Type keyword(s) to search

The Curse Of Oak Island - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, TexasTiffany said:

Can they count Fred Nolan's death as the "final" person to die in the curse? 

I wondered the same thing.  Somebody should have taken his body and dumped it into the money pit and then yelled, "Oh NO!!!  Fred fell in."  (I'm sorry.  I have a sometimes sick sense of humor.  I'll go stand in the corner now.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I wondered the same thing.  Somebody should have taken his body and dumped it into the money pit and then yelled, "Oh NO!!!  Fred fell in."  (I'm sorry.  I have a sometimes sick sense of humor.  I'll go stand in the corner now.)

Find a corner with some uneven stones. Look for a dent that resembles an arrow, a triangle, or some sort of cleft. If you still can't find one, MAKE one. Contact the show and say you've found evidence that the Knights Templar were in your "corner" of the world. Good for at least 1 episode. 

• Love 2

This week the blatant misrepresentations were more annoying than usual.   The guy did not say the stone was seen in 1982.   He said the guy was a member of the Halifax Club until 1982 and he said he saw the stone.   He did not say WHEN he say the stone.   Also, really, they thought they would just walk in and see the stone sitting in the floor?   With all the people looking for it all those years? If it were really in the Halifax Club someone would have mentioned it before now.

Then they trot out that poor lady for more filler.   Half her family dies in the money pit and that just shows its importance.   They HAVE to dig it up for her family.   No they don't.   They should realize that people died for this half baked story with no factual basis behind it.  They should stop and think about what they are doing instead of damn the torpedoes full speed ahead.

If they just did more critical thinking I would be a lot happier.

• Love 1

I really like the Lagini brothers and the premise of the show.  But when they showed the "1709" (is that the right number?) stone, I looked at Mr. AZC and said, "That looks like something someone had sitting at the end of their driveway to show the postman their house number."

I don't need to find a treasure.  I'd be happy to have just the money they're spending on the hunt.

• Love 7
On 11/30/2016 at 2:36 PM, TexasTiffany said:

Can they count Fred Nolan's death as the "final" person to die in the curse? 

I was wondering that as well lol 

Unless maybe he didn't die on the island? I'm assuming he was probably off the island in a hospital or something otherwise it would have been a surprise to everyone in their little hut. 

This last episode was borrrrrrrring.  Let's get to digging!

• Love 1

When they show actual big serious equipment digging... is that just a teaser for NEXT season? 

They've shown the serious equipment to us in snippets, since this season started. It made me excited that they're actually doing something now! I was thinking they were starting out with a bang and getting down to it! But, they keep showing us red herrings to keep us watching but not coming up with anything again. How many shows are in a season? The big serious digging is what I've been watching this show for since the beginning. BTW, I don't mean tearing up the island to do so. I mean strategic, precise, digging. I do like that the Lagina brothers are respectful of the environment.

8 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I really like the Lagini brothers and the premise of the show.  But when they showed the "1709" (is that the right number?) stone, I looked at Mr. AZC and said, "That looks like something someone had sitting at the end of their driveway to show the postman their house number."

I don't need to find a treasure.  I'd be happy to have just the money they're spending on the hunt.

YES! I thought the same thing! Someone spent an hour scratching the number into a rock. Could be from 300 yrs ago or 2 days ago. Either way they spend 20 minutes presenting it, pondering over it, doing a close up of it, reminiscing over those who have come before and are lost for it, all with hushed tones of reverence, of course. This show does a lot of filler.

If they find anything, Marty and Rick will dress up in Capt. Jack Sparrow garb and Knights Templar armor. Then, Steven Spielberg will helicopter land and want the rights to do the next Indiana Jones On Oak Island movie. 

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Love 1

I imagine this season will end when the heavy drilling equipment reaches perhaps just a few feet from whatever their stated goal is-unless they are all tired of the show and just want to end it.  Of course even if they drill down a mile and find nothing, there will be people who will claim they obviously are drilling in the wrong spot and the money pit has to be someplace else.

