Type keyword(s) to search

The Curse Of Oak Island - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was wasting time today look up lost treasures and the Oak Island treasure appears on a few lists. The one that caught my eye was this one

http://britainexplorer.com/top-ten-lost-treasures-of-the-world/

It  had a list of the things that have been thought to have been buried on Oak Island.

Various theories pertaining to the contents of the Oak Island Money Pit include:

– Captain Kidd’s Treasure – Blackbeard’s Treasure – The Fortress of Louisbourg Treasury – The Missing Jewels of Marie Antoinette – Spanish Gold from a Shipwreck – The Treasure of the Knights Templar – Treasure of the Freemasons – A Storage Pit for Walrus Ivory – Documents of Sir Francis Bacon

So, I think we might be in for a few more theories on what could be buried on the island.

I haven't ever heard of the Fortress of Louisbourg Treasury or the Walrus Ivory, which frankly sounds ridiculous. I will have to do more googleing

• Love 2
On 12/15/2016 at 5:51 PM, margol29 said:

There is a book that has a very similar story written by the team of Preston and Child. http://www.prestonchild.com/books/riptide/

I've read their books and agreed there are certain similarities, except in the P and C's books you find lots of treasures. The Indian burial site in Still Life with Crows for example.  Those authors do research. Perhaps we should sic them onto Oak Island and see what they come up with. (Lol...maybe Constance saw what treasures they buried where) 

• Love 1

No, *I'm* perpetually twelve, because when they said they had found the Headon Shaft, [say it out loud] I piped right up, "But the balls still remain elusive!"  And then my sweetie and I laughed and laughed...and high-fived, because he is twelve, too.

• Love 3

They found some round wood! I thought that was the shape trees came in, but I must be mistaken, because they were very impressed.

I couldn't believe they didn't dig over the big rocks, if its a drain it has to go to the shore as well right? They had a whole area to dig up and only dug one pit and gave up! Typical. I guess next season we will see them digging there again.

• Love 2

I've been gone for awhile dealing with a health problem which left me little patience to deal with their pseudo science, pseudo archaeology, and magic thinking. 

Boy they sure are setting up for the next season aren't they? After all there are only 2 more episodes scheduled for this season and they have to leave some sort of cliffhanger.  How come they waited until now to bring in the Little Mash guy and pray tell how did anyone create a foot shaped void 231 down in the 1700's and leave no trace of digging that big of hole to make or get down to that void?   It seems the longer this show goes the the weaker touch with reality their guest conspiracist has.  I thought Zena Halpern was bad.  I checked there are over 300 islands in that bay so they can do a lot of Island hopping if they want to find seven more pieces of the puzzle. 

First all that bit about the mystic number 7-a seven day work week is based on the Christian Bible not the other way around and the 7 day week probably has even older origins that influenced the Hebrews.  Other societies had other ways of breaking up the calendar before the spread of European influences. They also have different mystical numbers and I suspect all numbers are believed to have a mystic connection especially the prime ones,,   As for the 7 must die, perhaps they need to find a crew member to push in the hole so they can finally find the treasure  If it is as big as they claim sometime it would be more than they could ever make from the show. Or perhaps one of the Lagina Brothers will volunteer to jump.

Second if it was a Templar treasure, a Roman Catholic group, what do you want to bet that in the 12th century anything would have been in Latin not French, heck the Church was still using Latin when I was a kid.  However since French is a romance language they would share some similar words but so would any other romance language, even English has words that have a Latin beginning.  If they are doing a pure substitution code, it seems then they should be able to translate all of the document, not only bits and pieces.  If they can'd translate all of it, they don't have the right key. 

Third why have an elaborate tunnel system if you are going to bury the gold in a shallow place in another place.  Wouldn't it make more sense to put the clues shallow and the treasure deep?

