Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get

I think Stefan's making a kind of classic mistake in assuming that what he did was so bad the the apology part can go unsaid; that maybe he feels it's obvious that he's sorry and doesn't think saying the words would be enough. And they might not be, but it's where he should start.

• Love 1

Overall... I guess it could have been worse. I don't like Damon's idea to tell them that Bonnie wasn't there. I get not wanting people to know that she sacrificed for him- but he should have connected the dots that she'd be alive again the next day. This was already the place where dead Bonnie goes, she can't go anywhere else. I'd much rather see Damon trying to come up with a way to rescue Bonnie than all the Delena stuff. One episode of it is okay- since Damon clearly missed Elena and is in love with her and all that, so all he wants is to see her.   But once he's seen her and knows that they can't just pick up where they left off... he should go back to figuring out how to save Bonnie.  His phone call was sweet, and I agree that Jeremy is going to hear the message and that's how that cat is going to get out of the bag.    Don't care about the Damon/ Elena relationship at all anymore. Damon should just be hanging out with other people.

I could do without Jeremy though... he just annoys... I didn't miss Tyler this week either.  Also glad to see Ivy go... too many new characters that are boring this season...

I'm sort of glad Alaric is human again, there aren't enough humans... do the Gilbert rings still exist? Couldn't he go back to wearing that so he doesn't die? As long as he's not in mystic falls, that magic should still work, right? Or are we going to get some unforseen side effects of his magic cure?

Someone else touched on this upthread, but couldn't Elena hop across the border long enough for the compulsion to wear off, and then cross back before she dies completely? I'd much rather magic macguffin that than watch a whole season of Damon trying to win her over again... I love Damon, but so much more when he's not with Elena.

I wouldn't mind a Stefan/Caroline hook up... the love triangle thing is done right? I mean, this can't go back to Stefan Elena ever, right? Please, say I'm right? I love Stefan too, and used to be a big Stefen/Elena fan, but it's just so over. I want Stefan to move on to someone new (but Ivy was just to random and boring and such a non-entity) and find some happiness for himself... I think Caroline could fit that role if they want to go that direction. But it's going to take some work- which i find a lot more interesting than the Damon/Elena work we're going to get. Stefen, in his grief, was a jerk, so I'm glad Caroline didn't just fall at his feet when he wanted to fix things... maybe it will give him a chance to see what Caroline has been feeling when he decided he couldn't handle seeing/talking toher for 4 months. I do also think he's been getting unfairly dumped on by the others about how he was grieving for Damon, about how he gave up...so I'm glad he had that conversation with Alaric.

Why? She did hate Damon and made it abundantly clear...It's pretty much common knowledge. And his "manpain" was very much in character for a 17 year old kid who has literally lost everyone he's ever cared about: Both his parents, the person his sister used to be, his aunt Jenna, his uncle John, Alaric (before he came back to life), all  of his girlfriends: Vicky, Anna, and Bonnie, his childhood home bc his sister couldn't deal, etc. To be honest, he's the only character on this show who has a right to mopey and whiny, and yet everyone keeps telling him to get over it...while coddling his older sister. 

The more I think about it, the more I hate this show. I am officially hate-watching...and now I'm whining. It's catching 

While I can understand all of Jeremy's hurt... and that he does have a reason to be moody and upset etc... I've never cared for the character much.... he's just been annoying to me, and more so this season. He's just never been a character I could get invested in for whatever reason.  I would be fine if he wanted to go back to was it Colorado? or wherever he was a few seasons ago to grieve and start over... and get away from the vampires and magic and other stuff. Run away for awhile, Jeremy, it's cool with me! I've got some other characters you can take with... even Elena can go if you want :P 

• Love 3

I'm sort of glad Alaric is human again, there aren't enough humans... do the Gilbert rings still exist? Couldn't he go back to wearing that so he doesn't die? As long as he's not in mystic falls, that magic should still work, right? Or are we going to get some unforseen side effects of his magic cure?

