Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Red Zone

I am not a big fan of the Bishop character or how he is being used the in the current story line, but even I found Kalinda's answer to what case her girlfriend is working on  to be way too vague -- especially considering how super efficient Kalinda is at getting information. And, again, Kalinda not knowing what the plastic card could be used for? She is usually the person explaining the latest tech and computer virus threat to the rest of the characters.

Alicia's brother just shows up at her office and expects a busy lawyer - who is also running for SA - to be available for a  couple of hours, within an hour? Wow. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2

Interesting. I couldn't figure out how Bishop/Kalinda thought Lana wouldn't notice some strange card in her wallet sooner rather than later. Planting a tracking device/rfid card on a federal agent would've brought down more heat than anyone would want, and Kalinda would've fallen under suspicion as someone with access. It also explains how Bishop knew Kalinda lied about which cases Lana was working (making the overheard conversation a red herring), and now he'll know she didn't plant the card.

The question then becomes: Does Kalinda know she's being played?

If Kalinda didn't before she does now.  It does seem more likely that the card was a test of some kind.  Bishop is too smart to do anything that could lead back to him.

How much cred should we give Lana?  Has she proven to be particularly good at figuring stuff out in the past?

I'm mulling over the significance of Lana telling her coming out story to Kalinda.  I'd thought it was meant to show Kalinda becoming closer to her. But maybe it was Lana trying to rope Kalinda in. 

Edited by pinetastic
  • Love 1

I always thought Lana was pretty genuine in her feelings for Kalinda...taking what Kalinda was capable of offering. Now I assume being played by and lied to by Kalinda more than once might change that, but I'd be really disappointed if Lana ends up double crossing Kalinda in the end. I'm even hanging onto some hope that Kalinda might actually have feelings for Lana too, so let me live under my rock until Sunday. :) 

ETA:  Yes, I know there is a very good chance of one of them not making it through the season alive.

Edited by SaabStory
  • Love 2

How much cred should we give Lana?  Has she proven to be particularly good at figuring stuff out in the past?

Lana has always known what Kalinda is capable of. Before the "Leela" debacle, I had always been under the impression Lana even knew Kalinda's past and therefore had every right to professionally protect herself from Kalinda. Instead, she's always had this under-the-table-give-and-take deal with Kalinda, a potential career suicide if there was one. However, at the same time I've always thought her feelings for Kalinda were her blindside; despite the risks she dealt with her anyway. And yet, Lana herself isn't above using Kalinda for her own professional ends, this episode is an example. She clearly lied to Kalinda that she's in on the Bishop investigation. So it's possible she is trying to use Kalinda to get to Bishop, in the same way he is trying to do likewise. But Bishop already has federal contacts, so it wouldn't surprise me if this Kalinda ploy is hers, privately. In a strange way, their relationship gets vastly complicated by development of genuine feelings, which is where I think this is heading.

Edited by Boundary
  • Love 4

She clearly lied to Kalinda that she's in on the Bishop investigation.

Did she?  I know Kalinda lied to Bishop, but I don't know that was because Lana lied to her.  I just thought she was protecting Lana.  Did I miss where she told Kalinda she was doing white collar crime or whatever Kalinda told Bishop. 

Did she?  I know Kalinda lied to Bishop, but I don't know that was because Lana lied to her.  I just thought she was protecting Lana.  Did I miss where she told Kalinda she was doing white collar crime or whatever Kalinda told Bishop. 

Kalinda overhead part of her phone conversation which mentioned Bishop, before Lana drowned her voice with running water in the bathroom. Lana lied to Kalinda and Kalinda lied to Bishop to protect Lana. I don't know what Bishop knows but he clearly didn't buy Kalinda's lie. 

• Love 1

Don't want to derail this with too much OT, but unfortunately the college tribunal or whatever you call it is pretty ripped from the headlines; there have been a number of similar incidences in the news recently. The sheer number of colleges whose policies and or "investigations" of sexual assault  is lacking is pretty disturbing. And yeah, for the most part they discourage victims from using local police in favor of campus police, to the detriment of the victim's cases. Apparently bad PR outweighs victim's needs. Several Title IX lawsuits have sprung up in the last year over this.

Back to the show. It was interesting that Alicia's entitlement just now becomes an issue. I had not really thought of her that way, more clueless. But entitlement is actually a thread running through most of the characters on the show. They highlighted it with Cary's mock testimony. Alicia though, why is she even running? She never articulated a good reason. And her refusal to go along with campaign protocol makes it seem like she barely deigns to participate. To which I say, get the hell out of the kitchen lady, this path is not for you.

