Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E07: Pretty Fly For A Food Scientist

• Start Topic

I really dislike the cyclists. They are typical NYC liberal, hipsters who think they are so nice, cool and "open minded", and accuse everyone who dares to have different views and different likes from their own as being "mean", "square" and "judgmental". Their "funner than thou" attitude really grates on me.

(snip)

I found the cyclists comments and windshield drawing to be mean spirited and childish. Imagine if Jim had drawn a picture mocking another team?

I think calling Jim "no fun" was all in fun.

I didn't sense the least bit of malice or resentment.

Also, they're not obliged to like someone they're in a competition against. And have they tried to claim some kind of moral "open minded" high-ground? If so I didn't hear it. They said "we're from Brooklyn". Is being a pair of white girls from Brooklyn code-talk for "hipsters who claim they are more open minded than the rest of the world"? What I think is that they are a pair of smart asses from Brooklyn, and I'm not personally reading any more into it about their lives or beliefs than that.

I make smart ass comments here about people like the Dentists all of the time, but I won't claim moral superiority to them. That's how I'm seeing Kym and Allie. They're amusing themselves, but I haven't heard any component where they're claiming that they're better people. They're tongue in cheek, and I don't think that has to be to every viewer's taste. But for me it's fun to watch, because most of the time they're saying exactly what I'm thinking, but without the handicap that often comes along with teams like that (because those types are usually sucky racers).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 19

Liked how the scientists enthusiastically applauded after the opera performance! They really are "sweet" scientists. And they didn't whine or get mad about missing the art challenge - which I think they would have rocked- I agree it was a huge disadvantage to Maya to have to do the car race alone. She knocked off a ton of seconds when racing with others. But it helped them that it was a mostly taxi driven episode so they didn't have to rely on their navigation skills which is their Achilles Heel.

Edited by Packerbrewerbadger
  • Love 13

Misti really resembled Lisa Kudrow in this episode.

Misti needs to lay off the layers of caked on makeup she wears at all times, even in the wee hours.  Sometimes less (or none at all) is more.

Sicily, wow, I had no idea it would be that beautiful.  I loved the go-cart race up the hill and also the opera task.  Over all I found the episode to be enjoyable and very much worth staying home for on a Friday night.

• Love 3
Also, they're not obliged to like someone they're in a competition against. And have they tried to claim some kind of moral "open minded" high-ground? If so I didn't hear it. They said "we're from Brooklyn". Is being a pair of white girls from Brooklyn code-talk for "hipsters who claim they are more open minded than the rest of the world"? What I think is that they are a pair of smart asses from Brooklyn, and I'm not personally reading any more into it about their lives or beliefs than that.

I had the sense that it was all in good fun and without any true judgment or attempt to insult.  When the alleged insult you're writing on someone's car is an accusation of being "no-fun" that seems designed to be more than a little tongue-in-cheek.  They're cyclists, from Brooklyn, they  can sneeze better insults than that while calling your mother's lineage into question.   So I think they do actually like them, but I also agree with the notion that they are under no obligation to do so and disliking someone on the grounds of being overly serious is hardly claiming moral high ground, unless silliness = morality.  In which case, church must have changed a friggin' lot since I attended it as a child.  I don't remember any rubber chickens.  

Jim can be a little hard on the eye(s) because I keep expecting one of those orbs of his to suddenly go free-range on us at any moment, but he seems like a good human being and it may just be me, but when I'm dentist shopping,  sense of humor and ability to goof around is absolutely not my priority.  Able to stay on task entirely until the job is done with attention to detail: sign me up.  Although the eye thing would freak me out a tiny bit the first time I met the guy, it isn't a deal-breaker for me because all I really care about in a dentist is skill.  They could be disembodied blog of viscous goo and as long as nothing hurts me, I say bring on the goo.  

