Type keyword(s) to search

Blue Bloods in the Media

Artsda
  • Start Topic

"Supporting FOUR weekly storylines each week doubtless drives up costs. I can see CBS pushing for a cast reduction to reduce costs."

Agreed. Ditch Wahlberg. Same character every week, same tantrum every time lack of evidence keeps him from getting the warrant he wants, same Moderately Smudged Harry act to get a confession... The character has rarely been interesting since Linda's death.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, RevBrett said:

"Supporting FOUR weekly storylines each week doubtless drives up costs. I can see CBS pushing for a cast reduction to reduce costs."

Agreed. Ditch Wahlberg. Same character every week, same tantrum every time lack of evidence keeps him from getting the warrant he wants, same Moderately Smudged Harry act to get a confession... The character has rarely been interesting since Linda's death.

Selleck and Wahlburg are the biggest name draws from an audience standpoint. I could see them literally set fire to the house with all other characters inside before they got rid of either of those two, lol, unless they themselves were ready to move on.

CBS Renewal Status Report: ‘Blue Bloods’, ‘S.W.A.T.’, ‘East New York’ & ‘True Lies’

[excerpts from the article]

But things are looking very good for the Tom Selleck starrer Blue Bloods, I hear. As Deadline reported last month, the size of the cuts CBS had been pushing for on the show were pretty deep, as much as 25% for some above-the-line talent, which includes actors. Blue Bloods employs hundreds of crew and other support personnel whose livelihood depends on it, and I hear the cast and producers have agreed to salary reductions in order to keep the show going. Some deals are still being finalized, but I hear they are expected to close shortly and the venerable family cop drama will return for a 14th season.

Larry Manetti doesn't share a scene with his old friend. Sigh.

‘Blue Bloods’: Donnie Wahlberg Says Things Are About to Get ‘Intense’ for Danny & Baez

TVI: Let’s talk about that January 20 episode, when the long-widowed detective made it clear that he’s ready to consider romance again and goes on a date with a fellow detective. What did that mean for Danny and Baez’s future?

DW: I think that script caught some viewers by surprise. It surprised me. It certainly opens the door for Danny and Baez, but all I know is that they will bond at much deeper levels than they ever had. Marisa and I are incredibly close and we try to bring a lot of that into the show, which has really worked for the audience.

TVI: How do they bond?

DW: The [May 12] episode is really intense for the partners. A perp Baez arrested wants revenge and Danny goes all out to protect her and her new baby. There’s a dinner and some drinks involved and maybe a sleepover. It’s going to really show how important Danny and Baez are to each other. Marisa and I chose to play up a lot more vulnerability than we have typically done in the past. The audience is going to love it!

TVI: Tom’s former Magnum P.I. costar Larry Manetti shows up in the April 21 episode as a retired cop who wants vengeance on a dealer who sold fentanyl to his grandson. There’s no on-air reunion between the two. Why?

DW: Tom really wanted his old friend on the show, but he didn’t want it to be distracting to the audience to have Larry in scenes with him. To his credit, Tom did encourage me to put the picture [of Larry with the Reagan family] on Instagram. He said, “I really want to support that Larry’s on the show. Can you do that social media thing?” I was like, “Absolutely.” I was really surprised because I always have to ask him to do that.

Magnum Monday in BB.jpg

On 3/31/2023 at 11:07 AM, Artsda said:

Wow that's amazing the cast did that

At this point, all the regulars probably get significant residuals from syndication/streaming, and if they keep doing the show, hundreds of people stay employed. Also, I don't see some o'them having magnificent careers post-show.

I caught a rerun from last season, where Lenny showed up unexpectedly in NYC, and Frank found out he was dying of cancer. "Irish Exit." Brr. Prescient.

(Though Treat Williams died in a motorcycle accident.)

Blue Bloods only got renewed after the cast took pay cuts, it easily could have been cancelled. With the strike dragging on I wonder if it goes too long the show gets whacked since presumably if the strike ends, costs will go back up.

On 11/20/2023 at 1:34 PM, DanaK said:

The upcoming 14th season will be the last one and will be broadcast in 2 parts, Part 1 in the Spring, which premieres Friday Feb 16, and Part 2 next Fall

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2023/11/20/the-hit-drama-series-blue-bloods-to-conclude-in-fall-2024-after-its-14th-season-935110/20231120cbs01/

Sad, but not a surprise given its age and all the cost cutting. 14 seasons is a really good run

20 hours ago, Artsda said:

Sad to see it go, but why not just say season 14 and 15. 

Most likely because it will be produced continuously (without a long hiatus) and if they were to call it two shortened seasons there are cast or crew who would need new contracts. There are only two reasons television networks do anything - money or ego. And since it would sound more impressive to have another season it must be about the money.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

Most likely because it will be produced continuously (without a long hiatus) and if they were to call it two shortened seasons there are cast or crew who would need new contracts. There are only two reasons television networks do anything - money or ego. And since it would sound more impressive to have another season it must be about the money.

I think this Deadline article probably explains it well https://deadline.com/2023/11/blue-bloods-end-canceled-season-14-two-parts-1235627546/

• Like 1

CBS ‘Spoils’ 15 Premieres, Including Final Runs of Blue Bloods, Bob Hearts Abishola, S.W.A.T. and Young Sheldon

Premiere Date: Friday, Feb. 16 at 10 pm

“Loyalty” (Part 1) – Jamie goes undercover with a deadly human trafficking ring. Danny and Baez investigate a homicide connected to Darryl Reid (Malik Yoba), Danny’s old partner. Also, Frank grapples with whether to publicly support Mayor Chase (Dylan Walsh) on a policy decision and Eddie is determined to teach a young shoplifter a lesson.

• Like 1

I can see why CBS is pushing the last half of the final season to the fall.   They have a lot of shows ending this year and the odds of replacing all them with winners isn't great.

• Like 1
On 11/21/2023 at 5:45 PM, wknt3 said:

I think you pretty much have it. I think most questions about why television networks do what they do can be answered by one or a combination of the following: ratings, money, sponsors. 

A long podcast interview with Greg Jbara where a little after the 1 hour mark he talks  about the possibility of a more extended final season going into Spring 2025. Also broader interesting comments overall  about filming and different dynamics on set:

Donnie Wahlberg Is Latest Blue Bloods Star to Hint That the Final Season… Might Not Be?

“I don’t want to get any anyone’s hopes up, but if our numbers are really good… I know that there’s a push to try and flesh out the back half” of the season, to extend it into Spring 2025 and hit the 300 mark. Tom [Selleck]’s got something going on. He literally goes, ‘I’ve got a couple tricks in my bag that I’m going to present to the network.’ I think I can say without teasing anyone that that is a something that’s being considered.”

Gregory Jbara