There's only one ring left and Matt has it. Esther melted down the other one to use on the last white oak stake so it wouldn't burn up if you stabbed an Original with it. What happened to that stake? I forget.

I'm calling it now with the revelation that Jo is a maybe witch (Unless TVD is bringing in the whole angel arc...or going full on TB and introducing Fairies) that she's the one sibling Kai didn't kill. Her whole "the men in my life always suck/are evil" shtick really made me think it too. (I know I said I'd quit this show, but it comes on before Reign....it's like sucking in air when you know you have sensitive teeth and or cavities. It's painful and yet you can't help but do it anyway.)

Good call, I could see you being very correct! Kai did end up in Mystic Falls from Oregon for some reason...  And if he killed most of his family in 94, and she was a kid then... that would put her about the right age. I'll be expecting this reveal to show up eventually!

There's only one ring left and Matt has it. Esther melted down the other one to use on the last white oak stake so it wouldn't burn up if you stabbed an Original with it. What happened to that stake? I forget.

Ah, thanks... I couldn't remember.... I'd imagine it's not doing Matt much good while he's in mystic falls... but it's fair that he have it after everything he's been through... it's tough being the last real boy :P

Though since daylight rings are so easy to get, I wouldn't be surprised if jo or liv couldn't whip up a new Gilbert ring for Alaric.

Edited by Jjrmt

It's currently being tossed around from hand to hand in New Orleans on The Originals.

I know, right? When he said, "Can you just tell me what you want?" like she was being all mysterious and withholding, I was like, "An apology, to start with? An acknowledgment of how horrible you've been, how horrible you feel about the way you treated her? Anything in that line?"

He was even copping attitude when he said it.  Like she was being ridiculous about the whole thing.  Like he'd spent the last 4 months trying to get her to tell him why she was pissed and she was just pulling the girl thing of telling him to figure it out.  WTF dude?  You know what you did.  Don't act like she is being unreasonable.  You point blank, to her face, more than once, basically said you didn't give a shit about her.  That requires more than an apology.  Dick.

• Love 2

Why? She did hate Damon and made it abundantly clear...It's pretty much common knowledge. And his "manpain" was very much in character for a 17 year old kid who has literally lost everyone he's ever cared about: Both his parents, the person his sister used to be, his aunt Jenna, his uncle John, Alaric (before he came back to life), all  of his girlfriends: Vicky, Anna, and Bonnie, his childhood home bc his sister couldn't deal, etc. To be honest, he's the only character on this show who has a right to mopey and whiny, and yet everyone keeps telling him to get over it...while coddling his older sister. 

The more I think about it, the more I hate this show. I am officially hate-watching...and now I'm whining. It's catching 

I think Bonnie probably hated Damon at first, but I don't think she's actively hated him for awhile now. They were certainly not besties before being sent back to 1994, but I haven't seen much to suggest that she was anything more than annoyed by his antics. Then again, we don't really see much of Bonnie so maybe I'm not fully recalling any active dislike.

I can definitely see why Jeremy would be acting out, but the actor who plays him is just so terrible that it's just cringeworthy and occasionally funny. They need to find the character some nice human babysitter in Alaska that will get him into therapy and make sure he stays far, far away from my television. 

And you're not the only one who is hate-watching. Damn, this show sucks. But there I am on Thursday nights sobbing in a corner while watching the show because I just can't stop.

• Love 1

I think Stefan's making a kind of classic mistake in assuming that what he did was so bad the the apology part can go unsaid; that maybe he feels it's obvious that he's sorry and doesn't think saying the words would be enough. And they might not be, but it's where he should start.

That and Damon isn't requiring one from him, which in Stefan's mind is who he wronged the most, so why should anyone else need one?  I think Stefan's mindset is that anyone else was just collateral damage in his quest to forget about his brother so if Damon's not pissed no one else should be either.  He's concerned with making it up to Damon (which he verbalized a few times last night) and once he feels satisfied that Damon feels taken care of then he's made it up to everyone else too.  I mean, compared to everything else he did to Alaric, Enzo and Caroline....trying so desperately to forget about your brother is a pretty fucked up thing to do.  Understandable given the circumstances but still fucked up.  I would think Stefan's partly thinking that if Damon could get over THAT then Caroline shouldn't care about his petty attempt to get away from her....because in comparison, one is way worse than the other.