This was the first leg in a long time where I was fervently hoping for a non-elimination leg.  Sure, Brooke can pack her vocal cords and go on home any old time, but she can be at least a little amusing (to me) the look on her face when the opera singers all sang in turn was one that I found hilarious.  She was stunned into actually not whining aloud.  It was amazing.  She truly looked gobsmacked and I almost didn't blame her because of the "Holy hell, how in the world are we supposed to figure that out??"  She's a pain in the butt, but she really seemed to believe that the race assigned them a task that required being entirely fluent in another language.  

I like Kym and Alli and I like the dentists.  Heck, sometimes I even like the wrestlers when they are goofing off together.   Basically I like everyone that's left and it's because they all have the same trait:  Neither starts to savage their partner when things go wrong.  Even Brooke just whines like crazy at fate, vs. berating Robbie.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 8

From the recap:

"The morning's first destination is Villa Costanza, where the Roadblock involves racing go-karts up a mountain, not stealthily leaving behind a fur hat or transporting a Frogger machine without unplugging it as you might have guessed."

That made me do a spit-take, also because when Maya had to follow the pace car back to the start I said "Well, I hope he doesn't zoom ahead at 90 miles an hour and lose her!"

I love the cyclists. I think they are hilarious and snarky and aren't making fun of the dentists for being from the South or Jesus-y or anything else that could be construed as "closed minded". And face it, Alli's impression of Jim was spot-on. 

• Love 2

Honestly, this is the best season of the amazing race in a long while. At the end of last season, I was seriously considering not watching anymore because it had become so boring. This season has a fantastic cast, great destinations, And great challenges. It's too bad nobody is watching it. I was really hoping that it will be non-elimination too because I really like everybody left. I love that we have two hyper dominant teams and not just one like usually happens. It makes the show a lot more fun to watch.

• Love 4

It's unusual at this point in the season in that I don't hate any of the teams.  

1) Jim & Misti: I find Jim to be a bit much sometimes in his talk but his actions - in particular how he's behaved with locals and other teams and his wife, has been courteous and polite. He's competitive but doesn't let that cloud his judgement.  For example when Kym (or was it Alli?) tried and succeeded in passing him on the go-kart race.  Some hypercompetitive people see red at that moment and do stupid things or lose control of their mouths but Jim let it go and concentrated on making time.  

Jim is such a distinctive character that I still don't have a read on Misti.  

2) Kym & Ally:   They are clever, quick-witted and good racers.  I thought their poking fun at the dentists was pretty mild and low on the nasty-meter.  

3) Amy & Maya:  They are not huge "out there" personalities like the Wrestlers, instead they quietly get the job done.  Fortunately in this episode, they didn't have to do much navigation.  I think that the lack of competition on Maya's first go-kart race hurt her first trip but she didn't whine about it.  Instead she  hustled to get into the second race and really pushed to be behind Brooke.  I wish Amy and Maya didn't join up with Brooke and Robbie because I wanted to see how long it would've taken the Wrestlers to figure out they left a spot blank.  

4) Brooke & Robbie:  Sometimes their mugging is a bit much but I think that's who they are.  Some folks are just huge extroverts which is why it's good they went into careers of  pro-wrestling and not library science.   I don't think they are brainiacs by any means but I don't know if they are all that dumb.  For all their goofiness, they've actually completed their tasks in good time.  I think we all have dumb thoughts - times when we have brain cramps and get stupid about simple stuff.  Most people hold these thought in their head but B & R's thoughts flow out of their mouths without any holding back.  

5) Adam and Bethany:  They seem like nice people, have good heads on their shoulders, and can handle stress pretty well.  I really like that in this episode,  there was a lot less talk (narrative & talking heads) about how well Bethany's doing without her arm.  I I'd rather watch her be amazing than be told she's amazing by Adam and the other teams.    

6)  Tim and Te Jay:  I find them a bit whiny but so far it's been low level.  I like them well enough.

• Love 2

The reason I said that Jim could possibly be no fun is because didn't The Cyclist tell a story that they were on the bus with other teams and they were having a good time and doing silly things and one of them said that Jim just sat there with a look on his face and they did the look. It seemed to be a story when the group were all hanging together and not racing. 

