Type keyword(s) to search

The Curse Of Oak Island - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Blacksmith Guy:   It's evidence of a large mining operation or  (looks at cue card) tunneling.   

Oh the anomaly is now a tunnel.   Which leads to the moneypit.   Only place it can go, of course.   Proof there is treasure.

This is what bugs me most about this show.    They literally do not entertain any other explantion other than every single find proves there is treasure on the Island.   Not, hey these swages (or whatever they were called) were proof of some large operation, let's follow that up in the records.    Nope, it's "OMG, they were TUNNELLING to the TREASURE."   Every single time.   we found a button.   Cool.   Proof they were here burying treasure.   No it's a freaking button.   Proof someone was here.   That's it.   

Personally I think all the tunnels were built to drain the land so it could be farmed.  the drainage caused the silt to build up between the two islands making them one.   But that is far too mundane an explanation.

I watched with Hubby.    I pointed out the Oak Island tour sign in the war room.   He said it was vintage sign, not a current one.   I told him that no they really do tours of the Island.   He said what is the tour "here's the hole we dug in 2017 and didn't find anything.   Over here is another hole we dug where we didn't find anything."

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Blacksmith Guy:   It's evidence of a large mining operation or  (looks at cue card) tunneling.   

And everybody's heads snap around.

That's quite a jump from the anomaly being a ship to being a tunnel.  Seems like a lot of investment into the ship theory only to have to drop it.  This stuff shows that all the modern technology for finding things underground is not all that great.  I don't know how many times I've seen machines on TV indicate something underground, and then they dig it up and there's nothing there.

Maybe it's good for them to have the Spanish galleon thing debunked.  Because that didn't bode so well for the Templar treasure theory, which would be the most exciting outcome.

• Love 3

Last night I watched what I think is the 2nd episode of this new season. The episode title said it was the new one. But. The episodes are starting to look all the same so I can't tell if it's new or a rerun. It doesn't help that they show so many reruns before the new episode.

The promos for this season showed Marty saying "it's all true".

Um. So far it's lining up to be another series of disappointments. Core samples of dirt, blue clay, ooh ooh... some pebbles in the mix. 

Pebbles aren't doing it for me.

• Love 7
On 11/20/2019 at 7:10 PM, TexasTiffany said:

The promos for this season showed Marty saying "it's all true".

It looks like this last episode (S07, E04:  The Lucky Thirteen) was the source for that clip.  But it was edited.  He said something along the lines of "If we find that tunnel then we'll know, it's all true".

I thought the commercial they ran to promote the show during the episode was interesting.  The voiceover said "When you dig, it's not about what you find, it's about what you're looking for".  Pretty revealing, lol.  They should make that the catchphrase for the show.

The brooch they found was interesting, it had a leaf on it.  Or was it a pine tree?

• Love 3

So they find out that the L shaped structure was a military fortification.    Built JUST like the one at Lewisburg.   Which they glossed quickly over this -- also had "secret" tunnels.   Hmmmmm.  Not a wharf to bring in a treasure ship to make it easier to unload after all.    Amazing.   A perfectly non-treasure related explanation.

Yes, they said the "treasure" was moved from Lewisburg to Oak Island to protect it from the English.   But 1) what proof of any treasure being in Lewisburg was there; 2) what proof of moving was there, that would be in the military records (trust me the military records everything); 3) I HIGHLY doubt the French would hide the treasure on Oak Island only to plant a sign saying when translated into ENGLISH -- 40 feet below is 200 POUNDS.    Think that one through for a minute.

While you are thinking, we now know that the French had a military presence on the Island for years before the Money Pit was found.   No one was going on that Island and digging elaborate tunnels, with booby traps and flood tunnels to hide a treasure with the military sitting right there.   The military doesn't do it either.    They rarely have a lot of money except close to pay day.   Why would they be guarding treasure?

Then there was the iron chisel found.   It went from being called a chisel for stone, to a tunneling tool in about 2 minutes.   Because of course, the only LOGICAL explanation is that it was used to go tunneling all over the island.    Not you know, someone needed a stone foundation or something so hacked up some rocks with it.

Altogether its means literally everything has a plain old non-treasure explanation of -- people lived there.   

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 12/3/2019 at 10:13 PM, merylinkid said:

HIGHLY doubt the French would hide the treasure on Oak Island only to plant a sign saying when translated into ENGLISH -- 40 feet below is 200 POUNDS.    Think that one through for a minute.

