Type keyword(s) to search

The Curse Of Oak Island - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I watched the little 10 minute sneak preview the other night, and I have to say it was underwhelming.  Basically it consisted of a zoom call (which I am tired of seeing) with several of the principles saying they may not make it out there this year because of the virus, but we'll monitor things remotely.  Not real exciting, but I'll be tuning in Tuesday regardless.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Wasn't there a 2 hr. special preview after that? 

I saw a drilling deeper as I was flipping channels.   But the bit I saw was the meeting about the L-Shaped structure.   So maybe a repeat?   I was a little distracted Tuesday night.

17 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Wasn't there a 2 hr. special preview after that? 

Like merylinkid said, I think that was a Drilling Deeper - a reworking of an older episode, essentially a repeat but they add a few deleted scenes so they get to slap the "new" tag on it.

• Love 2

I think Marty will be checking in remotely.   He's the one who always went back and forth to Michigan because of his business.   Rick doesn't have that issue so he'll probably be on Oak Island.     I've been watching since the beginning so I'll stick with it until the end. 

• Love 4

I just saw a preview for their new spinoff show "Beyond Oak Island"

Marty and Rick chasing the world's greatest treasure mysteries...

Its starting on Sunday Nov. 22 at 10pm eastern.

It's a joint venture by the producers of Oak Island and The Unexplained and it's says the first season consists of 8 Episodes.

• Useful 3
1 minute ago, merylinkid said:

Because Curse of the Civil War Gold was such a hit?    No one wants to see these guys CHASE treasure, they want to see them FIND treasure.   Yes I'm sticking with Oak Island, but that's it.

Exactly, I think they should finish up with Oak Island before branching off 

Maybe I'm naive but I always liked the Laginas and stuck with the show because there was a feeling at least for me of Rick having an honest fascination and interest in Oak Island that he developed as a child and Marty standing behind his brother.

This new venture is all about the money.... I was disappointed when Marty jumped on-board with that charlatan Kevin Dykstra and now they've decided to do it on their own...I'm disappointed in them both.... It's just a money grab.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Joan of Argh said:

Thanks for the tip.  Does that mean that Curse of Civil War Gold is cancelled?  Although Rick was cut out of that one lol.

• Love 1

I've read several posts and interviews with residents of the town where Kevin Dykstra pointed to the well known tunnels that go under the school and other buildings as just a bunch of crooks moving around stolen gold. and criminal activity by a man who many look up to as a philanthropist who built schools, libraries, hospital and provided other much needed public programs and services.

They said there was absolutely no evidence and that those tunnels are well known and are still used today for underground power cables.

The mans descendants were very upset with the way their great great grandfather was portrayed and slandered in an attempt to look like Dykstra and his team had uncovered this information when there was nothing of the sort.

I think the straw that broke the camels back was Kevin Dykstra and his gold painted bricks.  🙄

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Did they ever find the Civil War gold?  The last I seem to remember was there was an old shut down bank up north? with a vault and old safety deposit boxes long ago emptied./  And a farm field possibly some was buried??

Dustbunny looks like you've read some of the same stuff I found 👍

OK I'm basing this on articles and a couple of interviews I found months ago while trying to find out if there was going to be another season of Civil War Gold.... So you can make of it whatever you want..

Dykstra and his team slandered actual people who were well thought of and had done a lot of good things for their communities, building hospitals, schools, libraries etc.... They were local heroes of sorts but Dykstra and his team dragged their names through the mud without any evidence just to further their adventure and make it look like they were on to some big conspiracy.

The Laginas don't really do that, they present theories about groups, organizations etc. but they're actually very careful about slandering individuals or families... In one show the stone was mentioned that has a number etched into it (1407 or something I can't recall) and when the interviewer said something like maybe the Restall's faked that....the Laginas immediately defended the Restall's and said that they didn't think the Restall's would do such a thing or fake any of their finds.... Dykstra was the opposite and eagerly threw anyone and everyone under the bus and insinuated that people were crooks, liars, thieves etc. which didn't go over real well with descendants of those prominent families... No one wants to see some jackass on TV saying that their great great grandfather is a dirty rotten scoundrel and not the philanthropist that everyone thinks he was....It's one thing if you have actual evidence of such things but just slandering and naming people with nothing to back it up is something else. 