Jim mildly snarks on Maya being a Pollyanna about how the tannery smells and he's the worst person ever. Cyclists make fun of his eyes, which appear to many of us to be that way because of a medical condition, and they are OMG SO FUNNY. Okay then.

The cyclists weren't being at all good-natured when they were making fun of Jim and Misti. They repeatedly and sarcastically said, "they're our FAVORITE team" followed by an eyeroll. And then they had the nerve to call Jim "a little nasty" right before one of them bugs her eyes out and the other draws a picture of a goggle-eyed face on the car he was driving. I haven't seen Jim be nasty to anyone; I can't say the same of Kym and Alli. The cyclists are smug, think they're a lot more adorable than they actually are, are constantly jockeying for attention, and are disrespectful to the locals. The goat song from last week was rude as hell. And FFS they need to stop kissing strangers on the face. A person has to be incredibly full of herself to think that would be okay. They're good racers so they're probably not going anywhere for a while, but I'd be happy to see them gone sooner rather than later.

• Love 11
Cyclists make fun of his eyes, which appear to many of us to be that way because of a medical condition, and they are OMG SO FUNNY.

I actually think Jim seems like a nice guy and I do think that he pretty clearly has something going on with his thyroid, which is what usually causes that pop-eyed look.  That said, Jim's also made a bunch of personal choices, as has Misti, to bring their appearances to the forefront of almost any interaction.  The man is sporting a spray tan that is downright startling.  It looks like he has hairplugs and (as befits his profession) blinding white choppers.  Misti, who also seems like a thoroughly decent and kind human being, wears a veritable cosmetics shop at all times, looks like she may have purchased a body part or two herself and also has a spray tan.  

I'm not actually one to be cruel to anyone's appearance, but when people make choices that are very much about the superficial "Look at me, look at me!" and then go into dentistry -- where a lot of money is made in cosmetic dentistry -- that is still more appearance centered, then they are very much invested with putting their appearance at the forefront of an interaction and people might actual comment on it.  

I think that's fair game.  Yeah, the guy has a thyroid issue, a spray tan and what looks to be a healthy gym habit too.  People are going to look at him, he knows it and apparently courts it.  I'm not saying he should wear an eyepatch, but essentially it's Mission Accomplished there for him, because most of his personal choices are about "Look at me! Take note!" ...and people have. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 7

I don't object to making fun of someone's appearance. I just think it's ridiculous for Kym and Allie to claim that someone else is "nasty" in the same breath that they're mocking a physical feature he has no control over.

• Love 4

Jim mildly snarks on Maya being a Pollyanna about how the tannery smells and he's the worst person ever. Cyclists make fun of his eyes, which appear to many of us to be that way because of a medical condition, and they are OMG SO FUNNY. Okay then.

Pretty much.  Not changing that stance, either.

• Love 1

I don't object to making fun of someone's appearance. I just think it's ridiculous for Kym and Allie to claim that someone else is "nasty" in the same breath that they're mocking a physical feature he has no control over.

Well if accuracy is key here, I believe they made fun of HIS physical feature but called his wife nasty. Edited by Kromm
I just think it's ridiculous for Kym and Allie to claim that someone else is "nasty" in the same breath that they're mocking a physical feature he has no control over.

I didn't actually think that Kym (or was it Alli?) was talking about anything other than Jim's appearance.  I don't think either meant "He's nasty!" as in "he's mean-spirited, prone to being unkind, what a nasty man!"  I think they meant his appearance, not his demeanor.  I could be wrong, but that's often what "nasty" is used to indicate .

I guess part of the reason I assumed that is that whatever else can said about the guy, he seems to be a kind person.  

Edited by stillshimpy

What a fun episode! The go-kart racing looked like a blast and both detours were interesting. (Who would have thought watching the racers paint and listen to opera would make a good episode?) And the setting? Breathtaking.

