Type keyword(s) to search

The Affair in the Media

RandomX
  • Start Topic

Of course they're not going to end it.  If the show gets any ratings, Showtime will keep it on the air because they're trying to build up its library vs. HBO.

The show is no longer about the affair, it's about the trial.

Then once the trial is over, maybe it'll be a paternity battle.

• Love 1

I thought it was pretty much a fact that the show was definitely having three seasons. I think I remember reading at some point during the first season that Treem said she had the story mapped out for three seasons. So yeah I kind of just figured the three seasons was a given.

• Love 1

I don't think the show's quality is that much worse. The Globes just love rewarding and acknowledging freshman shows (which to be fair is one of the reasons it is one of my favorite award shows). So yeah Mr. Robot and Narcos for example were going to get in over The Affair which doesn't have the huge cachet of a Game of Thrones to be a repeat nominee.

• Love 1

I've never gotten the impression Josh and Diane's relationship was an open relationship. There have never been any rumors or stories to my knowledge about them with anyone else. Plenty of people don't have children or get married and it doesn't mean they're in open relationships. For the record the guy Diane was supposedly making out with has denied the story. If this is true, my guess is they're probably broken up or on a break and just didn't feel the need to make a public statement about it just yet. 

• Love 1

Aren't blind items usually written without actually saying the celebrity's names and the point is for people to try and guess who they're talking about? Personally I obviously don't know these people, so I won't say for a fact they are or they aren't in an open relationship. If they are, whatever, to each his own.

I'm just speaking from my own personal experience as someone who has never wanted kids or particularly been fussed about marriage and been in relationships and have never done or been interested open relationships. Sometimes people just commit to another person without the whole All-American fantasy - marriage, babies, etc.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

There's been lots of blind items about them over the years.

No one follows blinds more than me, the only blind I've heard is they used a cucumber at an event to have sex, using cucumbers to get off doesn't not equal open relationship. I really hope they did break up (rather than cheating behind his back) and it's just that they haven't announced it, but wow Norman Reedus is so dirty and gross, he will fuck up her Style game since Pacey was always her greatest accessory.

• Love 1

No one follows blinds more than me, the only blind I've heard is they used a cucumber at an event to have sex, using cucumbers to get off doesn't not equal open relationship. I really hope they did break up (rather than cheating behind his back) and it's just that they haven't announced it, but wow Norman Reedus is so dirty and gross, he will fuck up her Style game since Pacey was always her greatest accessory.

Here's a blind item reveal about them. 

Seems the critic at Vanity Fair isn't impressed with Noah's novel or the writing on this show:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/12/the-affair-season-2-noah-novel

It now feels as if the series has been saddled with Noah’s bad book in some metaphoric or karmic sense—just as, in a more literal sense, it has always been burdened by its silly murder mystery subplot, to which, further indulging the Aronofsky overkill itch, the writers have this season added a paternity muddle. At some point, presumably in Season 3, a show that was once admirably character driven will devolve into a Perry Mason–style courtroom whodunit, with Helen’s purloined pacifier eliciting gasps from the jury. Descent—they said it, alright. And I’m not holding out much hope for Noah’s “great man” novel-in-progress about Omar Bradley. Neither, it turns out, is his editor, Harry. In Sunday’s penultimate episode he begged Noah to put the new book aside and crank out a sequel to Descent. Drop the pretension, Harry suggested, and just admit this is the kind of writer you are: a potboiler novelist with a literary veneer. The Affair seems to be struggling towards a similar realization.   http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/12/the-affair-season-2-noah-novel

This is an ongoing problem with lots of shows, because we never know anymore how many episodes a season consists of. 12? 10? 8? 6? It could be any of those answers with any show.

So--how many episodes does this season of The Affair have? Is this Sunday's episode the finale?

I haven't seen last Sunday's episode yet, so I don't have the benefit of having heard any announcement that would answer my question.

Knowing how many episodes matters, because as a viewer you kind of regulate your response to a given episode with that knowledge. If I'm watching the season finale of a show, I want to know going in that I'm watching the season finale of the show--not be surprised next week when it isn't on.

Moderators, if you're reading--I think it could be a public service to put a pinned topic at the top of every show forum saying "This show has X episodes."

I should have read this topic long ago, but only happened across it recently.  I didn't know the co-creator, who was the creator of the masterful In Treatment, had left the show in the classic situation of starting out to make art and then having the network push it in a commercial direction.  I'd say no wonder it has gone downhill so badly, except that the one puzzling thing for me is that I felt it maintained its quality until halfway through the second season, and it sounds like he left long before that.  (Maybe he left when they pushed for the first drop of piss in the pie, and it was only recently that the thing just became an all-out urinal cake.)

Whatever the case, it is now hard to believe this was the show I was so thrilled by over the summer, catching up on S1, and then on into the fall until just a month or so ago.  It has become a total travesty at this point.  Sad.

Edited by SlackerInc

I should have read this topic long ago, but only happened across it recently.  I didn't know the co-creator, who was the creator of the masterful In Treatment, had left the show in the classic situation of starting out to make art and then having the network push it in a commercial direction.  I'd say no wonder it has gone downhill so badly, except that the one puzzling thing for me is that I felt it maintained its quality until halfway through the second season, and it sounds like he left long before that.  (Maybe he left when they pushed for the first drop of piss in the pie, and it was only recently that the thing just became an all-out urinal cake.)

Whatever the case, it is now hard to believe this was the show I was so thrilled by over the summer, catching up on S1, and then on into the fall until just a month or so ago.  It has become a total travesty at this point.  Sad.

The 2012 NY Magazine article linked here seems to be about Girls, not this show. 

• Love 1

I agree with the NY Post author, although I thought the show maintained its quality for the first half of S2.  Then it just pivoted so incredibly quickly from being a serious and subtle adult drama to being a twisty, soapy, wildly implausible melodrama.

• Love 2
On August 31, 2016 at 4:15 PM, truthaboutluv said:

Is Alison sleeping with someone else?

It's possible, since the events of last season's finale obviously caused a rift between Noah and Alison, so poor victim Alison will need a (sympathetic, horny, male) shoulder to cry on. Cole won't be available since he's presumably happy with Luisa, so I can see her having another affair.

Another possibility is that Brendan Frasier is for Helen. She didn't seem completely happy with Dr. Tinder last season, and when she told Noah that he had a job offer in LA, she didn't seem sad that he might be moving across the country. But then he was sitting next to her at the trial, which means he didn't take the job. Perhaps Helen feels suffocated and cheats on him.

Edited by chocolatine
On 1/6/2018 at 5:24 PM, ShortyMac said:

Season 4 will premiere on June 17.

From the EW link:

The Affair, which stars Dominic West and Ruth Wilson, will return Sunday, June 17, at 9 p.m. ET. Showtime also released new info on the fourth season — which will introduce a handful of new characters played by Sanaa Lathan, Ramon Rodriguez, Russell Hornsby, Christopher Meyer, Amy Irving, and Phoebe Tonkin — and revealed that there will likely be a fifth season.

Oh my god! Why, why is there a fifth season?! 

All 4 are in new relationships..despite the fact that Cole and Helen cheated on their current partners and were forgiven/taken back, and seemed to be quite settled.  Why?  Who cares?  Just to stir up some unnecessary soapy drama to try and distract the audience from the fact that this show has jumped the shark.