Type keyword(s) to search

The Curse Of Oak Island - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Westx said:

More on the wire. Yes i DVR the show. Went back and this "wire" sticks out of the wall of the trench about waist high to Rick.  They had to of seen it. Sure they will discount it as "Searcher" leftovers.  Wonder why they didnt comment on it.

Which episode is that? We’re only up to Ep4 in the UK

• Love 1
On 01/02/2019 at 10:21 PM, pezgirl7 said:

In a recent episode they ran a test to see how far off the bore holes missed their mark, because as the drill goes down, it inevitably pitches off to the side when it hits friction. Some were off by quite a few feet.

I noticed that the ‘chamber’ that was recently missed was quoted as being 30’, they don’t say 30’ X the other dimension, was it 30’ X 30’ or 30’ X 12”? That makes a big difference when as you say, the drill can deflect by a good few feet. 

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Not sure the # of episode. Here in U

S. its on tuesdays.  On Digging Deeper right now.  Eposode is called Wharfs and All.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Westx said:

Not sure the # of episode. Here in U

S. its on tuesdays.  On Digging Deeper right now.  Eposode is called Wharfs and All.

Thanks, 

Wharfs and All is Ep 11, we’re way behind, time to hit the torrents!

Must say that this forum is scads more entertaining than the show.  My SO still likes to watch it but I find it about as interesting at this point as watching paint dry.  

I keep thinking that if they ever really found anything of real importance (Ark of the Covenant, anybody?), we would be reading about it in the news prior to an episode airing.   Just weird though how the equipment keeps failing when it shouldn't.  

• Love 2

I want to talk about the inscribed stone they found a little while back.  I think it's a big stretch to suggest it was Gothic writing.  In fact, the expert only mentioned that it looked kind of like Gothic writing, but in her opinion it looked decorative, and not like writing at all.  But the group all seemed to want to go with the Gothic writing idea.

If it is writing, I thought it looked mostly like Ogham, an ancient Irish script.  I'm sure if it was, someone would be pushing the idea.  Here's an example of it:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a0/2c/0e/a02c0ef648456c3a39f1a0b75d8e6266.gif

Notice it uses an underscored line (although it runs vertical), but the writing should be on both sides of it.  I don't actually think it's Ogham, maybe it could be something related to it?

But what it most looks like to me is some sort of stone that sat underneath a gutter where water kept running over it, and over time it eroded marks into it.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, rmontro said:

But what it most looks like to me is some sort of stone that sat underneath a gutter where water kept running over it, and over time it eroded marks into it.

What the heck fun would THAT be???

Yeah when they brought in the CUA person I cringed.    I went to law school at CUA.   They do not need to be involved in this folderol.    The guys were pushing so hard for a definitive answer that this was a CLUE to TREASURE.   When she wanted more information, they were all "we built a 3 d model."   No she needs to see the original so she can sure nothing can added.   Unlike the 90 foot stone that no one has seen since it was "translated."

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

When she wanted more information, they were all "we built a 3 d model."   No she needs to see the original so she can sure nothing can added. 

I guess I'm not the only one then who thinks that the markings on the 3d model look nothing like the markings on the real stone?  On the model they look like runes, and on the stone it looks like lines.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

I guess I'm not the only one then who thinks that the markings on the 3d model look nothing like the markings on the real stone?  On the model they look like runes, and on the stone it looks like lines.  

I thought the scan was a total waste of money. It hardly showed any detail. You could see way more detail in the photos. I'm glad the expert set them straight and told them it was decorative. Marty didn't seem very happy about that.

I have to confess that I'm starting to get a crush on Alex. Doh. I Googled him and he has a degree in mechanical engineering. Strange that they've never mentioned that.

• Love 3
On 2/6/2019 at 11:10 PM, pezgirl7 said:

I thought the scan was a total waste of money. It hardly showed any detail. You could see way more detail in the photos. I'm glad the expert set them straight and told them it was decorative. Marty didn't seem very happy about that.

Let's face it, the real money maker here is the TV show.

• Love 5

Lol, cracks me up every time something is said by someone and the camera pans to someone's face for their reaction.  Old Charles Barkhouse & Dave Blankenship always look like they are about to blow beets  knowing they are spending so much money on all this hoping beyond hope they find something more than a few bobby dazzlers of  a lead cross,buttons?,gilded pendant,broken pottery, rotten book binding, bones etc.....

• Love 3

I just watched the first episode last night, there was a comment that Smith's Cove was thought to contain the remains of ONE semi-intact finger drain.   I guess that explains why they weren't looking for the others this season when they found the one (supposedly).  I don't know how they came to the conclusion that the others were gone, or that the one left was only semi-intact, but that's what they said.

