Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

The Curse Of Oak Island

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Find something already!!!!!!

They have found lots of something.   That if they did a REAL ARCHEOLOGICAL DIG instead of just digging holes with large equipment would tell the world what life was like on Oak Island in the colonial period.    If they stop saying everything is TREASURE!!!!!!! and just went, hmmmm, wonder why we found this sail needle here?   Or who would have worn an iron cross like that?   

Remember when they found the square room in the ground?    THEY said it was proof that treasure was there and because it was empty meant someone moved the treasure.     said it was a freaking root cellar.   But whose root cellar?   What kind of vegetables would have been stored there?    What would they tell us about the diet of the colonists?   

Heck finding the L shaped structure and the possible connection to the French military being there would be awesome to explore.   Why Oak Island?   Last stand?   Only place left?   Regrouping to attack the English?   WHYYYYYY????   Instead we get "they were hiding treasure fro the English."

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

12 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I used to think that Marty's other show with Kevin Dykstra was ridiculous but Curse of oak Island is quickly going in that direction.

I guess you mean Curse of Civil War Gold.  Clearly Marty has learned the value of hokum treasure hunt TV shows.

Think we'll ever hear Rick say:  "Sorry little brother, I guess I never should have dragged you into this"?

"Are you kidding me, big brother?  We've made more from this TV show than we ever could from some imagined treasure.  And it's great free advertising for my other businesses.  This was my plan all along.  You didn't really think I'd buy into one of your crazy schemes, did you? I'm leaving my Oak Island property to my son Alex, by the way".

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think the "rock path" is much of a mystery. To get from one island to the other they built a stone path. I doubt it was for a boat ramp. They found the slipway in Smith's Cove. It's not like they need one on every side.

I never bought into the theory that a ship was sunk in the swamp. That would be wasting the valuable lumber. 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/16/2020 at 11:41 AM, TexasTiffany said:

I don't think the "rock path" is much of a mystery. To get from one island to the other they built a stone path. I doubt it was for a boat ramp. They found the slipway in Smith's Cove. It's not like they need one on every side.

I never bought into the theory that a ship was sunk in the swamp. That would be wasting the valuable lumber. 

 

Yes I think your explanation for the "rock path" sounds logical... They keep looking for some big pie in the sky reason for everything when it's probably just something practical like a path.

Good point on the lumber as well, Ive read books about early pioneers and they used every stick of wood they could lay their hands on to build shelter... Some traveled to their homestead and used the wood from the covered wagon to get a roof over their heads before winter, much quicker than harvesting trees and starting from scratch with everything.... No way would they waste all that wood in a swamp.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

What did we learn last night kids?   

That there is a reason that archeologists go slowly with tiny tools.   Because the old stuff is fragile.   If you go rampaging around with heavy equipment you might break the very stuff you are trying to study.   

On the Drilling Down, poor Shatner.   He was all "you folks are nuts" but had to keep a straight face.   Especially when Mr. Bobby Dazzler was talking.     They were all "it's never been about finding gold it was about the who what where when and how?"   Oh bullshit.   It's always been about finding treasure.   The who is only concocting stories about what the treasure might be.  

They have a perfectly plausible explanation for literally everything on Oak Island after the visit to Lewisburg.   It was a French military post.   They built it exactly like Lewisburg because that's how they built military posts.   Not because "oh well that's what we know and we have to hide TREASURE here."   But that's the plans for a military post.   Militaries going back all the way to the Roman Legions have specific ways of building posts.  They do it every single time.   

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

They have a perfectly plausible explanation for literally everything on Oak Island after the visit to Lewisburg.   It was a French military post.   They built it exactly like Lewisburg because that's how they built military posts. 

Those old wooden construction that they were tearing up in the cove reminded me of fortifications for riflemen to take cover in and shoot from.  It was odd there was nothing fastening the logs together, I'm not knowledgeable about old building techniques.

The "tunnel" wood that they dug up near the money pit didn't look that old to me, so I would guess it was from searchers rather than depositors.  Amazing all the old stuff they dig up on that island.

Edited by rmontro
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

11 hours ago, merylinkid said:

What did we learn last night kids?   

