Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: The Art Of Construction

• Start Topic

Here's what I'm thinking about Alyssa Milano: because her look is so consistently bad/unflattering whether pregnant or not, she's simply overriding whomever the stylist happens to be at that moment. Clearly she has Vertical Body Dysmorphic Disorder (VBDD™), where she looks in the mirror and thinks she's 5'10". And that's just about the clothes. She's probably also making these awful hair choices on her own because there normally wouldn't be one "stylist" who is deciding on her outfit AND her hair and makeup. 

There comes an unfortunate time in a famous person's life where there isn't anyone around who will say "Um, honey...no."

• Love 7

And sorry to pile on, but I also hate her voice - it's so affected. (Double meow).

It's bizarre, because HMC speaks in this exact, affected, sickeningly sweet tone on Pretty Little Liars. Maybe they had the same bad acting coach on Charmed.

I thought Helen's dress looked like her unconventional material was peanut butter.

LOL.

I had it in the bottom, especially over Chris and Michelle.

5. Kate - Gee Zana, you want to know why you see this sort of thing all the time from its ITS BECAUSE YOU KEEP INVITING HER BACK EVERY OTHER SEASON!

The last two dresses have looked the same. That said, she doesn't actually trot out the hyperfem girly-girl aesthetic that often. I would count her Flower Dress, Glamping Dress, HP Print Dress, Yogurt Dress and Parachute Dress as part of this aesthetic, but that's still only 7 designs out of her 20ish that have appeared on the show.

I am fine with her wanting to advertise for the reality of her business, and actually think it's pretty smart. That said, my favorite Kate is when she tries something edgy and unique (Miranda Lambert, Wallpaper, Bowties, Sombrero) so I will be disappointed to see a barrage of white bridesmaid dresses, even though I liked hers this week.

My top 3 tonight was Fabio, Justin and Gunnar. But I did also quite like Jay and Kate's looks.

• Love 1

Alyssa's voice...add me to the list of those not a fan of the weird tone she puts on when she's trying to act like she genuinely cares, or that something is sad.  That's how I interpret it anyway, and I don't really buy it.

Alyssa's voice...add me to the list of those not a fan of the weird tone she puts on when she's trying to act like she genuinely cares, or that something is sad.  That's how I interpret it anyway, and I don't really buy it.

I've totally noticed this. There's a commercial she did for child hunger that I have to mute because she's straining so hard to convey the gravity of the situation that it comes off like an unconvincing acting job. And I like her, have since she was a little girl, and I'm certain she feels strongly about child hunger.

Just, they hired someone petite with pretty features who people like because she seems affable and unpretentious. It's not especially kind to keep dressing her in clothes and hair she can't carry and forcing her to strain for authority. Let's face it, she's never going to out-hauteur Isaac, and one Isaac is (considerably more than) enough anyway.

Anyway, I'm glad they gave her the cute denim outfit this week, thouugh it will never make that white thing right.

• Love 2

I think Chris March had a right to be upset with Dimitri. From what I could see there were any number of different colors of the bunge cord (there was a quick shot of them piled under a table) yet he picked the exact same multi-colored cord that Chris was working on and the same design concept. I though Issac was an asshole to Chris (jealous much?) during JP. I'm 99 percent sure if the situation had been reversed Dimitri would have raised holy hell. If I were Chris I'd be livid. Dimitri uses Chris' concept and sends his model down the runway with her ass cheek hanging out but he's safe and Chris gets the harsh review from Issac?

I'm speculating but my guess is that Allysa cannot color her hair during her pregnancy and she has a nasty ombre thing going on so they pull it up so only the non colored hair shows. Hey, I have a lot of sympathy for pregnant women and I think there should be a moratorium on criticizing weight gain but I couldn't stand her as a host last season. Her voice and affectation grates on me. She talks as if she is reading everything. It's stilted and garbled.

