Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

maraleia

S12.E33: Bernie Sanders, Lisa Kudrow, Robert Costa, Kristen Soltis Anderson, Linda Tirado

Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT), "Comeback" star Lisa Kudrow, Washington Post's Robert Costa, Daily Beast's Kristen Soltis Anderson and author Linda Tirado.

This was a fairly tepid show. But I needed a breather from all the Islam bs and I think Bill did too. 

It's a good point that people voted on liberal ballot initiatives but elected conservatives who won't enact similar measures on the federal level. 

Bill also made a good point that the democrats really didn't run on their record. 

I'm getting a little over the "it doesn't matter if the economy is good, if people think it's bad." Well, isn't that the point of campaigning? 

• Like 1

I loved seeing Bernie Sanders, and I enjoyed a panel who didn't talk over each other.  I also liked the author, I thought she was great.

• Like 1

Yes, it was really a fairly well-behaved panel, although the show itself was kind of boring. I adore The Comeback but Lisa Kudrow really didn't contribute anything aside from promoting her show. I know it's another HBO show, but the interview is an intrusion. I can't believe the Flip a District guy still won.

Why wouldn't he win?  No one who voted for the guy watches Bill.  The only action that resulted from flip a district was that Bill went to MN a few times.  That was unlikely to impact anyone who voted for Kline.  It was wasteful.  

• Like 1

but the interview is an intrusion.

I tend to agree. It annoys me when Bill stops a good conversation about something important to introduce someone outside the political arena and they proceed to have a private conversation while sitting Senators and other VIPs sit over to the side and just watch. It would be rude if the host of a cocktail party did that, and it's rude when Bill does it. IMO.

It obviously works a lot better when the latecomer is politically inclined - Eva Longoria for example was much better than Lisa Kudrow.

• Like 1

I figured Bill might have to because of cross promotion, or he's just friends with her and wanted her to help her out. 

I don't have a problem with it, but the guest should be able to contribute to the discussion after they plug her show. 

I really enjoyed the closing bit on ageism.  I know it was just a plug for Jerry Brown, but with all the socially unacceptable behavior out there, I notice this the most (and not just because I'm getting old myself).   Almost everything I value, I learned from an old person in my life (and I've been around 'em since '55 - long enough to be considered one myself soon).  Yet it is cliché enough to have a major corporation ridicule old folks who spend 15 minutes getting a quote. 

I really enjoyed the closing bit on ageism.  I know it was just a plug for Jerry Brown, but with all the socially unacceptable behavior out there, I notice this the most (and not just because I'm getting old myself).   Almost everything I value, I learned from an old person in my life (and I've been around 'em since '55 - long enough to be considered one myself soon).  Yet it is cliché enough to have a major corporation ridicule old folks who spend 15 minutes getting a quote. 

Someone remind me whether Bill went after John McCain and made a lot of jokes about his age.

• Like 1

I thought it was kind of odd to hear the rant about how "young people run everything" right after an election decided by older people because young people didn't vote.

• Like 3

The thing is that he's such a hypocrit about the ageism thing. A few years ago Sophia Loren was getting a lot of attention for something, possibly an honorary Oscar. Anyway a lot of magazines were featuring her and complimenting her looks. Bill made fun of her and said there's no way a woman her age could be considered hot. If you're in with Bill, everything is possible regardless of age, but if there's no way in hell that your paths will cross, he feels free to say insulting things.

• Like 1

First time in awhile that I sat through an entire episode without fast forwarding through most of it. The opening guest had a very interesting story to tell. One that needs to be heard from a whole swath of people. The panel was a good one with no shouting down each other. But Lisa Kudrow just took up space. She was only there to plug her new HBO series and nothing else. If Bill was going to bring in someone to plug their new HBO season, why couldn't it have been Jeff Daniels with The Newsroom (and Dumb and Dumber To). At least he would have made it interesting.

They wouldn't go after Jerry Brown because he's old. They'd go after him because they'd consider him a new age hippie freak that the rest of the country shouldn't take seriously.

• Like 3

Enjoyed this way more than last weeks shout fest. Bernie Sanders is someone both sides of the political spectrum should listen to more and the first interview guest with the book about minimum-wage earners was interesting and entertaining. She's also someone the politicians should listen to more. Lisa Kudrow was kind of a waste of space and just there to promote her show, but at least she didn't make any stupid interruptions about topics when she had nothing to contribute

Well I agree with Bill's point about age not being a negative in and of itself I too remember him being an ass in his Politically Incorrect days about people saying Sophia Loren was still sexy in her 60s. He basically said no one that old could ever be sexy and it was ridiculous to call her that. Hypocrite much Bill?

• Like 1

I adore Lisa Kudrow but agree that she was pointless on the show. She should have been the opening interview, and then had the author on mid-show so the panel could discuss a living wage.

I am so fed up with Bill basing everything on California politics.  It's a big country, Bill, and not everyone agrees, and what works for CA may or may not work for everyone else. If Jerry Brown "fixed" CA, then good for you and keep him in office there and be happy. 

Jerry Brown isn't that massively liberal. He cut spending a lot, for example and balanced the budget for a top 10 world economy. I'd say he's got national credibility. 