Finally box drains and coconut fibers could be a way of gathering salt, a needed resource. And just perhaps early settlers could have set up a filter of gravel, and fiber filters to protect the tide from making their drinking water brackish and all the 'money pit' is is just a well and and a hoax.

May I recommend two sites http://www.criticalenquiry.org/oakisland/Dennis_King_Mar_2010.shtml  and http://www.jasoncolavito.com/apps/search?q=oak+island   

• Love 3
6 hours ago, speac said:

First all that bit about the mystic number 7

Oh god I forgot that tidbit.   Did you know 7 is the number of arms in a Jewish Menorah.   Except you know Hannukah is celebrated for EIGHT DAYS you twit.    Yes, there is a central piece, but that is arm too.   There are EIGHT candles.   Seriously.   The complete misinformation and deliberate distortations annoy me even more than the "theory of the week."

• Love 2
10 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Oh god I forgot that tidbit.   Did you know 7 is the number of arms in a Jewish Menorah.   Except you know Hannukah is celebrated for EIGHT DAYS you twit.    Yes, there is a central piece, but that is arm too.   There are EIGHT candles.   Seriously.   The complete misinformation and deliberate distortations annoy me even more than the "theory of the week."

I am Jewish and I was like "am I wrong" It's eight nights of Hanukkah right? There are 9 candles, but one is the shamash which lights the rest of the candles. So eight nights plus one for lighting. 9 total!!

Of course the one in ancient times had 7 candles, but they need to be more precise and state that before they make everyone confused

On 2/8/2017 at 3:25 PM, speac said:

inally box drains and coconut fibers could be a way of gathering salt, a needed resource. And just perhaps early settlers could have set up a filter of gravel, and fiber filters to protect the tide from making their drinking water brackish and all the 'money pit' is is

Coconuts? Were they carried by African or European swallows?

Couldn't resist:

Hey, Laginas...yooo hooo...Shiny Object!

• Love 3

One of the Langinas (after 4 years still can't tell them apart):   We have to look at this objectively and decide what it means.

Me:   Not once have been objective about anything related to that Island.

Everything has a mundane explanation but they can't accept it.  

1.   british military button -- OakIslander:   proof that the British either hid treasure or were looking for it.   Me:  Hmmm wonder if they had troops stationed there on garrison duty?

2.   Sail needle -- OI:  a ship carrying valuable cargo stopped here.   Me:  Every ship had sail needles because, you know, they needed to sew up sails if they got damaged, even simple fishing vessels.

3.   Metal object  -- OI: used to make treasure chests.   Me:  or any kind of chests back then.

and my personal favorite:

4.   the hatch -- OI:   must cover a hole dug to hide treasure.   Me:   It's a damn root cellar.

Because someone once thought there was treasure there, they have spent millions of dollars digging up the countryside, putting holes everywhere with not one shred of proof that there is actually treasure.   Everything is guesswork with no solid evidence to back it up.   Do they really objectively look at anything?   Nope, they jsut believe every story and every object found is further proof.     This has to be the longest running con in history.   The Langinas want to find out the truth.   It's staring them right in the face, they refuse to accept it.   There's nothing there.

At this point I watch to see how stupid they can be each week.   And yes, I'll be back next year.

• Love 5

I just recently discovered this show and have been binge watching on-demand. Viewing this way, I've discovered that I can skip around within a season, or even from season to season, and not miss anything. Because nothing ever really happens. Whatever episode you watch, they're digging one hole or another, finding one piece of wood or another, or listening to one far-fetched theory or another. It all blurs together.

I'm enjoying reading this forum and seeing that it's not just me who finds the whole thing an exercise in faulty logic and circular reasoning. "Because someone went to the trouble to bury a vault 150 feet down and build multiple booby traps means that whatever's down there must be fabulously valuable." Except there is no actual evidence that anyone did any of those things. And of course, if someone did bury a fabulous treasure, they would install a plaque saying "hey, you who are trying to steal our treasure, you're on the right track. Keep digging."

