Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Self Help – Speculation and Live Chat

halgia
  • Start Topic

I posted this in the media thread yesterday:

From AMC:

Episode 5: Self Help
A new set of issues confront our group while on a mission. Will they be able to push through and survive these challenges? Or better yet, each other?

There's a one-minute sneak peek (preceded by a Slim Jims commercial).

• Love 2

I'm just going to come out and say it in as profane a way as I can in order to truly convey the depth of my emotion. 

I fucking love live posting on this motherfucking show.

And with that I apologize to my mother for all that money apparently wasted on a college education......

• Love 7

I can't even watch the show until Monday night, but I LOVE the live posting. It's filled with such witty, pithy, philosophical musings:

Oh, Bob!

It's the red handled machete! Go Rick!

WTF was that?

etc.

Makes me glad I learned all them thangs in college.

• Love 2

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it too. Had to work last Sunday, which pretty much shot to hell any chance I will ever have to live-post about a "lolly-cop." My expectations for the upcoming episode are fairly modest.

1. I would like Rosita to change back into her Daisy Dukes. I mean, she doesn't do anything except look pretty, so just embrace it already. I don't even think the actress is bad, but it's kind of hard to tell when she only has about ten words of dialog a month.

2. I would like Abraham to put on a sweater or something. Some breasts are less hypnotic than others.

3. I would like very much for Eugene to open Bob's shoebox, and find an unread book, still in its original factory packaging, called "Acting 101."

4. I would like to see more side-dynamics developing among Rick's group . Perhaps Carl could be the curious but not stupid kid, kind of like Will Robinson on "Lost in Space."  Fauxther Gabriel, of course, could be Dr. Smith, the ineffectual suspicious weirdo who the adults can barely tolerate, and Lord Fluffington the escaped guinea pig could be The Robot who has to keep dealing with their emergencies.

5. I want to see at least one good kill done by Carol. Which, when you convert the math into Carol numbers, means she has to kill at least 500 people while Rick tries to have a telephone conversation with his shoelaces.

6. I want them to finally settle the issue once and for all of who should go where with who by letting Carl's hat develop Hogwarts-style sorting powers.

7. I want absolutely no flashbacks whatsoever about Bob or The Governor. Really shouldn't have to specify the Governor, but, yeah, better safe than sorry.

8. I'd like to see at least one other monster join the cast. Mummy, Sasquatch, David Hasselhoff version of Mr. Hyde, whatever they can afford... I just think the zombies are getting lonely.

9. I want to find out who the hell has been doing Eugene and Abraham's hair throughout the ZA. Hey, is that why Rosita is there? 

10. I want to not be called into work on Sunday night.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 4

My hopes for the episode is that we won't spend the entire hour with Abraham + company, but I'm pretty sure that's highly unlikely. Given these episodes were written before the back half of season 4 was airing, I hope the writers/Scott Gimple quickly took a hint and realized the splitting of the group wasn't working. It's not character development, imo. It just makes me realize which characters I dislike/don't care for. And I kind of find it lazy; if they can't develop a character unless they're forced to when they're the only ones in the episode, that's sort of an issue. 

I kind of think this episode might hold some flashbacks as if I remember correctly, it showed Abraham wearing a shirt other than his tank top in the sneak peek during Talking Dead. 

• Love 5

I wouldn't mind the group splitting up if it meant I learned something new and interesting about the world the characters are inhabiting.  I'm fine with Beth and enjoyed catching up with her, but Dawn was Governor-Lite, and Atlanta looked pretty good for a city that had been napalmed by its own military, over-run by zombies when the refugee center fell and had an entire building explode nearby.  That aspect was pretty disappointing, but I'm not sure how else Beth's adventure could have gone.  It certainly could have been worse but I can't help thinking it could have been better too.  I would have liked meeting some new characters I wouldn't mind seeing as part of the group.  The writers and casting people succeeded with Noah, but I could cheerfully leave Dawn and her crew to be eaten by Walkers.

• Love 3

I could cheerfully leave Dawn and her crew to be eaten by Walkers.

I think a more fitting karmic retribution would be if they didn't wipe out the hospital crew.