• Love 3

Alicia though, why is she even running? She never articulated a good reason.

I've complained a lot about how they handled this season.  Yet, thinking a bit more, she's running because she wants the power, she wants the office, she wants the validation. I think we don't ask why men run for office in the way we ask why women do. 

She's gone from "that's crazy", to "can I?", to "should I?" to "Fuck it, I am".   As annoying as I've found her this season, I just realized why the hell shouldn't she take the shot when she has it?  

• Love 1

She can't be murdered or even explicitly intimidated  with impunity (vs. more subtly intimidated, like Bishop's message about the PAC).

Alicia firmly  decided to announce her candidacy  when Eli pointed out the large cash donations from "citizens" in a grass root effort. The figure grew from 183,000 to over 250,000, while they watched. Then Bishop told her she was still his employee, because this was his money. And  here they are questioning Cary about being employed by Bishop? Alicia,you gotta see where this is going.

Finn knows that Cary is innocent, and yet  he is going to let these serious charges and persecution continue against Cary and by proxy: Alicia's firm. All of this in an effort to bring down Bishop, the man who is buying a state's attorney: St Alicia. Yep the focus group is spot on....Alicia believes she is entitled.

• Love 2

It took me two days to even watch this show, I am so not invested in the stories anymore.

I hate that Alicia is running to SA. If she wins, I will not watch the show anymore

Can we PLEASE finish the Cary story? Hopefully with him not guilty. (another reason to not watch if he is found guilty)

I love that Cary told Kalinda to go to hell. It's about time someone rejected her "magic vagina".

I think Kalinda will either run away or be in witness protection. I hope they don't kill off another character.

Canning - could he be any worse?

More Diane!! What is going one with this show? It was Alicia's case that was highlighted, and her stupid campaign, and we got very little of Diane, who is by far my favorite on this show.

• Love 1

I've complained a lot about how they handled this season. Yet, thinking a bit more, she's running because she wants the power, she wants the office, she wants the validation. I think we don't ask why men run for office in the way we ask why women do.

She's gone from "that's crazy", to "can I?", to "should I?" to "Fuck it, I am". As annoying as I've found her this season, I just realized why the hell shouldn't she take the shot when she has it?

Alicia has shown her appreciation for Peter most when he uses his power. Ultimately she chose to be the Governor 's wife instead of being with Will. It's interesting to see her go for the power herself instead of the man with power.

• Love 2

there's bad and unfair but that was cliched and dumb. A panel of three, with only one male faculty? And nobody has read the rule book except to scold her? It just felt like telescoped bad writing to me, condensed to make a lame, cliched point. But even if it's based on reality to some extent it's all we EVER see on tv. And it's just not the case that it's how ALL schools handle it.

Eta: the Columbia case that sparked title ix was not even remotely like this, girl was having consensual sense when boy pushed her to do something she didn't want to. This was flat out ruffed and raped. Pretty clear cut. I not saying that colleges always do the right thing but this was just dumb, and if you fear bad press, stacking the deck so obviously in front of the governors wife is unbelievably stupid. As in literally, unbelievably. Having worked at a number of colleges I just didn't buy this degree of casualness for a second. It felt like get show got wildly dumbed down,

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Love 2

Cary was only making $38,000 as an SA.  I know that these jobs are extremely low-paying, but that is insane.  I can't imagine that is true.

I work as a paralegal for a similar government agency in a very expensive metropolitan city and my salary is $39,000. 

Based on the discrepancy between his salary and his $4,000/month apartment rent - he is guilty of something.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 3

Based on the discrepancy between his salary and his $4,000/month apartment rent - he is guilty of something.

I was wondering about that too. Especially since he basically seems cut off from his family where is that money coming from? Plus if he studied law at Harvard, I imagine he could potentially be still paying that off.

• Love 1

This season, what can I say? I end up watching on Demand when I'm bored.

As for this episode, I found Julianna's wig too distracting to really pay attention. I mean, normally, I can't tell it's a wig, but in this episode, it was so obvius.

I hate the Kings, their writers for annihilating and destroying a wonderful character such as Elspeth. Just to make Alicia look better and smarter.

And could Alicia's smile in the soup kitchen (the first one) be any more fake? If she wanted to look...not like an attention seeking photoop seeking to make her look better to the public, she should have ignored the person taking her pictures and just continued washing that pot. Hell, the one picture I had taken with the late Mike Wallace at a convention years ago, looks more authentic and natural.

• Love 1

It seems when they let an actor become a producer (aka SJP on Sex and the City) it throws a wrench into the show.