As Dustbunny said apparently the last straw was them finding the "gold painted bricks" in the lake where they'd been diving... It was obvious that someone planted the bricks but no one knew the GPS location of their dive site other than Dykstra and his team... I think he decided to plant the bricks and then find them on the season finale hoping that would get him another season but it backfired and Marty and the folks at History channel dropped him like a hot potato.

Dykstra tried to imply that some "powerful and mysterious entity" was screwing with them and planting fake bricks to keep them away from the treasure.....Marty's face said it all (he didn't look amused) and people online were left asking...."WHO?.. Who would do that, why would someone do that and HOW WOULD THEY KNOW WHERE TO PLANT THEM?... since the GPS location was a secret known only by Dykstra and his team"

Dykstra was too cute by half and shot himself in the foot with his ordinary building bricks sprayed with gold colored paint.... What an idiot. 

So unless there's been new reports since I read all of that months ago I think Civil War Gold is over, stick a fork in it...  it's done.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

The Laginas don't really do that, they present theories about groups, organizations etc. but they're actually very careful about slandering individuals or families.

Except for the black guy.   Samuel Ball.   Oh the ONLY way he could have bought all that land is if he found the treasure on Oak Island.   Not worked hard, saved his money, etc.    They are very clear they think Samuel Ball "was up to something."   

2 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Except for the black guy.   Samuel Ball.   Oh the ONLY way he could have bought all that land is if he found the treasure on Oak Island.   Not worked hard, saved his money, etc.    They are very clear they think Samuel Ball "was up to something."   

Sorry I must have missed them saying he "was up to something" 

I thought all they said was that he was a cabbage farmer and would have been digging, plowing and working his land regularly along with digging a well, root cellar etc and may have found treasure while doing so and used it to purchase more land like any ambitious person would do to grow their business.

What exactly did they think he was "up to?"

18 hours ago, Dustbunny said:

I think the straw that broke the camels back was Kevin Dykstra and his gold painted bricks.  🙄

Arrgh, those gold painted bricks!  That may have been the biggest piece of BS I've ever seen presented on a "reality show".  It is hard to see them coming back after that.

• Love 5
On November 8, 2020 at 11:45 PM, Joan of Argh said:

It's a joint venture by the producers of Oak Island and The Unexplained and it's says the first season consists of 8 Episodes.

The new show premiers next Tuesday, November 17th at 10pm

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Does Canada not have a mask mandate?

I don't know about all of Canada but I'm in British Columbia and masks are not mandatory here.

I choose to wear a mask whenever I leave my house.

Meanwhile earlier today they started talking about a 9 PM curfew..... Needless to say people aren't real happy about that so we'll see if they actually do it.

• Love 1

Thanks @Joan of Argh.   It bothered me they were all sitting in that tiny war room so close together and no one had masks on.   

As for the show itself, I realized they have found an awful lot of artifacts on that Island.   Apparently it was quite the busy place.   I would love to know more about how it came to be so busy and who came and went.   More about the French and why they built the fort.   Was it a last stand against the British, or just another fortification of an outer island.   Soooooo much that is being ignored because its not TREASURE.    If they would stop with the "so and so stopped here to BURY TREASURE" and focus on the actual history of the Island 1) they would find out a lot more about Island's history and 2) actually DO something instead of just digging holes all over the poor Island trying to find something that is not there.   

• Love 5
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Soooooo much that is being ignored because its not TREASURE.    If they would stop with the "so and so stopped here to BURY TREASURE" and focus on the actual history of the Island 1) they would find out a lot more about Island's history 

I'd like to hear more about the history of the island also.  But the show is popular because it's a treasure hunting show, and the island is interesting because some people thought there was treasure there, so I doubt if it will change much.  But the narration did seem to have a subtle switch this year to being more about the "story" than the treasure, and the previews seem to hint in that direction also.

I wanted them to ask the diver what it was that he chipped out of the wall and let slip out of his hands.  "Hey, was that a coin?".  The fact that they never showed that conversation must mean that it wasn't anything interesting.  I expected them to find more of Kevin Dykstra's gold painted bricks down there.

