Type keyword(s) to search

The Curse Of Oak Island - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

I don’t think it’s solely about the date, it’s also about the depth at which some of these items are being found, why would a piece of pottery, or whatever material, from whichever date be found at such great depths? That’s a great part of the mystery.

Maybe Dan or Fred or one of the other treasure hunters turned up (and down) the soil enough to move shards, etc., around?  Can you imagine how deep some of the stuff that Gary HASN'T found will be by the time the Laginas leave?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Maybe Dan or Fred or one of the other treasure hunters turned up (and down) the soil enough to move shards, etc., around?

I’m not sure if the shards of pottery and paper remnants found 160+ feet down could have been moved down by the old excavations, but if these items have been found at that depth in previously unexplored locations, then that must mean something.

• Love 4

How do they know what depth something is found at?   They are going in with heavy equipment and just heaving things up.   There is no effort to accurately mark depth or location.    They are guessing what depth the grabber is at, hauling something up, dumping it in a pile then having Bobby Dazzler go over it with a metal detector.   

Speak of Bobby Dazzler, he is really going overboard.   Hey this flat piece of metal with a hole in it looks like a shaped piece of metal with a hole in it we found earlier.    Maybe my eyes are going but I saw zero resemblance.   But hey, it matched the Iron Cross so what do I know.   Except all they know is it was mined from the same region.   That's it.   Sure the region has a templar connection but non-templars lived in the region too.   Who may have stopped at Oak Island for whatever reason on their way somewhere else.   WITHOUT burying treasure on the Island.

• Love 1
On 3/27/2019 at 2:49 PM, Mrs peel said:

I keep wondering, when they get all excited about a dating to the 1700{s, wouldn’t people have kept pottery for long time periods, so that the dat made isn’t necessarily the date used?  I keep thinking that with the coins too.

The depth aside, another reason they get excited from items from the early 1700s is because those are potentially from what they call "depositers".  Meaning people who were there before the treasure hunters started digging up the island.  So it could be from people who left a treasure, if there is one.

One more episode to go this season.  I guess the most we can hope for at this point regarding a breakthrough is that they find some flood tunnels underneath the crane platform.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:20 AM, merylinkid said:

How do they know what depth something is found at?   They are going in with heavy equipment and just heaving things up.   There is no effort to accurately mark depth or location.    They are guessing what depth the grabber is at, hauling something up, dumping it in a pile then having Bobby Dazzler go over it with a metal detector.   

Speak of Bobby Dazzler, he is really going overboard.   Hey this flat piece of metal with a hole in it looks like a shaped piece of metal with a hole in it we found earlier.    Maybe my eyes are going but I saw zero resemblance.   But hey, it matched the Iron Cross so what do I know.   Except all they know is it was mined from the same region.   That's it.   Sure the region has a templar connection but non-templars lived in the region too.   Who may have stopped at Oak Island for whatever reason on their way somewhere else.   WITHOUT burying treasure on the Island.

They know exactly how deep they're finding those items.   They measure the depth each time the equipment brings up a load.

ETA:   I'm not sure what happened here but this post was supposed to be in response to the one I quoted below by @merylinkid

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, AnnA said:

They know exactly how deep they're finding those items.   They measure the depth each time the equipment brings up a load.

ETA:   I'm not sure what happened here but this post was supposed to be in response to the one I quoted below by @merylinkid

How deep is the casson?   Oh we're about at 150 feet?   That is not accurate measurement.    They also don't know WHERE something was brought up, because they just dump it in a big pile for Bobby Dazzler to go over later.   They don't bring up a load, he goes in with his metal detector and they bring up another load.    They bring up a load, dump it, bring up another load, dump it, etc.   Then he goes through the spoils pile with the detector and they dig around a bit.    No one knows if that bit he found came from the pile at 150 feet, 125 feet or 10 feet.    There is no scientific method to this at all.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

How deep is the casson?   Oh we're about at 150 feet?   That is not accurate measurement.    They also don't know WHERE something was brought up, because they just dump it in a big pile for Bobby Dazzler to go over later.   They don't bring up a load, he goes in with his metal detector and they bring up another load.    They bring up a load, dump it, bring up another load, dump it, etc.   Then he goes through the spoils pile with the detector and they dig around a bit.    No one knows if that bit he found came from the pile at 150 feet, 125 feet or 10 feet.    There is no scientific method to this at all.

