Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
PRgal

Foods You Hated As A Child But Love Now

Cheese.  I have to admit that the first time I had cheese, it was a slice of Kraft Singles.  I was probably three and promptly puked it out.  I didn't eat cheese of any kind again until I was five and had my first slice of pizza and didn't eat Kraft Singles again until I was six or seven (how dumb was I?  I think I made a good decision when I was three).  I also didn't eat fish in most forms until I was nine nor did I like non-red apples until I was 12.

Brussels sprouts.  I liked most vegetables as a child, but just could not stand Brussels sprouts or eggplant.  I still hate eggplant, but I could eat those sprouts several times a week and not get sick of them.

• Like 1

As a child I absolutely hated bell peppers and onions.  I still don't  eat raw onions but I love them cooked.  When I was young my mom had to chop onion as tiny as she could to fool me into eating them (cooked).  Bell peppers I started eating once I grew some in my garden.  Now they are one of my staple vegetables!!

I also used to hate fish of any kind.  I started experimenting and now I like a lot, if they're mild.   I love salmon and just had some for dinner.  I can tolerate crab now, but no other seafood except tuna.  

Mine were broccoli and onions.

Took me until I was about 16 or 17 until I was ready to stomach broccoli. For some reason, a switch just flipped one day. There was ALWAYS broccoli (in some form or another) on the table at Sunday dinner at my grandparents' house, it was a family favorite, with me being the lone holdout. I had been cajoled into trying it on several occasions over the years and hated it every time. Then one day, I just didn't hate it anymore. Can't even explain it. I've loved broccoli in just about any form ever since.

When I was a kid, I absolutely loved onion rings. That is... I'd break them open, remove the onion and eat the crispy coating. Delicious! My favorite! At some point, peer pressure got to me. Got tired of my friends mocking me for the practice, so I stopped doing that, but I wasn't giving up onion rings altogether, so I learned to love 'em whole. Sauteed onions were next, as my dad ALWAYS had to have sauteed onions and mushrooms with/on his steak. "Dad likes it? Must be great! Guess I'll give it a shot." Eventually got to the point where, these days, I start to panic if there are no onions in my pantry. You know, just in case. Onion quiche. Onion jam. French onion soup. Hash browns? Equal parts potato and onion. Recipe calls for a cup, gimme a cup and a half.

• Like 2

I hated peppers and onions when I was little. Now, I like jalapeno and sometimes habanero but still don't eat bell peppers unless they are chopped up fine and mixed into tomato sauce.  I do eat onions now, raw and cooked, but I can't say I love them. 

Chinese food. Absolutely hated it up until college and now I love it. Also, cheesecake, coffee, onions and A1 Sauce (it's a weird one, I know).

• Like 1

Well, I don't love Mexican food and it's rarely my first choice, but I have found some dishes that are somewhat enjoyable if that's what's being served.  When I was younger, though, I hated it. 

Mustard and onions for me.  I still don't like too many raw onions on my sandwich, but I like having a few, and grilled or deep fried are so good.  Mustard is a new one for me--I didn't want it anywhere near my sandwiches/burgers until a few months ago.  I don't know what made me try it, but I thought--damn, this is pretty good (and no, I'm not pregnant :).  But, it has to be plain old French's.  I'm still not ready to dive into the world of the fancy stuff (my husband loves maple mustard and jalapeno mustard). 

Well, I don't love Mexican food and it's rarely my first choice, but I have found some dishes that are somewhat enjoyable if that's what's being served.  When I was younger, though, I hated it. 

Mustard and onions for me.  I still don't like too many raw onions on my sandwich, but I like having a few, and grilled or deep fried are so good.  Mustard is a new one for me--I didn't want it anywhere near my sandwiches/burgers until a few months ago.  I don't know what made me try it, but I thought--damn, this is pretty good (and no, I'm not pregnant :).  But, it has to be plain old French's.  I'm still not ready to dive into the world of the fancy stuff (my husband loves maple mustard and jalapeno mustard). 

Then you won't want to come to my house for Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner - my turkey is rubbed with apple and basil mustard! 

I wouldn't say I love it, but I absolutely would not touch spaghetti as a child and I've grown to like it.  I'll even crave it sometimes!

Cheese.  I have to admit that the first time I had cheese, it was a slice of Kraft Singles.  I was probably three and promptly puked it out.  I didn't eat cheese of any kind again until I was five and had my first slice of pizza and didn't eat Kraft Singles again until I was six or seven (how dumb was I?  I think I made a good decision when I was three).  I also didn't eat fish in most forms until I was nine nor did I like non-red apples until I was 12.

I'm the opposite. I hated red apples until junior high.

I like all food.  When I say I don't like something it means I don't choose it on a menu or cook it.  

Tomato sauce.  I didn't like it as a kid and don't like it now.  My mother was an excellent cook but never made it or pasta at all.  

I like all food.  When I say I don't like something it means I don't choose it on a menu or cook it.  

