Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: They'll Have To Go Through Me

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

The final part of the crossover event finds our intelligence unit joined by detectives from New York’s special victims unit to help solve the pedophile ring case. Ruzek and Det. Amaro along with Halstead and Antonio continue to hunt for the link to foster care and child trafficking. Meanwhile Burgess and Roman try to find the shooter from the hospital after using surveillance footage to identify him. Platt shows her deep respect for police and the dangerous work they do by honoring their fallen brother.

Great episode, I really enjoyed it. The only thing that was a glaring hole in the plot was the head paeodiphile apparently being won over by Benson's "do the right thing so you'll sleep better in prison" plot. It just didn't ring true to me. The man abused a foster care system for years without any guilt and ruined so so many children.. I have a hard time believing he'd suddenly be compelled to "do the right thing" unless they offered him some sort of reward besides a good nights sleep in prison.

So Lindsey has a brother.. they kept that hidden well. Poor kid... I wonder if we'll see him again.

Roman is like a little pitbull when he's angry. It's adorable.

They need to make a decision on Halstead and Lindsey. Either they want to keep them as strictly partners or they want to pair them up. Either way, make a decision and commit to it. The producers seem to constantly promote them via twitter and other media outlets yet they seem to scared to go there. Probably in case they lose momentum once they do. It's getting so annoying watching them promote the connection between the two and never follow through though. Half the interviews with the writers promoting the crossover referred to the ~Lindstead connection and then I don't think they shared one meaningful scene in either episode.

Benson and Voight are made of win.... my irritation at Bensons speech to the head of the snake aside, I did appreciate someone pointing out to Voight the ramifications of him using violence as a means to answers.

• Love 3

I love me a gritty crime drama. My sister is only a CF fan, and texted me during SVU - I can't watch this! Yes, a tough storyline, but I thought it was all done well.

In no particular order:

• I still can't warm up to Roman. But I do love that he and Burgess were the ones to ID the baddie.
  • I loved the Benson/Platt interaction. Her heart grew three sizes that day!
  • I admit I, ahem, had something in my eye when everyone lined up outside the precinct.
  • Love Love LOVE that Erin is paying it forward (again) by helping the little girl.
  • Also, I like that Erin always looks like a cop on the job - hair in a pony, no makeup, sensible shoes/boots. I heart Kate Beckett, but sometimes I feel like she's headed to the runway and not on an arrest.
  • Dreamy Patrick Fleuger makes my heart go pitter pat.
  • True to character - when they unlocked the basement room to find the little boy, Rollins looked resigned and not at all surprised. The PD cast looked horrified.

I already hate next week's ep. :-(

• Love 1

I'm looking forward to next weeks episode. Hopefully Antonio finally gets a storyline. He was the original link to Fire and the concept of the show was based around him and then Voight. Sometimes I think they forget Antonio actually exists. It's a waste of Jon Seda's talent.

Does anyone know if anyone can do that salute that the officers did at the end of the episode? I noticed Nadia was doing it and last time I checked she wasn't a cop...

I know a lot don't want it but I wish they would put Halstead and Lindset together romantically. I personally like their chemistry, or maybe it's just because I love Sophia Bush.

Also love Benson telling Voight she wasn't done when he interrupted. Shut his ass up quick.

Great episode, I really enjoyed it. The only thing that was a glaring hole in the plot was the head paeodiphile apparently being won over by Benson's "do the right thing so you'll sleep better in prison" plot. It just didn't ring true to me. The man abused a foster care system for years without any guilt and ruined so so many children.. I have a hard time believing he'd suddenly be compelled to "do the right thing" unless they offered him some sort of reward besides a good nights sleep in prison.

Not to mention he ordered the murder of several people including a cop. It really felt to me like the writers had written themselves into a corner and the only way out was a Hail Mary speech from Benson. 

Like you, I enjoyed having Benson pull on Voight's leash. She did the same when he appeared in the SVU episode and tried to employ his usual methods in the New York interrogation room. And then she went right back to the perp and threatened to leave him alone with Voight for an hour (she figured she might as well use the leverage she's got).

I love me a gritty crime drama. My sister is only a CF fan, and texted me during SVU - I can't watch this! Yes, a tough storyline, but I thought it was all done well.

• I loved the Benson/Platt interaction. Her heart grew three sizes that day!

The best part was the look on Burgess and Roman's faces afterward. It was a predictable gag, but I still enjoyed it.

The other funny part for me was actually when they were chasing that murderer over the rooftops and he didn't make the last jump. I saw it coming, and the way it was framed and shot looked almost like a Looney Toon. I was half expecting Chicago Fire to show up and rescue him, but I guess there wasn't enough time.

Does anyone know if anyone can do that salute that the officers did at the end of the episode? I noticed Nadia was doing it and last time I checked she wasn't a cop...

It would have been really awkward if she was the only one not saluting in that whole line though, right? I would probably have reflexively saluted in her place even if it was technically improper.