I don't think it's quite as haphazard as you're describing.  I think they do go over the loads when they get down to certain depths that they're interested in.  We've seen it where they've dumped the loads into the bucket of a backhoe or whatever.  That's how they found the supposed side of the Chappell Vault.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

I don't think it's quite as haphazard as you're describing.  I think they do go over the loads when they get down to certain depths that they're interested in.  We've seen it where they've dumped the loads into the bucket of a backhoe or whatever.  That's how they found the supposed side of the Chappell Vault.

You're right.  I've seen them do that and I've also seen them be exact and bag the contents brought up by the smaller bit.   

• Love 2
(edited)

The settlers probably dug deep wells to get fresh water and there are also solution channels in the limestone bedrock.  The red dye could have come out of a solution channel and broken pottery could have been dropped down an old well. Just because you find humans' stuff at depth does not mean humans were down there.  If there were guys hiding treasure down there, I double they took tea breaks with fine china cups.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
On 4/25/2019 at 2:38 AM, Lovecat said:

Next week is the season finale.  Since we love us some Crackpot Tuesdays, the husband and I will be moving on to The Curse of the Civil War Gold, or whatever it’s called.

There is a series called The Curse of Civil War Gold, not to be confused with Lost Gold of World War II, which is what is currently airing after Oak Island on History. 

I confess I didn't watch a single episode this season.  I tried, but so little happens in any single episode that the show puts me to sleep.  Not to mention the fantastical, illogical inferences they make about every bit and bob that they find.  In 100 words or less, can one of you brave watchers summarize the season for me?

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

but so little happens in any single episode that the show puts me to sleep.  Not to mention the fantastical, illogical inferences they make about every bit and bob that they find.

You just did.

This felt like a very long season because NOTHING happened.   More "proof" of treasure with no substance.   Lots more holes dug.   But nothing else.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I confess I didn't watch a single episode this season.  I tried, but so little happens in any single episode that the show puts me to sleep.  Not to mention the fantastical, illogical inferences they make about every bit and bob that they find.  In 100 words or less, can one of you brave watchers summarize the season for me?

This season was kind of a big blur. I guess most of the time was spent in Smith's cove. They had a cofferdam installed and then excavated the area inside and found a bunch of different wooden structures. Slip ways, walls, a U shaped structure and maybe box drains. Some of the wood was analyzed and is from around the 1770s, which was pre-searcher.

They also ran another dye test from the money pit, and a little bit of the dye came out in Smith's cove. But I think there could just be natural water channels, and it doesn't necessarily mean there's a man-made drain.

I think the digging at the money pit just uncovered more old wood. Then the equipment operators union went on strike, so digging was put on hold. They set thousands of seismic dynamite things in the swamp to see if there was anything underground. I think the results will be in the final episode.

• Love 4

They did not. It was going to be about 6 weeks until they had a final report.  

It MUST have been getting cold up there—Billy finally put on long pants!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Welp, the season finale was pretty boring. Did I miss it, or did they not give the results of the dynamite tests?

Saved for next season.

This season we got the results of the age testing on the wood.    Predates the discovery of the "money pit" so all the wooden structures at Smith's Cove must have been built by the folks leaving the treasurer.   Not anyone else on the Island.    Nope, people couldn't have tried to live there, built a dock, etc., that flooded due to water level and they tried to keep the water drained out.   Nope, all connected to treasure only.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

The preview for next week’s “special episode” seems to suggest that we’ll get the results then. But since that will have been filmed in at least late December, if my math is correct, it’s not like they’ll be able to do much with them until next season. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I don't even think they mentioned Dan passing away.