I think the dentists and cyclists are enjoying the rivalry. The trash talking turned light and good natured once they got to know each other better, after sharing the cab and their ESM opportunity. They all seem to thrive with being neck and neck with another competitive team which is why they keep coming out on top. As long as no one resorts to any dirty tricks I think their respect for each other will continue to grow.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

I don't think she was making fun of Jim's appearance, just his over-whitened teeth and over-intense, judgey, sour faces he makes.  

Who thinks his wide eyes are from a medical condition?  I've never even heard of such a thing.  

The guys chauffeuring the carters back down the mountain in the classic cars seemed very enthusiastic, for the most part.  The driver of the maroon saloon with the black roof and the suicide doors (#28) in particular seemed very proud of his car!  I couldn't place it.  Anybody know what it was?

Maybe a mid-'50's Fiat 1100?

I don't think she was making fun of Jim's appearance, just his over-whitened teeth and over-intense, judgey, sour faces he makes.

That's exactly what I mean.  I don't think that when she said "nasty" she was referring to his eyes.  There are at least three other personal choices the man has made in his appearance that really draw focus.  A spray tan that looks about as natural as the skin-tone on those old Energizer* family figures.  Teeth that, again, he's making that choice to take them from white to "Whoa...that's some glare there..."  He's worked out to the point that it's gone from fit to again, "Do you think maybe you've taken that a bit far?!  People don't actually want to think their dentist can kick their asses quite that much."   Then there's the choice with the hair.  

So in that particular moment, four things come to mind before his eyes, facial features or anything else he isn't actively choosing.  It's the stuff he actively chose as part of his appearance that is a little less than aesthetically pleasing.  They both look sort of vaguely shellacked, but whereas Misti just looks like someone who never leaves the house without  sixty minute process to get everything just-so, Jim sort of took it into the realm of unnatural everything. 

*It turned out to be the Duracell Family and I take it back to an extent, because they are far worse than I remembered them being.  Eek.  

Edited by stillshimpy

I don't think they called Misti nasty.  I think I would have remembered that, because she seems like a real sweetheart.

Kym:  They... have definitely not been our favourite at all.  'Cause, I think they're our biggest competition, and they had the safe-pass from the very beginning, and then they got the non-elimination round.  So, like, they've got nine lives.

Alli:  And Jim is a little nasty.

Personally, I continue to like both Misti and Jim, even though I can't quite get behind a couple of their cosmetic choices, that's not a barrier to liking them.  

I also like the Cyclists, because it's just not an either/or situation as far as I'm concerned and some trash-talking will occur in a competition.  That barely rated as litter, let alone trash to me  

I like how competent Kym and Alli seem to be and I like that whereas Jim and Misti seem to be one thing, at first glance, they improve upon more exposure.  It's neat aspect and I like it when negative first impressions are dashed.  In this episode several teams were under pressure and stayed positive with a minimum of sniping.  The College Sweethearts and the Scientists seemed to struggle the most.  

As for Jim being joyless about the whole deal, he looked thrilled with their first-place prize and they all seemed to have a good time on that hill.  

Now I'm going to confess something sort of mortifying, but when Brooke isn't actively whining, I like her just fine.  This entire episode just made me happy.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 8

So sorry he wasn't going to zoom past other drivers on a curvy, hilly road just because you whined at him to.

I was actually a little surprised all the drivers weren't trying to zoom past each other. Or maybe they were, and that's why they couldn't. Everybody was driving too fast. I don't know that I would want to tell an Italian driver to drive faster, although maybe they're different in Sicily than on the mainland (I know that's not what it's called, but you know what I mean, right?) -- or at least in Rome. The drivers were scary when we were there. It was best not to look out the windows.

• Love 1

This was such a fun episode, and the best cast that they've had on TAR in a while. I really like everybody - Brooke won me over when she realized that Maya had to rerun her go-cart leg and was so giddy about it. Of course she was! it was proof that her team had caught up despite a disappointing morning of taxi tragedy and I've had danced a jig.

