/screamy voice. I've been listening to metal for over half my life and I'm just sick of it. When Nile releleased their demos with the clean vocals, it was great. Some of Bathory, Mael Mordha, good stuff. Yeah, the voice makes an impact over the intensity of the music. But sometimes it's nice just to ease off and let the vocals get lost. With death and black it's not like I can really understand them anyway.

Cannibal Corpse live. Something about when Barnes or Fisher introduces the tracks, I hate hearing their growly speaking voices. Couldn't tell you why.

So what annoys you?

There are a lot of metal bands that I can't get with because the singer's voice will turn me off. Not necessarily all death metal, either. The singer from Overkill, for example. I also hate the original singer for Anthrax and much preferred John Bush from Armored Saint. In regards to death metal, though, the singer almost always turns me off. I can dig the music, but I need the singer to be able to carry a tune or melody from time to time.

I don't know what the technical terms is, but the multiple note changes within one syllable of a word.  Thank you, Mariah Carey for that one (at least, she's the first one I remember doing that).  I love one good, strong, long held note.

Runs? I think that's what you're referring to. It irritates me, too. Occasionally, it's tastefully done, but more often than not, it's just showing off and unnecessary. 

• Love 5

I don't know what the technical terms is, but the multiple note changes within one syllable of a word.  Thank you, Mariah Carey for that one (at least, she's the first one I remember doing that).

And now every contestant on a singing show who thinks they can do it, do it as well.  Just don't.

• Love 5

Yeah, "runs" is what I thought it was called.  I love that Harry Connick, Jr. isn't a big fan of them on AI (of course, no one listens to him).  His thought is that they should be used sparingly in a song where it works and only if you can nail every note in the run.  Hitting the right notes doesn't happen often in singing competitions. 

Edited by Shannon L.

Okay, some more. The encore is just an ego-stroking move. I only realised when I saw Dark Tranquillity. Towards the end, the singer announced that they would play until they stopped. They wouldn't do mess around with the obligatory encore. But they're the only band I've seen with that attitude. Everyone else goes off, then comes back on. Then finally off again.

Related, a performer encouraging the audience to cheer. I only noticed this one with Kanye's recent faux pas. If an artist is good enough, they shouldn't need to encourage the audience. Accept what you're given, will you?

Also, artists that talk too much. I know it gives people a chance to take a breather, have a mouthful of water, change guitars, etc. But at a certain point it becomes too much. If you have something to say, go the Henry Rollins speaking tour route. Write a blog. I just want to hear your music!

• Love 2

Yea I remember when Mariah Carey used to sing. Love the old school stuff. The newer stuff... no thanks, I'll pass. Her take on Def Leppard's song, "Bringin on the Heartbreak", is earbleedingly bad imo.

• Love 3

'Solo' artists who aren't. Full bands who only use the title of the frontman. Ozzy Osbourne, Rob Zombie. I find it very egotistical, and taking credit from the other members of the group. Bob Marley and the Wailers, I'm fine with that. Same with Van Halen or Bon Jovi. But Ozzy? No.

'Solo' artists who aren't. Full bands who only use the title of the frontman. Ozzy Osbourne, Rob Zombie. I find it very egotistical, and taking credit from the other members of the group. Bob Marley and the Wailers, I'm fine with that. Same with Van Halen or Bon Jovi. But Ozzy? No.

But Rob Zombie seems to be pulling all the strings, no?

Songs that still go on when they've run out of things to say.

I hate that, too.  Even though there's no singing involved, I also hate the end of Layla by Eric Clapton.  I timed it once--it's three minutes long!  For that matter, the beginning of John Mellencamp's I Need a Lover is just as bad.  Just end the song (or get to it in the case of the latter)!

I always had a pet peeve of titles of songs that don't appear in the song lyrics unless the song is recorded as an instrumental.

This doesn't so much annoy me as it intrigues me.  I want to know why they gave the song that name.  I heard about how For What It's Worth got it's title and while I found it an interesting story, it's still leaves me wondering why Stephen Stills didn't have it changed.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1

I especially hate that with the National Anthem. Please, just sing it.

God, yes! Just because you can sing scales in 6 different octaves does not mean you should in every song (especially the "Star Spangled Banner"). It really shouldn't take 10 minutes to get through the line "Oh, say can you see."

• Love 1

I hate people that feel the need to mention the year the song came out in the song-like "Hey, this is 1994!", like they were singing to someone who had come out of a time machine and weren't sure what year it was...

Edited by StarBrand
  • Love 2

Name checking oneself in a song. "Unh, John Smith here, unh..."

Also, songs that are marketed to a mainstream radio audience but have explicit lyrics in the album version. I've downloaded songs to my kids' iPods that include non radio lyrics that made them very uncomfortable.

