Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get

Episode Synopsis:

When Alaric realizes that Jo can’t be compelled, he asks Elena to do some digging into her background. After learning that Enzo has been captured by Tripp, Caroline teams up with Matt and Stefan to rescue him before Tripp learns their true identities. Armed with some new information about her past, Sarah breaks into Tripp’s office and is surprised when she finds Matt there, doing some investigating of his own. Meanwhile, Elena is forced to deal with the consequences of her actions, and Jeremy hits rock bottom, lashing out in a destructive way. Lastly, Damon is determined to take matters into his own hands when he receives some upsetting news.

Man, I was bored. I miss Bamon, they were fun. Happy with Caroline, telling Stefan she doesn't want to be his friend, he was an ass and needs to make it up to her. He wasn't a very good friend, IMO.

I'm beyond pissed that they're just going to leave Bonnie in hell (for now) and not even try to get her back. Instead it's all about Delana...not interested.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I really liked this episode- I thought Ian Somerholder did a great job on the acting front.  His phone call to Bonnie alone was so sweet.  And I loved his scenes with Stefan.

While I don't necessarily agree with Damon lying to Jeremy, I think it makes sense that he wanted to give some closure to people, rather than tell the truth that he thinks she died in pain and sent him home at her own expense.

And I cheered when Caroline told Stefan to take a hike.

The ending was a big tease, though.  I hope they don't tease the reunion through the whole season.  It will get super boring (and Elena's "new" boyfriend seems kind of weak to me) and tedious.  But one's mileage may vary, and I certainly welcome other people's opinions.

This episode and last week's were the strongest of the season, I think.

• Love 2

OK, I really don't get this Alaric thing. Why wouldn't he just revert to his vampire state when he leaves Mystic Falls? I thought it was because he "died" for a few seconds, and that reset things. But if he died, why wouldn't that end the compulsion Elena was under? I thought that was one of the ways that happened, but maybe I'm mixing up my TVD vampire mythology here.

Otherwise, blehhhh I wish we never had to go back to Delena land. Damon's voicemail to Bonnie was the best part of the episode. Second best was Caroline telling Stefan she doesn't want to be his friend. Third was Alaric admitting he'd given up too. Could have done without basically everything else.

• Love 4

OK, I really don't get this Alaric thing. Why wouldn't he just revert to his vampire state when he leaves Mystic Falls? I thought it was because he "died" for a few seconds, and that reset things. But if he died, why wouldn't that end the compulsion Elena was under? I thought that was one of the ways that happened, but maybe I'm mixing up my TVD vampire mythology here.

I'm guessing it's because he lived past the point in which he originally died. So initially, he got hurt, died, and then the vamp magic happened. This time around, the magic was draining, which would have killed him without the intervention of the doctor. Since she kept him alive even after the magic drained away, he is back to normal.

I missed Bonnie and dislike her being put on the back burner for Damon/Elena crap. Jeremy bores me sometimes, but I love him for actually mourning her.

• Love 3

Just daggering Elijah ended his compulsion of Katherine.  As soon as Alaric "died", his compulsion of Elena should have ended whether he came back to life as human or not.  Mythology breakdown, IMO.

I hate Elena more with each episode.  Could they make her any more cowardly and self-centered?  Ugh.  I shipped Delena so much before and now I just want Damon to forget about her!  Just have Damon, Stefan, Alaric and Enzo hang out - I'll watch that!  Actually, everyone without the last name Gilbert is welcome to stay and hang out together.  That would be way more fun for me!

Damon leaving the voicemail on Bonnie's phone was awesome.  I really enjoyed watching their relationship, they were so fun together and you could see the mutual affection and respect they have for each other.  I hope they bring Bonnie back soon!

• Love 1

The Damon talks to Bonnie scene was awesome.  I really liked Damon in that scene.  Of course he had to cut it short to speak to Elena.  Otherwise I was not overly impressed with Damon tonight.  Ric was so pleased to see him, and what did Damon do?  Got pissier and pissier and left his best friend while in a snit.  Way to go Damon!  Ric needs some new friends.  And what was with the reconciliation scene with Stefan when Ric was all over him last week (or the week before)?  Does Ric need to be in good with a Salvatore or something?  Jo was scary when she was tending to Ric in the field.  I was yelling at the tv for her to just drag him across the barrier already while she looked like Dr. Frankenstein hovering over him, playing god.  I am kind of sorry that Ric is not an unkillable vampire now.  I will now be afraid for his continued safety, although I can hope that the producers learned their lessen when they killed him off the first time.  Of course, Ric is happy to be mortal again, but Elena makes it all about her.  I can't stand this chick!