Forget the military, I don't know why anyone would plant a sign saying "40 feet below is 200 pounds".  The explanation for the L shaped structure was interesting, although not very detailed.  I guess they were saying it was a barricade that they could fire weapons from behind it?  But what's the purpose and advantage of that particular shape?

As for the chisel, I thought it was kind of silly that they dragged Rick out there to see it.  If it was me, I just would have showed him back at the office when I came in from the field.  Or just called him up and said "Hey, we found a chisel".  Not hey, you better get out here and take a look at this.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, rmontro said:

I guess they were saying it was a barricade that they could fire weapons from behind it?  But what's the purpose and advantage of that particular shape?

Flankng fire.   Which is devastating.   Instead of shooting down the front towards the whole mass, you are basically shooting straight down the line.    

I also wondered who buries a treasure then puts up a huge sign (granted allegedly in code) that says "Hey look TREASURE RIGHT HERE, keep digging."   Of course right after it was allegedly translated, the stone disappeared.    There has been no verification from any reputable source that the translation was even accurate.   

This whole thing is a circle jerk.    One person 200 years ago decided there was treasure on Oak Island.   So he dug and dug and dug.    Then the next guy came along and said "well there must be treasure here, otherwise why would he keep digging."   And so on and so on and so on.    Rick and Marty are just the latest to believe there must be treasure or why was everyone digging.   

• Love 5
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Rick and Marty are just the latest to believe there must be treasure or why was everyone digging.   

Rick believes anyway.  I think Marty is playing along to make the TV show successful.  He sees it as an investment, and the TV is where the money is.

• Love 5
On 12/4/2019 at 7:48 PM, rmontro said:

As for the chisel, I thought it was kind of silly that they dragged Rick out there to see it.  If it was me, I just would have showed him back at the office when I came in from the field.  Or just called him up and said "Hey, we found a chisel".  Not hey, you better get out here and take a look at this.

I agree.... It seems to be a pattern whenever they find anything they call the brothers and make it sound dramatic... I think they must be encouraged to handle everything that way no matter how insignificant by the production staff.

They need to find something better because it's getting boring and a chisel is a chisel... Not very exciting. Lol  🙄

• Love 2

I think the money pit is a ruse. The original Readers Digest article said the three boys found " a depression in the ground under a large oak tree that had a ships pulley hanging from a limb over it! If you had gone to all this trouble to hide something, would you have left that? The planks at 10ft levels were to entice a digger to keep going, which they did. The 90ft stone was more of an enticement to trip the flood system which they hoped would drowned the searchers. While the crew of  laborers were digging that shaft, a few of, the original depositors leaders went off secretly and buried whatever far from the pit. Then when the shaft was done, they killed the workers and buried them in a box in the ruse money pit where the treasure was supposed to go, hence the bones found. They may have left a small amount of treasure to make any diggers think they had found it all.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it, at least till next Tuesday!

I would not search more for treasure till I had found and stopped the flooding first.

Question: After they drained Smith's Cove, did the water level in 10X stop going up and down with the tides? Could they pump 10X dry? Or is there a second flood tunnel they need to find? The whole system had to be dry when they excavated it originally. Get it dry again first!

• Love 3

We finally got our Christmas Tree up.   We have a village under the tree instead of a nativity.   Every year we had a few pieces to the village.  The first year we were together, my then fiance (now hubby) bought some cheap plastic contruction toys at the grocery store.   We put those under the tree and say the village is under construction.    

Somehow, last year we got even more heavy equipment toys.   I didn't know what to do with them this year so I just put them all together on one side under the tree and said "that's Oak Island."

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Somehow, last year we got even more heavy equipment toys.   I didn't know what to do with them this year so I just put them all together on one side under the tree and said "that's Oak Island."

LOVE this!

A string of red lights on the floor could look like the blast charges they use. You'll need 1,274 strands. Throw some chocolate coins on the floor, too.

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 12/17/2019 at 4:46 PM, Zstarch said:

I think the money pit is a ruse. The original Readers Digest article said the three boys found " a depression in the ground under a large oak tree that had a ships pulley hanging from a limb over it! If you had gone to all this trouble to hide something, would you have left that? The planks at 10ft levels were to entice a digger to keep going, which they did. The 90ft stone was more of an enticement to trip the flood system which they hoped would drowned the searchers. While the crew of  laborers were digging that shaft, a few of, the original depositors leaders went off secretly and buried whatever far from the pit.

Interesting theory, as good as any.  Of course, you would think that if something really valuable had been buried on or near the island, they (or someone affiliated with them)  would have come back and got it.  Unless you believe the "they buried it, and then sank at sea" theory.