Edited by Archery
  • Love 5

"Collabos", especially if one person is a rapper. If you're a solo singer, sing your damn song by yourself, every song doesn't need a rap in the middle.

Name checking oneself in a song. "Unh, John Smith here, unh..."

This, I'm looking at you Jason DeRulo.

• Love 3

I absolutely despise artists doing half-speed, folksy, depressing versions of other artists' songs. CBS crime dramas are particularly bad about using these during montages.

They just had a violin cover of Sympathy for the Devil on Sleepy Hollow and it was awesome; however it did bring back memories of the Muzak one I heard once. It was worse than you can imagine.

The store where I worked when I was in college once had a muzak version of "The Wall" running for about a month...
  • Love 2

I absolutely despise artists doing half-speed, folksy, depressing versions of other artists' songs. CBS crime dramas are particularly bad about using these during montages.

I remember writing this somewhere else, but I'm getting tired of the Lourde-esque style of songs over movie previews.

• Love 1

This reminded me of another pet peeve, when the song I hear on the radio has been sped up to turn it into dance music (looking at you Ghost by Ella Henderson)

• Love 1

I agree. I think this is the one thing we can firmly blame on Idol. People think doing slowed-down versions of pop songs is brilliant and most of the time it's not. And furthermore, doing it doesn't make you creative. A lot of times people rework songs because they don't have the chops to pull off the original version. On occasion you get someone like Kris Allen who has a certain talent for doing acoustic versions of pop songs. The point is, sometimes when you rework songs, new secrets come out. Case in point:

, which is probably Top 10 one of the best performances on any talent show. Who knew the quintessential pop song on the 90s could sound like a dark, brooding glam-rock dirge?
  • Love 1

Awwww...Marty Casey from RockStar: INXS - how I loved him.  I still think that was the best music show that has been on my tv ever.  I even grew fond of the host, Dave Navarro (or the Pocket Prince of Darkness as we lovingly referred to him at TWoP) and I wasn't a fan of his before.

• Love 1

I agree. I think this is the one thing we can firmly blame on Idol. 

I think it's the fault of the judges on every singing competition ever. How many times has a judge told a contestant to "make it your own"? Such  ridiculous thing to say.

• Love 1

The death/black metal growly/screamy voice.

I'm admittedly ignorant of the metal genre, but does this include voices/groups like Sebastian Bach/Skid Row, Dee Snyder/Twisted Sister and Tom Keifer/Cinderella? Because that would give me the sadz. I think those guys have serious pipes and talent. But I can see where, if it's done badly, it would be painful.

God, yes! Just because you can sing scales in 6 different octaves does not mean you should in every song (especially the "Star Spangled Banner"). It really shouldn't take 10 minutes to get through the line "Oh, say can you see."

*nods head vehemently* I cannot even begin to describe how much I dread the singing of the "Star Spangled Banner" at sporting events. I cannot bear the continued mangling and vocal masturbation. I mute the teevee and have been known to nearly take my hand off my heart so I can plug my ears at sporting events.

By the way, if you're going to torture people when singing, could you PLEASE at LEAST hit the notorious hard notes in TUNE?? I don't care if everyone starts cheering at the line "and of the free." You are still under contract to hit that note. And, no, you cannot cheap out and perform some "artistic" manipulation to sing it a lower pitch to emphasize your artistry. The song is dang hard to sing on its own - you'd get loads of props for just singing it. Really.

Oh, yeah, if you watched Grey's Anatomy, you would not be a happy camper at the rollout of every fun song from the 80s being turned into a snot-sob, emo disaster. During montages, of course. I seriously needed anger management skills to watch that show during that season.

I did like Johnny Cash's remake of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt." That's probably the one and only acoustic remake that I liked. I thought the message of the song was so much more powerfully done by Cash (NIN version was just kinda there), and, of course, Cash has years of showing his own creativity, so his using another artist's song didn't strike me as parasitic.

Any other young whining emo, though, who picks up a guitar and warbles someone else's song? Yes. Yes, I really want to hurt you.

• Love 1

I'm admittedly ignorant of the metal genre, but does this include voices/groups like Sebastian Bach/Skid Row, Dee Snyder/Twisted Sister and Tom Keifer/Cinderella?

Nope. Go listen to some Emperor or Cannibal Corpse, you'll see what I mean.

Nope. Go listen to some Emperor or Cannibal Corpse, you'll see what I mean.

Ohhh-- yeah, I see what you mean! Can definitely see those vocals getting old-- I got through about 30 seconds and was over it.