• Like 1

I read Linda Tirado's Hand to Mouth after I saw it on EW's recommended list. I know Tirado has come under attack by the right for not being as "poor" as she claims to be, but I have to say that book knocked me on my ass. I don't know that I've ever read an account of poverty that rang so true for me. It managed to make me laugh as I was crying. I was never as poor as Linda was since I never had anyone to support except me. However, I lived check to check at different times during my early 20s and remember things like not being able to afford the gas to put in my car so I could get to work to afford the gas to put in my car. I also could relate to how expensive it is to eat healthy. I spent many weeks existing solely on ramen noodles or items on the McDonald's dollar menu. I also remember how angry I'd get when well-intentioned people who'd never experienced poverty would offer their helpful not-even-remotely helpful advice.

I also enjoyed Lisa Kudrow's appearance. I didn't have HBO back when The Comeback first aired, so I marathoned the first season before season 2 started last night. It is quite good, even though I don't know anything about Hollywood from the inside. As a woman in my early 40s, I can relate to the moment you go from being hot and pursued to being old and invisible.

I liked the panel too and agree that it's nice when they're respectful and don't talk over each other. Bernie Sanders was my favorite of the three, and he expressed the frustration I had during this past election cycle as I watched my party run away from its own platform and leader. The Dems got exactly what we deserved this election. I live in the district Gabby Giffords used to represent (before she was shot in the freaking head), and they still don't know who won the election for her old seat. It shouldn't have even been close, but her successor, Ron Barber, ran a whole bunch of ads about being an independent instead of a democrat. It's no wonder the strong democrat base in Tucson didn't go out to vote for him. So he may lose to his opponent, a Tea Party candidate.

• Like 1

I also enjoyed Lisa Kudrow's appearance. I didn't have HBO back when The Comeback first aired, so I marathoned the first season before season 2 started last night. It is quite good, even though I don't know anything about Hollywood from the inside. As a woman in my early 40s, I can relate to the moment you go from being hot and pursued to being old and invisible.

Sounds a bit like what Matt LeBlanc did with his Showtime series Episodes, where he basically plays himself, and its a pretty funny 'inside Hollywood' show.

I'd have to give serious thought to voting for Sanders if he ran for President so Hillary should take note.  I agree that the Dems really blew it by not taking credit for the improvements in this country after Bush 2.0   I just can't believe how wishy-washy they were and how much they too believed the Faux news lies.  I guess the Republican 'autopsy' after the last election boiled down to 'shut up about rape' and repeat how bad Obama is, don't worry  no one will dispute you even if it is a lie.

Episodes is fantastic. 

However, I lived check to check at different times during my early 20s and remember things like not being able to afford the gas to put in my car so I could get to work to afford the gas to put in my car.

People think "poor" only means homeless or squalor. I'm living check to check and practically drained by savings because my dog needed medical care. Thankfully she's healthy now. I finally qualified for medicare thanks to Obama, which no one seems to remember. I'm healthy too, but I wanted to get a regular check up. 

I can totally see how if you're working two jobs that you're always dragging your ass and you get sick all the time. It's not the hospital level of sick, but sick enough that it drains you. And you can't take time off. It's those lack of benefits that are the kick in the ass. 

Depending where you live, there's lots of local groceries with cheap produce. If you have a place with a stove, cooking is a cheaper option long term. 

The thing is, just because you make a relatively decent income, doesn't necessarily mean you don't live paycheck to paycheck with little, if any for savings.  These days, the chunks of money consumed by rent, utilities (which can include phone and internet these days), car payment, student loan payment, credit card payments (because that's how you paid for your car repairs), that if you work a job (or two) that doesn't provide benefits or sick days, or just a few, you can really be in a quandry if you're sick, or you have a sick child.  its why I it annoys me every time some corporate spokesperson or politician trots out FMLA as the 'solution' to maternity leave, saying women can always take off 3 months for birth.  The women who need FMLA are the women who can't afford to go 3 months without a paycheck.

I read a book some years ago, called something like Nickled and Dimed, which sounds similar to the book by Tirado, about a woman who tried to live off of such minimum wage jobs as hotel maid, diner waitress, and something else I can't remember.  I remember the book talking about how difficult it was to get by on these types of jobs, the long hours, hard work that many times has to be done very quickly, no benefits, and that's why I have to laugh every time some corporate executive/ceo tries to justify his seven figure income by saying how "hard" he works.  He has no idea what hard work really is.

• Like 3

I read a book some years ago, called something like Nickled and Dimed, which sounds similar to the book by Tirado, about a woman who tried to live off of such minimum wage jobs as hotel maid, diner waitress, and something else I can't remember.

The third job was working on the floor at Wal-Mart. It is indeed an excellent book.

Depending where you live, there's lots of local groceries with cheap produce. If you have a place with a stove, cooking is a cheaper option long term. 

That's true for my situation now, but for someone working multiple jobs, trying to eat healthy meals at home is damn near impossible. Tirado also addresses this in her book. It's not just a lack of money money; it's a lack of time.

For example, she mentioned on the show a two-hour bus ride just go get to the polls to vote. In my hometown, the city buses ran fairly regularly until 9 pm. Then they had a bus called the "Nightline." It was one bus that went everywhere. I worked at the mall when I was a freshman in high school. I'd get off of work at 9 and then have a 1 1/2 hour ride home on the city bus. Once I got my first car, at 16, my commute from the mall dropped to 15 minutes. And I was doing this as a kid! I can't even imagine doing this with children to raise.

I know lack of time is a factor and it's even more work, but if you can prepare your own meals, even if they're really simple, you're better off than eating fast food, from both money and health.