Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

possibilities

I actually love this show. I kept wondering how they pay for that house rental and now we see: they don't. I was surprised that they didn't ask the dad for help, though. he seems to have plenty of money. I suspect he'll bail them out once he discovers the situation. Living in a motel is not cheap, either. They can't possibly stay there more than a few nights.

I wish they hadn't decided to have the mugger be a Black man in a hoodie. I thought it was a set up at first, that Bonnie had found out Cristy was gambling, and hired someone to scare the hell out of her. But that didn't seem to be the case, and either way-- the set up wasn't justified by the "Shame on you/I can't help it if he's a racial stereotype" conversation that followed.

Loved the diner conversation where they were calling her out on what the hell was wrong with her and telling her to shut up. I think switching one addiction for another is  very common problem, and I also like that the friend has been sober 30 years but still struggles. So often on TV, there is either an instant recovery the second someone "sees the light" or else we get the "person lying in the gutter because they never learn" end of the spectrum. The people I know are often somewhere in between, and Cristy has only been sober a year. For her to be totally over the struggle, especially with the kind of stress her life gives her, and how far gone she apparently was before, was not all that realistic. So, I like that they're making the situation more complex.

Why does the assistant always whisper in the head chef's ear instead of speaking out loud? Why do they think that's funny?

• Love 3

Not only dark, of course she would lose the money to a mugger. Forget the fact she wasn't thinking straight at all and her mom should have decided to handle the bills herself. Wow! Dark and not the best season premiere. 

• Love 1

I thought it was a great season premiere!  I've had trouble getting past Anna Faris blinking her big doe eyes at every situation like she's still "The House Bunny."  The Allison Janney snark and the addiction angle kept it from being a giant can of cake frosting.

Then I became seriously impressed when they were brave enough to tackle the hard stuff and give the baby up for adoption.  (Hello?  Parenthood?)  They kept a good amount of humor going with the feckless baby daddy, but it was still moving.  

Every other sitcom would have written Season Two as "crying baby keeps everyone awake all night," but this one didn't go that route, so yay.  Gosh, what was the last sitcom that pulled off being funny about serious issues?  MASH?  Maybe Roseanne.

• Love 6

I thought it was a great season premiere!  I've had trouble getting past Anna Faris blinking her big doe eyes at every situation like she's still "The House Bunny."  The Allison Janney snark and the addiction angle kept it from being a giant can of cake frosting.

Then I became seriously impressed when they were brave enough to tackle the hard stuff and give the baby up for adoption.  (Hello?  Parenthood?)  They kept a good amount of humor going with the feckless baby daddy, but it was still moving.  

Every other sitcom would have written Season Two as "crying baby keeps everyone awake all night," but this one didn't go that route, so yay.  Gosh, what was the last sitcom that pulled off being funny about serious issues?  MASH?  Maybe Roseanne.

I loved it, too. I don't know many shows with the courage to allow the main family to actually be evicted (I'm sure others have examples of it, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.) It was definitely dark, which is surprising for a Chuck Lorre show. I was worried they were going to cop out when "Crusty" won the bet, but I'm glad they had her get mugged. And I know it's a mileage-may-vary thing, but I loved the stereotype joke. 

I thought this was just one of those shows I watched casually because it came on after Mike & Molly. Then I realized around the end of September I hadn't seen any new episodes (my DVR skips over commercials automatically, so I never see promos). Anyway, I ran to the internet to see if it had been cancelled, and that's when it hit me how much I really like this show. The thought that it might have been cancelled actually ticked me off! 

• Love 5

I do like this show. I'm glad everything isn't always sorted out by the end of the episode. And bad things happen...consequences for actions! what a concept!

I think switching one addiction for another is  very common problem,

My son struggles with alcohol addiction. He's traded some of that for smoking cigarettes (still drinks, not as much). For now, it's a trade I'll take. 

My BIL went from booze to cigarettes/coffee/gambling. So far not enough to ruin his life, hopefully he's able to maintain. 

• Love 4

I know that Cristy should never have let herself get so far behind in the rent, that the family had to flee the house before they were evicted, but it's not all her fault.  Bonnie and Violet need to step up and start contributing to the household expenses.  They are both able bodied and capable of holding down jobs.  Bonnie does have that life coach job, but she surely isn't making much money from that, and she should go out and get a part time job to help out the family.  Luke could pitch in too.  He's often at their house, eating their food. 

I know that tv shows are often far from realistic, but it bugs me that there is a rather simple solution to their money troubles, that's not even being discussed.

• Love 1

I agree, but I think that's another typical family dynamic: the addict is just the focal point of the family's general dysfunction, and gets the blame when other people are basically just as bad. Not all situations work that way, but it's not rare when they do.

I loved it hen Cristy yelled at Violet to get a job or go to school. I didn't realize she'd dropped out to that extent. And I also loved it when Violet decided to move out; she wasn't wrong and it might actually be the best thing for everyone.