Happy to see Ivy gone.  Sarah was kind of interesting.  I loved how Matt warned her to run away - far away - from the Brothers Salvatore.  Liked Matt's line about he wasn't sure "which vampires we like." Hope Enzo doesn't hold it against him, but I would have thought Matt would go straight to thinking he had to rescue Enzo for Carolyn and Elena's sake.  Pity he had to be told. Really sick of Jeremy, but I guess he gets points for remembering Bonnie.

Damon and Elena.  Ugh.  Damon was so funny and interesting and layered when he was with Bonnie.  With Elena it's like he has only one note to play, lovesick and horny - ok, two notes.  Gone is the snark, the semblance of light-heartedness, the playfulness.  Gone is cooking or any other action that wouldn't end in sexual activity.  It seems as if Damon's Dick is its own character.  It had a rest and is anxious to get back to work!

Edited by Goldmoon
  • Love 1

I should have known the second Elena and Damon got in each other's orbits again the show would fall to shit.

You want your memories back, Elena? Tie a rope around yourself and have Caroline or whoever hold the other end then walk into Mystic Falls, and bang. you're not compelled anymore. It's one thing to put us on the Delena merry-go-round for the hundredth time but does the show have to cram fake drama down my throat?

I guess Bonnie's going to have to save herself because Christ knows no one else will. I hope she cuts a deal with Kai comes back with him and they merc everybody. Except Matt and Jeremy, they cool.

• Love 2

Yeah, I was wondering if I misremembered TVD mythology.  The whole Katherine/Elijah thing seemed to make it clear that when an original body dies or is put in stasis, the compelled behaviors and memories go away.  It felt so contrived that Elena didn't remember when Alaric basically died, then especially when his vampirism went away.  

• Love 6

And I cheered when Caroline told Stefan to take a hike.

I thought when she said she doesn't want to be friends with him anymore, she was going to say something along the lines of I want to be more than friends. I actually been wanting them to hook up for over a season now!  Let's go writers!  :)

Hi KPC!!!

The ending was a big tease, though.  I hope they don't tease the reunion through the whole season.  It will get super boring (and Elena's "new" boyfriend seems kind of weak to me) and tedious. 

I think I said it last week, Elena and new guy have zero chemistry.

KPC- And did you think Spike and Buffy when Elena and Damon were doing the touching hands through the wall scene,because they did a very similar thing when he was in his crypt and she was outside. I think it was the ep called Dead Things.

• Love 3

I thought when she said she doesn't want to be friends with him anymore, she was going to say something along the lines of I want to be more than friends. I actually been wanting them to hook up for over a season now! Let's go writers! :)

I've been wanting the writers to take advantage of the Caroline/Stefan chemistry since season 2. That said, while I'm pretty sure Caroline wants to be more than friends, I'm glad she told Stefan to take a hike. He's been a real shitheel to her and if he wants her forgiveness (and more!), then he needs to earn it first. He can start with some nice groveling.

There really isn't a precedent on this show for vampires who turn human again and what becomes of the compulsion, so I feel like they can make up any rule they want to here.

So IS Jo a witch? She never really answered the question.

Edited by kariyaki
  • Love 3

Gotta hand it to Ian....when he's called on to look at someone like he's completely in love, he pulls it off.  That look on his face when she opened the door.....GAH!

I love it that they haven't just dropped the whole thing with Stefan feeling guilty.  I hate it when shows do that.  It's clear Damon doesn't give a shit he was forgotten about but Stefan's still trying to make it up to him.  His idea that Caroline forgive him is comical though.  Truly Salvator-ian.  Damon also expects people just to forgive him when he apologizes.  "Whoops....didn't mean to.  But I'm ok now.  We good?"

I don't get the Alaric thing, but I'm under the impression it will be more explained in upcoming episodes so I won't judge for now.  My guess is that the reason the compulsion isn't broken is because he's not actually free of his vampirism....but we shall see I guess.  Jo knew he was a vampire but was rather insistent that she could save his life without moving him out of the borders.  So it's clear she knows something the others don't.

Could care less about Jeremy and his whiny crap.  When Bonnie comes back I hope she hears all of the stupid shit he did while she was gone and she realizes she doesn't need a kid to raise and moves on.

I was also pleasantly surprised by this episode.

Huh I guess I thought that was awfully close to an awesome episode. I liked that keeping Damon and Elena apart meant that we got to focus on them as individuals rather than as "dalena". I mean I fundamentally laugh in the face of the retcons about how Elena's love for him was the "realest thing she ever felt" blech, but Damon disrespecting Elena's choices is pretty damn consistent, and Stefan and Alaric respecting them, is equally so. We even have Jeremy calling him a stalker. I'm probably stupidly falling for the idea they just might not reunite them if only because of some of the backstage awkward. Especially when they threw in that Bamon call and it was more moving than anything else in the episode.