Tomato sauce.  I didn't like it as a kid and don't like it now.  My mother was an excellent cook but never made it or pasta at all.  

So you have your pasta tossed in olive oil?  Pesto?  Cream sauce?

I never understood the appeal of oatmeal - it was tasteless mush in my childhood home. Recently I tried slow cooker oatmeal (with steel cut oats), and now am really digging into the stuff.  It's ready in the morning and a hot, nutritious breakfast; plus you can mess around with it by throwing in a chopped apple or some craisins.   

Edited by harrie
  • Like 1

I never understood the appeal of oatmeal - it was tasteless mush in my childhood home. Recently I tried slow cooker oatmeal (with steel cut oats), and now am really digging into the stuff.  It's ready in the morning and a hot, nutritious breakfast; plus you can mess around with it by throwing in a chopped apple or some craisins.   

Try throwing a chopped apple into the slow cooker, adding a bit of steel cut oats (maybe a half portion of what you would typically make for yourself), some cinnamon, water and apple butter and cook it overnight for an apple crumble-like breakfast! :)

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 1

So you have your pasta tossed in olive oil?  Pesto?  Cream sauce?

I like linguine and clam sauce (broth not creamy), carbonara (proper way with no cream) and bolognese.  YUM to all of these!

• Like 2

I couldn't get with broccoli until I was like 19. Now it's one of my staple vegetables.

Eggs...hated them as a kid, especially fried or boiled (not a fan of yolk on its own). I've come around, but I'm very particular about how I like them (soft scramble with cheese and either mushrooms or peppers and onions in them)

Cooked carrots.  I avoided them at all costs when I was kid; to me there was something about the way the flavor changed once the carrot was cooked, and it was just so unappetizing.  I would have gladly eaten a whole bag of raw carrots than eat even half a cooked one.  I like them okay now esp. if they're mixed into a casserole or something, but if they're a stand alone side, then I still won't eat them.

• Like 1

I didn't like butter, especially browned butter on pasta. Now I enjoy it. I'd be a lot slimmer if I still didn't like it.

For some reason, I remember disliking my first taste of pizza, but I loved it from age 10 on.

According to family lore, on one of my family's first road trips, I ordered fried fish at Howard Johnson's. Two bites of it, a couple of peas, and some ice water were my whole lunch. That was a full meal for me back in the day. I can't believe I was ever such a small or picky eater!

Cooked carrots.  I avoided them at all costs when I was kid; to me there was something about the way the flavor changed once the carrot was cooked, and it was just so unappetizing.  I would have gladly eaten a whole bag of raw carrots than eat even half a cooked one.  I like them okay now esp. if they're mixed into a casserole or something, but if they're a stand alone side, then I still won't eat them.

I loathed boiled diced or sliced carrots.  The only cooked carrots I'd eat back in my childhood were the ones in beef stew.  Still to this day loathe boiled diced or sliced carrots and so I've begun slicing carrots on the diagonal (Asian style) and for some reason, sliced this way and sauted...they're great! Go figure.

Ham.  In my childhood I dreaded seeing baked Virginia ham on a dinner table as it was sooooo salty to me.  I think maybe in the 1980's they began lowering the salt in ham because that's when I found I could eat ham steaks, baked VA ham, etc., and really like it.

Cooked spinach (from the box of frozen).  I spent many hours pushing cooked spinach around my plate as a kid.  Last year I began cooking it a little differently (1/2 Tbsp of butter sitting on the frozen spinach, sprinkle of garlic powder, and a good sprinkling of Penzey's Mural of Flavor--love that stuff!!). When it's done, I squirt fresh lemon juice on it and it's quite tasty.

• Like 1

I loathed boiled diced or sliced carrots.  The only cooked carrots I'd eat back in my childhood were the ones in beef stew.  Still to this day loathe boiled diced or sliced carrots and so I've begun slicing carrots on the diagonal (Asian style) and for some reason, sliced this way and sauted...they're great! Go figure.

Carrots in beef stew........OMG...Heaven......Speaking of carrots, I am completely obsessed with the heirloom carrot salad at my local gourmet grocery store's prepared foods counter.  Just the right amount of tang...

Pinto beans and cornbread. The thought damn near gagged me.

Flash forward to living in my first apt and dating a completely cool guy (pause for reflection and why did I break up with him). He was like "you have to try it". Well, with those eyes and arms how could a girl refuse? My word, I had pintos, not sweet cornbread, chopped raw white onion and heavy dashes of Crystal hot sauce and my friends, I saw the light. How I spent 20 years abhorring the idea, I do not know.

Eta; he cooked this in my apt. I think I had such a visual, that was a given, haha. That's the reason apt was mentioned. It's where the magic happened that fateful night.

