Type keyword(s) to search

The Affair in the Media

RandomX
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Glade said:

All 4 are in new relationships..despite the fact that Cole and Helen cheated on their current partners and were forgiven/taken back, and seemed to be quite settled.  Why?  Who cares?  Just to stir up some unnecessary soapy drama to try and distract the audience from the fact that this show has jumped the shark.

Hey if there was no more cheating, it wouldn't be The Affair!

I'm sure the demographics of the viewership is favorable, mostly upper middle-class, who probably like the aspirational settings (Manhattan, Montauk) of the show.

Showtime has a full FREE stream of Episode One, Season One right now.  I'm checking it out.  Assuming, I want to catch up on all seasons, what's the best way to do it? 

http://www.sho.com/video/59676/the-affair-series-premiere-tvma

.......I just realized that I have actually seen some parts of this series.  For some reason, I didn't follow through though.  I wonder if it was just too annoying. lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
4 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

Is this the final season? I'm definitely going to watch even though last season was god awful.

No, showtime execs say they want a fifth season no matter how trite and tired it ends up being.

• Love 2
On 5/3/2018 at 8:37 PM, Glade said:

No, showtime execs say they want a fifth season no matter how trite and tired it ends up being.

giphy.gif

What story is left to tell? And honestly, what story was there to tell in the first place? 

I had thought that Sarah Treem originally had a three-season story that Showtime persuaded her to extend to four. So that last season was little more than an elaborate wedding cake baked around two chocolate chips: Helen told her family that Noah was not the driver; Helen discovered that Noah covered for Alison, not (only) for her. Now there will be two consecutive seasons of filler, out of five? 

On 6/4/2018 at 2:29 AM, TGinKY said:

I just checked Netflix and searched for it, but it wasn't there

Hulu is offering a free month of the Showtime add-on with a regular subscription. Amazon Prime also has a free Showtime trial, but I think that one is just for a week.

6 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Hulu is offering a free month of the Showtime add-on with a regular subscription. Amazon Prime also has a free Showtime trial, but I think that one is just for a week.

I watched season 1 on Hulu. This weekend Showtime had a marathon Saturday and Sunday. I wasn't compelled to stay riveted to each episode. Now the new episode is on. I think I've decided that this series sucks so bad that I can't stop watching!

10 hours ago, scrb said:

“We love the intimacy, the nuance and the emotional honesty of The Affair’s subjective examination of both infidelity and fidelity,” said Gary Levine, President of Programming Showtime Networks.

It's clear that to me Gary Levine doesn't watch the show.

And how to you kill something that's already dead?

From the beginning, Alison has always felt like the show’s most essential character. Her meeting with Noah in the first episode was essentially the inciting incident that led to seasons’ worth of drama. Whether she was seen as a seductive temptress of married men or a deeply broken woman whose personal tragedies had left her too damaged for this world, in many ways she was the show’s beating heart (even when Noah’s own journey took on more of the show’s focus).

Thus, the way this episode exposed Alison’s alleged fate was truly shocking, given its off-screen nature. Nevertheless, it felt very true to the experience of what really does happen when a loved one is lost; it’s an event more often than not that comes as a shock, that doesn’t feel real for some time, without clear evidence.

Because of the same blending of timelines that continue to drag the past into the present, it seems more than likely that we haven’t seen the last of Ruth Wilson onscreen. In fact, it definitely feels like the show plans to deliver at least one final point-of-view segment, featuring her final days. And while Alison’s mental state may have been fractured, the possibility that her death is not as simple as a depressed woman dying by suicide is very real.

Ultimately, we wait to see whether Alison’s death is the shock to the system that will make this series unmissable for the rest of its run, or if losing Wilson as a performer and Alison as a character will be too much for the show to survive. Either way it goes, there’s one undeniable truth: This is a choice that is not playing it safe.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/‘the-affair’-delivers-a-nuclear-twist-in-shocking-game-changing-episode-8/ar-BBLxS37?li=BBnbfcL

• Love 2

My Showtime subscription ends tomorrow. The only reason I would renew would be to see the season finale of The Affair. Is there a legal way to watch just that one episode within a day or 2 after airing and pay like $2.99 or something just for that one episode?

8 minutes ago, Pat Hoolihan said:

My Showtime subscription ends tomorrow. The only reason I would renew would be to see the season finale of The Affair. Is there a legal way to watch just that one episode within a day or 2 after airing and pay like $2.99 or something just for that one episode?

If it's available through Amazon Prime, you can.  