I don't mind the bit with Alaric, because I'm just so happy to have another human, and him specifically back to human, and I can buy that the magic itself drained out of him before he "died" again, thus Elena's compulsion was intact, whereas the staking Eligah is more like suspended vampire death, Ric didn't die, but the magic he possessed was gone. But I liked that Elena wanted the memories back, so she could make a fully informed decision. She felt more old school Elena in that moment than any other time.

I'm still not feeling Caroline and Stefan as romantic, so I'm glad she told him to get bent, but I really hope that wasn't going to lead up to a romance, I much prefer her and Stefan as forever besties, and her with Enzo to be banging.

I actually think Tripp is working well as antagonist, going small, and back to the founding families, really works for me, it's just to bad I'm not digging the Sarah actress since she clearly ties into that part of the arc. I think they are building to a real divide between the vampires and humanity again even amongst the core group: Matt sounded awfully jaded and over vampires, Jeremy is kinda of useless and lost (coming full circle from the pilot). Maybe Bonnie/Jo/Twin Witches/Kai will be the balance of that divide.

The bad, I'm SO glad that all the WHITE witches get to live and every black witch that crossed the screen except one has died like a dog. I thought a couple of the scenes with the actors fell really flat and that never happens outside Dalena for me. Jeremy's breakdown was oddly placed/awkwardly acted I really think he needs to leave town for good, especially while he thinks Bonnie is dead. Ric/Stefan scene was kind of horrible too.

But overall I'm kinda, good with this season, and where I think it's headed. Of course my head canon is that they are headed toward actual real life this is happening Bamon, and that part of that might be Damon *also* becoming human, like Ric, I still think a human Damon is the only really interesting way to go with his character and human Damon would also be less of an issue for Bonnie to fall for.

• Love 1

The bad, I'm SO glad that all the WHITE witches get to live and every black witch that crossed the screen except one has died like a dog. 

Do you mean good witches and bad witches?  I had this knee jerk reaction to this sentence, but I'm really hoping you mean a difference between good and bad witches rather than race.  

Edited by bluebonnet

Do you mean good witches and bad witches?  I had this knee jerk reaction to this sentence, but I'm really hoping you mean a difference between good and bad witches rather than race.  

It's a fairly common complaint about TVD that African American characters, who are usually witches, get murderized with alarming frequency. Only the white characters have ongoing, focused storylines, whereas the black characters seem to exist only to be murdered or to assist the white characters. I'm not sure that it's deliberate, but it is somewhat mind-boggling that it is continuing into the 6th season of the show. 

• Love 7

I loved the way they handled the beginning of the episode, cutting back & forth between people talking about information they just got without making us hear the information. The story advanced through a lot of stuff without taking a lot of time going over old stuff. I thought that was a good sign. I was wrong. They just had to pull that crap with Alaric so that he couldn't give Elena her memories back. Now we're going to have to go through the entire "Elena falling in love with Damon" story. Again. When Jo decided to treat Alaric instead of dragging his body back across the border, I wanted to scream. He was a vampire. He heals. There were also other vampires who could have given him blood to help him heal. Nooooo, they had to come up with a ridiculously convoluted story to make sure Elena couldn't get her memories back. I don't want to spend the rest of the season watching a will she/won't she? story.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2

It's a fairly common complaint about TVD that African American characters, who are usually witches, get murderized with alarming frequency. Only the white characters have ongoing, focused storylines, whereas the black characters seem to exist only to be murdered or to assist the white characters. I'm not sure that it's deliberate, but it is somewhat mind-boggling that it is continuing into the 6th season of the show. 

I get that it's a common complaint and it's valid.  I've just never seen anyone claim to be really happy about it which is why I assumed the poster means good witches over bad witches.  Maybe there is some sarcasm there that I missed?  It just seemed like a random comment in the middle of a post that appeared lacking in any sort of sarcastic tone.  

Maybe there is some sarcasm there that I missed?  It just seemed like a random comment in the middle of a post that appeared lacking in any sort of sarcastic tone.  

I totally read it as sarcasm.

• Love 4

Hooray for Ric getting to be human again!  I was seriously thinking he was a gonner the second Elena said she wanted her memories back.  But this actually works for me.  And I'm amused that there was a whole season devoted to GETTING ELENA THE CURE, and Ric who was resigning himself to his fate gets a cure.  I'm pleased for him.  I won't begrudge Elena her selfish reaction because she also had the sense to be glad for him.  I was more annoyed that the show made Ric getting a cure about Elena.

Jo being a with had best mean she can help them get Bonnie back.  I don't mind her, but I don't care for everyone being magic all the time on this show.  So if they made her a witch, she better be a damn useful one.

