Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E07: Pretty Fly For A Food Scientist

• Start Topic

She did point out where the problem was, and they could guess that "linea" referred to lines.  I can see the race not providing them with an English translation, just to add to the challenge (since there are so many tasks where the judge didn't even say what's incorrect).  They love teams going, "I just don't know what we're doing wrong!!!"  It looks like T&T forgot the belly button, until the very end, when they jumped to their task being finished to make the race to the end more suspenseful, even though it was pretty clear that Adam and Bethany left early enough to get to the Pit Stop first.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I always enjoy when one of the Detour Options is a "sucker bet" (i.e. more difficult or time-consuming than it appears) as it seems the Painting task was this week.

I'll be interested to see the difference in starting times between the Dentists/Cyclists and the Wrestlers/Scientists next leg.

Still, given that it's an anniversary season, I really wish they would've brought back the "each with its own pro's and con's" element to the Detours

• Love 1

Yay! Another week without strength/physical challenges! I don't know what the better detour option would have been. On the one hand, I love opera and costumes so I feel like I could rock that out. Also, as memory tasks go it was fairly easy. On the other hand, if you have a steady hand and a fair bit of artistic ability the fresco task wasn't that demanding. I guess I'd give the edge to the opera as none of the teams seemed great at painting. It was a color in the lines situation. It reminded me a little of the bookmaking task in the All Stars season. You know what I mean. The one where they had to apply gold leaf and do calligraphy? The judge didn't seem that exacting here. 

I'm happy that Tim and Te Jay get to experience another leg of the race but I don't think they'll be around much longer. 

I think the painting was the physical task. Several racers complained about how much their arms hurt from painting overhead. It seemed as though it were simply an artistic task so anyone could do it as long as they could paint (copy), but it required the ability to keep your arms up and steady for a long time. I think it was a lot harder physically than any of the racers thought it would be.

And I couldn't figure out why the cyclists didn't trade sides. They complained about bumping arms because one was left-handed and the other right-handed. Just switch sides, and you don't bump arms.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 3

I'm happy that Tim and Te Jay get to experience another leg of the race but I don't think they'll be around much longer. 

I felt really bad for them when they realized they were the last team to arrive at the Pit Stop and one of them audibly gasped in horror, so I was happy it was a NEL. We'll see if they can overcome doing the Speed Bump and get back into it!

And I couldn't figure out why the cyclists didn't trade sides. They complained about bumping arms because one was left-handed and the other right-handed. Just switch sides, and you don't bump arms.

Yes, that made no sense to me.  Why not switch sides?  I can only guess they thought they would lose too much time, but I can't imagine that it would have taken more than a couple of minutes to rearrange themselves.

Also, I don't remember there being segments in the rain or snow, but they must have happened over the years, right?  The go cart race probably would have to be cancelled if it was too wet (although I'm sure that's not such a risk in Sicily).  Do they have contingency plans for unsafe conditions?

innominate listed some times when heat and wind have affected challenges, but I have been wondering recently why I can recall hardly any instances of hard rain on the race in all 25 seasons.  The only significant rain I can remember is when Zev gave a stranger his raincoat while they were in transit in some Asian country I think.  It makes me wonder whether the production checks the forecasts in advance of each leg and actually stops the show and waits for a good forecast before moving on.  I'm sure that happens sometimes but I wonder how often.

Oh I just remembered another one: Wil and Tara driving through rain in Australia in S2.  That was the basis for a funny edit.  Wil was like, "As long as I've got you Tara, I've got sunshine!" Cut to them driving through the pouring rain!

Edited by Lingo
  • Love 1

It's possible Maya just blew it on the first try, but I also think "coopetition"  helped in this task. Have someone to race against would make almost anyone drive a little faster.

Agreed on that. As far as I recall, she was the only one to attempt it on her own, and the only one who had to do it more than once. Trying to catch someone/having someone nipping at your heels was definitely a big help on this task.

I'm in the didn't-really-love-the-cyclists-mocking-the-dentists camp. It didn't make me hate them or anything, but it didn't really endear them to me, either. I'm sure it was in response to TPTB proddings, but it just felt unprovoked and unnecessary. 

On a related note, I enjoyed the fact that neither judge seemed to speak to the teams in English when giving feedback and verdicts.  To me, it added another layer of challenge, especially for the painting teams trying to get specific instructions. 