The problem with this whole thing is that if there isn't any treasure buried, there's no way to prove it.  You could always be just one foot away.  So there's no end to this unless they dig up the entire island.  And even then someone will come up with a theory that they took the treasure to Minnesota, and it all starts over again.

19 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I didn't know what to do with them this year so I just put them all together on one side under the tree and said "that's Oak Island."

Great story.  Maybe they need to start having Oak Island Christmas specials.  

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

In case you need a metal detector action figure under the tree.

army man 1.jpg

Hey, we have one of those.    We put our spare change in a bank we call Fort Knox.   We have Army Men and Navy gunboats guarding it.*    I know we have that guy.   

*Yes Hubby and I are a little silly sometimes.   

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

It occurs to me that this is such a guy thing, this relentless quixotic quest. Playing in the mud with heavy equipment makes it extra special. 

lol exactly, last week i asked hubby if he'd be watching if it was a group of middle aged women digging around, blowing things up etc in search of a possible treasure and he said "probably not, it's a guy thing"

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

It occurs to me that this is such a guy thing, this relentless quixotic quest. Playing in the mud with heavy equipment makes it extra special. 

Interesting idea, I never thought of it that way.  Makes sense, the way they have their little meetings and meet up for adult beverages at the local pub.  Seems kind of like the old lodges or clubs.  Or a Masonic order!  😲

Edited by rmontro
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Oh look they found wood, and more wood.    Which is known to be searchers because shaft 2 was to get to the money pit around the "booby trap flood tunnels."    So, chasing what other people chased.

Oh and the 90 foot stone was not really the 90 foot stone   Because no writing on it.   Although what proof is there that there ever was a stone with writing on it?   And that the stone said what it is was claimed to say.

I see we are back to Templar treasure, after a brief detour to the French and then Spanish Conquistadors.     If you don't even know WHO left treasure, how do you know there is any treasure?

• Love 5
12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Oh and the 90 foot stone was not really the 90 foot stone   Because no writing on it.

They've spent so many episodes on Ducky Island focused on the 90-foot stone and trying to convince us of its authenticity. I shook my head when they recently speculated that what they thought was the 90-foot stone might not be it. LOL

They visited that home (that's now a museum) to see that guy who says he saw the stone from a window. Criminy, they think it might be where the rhododendron is growing. Was anyone else yelling at their TV? "NO, Rick! Don't dig up that beautiful plant!"

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Love 4
On 12/22/2019 at 6:19 PM, rmontro said:

Interesting idea, I never thought of it that way.  Makes sense, the way they have their little meetings and meet up for adult beverages at the local pub.  Seems kind of like the old lodges or clubs.  Or a Masonic order!  😲

Yup.... The "WAR ROOM"  reminds me of little boys in a tree fort. 

"NO GIRLS ALLOWED"  😂

• LOL 6
39 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

"NO GIRLS ALLOWED"  😂

Now that you mention it, there aren't too many females on the show.  There was that one woman who passed away (last season, I think?) who did research for them, I can't remember her name.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:14 PM, rmontro said:

Now that you mention it, there aren't too many females on the show.  There was that one woman who passed away (last season, I think?) who did research for them, I can't remember her name.

I think her name was Zena Halpern? Not sure of the spelling.... Other than that they've had the odd woman here and there in cameo appearances but there's no women in the actual group headed by the Lagina brothers.

There's a blonde lady on the drill rig team and they let her name one of the shafts... that's about it.  🤔

Edited by Joan of Argh
Spelling
  • Love 2

I don't know how many more sections of drilling sample I can watch them slice open to find... WOOD or how many more spikes and nails I can watch Gary get excited about... come on... give us something to sink our teeth into!

and the swamp.... more imaging... more looking... I thought they were gonna drain it and find out once and for all?

oh and now the swamp is from the 1200's... that guy said it was 200-300 yrs old... but now it's suddenly much older.

Don't even get me started on the new theory of messages in paintings when you change the characters around and place the star over nolans cross.... blah, blah... seems like they'll drag in anyone and put them on camera to fill the time.

They need to find something... this is getting ridiculous.... Sorry just had to rant!  😏

• Love 6
On 1/14/2020 at 12:01 AM, Joan of Argh said:

oh and now the swamp is from the 1200's... that guy said it was 200-300 yrs old... but now it's suddenly much older.