That there is a reason that archeologists go slowly with tiny tools.   Because the old stuff is fragile.   If you go rampaging around with heavy equipment you might break the very stuff you are trying to study.   

 

exactly and Rick loves to sit there episode after episode saying how they will proceed with the utmost of caution and all due diligence and proper protocols will be in place to insure a detailed archeological record is kept.... blah, blah, blah...

Rick loves to sound like a professor and never met a LONG word that he didn't love.. he drives me nuts...

That poor little island... heavy equipment and nitwits smashing everything and drilling everywhere... it's like swiss cheese.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

So this morning while walking the mall, hubby and I were discussing OI.  How's this for a possibility:

Knights Templar grabbed all the treasure that has been talked about for years on the show.  They wanted to hide it, so they found Oak Island and the island immediately adjacent to it. 

The KTs were connected to the masons, and had mad building skills.  So a bunch of them went to OI and - in preparation for placing the treasure in a booby-trapped safe area - built the main vertical shaft and the water "box drains" that would flood the shaft if it were entered by someone who didn't know how to stop the flooding.  (A good description of everyone who has searched for treasure on the island.)

Just as they were preparing to actually place the treasure at the bottom of the vertical shaft (possibly in the vault that's supposed to be there), pirates landed on the island.  They overpowered the KTs and loaded the treasure AND the remaining KTs on the pirate ship.  

The pirates then burned and SANK the KTs' ship and closed off the space between the two islands to create the swamp.  They took the KTs out to sea and dumped them there, then sailed off with the treasure.

Things this would explain:

  • Why no actual treasure has been found - just the kind of stuff that would fall out of pockets and used tools.
  • Why there might be a shipwreck in the swamp.
  • Why there are actual structures from that time period, showing that the KTs (or someone else) were working on the shaft and the flood drains.

Thoughts?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Sounds at least as plausible as any other theory on the show.

However, I do  not think the "booby trapped" flood tunnels are any such thing.   I think they were an attempt to drain water AWAY from things not into.   Then they go digging all over the place ruining what was laid out so you have floods INTO the tunnels instead of away.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Thoughts?

They should have you on the show as a special guest in the War Room and you can give your theories on the show.  Probably won't happen though, since it doesn't lead to them finding treasure on the island.  

You don't even need the pirates though.  Maybe the Knights Templar built the flood tunnels and the money pit in preparation for the treasure, but then the ship that was bringing the treasure over sunk.  That way, on Oak Island 3045 they can be searching the entire bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, rmontro said:

They should have you on the show as a special guest in the War Room and you can give your theories on the show.  Probably won't happen though, since it doesn't lead to them finding treasure on the island.  

Wow.  I'm honored that you think so!  I'd be satisfied if they just had a conversation about options as to WHY they've dug up so many spots on the island and have found no actual treasure . . . just detritus.  Even the brooch could have belonged to a woman who lived on the island.

I'd love to see a War Room conversation with a white board listing "Reasons We Haven't Found the Treasure."

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Gary posted a picture of some mountains near me, and I asked on FB, "Are you looking for the Lost Dutchman treasure?"

And he LIKED my post!!!!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Gary posted a picture of some mountains near me, and I asked on FB, "Are you looking for the Lost Dutchman treasure?"

And he LIKED my post!!!!

Dutchman, baby!

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Last night digging at the site of the McGinnis farm -- "We found a hidden underground passageway"   Me:   "You found another damn root cellar."

They are digging on the site of a ruined farm house.   Literally nothing is standing and the earth is covering the site back up.   But finding something underground means its "hidden."    It's not like they had architectural drawings showing every room back then.   But it is highly likely they had some place underground for storage to keep things cool.    

But nope, everything is TREASURE.   They are learning so much about the history of the Island from before it got overrun with treasure hunters.    I really wish they cared more about that.   I'd still watch the show.    

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Last night as they roll in with the big cassons  "We didn't do much digging this year waiting for you to show up with these."   WTF?   They've been putting holes all over the damn Island and even on the Mainland all summer long.   This episode felt out of sync for some reason.