I'm not watching this show to see everybody perform some sort of hyperaware good behavior for the benefit of the camera, I just ask that teams don't act like gigantic jerkfaces or worse (looking at you, Jonathan,) Which is also why I'm fine with the Bikers and the Dentists - whatever competition they have, it's clearly not too serious, and they are perfectly capable of working together without problems. Jim and his wife are not people I'd be best friends with, and the bodybuilder aspect is not one I particularly admire, but they're nice enough. The Bikers are a little bit obnoxious with the "Take time from the exhausting race to party in the street, dude!" business, but whatever, they're fine and funny also. I'm so glad the show can have such a fun season so late in its life.

• Love 3

I agree with everyone that this is the best season in years. There's only two people on it that I don't like Jim and Brooke but I don't outright hate them compared to the last couple seasons where I was lucky if there were two people I liked. I just think Brooke whines too much and Jim boasts too much. I love each country they traveled too so much I'm actually sadden when they leave. This episode was no different going to Sicily, there was painting and opera the beautiful mountain side. The only real nitpick is the Save instead of making the game more exciting it really does the opposite.

• Love 1

The only real nitpick is the Save instead of making the game more exciting it really does the opposite.

I so agree with you!

You know, this is one of the best races in recent years, with good racers who behave decently towards each other, other teams, and the public.  The challenges are pretty good, the tiny little gems like Phil popping up from time to time mid-leg, like the the little party laid on by production this leg, are all great.  Even the racers stopping to enjoy the sunset in, of all places, the airport.  (Best sunset I've ever seen was from a hospital ward, so with sunsets, you never know.) Just a great race.  Then just as I'm getting invested in how the various teams are doing... I remember that none of it matters -- thanks to the Save, Jim & Misti are a shoe-in for victory.

• Love 4

I want Brooke and her boyfriend or whatever he is gone.  She's annoying as hell and whines about everything.  And how stupid do you have to be to just stand there waiting for a cab to come?  Did they not notice that everyone else had scattered?  Stupid people.

• Love 1

My dislike of the wrestlers are only activated while watching them instead of even in discussion like say, Brenchel in their initial season. I think they were pretty proactive ie running around in trying to get a taxi before the editing monkeys gave us that shot of them being stationary out of exhaustion or waiting to cross the road or something. I get out of breath after not even two minutes' worth of running at full speed.

At this point I think I won't be disappointed with whichever team winning as much as the tepid top 3 last season although I favour a team or two quite strongly. As long as there's no majorly over dramatic breakdown from any of them. Here's looking to you Jim and Brooke

I've only watched a couple of seasons, so please excuse the ignorance.

At a couple of points during the past two segments, the racers have commented on how hot it was.  Does CBS ever show on the broadcast, or post somewhere on their website, what the weather conditions were?  I think it would give a bit of extra flavor for the challenges they might be facing.

Also, I don't remember there being segments in the rain or snow, but they must have happened over the years, right?  The go cart race probably would have to be cancelled if it was too wet (although I'm sure that's not such a risk in Sicily).  Do they have contingency plans for unsafe conditions?

Thanks for filling me in.  I'll add that this season is so much better than the last couple -- I find it surprising that this round of teams is filled with interesting, likeable characters, while the All Stars had almost nobody I wanted to watch -- you'd think for a banner show like the last one, they'd try harder to select good teams.

• Love 1

I don't live in America and used to watch TAR on AXN before broadband and after that, I just do 98% of series watching on my laptop so I can't answer how CBS handled that. As for tasks set in rain and snow, I can only recall slight drizzle when Jon and Kelly were on the beach in season 4 and during the toy rubber frog search in muddy fields in season 14. There have been plenty of challenges with snow since season 1 as the show has been using Alaska as a destination a number of times over the years.

Snow challenges were usually constructed because of it instead of in spite of it. Other challenges that were affected by the weather that I can recall were again in season 14 when Margie passed out for a few seconds from heat stroke and season 22 when a few racers complained about the heat while performing a task on the beach in episodes 1 and 2.

