Type keyword(s) to search

The Curse Of Oak Island - General Discussion

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, AZChristian said:

There are only two full-time residents of the island itself - and they are Blankenships, who are heavily involved in the search and filming.  From what I see on the Facebook page, those who live across the causeway on the mainland are very pleased with the stimulation of the local economy.  There are boat tours, restaurants, and hotels . . . all run by locals, and profiting from the show and the work being done.  

Ah, I didn't realize that. As long as the locals are happy, the treasure hunt will never end. 

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, Mindthinkr said:

That wasn’t even a joke. There’s a book written on the subject:

Pirates & The Lost Templar Fleet (the secret naval war between the Knights Templar &the Vatican)

by David Hatcher Childress

”When the Templars were disbanded by the Papal order in 1307, their massive fleet disappeared from its base at LaRochelle”. The author maintains hat a portion of the fleet became the first pirates to fly the skull and crossbones and went marauding first through the Mediterranean and later ones that were returning from the rich posts in America. He also claims that the Templars first went to Canada in the year 1398. The Laugina brothers seemed to have based a lot of their show on this book. 

David Childress is one of the main people on Ancient Aliens, and the author of many books that promote all kinds of wild theories. He thinks that aliens are involved in cross-breeding with humans and have been secretly manipulating our history for centuries. He calls himself a "real life Indian Jones" but I could think of other names for him.

• Love 5

It's back!! I was amused that they said they needed to build a new "war room" because of the flood of tourists who were showing up at the original one. Really? Are there that many people now visiting Oak Island? It's such a tiny island, something like six acres, so I'm sure those visitors would be able to find the new location. And because it's so small, it would seem that any amount of visitors would have a major impact.

The big news this week was that the cross wasn't made of lead from North America. I find it incredibly hard to believe that one lab test could establish that as a fact. Really, all lead from North America is so uniform that you can categorically state it's not from North America??? I'm not a scientist, but I have good intuition about people, and that guy who did the test seemed way too eager to tell the Oak Island team what they wanted to hear, and thus ensure his 15 minutes of TV fame.

Only the first episode, and I'm hearing about all kinds of massive news digs and engineering projects. Poor Oak Island. Much of it has already been plowed through and turned upside down. I have this image of the entire island sinking under the weight of all the trucks and cranes that the Laginas are bringing in. (Not to mention the explosives).

• Love 5
2 hours ago, bluepiano said:

It's back!! I was amused that they said they needed to build a new "war room" because of the flood of tourists who were showing up at the original one. Really? Are there that many people now visiting Oak Island? It's such a tiny island, something like six acres, so I'm sure those visitors would be able to find the new location. And because it's so small, it would seem that any amount of visitors would have a major impact.

I'm pretty sure they don't let visitors freely roam the island. They have to be part of a tour group. From video I've seen, and photos, they do seem to get a lot tourists on the island.

https://www.oakislandtours.ca/experience.html

The season premiere wasn't too exciting, but they definitely seem to be stepping up their game with more heavy equipment.

• Love 2

Definitely explosives.   Must have explosives.   Because the way to look for artifacts and preserve the history of the area  as the Canadian government has required is to blow things up.

The "cross" not being from North America is not a huge revelation.   We've already established that sailors have hit the island (along with apparently anyone with a treasure or a secret).   Naturally they would have personal items that might get left on the island.   But as hubby said "if a bear shits in the woods on Oak Island what does it mean?"   My response "Proof there is buried treasure there."

• Love 6

I am trying to figure out where all the money is coming from ? Granted, they get some from the show. I know Rick is a retired postal worker, does he even have a family of his own ? Did Marty start this venture to keep Rick off the bottle ? ( never see him drink when they are at the pub ) Not saying he has/had an issue - it just seems weird , I guess this was a childhood dream of Rick or was it both ? I should have aspired more in my youth as my childhood dream was to become Mrs Shaun Cassidy... pfft

• Love 4
18 hours ago, bluepiano said:

The big news this week was that the cross wasn't made of lead from North America. I find it incredibly hard to believe that one lab test could establish that as a fact. Really, all lead from North America is so uniform that you can categorically state it's not from North America??? I'm not a scientist, but I have good intuition about people, and that guy who did the test seemed way too eager to tell the Oak Island team what they wanted to hear, and thus ensure his 15 minutes of TV fame.