And how, if the Laginas and their partners with all kinds of machinery and modern technology can't get 150 feet below the surface, would a bunch of 17th century pirates (or whoever) have done it with picks and shovels. And why?  There's no reason to bury anything more than 10 feet below ground, since you're on an obscure tiny island off the coast of Nova Scotia. This show makes it sound like Oak Island is Times Square, with thousands of visitors passing through daily.

All that said, I do enjoy the show, because I like the idea of a quest, and I think that the personalities involved are generally likeable, unlike many reality shows. The relationship between the Lagina brothers is interesting. Even though Marty is the younger one, he really acts like the older brother, and is incredibly indulgent of his sibling. Rick Lagina is kind of a lost soul. They've never mentioned his having a family, and I think that he occupied  himself with fantasies of buried treasure to keep from being bored with his post office job. Year ago I had a friend who was very intelligent but also kind of a lost soul dreamer. He was a career post office employee too.

Has anyone commented that this show is produced by Prometheus Entertainment, who also do "Ancient Aliens"? And I'm almost positive that the eternally astonished narrator on "Curse of Oak Island" is the same narrator on AA. "Could it be that blah blah blah? Ancient astronaut theorists says yes."

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, bluepiano said:

All that said, I do enjoy the show, because I like the idea of a quest,

ITA with everything you pointed out.  The 'quest' was what got me interested back in the first season, but as the years have gone on and it's continually wash, rinse, repeat, I've gotten bored.   At least we didn't have any totally off-the-rails emergency visits to Scotland or fake Roman swords this season. (Interpreting random scratches in rocks as being significant and meaningful is par for the course on this show and don't count.) Marty is a very indulgent brother and I wonder how much of his own money is actually supporting the excavation or is it all History channel money at this point.

• Love 3

Don't forget about Craig Tester.  He's shown as an "investor."

A quick Google search indicates that Rick (older brother, retired postal worker) is worth about $500,000.  Marty (owner of a winery) is worth about $2,000,000 - as is Craig (Marty's former college roommate).

I always thought investors put their money into projects with a good chance of payback.  Unless these guys are using OI as a tax dodge (can they do that since it's in Canada?), putting more money into the money pit and/or the swamp makes no sense to me.

But I really enjoy the show anyway.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

putting more money into the money pit and/or the swamp makes no sense to me.

There's a really good analogy about money management there.

Honestly, they either 1) have gold fever or 2) started with just seeing what would happen, figuring they could do the tourist angle and now HC is paying so its not their money.   Or a combination thereof.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, AZChristian said:

A quick Google search indicates that Rick (older brother, retired postal worker) is worth about $500,000.  Marty (owner of a winery) is worth about $2,000,000 - as is Craig (Marty's former college roommate).

I always thought investors put their money into projects with a good chance of payback.  Unless these guys are using OI as a tax dodge (can they do that since it's in Canada?), putting more money into the money pit and/or the swamp makes no sense to me.

I'm always skeptical about online figures for peoples' net worth, because it seems to me that's not public information. But my impression was that Marty was worth much more than a couple of million. He was previously in oil and gas exploration, and if you're successful in that business there's mega big bucks to be made. He lives in Traverse City, where there are some quite rich folks with beautiful houses along the bay. (TC is also home turf for Michael Moore).

Marty's son strikes me as a nice enough kid but a bit of a pampered prince. You generally see him just standing around, or driving a car when they go somewhere. Contrast that with Craig Tester's stepson Jack, who usually gets the dirtiest and least glamorous jobs, like digging (or rummaging with his hands) through the debris field.

My supposition is that the History Channel, along with Prometheus Productions, is bankrolling the digging operations. They're not going to take a chance on losing one of their highest rated shows because the Laginas "and their partners" (as the narrator says) balk at sinking more of their own funds into something with little realistic change of financial pay back.