As for the new show, Beyond Oak Island, it looks a lot like a dozen other shows.  Anthologies featuring different stories and treasure hunts every week.  I'm sure I've seen Butch Cassidy's gold on another show somewhere, probably on Expedition Unknown.  And it looks like Rick and Marty will serve as hosts and others will go seek the treasure (like Gary Drayton next week in the season premiere).  I'll likely be tuning in though.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AnnA said:

I don’t know where you live @dustbunny but here in New York the premier is Tuesday, November 17th

D09498B4-2AB7-4887-9217-5B4762DC917C.jpeg

I'm pretty sure Dustbunny knows that and was just showing you why I said Nov 22.

A lot of us are in Canada which airs the show on different dates than USA

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Joan of Argh said:

I'm pretty sure Dustbunny knows that and was just showing you why I said Nov 22.

Thanks for the explanation.   Do you think Primetimer will make a thread for the new show?   If not and we comment on it here, we'll have to remember to use spoiler tags from the 17th to the 22nd. 

40 minutes ago, AnnA said:

Thanks for the explanation.   Do you think Primetimer will make a thread for the new show?   If not and we comment on it here, we'll have to remember to use spoiler tags from the 17th to the 22nd. 

Good point, I'm not sure 

I'll try asking the moderator what they want to do. 👍

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AnnA said:

we'll have to remember to use spoiler tags from the 17th to the 22nd. 

That would be hard to remember.  Not sure what there would be to spoil anyway, unless you expect them to actually find these treasures in these one off episodes.  It would take more than a top pocket find for me to feel spoiled.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Anybody can create a thread for the new show.  Just do it in "Other Candid Reality Shows" the same as Oak Island

ETA:  Hit the green Start Topic button.

I tried but I kept getting an error message that wanted me to check the values tab... blah, blah, blahhhh. 😮

I thought maybe you needed to be a moderator for some reason but maybe it's just my computer so if someone else wants to try please do so.

I can't believe Marty was so calm about losing that (maybe) coin.  Thousands of dollars were spent to get that dive team there and set up the equipment.  A diver goes down the tube and drops the most important thing they wanted him to find and retrieve.

Apparently, they were operating under strict rules:  Granted that the diver only had two more minutes of safe air time, but it sounded like - even had that not been an issue - they were not authorized to go down another 20 feet to try to find whatever he dropped in the silt.  And they said something about needing to get permission if they were to try to dive again.  

So they had ONE shot.  The guy drops the item, and Marty says, "Things happen."  Was that after he'd downed a couple of bottles of Mari Vineyard product?

Edited by AZChristian
Memo to self: Get to end of thread before commenting on earlier posts.
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I can't believe Marty was so calm about losing that (maybe) coin.  Thousands of dollars were spent to get that dive team there and set up the equipment.  A diver goes down the tube and drops the most important thing they wanted him to find and retrieve.

It had to have been incredibly disappointing.  But considering the dangerous and difficult situation, what can you do?  Blast the guy and make him feel like a loser?  I'm sure the diver felt terrible about it.  He made a mistake and probably learned from it.  I'm certainly not going to criticize him because there is no way you would get me to go down into that hole.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, rmontro said:

It had to have been incredibly disappointing.  But considering the dangerous and difficult situation, what can you do?  Blast the guy and make him feel like a loser?  I'm sure the diver felt terrible about it.  He made a mistake and probably learned from it.  I'm certainly not going to criticize him because there is no way you would get me to go down into that hole.

I agree with all you've said, but it just struck me how calm Marty was.  Not even an "Oh, shit" to echo what the diver himself said.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 11/11/2020 at 1:31 PM, Joan of Argh said:

yes thanks Joan,

sorry AnnA, I just popped in for a minute, I should have explained 🙂

I could not believe it when the diver dropped the coin!!!  ACK!!!!

The only thing he had to do was retrieve it and *plop* 😫

• Love 4

In the Nov 10, 2020 (in Canada) episode "Remote Control", I laughed out loud when Dr. Ian Spooner said "Beauty" when he shaded his computer screen in the swamp. I haven't heard that in years, since Wayne's World. 

When they showed the animated plan with the diver chipping samples with a hammer & chisel, I just knew he'd drop something. And it is always time to surface when they first start finding something.