Only the first episode, and I'm hearing about all kinds of massive news digs and engineering projects. Poor Oak Island. Much of it has already been plowed through and turned upside down. I have this image of the entire island sinking under the weight of all the trucks and cranes that the Laginas are bringing in. (Not to mention the explosives).

Yeah, I hate to see all of the unexplored areas torn down. Hadn't they had all complained about one of the earlier searchers had literally just gone in and bulldozed the area with little regard to the outcome?  I'm not seeing much difference between that and what they're doing now. Maybe editing issues? The lead testing results seemed a little off to me too.  A little too definitive too quickly. Did they mention the possible age of the cross? I was waiting to hear that and may have missed it. Does anyone else think that Laird (the archeologist) doesn't seem to say much? He appears to get steamrolled by all of the alpha dogs running around. On a completely superficial note-the big blond from the explosive company was pretty cute. I loved that accent too.    

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mybuddyspence said:

Does anyone else think that Laird (the archeologist) doesn't seem to say much? He appears to get steamrolled by all of the alpha dogs running around. On a completely superficial note-the big blond from the explosive company was pretty cute. I loved that accent too.    

Gary Dayton seems to be just as knowledgeable as Laird when it comes to anything that is dug up. Laird doesn’t seem very sure of himself, and I get the feeling that he is in over his head. What I am wondering is why they had to ask whether they can remove the moss from stones, but they also cut down a whole bunch of trees and made that huge cofferdam. Wouldn’tthe Canadian government had a problem with those drastic measures?

As for the big blonde, he sure caught my attention too. ;-)

• Love 2
20 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I'm pretty sure they don't let visitors freely roam the island. They have to be part of a tour group. From video I've seen, and photos, they do seem to get a lot tourists on the island.

So then I guess the tour goes to "the original war room," and the Laginas et. al. can come and go from the new war room without hindrance. Though I bet the people on the tour are bummed. Maybe they need to create animatronic figures of Rick and Marty, like at Disneyworld.

3 hours ago, mybuddyspence said:

Yeah, I hate to see all of the unexplored areas torn down. Hadn't they had all complained about one of the earlier searchers had literally just gone in and bulldozed the area with little regard to the outcome?  I'm not seeing much difference between that and what they're doing now.

That was my thought exactly. I can't remember his name, but there was a guy who, according to Rick and Marty did wholesale bulldozing and wreaked havoc on the island. They've made derogatory comments about him, and talked about how they are more cautious and respectful towards the island. But my impression from this first episode is that they're saying, okay, now we're not fooling. After all this time and money we're going to get a definitive answer, even if means leaving a smoldering ruin in our wake.

Laird, the archaeologist required by the Canadian government, has a very limited role. His authority only comes into play regarding artifacts that might have historical or cultural significance, for example, things associated with the First Nations. He's not there to prevent the ecological devastation of the island. As it's privately owned, I think the land owners can pretty much do whatever they want, maybe short of sinking it into the sea.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, bluepiano said:

So then I guess the tour goes to "the original war room," and the Laginas et. al. can come and go from the new war room without hindrance. Though I bet the people on the tour are bummed. Maybe they need to create animatronic figures of Rick and Marty, like at Disneyworld.

That was my thought exactly. I can't remember his name, but there was a guy who, according to Rick and Marty did wholesale bulldozing and wreaked havoc on the island. They've made derogatory comments about him, and talked about how they are more cautious and respectful towards the island. But my impression from this first episode is that they're saying, okay, now we're not fooling. After all this time and money we're going to get a definitive answer, even if means leaving a smoldering ruin in our wake.

