Type keyword(s) to search

The Librarians Media: In the Stacks

Okay, this popped up on my Hulu screen and I'm seriously upset that I didn't know about this sooner. This entire show is pure candy to me. Weird things, Indiana Jones style adventuring, magic and mayhem and items of import. I love this.

So I'll be catching up on this most definitely!

• Love 1

I'm happy this little show is getting another season.  They renewed it a lot quicker than last season even with the ratings not being as strong as last season.  I wasn't sure if it was going to get another season since the ratings weren't going up, but they did seem to stay consistant and not going down which helped I guess.

Now the question is how much will Noah Wyle actually been in it with five more episodes added to the bunch compared to S1 and S2.  I'm guessing even less or not at all. 

It seems 15 is the wrong number. The press release has been amended and it is now a standard 10 episode season according to Matt Mitovich in the comments section.

johnhelvete says:
December 15, 2015 at 3:15 PM
Matt, Your sister site Deadline is reporting 15 episodes for Librarians.
Matt Webb Mitovich says:
December 15, 2015 at 3:18 PM
Fixed; the press release was… confusing.
johnhelvete says:
December 15, 2015 at 3:56 PM
It must have been confusing because Deadline changed the article to 13 for The Librarians.
Matt Webb Mitovich says:
December 15, 2015 at 4:22 PM
…and now is is in fact back to 10. I can barely remember life before this press release dropped.

How many episodes is the current season going to have?  Every Sunday I watch the promos expecting the next week to be the finale and it never is.  This season seems to be lasting forever (not that I'm complaining--at all).

How many episodes is the current season going to have?  Every Sunday I watch the promos expecting the next week to be the finale and it never is.  This season seems to be lasting forever (not that I'm complaining--at all).

Ten this season - bummer that the next is not fifteen, but then, maybe I appreciate it more at ten episodes...20 of some shows are PAINFUL....

• Love 1

Ten this season - bummer that the next is not fifteen, but then, maybe I appreciate it more at ten episodes...20 of some shows are PAINFUL....

I wish it had been 15, because they've really stepped up this season, but maybe they felt as if ten was what they could do a good job on.

Bummer, I was hoping for more--I'm not ready for it to be over.  But whenever I start thinking this I remember how badly Sleepy Hollow went of the rails with more episodes and try (unsuccessfully) to be content.  

Good read.

The part that bothers me in a big way though, is that they caved in to pressure by Wyle and the fans to bring Excaliber back. Yeah, the sword is cute as all hell and lots of people felt its loss, but when you start letting fans write your stories you lose. I'm a fan and I know if I had the skills to plan, sell, write and produce a good TV show I'd be doing it instead of sitting on my ass in my living room watching one. I'm leaving that to the experts. If they continue down this road they'll have another mess like Grimm on their hands. Stop that shit right now.

• Love 2

Mixed emotions here, also.  The show works better for me when it's the LIT's functioning as a team.  When Flynn is around it's the ALL FLYNN ALL THE TIME show.  

My mom has only seen one episode- it was one of the Flynn episodes that aired around Christmas and she was left wondering why they had the trainees at all.  She's in Oklahoma, so I told her the guy playing Jake is from not too far away, and her exact words were, 'he didn't seem to have much to do...'

On the other hand, Noah was a big part of the movie success and the reason this show exists, so maybe other people like the character more than I do?

• Love 3

Mixed emotions here, also.  The show works better for me when it's the LIT's functioning as a team.  When Flynn is around it's the ALL FLYNN ALL THE TIME show.  

My mom has only seen one episode- it was one of the Flynn episodes that aired around Christmas and she was left wondering why they had the trainees at all.  She's in Oklahoma, so I told her the guy playing Jake is from not too far away, and her exact words were, 'he didn't seem to have much to do...'

On the other hand, Noah was a big part of the movie success and the reason this show exists, so maybe other people like the character more than I do?

I love literally every single character on this show, Flynn and Jenkins especially (because I do think Noah Wyle and John Larroquette are amazing actors, and a touch better then the rest - more than a touch in Larroquette's case, heh) but I love them all. I do agree that the Flynn episodes so far have been mostly light on the team, which can be a little frustrating even for me as his fan. I love the team's inner dynamics and I love seeing them interacting in different combinations, depending on the mystery.

That said, I think 7 episodes of Flynn might actually be better, because if his appearances aren't "special" then he won't have to completely take over those episodes leaving very little to the team. If he's more integrated in the story, I think everyone's screentime will be more balanced.

Maybe that's wishful thinking, of course, but there's a chance.

• Love 4

That said, I think 7 episodes of Flynn might actually be better, because if his appearances aren't "special" then he won't have to completely take over those episodes leaving very little to the team. If he's more integrated in the story, I think everyone's screentime will be more balanced.

That's a good point and makes me feel better about it. 

I'm not a big fan of Flynn, so this news is a bit of a bummer for me, too. In all honesty, I only watched the movies after I got into the series, and found them fun enough but utterly forgettable.

My thoughts exactly.

I do agree that the Flynn episodes so far have been mostly light on the team, which can be a little frustrating even for me as his fan. I love the team's inner dynamics and I love seeing them interacting in different combinations, depending on the mystery.