And I'm sure there's a bit of "MY BROTHER WAS NEVER COMING BACK AND NO ONE FELT THAT MORE THAN ME!!!  SO WHY ARE ALL OF YOU ON MY CASE!?!?!?"  *stomp stomp* that he's going through too.

Edited by CaughtOnTape

As much as I love the Stefan/Caroline pairing I was so happy that she walked away from him after his attempt at a crappy apology. It’s refreshing to see a female character who DOESN’T just forgive and forget. She let him leave and “start over” and he kept coming back into her life, then he dumps his vampire ex on her doorstep and skips town AGAIN, she has every right to still be angry and hurt. I’m very into their storyline, obviously Caroline said she doesn’t want to be friends anymore because she wants something more but she’s standing her ground and making him work for it.

I really hope Elena never recovers her memories of Damon, like Ric said “she love him too much” and it was unhealthy and gross. I’ve never been a fan of the Damon/Elena pairing but I would like to see them fall in love without the sire bond and her being his brother’s girlfriend. Since the triangle seems to be totally dead (thank god!) this could actually work. Also Damon lying about Bonnie is so going to bite him in the ass, and he better make every effort to bring her back. He owes her that much.

I enjoy the Salvatore’s relationship so much now that they’re not at each other’s throats fighting for the same woman’s affection. They’re actually acting like brothers, I’d also really like to see Damon helping Stefan with his lady problems too.

I was freaking out when all the vamps were over the border dying, I was so happy to see Stefan donning his hero hair again. I knew none of them were gonna die but I still freaked a little. I’m kinda “whatever” about how Jo saved Alaric, what kind of magically gauze works on a gaping hole in your chest?! However I like Jo and I LOL’d when she said Mystic Falls Hospital sucks, lady everything is that town sucks! Also she’s 100% Kai’s sister, it’s obviously but I still like the idea of it.

My favorite line of the night was Matt’s “I'm sorry, I was confused about which vampires we like and which ones we don't.” Me too Matt, me too.

Oh and the Gilbert ring doesn’t work anymore, last season they explained how it only worked because the person would go to the other side while they were “dead” since the other side is gone people won’t come back. Ric needs to seriously invest in some life insurance.

• Love 1

Even if the rings still worked, I don't think Ric would touch them with a bargepole given what happened last time. I wish they'd kept him as a vampire a bit longer - he didn't really use his abilities much at all, but I'm guessing that itself made the writing a bit tricky. It takes the 'heroes in peril' element out when Alaric was unkillable, and something of an invincible bodyguard for Elena. I hope they at least show him adjusting back to being human a bit.

I liked Matt's line about being confused on which vampires we like too. I'm interested to see how Matt aligns himself, with his friends, or with the hunter protecting his town. Tripp is almost a Future Matt, except kinda brutal.

• Love 1

As much as I love the Stefan/Caroline pairing I was so happy that she walked away from him after his attempt at a crappy apology. It’s refreshing to see a female character who DOESN’T just forgive and forget. She let him leave and “start over” and he kept coming back into her life, then he dumps his vampire ex on her doorstep and skips town AGAIN, she has every right to still be angry and hurt. I’m very into their storyline, obviously Caroline said she doesn’t want to be friends anymore because she wants something more but she’s standing her ground and making him work for it.

I really hope Elena never recovers her memories of Damon, like Ric said “she love him too much” and it was unhealthy and gross. I’ve never been a fan of the Damon/Elena pairing but I would like to see them fall in love without the sire bond and her being his brother’s girlfriend. Since the triangle seems to be totally dead (thank god!) this could actually work. Also Damon lying about Bonnie is so going to bite him in the ass, and he better make every effort to bring her back. He owes her that much.