I enjoyed that too. Often, judges don't give any feedback at all other than "not good enough," so I kind of liked that there was feedback here, but only if you could figure out what she was saying.

Yes, that made no sense to me.  Why not switch sides?  I can only guess they thought they would lose too much time, but I can't imagine that it would have taken more than a couple of minutes to rearrange themselves.

My guess is that if they switched sides, they would have to kind of lean in to get at the painting that was between them, and maybe it would have been even more awkward, or at least not any less awkward. As a north-paw married to a south-paw, I can vouch for the fact that just having my arm free and disentangled from his doesn't necessarily guarantee easier whatever we're trying to do.

• Love 4

I was surprised at how nonchalant and cool Adam and Bethany were at the painting task.  They had no idea where they were with regards to the two teams that had to do the opera.  They saw two teams leave before them, and they were seemingly neck and neck with Tim and Te Jay.  Maybe they thought the opera task would take longer, but I was surprised there was no discussion of using the express pass.  The finish was obviously edited to look a lot closer than it was, I am not sure if there are any shots where we can see the progress of both teams at the same time.  But still.  Bet it was a surprise to them when they learned the two opera teams had finished.

Tim (he's the one without the wart on his nose, right?) seemed to think the two teams were really close.  When he walked up to the pit stop and saw Adam and Bethany on there, he covered his mouth with his hand in an "omigosh we are eliminated" move.  Not sure how he surmised that the opera teams were done, because he seemed to expect elimination.

Also, I don't remember there being segments in the rain or snow, but they must have happened over the years, right?  The go cart race probably would have to be cancelled if it was too wet (although I'm sure that's not such a risk in Sicily).  Do they have contingency plans for unsafe conditions?
I think if the weather is looking really bad and they have no other alternatives set up, they will just extend the pit stop.  It has happened more than a few times, they just never tell us about it anymore.  Back in TAR Classic I think that sandstorm that Paul and Amie got lost it caused an extended pit stop.
  • Love 2

I don't live in America and used to watch TAR on AXN before broadband and after that, I just do 98% of series watching on my laptop so I can't answer how CBS handled that. As for tasks set in rain and snow, I can only recall slight drizzle when Jon and Kelly were on the beach in season 4 and during the toy rubber frog search in muddy fields in season 14. There have been plenty of challenges with snow since season 1 as the show has been using Alaska as a destination a number of times over the years.

Snow challenges were usually constructed because of it instead of in spite of it. Other challenges that were affected by the weather that I can recall were again in season 14 when Margie passed out for a few seconds from heat stroke and season 22 when a few racers complained about the heat while performing a task on the beach in episodes 1 and 2.

Strong winds have meddled in season 18 when the racers were asked to recreate a trailer home of some sort and they just had to work around the strong wind blowing everything they have placed by putting rocks on the props. Similar thing in season 19 when they had to set up chairs and umbrellas on the beach. I think the teams got through that by partly burying the chairs and umbrella legs into the sand.

Then in season 23 Amy and Jason attempted to win the Fast Forward by doing a challenge with heights (I can't quite recall whether it was tight rope crossing or bungee jumping) and there were strong winds that made the task impossible. The guys in charge of the challenge advised them to wait for at least 10-15 minutes. I don't remember whether they waited or not but they definitely did not perform the task upon professional advice and went back to the regular detour/roadblock

Thanks to you and the others who provided more info.  I've read a bit about the all of the logistical work involved in the show, and I can't imagine the nightmares that a cyclone or just a heavy rain storm might cause.  In this season, you figure Morocco and Sicily have pretty predictable weather, but I could see digging for the pirate's chest on the beach being horrible in a big storm, and places like Copenhagen or the Shetlands must have a significant risk of rain -- I wouldn't want to transport that wedding cake or set up the scene in the parking spot in the middle of a downpour.  In the past few seasons there have been a number of health problems -- the fireman's ankle, the Afghanimal's knee, the Arkansas guy's kidney(?) and the endless reference to the achilles tendon -- so it's interesting that the show has managed to dodge major weather problems.  Probably at least in part a tribute to the planning before the show launches.

On the switching side thing, they might mot have been allowed to switch. The footage is used out of order from time to time. If the racers changed sides, it screw up the ability to use footage from different times in the same task. I have no idea why they would want to show footage out of order but it is done. This would be why home decorating shows insist that people wear the same outfit the entire time they are shooting. So I am guessing they couldn't switch sides

Most of the time I'm right, and I just need him to admit that he was wrong.