Laird, the archaeologist required by the Canadian government, has a very limited role. His authority only comes into play regarding artifacts that might have historical or cultural significance, for example, things associated with the First Nations. He's not there to prevent the ecological devastation of the island. As it's privately owned, I think the land owners can pretty much do whatever they want, maybe short of sinking it into the sea.

Lol at the animatronic figures image! Gotta say that Rick seems pretty robotic and I was surprised when he became teary. That was really an uncomfortable moment for all of those guys and I wouldn't describe what they're doing as "life changing". I wonder if that was a producer motivated move.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I am trying to figure out where all the money is coming from ? Granted, they get some from the show. I know Rick is a retired postal worker, does he even have a family of his own ? Did Marty start this venture to keep Rick off the bottle ? ( never see him drink when they are at the pub ) Not saying he has/had an issue - it just seems weird , I guess this was a childhood dream of Rick or was it both ? I should have aspired more in my youth as my childhood dream was to become Mrs Shaun Cassidy... pfft

I wonder about Rick too. He's never mentioned having a family and I get the impression that Marty worries about his obsession with the whole treasure hunting premise. I think the idea has always been Rick's. Marty seems to have started a family and has other business pursuits. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, mybuddyspence said:

Lol at the animatronic figures image! Gotta say that Rick seems pretty robotic and I was surprised when he became teary. That was really an uncomfortable moment for all of those guys and I wouldn't describe what they're doing as "life changing". I wonder if that was a producer motivated move.

19 hours ago, mybuddyspence said:

I wonder about Rick too. He's never mentioned having a family and I get the impression that Marty worries about his obsession with the whole treasure hunting premise. I think the idea has always been Rick's. Marty seems to have started a family and has other business pursuits. 

For me, the human drama on this show has often been more interesting than the (often questionable) treasure hunting. I believe this whole thing has been driven by Rick's obsession. Marty seems very devoted to and protective of his older brother, and to some extent seems to have entered into this because he knows how much it means to him.  This may sound like stereotyping, but I have known a couple of postal employees who were very bright but kind of lost souls, never got married or had a family, just worked at the post office to pay their bills. So maybe all those years at the post office Rick kept obsessing about the story of the Oak Island treasure he read about as a boy.

If Marty (a successful businessman with a family) got into this out of love for Rick, I guess it all worked out, because I'm sure they've both made tons of money from this show, which I have read is the highest rated program on the History Channel. And as someone who lived in Michigan for about 10 years, I'm glad to see both these "local boys" making good.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6

Does anyone think there will come a time when somebody informs them they're not digging in Smiths Cove? It really annoys me! they talk about it so much every episode, but they're in Sheerdam Cove! Smiths Cove is opposite the swamp.

• Love 2

Also the supposition that the age of an item tells you when it was lost is spurious at best, if Marty drops the broach in the car park of the Alberta College of Art and Design, nobody finding it would assume that someone from the 14th century had recently parked their car there! Things, especially jewellery is often passed from generation to generation, a 14th century heirloom could easily be dropped by someone from any period. Still, they have to keep the story going I suppose. 

• Love 9

Also a brooch does not mean someone stopped by to drop off buried treasure.   It means someone with a brooch once stopped on the Island and possibly lost it.

I've said it before -- too much soup from one oyster.   They find one little thing and build whole theories on it.   

• Love 9
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:29 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Anybody else so sick and tired of hearing about "the little lead cross" they found with the metal detector? Whoopty doo,  find sometime more of significant substance.

Well now they have their broach, with a glass ":ruby" and a gold plated mounting. And they are calling this the first official piece of "treasure" and first gold found on Oak Island and claiming it has huge significance. Ever the optimists, I guess. Because when I hear about buried treasure I think gold bullion or gold coins, not gold plating.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5
On November 15, 2018 at 1:19 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

They should have done the seismic study first , the better cofferdam design hopefully will help out.  They definitely need to seal off any of the openings of those flood shafts to keep water out of their sites that are possible honey holes.