Edited by stafford
  • Love 2

I'm speculating but my guess is that Allysa cannot color her hair during her pregnancy and she has a nasty ombre thing going on so they pull it up so only the non colored hair shows. Hey, I have a lot of sympathy for pregnant women and I think there should be a moratorium on criticizing weight gain but I couldn't stand her as a host last season. Her voice and affectation grates on me. She talks as if she is reading everything. It's stilted and garbled.

As someone who gained 55 and 59 pounds respectively when pregnant, I for one am definitely NOT criticizing her weight gain (and I don't think anyone else here is either). There are so many fabulous and flattering looks now even for enormously pregnant women, but she seems to go with the opposite of that for some reason. And as we've also pointed out, her non-pregnant choices are bad as well (black bootie-shoes with dresses on a short woman? Nope.)

Edited by panthergirl13
  • Love 3

I'm 99 percent sure if the situation had been reversed Dimitri would have raised holy hell.

Really?  I'm trying to remember Dmitri as being anything but cool and subdued, even when provoked by other designers.  He did have a discussion with Chris about what colors he was going to use, and Chris started a pattern of "I was going to use this...but I guess I'll have to use that."  That indicated to me that Chris was going to change course.  It is one thing to say that Dmitri used the same elements to outright copy Chris, and slightly something else to admit that it was Chris's passive response that gave Dmitri the idea that he could go ahead without conflict. It appears that Chris doesn't want to compete (not with someone like Dmitri who has strong skills of his own)....and aside from the back flash, Dmitri's version looked more interesting to me than Chris's who somehow got permission to have leggings (not unconventional materials) to keep his "skirt" within decency levels (I'm not crazy about these outside hoop skirts which seem to be a fad among some of the designers these days).  Chris is perfectly happy to whine behind Dmitri's back but he isn't willing to be forthright with Dmitri.  No matter what you think of what Dmitri did, it is Chris's response and action that bothers me equally.

• Love 3

She has worn it down on both episodes so far, though, when announcing the challenge to the designers. And, slightly OT but there are hair color brands that are non-toxic and okay to use while pregnant (I know Aveda is one). My speculation is that on each show she has her "everyday" hair (down) and her "runway" hair (up) and her stylist doesn't know how to create a cool, modern, flattering updo. 

Her pregnancy weight gain is not the problem here, the problem is that this show should have access to amazing stylists who could totally be using her to showcase how fashion-forward and cool a woman can look while pregnant (Heidi's maternity gear on the seasons when she was pregnant was always pretty fabulous). Instead, they are totally feeding the common belief that when a woman gets pregnant she is doomed to look large and frumpy.

• Love 7

Liked Jay's fringe effect with the tarp, but hated the silhouette and the non-fringed areas of tarp when he was finished with the dress. I thought for sure he would be at the bottom. Loved his imitation of the airhorn.

Can't believe Dmitry was safe after exposing his model's ass cheek; can't believe Samantha was safe with that mess that she sent down. 

I thought for sure that Chris March would be the one to go, and was relieved when it wasn't because I like him. Wish it would've been Michelle. 

• Love 1

Eh, I agree with Chris that Dmitry straight-up stole his look, at least for the bodice.  I also agree with Dmitry that Dmitry did it better, although for the skirts I preferred Chris's concept of barely-there to Dmitry's execution of barely there.

I think Alexandria's talented, so I was glad to see her sent home for a garment that to me very clearly expressed, "I don't want to be here."

The only actual "Wow" moment for me was Fabio's.  It was lovely, and looked effortless, albeit not constructed of the most unconventional of the unconventional materials.  It appears he's one of those All-Stars who's returned more confident and self-assured, and instead of just putting that into his act, he's putting it into his clothes.

• Love 2

Panthergirl13, I totally agree that Allysa dresses horribly...of course I thought she looked terrible last season sans pregnancy. I'm just relieved she hasn't gone for the skin tight top/dress to accentuate her pregnancy (I, for one, hate the term "bump" to describe a pregnant woman's look. It isn't a bump it's a baby).

