Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

possibilities

I thought at first, when Christy said she couldn't cut off her relationship with Bonnie, it was going to come back to Bonnie's the one who has the apartment... which would make Christy and Roscoe homeless again.

I like how they've stuck with Violet's moving out-- I'm sure we'll see her again, but having her be missing for a while is good continuity and builds the tension.

When they were sitting around asking if Bonnie had been through what they'd all been through, I thought it was a bit unfair to not bring up Alvin dying as a significant stressor.

But this was a great episode. I continue to be amazed that it's on CBS, with Chuck Lorre at the helm. And that the ratings are decent.

• Love 3

This show has always been surprisingly good/funny for a CBS/Chuck Lorre show. One of the things I enjoy the most is how female heavy it is. I felt the same way about 2 Broke Girls but that got mean funny pretty quickly and then just mean. This show is geniunly funny with a lot of gallows humor which is kinda my humor anyway.

I loved the cat joke that ran through it. My name is Mittens and I'm a drug addict.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Glad that they didn't spend too many episode dragging it out with Bonnie hiding her relapse. I'm sure Christy is hoping that the night in jail will give Bonnie some perspective, but I don't think this is her bottom yet. 

When they were sitting around asking if Bonnie had been through what they'd all been through, I thought it was a bit unfair to not bring up Alvin dying as a significant stressor. 

I didn't think that was fair either. I know they were only together for a short time, and before that she hated his guts, but I would argue that what Bonnie is going through is more difficult to come to terms with than what the others are going through with. Marjorie's cancer seems to be under control, and Regina went to jail through her own actions. The sudden loss of a loved one can seem so random and senseless, and give you the feeling that life is out of your control.

Edited by mstar1125

It wasnt supposed to be fair. It was supposed to be "we all have pain and have been through shit" that doesn't make you special tough love. It's the kind of things you hear a lot in AA and the like. Yea the guy you loved your whole life died....sorry to hear that, I had cancer and I didn't drink.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
(edited)

I agree with the tough love part of the conversation. I might have my scenes out of order, but I thought they had the "what we've been through" part of the conversation when they were still in denial that she had relapsed, and were saying she was uncharacteristically cheerful. So for me at that point it was more about doubting why she'd have anything to be upset about (which seemed like a retcon) more than a conversation about how whatever you're going through you still have to act responsible.

I think they are doing an amazingly fabulous job at hitting soooo many points about addiction and recovery, it's unbelievably refreshing. I just think that to say Bonnie had not been going through anything difficult was a bit off-base (not that it would excuse her behavior, either way).

Another thing I loved was how Bonnie so masterfully deflected the conversation about her pill use by accusing Christy of being hypocritical after C had gambled away so much money. That plus the whole weeping over how crushed she was over "I thought we had repaired our relationship! I feel so betrayed!" Oh woe is me! It's not like one thing had anything whatsoever to do with the other, as though if C fucked up then it wasn't possible for B to also do so. Or if C and B had repaired their relationship, C should somehow be unable to see what is going on around her. But it hit C's guilt and residual co-dependence at just the right angle to make her back off and feel bad instead of staying focused on the relevant issue of the moment.

I loved it not only because it's typical and was portrayed so well, but also because it shows how Bonnie knows exactly what she is doing, and is totally in control of her choices. So often, addicts are thought of as being out of control. But it takes deliberate action and possession of yourself to manipulate other people. Yes, she's lost her grip in one sense and her reality is distorted. But no, she is not at every moment too illucid to make conscious choices and she chose to attack and undermine her daughter in a very calculated way that you just can't do if you are truly blotto.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3

Another thing I loved was how Bonnie so masterfully deflected the conversation about her pill use by accusing Christy of being hypocritical after C had gambled away so much money. That plus the whole weeping over how crushed she was over "I thought we had repaired our relationship! I feel so betrayed!" Oh woe is me! It's not like one thing had anything whatsoever to do with the other, as though if C fucked up then it wasn't possible for B to also do so. Or if C and B had repaired their relationship, C should somehow be unable to see what is going on around her. But it hit C's guilt and residual co-dependence at just the right angle to make her back off and feel bad instead of staying focused on the relevant issue of the moment.