Strong winds have meddled in season 18 when the racers were asked to recreate a trailer home of some sort and they just had to work around the strong wind blowing everything they have placed by putting rocks on the props. Similar thing in season 19 when they had to set up chairs and umbrellas on the beach. I think the teams got through that by partly burying the chairs and umbrella legs into the sand.

Then in season 23 Amy and Jason attempted to win the Fast Forward by doing a challenge with heights (I can't quite recall whether it was tight rope crossing or bungee jumping) and there were strong winds that made the task impossible. The guys in charge of the challenge advised them to wait for at least 10-15 minutes. I don't remember whether they waited or not but they definitely did not perform the task upon professional advice and went back to the regular detour/roadblock

• Love 1

Perhaps because there was no elimination?

There wasn't an animal at the mat in leg#1 (greeter was a woman in carnival costume) or leg#2 (Winston Churchill).  I don't think the memory question can be about pitstop animals.

At a couple of points during the past two segments, the racers have commented on how hot it was.  Does CBS ever show on the broadcast, or post somewhere on their website, what the weather conditions were?  I think it would give a bit of extra flavor for the challenges they might be facing.

Very rare.  Some sites who spill spoilers like Reality Fan Forum are able to nail down the exact day a leg was done so from there it's a easy look up as to what the weather was like.  The weather conditions only become mentioned when it affects a task is being attempted and there was no time to plan for a back up.  

I've only watched a couple of seasons, so please excuse the ignorance.

At a couple of points during the past two segments, the racers have commented on how hot it was.  Does CBS ever show on the broadcast, or post somewhere on their website, what the weather conditions were?  I think it would give a bit of extra flavor for the challenges they might be facing. [snip]

As to your general seasons question, I don't have anything to add to innominate's great answer.  However, I do think the specific comments in this episode were about the painting task, which seemed to take place in the highest part of a building that probably wasn't air conditioned and confined the racers to a teeny tiny space.  I'd guess that the opera house was air conditioned, or at least a lot more comfortable since the teams weren't cramped into close quarters.  The heat was just another variable that made the painting task a lot harder on the teams than the costume one.

On a related note, I enjoyed the fact that neither judge seemed to speak to the teams in English when giving feedback and verdicts.  To me, it added another layer of challenge, especially for the painting teams trying to get specific instructions. 

• Love 1

When I saw the episode title, I was really hoping it meant we'd finally get to see more focus on the scientists. But no, they were still the least-featured team. I think I like them, but then I can't think of what they've done in particular to earn that, other than I just like the idea of them, and their intro was nice.

I couldn't believe how mellow T&T and B&A were when they were the last teams at the painting detour. I guess they really believed the opera challenge would be harder, but still-- they didn't even seem to consider that they might be last.

Does CBS ever show on the broadcast, or post somewhere on their website, what the weather conditions were?

Not often, and usually only as illustration if teams specifically comment on it. That's part of the TAR thing: it's not a controlled environment, and while superfan obsessive spoiler junkies (naming no RFFs) have got pretty good at working out what may or may not have influenced things on the day, the rule of thumb is that it's the same for everyone.

On a related note, I enjoyed the fact that neither judge seemed to speak to the teams in English when giving feedback and verdicts.  To me, it added another layer of challenge, especially for the painting teams trying to get specific instructions.

Me too. Who knows whether that was just for the broadcast edit, but I'd like to think that TPTB wanted it that way, and were happy for the judges to use gestures but not to break into English. Or perhaps they picked judges that didn't speak English for that reason.

How did the surfers get an Express pass?

The side challenge at the end of the London/Oxford leg that gave teams the choice of going for the EP or heading straight to the Pit Stop. The side-challenge was no more than a five-minute jog, so the surfers were able to snag it and win the leg as well.

Edited by etagloh
  • Love 1

I must have missed an earlier episode (or maybe just forgot) the dentists got the Save by being first on the first leg, right? How did the surfers get an Express pass?

