Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

possibilities

Hi everyone. I decided to merge the individual episodes for Season 2 into a single topic. Over the last few weeks, there have been fewer than 10 posts per episode. That's little enough activity to have a single thread for the season. If you have any questions about this, feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks!

• Love 1

Whoa tonight was intense. I like that they're letting Violet do more than snark and I really like her relationship with Baxter. Its sweet and realistic. I like when the show doesn't go for the easy answers. I do think Violets dad may still show up. I half expect her to google James Sutcliffe and find out the truth.

• Love 4

When this show is real, as it was tonight, it is so, so good.  The kooky nonsense with the uber-rich addict takes me away from, well, the show I think should be.  Humor can and should be found in many dark corners.

• Love 7

I have to agree - this was a "sit up in bed and watch" eppie for a change....It also exposed more of "Crusty"s past relationships with the men in her life...I always wondered where was Violet's dad anyway....

• Love 1

I kinda like this show because it does have the moments of "real ness" plus I like it gallows humor. Of course Violet would blame her mother for everything and want to see her father and believe he was some white knight who would save her from her terrible life. I liked the fact that the truth was far more complicated.

Violets father is bound to pop up now that we know is is not grave guy.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Last night's episode felt much more like one of the comedies I watch on HBO or Showtime. I like that they went there and even found some humor in a really tough subject. I thought Allison and Anna were amazing. I'm still not a fan of the daughter's character, but at least we got some insight into why she's so bitchy all the time.

• Love 4

Physical abuse is no laughing matter, though I did like it when Bonnie revealed that Violets dad was an abuser.

Finally shut her smug, bitchy righteous ass up for a minute. I don't care what kind of past she had if my eighteen year old behaved like her there would be fireworks. She can move out any time now, I loathe her character on the show.

• Love 6

I'm with you Texasmom1970.  I find that daughter very difficult to tolerate however she's doing a great job at being a "normal screwed up kid".  I found the graveyard scene SO funny (after the daughter walked away).  When the wife showed up and asked what they were doing I laughed out loud.  Love this show - comedy and drama mixed in - and done pretty well.

• Love 3

This episode was the first this year that was like the show I loved last season, a great combination of comedy mixed with poignancy. They got that balance right so many times in S1, it's good to see it again. 

I especially liked Baxter this week. He was the only character that truly annoyed me last season, so I'm enjoying his change for the better. It was cute how he even tried to serve as a father figure for Violet. Give the guy credit, he's trying. 

I hope Luke isn't gone for good. 

• Love 1

So Marjorie is Christy's sponsor? They've never actually referred to her as Christy's sponsor before, have they?

I thought this episode (the one with Colin Hanks as Dogboy) was easily one of their funniest. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with Alvin, though. Kevin Pollack is funny, but I can't imagine them keeping him as Bonnie's love interest for too long. There's too much comic potential for them to wring out of her dating other people.

I'm pretty sure my biggest laugh in this last episode was from a potential blooper:  Janney running back to the table after listening in at the bedroom door, jumped into her chair and almost toppled over, then righted herself and went on with the scene, to the uproarious laughter of the audience.

• Love 4

Don't know how I feel about CHristy working with that guy..... and I'm DEFINATELY not looking forward to next when when it looks like

Alvin is going to die... I liked him so much on this show

I wish Chuck didn't feel the need to make this show depressing

• Love 3

So Christy's working as a paid employee for that lawyer, and not just as some sort of apprentice? It seemed like she would just be helping him out for free, until he called her an independent contractor at the end.

Alvin probably wasn't going to be a regular on the show much longer, because Bonnie being in a happy relationship isn't comedy fodder the way that Bonnie on the dating market is.

But I was hoping he'd leave via a breakup, not being killed off. (Of course, it's possible that the preview is misleading and someone else dies...but that would be really shameless.)

Edited by Blakeston

Could it be Marjorie dies? Or do we know for sure Alvin dies? All things point to Alvin but I hate it.

Marjorie was made a regular on the show this season, so it's unlikely. Maybe Chef Rudy and Gabriel will die, and they'll have an excuse not to show them for one scene every other episode.

Sure looks like it's going to be Alvin who is being killed off, which upsets me. He was a big part of why I have been enjoying this show lately.

This is a sitcom, nothing wrong with adding some realism, but I draw the line at depressing me. The world news depresses me enough every day.

I wish Lorre would stop this shit....He already made me cry when I thought Louis was gonna be taken from Walden on TAAHM last week...I don't tune into a sitcom to friggin' CRY....

Edited by GrtGzu

Just a dose of reality which I realize might not be important in a sitcom. I just thought that I'd mention these things in case anyone is interested.   I'm an attorney so I noticed the details that might have been overlooked by others.  Geesh, Christy was just going right through those case files.  She should have been instructed on attorney-client privilege and how it extends to non-attorney staff.  She should have had to, at the very least, signed a statement saying she understood what it was and how it applied to her.  The second thing is that you can't just go to law school "part-time" in the way that you can with other programs.  The vast majority of ABA approved law schools require you complete your JD in 3 years full-time or 4 years part-time.  I went at night and instead of taking 4 classes like the day students (4 classes for 6 semesters = 24 classes), I took 3 classes (3 classes for 8 semesters = 24 classes).  I know of a few smaller law schools that give up to 7 years, but they are in the minority and many are non-ABA accredited.