1 hour ago, luckyroll3 said:

If it's available through Amazon Prime, you can.  

Amazon Prime is where I currently get Showtime. I've used up my free time and subscribed on a month to month, and a month expires tomorrow. I don't believe there is any way to get an individual Showtime show for a small price. You have to subscribe to Showtime one way or another or wait a year till it gets out on iTunes or something.

Edited by Pat Hoolihan

Ruth Wilson: 'I'm Not Allowed to Talk About Why' I Left The Affair

Ruth Wilson declined to discuss her decision to exit Showtime’s The Affair during an interview Thursday on CBS This Morning, catching co-host Gayle King off guard when she said, bluntly, “I’m not allowed to talk about why [I left].”

The moment was initially met silence from King, who then alluded to an interview Wilson did back in February, during which she revealed that she was paid less than male costar Dominic West. At the time, West spoke out in defense of Wilson, telling the UK’s Channel 4 that Wilson deserved to be paid more than him following her 2015 Golden Globe win for Lead Actress in a Drama. In response to King’s question, Wilson asserted that she “never complained to Showtime about pay parity.”

Sounds like something went down. Clip at the link.

• Love 3

I can't edit that, so here's another:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ruth-wilson-affair-exit-explained-1135396

"I did want to leave, but I'm not allowed to talk about why," said Wilson, who was promoting her upcoming movie, The Little Stranger, on Thursday's CBS This Morning.

When Gayle King pressed her on whether or not her decision was over salary parity, Wilson replied, "I've never complained to Showtime about pay parity."

• Love 2

I stopped watching the show after season 2, but I read Indiewire and (accidently) found out about the "mysterious depature of Ruth Wilson". I was shocked because for me was always the heart of the show, and her acting was the best part.

Well, I hope everything is alright for her.

• Love 3

Oh man. I hope it doesn't have to do with Dominic West but I remember thinking last season how strange it was that Noah's French professor hook-up almost became the main female character of the show. Seems like they had to write things around keeping Noah and Alison separate and that makes me nervous about what happened. 

17 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Showtime have released a statement which I'm doubting in entirely true based in everything else we've heard.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/showtime-ruth-wilson-the-affair-exit-everyone-agreed-the-characters-story-had-run-its-course-statement-1202446926/

Technically true probably in that Ruth Wilson said to them, "Allison is at a dead end, you no longer know what to do with this character, and it was stupid of you to extend this show until Season 5 when you obviously should be wrapping it up at Season 4.  I want off of this show."  And they said, "Great.  We'll kill off Allison and that will give us the material we need for Season 5.  Just don't go around telling people you think the show sucks now."

ETA: That statement, along with Sarah Treem's tweets, settles the matter for me of which version of Alison's death is the "true" one.

Edited by Bitsy
  • Love 1

"The character's arc had run its course" is a producer's equivalent of "I have chosen to spend time with my family," from an elected official or prominent executive. A fig leaf meant to be taken as that -- understood to be covering a bald "no comment," not a candid statement.

• Love 5

Yeah, this is Showtime, the channel that has dragged out plenty of shows long after their story was finished and they should have ended (Dexter, Weeds...). The idea that they would let her go because her story had run its course is ridiculous. That's certainly never stopped them before.

Ruth Wilson Says She Had ‘No Say’ About The Affair Death

We caught up with Wilson at the Metrograph premiere of The Little Stranger on Thursday night,where she revealed that she didn’t have any say about how her character left the show — and if she had, things would have turned out differently. “No, I had no say over how the character’s arc was going to end, or how she would die and leave. I always hoped that she would … I always had the image that she would walk into the sunset with her son with no man,” Wilson said, adding, “That’s what I hoped for her. But no.”

I mean, I wouldn't expect an actor to have a say in the writing, but still... Would have been a nicer ending.

3 minutes ago, TheOtherOne said:

“No, I had no say over how the character’s arc was going to end, or how she would die and leave. I always hoped that she would … I always had the image that she would walk into the sunset with her son with no man,”

She did.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Dminches said:

Can you explain?

Sarah Treem tweeted this:

@SarahTreem Aug 11  When telling a story, we have a tendency to try and make meaning. ‘Character is fate.’ ‘Things happen for a reason.’ But reality isn’t actually like that. And if anyone understands the chaos, unpredictability and deep unfairness of life, it’s Alison Bailey. #TheAffair #episode9

Statement said this:

“Ultimately, it felt like the most powerful creative decision would be to end Alison’s arc at the moment when she had finally achieved self-empowerment,”

Version #2 is the only one where something unpredictable and deeply unfair happened.  Version #2 is also the first time in the whole series where Allison achieved self-empowerment by standing up for herself to Ben, only to be murdered a moment later.  In version #1, she was just her usual mess of terrible decisions and moping about Gabriel.