Actually, the corporation they formed to buy up most of the island is called something like "Oak Harbor Tourism," though it seems to me that the opportunities to make money off tourism are limited, even should they make a significant discovery. It's not the easiest place to get to, and because of weather considerations that area of Nova Scotia has a short tourist season.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, bluepiano said:

My supposition is that the History Channel, along with Prometheus Productions, is bankrolling the digging operations. They're not going to take a chance on losing one of their highest rated shows because the Laginas "and their partners" (as the narrator says) balk at sinking more of their own funds into something with little realistic change of financial pay back.

This is my take on it as well.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, gunderda said:

did they give any ideas of what those metal pieces were from?? except for the 'corner piece' they said was used on chests.

They didn't know, so they were going to have them tested. Apparently on the next episode, they will reveal their findings. I was actually pretty intrigued by what they pulled up, because that should not be 170 feet below ground. I think they dug an entirely new hole where they found the wood and metal, so it doesn't really make sense for it to be left over from another searcher hole. The galleon spike was also interesting, although there could be a few ways that could have ended up in the swamp that doesn't involve a ship being sunk there. Even if there isn't treasure on the island, it definitely seems to be rich in history.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, pezgirl7 said:

They didn't know, so they were going to have them tested. Apparently on the next episode, they will reveal their findings. I was actually pretty intrigued by what they pulled up, because that should not be 170 feet below ground. I think they dug an entirely new hole where they found the wood and metal, so it doesn't really make sense for it to be left over from another searcher hole. The galleon spike was also interesting, although there could be a few ways that could have ended up in the swamp that doesn't involve a ship being sunk there. Even if there isn't treasure on the island, it definitely seems to be rich in history.

I don't quite believe the whole "hidden ship" either.  Because if the water was deep enough in that area for a ship move around in, how would they organize rocks/boulders in that deep of water to create the dam to block it in? Or can large ships float in fairly shallow water? But then the water would have to be deep enough to sink the ship....  it doesn't make sense!

• Love 3

Shipwreck.

I'm also interested in the metal that was found so deep. But once again, as soon as they find something pretty cool, they stop and close up shop. I'd be demanding History be paying for a ginormous diameter pipe to be hammered down into that hole so that the big claw bit can go back down.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

I'd be demanding History be paying for a ginormous diameter pipe to be hammered down into that hole so that the big claw bit can go back down

I wonder how long it will be before there's nothing left of the damn island except water-filled holes and heaps of rubble.

• Love 4

If y'all go over to Reddit (sorry I can't post clickable links) there's a fellow named Meyerhead and he writes the funniest parodies of these episodes every week. Sometimes he has me howling with laughter and is spot on with his assessments. 

Sometimes this is so bad it is so good! 

• Love 1
On 10/17/2017 at 6:35 AM, merylinkid said:

I am giddy.     No really I am.    Stupid annoying show -- and I wouldn't miss a minute of it.

The new ads sound like they've found something. Of course, the show ads last season implied the same thing. I'm not holding my breath.

I'm going to tune in this season, too. See if the brothers change their shirts from one talking head segment to another. Hear in the promo how they've decided to dig over yonder, hear it again before the episode starts, hear it again before the 1st 2nd and 3rd commercial breaks, hear it again just before they show the clip where they actually say it, and see it again next week in the rerun before the new episode. 

History repeats itself but the History Channel goes over the top. Every week. 

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Love 6

OMG, a "hooked cross." As soon as I heard that, I got scared they were going to send for Scott Wolter. And sure enough, the narrator cited him as foremost among the "researchers and scientists" who believe that the Templars came to  North America.

Funny how these two History Channel shows are intersecting. I admit to having enjoyed some of the episodes of "American Unearthed," but Wolter's theories, as well as his professional authority, have come under heavy criticism, to put it mildly. So I hope the Laginas are not going to turn to him as some kind of expert.