The team dynamics are my favorite aspect of the show as well, though I also enjoy Eve as the de facto lead. I'd be satisfied if they really do make the effort to properly integrate Flynn and don't let anyone fall by the wayside, as has happened in most of Flynn's eps IMO. In the S2 finale I hated seeing Eve reduced to love interest, Jenkins reduced to King Exposition, and the three reduced to quirky sidekicks. We've gotten to see all of these characters as capable of so much more than being the back up singers, so to speak. Heck, in theory there could be some good stories in this as everyone adjusts to Flynn being back in the picture… as long as TPTB don't let Flynn eat the show.

• Love 2

^^ Hmmm. Perhaps they're just using old promo materials from the earlier seasons when he wasn't a full-time cast member?

Also, I saw awhile back on Christian Kane's twitter that Felicia Day and Sean Astin will guest star sometime this season. And there's a cute photo from a charity event in June with the cast plus Jonathan Frakes (if I knew how to link to it I would, but I'm apparently not that techno-savvy).

On 9/20/2016 at 3:13 PM, Maelstrom said:

^^ Hmmm. Perhaps they're just using old promo materials from the earlier seasons when he wasn't a full-time cast member?

Also, I saw awhile back on Christian Kane's twitter that Felicia Day and Sean Astin will guest star sometime this season. And there's a cute photo from a charity event in June with the cast plus Jonathan Frakes (if I knew how to link to it I would, but I'm apparently not that techno-savvy).

Waiting impatiently for the new season.  Love Felicia Day, Love Sean Astin - unless they play truly, truly annoying characters they're two actors that I wouldn't mind seeing return now and then.  And I know Jonathan Frakes directs these and used to direct Leverage - I also hope if I were an actor I'd be more laid back but I can't help thinking if I were on either of those shows I'd about pass out when Commander Riker walked onto the set (or maybe I'd already be out cold after shaking hands with Christian).   OK enough fan girl childishness - but can we bring on S3 already?

• Love 3

I hope they've heard from enough people that the majority of their audience seems to prefer a team focus, not THE FLYNN SHOW.  I don't hate him, but it makes me uncomfortable to see a pretty decent cast standing around like extras while the STAR hams it up.

• Love 3

I don't know that this is true.  Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I know quite a few people that stopped watching because there was "no Noah Wylie" anymore, and "who are all these other people I don't care about".  So I think people may come back that had left prior.

Season 3 premieres next Sunday, Nov. 20th - here's the ep summary from my satellite's guide:

"And the Rise of Chaos" The Egyptian God of Chaos inhabits a human, and tries to release pure evil into the world.

Also, Hulu currently has the first two seasons up, as well as short making-of featurettes for each episode and gag reels (squee!) for both seasons.

• Love 2

Got my Season 1 DVDs.  All the episodes have full commentary; Rebecca Romijn shows up a lot, Lindy Booth a little less often.  The first two episodes have some additional scenes.

I deleted the Season 1 episodes from my DVR, so now I have room to keep the Season 3 episodes.

• Love 1

Dean Devlin just tweeted the following:

Dean Devlin @Dean_Devlin

TNT wants your thoughts on last night's episode of #TheLibrarians. Please fill out this brief questionnaire: bit.ly/LibrariansS3 RT!

9:15pm · 21 Nov 2016 · Twitter Web Client

This should be the direct link for the bitly link above. I have not actually read the questionnaire yet, so I don't know if it is long or web intrusive, etc.

John Rogers confirmed on Twitter that he's no longer involved with The Librarians:

John Rogers Verified account ‏@jonrog1

@Zardozindustry Not on the show anymore, but glad you dig it!

12:44 PM - 22 Nov 2016

I wondered when he only got a "developed by" credit on the premiere. Curious to see what kind of tone/direction the show will have from here on out without him.

Edited by Maelstrom
6 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Not sure which episodes are running, but TNT is showing episodes from 8 PM until at least 1 PM tonight (at least in NYC). Check local listings.

The current season of aired episodes

2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Never too early for a casting news, right?  John Noble will guest in the season 4 premiere, while Rachel Nichols will have a recurring role as (spoilers to be safe) 

Hide contents

Flynn's former guardian.

One of the ones from the TV movies or a previously unknown one?

(edited)
32 minutes ago, AzureOwl said:

Reveal hidden contents

One of the ones from the TV movies or a previously unknown one?

No, Nicole Noone aka Sonya Walger was is last and well only guardian in the movies. The others Gabrielle Anwar and Stana Katic weren't really
guardians Gabrielle played an archaeologist and Stana was a vampire. So this would be a previously unknown guardian.

Edited by andromeda331
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

No, Nicole Noone aka Sonya Walger was is last and well only guardian in the movies. The others Gabrielle Anwar and Stana Katic weren't really
guardians Gabrielle played an archaeologist and Stana was a vampire. So this would be a previously unknown guardian.

But the EW article says that Rachel is playing Nicole Noone. So it's just a recast of the previous character, then. 

I guess they couldn't get Sonya Walger back. I had hoped we'd see characters from the movies show up in the series but I'm not sure I like them coming back recast. Nicole and Eve are a lot a like. It would be fun to see them together. Maybe she'll do a good job.