Not as cute as it was supposed to be, because I get the vibe that this was not as much in jest as we were supposed to believe.

• Love 1

I have grown to really like JIm and Misti over the course of the season.  Their no drama, get the job done style is to my liking.  As for Jim's not being fun, I would not be surprised if he (and likely Misti, too) are very conscious of their performances on this show not affecting their professional reputations.  I think that's a smart move.  Much wiser than those obnoxious emergency room doctors from a few seasons ago.  I, for one, would avoid them professionally at all costs. 

I have found the bikers annoying from the jump.  Part of it derives from them saying they're from Brooklyn when it is obvious neither of them is.  Hipsters, take note:  moving to Brooklyn from your small town or suburb does not make you a Brooklynite.  Not everything is a commodity that you can acquire like a pair of skinny jeans.  These cyclist zealots are one of the worst types of transplants we have had to deal with in the fair borough over the past years.  I find their mugging (well, mostly the narrow faced one) insufferable.  Brooke is less annoying to me than these two.  They don't seem like horrible people, but I would hate to encounter them in NY.

I have never equated wrestlers with international travel ever.  Love to be proved wrong but I doubt that most of them get further afield then a once-in-a-lifetime vacation in Cancun.

Interestingly enough, I was catching a flight from London to Lisbon a few years ago and in front of me checking in was the WWF crowd.  John Cena and a large crew were on the same flight.  An elderly woman sitting in front of a particularly large blonde-haired wrestler (they were all pretty huge) read him the riot act because his knees kept digging into the back of her seat.  It was a funny exchange.  He was like a schoolboy apologizing.  When they exited through the terminal in Lisbon I was surprised at how much recognition they got from passersby.  They were actually pretty cool- no attitude or strutting around to be noticed.  

Edited by BarneySays
  • Love 3

The cyclists lost some of their favor with me in this episode. Their talking trash about the dentists behind their back was just as ugly as when Mr. Teeth did it during the Morocco leg. Didn't like him doing it, and I don't like them doing it. Though I admit his lack of fun doesn't combine very well with his overly tanned bulging eye looks. I'd like the dentists a whole lot more if it wasn't for his competitive boasts. Also, while that was relatively beautiful sunrise, was it really worth the amount of time spent on it?

The lady wrestler continues to whine and annoy me. Wasn't she the one that made the ugly face in the race car on the way down the hill? That was horrible. However, Robbie went up a half ab... er... step in favor this episode. Yeah, it's mugging for the camera and playing a character, but that character is starting to win me over. Free Robbie! Unfortunately, I can't think of anyone else on the race I'd like to pair him with.

The surfers continue to be my favorite team, though they faltered a bit in this episode. I was really worried they were going to be eliminated. As much as T&T and the food scientists are OK and don't annoy, I really don't want the surfers to go out before them.

innominate listed some times when heat and wind have affected challenges, but I have been wondering recently why I can recall hardly any instances of hard rain on the race in all 25 seasons.  The only significant rain I can remember is when Zev gave a stranger his raincoat while they were in transit in some Asian country I think.  It makes me wonder whether the production checks the forecasts in advance of each leg and actually stops the show and waits for a good forecast before moving on.  I'm sure that happens sometimes but I wonder how often.

Oh I just remembered another one: Wil and Tara driving through rain in Australia in S2.  That was the basis for a funny edit.  Wil was like, "As long as I've got you Tara, I've got sunshine!" Cut to them driving through the pouring rain!

I don't think they halt production for mere rain.  They couldn't possibly halt production every single time rain is in the forecast.  They have filming permits lined up for the whole Race all of which have limited dates and times allowed for them to film at certain locations.  They have pit stop locations reserved and booked for a certain date.  They have the production's (minus the individual team camera crews) airline tickets all reserved in advance before the Race starts.  It's bad enough when they are forced to stop an extra day like during the airline workers' one day walkout in Morocco in Season 3.  It causes a whole domino effect and becomes a logistics nightmare.

The irony about the Tara & Wil rain shower scene was that it, as well as a brief overnight shower in Sydney, were the only two times in that whole Season 2 they didn't have brilliant sunshine throughout.  Really stuck out as a result.  Also about heat?  Season 2 featured a detour option on the world's hottest golf course in Australia.  That day was described by Tara as "hotter than an oil driller's ass in Texas" so yeah plenty of hot days on the Race too.  It's the whole wide world, not a sport held in an air conditioned gym after all.