I enjoy the Salvatore’s relationship so much now that they’re not at each other’s throats fighting for the same woman’s affection. They’re actually acting like brothers, I’d also really like to see Damon helping Stefan with his lady problems too.

I was freaking out when all the vamps were over the border dying, I was so happy to see Stefan donning his hero hair again. I knew none of them were gonna die but I still freaked a little. I’m kinda “whatever” about how Jo saved Alaric, what kind of magically gauze works on a gaping hole in your chest?! However I like Jo and I LOL’d when she said Mystic Falls Hospital sucks, lady everything is that town sucks! Also she’s 100% Kai’s sister, it’s obviously but I still like the idea of it.

My favorite line of the night was Matt’s “I'm sorry, I was confused about which vampires we like and which ones we don't.” Me too Matt, me too.

Oh and the Gilbert ring doesn’t work anymore, last season they explained how it only worked because the person would go to the other side while they were “dead” since the other side is gone people won’t come back. Ric needs to seriously invest in some life insurance.

Maybe Jo can make him a new magic ring... and instead of the other side, he can go visit Bonbon in 1994 every time he dies... :P

• Love 3

I really liked that episode best one for me in a long time.

I like Delena but I also like what has been done with them this season. Ian and Nina just really still have great chemistry that hand through the wall scene and the ending scene were good. It seems to me the writers will have them fall in love again and I don't mind it b/c at least this time it can just be about them and NOT have to be tied to poor Stefan losing.

I like that most of the cast is getting stories and great interactions.

I loved Stefan, Enzo and Damon all helping each other get back across the border and that Damon had Stefan save Enzo first to help make up for leaving him behind before.

Kudos Caroline for showing Stefan the hand.

Still don't like Jo and don't think she has much chemistry with Alaric. But yah! Alaric isn't a vampire anymore.

I like Jeremy and loved his breakdown scene with Matt.

I think the Salvatore cousin? greatneice? will also be related to Bonnie and turn out to have Bennet witch powers to bring Bonnie back.

• Love 1

Ha! Perhaps one with less psycho killer attached to it this time :)

I like that most of the cast is getting stories and great interactions.

Same! I think they all have great chemistry with each other probably from working together for 6 years and it's nice to see some interaction between characters that we didn't see in previous seasons, like Tyler/Elena, Damon/Bonnie etc. I mean there's been full episodes where Elena hasn't had a single scene with a Salvatore!

• Love 1

Yeah, I appreciated the continuity of someone telling Stefan to save the other person and Stefan obeying as well. It seems like no matter who Stefan goes to save, that person will always tell him to save their companion first, lol.

I also liked the fact that they were mixing things up with the character interactions. Maybe it's because they realized that the old interactions were getting a bit...stale? Stefan/Alaric is another new pair that have had scenes together more this season than prior, I think.

Couldn't Jo have just stood outside the line and, I don't know, called Alaric to her with some sort of spell? These witches seem rather weak when they get hit with the contrivance bat. First it was Liv last week not knowing how to save someone's life with a spell (SOOO much more powerful than Bonnie, inorite?), and now this week it's Jo.

• Love 1

I've been fast-forwarding any Elena angst (or any time she's on screen basically - just can't stand the character any more) and I've been agreeing with Stefan viewpoint this whole season so far. So why does he have to listen...

All the other inconsistencies and obvious plot turns* kinda belong to this show, no? So I'm not as opposed as I should be, just enjoying the ride :) And I'm obviously the wrong public since I would've been far more interested in a heated discussion on the metaphysics of their purgatory between Kai and Bonnie than having to listen to Damon's heartbreak while completely ignoring rescuing his friend... But well, we're used to that with this show by now, no?

*Like that Kai will obviously be connected to someone else, maybe jo, and that we'll get to see that oregon coven for sure.

I`ve rewatched the entire scene with Alaric trying to free Damon (possibly Enzo, too) and it just makes me mad. 