I agree with you about the seismic study and the cofferdam.   It's possible they didn't do them sooner because of the cost.   It's worth mentioning that the seismic testing is a far cry from "blowing things up."   They're not blowing up anything.   They're also not bulldozing the island like an earlier searcher did.   That guy (forgot his name) dug deep and displaced artifacts with the bulldozer.   Rick and Marty cleared trees, shrubs and brush (which will grow back) so Gary could swing his metal detector.   

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 6

Was it Fred Nolan who did all the bulldozing?   About Rick and Marty doing the clearing of trees,shrubs and brush with a bulldozer , there's a more precise way of doing that (clearing underbrush without taking down all the trees that have been there 40 years or more) , instead of blading everything off and leaving a muddy mess and craters where the big trees were. Besides that, it will disturb anything that's possibly buried less than a foot down. Guess we will see what they actually do in the upcoming episode. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Was it Fred Nolan who did all the bulldozing?   About Rick and Marty doing the clearing of trees,shrubs and brush with a bulldozer , there's a more precise way of doing that (clearing underbrush without taking down all the trees that have been there 40 years or more) , instead of blading everything off and leaving a muddy mess and craters where the big trees were. Besides that, it will disturb anything that's possibly buried less than a foot down. Guess we will see what they actually do in the upcoming episode. 

It wasn't Fred Nolan but I don't remember the guy's name.  Nolan was the one who surveyed the island and left maps with his son.   He also found Nolan's cross which we haven't  heard about for a while.

When they were metal detecting Lot 21 last week the trees were still there but much of the brush had been removed.   

34 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I don’t think that they care anymore about OI other than the treasure that is supposed to be hidden there. It’s beginning to smack of strip mining. 

I don't agree.   I think they've been careful about where they dig and especially so because it's being filmed.   They have to get permits for everything.  The digging is confined to the area around 10x and the money pit.    They worked in the swamp but didn't dig it up.  Now they're going  to dig inside the cofferdam but that sand will refill itself once they're finished and they remove the wall.  

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 4

Well @AnnA I hope you are right. I don’t think of them as bad guys, but people will do funny things when they get desperate. I really would like to see them come up with a substantial treasure. They’ve devoted their lives to it (as well as a large sum of money). 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Well @AnnA I hope you are right. I don’t think of them as bad guys, but people will do funny things when they get desperate. I really would like to see them come up with a substantial treasure. They’ve devoted their lives to it (as well as a large sum of money). 

I hope so too!   I was surprised to hear them say they've been on Oak Island for a dozen years.    I assumed they started around the time the show premiered.  That was six years ago so they were there for six years before we knew about it.   I'd really like them to be able to put the story together and I'd love for them to find something before Dan passes away.

• Love 4

I watch mainly for the science of drilling, lab results, etc. and have been saying since Season 1 that they should have started with a seismic survey to locate potential targets and avoid traps.  

The lead may not be from North America (or more precisely, not from one of the 8 mines from which Macfarlane has standards), but as common water-proofing/seam-sealer on ships, it could have washed ashore from one of the numerous shipwrecks in the Atlantic and been shaped into a cross at any time thereafter.  I remember tripping hippies on Cape Cod in the 1960s & 70s selling all sorts of crafts, like Celtic, anhk and other crosses that they made from stuff they found on the beach.

Gotta love how the second bobby dazzler was made of glass, not garnet.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I don’t think that they care anymore about OI other than the treasure that is supposed to be hidden there. It’s beginning to smack of strip mining. 

I could have sworn I saw a clip from a future episode where it looked like the area had been totally stripped of trees and underbrush.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I could have sworn I saw a clip from a future episode where it looked like the area had been totally stripped of trees and underbrush.

Do you know what area it was?    The area around the money pit and 10x was cleared.  That's where they did the seismic testing.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1

So the latest "bobby dazzler" turns out to be glass.   Oh darn.   