This season is the first season I've watched, so I'm probably behind on a lot of stuff.  I'll probably be watching all the back episodes over the coming weeks or months.

Edited by rmontro
On 11/11/2014 at 10:09 PM, merylinkid said:

Why is everyone surprised the pit and swamp flood?   The whole island has a max height of 36 feet above sea level.   You dig too far down, you hit water.   My theory is the "money pit" is a well someone dug once upon a time.   It kept flooding with seawater, so they capped it off with a big stone they found.

Sounds like a good theory.

It would be funny if they drilled down so deep, and then the whole island just sank lol.  It would be awful to lose the menorah from Solomon's Temple that way though...

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Tonight may be the last straw.   Ghost hunting now?    Really?    It was not only total filler it was STUPID (even for this show) filler.    

Loved when they were listening to the recording and all you heard with hissing.   My husband noticed that the meter never moved and then they closed the laptop as the camera began to move.    There was NOTHING being played.   Oh he also pointed out that the 17th century person of Asian descent probably wouldn't respond to question English.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I don't  know if any of what we saw last night really happened or not but I do know that the mind can play tricks on a person especially in a dark foggy uninhabited place with a mysterious past.

• Love 2

Loved that the brothers don’t believe in the curse that is part the title of their show!  “What could have caused the clanging noise below?”  “Oh, lots of things.”

and no one knows where the basis of the curse (7 men must die) comes from.  Ok then.

Was this taped recently or a long time ago?  Maybe I’m blanking, but when did they drain the swamp.

2 hours ago, Mrs peel said:

Loved that the brothers don’t believe in the curse that is part the title of their show!  “What could have caused the clanging noise below?”  “Oh, lots of things.”

and no one knows where the basis of the curse (7 men must die) comes from.  Ok then.

Was this taped recently or a long time ago?  Maybe I’m blanking, but when did they drain the swamp.

I'm glad you brought up the swamp.  That was new footage. I didn't know they drained it successfully.   I remember a few seasons back they tried but couldn't get it completely drained.    The "swamp" we saw this week was dry.   I hope they'll get it into it in another episode this season.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, AnnA said:

The "swamp" we saw this week was dry.   I hope they'll get it into it in another episode this season.

We’re only up to Ep7 here, have they drained the swamp as well as Smith’s Cove now?

Speaking Of Smith’s Cove, they put the last piece of the dam in tonight only to discover later that the whole ting leaked like a sieve. After a million dollars being spent on the damn thing, I was a little surprised at the contractors attitude to the situation. 

Speaking to Rick he was saying they do make a rapid setting caulk, so if YOU can mark the areas that need doing then YOU can go out at low tide and fill the gaps in the joints, so low and behold we saw the two kids outside with their caulk guns doing the job that the contractor should be doing.

It was hardly a glowing reference for the firm involved, I can’t believe that Rick, and especially the people paying for the thing, were so restrained when discussing it

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

We’re only up to Ep7 here, have they drained the swamp as well as Smith’s Cove now?

Speaking Of Smith’s Cove, they put the last piece of the dam in tonight only to discover later that the whole ting leaked like a sieve. After a million dollars being spent on the damn thing, I was a little surprised at the contractors attitude to the situation. 

Speaking to Rick he was saying they do make a rapid setting caulk, so if YOU can mark the areas that need doing then YOU can go out at low tide and fill the gaps in the joints, so low and behold we saw the two kids outside with their caulk guns doing the job that the contractor should be doing.

It was hardly a glowing reference for the firm involved, I can’t believe that Rick, and especially the people paying for the thing, were so restrained when discussing it

They make the caulk for a reason.     I think it's like any big project, you build it then find out the glitches.   Then you fix the glitches.

Yeah, I had never heard of the curse before this show.   Not that I had been more than casual reader about Oak Island but still you would think something like that would have come up.    I think they made up the curse to be more interesting and make the title catchier.   "Digging Holes All Over Oak Island" just doesn't have the same sort of panache.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Hmmm...I’ve seen way past that episode with the caulk.  I actually thought the ghost stories was a filler for between seasons.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

They make the caulk for a reason. 

And that reason is so the contractor can leave the completed job in a condition which pleases the client, no contractor ever asks or expects their client to carry out remedial or snagging work, on the job they have just completed or six months down the line.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Mrs peel said:

Has the death got to be accidental? Fred Nolan passed not that long ago, wouldn’t he have counted as the 7th, dear old Dan is what, 90 something now, I hope he hangs in there long enough to find something to make all those years worthwhile.🤞🍀

• Love 5
1 hour ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Anyone notice old Dave Blankenship having a time walking down that dropoff in a scene? Looked like his arm is jacked up or something. 