The only time they`ve invoked the "original vampire" thing was Elena`s compulsion. Other than that, he seemed to be a normal vamp, maybe weaker than others. No I get that he isn`t Evilaric anymore but that guy didn`t have all this power because he was evil but because Esther used the original spell on him. Basically, she made him another Mikael in terms of strength. And we saw him take on the trio of Klaus, Damon and Stefan without breaking much of a sweat.

When I saw this scene in the promo, I figured the rescue op would be like taking candy from a baby. When Klaus freed Caroline from much the same situation - a killer van driven by vamp hunters - you didn`t see much but they basically implied he flipped the freaking van and it cost him but a smile. Elijah would have probably thrown a quarter through the windshield, nailing Trip in the forehead and stopping the car, before straightening his tie. 

Either of them could have done this rescue mission in their sleep. Alaric is at that power level yet he smashes in the windshield and then tussles a bit with Trip, giving the guy ample time to jam a vervain needle into Ric. Are you fucking kidding me? Like seriously, is this a joke? One punch from Alaric could knock that entire van over.  An unkilleable Original can`t handle one little human behind a wheel? With all that speed and strength?

Mind you, I`m of the opinion Stefan, Caroline and Elena should all have easily managed the rescue on their own as well. If someone like Ivy had failed, fine but not an accomplished vamp. They easily fought their way out of so much tougher spots than this. Guess this is the problem of "going small" again with the current baddie. The supposed heroes needed to get a wimpitude downgrade of epic proportions to make it feasible.

• Love 8

Elijah would have probably thrown a quarter through the windshield, nailing Trip in the forehead and stopping the car, before straightening his tie.

Ha, I would pay good money to see that!

What are the chances that Tripp tries to kidnap Alaric before he's transferred to the Whitmore hospital? Imagine the wacky hijinks that will ensue.

"I know you're a vampire!"

"I swear, I'm not! Look, I'm in Mystic Falls!"

[pours vervain on Alaric which does nothing]

"Huh. Okay, maybe you're not a vampire. But maybe I will torture you just in case!"

• Love 2

I guess it was to much to hope that once Damon found out Elena had Alaric erase her memories, he would give up on Elena, and concentrate on saving Bonnie.

Good for Caroline for walking away from Stefan.

Now that Alaric has turned human again, would they try the same thing with Elena or Caroline?

I've never found Matt interesting in any way, but I did like his comments about not knowing which vampires they like or don't, and that death and destruction follow Damon and Stefan Salvatore wherever they go.

Now that Alaric has turned human again, would they try the same thing with Elena or Caroline?

At this point, I wouldn't mind if they tried unsuccessfully and Elena died. The only downside would be watching everyone talk about how perfect and awesome she was. You know they would have to mention her humanity and how she felt soooooo much.

• Love 2

And then....Damon and Bonnie ceremoniously croak but only Damon comes back. I agree Gwen, if Jeremy isn't angry then he probably isn't human because he's been through some dark shit. We haven't even mentioned the multitude of times he himself has died. Also I'm glad that at least someone is fucking mourning Bonnie.

• Love 4

I`ve rewatched the entire scene with Alaric trying to free Damon (possibly Enzo, too) and it just makes me mad. 

The only time they`ve invoked the "original vampire" thing was Elena`s compulsion. Other than that, he seemed to be a normal vamp, maybe weaker than others. No I get that he isn`t Evilaric anymore but that guy didn`t have all this power because he was evil but because Esther used the original spell on him. Basically, she made him another Mikael in terms of strength. And we saw him take on the trio of Klaus, Damon and Stefan without breaking much of a sweat.

When I saw this scene in the promo, I figured the rescue op would be like taking candy from a baby. When Klaus freed Caroline from much the same situation - a killer van driven by vamp hunters - you didn`t see much but they basically implied he flipped the freaking van and it cost him but a smile. Elijah would have probably thrown a quarter through the windshield, nailing Trip in the forehead and stopping the car, before straightening his tie. 