I also noticed the boot shoes which look terrible on most women especially petite women. I just can't understand why she is the host. As far as I can tell she makes ridiculous fashion choices (hair, makeup, and clothes) and there is nothing about her delivery that has any spark of animation or quick wit.

Again I don't see why Dmitry gets a pass on using Chris' concept just because he asked what color Chris was going to use for the the skirt and Chris didn't tell him to not copy his concept. Dmitry should have known better. I thought Chris was trying to avoid a major confrontation in the work room and I still believe he had a right to quietly complain about it. Can you imagine the scene if Gunnar or Michelle thought their work was copied? Dmitry admitted he had to scrap his first concept and knew Chris was already using the bungee cords. He should have done something else.

PS I guess you can tell by now that Chris is my all time favorite designer on PR!

• Love 5

Never mind Alyssa's white outfit - what about the blue denim overall/jumpsuit she wore in the opening venue?  And her voice is just horrible.

Loved Justin's and Fabio's looks.

Michelle's was Sears catalogue 1972.

I'm trying to ignore the two idiot "judges" that showed up. One of them looked like she had just wandered in from an all-night bender. Who sits with her legs splayed like that?

I'm wondering if Chris M. is unwell. His color is off.

ETA: Maybe Dmitry used the bungee cords because that's all he had once he scrapped the green outfit.

Edited by pasdetrois

And I too can't figure out why the actual F*** anyone would think Snooki and JWoww would be appropriate to judge fashion under ANY circumstances ... and to put them on the same panel as Elie Tahari?! That made me hostile and distracted during the entire runway portion. It was like the producers took at look at Elie and thought, "Here's an elegant, talented, hardworking and gracious person with rock-solid fashion cred. Who's the exact opposite of that? Let's get THEM on here too." 

ETA: Maybe Dmitry used the bungee cords because that's all he had once he scrapped the green outfit.

I thought it looked like he had piles of bungee cords of all colors under his work station ... I would've been mad too if another designer had used the exact same cord as I, when he had other options. 

Forgot to mention how much I liked Gunnar's chain dress. THAT is how you do unconventional materials fringe dress, AMANDA.

ETA: Okay I just checked and it was Chris who had the piles of different bungee under his table, not Dmitry. Ok then, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because that might have been all he had (and because I lurve him and hated to see my two favorite designers fightin'.) 

Carry on.

Edited by WicketyWack
  • Love 2

He should have done something else.

What other materials did he have to draw from?  The designers only had what they had gathered from the construction site.  Did he have anything other than the green material and the bungee cords?  I suppose he could have borrowed from the other designers...though I am not sure what the choices were since there seemed to be an awful lot of bungee cords and not that much of other materials.  I didn't think Chris was particular quiet about his position on Dmitri...he may not have used a loud voice but he complained to everyone in sight.  I still think, not being on the Chris band wagon, that he should have been more straight forward with Dmitri, but that fashion boat has already sailed.  I wasn't that excited by either Chris or Dmitri in their results, so I am truly hoping for something better in the next episode.  And maybe have some wine with that viewing to help ease the pain.

• Love 1

I am on the Chris bandwagon, but I was bothered by his belief that "another designer is stealing my look so I need to change what I had planned." My first instinct was just as the Formerly Gorgeous Georgina said -- forget about other people and do what YOU do, and kill it! I was surprised that nobody else said anything along those lines to him in the workroom.

I think that even though these unconventional materials challenges are right in his wheelhouse, as an over-the-top costume designer, he was rattled by Dmitry and worried that Dmitry's garment would be better than his. I think he lost confidence in his own abilities and that's where the real problem lay. 

Edited by WicketyWack
  • Love 5

I generally liked Jay's design, but he used that strange, huge stiff sleeve that we saw Sean use on 3 different garments on the original recipe show last season.  Was this show filming while the last show was airing?  And was it Isaac that was commenting on how "fresh" that was?  Because it just looks uncomfortable and awkward to me, and not fresh.