Probably because he was still alive at the time of the episode being filmed. They did mention it at the end of an episode when it happened. He died in March, so I don't think the show was filming then. But the description for next week's Digging Down episode, where they get the seismic test results, also says "the brothership remembers Dan".

• Useful 2
(edited)

All this stuff about the 13 colonies and Nova Scotia.  They claimed the number 13 was so important that they split New Hampshire to create Vermont as the 13th colony or state.  But Vermont was not the 13th colony.  It became the 14th state.

and the tree carved into the stone had more than 13 branches.  The carving of the names seemed modern.

Edited by Mrs peel

the tree carving had like 16 on each side. I even counted the tree they had on the paper and it had like 9 on each side! I have no idea where they were seeing 13 anywhere in regards to that tree.  I hadn't heard the info about Vermont being the 14th colony, so thanks for my bit of learning for the day. I'm from GA so I learned a little about the 13 colonies in school.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Arynm said:

the tree carving had like 16 on each side. I even counted the tree they had on the paper and it had like 9 on each side! I have no idea where they were seeing 13 anywhere in regards to that tree.  I hadn't heard the info about Vermont being the 14th colony, so thanks for my bit of learning for the day. I'm from GA so I learned a little about the 13 colonies in school.

I noticed that discrepancy about the tree branches myself.  Pretty hard to explain, other than they were deliberately attempting to deceive the viewer.  Or I guess it's possible that guy just can't count.

I think it's a little harsh to say nothing happened this season.  True, they didn't find the treasure, but they did dig up a lot of archeological oddities.  

The problem I have with most of these treasure shows is that if someone buries a valuable treasure somewhere, and they know about it, then the natural next step is someone would come back and get it.  And in this case, if they did hide treasure, they apparently made it insanely difficult to retrieve.  But it also must have taken a lot of manpower, which means a lot of people knew where the treasure was.

The Lost Gold of World War II show sounds like there might be something there, as someone else was able to retrieve part of Yamashita's treasure.  So that seems more credible, but that may wear thin also as the seasons wear by lol.

• Love 3
(edited)
On May 1, 2019 at 10:17 PM, pezgirl7 said:

Probably because he was still alive at the time of the episode being filmed. They did mention it at the end of an episode when it happened. He died in March, so I don't think the show was filming then. But the description for next week's Digging Down episode, where they get the seismic test results, also says "the brothership remembers Dan".

On May 1, 2019 at 10:20 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I must have missed that part,  we'll miss old Dan.

I must have missed it too.   I expected to see something "In Memory of....."  at the end of this episode but I fell asleep.    Did anyone else get annoyed that the cable listing was for a two hour Oak Island episode and then they switched to the Civil War show in the second hour?    Are there forums for the civil war and WWII shows? 

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, AnnA said:

I expected to see something "In Memory of....."  at the end of this episode but I fell asleep.    Did anyone else get annoyed that the cable listing was for a two hour Oak Island episode and then they switched to the Civil War show in the second hour?

As far as I could tell, there was no memorial for Dan Blankenship.  Although it looked deliberately poignant that the last shot was Dan driving away in his golf cart (or whatever it was). 

I was also annoyed about the supposed two hour show, even though I watch the Civil War show anyway.  My episode guide said something about Curse of Oak Island and a special sneak peak of Civil War Gold.  Sneak peak nothing, it was the first episode of the season.

• Love 5

That was odd.  The "Digging Deeper" show was more like a regular episode.  They gave the results of the swamp survey, and then had the memorial for Dan.

So they're claiming there's a shipwreck in the swamp, apparently that's going to be a major focus of next season.  An interesting twist, if true.  Of course, it had to have been sunk there intentionally, there's no way it couldn't have just accidentally sunk there - according to the show.