Personally I thought this weeks guest probably the best realist they have ever had on the show.  I thought it as pretty clear she thought the person who followed her family pretty much wrecked havoc and it would be next to impossible find anything in the cove, if not on the island.

• Love 1

Despite the show's obvious faults (and there are many) I'm glad it's back and look forward to watching every week.    In one of the promos they teased about actually finding something this season.   I really hope that's true.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

Two other areas mentioned on that map were "The Hole Under" and "The Valve". I'm surprised they didn't already give us their thoughts on what those could mean. A valve regulates something, like maybe water, so how about scout it out first? 

It would make sense to find the valve first--after all what is the first thing you do when you have a water leak?  Turn off the valve

• Love 1

Jiminey Crickets, would they stop with the "mysterious hatch?"   Now it's possible that treasure was there once and was removed.   Based on frigging what?   Fairy dust and wishful thinking?

I bet if you go to any other house on the Island or nearby mainland that is over 100 years old you will find a similar "mysterious" hatch and perfectly square hole in the ground.   It's called a damn root cellar.    

Let's look at this logically.   Which is the more likely explanation -- treasure vault or root cellar?   Occams's razor, "think horses, not zebras" and a host of other philosphies say ..... root cellar.  

But nope, these dopes are going "empty square hole, proof of buried treasure.   it's gone though.   but the fact it was removed proves there is treasure on the island."

At this point I'm watching to see if someone, anyone shows a lick of common sense.

• Love 4

But the Templar Knights would have had to have some place to store their food while they spent months/years digging the money pit.  They could have easily made room for the treasure with the potatoes.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, gunderda said:

wait wait wait.... you spend millions of dollars to get this equipment and the moment you find a tiny amount of wood - YOU STOP!?!?!  like how about you dig a little further and see if you get MORE wood?

Hi everyone, first post here. That was my thought too. They didn't have a plan for when they hit the vault? They stand there, panicking and wringing their hands because they haven't hit wood then as soon as they do they stop and walk away to think about it. All the while, they have to pay full wages on the equipment sitting there. I know it's scripted but there had to be a better story line than this!

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

Hi everyone, first post here. That was my thought too. They didn't have a plan for when they hit the vault? They stand there, panicking and wringing their hands because they haven't hit wood then as soon as they do they stop and walk away to think about it. All the while, they have to pay full wages on the equipment sitting there. I know it's scripted but there had to be a better story line than this!

Not to mention the tubes or whatever have already go down into the 'vault', if's actually there so why not at least pull up the stuff that's still in them?? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

These are people who in the very first season found a coin in the swamp.    Haven't been back since.   The ONE place they actually found something and they give up and walk away from it for years.    It's their MO, spend 5 minutes on the theory of the week then move on.   There is no plan other than -- look for treasure.   There is no plan on where to look, how to look, anything.   A more scientific approach might have yielded some actual evidence, or shown its all a hoax much sooner.    Of course this a group who takes an empty hole as "proof" there is treasure.

• Love 2

They can walk away from an area like the swamp because they know there is nothing to find there.  They have talked a bit about how Dunfield came in and tore the place up   http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/photos/robert-dunfield-excavation-gallery/     http://www.crystalinks.com/oakislandmystery.html

You can clearly see the cofferdams that Renstall's daughter mentioned when she wished them luck finding anything in the swamp

I will suggest it's likely that any wood they are finding might be from Dunfield's work, put in to shore up the works.  I did notice that the last couple of debris/sludge they showed being removed while they were looking for wood were very, very wet. 

Tell me about it.   "A ....[insert object here] found on Oak Island?   Could it be from [insert latest theory here]?"  Although at least there is some action.   But stop with the how scientific the current approach is compared to the Dunfield's work.   First, Dunfield just ripped everything to hell and gone, that is a low bar.   Second, jumping at every little theory someone brings you and running from site to site to dig is NOT scientific.   You are just using bigger equipment than Dunfield that is all.