Not always. Mark Harmon is now Executive Producer of NCIS, has been for at least the past six to seven years, and the show hasn't suffered because of it.  Then again, this is Mark Harmon, and he, even before he became EP, was always looking out for his fellow cast mates.

• Love 1

Hasn't Margulies had a producer credit since the second season, though? I don't think it's a new thing we can blame for any recent decline in the quality of the writing. There was a comment on the episode thread for (I think) the previous episode speculating that some showrunner or other demanded "Be more like Scandal!" I have to say, I find that frightfully plausible.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

There was a comment on the episode thread for (I think) the previous episode speculating that some showrunner or other demanded "Be more like Scandal!" I have to say, I find that frightfully plausible.

Translation: "notes" from the network.

Suits... gotta love 'em

• Love 2

I agree on Kalinda and her (hair), nuances. I think she will have to sooner then later work with Lana, Finn and maybe Peter to get out of town and hide and help take Lemond Bishop down. He will start to think that Kalinda is not following his orders and not being straight with him.

I hope there is no link between Lana and Bishop and he is having Kalinda tested by giving Lana the card. Lana maybe keeping her around for more then just as a lover. Sure Lana poured her heart out to Kalinda. But time will tell.

I also hope that Robyn is back and maybe a 2nd investigator. L/G/C/L will need one too. Blake or Wiley? lol.

Edited by webruce

I just went to IMDB to look up a thing on The Good Wife, and Matthew Goode was the name I had to type to get in and show I wasn't a hacker. The stars aligned, lol

Wonder if when one of the storylines is solved this season that the Jim Moody/Nelson Dubeck Ballot stuffing story will come back? It has to still been worked on in the back ground I bet.

I know Damien Boyle left town in a hurry, but him as a once in a while opponent in court might be interesting.

Edited by webruce

I hope there is no link between Lana and Bishop and he is having Kalinda tested by giving Lana the card. Lana maybe keeping her around for more then just as a lover. Sure Lana poured her heart out to Kalinda. But time will tell.

Kalinda heard Lana talking about Bishop on the phone (Lana was in the bathroom and Kalinda was listening at the door).  It seems that there must be a connection.    

• Love 1

Kalinda heard Lana talking about Bishop on the phone (Lana was in the bathroom and Kalinda was listening at the door).  It seems that there must be a connection.    

I was thinking Lana said she didn't want to do the case against Bishop. Can't remember the exact wording. I was worried they are on the same side. Hope Lana isn't the mole.

Edited by webruce
And did I hear correctly did Castro drop out of the race? If so then what's the point in Alicia still running?

I can't believe that Castro dropping out was barely a blip on the screen!  Not only was Castro the final straw making Alicia run, but he was also going after Cary for the purpose of torpedoing Alicia.  Such a big plot point, and it rates barely a raised eyebrow?  Does not compute. 

I was glad for the rape case, because I have found Alicia so unlikeable lately that I was happy to find a reason to root for her.  It may have been ripped from the headlines, but it remains an important subject to cover because campus rape and how it's handled by schools is a huge problem.  Rape wall, indeed.

• Love 2

They did almost the same story on Blue Bloods,(Power of the Press 5.08). But Erin had the Dean arrested for witholding evidence(a semen soaked skirt). And Hanna(the rape victim) didn't look like she was happy. The rapist was still at the school. So there maybe more to this story in the future?

Edited by webruce

I missed the first 10 minutes so I was wondering WTF was going on for a while (Pants free Old Fogey is judging Cary's trial? Why is Alicia not allowed to talk to her client in a sexual assault case? Who is this woman Alicia is obsessing over?)*. But once I'd got over that, I became firmly convinced that the best thing about the episode (and this whole Season, really) was Lemond Bishop who manages to exude menace without ever raising his voice (hell, even Kalinda knows not to fuck with him). Personally, I don't think the card was as a precursor to having Lana eliminated - he may have no problem killing mooks or even (potentially) lawyers, but killing an FBI agent would have the FBI even more on the warpath to get him (I'm guessing it's some sort of digital tracker).

Other than that, I'm struggling to think of anything of interesting about the episode, which is a little worrying considering it's meant to be about Alicia, if the title is to be believed.

ETA: I'm slightly disappointed that we actually saw Bishop & Kalinda in his car, because it torpedoed my personal tinfoil hat theory that, given every time Kalinda turned up at witness that might help Cary, that witness later died, Kalinda was actually acting as Bishop's assassin. It would also explain why Kalinda leaves when the "Miniskirted Murderess" is revealed!

* I've since learned the answers to these, so don't feel the need to post them

Edited by John Potts