And as far as Chris' look, the model was wearing both high-waisted black briefs AND those black sheer leggings.  I just don't understand how he got away with that without comment.  Sure, models can wear underwear, and maybe they just considered those leggings to be pantyhose, since they were a bit sheer. 

• Love 1

I think that even though these unconventional materials challenges are right in his wheelhouse, as an over-the-top costume designer, he was rattled by Dmitry and worried that Dmitry's garment would be better than his. I think he lost confidence in his own abilities and that's where the real problem lay.

You may very well be right, but I still think Chris doesn't feel very well....his energy levels seem very low and that impacts one's creativity.  I can't imagine him seriously considering Dmitry a threat in an unconventional materials challenge if something wasn't wrong.   I don't think cord tops are all that original...surely we have seen them before in Project Runway contests.  To me, Fabio is the one who did the most original work in a similar material when he turned twine into those panels of color.  The skirt was pretty short but all essentials were covered, and I do wish they had shown more of his technique (and that he had been given more credit for what he accomplished).  And, of course, Justin was pretty amazing with those plastic ties.  Justin is the real competition in unconventional materials challenges. 

• Love 3

Agree about Fabio's technique, I'm dying to know how he did it.  It almost looked like a version of hairpin lace, since they showed him winding the threads around nails hammered into a board.  Though having worked within the construction industry for about 22 years, I cannot figure out how those balls of beautifully colored yarn/thread/twine would be found on a job site, manufactured as it was.  

• Love 3

Agree about Fabio's technique, I'm dying to know how he did it.  It almost looked like a version of hairpin lace, since they showed him winding the threads around nails hammered into a board.  Though having worked within the construction industry for about 22 years, I cannot figure out how those balls of beautifully colored yarn/thread/twine would be found on a job site, manufactured as it was.  

I have zero knowledge about construction other than that some workers use colored wires to tell connections apart.  Perhaps these workers do something with twine to distinguish between different things (I'm being vague because I've no clue what they would be)?  Would twine be used to tie off bundles temporarily?  Wherever he got those rolls, one has to give him credit.  Doing those panels had to take a lot of focus.  The advantage Fabio had was that he seemed to know from the beginning (when he saw the twine) what he was going to do and he got to it as soon as they got to the workshop.  I don't think I took much notice of Fabio when he first appeared but I'm going to pay more attention now.   Project Runway All Stars crashes my browser nearly every time I pull it up...has anyone seen an explanation of Fabio's twine?

• Love 1

I feel like Dmitry should have been called out for sending his model down the runway with her butt hanging out, but my theory is that winners have secret immunity for the first five weeks or so (lest they get sent home early and invalidate past judging decisions). Mess. 

Jeoffrey (sp) was auffed fairly early in his All-Stars run.  Episode 3, I think.  So, I guess returning winners don't have a special immunity. 

...unless Dmitry gets his act together and they are okay re-crowning a former winner.

Seth Aaron won when he did All-Stars, so, they apparently have no problem crowing a former winner

• Love 2

You may very well be right, but I still think Chris doesn't feel very well....his energy levels seem very low and that impacts one's creativity.  I can't imagine him seriously considering Dmitry a threat in an unconventional materials challenge if something wasn't wrong.   I don't think cord tops are all that original...surely we have seen them before in Project Runway contests.  

Well Chris may have been more used to a Project Runway with multi-day challenges.  One day challenges run down even the youngest and the skinniest of designers.  He is neither of those at this point, so I think even two challenges in, the production schedule is wearing on him.  He probably figured that a one day challenge would be hard, but not as hard as it has been.  I think he was certainly put off by Dimiti, and frankly bitch stole your look! but I think he would have taken it better if he had a day or two to figure out how to differentiate his look in the way he wanted to.