I was bored enough to watch this whole crossover starting with Chicago Fire. My take on the Dick Wolf shows on NBC is that they are at their best when they stick to the case rather than focus on the personal lives of the characters (whenever I watch Fire, I fast forward to the cool rescues and skip the rest). This episode of PD had just enough personal stuff to let me know what was going on while still focusing on the case. I like it that way.

Oh I thought she *wasn't doing it. I specifically looked at her as the family got in the car and I thought she wasn't saluting. she absolutely shouldn't have been - LEO only.

• Love 2

I think that she probably held her hand over her heart.

Benson/Voight, please more, they are great together. If not, I am going to fanwank that every now and then they escape their responsibilities and spend a weekend together.

• Love 2

I think that she probably held her hand over her heart.

Benson/Voight, please more, they are great together. If not, I am going to fanwank that every now and then they escape their responsibilities and spend a weekend together.

There was a definite, "Meet me at the Sheraton" type moment between them.

• Love 3

does anyone know if anyone can do that salute that the officers did at the end of the episode? I noticed Nadia was doing it and last time I checked she wasn't a cop

I recently attended the Military funeral of my ex-husband. Doing the playing of Taps,something was said about saluting, didn't really  "hear" what, just that "or" place your right hand over your heart. I did get the impression that if you were not Military, you were to place your right hand over your heart.

All I could think about during this episode was when Patrick Flueger guested on SVU way back when as the kid who unknowingly dated, slept with, and impregnated his half sister.  It was the first thing I've ever seen him in and he was so great in that. I just wanted to give him a big hug.

• Love 2

I'm looking forward to next weeks episode. Hopefully Antonio finally gets a storyline. He was the original link to Fire and the concept of the show was based around him and then Voight. Sometimes I think they forget Antonio actually exists. It's a waste of Jon Seda's talent.

Verified with OnDemand.  Nadia was standing between Ruzek and Antonio but didn't salute the entire time.  She did stand at attention, arms/hands at her sides.  She did not place her hand over her heart.

One thing I noticed, b/c both she and Erin simply pull their hair back, Erin looked a little like her in the initial, quick shot of the officers saluting.  That could be the source of the confusion.  

• Love 1

Add me to the list of thinking Benson and Voight would be a hot couple! Olivia needs some "hot stuff, baby, tonight." ;-)

I know a lot don't want it but I wish they would put Halstead and Lindset together romantically. I personally like their chemistry, or maybe it's just because I love Sophia Bush.

Also love Benson telling Voight she wasn't done when he interrupted. Shut his ass up quick.

Personally, I'd prefer they avoid the extracurricular relationships.  The occasional Erin, Severide interaction/storyline is o.k. - they don't work together and appear on different series.  Guess we don't need to worry about that one for awhile - Erin slowed things down and Severide's married!  Sorta!

WRT the others, however, It's nice if they have chemistry working together and develop work friendships but I'd rather they stick to the COTW for the most part and avoid that territory.  These programs are soapy enough, as is, IMHO

From an acting perspective, I did enjoy the pairing of Mariska with Jason Beghe.  They had chemistry in that sense, too and played off each other very well.  So, that'd be nice to see. 

OTOH, don't know how they'd (occasionally) get Voight and Liv together.  Although I thought this crossover was very successful and fairly seamless, I don't care to see multiple, add'l crossovers in the future.  BTW, I was happy, like most viewers, that Fire only did a brief handoff at the end of their episode.

P.S.  Not that it matters but isn't there an age difference between the Voight/Liv characters?

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

All I could think about during this episode was when Patrick Flueger guested on SVU way back when as the kid who unknowingly dated, slept with, and impregnated his half sister.  It was the first thing I've ever seen him in and he was so great in that. I just wanted to give him a big hug.

Wow, that rings a bell.  Now I remember that episode, too.

The guy hss been funneling innocents into rape for years, just had several people killed to cover it up and now feels enough remorse to confess?

I doubt it.

NBD but IIRC it wasn't a confession they were after, primarily - they needed the location to rescue the other boy.  That said, I agree.  Didn't buy that Liv's impassioned plea that he'd be able to sleep at night if he came clean blah, blah, blah (or something) would be effective.

Instead, if they'd offered him a 1-way ticket to gen pop. unless he gave it up - thought that would work.  Am sure Voight/Olinsky would be happy to contact their warden pal. 

Or, if Liv offered to give him another 5 minutes with Voight while she exited to the ladies' room as she'd done in NYC with the other suspect - that'd be another effective option, IMHO.

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

I recently attended the Military funeral of my ex-husband. Doing the playing of Taps,something was said about saluting, didn't really  "hear" what, just that "or" place your right hand over your heart. I did get the impression that if you were not Military, you were to place your right hand over your heart.

A long time ago in a place very very near that was in civics classes given to elementary school students. Some sports stadiums still ask you to remove your hat during the playing of national anthems. Specific to local police departments may be the difference when hat less in the US Army (yes) and the Naval services (no) should a detective in civilian clothes be there in the salute or hand over heart tradition.

On 11/13/2014 at 5:22 PM, Texasmom1970 said:

I could see the respect in Voight's eyes when she did that. He certainly seems to view Olivia as a person to listen to and who should not be crossed. The whole scene was awesome!

• Love 1