Like everyone else, my favorite bit was Damon's call to Bonnie.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts, but those are the things that immediately hit me.

The sound was out of sync for me for the first 20 minutes so that was annoying.  

I enjoyed the episode.  I wonder if Ric really has lost his vampirism?  I hope that his character gets to stick around either way.

I thought it was kind of overkill that they literally broke their cars down to use as a roadblock.  Couldn't they just have left them parked there?  All I kept thinking after Caroline blew out the tire and Stefan tore apart the engine was "Great, now what happens if they have to hurry up and get across town somewhere?"  I know they have vamp speed but cars are obviously a travel-related plus.

• Love 1

The sound was out of sync for me for the first 20 minutes so that was annoying.  

I enjoyed the episode.  I wonder if Ric really has lost his vampirism?  I hope that his character gets to stick around either way.

I thought it was kind of overkill that they literally broke their cars down to use as a roadblock.  Couldn't they just have left them parked there?  All I kept thinking after Caroline blew out the tire and Stefan tore apart the engine was "Great, now what happens if they have to hurry up and get across town somewhere?"  I know they have vamp speed but cars are obviously a travel-related plus.

I was thinking the same thing.  And when the accident happened and dragged them over the town line all I could think is WTF did they block the roads so damn close to the damn line.  Both roads appeared to be two lane roads with no turn offs for 50 plus more yards.  So why have everything happen literally of the edge of death for them?

I realize the answer is "because plot and drama,"  but damn that was dumb.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 3

I'm just wondering if anyone is gonna bother trying that cure again. Stefan (and more surprisingly Damon, who I had the impression had been killed almost instantly) lasted a pretty impressive amount of time across the border while bleeding out. If Dr. Jo was so inclined, he could very well cross the border, have his bleeding stopped long enough to get surgery, and voila, human. (But I would personally do it at like the very edge of the border so if it didn't work Stefan could be yanked back to the still magic-y side before he died.

Enzo's saying he died of consumption seems off to me. Wouldn't vampire blood be able to heal or at least slow down a disease like that? He must have gotten that final shot of vampire blood at the very last second before he died.

• Love 1

I've been wanting the writers to take advantage of the Caroline/Stefan chemistry since season 2. That said, while I'm pretty sure Caroline wants to be more than friends, I'm glad she told Stefan to take a hike. He's been a real shitheel to her and if he wants her forgiveness (and more!), then he needs to earn it first. He can start with some nice groveling.

Bah. Caroline is "so hurt," I hear around. Come on, what show are you watching here? This is Mystic Falls where people forgive each other all the time for murdering each others' friends and family. Caroline was just pissed off at Stefan for friend-zoning her.
  • Love 1

How does Damon know that Bonnie is really dead? Didn't he hear Kai say that he tried killing himself multiple times (I kind of wish I could see that montage a la Groundhog Day)? Why isn't he assuming that Bonnie is stuck with Kai's annoying ass for eternity and trying to get her out?

While I understand why he told everyone that Bonnie wasn't there with him, Caroline & Co. are adults, not three year old children who need to be told that their puppy got sent to a nice farm upstate to play with other puppies (I will exclude Elena from this statement since she got Alaric to compel all her memories of Damon to end her grief and mourning). Yes, Jeremy is angry (and he was very resentful when he talked to Alaric about Bonnie sacrificing herself to save everyone who was on the other side) but doesn't he deserve to know the truth? Maybe he would even find some comfort in hearing some of the silly stories about Damon and Bonnie's adventures. Caroline knowing the truth about how Bonnie died isn't going to make her miss Bonnie any more or less than thinking that Bonnie wasn't in 1994-land with Damon.

If Bonnie is truly dead dead and never coming back, isn't the best way to honor her by telling the truth? If she is gone forever, why does he think it will make any of her friends feel better to think that she wasn't with Damon? And on the off chance that she isn't truly gone, they should be trying to get her out of there. At the very least, Damon needs to take a field trip to visit the coven that sent Kai there and tell them what happened. Did Kai ever explain how he had the ascendent thing in the first place?

When I thought Alaric was going to die (again), I was like nooooooooo, why did you bring him back just to kill him off again, show? I'm glad that he lived and part of me is really glad that he is human again because he didn't like being a vampire. But the other part of me is super paranoid that human Alaric is now so vulnerable to pain, injury, and death (especially now that he is on Tripp's radar). There was something comforting about Alaric being an original because I didn't have to worry about him being killed.