Jeoffrey (sp) was auffed fairly early in his All-Stars run.  Episode 3, I think.  So, I guess returning winners don't have a special immunity. 

Seth Aaron won when he did All-Stars, so, they apparently have no problem crowing a former winner

Thats true, but what Jeoffrey sent down the runway to get aufed in all stars was, IIRC spectacularly bad, and could not be ignored. 

• Love 2

I miss when challenges had somewhat of a point and these dresses were, presumably, made to go someplace.

The Unconvential Challenge used to be interesting till PR overdid it. Maybe we should use materials from more than just construction sites, hardware stores, and florists. I know one season had the designers scrambling in the pet shop, several candy land trips, etc. Wish they had stuck to that.

I don't really remember any of the dresses being unusual or different. In a sea of duds, Justin's zip tie wonder was pretty, but not striking.

I'm not sure why Chris had such a major meltdown over the rope. Did he expect someone to NOT use it? It's soft, pliable, moldable - anybody with any sense would snatch them. I'm beginning to agree with Dmitry - it seemed he was more miffed by his better design than vice versa.

Alexandria, do us all a favor and shut up. Your passive-aggressive ice bitch 'tude is so old. I think she rates herself a bit too highly on a scale of self-importance.

Otherwise, what a dull episode.

Oh, and NO ONE should ever wear all over denim. Especially when pregnant. Barf.

• Love 1

this show should have access to amazing stylists

The operative word being "should". Most of the time styling on all the PR's looks terrible; how much talent does it take to make Heidi look beautiful?

I can't stand Mizrahi; he's not clever or amusing like Kors, and his comments are less than helpful. Maybe he thought this gig would propel him back into "high fashion" and he's bitter about being stuck in QVC world, crying as he counts the money.

• Love 3

Take notice on how Alyssa pronounces "forward".

"If I have called your name, please step FOE-WERD."

I notice it every time.  It's a word she has to say so often, how does she not notice it?

The same way my father never noticed that he said, "yallah," instead of yellow. People rarely notice their own accents in that way. They think they're pronouncing the word like everyone else. It's how they hear it.

• Love 2

Poor Aylssa...she is just so wrong for the host of a fashion show. She comes out there looking like a soccer mom going too the annual insurance convention for her husband's company, wearing what she calls her "fancy" clothes, lol.

• Love 6

I've been disappointed by the first two eliminations.  I love Patricia.  She's got a little of the Sandya thing (but with more talent).  She's wildly creative and always going to surprise.  Granted, many of her surprises are butt ugly disasters, but when she gets it right, it's always something totally original, unexpected, and absolutely new.  I would MUCH rather have that around than Wedding Dress Kate or Dishwater Gown Helen or All Talk Gunnar.  At least she's capable of giving us something we've never seen before, which is more than I can say for any of the aforementioned people.  That said, I get that Patricia's strength is textiles more than construction, which is perhaps a poor match for this show since it's defaulted to one-day challenges, so perhaps it's okay for her to leave.  The one day challenges IMO are very hard on designers whose strengths are things that take a little more time and stupidly rewards people who make the same thing over and over again (that they already know how to sew well and quickly) and people whose design aesthetic is what I will charitably call "minimalistic" (like Helen's two rectangles of taupe sewed up the side with minimal makeup and sad, stringy hair).

Also sad to see Alexandra go, though less because I'm really excited by her and more because I think she's a solid designer, and there's still a lot of fat to be trimmed.  Michelle won that horribly devised teams season, and I think this format is really showing her limitations.  Chris, like Patricia, is probably never going to thrive in the one-day format.  I really wish they'd dumped Michelle.  Or maybe Kate for another effing wedding dress. 

ETA:  Alyssa can probably hear herself saying "FOE-ward."  She probably just thinks that's how it's pronounced, since it is pronounced that way in some parts of the country.  I bet she says "yoke" for "yolk," too.