Bonnie was doing everything she could to manipulate Christy - but my take on it was that Christy recognized Bonnie's behavior and saw through it. Which led to her grabbing Bonnie's purse the second Bonnie left the room, to look for the tranquilizers.

She saw through it, but wasn't confident enough to stick to her guns about it. She immediately gave up the purse when Bonnie came for it, and the next day she was still kind of going along. It was only when she had their friends there that she had the confidence to continue the confrontation. I think she knew, but at the same time (and I'm not criticizing her; I think she's come awesomely far and it's very understandable), she was intimidated enough by Bonnie's manipulation to not be able to continue the confrontation without support. I think that's very common. Someone will know something but not be able to act on it until they get external validation from someone else, because there's still that wobbliness inside, that part of you that says: "am I crazy?"

• Love 2

I understand why Christy was acting the way she was this episode, but I still thought she was being a brat. I'm glad that she had a revelation about it by the end, but it's unfortunate that she had to revert to one of her addictions to get there. I would think that someone like Christy, who's been through the recovery process, would know how difficult it is and not want anyone to go through it alone, but I guess it's different when it's your mom and she is supposed to be the "adult", the "mom", the one who takes care, not the one who gets taken care of. 

So, where's Roscoe? Permanently staying with Baxter and his girlfriend? That seems like it would be for the best. 

It pissed me off that they had "Crusty" (still think that's too funny) go back to gambling....Did I hear her say she spent 800 bucks? She must make some really good loot working at that restaurant.....I also got kinda tired of her being downright mean and nasty to Bonnie....A little over the top for me, but I nonetheless enjoyed this...

I think Roscoe spends the night with Baxter and his GF from time to time....

I continue to be amazed that it's on CBS, with Chuck Lorre at the helm.

I have to believe that Chuck Lorre has minimal involvement with this show, or perhaps none at all beyond having co-created it. 

• Love 1

They brought back Phil Hartman Jesus. . .and did NOT overdo and ruin it!!!!

For the 75th time, I am pleased and surprised by this little show.

Someone at Chuck Lorre Productions has hypnotized Chuck into forgetting all about Mom.

I loved the this episode and thought Christys behavior was right on the mark. She has been through a lifetime of her mother on and off the wagon and her mother falls off again and then gets babied after her bad behavior. I know Binnie is a fan favorite but I love Christy in this so much. I thought it was telling that she only fell into one of her happy places and she let the booze pass her by. I guess that is progress.

• Love 1

I can't pinpoint exactly what changed, but after finding her pointless and annoying early in the season, now I kinda love Jill.  

Is anyone else surprised they haven't gone back to the well of Christy's abusive ex/Violet's father yet?

• Love 2

When Marjorie didn't answer the phone, was anyone else worried that she was dead?

It was the first thing I thought of, and my heart quickly sank.......Glad that it was not the case.......

I liked Violet this episode and the scene at her boyfriend's house was funny. Best line was by the boyfriend /fiancée paraphrasing: "20 years of therapy and 2 hours with the two of you made me love my mother."

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

I even wondered if Marjorie's remission was a fake out, and that shows how cynical I've become, I guess. But this idea that her bf was taking her on a cruise... when we haven't met him? I just wondered if they were setting her up to die in private and off-screen without telling anyone. But this show keeps surprising me.

I think Violet is just looking for a sane adult, and it all finally made sense to me. It doesn't make her boyfriend any less creepy for being interested in her, but it makes her interest in him a lot more understandable to me. She's not just flattered by the attention, she's relieved by the stability.

Roscoe's innocence is such a contrast to everything else on the show. I wonder if the show will ever show what happens when he finally gets old enough to see things in a different way. They also haven't shown him to have any friends, and it would be interesting to see how he reacts to visiting a friend's house, where perhaps the other kids are completely shocked by things he says about his life, and he begins to have something to contrast with his own experience.

• Love 1

But this idea that her bf was taking her on a cruise... when we haven't met him?

We have, he's Christy and Bonnie's old landlord.  Remember, he asked to be introduced to Marjorie in exchange for knocking $50 off what Christy owed him.  And in a later episode, Marjorie mentioned he had been driving her to chemo.

FWIW, my reaction to the call was simply that Marjorie was sick of Christy and Bonnie's behavior and didn't want to deal with them, which was touched on later when the girls thought they hadn't been invited to the party.