And Bonnie certainly doesn't have any ground to complain, when she's basically been mooching. Her "life coach" job is a joke; her life is a mess, she has no real qualifications or clientele, and she just says she's a life coach because she likes the way it sounds. Her real motive to be living there is that she has no place else to go, and she's been helping around the house because she enjoys it.

And while Cristy was wrong to gamble, she said they never had the money for rent even before that. She chose to gamble in hopes of winning rent money, and instead of calling on her family to take some responsibility. She was trying to be a hero and avoid confrontation with her lazy daughter and deadbeat mom.

I was surprised when he dad yelled at her, too. I was expecting the show to whitewash the problems by having Alvin bail them out. Much more impressed that they didn't take the easy way out just to relieve the tension. This show is brave. It could pull punches but right now it really isn't. I'm shocked it's getting away with this. I guess Lorre really does have some credit with the network-- and good for him for using it this way.

• Love 3

I agree, but I think that's another typical family dynamic: the addict is just the focal point of the family's general dysfunction, and gets the blame when other people are basically just as bad. Not all situations work that way, but it's not rare when they do.

I loved it hen Cristy yelled at Violet to get a job or go to school. I didn't realize she'd dropped out to that extent. And I also loved it when Violet decided to move out; she wasn't wrong and it might actually be the best thing for everyone.

And Bonnie certainly doesn't have any ground to complain, when she's basically been mooching. Her "life coach" job is a joke; her life is a mess, she has no real qualifications or clientele, and she just says she's a life coach because she likes the way it sounds. Her real motive to be living there is that she has no place else to go, and she's been helping around the house because she enjoys it.

And while Cristy was wrong to gamble, she said they never had the money for rent even before that. She chose to gamble in hopes of winning rent money, and instead of calling on her family to take some responsibility. She was trying to be a hero and avoid confrontation with her lazy daughter and deadbeat mom.

I was surprised when he dad yelled at her, too. I was expecting the show to whitewash the problems by having Alvin bail them out. Much more impressed that they didn't take the easy way out just to relieve the tension. This show is brave. It could pull punches but right now it really isn't. I'm shocked it's getting away with this. I guess Lorre really does have some credit with the network-- and good for him for using it this way.

I'm with you here.  At first I was annoyed with the able-bodied daughter and mother criticizing Christy, but you're right--she's obviously been drowning for awhile and never called for help.  That might be a common scenario with an newly sober alcoholic, I don't know.  No shade from me for someone not being a mind reader.

Okay, but now everyone knows!  Let's stop bitching, ladies, and start cruising those 7-11's with the Help Wanted signs in the windows, shall we?

P.S>looks like Daddy comes through next week with accommodations.  I expect Allison Janney to flop down on the first horizontal surface, out of gratitude.  : )

• Love 2

I hope Violet stays gone. I know it won't happen, but I really despise that character. If she's so tired of living hand to mouth why doesn't she get a freaking job and help out? Someone whose family rallied around her when she got knocked up while still in high school should be a lot more grateful than she is.

Did Kristy screw up? Absolutely. But if she had some help maybe she wouldn't have been in a position to screw up in the first place.

And I respect that she didn't call her dad for money, even though it left her homeless.

More of Baxter, please. And not just because it's an awesome last name. :-)

• Love 2

I don't know, I honestly don't understand why they thought it would be a good idea to make this family homeless. Is it because they want to retain some sense of drama on this show, or is it simply because Chuck Lorre always thinks it's funny if the characters are as pathetic as possible? Look at what they've done to Alan Harper over on Two and a Half Men. Maybe Lorre figured Christy being a waitress and living paycheck to paycheck wasn't funny enough, and it would be funnier if she were actually homeless.

• Love 2

A lot of talk here of Bonnie not contributing to the rent, but didnt we find out that Christy had been taking her money and gambling it away prior to this episode?

Why doesn't there seem to be much interest in this show on the forum and on thebroader internet? I searched for a recap to confirm the money issue but came up empty. (Granted, mobile impaired.) I just started watching this show after catching a bit on a flight. I've been a Janney fan for a long time, and loved Farris inthe House Bunny. They work wonderfully together, and for being a Lorre show, it is surprisingly smart and deep. Like BBT, 2 and a Half Men, or even D&G at their best.

Hope the quality keeps up!

• Love 1
Guest Accused Dingo

I actually kinda like this show. I am not a conedy person but when i turn it on i get a geniuin chuckle.

iMonrey I agree with you this is supposed to be a comedy what is wrong with Chuck Lorre?

Nothing says funny like having to runaway in the middle of the night to a seedy hotel eith your kids because you can't pay the rent!