I had to laugh when Marty Lagina found the pottery shard in the swamp and said "this could mean something, or it could mean nothing." That applies to 98% of everything that happens on this show. How many times are we going to be asked to get excited about some submerged object that turns out to be a tree stump or boulder?

When they were scrutinizing the bottom of the pottery piece I was hoping they'd find it said "Made in China."

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5
On 10/17/2017 at 6:35 AM, merylinkid said:

I am giddy.     No really I am.    Stupid annoying show -- and I wouldn't miss a minute of it.

There's something about this show that we love to snark about everything, but at the same time we'd be fist pumping if/when they find something.

• Love 2

All day marathon today.   Then at 8 p.m ET is something called "the journey so far.   Which can be summarized as follows:  

Spoiler

they found nothing so far

Then a new episode at 9 p.m.   Which will be:   Oak Island a tiny island off the coast of Nova Scotia holds a secret ...  followed by breathless recounting of the theory du jour, followed by "Gasp, X on Oak Island, could it be?"   Followed by digging somewhere, with cuts to other searching.   Then a "discovery" just as the show ends.   

• Love 3

That was really sad about Drake, but that was a nice tribute at the end. Loved the shot of him running down the road. It's too bad they still have to have that stupid "one more must die" thing during the opening credits. I always thought that part was dumb and overly dramatic.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

It's too bad they still have to have that stupid "one more must die" thing during the opening credits. I always thought that part was dumb and overly dramatic.

Totally agree.   Especially since now there are 2 deaths since the show started.    Maybe not directly related to the search but still people involved in the search.

The previews had the dramatic ambulance scene of someone getting hurt.   I really hope it is not serious.   I want this show for the stupidity,not the because I want to see people hurt.

• Love 3

My friend and I were discussing how we both recall first hearing about this in the Readers Digest article in the 1960's and now here we are many years later addicted to this show. I can understand how this has a firm hold on the Lagina brothers. As a spouse I might be a little concerned over the money that keeps being spent to "discover" the truth and find the treasure. I'm sure what they are getting paid by production and it helps. They sure know how to milk episodes. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Totally agree.   Especially since now there are 2 deaths since the show started.    Maybe not directly related to the search but still people involved in the search.

My macabre thought:  They ought to move old Dan Blankenship into a tent next to the money pit.  If he so much as sneezes, they should drop him down into the hole and declare him to be the 7th person.  Seems like a waste of money to keep digging and diving until the legend is fulfilled.

Our daughter and her husband got us hooked on watching this show.  Two years ago for Christmas, she even found him a copy of the original Reader's Digest with the article that got the Lagina brothers interested in the treasure.  It is an interesting idea, but everything historical that has ever disappeared seems to be on that island.  LOL.

• Love 1
On 11/4/2017 at 9:28 PM, bluepiano said:

How many times are we going to be asked to get excited about some submerged object that turns out to be a tree stump or boulder?

And how many times are we going to watch them get excited by some small metal piece they just "found" with the detector in very loose soil because the crew buried it earlier that day?  Good grief.  

On 11/7/2017 at 7:23 AM, merylinkid said:

Then a new episode at 9 p.m.   Which will be:   Oak Island a tiny island off the coast of Nova Scotia holds a secret ...  followed by breathless recounting of the theory du jour, followed by "Gasp, X on Oak Island, could it be?"   Followed by digging somewhere, with cuts to other searching.   Then a "discovery" just as the show ends.   

Sounds like you're caught up.  

10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

They ought to move old Dan Blankenship into a tent next to the money pit.  If he so much as sneezes, they should drop him down into the hole and declare him to be the 7th person. 

Hilarious!  How about they just put one of the random metal finds under the old guy's pillow and if he dies in his sleep they can say the curse got him.  

Edited by Sprockets
typo
  • Love 2

Is the stake that they found last night suitable for hammering through my heart? You understand, to put me out of my misery of taking these slow painstaking steps of going inch by inch on this show every week? I love it but...