Just screw up the hospital's defenses some, knock down a few of the baddies (including the doc), free all the "rescuees", maybe take a few of the Crossmobiles and disable the rest.

Then leave.

Just leave.

Leaving Dawn behind with no company except the remainder of the Rape Rangers.

Dawn might find suicide by walker a preferable alternative.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 3

Here's the big question: Are all the writers on the same page?

If not, then even though this week is suddenly about Abraham instead of Beth, certain obligations may still be in effect.

And there ain't enough alcohol in Texas for me to sit through "Yosemite Sideboobs: The Musical!"

• Love 4

And there ain't enough alcohol in Texas for me to sit through "Yosemite Sideboobs: The Musical!"

Once while hiking in Alaska I found myself face-to-face with a brown bear, with nothing but about twelve feet of air between us.

And several times while scuba diving I have found myself in the company of predators which shit bigger than me on a daily basis.

None of which inspired in me the the horror I experienced upon reading that one sentence.

• Love 6

Once while hiking in Alaska I found myself face-to-face with a brown bear, with nothing but about twelve feet of air between us.

And several times while scuba diving I have found myself in the company of predators which shit bigger than me on a daily basis.

None of which inspired in me the the horror I experienced upon reading that one sentence.

Off topic, but I have to say: you live a very cool life!

Yet you are hanging out with us nerds. Slumming? :- )

Has anyone else noticed the distinct decrease in traffic for this episode? Not just on this site; in fact this site probably has more activity than others.

Even the media releases are stalling. I hope TPTB at TWD are noticing that they shouldn't risk the show like this.

I think Beth's episode got good ratings because people were somewhat interested but also had a hope that there would be either a rescue attempt, a character death, or a reveal of truly mind-blowing practices at Grady Hospital.

(There was even a sanctioned pre-episode release that stated that the hospital had created an entirely different use for human bodies, not the same as Terminus but as shocking in it's own way.)

Well call me a nit-picker but that is not how I would describe throwing bodies down the elevator shaft. Characters have used remains to lure walkers before, and let walkers do the job of "cleaning up" bodies before.

I get the idea of focusing on different sub-groups for character/plot development. But you have to orchestrate that carefully---following a Beth-centric episode with the Short-Bus episode is a good way to start rumors of the show losing it's way. Why not alternate with stronger character episodes, and keep the level of excitement up? DIdn't they learn anything from the Governor saga?

This isn't 1970--viewers don't have 3 choices of network or go to the cinema. There is too much else out there and with all those choices---not to mention a decreased attention span---AMC needs to remember they are lucky people have (so far) been willing to wait 6 months between short seasons.

It's hard to believe we are the same people who were frothing at the mouth less than a month ago, and now we're yeahhh, I'll watch, but...meh.

I've looked up and down the web and I've never seen such quiet about TWD.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 5

Actually, I think YSB is more popular than Beth. I know a lot of book readers, at least, are excited about him.

Even though I enjoyed last week's episode, so many people didn't that we might just be seeing a "Last week sucked so I'm not that excited" slump. I felt the same way after "Gareth makes a speech, then Bob makes ten thousand speeches, then Rick makes a speech, then maybe someone at AMC eventually remembers to turn the lights back on so we can see." Who directed that episode? Shane? 

But once I was surprised by a Beth story that I liked, I cared again. What can I say? I'm a sucker for lollipop jokes.

As far as the use for bodies goes, I think maybe they were referring to using live ones for prostitution and forced labor? 

Hey, maybe the stories will merge. YSB will get captured, because they need somebody to replace Gordon. He will plan to impress Beth by showing her how many lollipops he can fit in his mustache, but his plan will fall apart when Doc mistakes the 'stache for a guinea pig and eats it. Except for a little tiny square. Which of course will cause Dawninatrix to fall in love and make crazy leather monkey sex with him. Then they'll drive off to find Fauxther Gabriel and get married. Rosita will hook up with Tara, there will be a double wedding episode in which Beth sings eight or nine times, and Carol will disappear again for half a season.

Low expectations and, soon, also heavy drinking. This is how I plan to get through tonight.