Correct with the dentists. The surfers nabbed the EP during the London leg. After the boat punting in Oxford, they went to Christchurch College and was given bowlers and an umbrella. The EP instruction to Bear Inn was found when they open their umbrellas

I'm still rooting for the underdogs mainly, so it blows the suspense a bit to have the top team or the top two teams way out in front of the pack for several legs.  

I was scared for Adam and Bethany... using the Express Pass could have been a good idea, since it was awfully risky to stick with the painting. The Food Scientists went to the other location, completed it and got to the Pit Stop and the painters were still working.  I was worried for the Food Scientists as well, since they had to switch to the other detour, but it turned out for the best, since the opera task was much easier.  It was risky for them to work with the Wrestlers though, since they could have been racing for last as well.  Their clapping at the opera performance was so cute.  T&T were last, though they didn't really make any major mistakes in this episode... there just weren't many opportunities to falter or to overtake overall.  So I was very glad it was a non-elimination leg.

I didn't find the Bikers funny.  Making fun of other people behind their back is something you learn not to do as a child.  Considering yourself more "fun" is just pretentious and they come across as a little full of themselves.  Granted, they weren't really being malicious but that's really no excuse, as I regularly tell elementary school-aged kids.  I suppose this is why reality shows are popular, though.  I did like that one of them said they could relate to Jim's competitiveness.  Both these two top teams are very strong navigators and racers, though.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

The nagging question I'm left with from this episode is:

Do people really get in fights and not talk to each other on vacation?

Yes! I was transported to some unpleasant memories bickering with my brother when we were on family holidays way back when. Granted we were just children then so I don't know about Jim's reference which I assumed was in regards with adult married couples

• Love 1
DAMMIT! I forgot it was on AGAIN!

I've yet to forget/miss an eppy since my Tivo takes care of those kind of issues, but about the last month I haven't been able to sit down and watch it at the regular time, it just feels unnatural. I was a big proponent of a steady Friday time instead of a "when will it come on this week?" and while I appreciate that I just can't get up for watching it on a Friday.

And about this week, yes I agree with Alapaki. If you find yourself not talking to someone you have gone on vacation with for days you've picked either the wrong vacation or the wrong vacation partner.

Edited by Wandering Snark
The nagging question I'm left with from this episode is: Do people really get in fights and not talk to each other on vacation?

Jim said fight AND not talk for two days.  I have actually fought with people on vacation before... it can happen since on vacation, you spend 24/7 with them, which is usually not the case on a regular day even if you live together.  I wasn't married to the people I fought with, though LOL.

Brooke and Robbie have to be playing characters with that, "Where's Sicily?" thing, cause once you're a teen and up, you should know where Sicily is. Ridiculous. I know they're playing characters because wrestlers travel all around the world, so wrestlers are somewhat familiar with an island such as Sicily.

I don't know much about wrestling but unless there is some wrestling superstar that travels some abroad I seriously doubt that.   I imagine 99% of all professional wrestlers don't travel much outside of their state or local region doing the local circuit thing.  I have never equated wrestlers with international travel ever.  Love to be proved wrong but I doubt that most of them get further afield then a once-in-a-lifetime vacation in Cancun.

Well this Sicily leg helps to cleanse the horror from that locale put there during TAR9's "Two Totally Obnoxious Young Male Teams From Hell" season.  What a nice, pleasant place Sicily has become without the totally fake, "poser" and camera hog so-called "hippie" team and the yucky, gross, bratty frat boys.  I like all the teams here this time around.  Night and day.  Great episode with wonderful scenery, interesting tasks and a kind of an old school fake-out on the detour choices making the opera one sound way harder than it turned out to be in the write-up about it.

I'm fine with all the teams this season.  The Miami women were annoying but could have served as some entertaining light-weight villains and the Survivor couple was boring as anything and probably the weakest link in the entire cast but they weren't walking horrors.  But other than that it's been a great old school cast.  The type that made me fall in love with this show at the beginning.  In fact this is a more pleasant cast then even some earlier ones  Way way better than TAR4's. 