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

You understand, to put me out of my misery of taking these slow painstaking steps of going inch by inch on this show every week? I love it but...

Hello, I am your new best friend.  I am here to introduce you to the fast forward button.  Because seriously, if they ever do find something, you will know.  

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Hello, I am your new best friend.  I am here to introduce you to the fast forward button.  Because seriously, if they ever do find something, you will know.  

Lol...I don't have a DVR and can't record! This is a labor of love for all concerned (those at the site whom are digging and those of us that are watching). 

• Love 1

I get an awful lot of knitting done watching shows like this. (And by "like this" I mean "has been known to stretch ten minutes of plot out over 40 minutes of show" -- plenty of scripted shows are equally guilty.). Or, if I'm feeling really productive, laundry folded. 

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:18 AM, AZChristian said:

They've said a few times that Marty made his money in construction. The winery is likely a hobby investment, as there are a number of small boutique wineries in northern Michigan, but it's not a money-making industry.

If Marty is "only" worth 2 million then I'd say that History Channel is definitely footing the bill, because all or most of that 2 million could easily be poured down the drain in this venture.  Marty strikes me as a pretty smart guy, and it would be the bonehead move of all time to lose your life savings in a treasure hunt with little to no chance of a financial return. (Or else he's worth a lot more than 2M).

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:14 PM, pezgirl7 said:

That was really sad about Drake, but that was a nice tribute at the end. Loved the shot of him running down the road. It's too bad they still have to have that stupid "one more must die" thing during the opening credits. I always thought that part was dumb and overly dramatic.

Totally agree. I've never liked that hokey "one more must die" thing either. And I wish they'd had the good taste to edit it out of the opening on the show they announced the tragic death of such a young man.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6

Even though they'll probably never find the big treasure, I still find it interesting when they find small things that are peeks into the past history of the island. And it's cool that some of the guys can tell right away what something is when the look at it. Most people wouldn't be able to look at part of spoon and know when it was from and what exactly it was made of. It makes me want to go out and buy a metal detector!

Also, Dave's constant comments about finding gold are so laughable. I think he's going to be the most disappointed if they don't find anything. For some of the other guys, I think it's a lot about the hunt and finding the truth, but for him, it seems to be all about TREASURE!! Also, did he have a stroke? I noticed half of his body didn't seem to be working very well. I didn't notice that other seasons.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 3

so they found a rose head nail last week and gold coins this week.   Okay.   I will admit searching the spoils pile was a brilliant idea.   However, EVERY nail back then was handmade.   No biggie.    Anyone with money had gold coins.   These things do not equal PIRATES WERE ON OAK ISLAND.    Just because the island was not a popular spot does not mean no one came there.    I bet you could find those if you search any site from the 1600s.   

I laughed my ass off at the letter from the Canadian government.   Guess they've been watching the show and rolling their eyes at the "theory du semain."   They finally said no more running around like chickens with your heads cut off.   You are going to do this in a methodical fashion and with some REAL expert advice.   Thank you Canadian government.

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:35 PM, merylinkid said:

Anyone with money had gold coins.   These things do not equal PIRATES WERE ON OAK ISLAND.    Just because the island was not a popular spot does not mean no one came there.    I bet you could find those if you search any site from the 1600s.   

Also - and they do this all the damn time - finding an English coin dated 1685 DOES NOT mean that there were Englishmen on Oak Island in 1685.  It's totally faulty logic.  (I'm sure there's a name for this particular logical fallacy but I don't know it.)  If I accidentally drop a 1959 nickel on a vacation to Lake Louise, it does not mean I was there in 1959.  Or, if I accidentally drop a Canadian penny in Mexico, it doesn't mean that Canadians discovered Mexico.

I've watched this series since the beginning but it has grown stale.  I've still been recording this season  because I hate to give up on a show, but I watched one of the latest episodes and it just makes me mad. 

And now I'm off to sew up that hole in my pocket so I stop losing money.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 3