But wait, that totally means the Rosicrucians were there.   Because -- red stone ALWAYS means Rosicrucians, right?   It was some sort of initiation pin or something.    Rosicrucians = Treasure on OAK ISLAND.    Completely logical and sound reasoning.

What it CANNOT be under any circumstances is someone couldn't afford a REAL garnet pin so got what we call costume jewelry.   Then sadly lost their pretty piece.   Cannot be some ordinary explanation like that.   Nope.   No way.   No how.

Let's talk coffer dam -- which was tried before.   But this tgime it will totally work because ... reasons.

• Love 2
On 11/15/2018 at 5:58 PM, bluepiano said:

Ha, I got a picture in my head of them building a track all around Oak Island and having people take the "bobby dazzler" roller coaster/log flume tour 

image.png.4e1f6ce0ddc244d326bddf7f59263fb0.png

• Love 8

I follow a lot of the Oak Island stuff on Facebook.  Almost everyone on that group who has visited OI has had their pictures taken with Rick, Gary, and anyone else in the area.  I didn't get the feeling that the guys were hiding out.  It's just easier to record for the show when they can control the environment.

• Love 4

Close friend they have known all of 2 years passes, moment of sadness in War Room.   Then load up and head to her house to raid her research of 50 years.   "Because it belongs on Oak Island."   No it doesn't.   It belongs wherever her heirs want it.   Oh and let's "randomly" pick a book off a shelf, and lo and behold, there's a cipher inside.   Did you see the color of the paper the cipher was on versus the color of the pages of book?   Uh-huh.   

They are going to tease the cofferdam all damn season aren't they?

• Love 1

looked like a nice mobile home/house they just loaded, although why not just get an empty one - without the kitchen already built in ? So now they will have researchers come ? So basically anyone willing to volunteer their time to do the research for the Lagina's is welcome ?  I would think if you are really into this type of thing, you wouldn't just be up there for 1 day - maybe at least a week right ? So where would you overnight ? I assume the hotel is on you.  

• Love 1

It was a donated prefab home so I doubt they had any input on the interior.  I didn't notice any appliances in the kitchen so it's probably not functional.

I believe that they won't let just any "researcher" come use that facility and access the materials left by Mrs. Halpern and I'm assuming whoever does get to use it will be accompanied/supervised by someone from the "team."   And of course they would have to pay for their own hotel.   Why wouldn't they?

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, AnnA said:

It was a donated prefab home so I doubt they had any input on the interior.  I didn't notice any appliances in the kitchen so it's probably not functional.

I believe that they won't let just any "researcher" come use that facility and access the materials left by Mrs. Halpern and I'm assuming whoever does get to use it will be accompanied/supervised by someone from the "team."   And of course they would have to pay for their own hotel.   Why wouldn't they?

Because the research only will benefit the Lagina's and their partners financially - i doubt any researcher is going to get a piece of the pie

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Because the research only will benefit the Lagina's and their partners financially - i doubt any researcher is going to get a piece of the pie

It depends on what kind of pie they want to eat. They might want camera time, a credit or a first look at what’s found. 

• Love 4
On 12/12/2018 at 5:28 PM, Mindthinkr said:

or a first look at what’s found

Which if it's the Holy Grail would be pretty special.   Honestly, I have more faith that Indiana Jones found it in a cave at Petra than that the Laginas will find anything of value. 

The real curse of Oak Island isn't that a 7th man needs to die, it's that you'll go broke (and a little nuts) looking for treasure that isn't there.  

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 4

I used to like this show, despite the frequent piling of one unsubstantiated theory on top of another. But this season, I turn on a new episode and within minutes find my attention wandering. Maybe it's all gone on for too long with too little to show for the effort. Mostly they just find random objects which show that over the centuries a lot of people have come and gone on the island, but nothing that supports a coherent narrative of buried treasure.