It's manmade from the 1200s.   WHY?   Oh and who was living on the Island in the 1200s?   Do we even know.    That's the thing they assume everything is TREASURE because they never bother to look at any history of the Island other than it relates to treasure hunting.   All while saying we want a comprehensive search and to find out the truth.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, merylinkid said:

It's manmade from the 1200s.   WHY?   Oh and who was living on the Island in the 1200s?   Do we even know.    That's the thing they assume everything is TREASURE because they never bother to look at any history of the Island other than it relates to treasure hunting.   All while saying we want a comprehensive search and to find out the truth.

I know, what the hell... Man-made from 1200's..... I had to ask hubby if I heard right.

Maybe the Mi'maq first nations people built the swamp?

If so I wonder why?

It is interesting that the swamp is pyramid shaped, that could very well be symbolic of something.  And it is a masonic symbol.  And if there is actually an eye feature there, that is also interesting.  I don't know what it means, but it's interesting.  I'm also not convinced that they've proven that it's man made either, but it could be.  Doesn't mean there's treasure there.  Maybe there was at one time.

It would be funny if they ended up cancelling the show, and after the cameras stopped rolling, then they end up pulling the Ark of the Covenant out of there, or something else of great value.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 1/16/2020 at 9:24 AM, rmontro said:

It is interesting that the swamp is pyramid shaped, that could very well be symbolic of something.  And it is a masonic symbol.  And if there is actually an eye feature there, that is also interesting.  I don't know what it means, but it's interesting.  I'm also not convinced that they've proven that it's man made either, but it could be.  Doesn't mean there's treasure there.  Maybe there was at one time.

It would be funny if they ended up cancelling the show, and after the cameras stopped rolling, then they end up pulling the Ark of the Covenant out of there, or something else of great value.

I think it's more a case of seeing relationships in the data because you desperately want them to be there.  I know there's a scientific term for this, but I don't know what it is.  

I swear that the picture they flash of the Ark of the Covenant is from the first Indiana Jones movie. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I think it's more a case of seeing relationships in the data because you desperately want them to be there.  I know there's a scientific term for this, but I don't know what it is.  

You might be right that the triangle shaped swamp is merely a coincidence, but I'm certainly not desperate that there be some meaning to it.  I'm not even convinced the swamp is man made, even though the show has pretty much claimed it is.  I'm just saying it's interesting, there may be something to it, there may not be.

I'm sure there might be several reasons to build a triangle shaped swamp, IF it was built.  Doesn't necessarily have to do anything with treasure.  Obviously there were people there in the past, doing something.  I thought the people who presented the case that there was a quasi-military operation there at one time was pretty convincing (the L shaped structure and all).

The Drilling Down episode about Dan Blankenship and Fred Nolan was downright depressing.   Dan Blankenship reads that Reader's Digest article about Oak Island, which admitted not a lick of treasure had yet been found decides to leave a successful construction business and move his family to Oak Island to look for treasure.   Goes broke at one point looking for it, and still spends the rest of his life chasing this illusion.   Fred Nolan came on vacation and just stayed.   And spent the rest of his life looking for something that likely isn't there.   Now their kids are involved in the search too.

Having a dream and following it is one thing.   Giving up your life to follow a legend is another thing.    Everytime I hear about Blankenship's lifelong quest to find treasure, I think "what a waste."   

The Laginas are just the latest in a long line of true believers that have nothing to go on other than someone said there was treasure there.   

• Love 3
12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The Laginas are just the latest in a long line of true believers that have nothing to go on other than someone said there was treasure there.   

The Laginas, or Marty at least, are at least smart enough to defray the cost of treasure hunting with the TV show.

They're painting themselves into a corner here.  If they dig up the swamp and the money pit and don't find anything there, you pretty much have to conclude there's nothing there.  Which is not to say they will conclude that.  Sometimes it seems like the main thing Rick wants to know is exactly who had a presence on the island early on.  Who built the slipway and such?

Some have said the money pit was a well.  The pulley on the branch over it would go along with that, could have been for lowering a bucket into the water.  But why the wooden platforms every 10 feet (or whatever it was)?  And why did they fill it back in?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Sometimes it seems like the main thing Rick wants to know is exactly who had a presence on the island early on.  Who built the slipway and such?

Then that should be easy enough to find by checking records that were NOT left by treasure hunters.   Heck, they had presence of the French military on the Island.   But immediately went to "and they were h iding their treasure from the English."   They don't want to know who was there, they want to know who left treasure.

2 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Some have said the money pit was a well.  The pulley on the branch over it would go along with that, could have been for lowering a bucket into the water.  But why the wooden platforms every 10 feet (or whatever it was)?  And why did they fill it back in?