"It's the perfect size for a treasure chest."  WTF?????   I didn't know treasure chests came in standard sizes.   I figured you put the booty in whatever size chest you had handy.   Ipso facto - it's a treasure chest.   It's not like you went "oh I WAS going to hide my treasure but turns out I didn't have the right size chest so I'll just leave it sitting out."

General observations:

Why did TPTB decide to feature Gary Drayton all the time.   Even in the war room, they focus on his stupid grinning face all the time.   No matter what is said, they have to go to him for a reaction.    Do the viewers write in saying more Mr. Bobby Dazzler please?   I find him a buffoon.

On a more serious note -- do you think coronavirus will affect their ability to get up there and dig this year?    

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/25/2020 at 7:56 AM, merylinkid said:

On a more serious note -- do you think coronavirus will affect their ability to get up there and dig this year?    

Is it possible the whole coronavirus thing is all just a part of the Oak Island curse?  It only exists to stop the digging?  Maybe they're getting too close to the Ark of the Covenant.

On the episode last night, they supposedly hit a tunnel, then under that a ways they kept coming up with just buckets full of water.  They were hoping to find treasure that was displaced from the money pit.  Let's just say for a moment that there really is/was a treasure.  If it got pushed down into a large underground body of water, they will never find it, it's gone forever.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Is it possible the whole coronavirus thing is all just a part of the Oak Island curse?  It only exists to stop the digging?  Maybe they're getting too close to the Ark of the Covenant.

On the episode last night, they supposedly hit a tunnel, then under that a ways they kept coming up with just buckets full of water.  They were hoping to find treasure that was displaced from the money pit.  Let's just say for a moment that there really is/was a treasure.  If it got pushed down into a large underground body of water, they will never find it, it's gone forever.

It might be time for the Ark to be discovered since the global pandemic. It sure makes you think. 

They've told us that when the searchers built the tunnel going under the money pit they heard a crash like it was a cave in, and the tunnel filled with water. So, the contents of the money pit fell, but we don't know how far. The Lagina's are coming up with water then decided to stop. Well, shouldn't they continue down a bit more to reach the bottom? I don't know if the contents would have been washed away, but I think Rick and Marty should figure there would be a water void before reaching any valuables. They might be giving up a few feet too early. 

On a side note, this season has lasted longer than usual. At least that's what it seems like. I'm not complaining. I don't have anything else on Tuesday nights to watch so I leave it on the Lagina boys as background while I'm working. It was mentioned in last night's episode that winter is coming. I figure the season finale is coming soon. 

Edited by TexasTiffany

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

Rick and Marty should figure there would be a water void before reaching any valuables. They might be giving up a few feet too early

Which is why they're probably going to keep digging until the reach the center of the earth.  Maybe they'll find Jules Verne. 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Which is why they're probably going to keep digging until the reach the center of the earth.  Maybe they'll find Jules Verne. 

They need to change the ending to Journey to the Center of the Earth.  Instead of riding up through a volcanic tube, they should hitch a ride on the brotherhood's bucket and come up and meet the gang.  Gary Drayton will say "We've found some real Bobby Dazzlers here.  Are you Templars?  Did you see a body down there?"

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

On a side note, this season has lasted longer than usual.

Last year ran into Deadliest Catch which always starts in mid-April, so this is right on schedule.   I figure next week is the season finale.   It just seemed to drag this year because they found bupkis.   Just lots of mud.   

It is about time for them to be getting ready to go up there for digging season which is really short.   With the border closed, I don't think they are going to get up there this year in enough time to do anything.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/9/2020 at 4:10 AM, merylinkid said:

Last year ran into Deadliest Catch which always starts in mid-April, so this is right on schedule.   I figure next week is the season finale.   It just seemed to drag this year because they found bupkis.   Just lots of mud.   

It is about time for them to be getting ready to go up there for digging season which is really short.   With the border closed, I don't think they are going to get up there this year in enough time to do anything.

Really.... Do they go up this early?

I always thought they went up in May/June and from the talk in former seasons they wrap up around end of October.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Really.... Do they go up this early?