There are mask mandates in big cities in Canada, but Nova Scotia and the adjacent Maritimes provinces locked out others, even Canadians, from entering their bubble. As things open up there are 14-day quarantines of incomers, even if they have no symptoms. That's how they've been keeping their cases low (14 active cases in NS at the moment in a population just shy of 1 million).

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

same stupid phone calls of " we found something I think you really want to come see" yada,yada,yada. 

Yeah, that's really starting to wear thin.  "Hey, we found a scrap piece of leather.  You better get down here right now".  Eh, okay.  I know they're trying to find historical evidence and trying to hype up the drama, but come on.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Yeah, that's really starting to wear thin.  "Hey, we found a scrap piece of leather.  You better get down here right now".  Eh, okay.  I know they're trying to find historical evidence and trying to hype up the drama, but come on.

I loved the first guy thinking it was a piece of book binding (probably assuming something from Shakespeare's time), and the other guy looks at it and says, "It's part of a shoe."

How could anyone know?????  It's all guesswork.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I don't remember much of this week's episode which means I dozed off for most of it.  It's getting harder and harder to watch this show but I'm not ready to give up yet.  After six years I expect them to show me SOMETHING! 

I wish Rick would stop dying his hair so much.  It's unrealistic for him to have completely gray/white facial hair and dark brown hair on his head.   

• LOL 4
On 11/21/2020 at 4:57 PM, AnnA said:

It's unrealistic for him to have completely gray/white facial hair and dark brown hair on his head

I see another spin-off show coming out of this. The Curse of the Lost Hair Color. 

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

Oak Island was a navy shipyard.

The jetty

The rumor of the sunken ship where the two parts of the island come together

The kiln they found last week (there are other uses for tar besides waterproofing a TREASURE tunnel.   Like waterproofing a ship)

The oxen were used to haul logs that were split with the axe.   The flanges that were found can be used to split logs.

It all fits.   What better place than an island.   No traveling a channel to get to the sea.   No concerns about navigable waterway.    Much better than THERE MUST BE TREASURE HERE.

BTW, if the British military was hanging out on the Island, and that seems likely (although I thought it was the French who built the L shaped structure), then everybody and their great aunt was not pulling up to the Island to stop off treasure.    I think the very obvious signs of military presence makes it HIGHLY unlikely there is any treasure to be found.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

It all fits.   What better place than an island.   No traveling a channel to get to the sea.   No concerns about navigable waterway.    Much better than THERE MUST BE TREASURE HERE.

Make sense.  How does that explain the Money Pit though, if that story is true?  I also wonder why there isn't more of a record of a military presence on the island?

They continue to be shifting their emphasis from finding treasure to finding the history of the island.  They seem to be lowering the expectations.

Thought this week was fairly dull.  The Beyond Oak Island spinoff episode that followed was more interesting to me.  

• Love 4

I think the money pit was just a well gone bad.   I've never believed the stone story.   No one can translate it, until some guy working from a picture claims to have translated it and it just conveniently says after all the alleged work to hide the treasure that hey keep digging you will find a treasure.    I think someone dug a well.   It floods with sea water because of natural caverns or even drainage ditches built to protect the military installation.   Once sea water gets in its useless as a well.   Then someone later digs a hole and decides its a TREASURE PIT and the story was on.   

Why no record is harder.    The only thing I can come up with is that it was only in use for a short time and the records were lost somehow.    Or they  just aren't looking for those records because its not as cool as the Templars somehow finding Oak Island in the 1300s and building this elaborate system to hide their treasure.   

The lights that led the first treasure hunters to the Island?   There's a big old swamp on that Island.    Swamp lights.   Nothing more.   

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

Scuttlebutt is that Dave Blankenship "retired" after the Lagina brothers bought Dan's property; Dave is reported to have been upset that the producers didn't give Dan enough credit for all of his research, work, etc.

Probably an unpopular opinion:  I always felt that Dan was probably a pain in the ass to work with, and that he had a lot more information than he shared with the OI team.  Given a couple of maps and things they've found in his papers (which they also purchased), this may be true.

My (joking) opinion is that the opening to the vault in the Money Pit can only be accessed by a hidden stairway behind a bookcase in the Blankenship basement.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4