Contaminated by seawater would be one reason to fill it in.   Those flood tunnels aren't booby traps but naturally occuring water ways.    Why 10 feet platforms, digging the well and never removing them?   Plenty of reasons I am sure that have nothing to do with treasure.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

The Laginas, or Marty at least, are at least smart enough to defray the cost of treasure hunting with the TV show.

exactly.... the others used their own money or investors money and spent almost their entire lives looking for something that might not exist.... a few of them went broke and others lost their lives.... kind of crazy.

what I'm a bit confused about is why did it take them so long to find shaft 2 (i think that's the name of it) since Dan Henskee has known the information for years.... why didn't he share this info earlier?..... supposedly it's gotten them closer to the money pit than ever before.

• Love 2
On 1/22/2020 at 7:24 AM, merylinkid said:

The Drilling Down episode about Dan Blankenship and Fred Nolan was downright depressing.   Dan Blankenship reads that Reader's Digest article about Oak Island, which admitted not a lick of treasure had yet been found decides to leave a successful construction business and move his family to Oak Island to look for treasure.   Goes broke at one point looking for it, and still spends the rest of his life chasing this illusion.   Fred Nolan came on vacation and just stayed.   And spent the rest of his life looking for something that likely isn't there.   Now their kids are involved in the search too.

Having a dream and following it is one thing.   Giving up your life to follow a legend is another thing.    Everytime I hear about Blankenship's lifelong quest to find treasure, I think "what a waste."   

And making your family move with you - without (it seems) much of a say in it.

• Love 3

Not really much going on in the last episode.  They had the hurricane, I guess they figured that was interesting enough to fill the episode, right down to the point of supplying us with local weather reports.  Yawn.

It appeared to me they were digging down in the swamp and found that the "paved walkway" was just some natural stones laying there.  If I was a more cynical person, I would have thought they they used the hurricane as an excuse to flood the swamp again to delay revealing that there's nothing there.  They did find those big stakes though.

• Love 3
On 12/22/2019 at 9:19 PM, rmontro said:

On 1/10/2020 at 3:33 PM, Joan of Argh said:

"NO GIRLS ALLOWED"  😂

On 1/10/2020 at 4:14 PM, rmontro said:

On 1/11/2020 at 8:49 PM, Joan of Argh said:

I think her name was Zena Halpern? Not sure of the spelling.... Other than that they've had the odd woman here and there in cameo appearances but there's no women in the actual group headed by the Lagina brothers.

There's a blonde lady on the drill rig team and they let her name one of the shafts... that's about it.  🤔

I always yell, "Time for another sausage festival!" when they have their no-girls-allowed meetings.  I really think they need a female all up in there as a permanent part of "The Fellowship," to slap them upside the head every once and a while and give them a reality check.  They believe every crackpot that rolls up to the place.  Including, ironically, that Zena lady.  I mean, I'm sorry she's passed, and the boys seemed very fond of her, but she was a big ol' crackpot.

Oh, and the lady on the drill team is Vanessa...or "The Comely Vanessa" as I call her.  

On 1/14/2020 at 12:01 AM, Joan of Argh said:

I don't know how many more sections of drilling sample I can watch them slice open to find... WOOD or how many more spikes and nails I can watch Gary get excited about... come on... give us something to sink our teeth into!

It's more fun if you yell "WE GOT WOOD!" and then giggle like a 12-year-old every time they pull some wood up in a core sample.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 10:20 AM, rmontro said:

You might be right that the triangle shaped swamp is merely a coincidence, but I'm certainly not desperate that there be some meaning to it.  I'm not even convinced the swamp is man made, even though the show has pretty much claimed it is.  I'm just saying it's interesting, there may be something to it, there may not be.

I'm sure there might be several reasons to build a triangle shaped swamp, IF it was built.  Doesn't necessarily have to do anything with treasure.  Obviously there were people there in the past, doing something.  I thought the people who presented the case that there was a quasi-military operation there at one time was pretty convincing (the L shaped structure and all).

Might be as simple as the 2 original islands had a triangle-shaped separation (if the swamp is man-made)..

I agree with others that there is a "boys only" club atmosphere, likely because at least historically it was less likely that a woman could pick up her family and move to Oak Island to go treasure-hunting.  Someone mentioned the woman from the drilling company - I discount her because her company is getting paid for the drilling; she may "talk the talk" about the mystery, but that's at least in part to keep the customer happy. 