Loving the Cyclists.  Really enjoy their humor which is much much milder than our beloved Frats of Season 1 so I see nothing negative at all in them.  They bring good humor, joyful enthusiasm, language skills and a competitive A game all in one package.  Never heard of bulging Popeye eyes being a disease.  More an effect of plastic surgery sometimes which is what I figure given the Dentists' obsession with body enhancements.  Anyway, hard not to make fun of a Popeye look and I seriously don't think anyone would think it was some condition unless they were into medical stuff or knew someone with that disease.

Jim is like a Colin 2.0 with his uber intense racing skills and his "I'm the greatest Racer ever" confessionals.  But he lacks a personal vendetta against his own version of Mirna & Charla.  So bring on the ox!  The edits these teams have gotten early own let alone the anvils dropping in this episode say they are both in the final three to me.  So that leaves team number three up for grabs.

Early on it looked like the Surfers would be a no brainer for that slot.  But now not so much a given.  I think the Wrestlers have as much a chance at making that last spot it coming down more to luck on the latter legs.  Surfers have the express pass but as others explained here (thanks for the explaining), it has to be used next leg or expires.  I agree with the posters that suggested using it on the RB since it would save an extra one ahead for Adam if needed.

T n' T (trademark Trammel & Talicia from "We're number 10!" chicken dance fame - credit where it is due) and the Scientists keep bleeding too much time on driving themselves anywhere.  It would take a minor miracle for either of these teams to make the final three because of that.  Too bad cause it would be fun if the official "nerd team" broke through to the final three especially since the first "nerd team" (talking about how both teams were cast for a "type") got eliminated in Sicily back in TAR9.  It could become a Revenge of the Nerds theme.

And I don't mind that two teams are tending to dominate the Race.  This isn't a level playing field high school track course.  This is a freaking race around the world where cabbie luck, bad directions and delayed flights can throw a whammy at any team at any time.  That is part of what makes the AMAZING race that amazing.  It isn't a sporting event; it is more like a quest/adventure with competition thrown into the mix.  And in a quest it isn't always the big bad wizard but the little orc hiding behind a rock you didn't see that can do you in.

Only thing I don't like about this season is all the artificial crap -- Save, Express Pass, U Turns and other trashy reality show stuff that have crept into TAR over the seasons.  Bring back the FF on every leg but the last two and use some strategy again and not hand-me-outs like the first two and affecting another team negatively like the latter.  Let the Racers race and let the world itself decide if unexpected stuff crops up.  (Also don't like the "into the flight's city and rural equals a few miles outside town" cookie cutter stuff either.  Bring back the 12 hour bus rides.).

But given that, this season is still delightfully old school.  Credit to the casting department.  I've picked on them in the past so it seems only fair to praise the job they did this season.  And, of course, to the Racers they cast who have proven to be wonderful to watch this season.  Good job!

Edited by green
  • Love 1

I don't know much about wrestling but unless there is some wrestling superstar that travels some abroad I seriously doubt that.   I imagine 99% of all professional wrestlers don't travel much outside of their state or local region doing the local circuit thing.  I have never equated wrestlers with international travel ever.  Love to be proved wrong but I doubt that most of them get further afield then a once-in-a-lifetime vacation in Cancun.

Brooke was employed by the WWE which is the biggest wrestling promotion out there and they travel overseas all the time being in Europe, Asia, Australia, to name a few places. So she's had some international travel experience being with them 

Brooke is obnoxious and I'll probably never like her but I have a soft spot for Robbie sometimes, like when he wears his neck pillow off the plane...through the airport....into the street looking for a taxi...and in part of the taxi ride. Bonus points that it was all akimbo on his neck. But otherwise they can go any time.

I find Kym to be exhausting and not very likeable. She never stops talking. Never. And I thought maybe I could like Alli in spite of Kym but Alli has shown some unpleasant aspects of her personality so I'm just waiting for their elimination.

And they made me take Jim and Misti's side and for that I can never forgive them.

Adam and Bethany are still my team, I love them and was so nervous when the chyron showed that the wrestlers and Amy and Maya were third and fourth place.

• Love 1