Either of them could have done this rescue mission in their sleep. Alaric is at that power level yet he smashes in the windshield and then tussles a bit with Trip, giving the guy ample time to jam a vervain needle into Ric. Are you fucking kidding me? Like seriously, is this a joke? One punch from Alaric could knock that entire van over.  An unkilleable Original can`t handle one little human behind a wheel? With all that speed and strength?

Mind you, I`m of the opinion Stefan, Caroline and Elena should all have easily managed the rescue on their own as well. If someone like Ivy had failed, fine but not an accomplished vamp. They easily fought their way out of so much tougher spots than this. Guess this is the problem of "going small" again with the current baddie. The supposed heroes needed to get a wimpitude downgrade of epic proportions to make it feasible.

Honestly? It is pretty common on both shows that nobody will use their powers intelligently or even at all unless it's time to wrap up the current plot or for something that doesn't matter to the plot. Whatever else one might consider them good at, the writers are absolutely TERRIBLE at putting genuine threats up against the protagonists of either show that can stand up to them using their powers intelligently, so they end up making both teams forget about their powers and be complete morons all the time just to be able to threaten them at all. As a matter of fact that's the sole reason why hunters like Tripp or even uber hunters like Jeremy was are even a threat at all. Even if Alaric couldn't flip over the truck he should have been more than capable of smashing through the window and snapping Tripp's neck in less than a second at vamp speed or at least knocked him out if Alaric didn't want to kill him, even a regular vamp could do that. Hell, with their supposed speed and strength even regular vamps are supposed to have Alaric could have pulled the passenger door open while the truck was still moving, sat in the passenger seat and shut it before Tripp even realized he was there.

You'd think I'd be used to this by now, but every once in a while like this episode the writers pull that to such an absurd extreme that even I, someone that's been with this show since the first episode is left thinking "WHAT!?!"

It's been stated before, but the only 2 reasons Alaric isn't a vampire anymore is simply so that he and his uber Original vamp powers can't stop any possible threat the writers could throw at the team and so that he couldn't uncompel Elena to keep Damon and Elena apart for a few more episodes. I seriously cannot see why ANYONE on either show would not want to be a vampire at this point much less an unkillable one like Alaric unless they were a witch and even that's not that much better than being human. The only drawback that can't be acclimated to seems to be the need to drink blood a few times a day, no different than the mortal need to eat or drink.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 1

I'm wondering what they'll come up with next, in order to bring back characters, when they supposedly die.

I liked Damon's call to Bonnie's phone. I cringed when the doctor wouldn't drag Alaric back over the border (at least try to).

Agreed with the above posts - the more I think about that scene, the more it frustrates me a bit. As I've already said, I think the writers felt they had to de-power Alaric in order to put our heroes in peril (plus so Elena couldn't get her memories back, but if they wanted to drag out the Damon-Elena reunion, why not just have her keep to her decision to remain compelled?), but in doing so I feel like we've missed out on an interesting storyline of a vampire hunter struggling with becoming the thing he hunted. Especially as Ric was essentially a different kind of vampire from even the other Originals - if they wanted to make him a bit less overpowered, couldn't they have given him a different weakness? Or have him so terrified of his new powers that he drinks vervain and depowers himself without taking away that storyline completely. It feels like there were other options.

• Love 1

I didn't like that the writers made the Originals so unkillable and powerful to begin with.  It took away all the suspense, made everyone look like idiots for continuing to try to kill such an unkillable, powerful creature, and then started making the Originals look like idiots when they found themselves in danger.  {face palm}

I also wish they had stayed with the earlier issues vampires had.  Like when Vicki was turned, couldn't/wouldn't control the bloodlust, and DID NOT have a daylight ring.  Now all the vampires have daylight rings, don't have a problem controlling their bloodlust (unless for plot purposes Stefan has to fall off the wagon), and it doesn't matter if they kill people so long as they don't kill someone the group likes.  {another face palm}

I like Jeremy being upset about Bonnie's death.  I think Jeremy should be upset, angry and in pain that he has lost so many people.  However, the writers have hinted at this with Jeremy before only to drop it midway through, and gloss over everything.