I always thought they went up in May/June and from the talk in former seasons they wrap up around end of October.

May is only a couple of weeks away.   It does not look like things are re-opening any time soon.   LA just extended its stay at home order to end of May and they were one of the first hit.  I know the federal courts have postponed all matters into June now.   

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/8/2020 at 6:09 PM, TexasTiffany said:

On a side note, this season has lasted longer than usual. At least that's what it seems like. I'm not complaining. I don't have anything else on Tuesday nights to watch so I leave it on the Lagina boys as background while I'm working. It was mentioned in last night's episode that winter is coming. I figure the season finale is coming soon. 

I said as much to my husband last night.  It seems like winter has been coming for WEEKS now!  Best as I can tell, even next week isn't the season finale.  It's the show that won't end.

On 4/8/2020 at 11:03 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Which is why they're probably going to keep digging until the reach the center of the earth.  Maybe they'll find Jules Verne. 

Heck, at the rate they're going, they're going to come out the other side.  The antipodes map tells me that would put them off the coast of Perth, Australia.  They'll find some Aussie chap in a boat:  G'day, mates!

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

19 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

They'll find some Aussie chap in a boat:  G'day, mates!

And they'll ask that Aussie chap "Hey, what's under that tarp over there?"

"Nothing".

And Rick goes over and yanks the tarp off:  "It's the Ark of the Covenant!".

And the Aussie guy says "No, no, it's a reproduction!"

While the brotherhood continues to uncover The Holy Grail and other priceless treasures.

  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

I was happy when they found the little ring, it was a nice break from the usual spikes, hopefully they'll have more information about it.

In the preview for next episode it looked like they found a pick and immediately it's a tunneling treasure chest pick..... Jeeez when I was a little girl my dad and his dad and all the neighbour's had picks, back then you needed them for digging foundations or wells or post holes etc and none of them were looking for hidden treasure.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/16/2020 at 10:27 AM, rmontro said:

And they'll ask that Aussie chap "Hey, what's under that tarp over there?"

"Nothing".

And Rick goes over and yanks the tarp off:  "It's the Ark of the Covenant!".

And the Aussie guy says "No, no, it's a reproduction!"

While the brotherhood continues to uncover The Holy Grail and other priceless treasures.

I'll see your Holy Grail and raise you Shakespeare's manuscripts and Marie Antoinette's lost jewels....  lol

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

When they were on Samuel Ball's former property, Jack is digging in that trench and discovers rocks covering a void. Was anyone else thinking Jack should probably get his behind out of that trench in case it caves in? "Should I move this rock? It's covering a big hole." 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Here is what really irks me about the story of Samuel Ball.   That there is literally no explanation considered other than he found treasure.   I know that's their explanation for everything.   But this one particularly irks me.   Because of COURSE a black man couldn't have gotten rich except by finding treasure.   Not hard work and being prudent with his money.   Nope, must be treasure.   

I did like that they cut a promo begging everyone to stay home and stay safe.   Yeah, yeah, yeah, network idea.   But I don't care.   I liked it anyway.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Because of COURSE a black man couldn't have gotten rich except by finding treasure. 

Of all the possible reasons that they might be focused on treasure (like they always are), I'm pretty sure racism isn't one of them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Watched the season finale, felt a lot like a recap show.

The most interesting part for me was when they went around the table asking if they felt there was treasure there.  Of course everyone is going to say yes, because without that everyone is out of their reality show job.  But Marty's statement that he thought it was 40% that there was something there, and 20% that it was still there, was most illuminating.

The plan to dig a 100 foot diameter circle (I think they said) that's 200 feet deep is something they should have done in the first place if they were serious about this.  They said it could take three years though, can they fill three seasons of television in that time?  And then there are any coronavirus complications that might come up.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

When they were on Samuel Ball's property a few years ago they found a hole, dug a bit and found a few metal bits and pottery shards and thought - treasure.  I thought - old well or latrine.  It was common to throw broken and no longer useful stuff into old wells & latrines since that was the only way to deal with garbage.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, deirdra said:

When they were on Samuel Ball's property a few years ago they found a hole, dug a bit and found a few metal bits and pottery shards and thought - treasure.  I thought - old well or latrine.  It was common to throw broken and no longer useful stuff into old wells & latrines since that was the only way to deal with garbage.