• Love 7

Of course Francis Bacon hid the original Shakespeare manuscripts on Oak Island.   He would undertake a risky, dangerous voyage to Nova Scotia just to hide those things because clearly there are no hiding places in ALL of England.   And then he refers to building a Utopia on a high point on a shore.   Wow, must be Oak Island.   You what else is an Island?   ENGLAND.   

They actually found some artifacts.   Really cool ones too.   Can't be just evidence of a British Encampment.   Nope, has to be proof of a British Encampment that hid the treasure from the sack of Havana.   Because of course a troop of soliders would go all the way from Cuba to Oak Island to hide the treasure.  Did anyone do any research to see if there was a record of a British military encampment on the Island during the Seven Years War?   Bet there was.   Just like there were encampments all over Canada.   Perfectly ordinary encampments not connected with treasure in any way shape of form.   Then you could see if the troops stationed there had been anywhere else.   You know actual evidence to build a theory on, not just the latest speculation that always leads ... TREASURE.

• Love 2

May I just say for the record the statement that nature doesn't produce right angles is 100% BS.  Lots things have right angles including salt and other crystals.. Let alone that '90 degree angle' they discovered in the 'cavern/sinkhole'  wasn't even 90 degrees.

Also the most obvious reason for finding a George II coin and possible signs of a military camp would be a survey crew?  If the government-which at that time would have been British was going to sell parcels, you have to have to have a survey to know the boundaries of those parcels.  They would have been surveying Oak Island at the same time people would have George II change in their pockets. 

Shakespeare's manuscripts would not have been as valuable during Francis Bacon's time because Bacon was contemporary to Shakespeare.  The theory that Francis Bacon wrote Shakespeare's plays in a Victorian theory.   How do they expect something like a manuscript to survive being submerged anyway?  And if they are having to use modern heavy equipment to get down to depths of their bore holes--how did anyone else dig down that deep to bury it to begin with--and then leave very little trace of being there?

• Love 5

Now they are finally down there and send a diver who doesn't "see" anything through the murky water and Marty wants to give up before they've used the metal detector. Is this new skepticism show-driven for drama? They've tried everything else for drama.

I'm hoping they find something. I love a good adventure with a pay off. 

1 hour ago, Liberty said:

Also noticed Marty had a new shirt or two.

Marty and Rick were wearing a red shirt and a green shirt. Made me wonder if this was supposed to be their Christmas episode. Snerk.

When Marty was saying, "Let's quit on 10-X," and Rick was saying, "I'm not ready to quit yet," I felt like the look on Marty's face was, "You're a retired postal worker and I'm running an active winery.  Who's signing the checks?"  Those who seem to be the bigger investors wanted to quit; those who are in it for the emotional factor want to stay.

I love this show, but I was with Marty on this one.

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

When Marty was saying, "Let's quit on 10-X," and Rick was saying, "I'm not ready to quit yet," I felt like the look on Marty's face was, "You're a retired postal worker and I'm running an active winery.  Who's signing the checks?"  Those who seem to be the bigger investors wanted to quit; those who are in it for the emotional factor want to stay.

I love this show, but I was with Marty on this one.

I took that conversation to mean, we'll go back in the future if we can find a new angle for drama.

• Love 2

I'm not sure what episode but I keep thinking about that rock. A long while back they had sonar showing that "rock or box or chest" on the bottom. Chatterton said he moved a "rock". They've done sonar scans after that. So where is the "rock" now? It showed up on the first scans. Chatterton did not bring it topside. So why aren't they finding the dang "rock" now? 

Edited by TexasTiffany

They can't find it.   they think they are in a different chamber than the one Chatterton was in.   Because it can't be it was just a rock and it got covered in silt with all the work they are doing.   Nope, the "object" has to have "mysteriously" disappeared.   

Last night was just hilarious.   We only have enough budget to look for the money pit or dig at 10X.   We can only do one.   Which one?   Everyone wants to stay with 10X.   One person wants to look for the money pit.   Suddenly it's "Oh forget the budget, let's do both."   But of course.   Because all the expense is transporting equipment to the Island.   You only have to pay workers for 5 minutes of work before they stop to do something else.   So plenty of money to do everything else, really.   