Since they finally have people acknowledging that death and destruction follow the Salvatores, I wonder if Damon and Stefan would try to get Jo or another witch to help them travel back in time to when Elena's parents' car went off the bridge.  They save all three of them, Damon and Stefan leave Mystic Falls, Damon never opens the tomb, and no one else becomes vampires.

• Love 1

I'm going to be very annoyed at this show, more so than normal, if Damon doesn't ask around about the coven who set up 1994 Hell by the next episode. They've been name dropped since the first episode and to put that storyline off for the sake of predictable Delena angst is not something I'm looking forward to and I don't even mind Delena.

I had the same thought about Elena using the town line to uncompel herself but it's probably going to be broken by twu wuv instead. Speaking of the town line I hope it never gets removed and Mystic Falls stays a safe haven for non supernatural beings, sorry Caroline.

It's probably a good thing Ric is no longer a vampire, although I predict he's not fully human either, he doesn't share the groups general You're Not In Our Club Therefore We Don't Care attitude. Which might be why he didn't kill Trip like he so easily could have or just rip the truck door off it's hinges and toss Trip aside. 

Edited by patchwork
  • Love 1

I wonder if Damon and Stefan would try to get Jo or another witch to help them travel back in time to when Elena's parents' car went off the bridge.  They save all three of them, Damon and Stefan leave Mystic Falls, Damon never opens the tomb, and no one else becomes vampires.

That wouldn`t help because IMO Katherine via Isobel and John had already tracked down the new doppelganger and was planning to use her as a bargaining chip with Klaus. And as soon as Klaus learned of Elena`s existence at a time when the human doppelganger still meant the world to him, he would have come and driven a path of destruction across town. Little vampire hunting council wouldn`t have stood a chance.

So while it`s true that the Salvatores brought pain and mayhem, I believe without them a lot of characters would also be dead-dead. There was danger coming no matter if they were there or not.  

Ian and Nina just really still have great chemistry that hand through the wall scene and the ending scene were good.

Really? Because I thought it was blatantly obvious that both of these scenes were shot mostly separately, with them only being in the same shot for like a second. I wonder if they're trying to limit Ian and Nina's screentime together - maybe next they can invent a magic plot twist like Pushing Daisies, where one of them will drop dead if the other one touches him/her. Problem solved.

• Love 1

That wouldn`t help because IMO Katherine via Isobel and John had already tracked down the new doppelganger and was planning to use her as a bargaining chip with Klaus. And as soon as Klaus learned of Elena`s existence at a time when the human doppelganger still meant the world to him, he would have come and driven a path of destruction across town. Little vampire hunting council wouldn`t have stood a chance.

I would totally watch that. Can we do a show reboot, please?

I wonder if they're trying to limit Ian and Nina's screentime together - maybe next they can invent a magic plot twist like Pushing Daisies, where one of them will drop dead if the other one touches him/her.

While I wouldn`t put it past the show, it would IMO be totally ridiculous as well if they did for behind-the-scenes-reasons. Ian and Nina are far from the first real life couple that has to act together as love interests after a break-up. And I actually thought their scenes towards the end of last year had more warmth compared to beginning to middle of Season 5. I also didn`t have a problem with the scenes they had together in the Season 6 Premiere. I do expect them to be professional and do their jobs, regardless.

Right now the show is pushing them as the it-couple big time. This year`s compulsion is like last year`s "Katherine takes over Elena`s body" plot. And the year before that it was "sire bond, followed by Elena flipped her switch". One set of contrived obstacles after another.

I`d far prefer they got back together and then just turned the focus off the relationship somewhat. They can be together in the background while they focus on actual plots for a change. Back when Stefan and Elena were a thing, there was lots of relationship drama but the focus was, for my money, on the fast-paced mini-plots that kept happening. I wish they`d get back to that level of storytelling. 

• Love 5

So IS Jo a witch? She never really answered the question.

If she's a witch, she'll probably have some connection to the Gemini coven which I'm assuming Liz and her brother are apart of.  I really hope she's some new species of supernatural creature or an anomaly like Kai is to really shake things up.  I'm getting tired of the human, vampire, werewolf, witch dynamic.  