They were filming (Cole's story) in Morro Bay in January; if all of Ruth Wilson's season 4 scenes were shot first, as stated, she would have wrapped well before the Radio Times interview about pay parity.

Whatever went down Wilson really isn't doing Showtime or the shows any favours with the snippets she's giving on the exit. If it was something as simple she wanted out so they accommodated then I think she'd be more supportive but she's more or less throwing shade and insinuating that more went down. 

• Love 1

Ruth Wilson clearly said she never complained to Showtime about pay parity. So she wanted to leave for another reason. Maybe she just wanted to be free to do other projects. Or maybe she got tired of the show and playing Alison. 

If she is not allowed to discuss it, the showrunners must be afraid that the reveal could impact the next season's popularity because if she is sick and tired of the show maybe the audience should be as well. 

• Love 2

Well I recall her saying around season 2 that the show was hard due to long hours, and the depressing nature of the character, not in those words. So I could see her still feeling that way, but I don't know why Treem or Showcase would get bent out of shape over that. Maybe Ruth was tired of it, and the storylines.

All I know is Treem's comments about the show always seem bizarre to me. I tried to watch In Treatment when it was on and couldn't get through it. I started with this because of Ruth- I think she's a fantastic actress. If you haven't wathed Luther, I highly recommend it. 

• Love 1

I think it's best to watch In Treatment one patient at a time and ditch that patient if the story doesn't appeal to you.  (Trying to watch Melissa George whisper her way through a half hour is not something I'm willing to do.) 

I watched the "Sophie" episodes of In Treatment, which were the ones primarily written by Sarah Treem.  Despite some stilted writing/acting here and there, it was a very affecting story with a satisfying conclusion.   

We caught up with Wilson at the Metrograph premiere of The Little Stranger on Thursday night,where she revealed that she didn’t have any say about how her character left the show — and if she had, things would have turned out differently. “No, I had no say over how the character’s arc was going to end, or how she would die and leave. I always hoped that she would … I always had the image that she would walk into the sunset with her son with no man,” Wilson said, adding, “That’s what I hoped for her. But no.”

Um, what? Ruth Wilson seems to be confused. How would she walk off into the sunset with her [dead] son unless she died? Did Ruth even watch episode 9? Is she trying to say that she would have preferred it if Alison had committed suicide?

Both the showrunner and some of the actors from this show say the most convoluted crap and it's really annoying.

• Love 3

I think Ruth meant that if Alison had to die, then she wanted the end to be something nice and comforting; something showing Alison being at peace and being reunited with her son.  Alison being gruesomely murdered and dumped in the ocean by some dude was a grisly note on which to end her story.  Many of us felt the same while watching the episode.

Even Vik's getting a way nicer ending.

Edited by Bitsy
  • Love 1

Even if Ruth wasn’t giving interviews or saying things like this wasn’t the ending she would have chosen for Alison, I think the way Her story has turned out would still be very controversial.

It would still be unpopular with fans.

Treem and Showtime had to issue statements that Alison was gone for good after S04E08, because the viewers who’ve stuck with the show from the beginning were incredulous.

Nobody buys that this was the logical end for Alison.  In fact, them saying Ruth wanted off the show is an admission that they didn’t have good options, were forced to write her off abruptly, while still planning to do another season.

The other way to deal with the lead actress not being on the show after season 4 would have been to end the show at 4 seasons.  Then they could have had a graceful ending for all the characters.  Instead, because they wanted a fifth season and because Ruth was gone, they had to kill her off.

Abruptly.

And brutally as well, if it turns out Ben killed her.

• Love 1
On 8/17/2018 at 6:32 PM, Bitsy said:

Version #2 is the only one where something unpredictable and deeply unfair happened.  Version #2 is also the first time in the whole series where Allison achieved self-empowerment by standing up for herself to Ben, only to be murdered a moment later.  In version #1, she was just her usual mess of terrible decisions and moping about Gabriel.

Do you now think she was murdered?

Wow! This video has some interesting comments from viewers about why Ruth Wilson left The Affair. The comments say it was not because of pay parity, a few comments say she was sexually harassed and fired, or that her body double was harassed and Ruth Wilson left the show because of that.

That would explain a gag order! Maybe Ronan Farrow can get on the case! 

on YouTube

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 1