It's his whole left side. It's been like that for a while. I wonder if he maybe had a stroke a few years ago.

I feel like there's probably a natural explanation for the paranormal stuff. The black cloud could be swamp gas or even a swarm of insects and the fireball over the water could have just been a mirage, assuming it was sunny out.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 1

Just stumbled across this thread.  Unfortunately, I don't have cable, so haven't seen any of the shows. However, living in Nova Scotia, we all grew up wondering about the "mystery" of Oak Island. And have seen countless books written about it.  One I recently read was written by a miner from the area, who also spent a lot of time on the island when he was young.   He has some interesting theories on the Money Pit, from the point of view of a miner.  Here's the book if anyone is interested:  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24293979-oak-island-unearthed

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/24/2019 at 12:23 PM, buffynut said:

He has some interesting theories on the Money Pit, from the point of view of a miner.

Care to share the gist of some of those theories?  It's interesting to me that you are from the area and aware of the mystery without seeing the show.

I recall them mentioning on the show before the possibility that there had been mining on the island in the distant past.  I was thinking that might explain some of those tunnels that are alleged to be there.  Someone was said to have taken a large amount of fool's gold (iron pyrite) off the island in a ship, I bet they felt foolish, assuming the story is true.  There are so many stories about Oak Island, it's hard to tell what is factual and what isn't.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, rmontro said:

It's interesting to me that you are from the area and aware of the mystery without seeing the show.

Maybe it's because my father was fascinated with the mystery, but I grew up knowing all about Oak Island.  We even went there back in the mid 70's, when I guess whoever owned it at the time gave tours.  I have a picture taken at the Money Pit, or one of the digs.

16 hours ago, rmontro said:

Care to share the gist of some of those theories? 

Honestly, I've forgotten most of what I read.  And a lot of it was quite technical.   I must borrow the ebook again and skim it and see what I can post about his theories. 

There's a little bit mentioned under the product description on the amazon page for the book:  https://www.amazon.ca/Oak-Island-Unearthed-Third-Canadian-ebook/dp/B079WKJB3K/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=oak+island+o'brien&qid=1551200864&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

One thing I do remember, is the author and a friend were camping on the island one night, and heard footsteps on the beach. It scared them so much they took off in the middle on the night and rowed ashore.

46 minutes ago, buffynut said:

There's a little bit mentioned under the product description on the amazon page for the book:

I see something about Mayans mining for blue clay, which is interesting.  The show seems to think that the blue clay was packed around certain areas and objects as waterproofing.

And it also says something about an Aztec king being buried there, which I have not heard mentioned before.  But I haven't seen all the episodes yet, so maybe they did.  They seem to have entertained every other cockamamie theory out there  🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

What is the end game with this show?  It seems to me that if they really want to find something (or rule out finding anything), they need to do what somebody had done before:  Dig a huge hole, like about 100 x 100 feet in the area of the money pit and 10x.  Whoever had done that before (can't remember the names), the sides of the hole collapsed.  Maybe they can take some measures to help prevent that.

Presumably, at some point, the bottom would start to flood.  But it would still be better off than trying to find something 180 feet below the earth through a little hole.  They'd at least be closer to whatever it is they're trying to find.  

By the way, as I said before, I've been watching the old episodes.  The next one I'm supposed to watch has some guy who brings in his theory about Aztecs on the island, so apparently they have addressed this theory on the show (it's early in season three).

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:01 AM, Lovecat said:

Well they finally did it.  The damn island is sinking. 

It's something I've been thinking about for years, as they've brought enormous amounts of very heavy machinery onto what, you can see in the overhead shots, is a very small island. Not to mention all their digging. The island is privately owned, but does that mean that you are legally entitled to destroy it?

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:29 PM, merylinkid said:

Tonight may be the last straw.   Ghost hunting now?    Really?    It was not only total filler it was STUPID (even for this show) filler.    

I DVR the series and will have to go back to look at this episode I somehow missed. But OMG, ghosts??? We've already seen some cross over between this show and other History Channel "reality" show, like Ancient Aliens (same production company) and America Unearthed. But giving serious credence to ghost hunting would just about destroy any claims the Laginas have to conducting a scientific investigation.