• Love 1

I loved when Matt said 'this is the Salvatore brothers house, they're awful'. They liked his sister, his first love, his next girlfriend. maybe his mom- can't remember. They brought the guy who killed his BFF and that guys mom. ......wait why is Matt friends with them?

• Love 2

On a rewatch of this episode, one thing annoyed me more than anything else and that's that Elena's mindwipe of DE once again made Elena the prize and Damon the one waiting at the door. It's a situation I am sick to death of. For once, it would've been nice for Elena to have spent all season pining, wallowing in misery because she didn't have Damon and to make a huge deal of it when he came back. Instead, we once again were treated to Damon being the unwanted stalker and Elena being in the power position. It's so redundant by now. Didn't occur to me until I rewatched tonight, but it's quite disappointing for someone who long ago actually gave a shit about these peoples' love lives.

I haven't seen a problem with Ian/Nina scenes. Any BTS stuff I've seen has also seemed kinda healthy and cool. Almost makes me wonder if they were ever together to begin with. Maybe the whole thing was a publicity stunt lol.

Edited by Moo
  • Love 1

I loved when Matt said 'this is the Salvatore brothers house, they're awful'. They liked his sister, his first love, his next girlfriend. maybe his mom- can't remember. They brought the guy who killed his BFF and that guys mom. ......wait why is Matt friends with them?

Me too!  Is TVD becoming self aware about how awful the protagonists are?

I'm very confused. I thought they burned when they cross the border. Why were bleeding? Actually, now that I'm typing this, is it because their healing powers don't work over the border and they all and injuries to their chests or stomachs? Why didn't they burn??

I'm very confused. I thought they burned when they cross the border. Why were bleeding? Actually, now that I'm typing this, is it because their healing powers don't work over the border and they all and injuries to their chests or stomachs? Why didn't they burn??

They burn in the sunlight because the magic of their rings stop working. I assume they burn faster than the anti-magic barrier can turn them back into sunlight-resistant humans. It was night, so burning was not an issue.

They were bleeding because crossing into the border removed the magic that made them vampires; they turned back into their human selves as they were the moment before they turned; in other words, dying. Stefan and Damon were both bleeding from the bullet they each took courtesy of dear old Papa Salvatore, and Enzo had died of TB, which made him start hacking up a lung, I guess.

Oh! That makes sense! Thank you so much. I thought they were burning because of the barrier and that's what kept them out. That's kind of cool although my only gripe is that if they're turning back into their human selves, shouldn't they not burn?

Edited by ally862

I'm always confused. Is that not normal?

• Love 2

I'm new here! Twop transplant

I may be in the minority, but I really enjoyed damon in this episode and, while I always have been a Damon fan, I'm finding him so likeable this season.

Besides the epic brotherly awesomeness from last week (and continued a bit this week), I loved the scene of him and Elena through the door. He was sweet, soft, and not pushing himself on her. The phone call to Bonnie was amazing and much needed after their time in the 90s (which I SO miss!).

I'll admit to being a little bummed with Damon and Alaric reunion scene.. Just wanted something more there. But I found myself tensed up during that scene, waiting for damon to pounce on Ric, break his neck or something for compelling (and refusing to uncompel) Elena... And then he didn't! Sadly, it's character growth for him, lol.

After the Damon character travesty of last season, all I want is for the writers to let him be this newish person we've seen (different with Bonnie, different in a way with Elena, letting Jeremy down easy, etc). The writers butchered his progress last season by pulling his character backward, back to season 1 or 2 just to serve the plot. Annoying

I do, however, agree that if he doesn't start looking for Bonnie ASAP it's just not believable. Idk why he's assuming she's dead!

That's a head scratcher, as well as Alaric not being a vampire anymore but Elena not getting her memories back... Huh? I don't get it. it's the writers playing fast and loose with mythology and rules. I can hand wave a lot, but honestly my hand's gonna get tired!

Edited by GeekGirlnb