PS  I hope that Alvin doesn't die of a heart attack during sex with Bonnie.

Edited by ShelleySue
  • Love 2

Wow! Chuck said he was going to stir things up this season. That was not what I wanted for them.

So, we know that he is known for reusing his actors, but in this episode, did it mean the curly hair "geek" from 2 1/2 men is actually Christy's brother???

Or am I over thinking the whole, both shows are based in Cali and there sits (I can't think of his character name, I want to call him Gordon.) the "geek"?

• Love 3

Wow! Chuck said he was going to stir things up this season. That was not what I wanted for them.

So, we know that he is known for reusing his actors, but in this episode, did it mean the curly hair "geek" from 2 1/2 men is actually Christy's brother???

Or am I over thinking the whole, both shows are based in Cali and there sits (I can't think of his character name, I want to call him Gordon.) the "geek"?

I thought it was just me who noticed that guy from 2.5!!!!

And yeah, didn't see THAT coming....not at ALL...did he have to die in bed while having sex though?...That's not funny to me....It got really intense when Bonnie got her mug slapped by the old lady...and I thought Bonnie was gonna throw down with Alvin's ex at the funeral...kinda scary...

• Love 3

Well, that does it for me.  I'm done with this show.  Too bad because I've really come to enjoy the cast -- especially the Alvin character.  Sitcoms are supposed to be entertaining.  If I want misery, I can find it easily enough in real life.  Apparently, The Powers That Be think Bonnie is funnier if she's alone and miserable.  I say they're just  too lazy to find creative story lines.  If they have to resort to killing people off just to keep things interesting, what is the point of watching?    

• Love 2

I think I can appreciate dark humor, and as one who has a middle-aged female friend who is a recovering alcoholic I think this show generally handles the recovery issues well, but I hated to see a likeable character like Alvin killed off. Maybe a happy, lasting romance would have messed up the show's dynamic but I didn't like having him die just after he comes into his ex-girlfriend's/daughter's/grandkids lives.

• Love 3

I'm bummed about Alvin, but I admire this shows commitment to staying focused on it's women and also to being dramatic and serious, it often feels like serio-comedy instead of sitcommy, and while I think it should be funnier, it always  nails the emotions.

At the same time less Badger, Luke, and now Alvin means the characters that didn't have baggage and could work the punchlines w/o pathos, consistently are sorely missed. 

• Love 3

I was sorry to see Alvin killed off, because he added nicely to the show.  I can think of one reason why the producers would have him die.  A big part of this show is the financial struggles that Christy and her family have.  With Alvin now a part of their lives, and being able to buy them things or give them money, that takes away a big chunk of the plot line.

This certainly isn't the first comedy to kill off a character.  A few other shows come to mind right away - M*A*S*H, All in the Family, Roseanne.

I also noticed the curly haired "geek" from Two and a Half Men.  Maybe his stint on that show is done, since he hasn't been on lately.

I think I can appreciate dark humor, and as one who has a middle-aged female friend who is a recovering alcoholic I think this show generally handles the recovery issues well, but I hated to see a likeable character like Alvin killed off. Maybe a happy, lasting romance would have messed up the show's dynamic but I didn't like having him die just after he comes into his ex-girlfriend's/daughter's/grandkids lives.

I really liked Kevin Pollock in this role. Damn.

I was sorry to see Alvin killed off, because he added nicely to the show.  I can think of one reason why the producers would have him die.  A big part of this show is the financial struggles that Christy and her family have.  With Alvin now a part of their lives, and being able to buy them things or give them money, that takes away a big chunk of the plot line.

This certainly isn't the first comedy to kill off a character.  A few other shows come to mind right away - M*A*S*H, All in the Family, Roseanne.

I also noticed the curly haired "geek" from Two and a Half Men.  Maybe his stint on that show is done, since he hasn't been on lately.

True. 2.5 men is ending next month.

I just thought it odd/funny to see him sitting next to the Ex wife in the church.

I am done. I started watching this season because it's on after Big Bang Theory and quickly came to love Alvin with Allison Janney's character. The show is quite frankly too much of a downer anyways and this development drives it right into the ground for me. 

Sure looks like it's going to be Alvin who is being killed off, which upsets me. He was a big part of why I have been enjoying this show lately.

This is a sitcom, nothing wrong with adding some realism, but I draw the line at depressing me. The world news depresses me enough every day.

That is my biggest problem with this show it is supposed to be a comedy. I don't mind if there are some serious moments but this show is a serious downer. They have dealt with alcoholism, homelessness, poverty, death, heart attacks, child abandonment, teenage pregnancy, divorce and cancer. Am I missing any other upbeat themes they have worked with? I want a show that is a fun escape, not one that makes you want to jump off a building!