I missed it did Christy say she asked her Dad for money and he told her to grow up and be responsible? If so that does not ring true just last year he was giving her a car be cause she needed it. And what Father and Grandfather would not be concerned about them being homeless? This show is bumming me out!

• Love 1

iMonrey I agree with you this is supposed to be a comedy what is wrong with Chuck Lorre?

Personally, I think this may be Chuck Lorre's finest show.  It is dealing with finding (and showing) humor in bleak places where lots of people find themselves.  I guess I'm a "gallows humor" fan and the exploration of the gallows makes the laughs all the more appreciated along the way.

• Love 9

I'm not finding any humor in this comedy this season. It's depressing. The snarky comments from Bonnie, the Chef...whomever, aren't funny to me. It really feels very sad and all are pathetic to live behind an 8-ball at every turn. I may watch next week's conclusion, then remove it from my DVR. I guess I'm not the ideal audience for this show since I have alcoholic family members and have seen their struggles first-hand and can't see the humor in their fight to stay sober.

If Chuck Lorre wants to do a serious show about addiction with some humor thrown in, I think that'd work much better than this effort. YMMV

• Love 2

I thought it took a lot of nerve for the father who abandoned Christy as an infant and made no effort to find her once he found success to lecture her about responsibility.  She's not perfect, but she has been there for her children.  I am not saying he should bail her out, but he had no business chastising her.  

• Love 2

A lot of talk here of Bonnie not contributing to the rent, but didnt we find out that Christy had been taking her money and gambling it away prior to this episode?

I think the show has always played it very fast and loose re: Bonnie's career situation, beyond the silly "life coach" stuff.

She was living on her own before she moved in with Christy, right? Before she came up with the life coach idea? Do we have any idea what she was doing for a living then?

And unless she's landed a bunch of new clients, where is she coming up with the rent money she's been giving Christy?

• Love 1

I love that the whole show is centered around three females trying to get it together. I love the dysfunction, the love, the stupidity. I never watched Allison Janey nor Anna Faris in anything else. I do remember Anna being all wide eyed in one of those spoof movies but that is all. Now I am thinking of searching for some West Wing to catch Allison. But I think that the whole cast is superbly cast and each one nails their characters.

For Anna Faris, watch The House Bunny. It's funnier and better than it has any right to be. And Colin Hanks is in it.

You can't go wrong with West Wing.

• Love 2

I want it to be funny and finding laughs at the stupid things that people do.

I so wanted it to be this way, too, but this season it's taken a turn down a dark road that I haven't found anything funny. I'm done with giving it chances to be funny again and it's off my dvr now.

I'm not sure I have a lot to say about the episode, but it seems like we are going to slip into lost thoughts if we don't start new episode threads each week (she says even though she only found this topic last week).

As for this week, I am most happy that they didn't land in a upscale rental permanently.  I would have preferred that the reason why was that because, with their credit and situation, they couldn't have afforded even a murder house.  But I'll take them ending up back where they were...that happens.  And that means more Mimi Kennedy!

I expect fallout from prior episodes, these are real things these folks are going through.  I also expect earned laughs as we have seen in the past here. 

Are we allowed to vote for a single thread when there are only a few commenting?  It feels like otherwise lots of thoughts get split up in several topics and stranded here and there. I also know this is only my second or third post here, so feel very free to ignore that question.

Edited by pennben

Thanks for starting the thread. I came here to talk about the episode right after I watched it, saw no thread, and was too tired to go hunting for the episode title so I could start one.

I thought it was weird that Bonnie didn't think to suggest to Dad that he also ran out on his responsibilities in the middle of the night (leaving her with their newborn in the hospital), so he might not want to be so high and mighty about how "irresponsible" Cristy is, when she's supporting herself, two kids, and her mother. He owes them DECADES of child support, if you really want to get technical.

However, I don't want Alvin to be an easy way out for them financially, because it's much more interesting to watch the family deal with realistic struggles than to have them be bailed out by the long lost relative with cash. Most families do not have anyone like that to solve their problems for them. Probably the show would have been better off not writing Alvin as a successful businessman, because now, every time the family struggles, it's a question: will he rescue them? Should he? Whereas, if he was just making ends meet barely himself, it would level the field a bit more and leave the focus on the sobriety and other struggles.

I really hope Violet does get a job, though. Bonnie, too.

I was surprised that they were not only welcome, but also missed, when they left their friend's place. That is a really, really full house right now. And she never offered to let them stay there when they were at the motel, so I wonder what changed her mind.

• Love 1

And by "Homocide" in the title, I meant "Homicide".  Good lord, I need to figure out spellcheck here to keep me from the stupid that is occasionally me. Help!!

I thought it was weird that Bonnie didn't think to suggest to Dad that he also ran out on his responsibilities in the middle of the night (leaving her with

their newborn in the hospital)

I had the same thought....who is he to be sanctimonious about responsibilities to the family!