I hope that's what Caroline was thinking when she had major sad face about Alaric becoming human again. As I was watching the episode, I got super annoyed with both Caroline and Elena because it felt like they were just upset about losing someone in their vampire club

I had such mixed feelings about Damon's return. Of course I was sad that it was the end of the Bonnie and Damon road trip comedy because that has been the best part of this season. I loved his reunion with Stefan and I loved his phone call to Bonnie (of course now that we have seen Jeremy say that he has to have her passcode to cancel her cell phone account, it's just a matter of time before he hears Damon's message and knows that he lied about her not being with him in 1994). I also loved the look that passed over Damon's face when Jeremy said that Bonnie hated Damon. Now that he's committed to this lie, Damon can never tell anyone about his friendship with Bonnie.

I was so excited to see Damon's reunion with Alaric so I was really annoyed that Damon spent the whole time bitching about Alaric compelling Elena. I get that Damon just spend the past four months missing her so learning that she has no memory of their relationship must have been like a bucket of water being dumped on him, but dude, calm down!

If Elena really wants to get her memories back, why doesn't she just have Elijah or Rebekah uncompel her? Road trip to New Orleans!

Ugh, Stefan made me so mad when he said, "Can we just get past this please? What do you want me to do? Stop making me guess and tell me so we can go back to being friends again." How about starting with an apology or making any sort of effort to acknowledge that you hurt her feelings? No one should have to tell you to do that. That's what normal people consider manners. When you hurt someone's feelings, you say that you're sorry without being defensive or pissy.

I was really afraid that when Caroline said she didn't want to be friends anymore, she was going to say it was because she wanted to be more than just friends. Blech. Girl, you are Caroline Forbes! Quit chasing after someone who is too self centered to notice that you have been throwing yourself at him for ages. Get a copy of He's Just Not That into You!

While I still don't like Jo as a character, I love that Elena thought she was being so stealthy and Jo figured out that she saved that girl and was snooping in her coffee. But then I got annoyed that she wouldn't just drag Alaric a few feet across the border. Maybe it was on purpose so she could have her hot teacher crush without the vampire guilt.

did you think Spike and Buffy when Elena and Damon were doing the touching hands through the wall scene,because they did a very similar thing when he was in his crypt and she was outside. I think it was the ep called Dead Things.

I totally thought of that episode too!

I thought it was kind of overkill that they literally broke their cars down to use as a roadblock.  Couldn't they just have left them parked there?  All I kept thinking after Caroline blew out the tire and Stefan tore apart the engine was "Great, now what happens if they have to hurry up and get across town somewhere?"

I had the same thought too. The whole point of the cars was to get Tripp to pull over so that they could get Damon and Enzo out of the van, not to actually have Tripp do repair work on their cars. Puncturing a tire and yanking parts out of the engine was overkill. As I was watching Caroline and Stefan sabotage their cars, I thought well how are you going to get all the way back to Whitmore now? isn't driving easier than, say, walking? And what if Tripp isn't completely incapacitated? Don't you want to be able to get away from him in your car?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

That line Sarah had to Jeremy at the beginning of the ep, something like "if it's another girl, you should take a shower first," had me cringing. Gross.

I am not here for another effing season of Damon trying to win Elena over, so I hope he shows some sense and decides to pursue other avenues and let her have fun at college for a bit. It will be interesting when he and Sarah meet, since he just had that flashback about killing her mom.

Sad there was no Bonnie in this episode, when Damon was making the phone call I kept expecting it to flash over to Bonnie waking up and realizing she's stuck with Kai.

I'm glad they're showing Jeremy grieving for Bonnie, but I never really bought the relationship so it's kind of ringing hollow to me. I would have liked it more if everyone had been like "oh hey Damon, wish Bonnie had come back in your place, none for you." I was kind of angry at Stefan for how quickly he went back to his old self once Damon was back. The nerve of him, wanting Caroline to just forgive and forget! I understand that people grieve in different ways (like Elena, who doesn't grieve at all and just avoids) but he just can't act like he never did those hurtful things and everything can just return to normal. 

This kind of felt like a filler episode taking care of some loose ends, like Ric being super powerful. I got a good laugh out of Elena being all "Oh hey, glad you're human again, now I don't need you to compel me, me me me."

That wasn't too bad actually. I'm still loving Damon, something that hasn't been the case for a few years. He's just fun right now, whether whining or not.

One thing though: Ric's vampire side is gone, so shouldn't all his compulsion have worn off? Like when Elijah was daggered and Katherine got out of the tomb. Elijah wasn't dead, he was just out of the game - so with Ric's vampire side out of the game, shouldn't it all go? I'm thinking it's yet another logic fail for the VD writers.

I was so happy to hear Damon says he's sick of people saying how hard it was for Elena. He's so right. It was really hard for her until she erased his memory, and now she's making it really hard for everyone else. This is one of the few times I'm truly hating on Elena. I can't see a side to it that isn't intensely selfish.