Though I haven't watched the show from the beginning, at one point I did watch a large number of older episodes, and to me it seems both Laginas are amping up the "we're interested in the history of the island, what people were doing generally" more recently.  Maybe because they are beginning to realize there's no treasure.....

• Love 3
On 2/3/2020 at 3:16 PM, Mrs peel said:

it seems both Laginas are amping up the "we're interested in the history of the island, what people were doing generally" more recently.  Maybe because they are beginning to realize there's no treasure.....

It's a bit like Al Capone's vault.  I actually enjoyed that show quite a bit because there was a lot about the history of the mob and prohibition.  Back then we didn't have the History Channel or Discovery so you didn't get to see that sort of documentary type program so often.  So I enjoyed it.  But ultimately, there was nothing there.  A bit like Oak Island, I suppose.  The show can be entertaining, but...

• Love 2

It seems a reasonable idea that the French military was active on the island in the 1700s.  That doesn't mean they were burying treasure, but of course the show has to go there, and also suggest that maybe they chose that site because they knew that's where the Knights Templar already had a vault there waiting.  But they've actually done a pretty good job of convincing me that the French military did something there.

Not sure what to think about the "paved area".

• Love 2

They seem to be painting themselves into a corner, now that they're claiming they know the location of the money pit.  I would think next season would see them begin to excavate the money pit?  Seems like they're getting close to the point where they need to find something or admit it's not there.  I'm probably only fooling myself there.

Considering they still command the highest cable ratings on Tuesday nights, there's probably no end in sight. 

They seem to be backtracking on the 90 foot stone also.  Last year, I thought the stone they had found in the bookstore was still considered a candidate, and that the reason the engravings were missing was because they had used it for some process or other in the store that eroded it all away.  Supposedly.

I thought they had ruled out the idea that there was a sunken ship in the swamp also, but they still keep bringing it up.  

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 4
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 5:41 PM, rmontro said:

They seem to be painting themselves into a corner, now that they're claiming they know the location of the money pit.  I would think next season would see them begin to excavate the money pit?  Seems like they're getting close to the point where they need to find something or admit it's not there.  I'm probably only fooling myself there.

Considering they still command the highest cable ratings on Tuesday nights, there's probably no end in sight. 

They seem to be backtracking on the 90 foot stone also.  Last year, I thought the stone they had found in the bookstore was still considered a candidate, and that the reason the engravings were missing was because they had used it for some process or other in the store that eroded it all away.  Supposedly.

I thought they had ruled out the idea that there was a sunken ship in the swamp also, but they still keep bringing it up.  

Yeah, haven't they drained the swamp (ha!) enough to confirm no sunken ship?

Anyone else not convinced at all that the rocks in the "bottom" of the swamp are a road?  They just seem like a bunch of rocks that fell/drifted/whatever to the bottom of water. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mrs peel said:

Yeah, haven't they drained the swamp (ha!) enough to confirm no sunken ship?

I'm going off of my sketchy memory here, but I thought last season they took a core in the area of the "ship shaped anomaly" and they found no wood?

I have mixed feelings on the rocks in the paved area.  I'm skeptical, but I'll be open to their explanation for now.

• Love 2
On 2/12/2020 at 5:41 PM, rmontro said:

Seems like they're getting close to the point where they need to find something or admit it's not there.  I'm probably only fooling myself there.

I thought that was going to happen at the end of season 1.  Or season 2 at the latest.

Talk about fooling yourself. 

• LOL 3
On 2/12/2020 at 3:41 PM, rmontro said:

Ya they're all over the place and it's all starting to sound like BS

You're right the stone they found at the store was still a candidate until *poof* it isn't anymore and now they're digging under the rhododendron at the museum.

And yes the idea of a sunken ship was discarded until *poof* now they're looking for it in the swamp.. Again.

I think the rocks were put there for some reason, maybe as a small dam or something but it doesn't look anything like a path or road.

I had to laugh when Gary's silver object turned out to be lead and not the TREASURE that Marty was so excited about... But of course they just switch gears and now it's a super significant find and could provide valuable information.. Ya right like what???... All they got after testing was an estimate of it being from the 1700's... Wow some hot information there, this will definitely solve everything!

I really hate how they start out saying that an item could be used for this or that but by the next show it's referred to as a Tunneling Tool... They did the same thing with the newly found axe head... By the end of the episode it's for tunneling.

I used to think that Marty's other show with Kevin Dykstra was ridiculous but Curse of oak Island is quickly going in that direction.

Find something already!!!!!!   Lolol. 😂 

• Love 2