I was surprised that they were not only welcome, but also missed, when they left their friend's place. That is a really, really full house right now. And she never offered to let them stay there when they were at the motel, so I wonder what changed her mind.

I don't think she knew they were in a motel at the beginning (nor do I think they wanted her to know).  I also think the rain slicker on the back of her door meant she scared them back to her house in this episode.  My first thought of the word to describe this situation at her house was "disconcerting"; that's wrong, she is quite kind to let them stay at her house, but also, as crowded as it is, she's got her own motive...she's not alone after chemo.  She didn't want to be alone. And they need a place to stay.  Seriously, I get weepy too easily sometimes.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

I was almost certain that Bonnie's impromptu 4+ hour midday trek from Sonoma County to Chico (believe me, I drive it, it takes forever) would reveal that Daddy Alvin was secretly paying a huge chunk of rent on that upscale murder house and that he had arranged for the AA Realtor to move them in at the lowball $900 rent.  It was nice they didn't do that sitcom-y thing.

Or maybe that will be the Big Reveal that happens once full family reconciliation appears imminent.

Well, at this point, Allison Janney is the only reason I'm still watching.  We loved this show last season, but all the funny seems to have vanished and now it's just stupid and kinda depressing.  At least AJ is able to wring a few laughs with her deadpan delivery.

Could someone explain to me what the hell the father's problem is with "running out on the rent?"

Christy was being evicted. She did the landlord a favor by leaving in the middle of the night, rather than forcing him to physically remove her family from the apartment.

It would be nice for her to pay him for the back rent she owes, but being as she couldn't even afford a home for her family, doesn't she have more important priorities?

And that's leaving aside the fact that the father has absolutely no business judging anyone for running out on their responsibilities.

• Love 1

It would be nice for her to pay him for the back rent she owes, but being as she couldn't even afford a home for her family, doesn't she have more important priorities?

Well, she does have different priorities, but he doesn't--his important priority is to take care of himself and his family.  He could decide that taking her to small claims court to get a judgment against her is worth it and then garnish her wages for payment.  I'm not sure if that would be cost effective, I think she owed $4000 or so, and maybe he could get court costs, but he'd have to weigh it against how much he would have to spend to recover the $4000 and whether or not it is cost-effective for him.

As for it being "nice" if she could pay, well, it is a legal obligation for her to pay. Nice has nothing to do with it, honoring contractual obligations does.

And that's leaving aside the fact that the father has absolutely no business judging anyone for running out on their responsibilities.

Agreed!  I'm not following why Bonnie allowed him to be such an ass to her after he walked away day one and didn't come back until now. 

Edited by pennben

I dropped in to say that, once again, the show was a good mix of the daughter's serious issue and Bonnie's funny interviews.  (I could have lived without the vomit/kitty angle.)

But if we're going to talk about landlords, I used to own a rental property and I would have been thrilled if anyone had ever left quietly in the middle of the night after getting behind three months.  Usually it was a six month battle, at least, with the deadbeat tenants doing their best to destroy the place as their last act of defiance.

If this show has someone making payments on the rent where they don't live anymore, they're going to be deep in Touched By An Angel territory.

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

Yeah, I know people who think it's fine for someone to sleep on the couch, until it's their turn.

So good that Bonnie finally stepped up and contributed, with a job.  But she and Lauren Graham on Parenthood aren't good reps for building supers.  That's an odd position for "the person who can't do anything."

I'm glad the show is keeping Mimi Kennedy employed, although "ball porn" and "Bass-o-matic" are both weird.  Maybe the ex-husband will be more interesting now that he's more than a goofy stoner waste of space.

Random tryptophan thoughts. . .

• Love 1

I thought Alvin had remarried and had kids with his new wife though.....I remember his sons when he got "Crusty" (that's still funny as hell to me) that new car...

Last nite, none of that was mentioned when he and Bonnie were hooking up....Am I wrong?

• Love 2

I thought Alvin had remarried and had kids with his new wife though.....I remember his sons when he got "Crusty" (that's still funny as hell to me) that new car...

Last nite, none of that was mentioned when he and Bonnie were hooking up....Am I wrong?

I think they mentioned last year that his wife kicked him out when she learned about Christy.

• Love 2

I think they mentioned last year that his wife kicked him out when she learned about Christy.

OK, I must have missed that.....thanks because I was starting to think it never happened, LOL!

Yeah it's strange there was no mention of Violet in this episode. I'm assuming it's a two bedroom apartment, it appears to be pretty big, and Bonnie referenced the "master" meaning there must be a second room for Violet, while Roscoe has to sleep in the closet.

Wow, Sara Rue has lost a ton of weight. 

• Love 2

Boy, badass Allison Janney is my reason to watch, but I can't support her character choice to chew her food like a dog with peanutbutter mouth.

Nobody was very likeable this time.  : (