I missed Bonnie and I loved Damon saying the same.

I'm glad we've moved onto the Stefan apologises to Caroline portion of the show, but I hope it doesn't linger too much.

Also, Tripp is irritating. I miss Kai.

Bah. Caroline is "so hurt," I hear around. Come on, what show are you watching here? This is Mystic Falls where people forgive each other all the time for murdering each others' friends and family. Caroline was just pissed off at Stefan for friend-zoning her.

It's not about friend-zoning nor even has to do with whether one of them murdered another's friend and everything to do with Stefan taking advantage of Caroline's feelings for him so he could continue in his vein of being selfish and wallowing. Then when he got his brother back and he was all, "whee, let's go back to the way things were before!", Caroline was perfectly within her right to tell him to piss off.

• Love 6

It's not about friend-zoning nor even has to do with whether one of them murdered another's friend and everything to do with Stefan taking advantage of Caroline's feelings for him so he could continue in his vein of being selfish and wallowing. Then when he got his brother back and he was all, "whee, let's go back to the way things were before!", Caroline was perfectly within her right to tell him to piss off.

Well, then I am perfectly within my right to point out that the only reason she's that annoyed over it is that she's in love with him and the guy can't seem to get a hint.

It doesn't matter anyway. Simple plot contrivance to make them end up banging each others' brains out.

My wish has been granted: Ivy is gone. (celebratory chair dancing ensued) Tripp is still made of win for me even though he tried to kill Damon and Enzo, I'm hoping Matt doesn't betray him.

Despite the fact I kept dozing off and the sound was off for the first 20 minutes I kinda enjoyed this ep, except for the return of Damon and Elena. MOVE ON, PLEC. Damon leaving a voicemail for Bonnie was way more interesting than him sniffing around Elena.

As much as I loved that Alaric is human again (I'm assuming?) I've started worrying about him again since he is no longer practically invincible. I still don't care about Jo although I smiled at her dashing Elena's hopes that Elena was being all stealthy while spying on her. If she's really a witch I hope she can help get Bonnie outta purgatory. I actually felt for Jeremy and his loss of Bonnie, and I say that while also admitting I didn't even like their relationship.

I was a surprise Carolina/Stefan shipper but I cheered when she told him to piss off last night. I'm glad the show runners did not have her say she didn't want to be friends with him, she wanted to be more than friends. Not yet, guys, not yet.

• Love 2

Well that was an unusual, mythologically-murky, episode, but I enjoyed it (though I could almost hear Delena fans tearing out their hair; almost makes me glad I don't ship anyone).

I had to feel a bit for Damon that he was expecting the huge slow-motion running into each other's arms thing with Elena, and ended up with precisely none of that and a ride in Tripp's murder-van (also, poor Ivy). Though he probably just needed to give Elena a bit of space at first, but I can understand how that was top of his priority list. I was sad that I was denied my Damon-Alaric bromance hug though.

Speaking of Alaric, add me to the club that are now going to be paranoid about his well-being. I'm thrilled for him personally that he's human again, since he hated being a vampire so much, and the fact that he was pretty overpowered probably caused a headache for the writers, but seeing as he still managed to get himself killed as an original vampire makes me worry about his long-term health. I was screaming at my screen for deus ex machina Jo and the three buff vampires behind her to just drag him across the border instead of standing and watching (vampires obviously make terrible paramedics). I also have to nitpick on Alaric's wounds - pretty sure that when Esther staked him through the heart, it would've done more damage than can be patched up with a gauze. Also, shouldn't he have been pretty injured from being dragged along the road and flipped over a crashing vehicle? Still, he's my favourite character, so I'm not complaining.

Though how did Tripp trap Alaric on the side of the van? I kind of missed that.

I didn't really feel too much on the Caroline-Stefan thing, as I think they'll definitely hook up at some point anyway after all this teasing, but good on her for not falling into his arms.

Damon's lie about Bonnie is definitely going to bite him on the backside at some point, especially if Jeremy finds out. I hope we see the gang actively trying to find out exactly what happened over there, and if Bonnie survived or not.

More thoughts later!

With Jo having saved Alaric from his vampirism, and Damon, Stefan and Enzo who apparently took such a long time to die the first time around that the Mystic Falls anti-magic fog didn't kill them right away, that they could all essentially be cured of it if they wanted. Caroline and Elena for sure, since they died of being smothered and drowning, respectively. Get them kitted up with a gurney, life support equipment, intubated and ready to go, then roll them across the border.

• Love 3

they could all essentially be cured of it if they wanted.

That's why I'm thinking at least one other vamp will become Human. But I think the No Magic Spell will be broken before anyone else can take advantage (?) of it. I want it to be Damon, but I'm sure it will be Elena.