Edited by Texasmom1970
  • Love 1

I don't mind the dark....I like that this show is about how you find the humor in the worst of circumstances.  And I've been okay with almost everything they've lobed at us....but I really really liked Alvin's character, and I enjoyed his interactions with every one of the cast.  He really brought out a good side of Bonnie that I think we needed to see.  I too do not want to go back to her being alone...

• Love 3

I am done. I started watching this season because it's on after Big Bang Theory and quickly came to love Alvin with Allison Janney's character. The show is quite frankly too much of a downer anyways and this development drives it right into the ground for me. 

Wow, this is a real YMMV moment.  :o)  This is precisely why I love "Mom."  It's real.  Rather, it doesn't rely on resolving everything neatly in a 24-minute episode each week.  Ends are left untied.  Relationships blow up.  The characters have to deal with whatever life (or Lorre) throws at them.  I find the writing to be very sharp and mostly realistic.  And so very darkly funny!!!  Allison Janney is, imho, a goddess.  I never watched The West Wing.  But I practically LIVE to see her on Mom.  So funny.  So twisted!  lololol

Yes, I'll miss Alvin terribly.  But I think the show will work better with Bonnie as a singleton.

Edited by Vanderfabulous
  • Love 15
(edited)

I love how kick in the face this show is. No sugar-coating, no punches pulled. I thought "promos are famously misleading; maybe they'll kill off the friend who has cancer. It would be sad, but not gut-destroying." But they really went for the big one. And that's how it works: the deepest pits are where the most outrageous humor is born. That's survival.

And that's how they do it. They sent Octavia Spencer's character to prison. Do the friends visit her every week and make it seem like a big laugh? No.

Win some, lose some.

It's like Beckett went to Hollywood.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4

I think Mr. Jillybean and I are ready to give up on this show.  It's too dark and depressing this season.  I enjoy Allison Janney and she brings the occasional laugh, but that's about it.  She and Anna Faris are both too good for this.

It is dark--which is what makes it good.  Someone upthread said, "This is supposed to be a comedy."  Hmmm.  I LOVE that this comedy-centric show also hits some truly serious notes.   And I'm really pissed off that its production company doesn't make the smallest effort to promote that distinction. 

While Two Broke Girls has turned into a 22 minute excuse for making double entendre dick and pussy jokes, there's some hardcore real life stuff happening with these Mom characters.  Plus witty one-liners.

RIP, Alvin--sorry to lose you.  Kevin Pollack and Allison Janney are so powerful, they distracted me from Christie's single wide-eyed expression.

• Love 12

Clearly the show is not for everyone, but I was happy to see that the ratings are actually really good. As long as that continues, I don't think the way the show is being advertized is a big problem.

Oh, good, thanks for the intel!  Ha, I judge all things tv by these forums and the per-season thread didn't strike me as promising.

But I seem to watch a lot of stuff where three of us meet each week and post our high fives.

: )

• Love 1

They definitely try to strike a balance between the drama and the comedy on this show, but I'm not sure they hit the right one with Alvin's death. I thought they handled Violet's pregnancy and giving up the baby quite well, but this seemed very sudden and inorganic. It was rather jolting.

• Love 1

Oh, good, thanks for the intel!  Ha, I judge all things tv by these forums and the per-season thread didn't strike me as promising.

Yeah, the move to after Big Bang Theory helped the ratings a lot. Hopefuly the move to 9:30 (following BBT repeats) once Odd Couple starts doesn't hurt it too badly. I assume it's safe for a third season anyway.

It's like Beckett went to Hollywood.

Oh, that is such a very good comparison!  I think.  Are you talking about "Becker" starring Ted Danson?  As soon as I read Beckett, I agreed and then googled to see how long ago that was and saw that the title I was thinking of was actually Becker.  I think we are on the same page?

Edited by pennben

Oh, jeez, I thought it was a reference to Samuel Beckett of "Waiting for Godot" fame, and also gems like: "Worstward Ho" and "I can't go on, I'll go on"-- I may be the only person on the planet who finds Beckett cheerful and hilarious and uplifting, though.

Please educate my culturally ignorant ass, and tell me what kind of show is/was Becker?

• Love 3

Taking a picture of the four of you with the thermos? Really? These characters behave so cluelessly some times, it makes me wonder how they feed themselves.

Oh, jeez, I thought it was a reference to Samuel Beckett of "Waiting for Godot" fame, and also gems like: "Worstward Ho" and "I can't go on, I'll go on"-- I may be the only person on the planet who finds Beckett cheerful and hilarious and uplifting, though.

Please educate my culturally ignorant ass, and tell me what kind of show is/was Becker?

I'm confused - aren't you the one who made the reference?

I'm confused - aren't you the one who made the reference?

Oh my God, you're right. My apologies. I totally forgot saying it. I have been a bit distracted lately, and I had a killer headache that kind of reset my brain earlier this week, but I didn't realize I was quite that out of it! How mortifying... I wonder what other chaos I've been spewing....

• Love 1