I'm guessing that the pushing of the Knights Templar/Holy Grail angle is an indication that they never find anything, because they've started saying that it's a "hunt for knowledge" as much as for treasure. But we've seen all this warmed over Da Vinci Code stuff on other History Channel shows, and the wild speculation and cheesy historical recreations are a reminder that "Curse of Oak Island" is produced by the same company that gives us "Ancient Aliens." They even use the same narrator, who always says "What if...." before launching into yet another contrived theory.

I also don't get why they're now doing things that they say will offer "conclusive" evidence one way or another. If you had the ability to find out something conclusive, why wouldn't you have done that in the first place? It makes me wonder if the Laginas and their cohorts ever really had a logical plan, or if it's always been an exercise in grasping at straws. (With the sudden emphasis on Zena Halperin's shaky historical research maybe the biggest grasp of all.)

• Love 3

I don't know what the ratings are so far this season, but I have to whole heartly agree that people are really sick and tired of  wasting their time hearing about a old piece of pendant, rusty hardware, a lead cross , etc... . Find the damn flood tunnels at Smith's Cove clear them out, send a camera down into them, find out where the shafts are and gps their location. 

• Love 6
On 11/25/2018 at 12:42 PM, bluepiano said:

Well now they have their broach, with a glass ":ruby" and a gold plated mounting. And they are calling this the first official piece of "treasure" and first gold found on Oak Island and claiming it has huge significance. Ever the optimists, I guess. Because when I hear about buried treasure I think gold bullion or gold coins, not gold plating.

Yep, their expert said their discovered "ruby" was really glass. Then, went on to spin it like it was worth more being glass. What if they do find a treasure chest but it's filled with gold-plated glass-rhinestone jewelry? I doubt the Lagina group will find that more valuable.

I saw the part where the new cofferdam has some leaking. We're told it cost over a million dollars. The company representative who installed the thing tells Rick that he needs to get some caulk to fill in those leaking spots. Really!?! Rick should tell that guy to get his own butt on the scene and fill in those leaks. A million dollars doesn't get you some follow-up caulk? 

• Love 5
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:53 PM, TexasTiffany said:

Really!?! Rick should tell that guy to get his own butt on the scene and fill in those leaks. A million dollars doesn't get you some follow-up caulk? 

Maybe this is to set up an exciting expedition by Rick and the team to Home Depot to buy caulk. The way they've been padding out the shows this season, that could be could be good for 15 minutes of air time. Even more if they can find a "researcher" who believes there's a connection between Home Depot and the Knights Templar. 

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, bluepiano said:

Maybe this is to set up an exciting expedition by Rick and the team to Home Depot to buy caulk. The way they've been padding out the shows this season, that could be could be good for 15 minutes of air time. Even more if they can find a "researcher" who believes there's a connection between Home Depot and the Knights Templar. 

LOL

Home Depot should be one of their favorite places: nails, spikes, hinges, wood, bobby-dazzler gold-plated glass door knobs.

(I snark at them but still want them to find something great.)

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Love 3

These poor guys. When that drill hit granite when they were expecting a chamber, and when their engineering spectacle started springing leaks, I felt so bad for them. Luckily I had hunky astrophysicist Dr. Taylor to keep me entertained while they searched for Templars under every rock. I am not sure I buy his astronomical map theory, but I sure liked watching him pitch it.

Edited by gardendiva
  • Love 2

The new season has just aired tonight in the U.K, despite it being so damn frustrating I absolutely love it, the only problem is knowing that if they had discovered any treasure it would have been all over the news in the summer, I’ll still be hooked all season though.

• Love 2

Anyone else wonder if the guy who does the voice-overs gets sick of the dopey questions he continually has to ask? Or answers them the way I do while shouting at my TV? "Could it have been left behind by pirates who robbed the Templars and also stole Marie Antoinette's jewels and decided to bury it all across the ocean on Oak Island???"  Well, yeah, it COULD have been - but odds are strongly against it. 

• Love 4