Maybe there is some sarcasm there that I missed?

Uh, yes. I listed that aspect of the episode ( the revelation that Jo a white woman is a witch) as being one of the things that was actively BAD, because it was continuing the Black Witches die ( over and over if you are Bonnie), and yet Luke/Liv/Jo have managed to survive multi season and multi episode arcs still alive and kicking never having perished, something the other black witches haven't managed or been "allowed". It is so so offensive and gross.

Edited by blixie
  • Love 2

Well, then I am perfectly within my right to point out that the only reason she's that annoyed over it is that she's in love with him and the guy can't seem to get a hint.

It doesn't matter anyway. Simple plot contrivance to make them end up banging each others' brains out.

That's a bit extreme.  Stefan's done quite a bit to Caroline specifically to warrant her attitude towards him.  For him to act shocked would be OTT.  He lied to her and cut her out of his life for seemingly no reason (to her) then he treated her coldly while expecting her to handle his mess and now he wants to just apologize and expect her to come running.  Sorry but nope.

Doesn't seem like plot contrivance to me.  He is very well abreast of her feelings for him.  He disappeared from her because he was running from it because he feels the same way about her.  Seems pretty par for the course as far as soapy primetime dramas go.  

Edited by CaughtOnTape
  • Love 1

That's a bit extreme.  Stefan's done quite a bit to Caroline specifically to warrant her attitude towards him.  For him to act shocked would be OTT.  He lied to her and cut her out of his life for seemingly no reason (to her) then he treated her coldly while expecting her to handle his mess and now he wants to just apologize and expect her to come running.  Sorry but nope.

Yep, I totally agree. For at least the last year/season, Caroline and Stefan were probably the most important person in each other's lives. Damon and Elena spent all of Seasons 4 and 5 obsessing over each other and dismantling their relationships with Stefan, deprioritizing him in favor of each other over and over. Caroline was the constant in his life. Even when he had amnesia. They were best friends, but like in a real, deep sense, not in the drinking buddy Alaric/Damon sense.

So he abandoned her while they were both grieving, and fully intended to just leave her behind forever without a word. He was able to talk to their other friends, but not to her. He has been terrible to her, repeatedly, and in myriad ways this season. Just because I understand why doesn't mean Caroline should just forgive him. That's what Elena does with Damon when he screws up because of his manpain. I was so glad they didn't take the easy way out and have Caroline just get over it and let it go as she has so many other things people have done. Stefan needs to earn her friendship back. He needs to put himself on the line for her and prove that he understands how much he hurt her. I'm about a thousand times more interested in seeing them rebuild that relationship than I am in seeing Delena 2: The Reckoning.

• Love 7

Yeah I don't care about a Damon or Elena together or apart which sucks cause they get too much focus.

I'm okay with Caroline telling Stefan to go take a hike when she asked him was he saying goodbye before leaving again all I thought was Steafan should leave its better for him and me if he leaves but he won't.

I know this is really an unpopular opinion but I don't know why Stefan is still in Mystic Falls he should defiantly leave(after helping to bring Bonnie back)

I didn`t really dig this. I mean, it hit all the expected beats but that was disappointing nevertheless.

Now I get why Damon would want to see Elena so desperately. He has all his memories intact and, frankly, not much time has passed since the Season 5 Finale. About four to five months and change. But I do not enjoy seeing him behave like the Katherine-obsession all over. 

It was so much better once he could make peace with the fact that she never really loved him (or anyone really, no matter how infatuated at times she might have been with Elijah or Stefan, it was always number one first) and move on. Elena by comparism did actually love him but again, four measly months, she ran screaming to denial and erasure. I`d rather he be more angry and disappointed over this, enough to stop pursuing her and spare us the drama.

And for goodness sake not over the new Aaron Whitmore. The only thing that will IMO be different with this model is that Damon won`t kill him. Simply because something needs to be shown as different this time.

We all knew something would go awry with Alaric`s ability to uncompel Elena from the moment she said that could be the magical solution if Damon ever came back but boo to this cop-out. For one, I thought Alaric especially becoming a vampire could give him a juicy storyline. They never even played up the uber-vamp stuff so I saw no particular need to depower him. And secondly, why did the freaking compulsion not break when he died? Ridiculous.

Neat how the barrier is now a vamp-cure. Gaping chest wounds? Bullets to the heart? All not a problem. Only neck-snappers need not apply. Elena is so a candidate for it now.

Did seriously only Jeremy truly ask and wonder why Bonnie didn`t come, too? And why does Damon assume Bonnie is dead? His phone-call proved that he is - and it was a sweet scene - but why not assume noone can die in this prison, not just Kai? That is plot idiocy because normally Damon would make a connection like that.