• Love 1

FWIW, my reaction to the call was simply that Marjorie was sick of Christy and Bonnie's behavior and didn't want to deal with them, which was touched on later when the girls thought they hadn't been invited to the party.

I was worried it was a fakeout - that we were supposed to think she was giving them the cold shoulder, and then it would turn out she had died. Just when they thought she'd be fine! It seemed like the kind of melodramatic twist I've seen on TV too many times.

Fortunately, the show didn't sink to that level.

• Love 1

So what's Cristy's new job position at the restaraunt now that we know she makes more money? And how come she didn't think to move out before now?

• Love 1

candall: In fact, the most likely is that this show has the greatest share of Lorre's attention of the four he has/d on the air this year. It's the newest, and addiction material is where he lives himself (both because he's a sober alcoholic and because he's had to deal with the abuse problems of people like Brett Butler and Charlie Sheen). GRACE UNDER FIRE also showed he was pretty smart writing about single moms struggling to survive. Go back to the first couple of years of 2 1/2 MEN, and you'll find a sharply written show with a lot of heart and realism. Somewhere around year 3-4, shows get old, their creators get tired, and the incoming writers start writing an imitation of the original show, not the show it actually was.

Grtgzu: I believe Christy is now the manager, replacing her old boss.

(edited)

candall: In fact, the most likely is that this show has the greatest share of Lorre's attention of the four he has/d on the air this year. It's the newest, and addiction material is where he lives himself (both because he's a sober alcoholic and because he's had to deal with the abuse problems of people like Brett Butler and Charlie Sheen). GRACE UNDER FIRE also showed he was pretty smart writing about single moms struggling to survive. Go back to the first couple of years of 2 1/2 MEN, and you'll find a sharply written show with a lot of heart and realism. Somewhere around year 3-4, shows get old, their creators get tired, and the incoming writers start writing an imitation of the original show, not the show it actually was.

Okay, I retract.  I know hardly anything about Chuck Lorre and you make persuasive points. (I didn't even know he was involved with Grace Under Fire or any of the background situation--just that it was a likeable show, covering some new territory, and the cancellation surprised me.)

Edited by candall

On the other hand, Roseanne has railed against Chuck Lorre for years and says he was drunk most of the time he worked on her show. But I supposed one must consider the source.

(edited)

As someone who only dabbled in drugs but knows people who did more then dabble I can completely buy that at least someone on the show was an out of control alcoholic.  Yes a few things are "suspension of disbelief" and put there strictly for laughs like pain meds to a drug addict but the story itself worked for me on many levels.   I found the moments in that episode between mother and daughter incredibly well done.  Janney gets all the credit in this but Farris is brilliant in her roll.  

Okay, I retract.  I know hardly anything about Chuck Lorre and you make persuasive points. (I didn't even know he was involved with Grace Under Fire or any of the background situation--just that it was a likeable show, covering some new territory, and the cancellation surprised me.)

Chuck Lorre has made some questionable hiring decisions and for whatever reason has been deemed a misogynist by some.  Either it is because of 2-1/2 Men or because of the Grace Under Fire fiasco (which was not his fault).  Brett Butler was a female version of Charlie Sheen but without his clout and she got out of control and Lorre pulled the plug on her show.   

With Mom there seems to be no talent issue that I can see.  Both Janney and Farris like each other and the other women can be replaced more or less easily if any of them go bonkers.  The only issue I see is possible resentment from Farris that Janney is getting all the recognition but I doubt it will come to that.....or  I hope not.  

Edited by Chaos Theory

I just starting watching this show a  couple of months ago and ended up buying season 1 on Amazon because it doesn't seem to be showing up on reruns. I've seen about half of season 2 and I really like the combination of Anna Faris and Alison Janey on this show, they seem to really work well together.  Just about everything Alison says makes me laugh. It's realistic and so far, hasn't gotten negative despite some tough material, the characters seem to be moving forward and trying to do the best they can.  I'm very much looking forward to season 3 and hoping I can watch the rest of season 2 in reruns before it returns this fall.

• Love 1

Just started watching this show, and I really enjoyed season 1. I’m halfway through the funeral episode in season 2, and I don’t enjoy it. I haven’t liked season 2 as much in general.