• Love 1

Re: the Star Spangled Banner. I'm torn on that. On one hand, I do think it's one of those songs where you don't need to do a whole lot to it. It's our national anthem; it has enough flare as it is. And I understand people being tired of the tricksiness that a lot of singers, especially female singers, put on "land of the free". I think that came from Whitney Houston's iconic version. It's kind of a brilliant vocal flourish...when Whitney did it. In, like, 1990.On

the other hand, I'm generally not in favor of "straight singing". I think that's what separates good singers from great singers, to be honest. Straight singing is nice for a grade-school recital and maybe church, but if you're making a record or you're on TV, I want to see some flare. I want someone to do something I can't, not just get on stage and deliver a very staid, stately rendition of a song. That's Susan Boyle shit. On the other hand, if you can do this, I'll be impressed. And inspired. Is that run overmuch, unnecessary, and probably sounds like drunk yodeling? Yes. Do I get my life from it? Yes.

Ohhh-- yeah, I see what you mean! Can definitely see those vocals getting old-- I got through about 30 seconds and was over it.

It's an acquired taste.

I did like Johnny Cash's remake of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt." That's probably the one and only acoustic remake that I liked. I thought the message of the song was so much more powerfully done by Cash (NIN version was just kinda there), and, of course, Cash has years of showing his own creativity, so his using another artist's song didn't strike me as parasitic.

That version is brilliant.  I still love the NiN version too, but there is so much feeling in Johnny Cash's remake.  I kind of chuckle with his lyric change to "crown of thornes" but it's ok. 

The only other remake songs I can tolerate (and actually find better than the originals) are A Little Help from my Friends by Joe Cocker and Mad World by Gary Jules.  Otherwise, this leads me into my pet peeve- remakes of ANY song.  Usually (with the small exception above) they are just terrible.  This is ESPECIALLY true (for me) for Beatles songs.  Don't even try it!  You will not improve the songs in any way!

• Love 1

Re: the Star Spangled Banner. I'm torn on that. On one hand, I do think it's one of those songs where you don't need to do a whole lot to it. It's our national anthem; it has enough flare as it is. And I understand people being tired of the tricksiness that a lot of singers, especially female singers, put on "land of the free". I think that came from Whitney Houston's iconic version. It's kind of a brilliant vocal flourish...when Whitney did it. In, like, 1990.On

the other hand, I'm generally not in favor of "straight singing". I think that's what separates good singers from great singers, to be honest. Straight singing is nice for a grade-school recital and maybe church, but if you're making a record or you're on TV, I want to see some flare. I want someone to do something I can't, not just get on stage and deliver a very staid, stately rendition of a song. That's Susan Boyle shit. On the other hand, if you can do this, I'll be impressed. And inspired. Is that run overmuch, unnecessary, and probably sounds like drunk yodeling? Yes. Do I get my life from it? Yes.

I'm not a fan of LOOKATMELOOKATME runs in the Star Spangled Banner. But I love a person who pours himself or herself into that song. Marvin Gaye, Jose Feliciano - singing that song and saying, see, I'm an American, too.

Baby!

"As long as you love me, baby"

"Baby I miss you, I need to be back in your arms"

"If you wanna be with me, baby, there's a price to pay"

"Ooh da bop bop baby please don't let me go"

"Baby, you light up my world like nobody else"

And the infamous Britney Spears "Oh, baby, baby"

• Love 3

That version is brilliant.  I still love the NiN version too, but there is so much feeling in Johnny Cash's remake.  I kind of chuckle with his lyric change to "crown of thornes" but it's ok. 

The only other remake songs I can tolerate (and actually find better than the originals) are A Little Help from my Friends by Joe Cocker and Mad World by Gary Jules.  Otherwise, this leads me into my pet peeve- remakes of ANY song.  Usually (with the small exception above) they are just terrible.  This is ESPECIALLY true (for me) for Beatles songs.  Don't even try it!  You will not improve the songs in any way!

Definitely. All of that life experience shines through in his take on it. I think "Crown of Thorns" kind of fits a little better, considering what the song is about. Hurt, pain. "Crown of Shit" works as well considering what the song covers.

Agreed on the latter. Both of those are really good.

I don't mind the song "Hurt," but I forever cannot understand why my alt radio station tends to play it at 7:00 in the morning! I need to be happy in the morning, not listening to "Hurt!"

• Love 1

Shout-singing. Hate it. Hate it hate it hate it. You know what I'm talking about - those songs where the artist isn't so much singing as they are yelling on-key. Ariana Grande is just about the worst offender I an think of right now. I know she's going for that Baby Mariah thing, but in her heyday when Mariah hit those notes she hit those notes and was in control of them the whole time. When Ariana Grande hits those notes she sounds extremely strained and like she can only hit them if she's shouting. 

• Love 2