Would they please stop trotting out poor Dan Blankenship.   You can tell the man is not up to this.   Although 96 years old, over 50 years of digging, he's found nothing, yet he is STILL convinced there is treasure on that there Island.    Delusion is a sad thing.

• Love 3

Notice that they didn't mention they are also allegedly working in the swamp as well.  That hasn't been mentioned in a number of episodes.   I too wish they would stop including Dan Blankenship-anyone who has spent 50 years searching for his personal El Dorado is not going to give a reasoned view about setting priorities.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

...Suddenly it's "Oh forget the budget, let's do both."   But of course.   Because all the expense is transporting equipment to the Island.  ...

On Gold Rush, one of the characters said 'the money is in the show, not the gold'.  

This is reality TV, and I have no idea what the arrangement for expenses and appearances with Histo is, however I have heard the longer a show runs the more the characters get paid.  Dan Blankenship may be 'ringing the register' every time he appears.  Anyone have any concrete ideas about expenses and compensation?  

I have LOOONG wanted to get my hot little hands on one of these reality show contracts.   I've heard everything from thousands of dollars per show to "only expenses" being bandied about.    I want to see it in writing.

Because, yeah, I totally believe Disco is footing the bill for all the heavy equipment and the "budget" discussion was solely from the dramaz.

My husband and I love to watch and laugh at this show.  The fact that grown men would spend their time searching for something that, IMO, is NOT there just boggles our minds.  Hate the damned announcer.  This week they found some old wood and a bone.  WOW!  Can't wait to see what that's all about.

• Love 1

My son-in-law absolutely loves this program.  My daughter even got him a copy of the original Readers Digest which had the article that caught the attention of the Lagina brothers when they were kids.  I was interested it at first, but we now refer to it as the dunh-Dunh-DUNH show (spoken with fervor and in increasing volume at every commercial break).

Some people have too much money and too little common sense.  And most of them now have their own reality TV shows.

• Love 4

Or all of the above!!!!

It would be amazing if they pull something like The Ark of the Covenant out of that place, but everyone knows that's in a crate in an obscure warehouse in Washington DC.  (Raiders of the Lost Ark reference.)

• Love 3

At 10-X when they are using the pipeline to dredge the pit they find a 2-1/2" long bone. Only 1? Aren't we expecting to find the entire skeleton of the man who died and fell in the hole but couldn't be retrieved? Upon finding the bone, Marty says "what does this mean?". They were eating fried chicken and tossed the bone in the hole? Come on, Marty, you should be expecting to find the remains of one of the men. 

When Rick is bulldozing in the swamp, he says "in this exercise we hope..." Strange choice of words "exercise". They hope to find a box drain, they are expecting to find a box drain, they stop bulldozing because they've finally found an actual plank of wood which is bigger than most we've seen here. They call Barkhouse to come see. He gets there, looks at it and says, "I'm baffled as to what that is". Another strange choice of words "baffled". They are more sure of themselves when presented with only legend, myth, and innuendo.

• Love 1

Last week it was hunting down Roosevelt's records because Oak Island held Marie Antoinette's jewels.   Because "research is important."   (Me to TV:   Since WHEN????).   This week some lady shows up and is all "nope, it's Templar Treasure" and they are back onto Templar Treasure.   Pick.A.Theory.   Any theory.   Investigate just that theory.   Follow just those clues, until it is clear there is no support for it.   THen move to the next one.   Not a theory a week.

Oh no, we found wood.   "See anything like that before Mr. Blankenship?"   "Nope, wood, not mine.  It's old."   First of all, it's a piece of freaking wood.   How do you know it's not the wood you used as shoring before?   Unless you got in and examined the grain, wood looks likes wood.   But he just glances at it and dismisses it as his.   Must be proof of treasure.   After all it's old.   Never mind it's so decayed from being submerged you have no clue how long it's been there.   Mr. Blankenship is the most delusional of them all.   96 and still looking for the treasure.   Because he can't admit he spent his adult life chasing a pipe dream.

• Love 1