Last episode I felt for Stefan because everyone was picking on him soooo much without doing any better themselves but his "okay, I`m better now, friends again?" convo with Caroline was lame. Good for her on not caving immediately.

In the end, the most profound scene was IMO the one between Damon and Jeremy reminiscing about Bonnie. When Jeremy said she hated Damon and the look on Damon`s face. How his voice was very soft when he told his white lie. I believe he wanted to comfort Jeremy there as much as himself. And the wish to even comfort Jeremy came from a place of "Bonnie would want me to" and "we both miss her".  

Meh. I'm so over how everything is about Damon and Elena's twu love. Poor Alaric can't even have a good story without it being all about them. Now that he's human again I have to go back to worrying that they'll kill him off. On the plus side I am starting to really like Jo. She seems like a  practical person so far. I like that and I hope they keep her that way.

I love the idea of a Caroline/Stefan pairing since, like, forever!  But even I agreed that it was good that Caroline told him off and left him standing in the street.  Stefan's been such a dick to her, he totally deserved that.  I do hope that Stefan will eventually (well, quickly) apologise to Caroline and try to make it up to her.

Otherwise, Stefan is my hero in this episode.  He saved Damon and Enzo; ran across the line bleeding out from his stomach wound and managed to save both Damon and Enzo in the van.  I am still at a loss at how he was able to free them and drag them both out of the van because they were chained up in the back of the van.  Oh well......!

Damon is his usual funny, sarcastic self and it was such a pleasure seeing him interact with Alaric.  It was a little heartbreaking seeing Damon plead with Elena to let him see her.  I'm not really hardcore Delena, but it still moved me.  I hope Elena keeps him at arms length for awhile and see Damon work his way into her affections again.  Wow!  Damon is gonna have to learn to behave like a gentleman!  That would be so cool to see.

Pissed off at Damon because he didn't tell anyone what really happened to Bonnie.  I hope when Jeremy finds out, he'll kick Damon's ass!  I hope Jo will find a way to bring Bonnie back.

Personally, I loved the opening scene of this episode because it showed the Salvatore brothers talking with each other right after last week's tremendous, epic reunion.  It was another gratifying moment with me.  DEFAN FOREVER!

• Love 1

He needs to start with acknowledging what a dick he was and apologizing. He can't even take that first step yet!

I know, right? When he said, "Can you just tell me what you want?" like she was being all mysterious and withholding, I was like, "An apology, to start with? An acknowledgment of how horrible you've been, how horrible you feel about the way you treated her? Anything in that line?"

This is something I feel like the writers fell down on in Season 3 with Stefan and Elena. He was awful to her for 3/4 of that season. First as a Ripper, then as a hate-filled vengeance monster, and I never felt like he adequately apologized or atoned for that. We knew he felt guilty, and he acknowledged that she still loved him in spite of everything he'd done, and said "this is all my fault," referring to her falling for Damon too, but that's as far as it went. It was unsatisfying, as a viewer and former fan of that relationship.

So that's not what I want here.

• Love 2

I laughed at all of Jeremy's manpain moments, especially when he told Damon that Bonnie hated him. Just shut up, Jeremy. He really doesn't deserve Bonnie.

Hated Damon in this episode aside from his message to Bonnie. Why does he have to go back to full blown toddler mode? Pitiful.

At this point, I'm just rooting for Matt to make a break for it and get away from these nutjobs. While I want Bonnie to come back, I'm sure she'll just go back to her usual background role.

I'm calling it now with the revelation that Jo is a maybe witch (Unless TVD is bringing in the whole angel arc...or going full on TB and introducing Fairies) that she's the one sibling Kai didn't kill. Her whole "the men in my life always suck/are evil" shtick really made me think it too. (I know I said I'd quit this show, but it comes on before Reign....it's like sucking in air when you know you have sensitive teeth and or cavities. It's painful and yet you can't help but do it anyway.)

• Love 3

I laughed at all of Jeremy's manpain moments, especially when he told Damon that Bonnie hated him. Just shut up, Jeremy. He really doesn't deserve Bonnie.

Why? She did hate Damon and made it abundantly clear...It's pretty much common knowledge. And his "manpain" was very much in character for a 17 year old kid who has literally lost everyone he's ever cared about: Both his parents, the person his sister used to be, his aunt Jenna, his uncle John, Alaric (before he came back to life), all  of his girlfriends: Vicky, Anna, and Bonnie, his childhood home bc his sister couldn't deal, etc. To be honest, he's the only character on this show who has a right to mopey and whiny, and yet everyone keeps telling him to get over it...while coddling his older sister. 

The more I think about it, the more I hate this show. I am officially hate-watching...and now I'm whining. It's catching 

• Love 5