Exactly they never mention the most likely or obvious explanation, years ago everyone had picks to dig with because they needed to dig foundations, wells, septic fields, drainage etc and they didn't have the power tools and excavators etc like we have today but of course the minute they find anything it's immediately labeled as tunneling tools or treasure.

I remember when people would stucco their houses and they used smashed bottles of all colors, green 7Up bottles, brown beer bottles you name it... All smashed into little chunks.

They literally spread broken glass all over the outside of their house, it looked pretty in the sunshine because the house sparkled lolol.... Can't imagine someone doing that nowadays....but if the Laginas found some they'd probably call it treasure and send it off to see if it was jewels. 😂

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

but if the Laginas found some they'd probably call it treasure and send it off to see if it was jewels. 😂

or bobby dazzlers 😉

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

They literally spread broken glass all over the outside of their house, it looked pretty in the sunshine because the house sparkled lolol.... Can't imagine someone doing that nowadays.

I think some people still do that in recycling and off the grid circles.  They also sometimes use the whole glass bottle without smashing it.  Fills up more space that way.  Got to admire that they don't let things go to waste.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Didn't feel like a season finale to me.  But that's because despite actually finding stuff this year they just focued on whether or not they will find treasure in the future.   They can say they are interested in the history of Oak Island all they want.  But they aren't really.   They are literally only focused on finding treasure.   Nothing else is significant.   I would LOVE to know more about what the French Army was doing there.   But since they most likely didn't have treasure that significant find has been dropped.

Then there was the memorial to Dan Blankenship.   I'm sorry every time they bring up how long he spent searching for treasure all I can think is "what a waste.  spending your whole life looking for something based on a reader's digest article."     He uprooted his whole family spent all his savings and still kept going.   They call it "gold fever" for a reason.   It's a sickness.  The Laginas are headed that route and it will end the same way.    And another generation is already picking up the disease.   

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I would LOVE to know more about what the French Army was doing there.   But since they most likely didn't have treasure that significant find has been dropped.

I wish they would have investigated that French Army lead more vigorously.  Surely there must be some records of their operations there.  Maybe there isn't, but it doesn't look like they followed that up too intensely.

On the episode with Shatner on the William Shakespeare connection:  The older gentleman in the war room, I can't remember his name, he was saying "I don't care about Shakespeare, I want gold".  Doesn't he realize if they found Shakespeare's documents they could probably name their price for them?  Makes me wonder about ownership disputes if they actually did find something though.  If nothing else, I'm sure Canada gets a big slice.

Edited by rmontro
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Then there was the memorial to Dan Blankenship.   I'm sorry every time they bring up how long he spent searching for treasure all I can think is "what a waste.  spending your whole life looking for something based on a reader's digest article."     He uprooted his whole family spent all his savings and still kept going.   They call it "gold fever" for a reason.   It's a sickness.  The Laginas are headed that route and it will end the same way.    And another generation is already picking up the disease.   

I feel the same way..

Some of the search efforts were just companies and professionals and that's fine but much like you the families that spent their lives there make me sad, especially the Restall family who lost their father and brother...what a waste.

I think they're really scratching the bottom of the barrel for ideas to keep the show going and TLC money flowing into their pockets... Now they're refurbishing the old tool shed the poor Restall brothers lived in... I can't imagine being dragged to that island in my teens and working day in and day out shoveling, drilling, digging and then spending my evenings laying in a shack on a cot with nothing but a radio...no wonder the older brother was bossy and cranky... the surviving brother didn't seem to look back on it with any happiness, more like dread thinking of how awful it was and how he lost his dad and brother.