As for the curse, a couple of seasons Greg Tester's teenaged son (or perhaps stepson, not sure) passed away. To the credit of the show, they didn't bring up the curse thing to capitalize on this tragedy. But having the show called "The Curse of Oak Island" has always been stupid, since it's about the hunt for treasure, and other than the show's opening the curse is virtually never mentioned.

Also, the people who died during treasure hunting activities died because they were do something very dangerous. A "curse," as in the stories around the fate of those who discovered King Tut's tomb, is supposed to strike people years later in ways unrelated to the original activity.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, bluepiano said:

I DVR the series and will have to go back to look at this episode I somehow missed. But OMG, ghosts??? We've already seen some cross over between this show and other History Channel "reality" show, like Ancient Aliens (same production company) and America Unearthed. But giving serious credence to ghost hunting would just about destroy any claims the Laginas have to conducting a scientific investigation.

It was a Digging Deeper episode, so not a normal episode. The Laginas didn't do the ghost hunting, and when Matt brought them his "evidence" at the end, they basically poo-pooed it.

(edited)

Thanks Pezgirl7. I don't generally watch the "Digger Deeper" episodes. Am glad to hear that the Laginas weren't having any of it. They can get a bit carried away with the Oak Island theories (Holy Grail, Shakespeare etc.) but at heart I think they're sill level-headed Midwestern boys.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4
On 2/27/2019 at 12:01 PM, Lovecat said:

Well they finally did it.  The damn island is sinking.

With pumping all the water out of everywhere probably.    The water in channels, which is probably what all the "booby trapped" flood tunnels are, provides stability.   You remove it, and there is just a void.   Which collapses.    I cannot get over how the idea of a collapse is to vibrate it further to see they can "fix" it. 

Wouldn't it make more sense that the box drains worked outward from the money pit area rather than inward?   Some farmer probably wanted drier land to grow crop so he drained the land out to the sea.  

Everything has a mundane explanation that has nothing to do with treasure.    If they would stop thinking "THERE MUST BE TREASURE" for 5 minutes they would come up with these ideas.   Instead millions of dollars are being poured into holes in the ground.   Money pit indeed.

BTW, did you notice how clear the sign was for Oak Island Tours in the warroom?   

• Love 3
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Everything has a mundane explanation that has nothing to do with treasure.    If they would stop thinking "THERE MUST BE TREASURE" for 5 minutes they would come up with these ideas.   Instead millions of dollars are being poured into holes in the ground.   Money pit indeed.

BTW, did you notice how clear the sign was for Oak Island Tours in the warroom?   

Here's what irritated me about this last episode:  The announcer said at the end that the dye coming out at Smith's Cove proved that there were man made flood tunnels into the Money Pit.  Just because there is a route for water to reach from the Pit to the Cove doesn't prove that it is man made.  It could be (and maybe more likely is) natural.  

Nice point on the Oak Island Tours sign.  Between the TV show and the tours, they should be getting something back on their investment.

By the way, I'm assuming that Marty is the brother with most of the money.  He supposedly owned (or owns?) an oil business, while Rick was a postal worker.  I get the idea that Rick has the Oak Island dreams, and brother Marty is financing it.  Unless they just come from a rich family and Rick inherited a substantial amount.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, rmontro said:

I get the idea that Rick has the Oak Island dreams, and brother Marty is financing it. 

As far as anyone knows, that's the case.   

1 hour ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Does one of them own a vineyard?

IIRC, Marty does or did. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Just saw on Facebook that Dan Blankenship passed away yesterday from natural causes at the age of 95.  RIP, Dan.

That's so sad.   I was hoping he'd live to see a major discovery on Oak Island.

RIP Dan Blankenship

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Just saw on Facebook that Dan Blankenship passed away yesterday from natural causes at the age of 95.  RIP, Dan.

That’s such a shame, he was hanging on in there, at least they found ‘some’ gold he could hold in his hand.

Let’s hope all those years of dedication do eventually prove worthwhile.

• Love 10

Also sorry to hear about Dan.

my ever has been taping I guess old episodes?  One where they started to find pottery at the money pit.  I keep wondering, when they get all excited about a dating to the 1700{s, wouldn’t people have kept pottery for long time periods, so that the dat made isn’t necessarily the date used?  I keep thinking that with the coins too.

22 minutes ago, Mrs peel said:

I keep wondering, when they get all excited about a dating to the 1700{s, wouldn’t people have kept pottery for long time periods, so that the dat made isn’t necessarily the date used?  I keep thinking that with the coins too.

I don’t think it’s solely about the date, it’s also about the depth at which some of these items are being found, why would a piece of pottery, or whatever material, from whichever date be found at such great depths? That’s a great part of the mystery.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 2