• Love 3

Cletus, you are one twisted Musashi! I like that in a fellow anonymous TWD message board poster. Now, as for tonight --what's on tap? I'm having white russians. I know, I know. ..it's just, I'm kinda in a Lebowski mood. I think if I approach tonight's ep with a keen sense of the absurdity of it all I might actually enjoy this shit. I mean come on. The Short Bus Adventures of Yosemite Sideboob and His Merry Band of Misfit Toys? Something like that. Off to fire up the ice maker. One always needs lots of ice, in times like these

• Love 5

Honestly, for me it'll probably just be Bud Lite, Speaking of which, I need to run over to Circle K and load up on wide mouth 40s. I love those things. The handle makes a perfect grip, and the height is just right to have on the floor next to your chair and reach easily. Plus, if I drink four of 'em, that's more than a twelve pack, but the only cleanup I've generated is four bottles and four caps. For some reason they drain a lot more cleanly than smaller containers, too, so even if they sit around empty for a while they don't attract fruit flies the way 12 ouncers do.

Now that you mention it, though, I'm wondering if I should get a little bit of something special, just for during the episode. Like when "Pit Boss," a wonderful fake reality show about an all-m***** casting agency that was also a dog rescue, got renewed for a second season, I celebrated the premier with a beer called "Old Leghumper." But what would be the appropriate drink for enjoying the Walking Dud and his ten minute short bus ride, before it either breaks down, runs out of gas, or has too many zombies in the way to drive? Ginger shandy? Don't like it.  Mullet-tov cocktails, to throw at my television set whenever Eugene talks? That might be tempting. Maybe I actually will go to a proper liquor store and see if there's any microbrews called "Flabby Wifebeater," or "Follow the Walrus." Odds are I'll find something. Beer labels nowadays are getting as weird as band names.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 2

I once went in the Under Armour outlet 2 days before Christmas, so, yeah I know what you mean....

• Love 6

I guess I'll be going with Nyquil stingers; mainly because I'm too lazy to go out and get creme de menthe.

I might need something stronger; I'm realizing that we will be halfway through the front eight, and yet in show timeline we've only had a few days of exciting killing. At this rate they might reach the state border mid-way through season 8.

I think I'll call my friends to come over and do inverted margaritas; if I watch the show upside down it will raise my pulse more than 40 minutes of Eugene Porter.

• Love 3

There was a raspberry ginger shandy at the store, but I'm not going to drink that. I toyed with getting some Woodchuck cider, to match the woodchuck on our new fearless leader's face, but ultimately I just opted for some pumpkin ale, in honor of his big orange head. Let me know when there's a Carl episode coming and I'll buy some Magic Hat.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 3

I think there are a few reasons why it's been so quiet (too quiet) this week. First of all, this week features characters that most people don't care about, except for Maggie and Glenn and a lot of people aren't so sure about those two. The showrunners made the mistake of assuming that all the TV audience needed was to be TOLD that Abraham and co. are important characters and they would fall in line behind the comic book fans.  Oops.

Second, I think people are getting tired of these 'bottle' episodes that focus on one or two characters. Last week's episode wasn't the holocaust some people were expecting but is that enough? There's no sign that this episode will be much better than last week's, even though it's a lock that the acting will be. 'Just okay' isn't enough to get people to care.

This is the second episode that Rick Grimes, the main character, won't be featured and it looks like he won't be in next week's either. There are several very loud and obnoxious fanbases attached to TWD who would lead someone to believe this show is about Daryl, or Carol, or Beth, but TWD is about RICK FUCKING GRIMES. It's his story that keeps most people coming back and if he's not in several episodes in a row, the audience starts to get restless. There seems to be a lot of fan pandering this season but maybe Gimple should start pandering to the WHOLE damn audience and not to noisy slivers of it.

I'm going to tune in tonight, because that's what I do on Sunday, but I have even lower expectations than I did last week.  It would be great if we found out what's up with Maggie but I don't think we will since Maggie (like Michonne) seems to be a background character this season. I'll probably tune in next week for Carol and Daryl's Excellent Adventure even though I'm fed up to the back teeth with 'Queen' Carol.  The only thing I'm looking forward to is the mid season finale and for the first time ever, I'm looking forward to the break. I hope AMC does some serious thinking about what they're doing to their cash cow.