Bonnie and Alvin’s Ex (forgot her name) are both hurting because of his horrible behavior. Watching them fight each other isn’t funny. I’m annoyed that the Ex was made into the “bad guy.” 

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2014 at 3:48 PM, Texasmom1970 said:

Nothing says funny like having to runaway in the middle of the night to a seedy hotel eith your kids because you can't pay the rent!

I think this was the episode I was watching the other day on the Paramount Ch.  Someone in the motel blew up their meth lab, thus blowing up the motel, and they all had to move in with Marjorie.  

This may have already been answered, but I thought Marjorie was living in an apartment complex, so how was she able to live with 20 cats in that small apartment and the management allowed it?  At first I thought she had a house, but if I remember well she was living in an apartment then.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Fiero425 said:

Just started watching if I happen to surf by! Never even heard of this show! Strange! Who knew Janney could be this funny? Last watched her in "West Wing!" ;-)

Ikr?  I came to it late also, maybe 3 or 4 months ago.  I last saw Allison in The Help as the mother of Emma Stone's character, even though I know she won an Oscar this year for BSA in I, Tonya, which I will not see due to the subject matter.  Tonya Harding needs to fade, for once and for all, into the sunset.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought Janney could be pretty funny in The West Wing.  It has a lot of humor. 

It was as real as it gets telling it like it is about the Presidency; more about the optics than substance proved by what's been going on of late! She was funny; the show well written and produced! I miss it thinking it was a "turning of the page" to politics as usual! It was worse and now....woof! Good luck Y'ALL! ;-)

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Fiero425 said:

Who knew Janney could be this funny?

Anyone who watched Drop Dead Gorgeous.  Or The West Wing.  Or Mr. Sunshine.  Or Primary Colors.  Or ...  Her comic timing is every bit on par with her dramatic chops, and I'm glad she has a successful sitcom at this stage in her career - it's an easy schedule for TV, so she's raking in big bucks with plenty of time to go win Oscars for other projects.  She toiled in obscurity for so long despite her immense talent, it really makes me happy that she has just kept on going since The West Wing finally put her on the map.  She's also someone who likes most people she works with, and who is almost always adored in return, so particularly with this show where it's a group of women, I love that image, too.

I'm so glad this show is in syndication, as I love watching the old episodes (I like current ones, too, even though I'm usually quite behind in watching, but I really love revisiting the old ones).

• Love 4
On 7/9/2018 at 10:51 AM, Fiero425 said:

Just started watching if I happen to surf by! Never even heard of this show! Strange! Who knew Janney could be this funny? Last watched her in "West Wing!" ;-)

I love your enthusiasm. I always know it's your post because of the exclamation points.  Elaine Benes would love you! 

• Love 1
On 7/9/2018 at 1:51 PM, Fiero425 said:

I'd seen her as a guest star on shows here and there, but I never watched The West Wing. I thought the previews for Mom looked funny so I've watched since day one, and I love Allison Janney's portrayal of Bonnie so much! She is hilarious and has a way of making you love her character even when she is saying and doing things that are so wrong! So glad that she has won two Emmys for this role, well-deserved.

• Love 2

Recently saw 'Chicken Nuggets and a Triple Homicide' again, where Christy and Bonnie rent a house with the homicidal history of the title. It was when they were homeless and living with Marjorie after running out on their first apartment. It's been a while since I saw the episode and I had forgotten that it was maybe the only ep where Marjorie behaves really badly. Christy tells her how important it is to her to have her own place and get her family back together, but Marjorie doesn't want to live alone, so she tricks them into staying with her. It may be the only time in the show's history that she does something purely for selfish reasons. 

Overall a funny episode, though. That realtor was a riot! She did a lot with a small role.

5 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Overall a funny episode, though.

My favorite part is how every single person who hears about the murder is most upset about the dog being killed.

• Love 2

I was watching the rerun of Free Therapy and a Dead Lady's yard sale. I wish that they did say who Violet's real dad was. Maybe if she actually met her dad she would have forgiven Christy later on and actually had a relationship.

Speaking of Season 2: last night I watched "Kitty Litter and a Class A Felony", the episode where Bonnie steals Alvin's ashes and Alvin's sons give Christy a check for "working the past 2 years without getting paid."  I really liked the brothers and thought it's a shame we never saw those characters again.

• Love 5