• Love 1

They've always thought there was a ship in the swamp, ever since they found that long plank. I don't know why they don't think the wood was just washed up onto the island, back when the swamp was open to the ocean.

I don't really trust those results they got. I think those are the same guys that tested around the money pit and told them there was a cavern, and it just turned out to be a natural area filled with sand. When Marty (I think) asked them why they thought the ship shaped area was man-made, their response was... it doesn't look natural.

I do think it's interesting that a lot of the structures found at Smith's Cove were built right before the Revolutionary War. I don't know what the history is of that area, as it pertains to the war, but maybe it's connected. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I do think it's interesting that a lot of the structures found at Smith's Cove were built right before the Revolutionary War. I don't know what the history is of that area, as it pertains to the war, but maybe it's connected. 

I think it's funny that they've given us theories that the British buried treasure there to help finance their war with the colonies.  And they've also given us theories that the colonies had buried treasure there to finance their war with Britain.  

It's a wonder they didn't run into each other while burying their respective treasures, we might have had a Battle of Oak Island.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Side note . . . apparently someone has created a fake page for selling tickets for tours of Oak Island (at $30 per person).  The REAL tour runners ("Friends of Oak Island") have a mess on their hands, having to confirm for people who bought the fake tickets whether they may have been scammed.

I really miss life in the days of "Leave it to Beaver."

• Love 2
18 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Side note . . . apparently someone has created a fake page for selling tickets for tours of Oak Island (at $30 per person).  The REAL tour runners ("Friends of Oak Island") have a mess on their hands, having to confirm for people who bought the fake tickets whether they may have been scammed.

I really miss life in the days of "Leave it to Beaver."

Downside of fame.    I notice the Oak Island tours sign is prominent in most shots of the war room, so its not like the guys AREN'T trying to drum up business with the show.   SOMEONE has to pay for all the heavy equipment to be brought in.

But honestly, as scams go,this is pretty dumb.   I can't see that many people buying legit tickets that they can't go "wait a minute why are 100 people here, we only sold 25 for today?"   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

But honestly, as scams go,this is pretty dumb.   I can't see that many people buying legit tickets that they can't go "wait a minute why are 100 people here, we only sold 25 for today?"   

Actually, the tickets for the OI tour sell out within days of becoming available for each season.  This isn't Bruce Springsteen with huge arenas that sell out, but you literally have to buy your tickets for OI tour as soon as they go on sale, or you're going to be out of luck.

Charles Barkhouse leads the tours, and people frequently get to meet other members of the team, who are very willing to pose for pictures, etc.  There is probably only one tour a day, and not every day.

• Love 3

Did anyone else notice the look on Rick Lagina's face when they briefly changed the subject to the "Curse of Civil War Gold" treasure?  That was on the episode where they revealed the swamp data, which was technically a "Digging Deep" episode, for some reason.  Marty Lagina and his son Alex are involved (peripherally) on the Civil War Gold show, but Rick is not.

I got the impression Rick was a little irritated that he was left out of that treasure hunt (and its accompanying TV show), but I'm sure Marty figures that Rick has his hands full running the Oak Island explorations.

• Love 1

Update on the ticket scam, posted on the Friends of Oak Island Facebook page:

The Friends of Oak Island Society (FOIS) is devastated to learn that we have been the victim of an online ticket scam. Worse yet, it appears that the perpetrator is someone we have known and trusted for many years. We can confirm that the individual is no longer associated with Friends of Oak Island in any capacity. The Board of Directors has contacted BRIDGEWATER RCMP and have been told the matter is currently under investigation. We have been updated accordingly by the RCMP and will provide further details as we receive them.

While still in the process of gathering information, it appears that the individual has been fraudulently selling “tickets” for our FOIS tours. Further, the individual has been using their knowledge of our online systems and processes to divert a substantial amount of FOIS’ revenue - including funds generated from our actual ticket sales – to a personal account. The extent of the damage to FOIS and innocent third-parties is not entirely known yet. We are receiving new information every day and working with the RCMP to determine the full extent of the issue.