Edited by KnoxForPres

I always hated cooked carrots and peas. My mom would make tuna noodle casserole, which I liked, but she'd always put peas in it. Every time, I'd fish out all the peas and put them to the side. Now when I make it I put peas in it, although I prefer the petite peas. Carrots I still don't eat as a side item, but I'll eat them mixed in with something else (like stir fry).

Never liked pizza as a kid and always ordered spaghetti whenever we went to Pizza Hut. That changed when I was in junior high. I still don't love it, but I'll eat it every once in awhile.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2014 at 4:14 PM, emma675 said:

Chinese food. Absolutely hated it up until college and now I love it

This is me - except I still hate it. I used to manage beef and broccoli if we ordered out in college, but with lukewarm enthusiasm, at best. But I'm just fine without it at all.

Never liked pizza as a kid and always ordered spaghetti whenever we went to Pizza Hut. That changed when I was in junior high.

Me, too!  I was spaghetti all the way when we went out.  I think my tastes changed in high school when everybody went to a local place (Tony's Pizza) after home football games.  I started getting pizza (so I wouldn't be different, I guess) and I started liking it.  

When I was a little kid, I didn't like - or thought I didn't like; I'm not sure - Mexican food, and would order a hamburger (from the, essentially, "for the gringo idiots" tiny section of the menu) when we went for Mexican on our weekly Friday night outings.  Do you know how awful a hamburger in a Mexican restaurant is?  Maybe it was that which persuaded me to start ordering from the real menu, and thankfully by the time I was maybe eight or so I was working my way through the joy that is Mexican food (of most kinds, authentic and Americanized, just not Tex Mex; I hate that stuff).

I always liked selections from the Chinese, Thai, and Vietnamese food we had as a kid, but didn't really care for the Japanese.  Thankfully, I got over that too!

I didn't like salmon as a kid (or into young adulthood, really), but now I make it weekly.  Same with oatmeal (maybe because I use steel cut oats and my mom used rolled oats, but I'm not sure how much difference that made).

I didn't dislike broccoli as a kid, but I wanted something - preferably cheese - on it.  Now I eat it roasted or steamed all the time.  I think I've already noted that I could not stand Brussels sprouts as a kid, and could now eat them just about nightly and not get sick of them.  And spinach; I always liked raw spinach, but I did not like cooked spinach at all as a kid - even the spinach sauteed with bacon and onions that my mom made a lot and which I now replicate sometimes (although I usually do spinach and mushroom instead).  I think part of that was preparation; my dad likes his vegetables far more cooked than I do, and my mom sort of leaned towards that, so I might have come around earlier had the spinach been more wilted than cooked, which is how I prepare it.

Edited by Bastet

Tomatoes, Romaine lettuce.

Not that I love Romaine lettuce now, but I don't hate it. And when I discovered that I could grow my own heirloom tomatoes from seed, they have moved to very near the top of my love list for these couple of months of the year.

I hated spaghetti as a kid.  Turns out I just really did not like my Mom's sauce.  She is an excellent cook in everything else so I just assumed that I must not like spaghetti.

When I got older and started making dinner once in a while, I found out I like my own sauce.  She prefers mine to hers too so that is probably the only dish I make better than her.

I went strawberry picking when I was three, it was a farm with no one else around so my parents let me roam, I picked a huge basket of strawberries by myself. Unfortunately, I ate probably three times as many as I put in the basket and got sick and I couldn't smell or even think about strawberries without getting sick. Then when I was a senior in college one of my favorite professors handed me one and they are now are my favorite fruit.

Edited by biakbiak

Blue cheese. I hated it as a kid, but now I think it's delicious melted on a burger or melted on a pile of chips. The thing is, that the taste was too strong when I was a kid. Now I like it, but find certain foods I liked as a kid to be exceptionally bland. It makes me wonder if taste buds are just another thing that doesn't work as well when you get older.

• Like 2

I was surprised recently to find that I liked a salad that had blue cheese and that the blue cheese actually tasted good in it. I was also surprised to find that grapes tasted good with cheese.

• Like 1

It used to be that the only vegetable I liked was lima beans when I was a child but now I like virtually every regular vegetable except okra.

On 2014-11-12 at 4:14 PM, emma675 said:

Chinese food. Absolutely hated it up until college and now I love it. Also, cheesecake, coffee, onions and A1 Sauce (it's a weird one, I know).

Hahaha!  I absolutely HATED fake Chinese food (i.e. Americanized stuff...egg rolls, chicken balls, etc...) until recently.  I mean, it's crap and as a "good Chinese girl," it's my duty to deplore anything that isn't authentic (unless it's fusion, but that's only because it's elevated) until I met my husband (non-Asian).  Now I like it (I think I have to turn in my Chinese card though).  I still prefer spring rolls over egg rolls (less batter - and really, an egg roll to someone from Hong Kong is more like sweet pretzel roll or skinny, unfilled cannoli than something savoury) and beef with gai lan (much more authentic, but it's typically a kid favourite) over broccoli, but it's much more than tolerable.  Hehe...