Edited by Rancide
  • Love 1

Haven't Snooki and Jwow been judges on this trainwreck, er, show, before? I seem to remember them from another season, unless I'm misremembering, which is totally something I could do.

Yeah, Tahari is one of my favourite people but he is too gentle for this franchise. I'm sure he has opinions, but he always goes out of his way to say something as nice as possible. Surprisingly, Isaac kind of does the same thing. He seems to seach for something nice to say about anything on the design, so I was gobsmacked when he couldn't come up with anything nice to say about Alexandria's and said so. IMHO, hers was bad, but it wasn't the worst up there.

There were plenty of one day challenges in Chris' season, just as there have been from season one... I guess the difference is that with the newer seasons, MOST of the challenges are one day with an occasional longer challenge, but where they always throw in a twist. However, even in season 4 (the season of March), their avant-garde challenge had a twist thrown in when they had to make a second look which spun off the avant-garde look for retail. I think the main difference is that when they had a one day challenge during the earlier seasons, they did at least have 10 to 12 hours. On the newer seasons, it's been confirmed that some of those one day challenges are literally 6 hours or so. That's not enough time for anyone to make something presentable.

I'm feeling a female win this year because the first three All Stars were won by men, so I'm seriously pulling for either Sam or Sonjia. Dear Flying Spaghetti Monster, I hope that it's not going to be Michelle, Kate or Helen, but if I have to choose between those three, I'm going for Kate. Michelle would be next. If it were Helen, I'll never watch All Stars again.

I dunno y'all, I'm not feeling Dmitry at all this go-round. I almost wish he had stayed away so I would still have all the good feelings I had for his win. I have a comment about that, which is going to be roundly unpopular, so I'll post it in his thread.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 3

Yeah, Tahari is one of my favourite people but he is too gentle for this franchise. I'm sure he has opinions, but he always goes out of his way to say something as nice as possible. Surprisingly, Isaac kind of does the same thing. He seems to seach for something nice to say about anything on the design, so I was gobsmacked when he couldn't come up with anything nice to say about Alexandria's and said so. IMHO, hers was bad, but it wasn't the worst up there.

I feel the same. I don't dislike Isaac and I've felt he tries to find something positive.

I was a bit surprised by how much he hated Alexandria's dress and openly said so. Alexandria's dress wasn't the greatest, but I've seen worse on this show. I've seen worse in stores.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

I wish they would design for events or specfic activities more often. I have never liked the uncoventional materials challenge and I hate team challenges as well. This is supposed to be about picking one person to receive huge prizes, the team stuff is a joke, unless the whole losing team goes.

Trying hard to find someone to root for here. I love Dmtri but so far he is not showing anything. I usually like Chris's stuff but not so far, really. I hate both Kate and her designs. Also Helen, that dress looked kind of disgusting. And Michelle, just ick ick ick. This woman seems to want to look ugly. Her big ole jaw does not suit those ridiculous hairstyles. They are dor perfect faces, like maybe Heidi, Imo, if anyone. I wish one of the other girls would step up.

• Love 1

Jeffrey made it to Episode 6, and was the original source of the "Winner's Immunity" theory. He inexplicably survived the Cocktail dress challenge over Melissa immediately after his poor showing in the Insect challenge the week before. He was spared elimination for his inappropriate School Supply dress in a non-elimination week, and then somehow won the Bonnie and Clyde challenge for a shapeless gray box that he called a coat. He was finally shown for the door for his laughable Marge Simpson dress.

• Love 1

The operative word being "should". Most of the time styling on all the PR's looks terrible; how much talent does it take to make Heidi look beautiful?

Heidi has had her bad fashion moments. It usually is whenever she has something on that's short, tight, shiny, and low cut. A lot of her outfits in the earlier seasons were pretty fugly - moo moo peasant skirts with shiny crop tops, Jimmy Choo shoes, gold hoop earrings, funky jeans or short/shiny/tiny/excessive cleavage mini dresses. I remember she once wore some silver number whose straps were like, crossed over her shoulders and knotted at the back with an ill fitting waistline.