FOIS has not only been financially defrauded, but our reputation has been severely tarnished by the actions of one person seeking to use our name for their own financial benefit. As an organization we are angry that someone would intentionally harm our small non-profit society and take advantage of unsuspecting fans looking for tickets to Oak Island.

Rest assured, we are actively working with the RCMP and will continue to provide any assistance required. We are kindly asking for your patience and support during this difficult time. If anyone has information in relation to this crime, please contact the BRIDGEWATER RCMP. FURTHER INFORMATION WILL BE PROVIDED WHEN AVAILABLE.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Happy Belly said:

Does anyone know who it was that was involved in this ticket scam who was known and trusted for many years?

I've never seen the name published, but it was apparently a middle-aged person who worked with them in the Friends of Oak Island association.

• Love 1

Heaven help me.   I actually checked the Oak Island facebook page to see how it fared with Dorian.    Quite messy actually.    But yahoos are posting on the page "maybe the treasure will be uncovered now."    Yeah right, because Dorian is the first Nor'easter to ever hit Oak Island.

The Will to Believe is strong.

New season begins Nov. 5 according to Wikipedia.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:38 AM, merylinkid said:

This felt like a very long season because NOTHING happened.   More "proof" of treasure with no substance.   Lots more holes dug.   But nothing else.

This is why I stopped watching. The show always has this BIG build up to nothing. Nothing that says, yes there was treasure here. I honestly don't believe their is treasure there anymore, if there ever was. Come on, the people that buried the treasure had nothing more than a shovel. The money these brothers are spending trying to find it I'm sure is a hell of a lot more then what would be in a treasure chest, and I would think by this time a wooden chest would have decayed sitting in the water all these years and the coins or whatever is supposed to be in the chest is buried in the muck. Just my 2 cents.

How much do the brothers get paid for the show, merchandise and tours? How many years now have they been looking and I have to wonder if the show got canceled would they continue the search?

• Love 2
19 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I had zero desire to watch the new season opener tonight that basically was just going to go over the 25 major finds so far on Oak Island.

The season premiere is November 6th.   They advertised four weeks of "highlights" from previous seasons featuring their finds to air prior to the new season opener.

• LOL 3
On 3/27/2019 at 1:40 PM, OoohMaggie said:

I’m not sure if the shards of pottery and paper remnants found 160+ feet down could have been moved down by the old excavations, but if these items have been found at that depth in previously unexplored locations, then that must mean something.

Exactly they also found the pieces of human bone at those depths so something was going on down there.

Edited by Joan of Argh
Spelling
  • Love 3

This show is so frustrating... Just when I think I'll quit watching they drag some new piece of jewelry or bone or something up from the dirt and there I go right back to the trough waiting for the scraps.  *oink* 🐷 

I've got my fingers crossed.... Please let this be the year!!!!    

Acorn forever.  😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Okay the theory that Oak Island was once Oak IslandS is plausible.   It would explain why water gushes into all the tunnels so easily.   Natural waterways to the ocean that are now blocked and any opening lets them go again.    

Now do I believe it was done deliberately to hide a ship full of sunken treasure?   No.   

Finding evidence of activity on the Island before the finding of the money pit does not equal that activity was burying treasure.   It could be failed farming.   Or who knows.   But treasure is the least likely explanation.     I also notice they say KNOWN treasure hunters.    So could have been someone else out there who wasn't publicizing what he was doing.   

Every time they show an overhead shot of the Island my heart breaks.   What they have done to that environment is horrible.   Just holes everywhere, trees cut down, etc.   

• Love 7
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Every time they show an overhead shot of the Island my heart breaks.   What they have done to that environment is horrible.   Just holes everywhere, trees cut down, etc.   

Yes exactly... Plus all the explosions by Eagle Canada and continuously poking around in the swamp.

That poor little island is becoming Swiss cheese....  😖

• Love 2