• Love 3

TWD is about RICK FUCKING GRIMES. It's his story that keeps most people coming back and if he's not in several episodes in a row, the audience starts to get restless. There seems to be a lot of fan pandering this season but maybe Gimple should start pandering to the WHOLE damn audience and not to noisy slivers of it.

No exaggeration; I would rather watch 15 minutes of Rick than 1 hour of the short-bus clowns. I think they should do a TTD poll on that---I bet TPTB would be shocked by the percentage of people who would agree.

Proof right now: they ran ads for the first 3 episodes that showed snippets of that night's action...but for last week's ep and tonight's ep the ads are all Rick and Michonne and Carol and Daryl--

who aren't even going to be on tonight! They don't show Abe/Eugene/Rosita/etc because that would make people skip it.

• Love 3

I have mini wines, Barefoot something or other.    A four pack, 6.99 at Publix.    Usually I get my wine at Chevron,   but I need something stronger and less cheap, though Night train would have done the trick, strength wise.    If I had cough syrup, I would drink it in honor of my dearly departed ZA boyfriend Bob, but alas I am disgustingly healthy and have none lying around.     

I'd like to propose a drinking game for this episode: Drink every time Abraham's moobs appear on screen.

Now that's just nasty.   Plus, tomorrow is an early day, no can do.    What do you do with moobs, anyway?   ignore them?   Cup them?  Bat them back and forth?     Having had a fiancée with big hooters, I just chose to ignore them. 

• Love 3

Usually I get my wine at Chevron,   but I need something stronger and less cheap, though Night train would have done the trick, strength wise.

Damn, all I have is some SanPellegrino sparkling orange beverage and a bag of Smoky Bacon crisps.  Send supplies; I might not make it.

My old boss said Sterno isn't bad if you strain it through bread first.

• Love 2

Off topic, but I have to say: you live a very cool life!

Yet you are hanging out with us nerds. Slumming? :- )

My job used to have me on the road about a week out of every 4 or 5; after a while, I got to where I felt I was cheating myself if I didn't take advantage of what the various locales had to offer. It's slacked off some in the past few years, but the interim hasn't been boring. :)

I think Beth's episode got good ratings because people were somewhat interested but also had a hope that there would be either a rescue attempt, a character death, or a reveal of truly mind-blowing practices at Grady Hospital.

(There was even a sanctioned pre-episode release that stated that the hospital had created an entirely different use for human bodies, not the same as Terminus but as shocking in it's own way.)

Well call me a nit-picker but that is not how I would describe throwing bodies down the elevator shaft. Characters have used remains to lure walkers before, and let walkers do the job of "cleaning up" bodies before.

I'm hoping there's still more to be revealed about Grady - you know, before our fearless protagonists blow the shiitake out of the works.

There was a raspberry ginger shandy at the store, but I'm not going to drink that. I toyed with getting some Woodchuck cider, to match the woodchuck on our new fearless leader's face, but ultimately I just opted for some pumpkin ale, in honor of his big orange head. Let me know when there's a Carl episode coming and I'll buy some Magic Hat.

Give Hazed and Infused a try, if it's available.

I'd like to propose a drinking game for this episode: Drink every time Abraham's moobs appear on screen.

Well... taking stock, I have half a pint of cognac, a pint of Irish whisky, and half a fifth of Cuervo Gold sitting around.  Don't know if that would be sufficient.

• Love 3

Cletus, you are one twisted Musashi! I like that in a fellow anonymous TWD message board poster. Now, as for tonight --what's on tap? I'm having white russians. I know, I know. ..it's just, I'm kinda in a Lebowski mood. I think if I approach tonight's ep with a keen sense of the absurdity of it all I might actually enjoy this shit. I mean come on. The Short Bus Adventures of Yosemite Sideboob and His Merry Band of Misfit Toys? Something like that. Off to fire up the ice maker. One always needs lots of ice, in times like these

Ice is for pussies, eh!  And my first drink was a Black Russian.   :-)

Well... taking stock, I have half a pint of cognac, a pint of Irish whisky, and half a fifth of Cuervo Gold sitting around.  Don't know if that would be sufficient.

I'll be right over, 'Kay?

• Love 2