She didn't wear the best outfits either when pregnant. That was when her hems were sky high and she lost all sense of wearing bras and nipple tape while slumped over in dangerously low camisoles and blouses.

But, you know, Heidi can get away with baddish fashion moments. Everything she wears - almost - is too short and too shiny, but when something is really bad, she carries it off with aplomb, unlike Alyssa.

Of course, Heidi is a FOOT taller and even when Alyssa's thin, I'm guessing she's heavier than Heidi by more than 20 pounds, so she has to be more careful. I can't believe after all these years, she has no idea how to dress HERSELF for maximum impact. She's not a youngster anymore and she certainly must have a mirror. No one could put me in something I thought looked bad on me, so I have to throw some blame in her direction.

I actually had taken up for her as hostess because she's such a long time fan of the show, but that's wearing thin for me now. She has no fashion cred... her "designs" are girled up versions of NFL/ NBA/ etc jerseys. Granted, I do like that she isn't afraid to make fun of Isaac to his face, but mostly, IMHO, her opinions seem to be based on what she likes about the designers as a FAN. I'm actually currently liking this show more than the original PR, so I want them to have a host I can fully get behind.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 2

I thought Helen's dress looked like her unconventional material was peanut butter.

When I saw it was made of sandpaper and wood tiles, I started to worry that the model might set herself on fire from the friction if she hustled down the runway too quickly.

I was pretty glad Alexandria went home for that 80s costume - and I thought that was a perfect description of her look. I couldn't believe there was any disagreement over that one to be honest.

It looked like it was designed to ward off unwanted sexual advances--a modern day version of a chastity belt!
  • Love 2

I notice it every time.  It's a word she has to say so often, how does she not notice it?

I'm pretty sure she has affected this weird way of speaking in an attempt to mask her natural Staten-Island-by-way-of-Brooklyn accent. I sure hope she did this on her own and not with a dialect coach because yeesh it's awful. But no more awful than her fashion sense, which is pretty hilarious given the theme of this show.

Not happy to see Helen back, not happy to see Kate Pannekoeken, not happy to see Patricia, not happy to see Gunnar... not wowed by any of the designs thus far... And who will follow in Snooki's illustrious guest judge footsteps? I'm praying for Triumph The Insult Comedy Dog.

Not happy to see Helen back, not happy to see Kate Pannekoeken, not happy to see Patricia, not happy to see Gunnar... not wowed by any of the designs thus far... And who will follow in Snooki's illustrious guest judge footsteps? I'm praying for Triumph The Insult Comedy Dog.

I think Triumph would be funny!

• Love 1

I notice it every time.  It's a word she has to say so often, how does she not notice it?

I'm pretty sure she has affected this weird way of speaking in an attempt to mask her natural Staten-Island-by-way-of-Brooklyn accent. I sure hope she did this on her own and not with a dialect coach because yeesh it's awful. But no more awful than her fashion sense, which is pretty hilarious given the theme of this show.

I have noticed the same pronunciation of foe-werd on some native Californians too (as in born and raised in California, never lived outside the state). These people also pronounce pillow as "pellow' so it's not just one particular letter or vowel. I can't explain it but I laugh every time I hear it.

She has no fashion cred... her "designs" are girled up version of NFL/ NBA/ etc jerseys.

Heh, so Alyssa is a "designer" the same way that Kristin Cavallari is a designer?

ETA: One of the comments about Kristin Cavallari's "fashion line" was hilariously apropos: "It looks like all the bottom looks on a Project Runway NFL challenge."

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Well, they've already had Miss Piggy.  (Which now leads me to wonder who would win the inevitable insult contest between Miss Piggy and Triumph.)

