Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Coffee Machine

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Looks like I'm the first one to use the coffee machine. Well, hello there, I'm frenchguy. Long-time lurker and expanse fan, the show finally pushed me to become an active part of the community. So, I'm happy to join you and will do my best to contribute to the forums.

Looks like we Frenchies like coffee ! Although I never fell into that addictions, I have my own others ! ^^

Looking forward to see this community expand cause I'm sure this show has the potential to go quite far !

Hi Expanse fans,  the coffee machine discovery was precious for me and still find it cool. In our world we take coffee for granted ...just one of the many small sacrifices made to live off world. I'm an exile from the recently closed imdb board, hence my name. I like plausible sci-fi and don't care for reality shows at all...

...although the Bachelor may be the one exception. Good fashion, exciting sets and locations. Still I mostly watch it because the wife does.

EDIT to add imo the EXPANSE has the gravitas to become  legendary, like Babylon 5 with a 5 or 6 season run.

Edited by refugee
clarity
  • Love 2

Hello all, loving the show, except for the sounds in space, grrrrrr.

Is it ok to ask about the Churn audiobook here and what relation it has to the show?   Don't see a thread for that kind of info.

I think I'd watch this show even if budget cuts reduced it to just Shohreh Angdashloo wearing colorful outfits while telling arrogant white people to go fuck themselves.  Maybe especially if they did that.

• Love 3

This series deserves to be more popular than it is, but I guess Syfy and hard Sci Fi is a tough sell.

It is a shame to see something like The Walking Dead pull in 10 or 11 million viewers instead, which isn't well-written and hasn't been good for a couple seasons now. 

• Love 1

So my Nielsen book arrived one week too late to log my viewership for the one show I watch that I think could use the help.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, marinw said:

Our first Wednesday without a new episode. We must now all deal with the Expanse-size holes in our tv watching schedules.

My copy of Babylon's Ashes arrived yesterday so I still have that.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Haleth said:

The Expanse is in no immediate any danger of encountering the Game of Thrones situation where the TV show runs out of source material.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Haleth said:

Just finished Abaddon's Gate.  I've got Cibola Burn waiting on the shelf by my bed, and Nemesis Games on order.  Also, Babylon's Ashes is on pre-order, because the first five are the large, paperback editions, and if I order #6 as hardback I would be unhappy, because...  well, I guess I have a touch of CDO. (Which is like OCD, but with the letters properly alphabetized, the way they should be!)

• Love 1

I'm envious of those of you who still have books to read.  I've finished them all and have to wait until December for Persepolis Rising.  Blah.

9 hours ago, Haleth said:

Ha!  Me too, Netfoot.  I gradually replaced all my paperback copies of ASOIAF with hard covers so they'd match.

LOL, I have a mix of paperback and hardcover of the Dresden Files series, and I admit it can make my eyelid twitch.

• Love 1

Seeking advice. I've just reached the point in Caliban's War where I'm more or less caught up with the TV show. I'm tempted to stop reading now and wait for Season 3, then continue reading after that season has aired. I know - it's a long wait. But though I'm DYINK of curiosity, but hate to ruin the surprise. Those of you who've read the books, what is your opinion on this? 

1 hour ago, lidarose9 said:

Seeking advice. I've just reached the point in Caliban's War where I'm more or less caught up with the TV show.

What chapter did you read to?  I'm trying to do the same but the disconnect between the books and the show make it difficult.

2 hours ago, lidarose9 said:

Seeking advice. I've just reached the point in Caliban's War where I'm more or less caught up with the TV show. I'm tempted to stop reading now and wait for Season 3, then continue reading after that season has aired. I know - it's a long wait. But though I'm DYINK of curiosity, but hate to ruin the surprise. Those of you who've read the books, what is your opinion on this? 

Well, then you know there is still quite a lot of the book to cover.  Let's just say that for the rest of the book they aren't sitting around drinking coffee.  Only you can decide if you want to be spoiled about what's to come. 

I can't remember the order these occur in the book, but season 2 ended with three events made concurrent:

1. the deconstruction of the Argomumble (people dying in vacuum always look so sadly resigned - it haunts me)
  2. Bobbie taking control of the yacht (heroically staged, the armored soldier arrives in the nick of time, dispatches the bad guys, and literally holds out the hand of salvation to the good guys)
  3. the Roci fighting off and killing that really freaky monster (even scarier then the book)

So, when you reach the point where all three of these have happened, STOP.  Because where Crisjen goes next is supercool, logical, and badass; if you haven't spoiled yourself yet you don't want to.

17 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

So, when you reach the point where all three of these have happened, STOP.  Because where Crisjen goes next is supercool, logical, and badass; if you haven't spoiled yourself yet you don't want to.

Thanks!

I kept reading on - because I have no self-control ;) I've finished the whole series last week and I don't regret it. It's been a while since books managed to captivate me to that level. And I can't wait to see how it all pans out on screen.