There has been plenty of rain down the years I remember.  I just assume if it is raining way too hard it is pretty impossible for the camera crews to get decent shots what with the raindrops spattering up their lens endlessly.  But showers they can handle pretty well.  First one I remember was the third episode ever -- Leg 3 of Season 1 -- when the teams sleeping outside in Paris at the ferris wheel clue site over night waiting for it to open got rained on.  (So did the Frats at the tea shop FF site, "Good night, John boy").

Season 4 filmed in Europe during early winter and the results were pretty much endless rain and/or snow or at the very least heavy gray-leadened skies pretty much the whole time.  The NFL Wives got stuck in a rain-soaked muddy field.  I remember endless raincoats being worn that season.  A bad season complete with bad weather.

I remember lots of raincoats on TAR over the years and lots of times Phil stood at the mat holding an umbrella over his head as he happily issued forth wisdom and eliminations.

As for weather stopping a task.  It stopped one of the detour options one season in Alaska.  Forget which one.  Thinking it might be the only season they had a grandpa/grandson team on it maybe.  One detour option involved going up in a small bush plane but the weather didn't cooperate.  Forget if it was heavy fog (think so) or maybe high winds.  The detour clue actually did say that option was "weather permitting" so that leads me to believe they probably have that disclaimer on clues a lot.

In other news, I hate entertainment industry endless "awards" shows period.  It's nauseating.  I thought no Sundays, no more C&W award show interruptions.  But now no show this coming Friday cause of a "Z" grade award show no one ever heard about nor wants to see?  During one of the best Races in years?  Grrrrrrr.

Edited by green
  • Love 1

In other news, I hate entertainment industry endless "awards" shows period.  It's nauseating.  I thought no Sundays, no more C&W award show interruptions.  But now no show this coming Friday cause of a "Z" grade award show no one ever heard about nor wants to see?  During one of the best Races in years?  Grrrrrrr.

If they don't keep giving themselves awards, who else will?  It's sort of like the school Sports Day where every kid gets a medal just for showing up.    How I'd like to see it:  "And the winner is..." (Tears envelope.) "Nobody!  Because the judges have decided that the nominees were universally awful!"

Unfortunately, the entertainment industry's voracious need for self-congratulatory back-patting, and their inexplicable certainty that we, the public, are just dying to witness it, means no TAR this week.  Grrr!

• Love 1

My best friend and I would've aced the opera detour.  Definitely seemed the easier choice, despite opera being intimidating to most people, because all they really had to do was match up the costumes on display with the singers they saw on stage and put them in the right order.  No actual knowledge of opera required.

Overall, this was a great leg.  Heck, even Brooke proved competent at something; she really smoked everyone else in the go carts.

As for weather stopping a task.  It stopped one of the detour options one season in Alaska.  Forget which one.  Thinking it might be the only season they had a grandpa/grandson team on it maybe.  One detour option involved going up in a small bush plane but the weather didn't cooperate.  Forget if it was heavy fog (think so) or maybe high winds.  The detour clue actually did say that option was "weather permitting" so that leads me to believe they probably have that disclaimer on clues a lot.

That wasn't TAR12.  It was TAR9.  One of the teams wanted to do the Detour, but the weather was bad.

• Love 1

My best friend and I would've aced the opera detour.  Definitely seemed the easier choice, despite opera being intimidating to most people, because all they really had to do was match up the costumes on display with the singers they saw on stage and put them in the right order.  No actual knowledge of opera required.

I thought that was a good design of a detour - the opera factor definitely intimidated people but the task was actually much easier and not subjective.

I wonder how much information they were given.  It seemed like the clue told them they would have to match up names and costumes.  After the first pass through, Robbie was lost, because he says he couldn't understand any of them.  He seemed to be under the impression that each singer was going to announce their name and opera and that they would have to remember it.  Then they got up to the costume room and realised that all of the names and operas were identified for them.  So I wonder if the clue made it seem harder than it was, because from what little description we were given, I too thought the same as Robbie, that somehow they would have to identify the character's name and opera.

It was Brooke that said of Robbie that he has a good memory, right?  He does seem smarter than he appears, he also did the sandwich memory task and seemed to do well.  I am liking this team more and more, they are funny.  Unfortunately that probably means they go out next.