I loved Miss Piggy, but I always have loved her and she was the earliest example of being fabulous and fashionable, so I'm all about Triumph.   I mean if you're going to have a judge that has absolutely nothing to do with fashion, and I mean absolutely nothing (Snooki and JWoww) then at least have someone funny like Triumph.  Lets not try to convince the world that Snooki and JWoww are icons of the fashion world, and should be on stage somehow with Elie Tahari, lets just admit that you are having guest judges that may or may not be part of popular culture.

ETA: Miss Piggy would win because she would end the fight with a karate chop!

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 1

I have noticed the same pronunciation of foe-werd on some native Californians too (as in born and raised in California, never lived outside the state). These people also pronounce pillow as "pellow' so it's not just one particular letter or vowel. I can't explain it but I laugh every time I hear it.

I know what you mean! And out here (meaning Cali) I hear "inslt" instead of "insult". But with Alyssa imo it's her whole fake, stiff-jawed, stilted way of speaking - I think she'd do better to just own her real accent. But then I think she'd do better to get a new wardrobe, too...

ETA: Miss Piggy would win because she would end the fight with a karate chop!

Nah, Triumph would hump her to death. "This is a lotta pork... FOR ME TO POOP ON!"

(but I love Miss Piggy and it was great when they had her as a judge)

• Love 2

But, you know, Heidi can get away with baddish fashion moments. Everything she wears - almost - is too short and too shiny, but when something is really bad, she carries it off with aplomb, unlike Alyssa.

Of course, Heidi is a FOOT taller and even when Alyssa's thin, I'm guessing she's heavier than Heidi by more than 20 pounds, so she has to be more careful. I can't believe after all these years, she has no idea how to dress HERSELF for maximum impact. She's not a youngster anymore and she certainly must have a mirror. No one could put me in something I thought looked bad on me, so I have to throw some blame in her direction.

I actually had taken up for her as hostess because she's such a long time fan of the show, but that's wearing thin for me now. She has no fashion cred... her "designs" are girled up version of NFL/ NBA/ etc jerseys. Granted, I do like that she isn't afraid to make fun of Isaac to his face, but mostly, IMHO, her opinions seem to be based on what she likes about the designers as a FAN. I'm actually currently liking this show more than the original PR, so I want them to have a host I can fully get behind.

Oh, I know Pepper! I was just having a little fun teasing Miss Heidi 'cause I watched this show through the good and bad times! ;-) Generally, I like how she presents herself, though there have been those WTF? moments I laugh about. I think even Heidi herself joked about how she likes things two inches shorter with lots of room for her breasts to be out... Ha.

Alyssa is just one short wack jack fashion job from becoming a legend...in the wrong way. I'm petite and very small framed, so I am constantly hemming my pants and adjusting my dresses...yet she seems to just buy crap for somebody 5'10 and not expect it to look warped??? The cream dress she wore with the lace pattern was pretty at the top, then turned into a dumpling around her stomach and butt. She should sue her stylist of go buy one, FAST.

• Love 1

More cattiness, sorry: How is Zanna Roberts a fashion editor anywhere? From her raggy, fried looking, no style ever hair to her questionable attire I can't see how she was hired. Although she'd be the perfect fashion editor for Mad Magazine

Thank you! I get that she's a big fan of the show and that the show must scrape the bottom of the barrel to find its cast these days, but come on...a mentor? Seriously? I just want to swat her out of the workroom like the mosquito she is and then ask the Burger King sponsor to pay for Joanna Coles. She's worth watching in the workroom. 

I could handle a princess aesthetic and I could even handle a designer returning to her wheelhouse over and over, but someone really does need to tell Kate she's had a few birthdays since her sixth and it's time to realize she's not actually a princess, no matter how hard she plays dress up. And it's about to cross the line from annoying to sad/creepy...put down the tiara and back away slowly.

Alyssa - these.two.QUAR-TERS would buy you a better dress than your StayPuft get up. Also, you sort of talk like a soap operatic Stepford wife. It's weird, but boy I'd laugh if you got to smack the cry out of Helen with that tone.

• Love 3