Spoiler

I wasn't too happy with 'Babylon's Ashes' - weak villain, too much dumbness, too much naivete in some of the plots and Holden did for the first time things I really could not get behind. Hopefully there's going to be some course-correction in the next book.

18 hours ago, jhlipton said:

What chapter did you read to?  I'm trying to do the same but the disconnect between the books and the show make it difficult.

I am up to Chapter 34. Holden and crew are back at Tycho after defeating the thing in the cargo bay. The incident on Venus has happened, but Avasarala and Bobbi are running on a little different timeline. They've just arrived on Mao's space yacht. 

5 hours ago, johntfs said:

The other summer show I'm into, Preacher, is pretty much completely white, except for Tulip, played by Ruth Negga, who is mixed race (black/white) and my favorite of the main three.

I watched the first episode of Preacher's season 2 and Negga is definitely the best part, but that isn't saying much.  The dialogue was stilted and boring, and what should have been witty (whether to use "Genesis" [really????] on Tammy) was just boring.  Blech.  No thanks.

On 2017-03-11 at 5:02 PM, refugee said:

I'm an exile from the recently closed imdb board, hence my name. I like plausible sci-fi and don't care for reality shows at all...

Nice to meet a fellow compatriot. I feel like we traded up for this board.

General question, would you go into space if you could? I probably wouldn't cause I'm such an environmental geek I don't even want to go with an airplane. Imagine the carbon emissions of getting of earth. Maybe if there was a space elevator.

Edited by Holmbo
On 10/22/2017 at 4:04 PM, JZL said:

If you like The Expanse you'll probably appreciate these prints, the "Space That Never Was."

I live space art! Thank you for posting that link.

On 10/16/2017 at 4:18 PM, Holmbo said:

General question, would you go into space if you could? I probably wouldn't cause I'm such an environmental geek I don't even want to go with an airplane. Imagine the carbon emissions of getting of earth. Maybe if there was a space elevator.

I'm afraid of flying and mildly claustrophobic, and I support environmental causes. I would go into space in an instant if I had the opportunity. 

• Love 1

I'm binge watching (re-watching) the show and I finally went and looked up the order of the planets in the solars system.  I know Earth is the third planet (thank you TV show "3rd Rock") but I just binge-watched all of season 1 and 2 thinking Mars was the 2nd planet -- that it was closer to the sun than earth.  I forgot Mercury.  Sigh.  This explains so much. There were so many times when a line of dialog made me think someone was flying in the entirely wrong direction.  

So . . . Mars is farther from the sun than Earth.  The asteroid belt lies between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter (so it's farther out from the sun than Mars). And Ceres is the largest asteroid (really a dwarf planet) in that belt.  Ganymede is one of the moons of Jupiter and is actually larger than Mercury or Pluto and only slightly smaller than Mars.  Got it. So when "belters" express their distain for the "inner planets" (by, say, tossing their refugees out an airlock) "inner planets" is just another way of saying "those assholes from Earth and Mars" since nothing lives on Mercury and Venus.  Until now.  (Cue the creepy music).

This show is so good. 

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2
On 4/25/2018 at 11:02 AM, WatchrTina said:

I'm binge watching (re-watching) the show and I finally went and looked up the order of the planets in the solars system.  I know Earth is the third planet (thank you TV show "3rd Rock") but I just binge-watched all of season 1 and 2 thinking Mars was the 2nd planet -- that it was closer to the sun than earth.  I forgot Mercury.  Sigh.  This explains so much. There were so many times when a line of dialog made me think someone was flying in the entirely wrong direction.  

So . . . Mars is farther from the sun than Earth.  The asteroid belt lies between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter (so it's farther out from the sun than Mars). And Ceres is the largest asteroid (really a dwarf planet) in that belt.  Ganymede is one of the moons of Jupiter and is actually larger than Mercury or Pluto and only slightly smaller than Mars.  Got it. So when "belters" express their distain for the "inner planets" (by, say, tossing their refugees out an airlock) "inner planets" is just another way of saying "those assholes from Earth and Mars" since nothing lives on Mercury and Venus.  Until now.  (Cue the creepy music).

This show is so good. 

You might like THIS, then, the 3D version of the interactive asterank link above, The colored rings are the orbits of the planets, this shows out to Jupiter. 

12 hours ago, JZL said:

You might like THIS, then, the 3D version of the interactive asterank link above, The colored rings are the orbits of the planets, this shows out to Jupiter. 

This shows that while most of the asteroids are between Mars and Jupiter, a fair number are near Earth.  These are the ones that become meteors (meteorites if there's anything left after they land).

13 hours ago, jhlipton said:

This shows that while most of the asteroids are between Mars and Jupiter, a fair number are near Earth.  These are the ones that become meteors (meteorites if there's anything left after they land).

I also tend to forget, which asterank shows, that the solar system is canted ~ 60° from the galactic plane, which was not what was taught when I was a kid.

• Love 1