JMO and I don't like to talk ill of the dead but Blankenship and Restall were foolish, selfish men who really put their "little boy looking for treasure" above the well being of their families.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I have to say, I thought the Shakespeare/Shatner special was more interesting than the actual finale, although that’s probably because I know very little about Shakespeare conspiracy theories.  I was particularly fond of the concept of Francis Bacon as a sort of Elizabethan Edward Stratemeyer, directing a horde of ghostwriters producing works published under someone else’s name.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, jennblevins said:

I was particularly fond of the concept of Francis Bacon as a sort of Elizabethan Edward Stratemeyer, directing a horde of ghostwriters producing works published under someone else’s name.  

It was an interesting idea.  When they showed the bad penmanship of Shakespeare's signature, a couple of things struck me.  First off, a lot of people's signature becomes nearly unreadable over time, just because they sign their name so much.  Second, if you do a lot of writing, sometimes penmanship can deteriorate just because you do it so much you get into a rush and find it tedious. 

An example would be the stereotype of doctors' handwriting being bad.  Because they have a lot of years of school, and thus have done a lot of writing.  Maybe in the modern age, with laptops and other devices, they don't have to do that much writing, and that stereotype will go away.  

Shatner acting spooked at the end because of the curse was kind of funny.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/9/2020 at 7:10 AM, merylinkid said:

With the border closed, I don't think they are going to get up there this year in enough time to do anything.

At the moment, I think they'd have to show they coming up for essential business. And then have to self-quarantine for 14 days. I know that in Ontario only essential businesses are allowed to be open, but I don't know about the laws in Nova Scotia. And I'm not to sure finding the treasure of Oak Island is "essential".

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

I'm not to sure finding the treasure of Oak Island is "essential".

Well, the WWE got the state of Florida to declare pro wrestling essential, so never say never.

  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 3

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder if Nova Scotia has any occupational health & safety rules or just doesn't bother to enforce them.  You cannot wear dangly necklaces and long loose hair anywhere near drilling equipment in my province.

Edited by deirdra
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/4/2020 at 10:28 AM, AZChristian said:

The pirates then burned and SANK the KTs' ship and closed off the space between the two islands to create the swamp.  They took the KTs out to sea and dumped them there, then sailed off with the treasure.

The pirates must have thrown a couple of the KTs in that hole where the old bones of two European humans were found.  LOL.

Edited by deirdra
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

My theory about the "paved area" is that there was no plywood on OI 100-900 years ago, so people living or visiting there laid stones across the swampy areas so that they didn't constantly get stuck in the muck.  Dropping stones in muck or to make it easier to cross a stream at a place you commonly want to cross has been around as long as humans.  Last summer I visited a log cabin we stayed at ~60 years ago, and the same distinctive rocks I remembered stepping across the creek to grandma's cabin were exactly where I remembered them. A wider paved area would make sense if you were moving a cart, logs, etc. from one island to the other.

I liked the Shakespeare episode better than the finale too.  Shatner was as a Shakespearean actor at Stratford (Ontario) as Christopher Plummer's understudy in the mid 1950s.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I don't usually watch the Drilling Down or recap episodes, but I caught one a few weeks ago.  At the end, Marty sang a version of the Gilligan's Island theme song, but changed the words to be about Oak Island.  I don't remember all the words, but I did think one part was funny:  Instead of "The millionaire and his wife", he sang "The used-to-be millionaire..... and his brother".

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/4/2020 at 12:23 PM, deirdra said:

 A wider paved area would make sense if you were moving a cart, logs, etc. from one island to the other

That's exactly what I think too, it was like a rough cobblestone path to roll carts and maybe they were using it to harvest clay from the swamp.

They could use that clay for all sorts of things.

When I was a child my older sister would grab a little hand tool and bucket, we'd walk to the end of our street and deep into the woods where there was a pond, I'd catch tadpoles and my sister would dig into the edge of the pond about a foot deep until she hit a thick layer of clay and it was wonderful smooth clay... She'd fill her bucket and we'd walk home.

She used it to make bowls, figurines, pots and other cool stuff that she'd paint after it cured and hardened.... She also filled small plastic bags with clay and sold them to a lady in town who did pottery.

Maybe the people on Oak Island did the same thing but on a grander scale.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

They could use that clay for all sorts of things.

Like make containers for ..... TREASURE.   Because that's the only explanation for anything on that Island dontcha know?

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size