Type keyword(s) to search

The Librarians Media: In the Stacks

(edited)
21 minutes ago, AzureOwl said:

What I wonder is if the recasting will be acknowledged in-universe.

What, like, "Yeah, I touched a magic thingie that made me blonder, taller and younger.  Yay me."  I do hope they give an explanation for what happened between the first and second movies.

Edited by johntfs
20 hours ago, johntfs said:

What, like, "Yeah, I touched a magic thingie that made me blonder, taller and younger.  Yay me."  

Pretty much.

If there ever was a show were that line wouldn't be out of place, it's this one. 

• Love 4

No way!! Continuum was one of my favourite shows! I heard about walter from fringe but not that awesome!!! And the article did say she died and was being resurrected so that could explain that!

A factor in the recasting probably has to do with the fact that a lot of attention is going to be drawn to comparing Eve and Nicole, both as guardians and romantic interests. And Rebecca Romijin is 5' 11'' (180 cm) tall, while Sonya Walger is only 5' 7'' (170 cm).

There aren't enough apple boxes in the world to make up for that difference in the action and fight scenes. Rachel Nichols on the other hand is 5' 10'' (178 cm). That's just a matter of putting her in the right shoes.

The move to Wednesday rang some alarm bells for me.  As did the 2 shows per week schedule.  And the small number of episodes each season. But Christian Kane tweeting something about not being sure TNT wants them on their network anymore....it's been fun, I guess.

Devlin should probably NOT pitch his next project to them.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, lizzyp said:

The move to Wednesday rang some alarm bells for me.  As did the 2 shows per week schedule.  And the small number of episodes each season. But Christian Kane tweeting something about not being sure TNT wants them on their network anymore....it's been fun, I guess.

Devlin should probably NOT pitch his next project to them.

Wednesday from Sunday’s isn’t a bad beat as Sundays are historically stacked with shows and this year that would’ve meant airing on Christmas Eve since they like to use this show during the holidays. The 2 shows a week could be for scheduling purposes and IIRC they double pumped the first season? Or was that the crime show with Brenthal? Small number of episodes are fine, and in fact I prefer 10 over the usual cable 13 and the broadcast 22.

The last part is where you hit home the most. Reilly wants the gritty dark dramas that is trendy in cable and has ruined USA Network. There are only threee shows left on the air from before he started having a say in shows: Major Crimes, The Last Ship, and The Librarians. Nowwww which one of those three doesn’t belong? Yup, so honestly we are lucky they’ve thought well enough of it as holiday time fare to give it 3 more seasons. If it ends this season I think it’s had a great run all things considering.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Skyfall said:

The last part is where you hit home the most. Reilly wants the gritty dark dramas that is trendy in cable and has ruined USA Network. There are only threee shows left on the air from before he started having a say in shows: Major Crimes, The Last Ship, and The Librarians. Nowwww which one of those three doesn’t belong? Yup, so honestly we are lucky they’ve thought well enough of it as holiday time fare to give it 3 more seasons. If it ends this season I think it’s had a great run all things considering.

I completely agree we've been sooo lucky to get to season 4, every year the librarians has gotten renewed ive been soo happily shocked because ive also heard tnt wants "dark" shows so when i heard that back during season 1 i thought for sure librarians is done since it is the exact opposite of what they are going for. None of their "dark" stuff has really worked out though has it?

I wouldnt say USA network is ruined because i love mr robot and i like damnation (tough to watch more than one episode at a time since its heavy and dark as shit though) but i did watch more of their shows when it was the "blue skies" network. I think "dark and gritty" dramas are dope but so are some light and fun ones so i think all those cable ones should have both like usa should have a mr robot and a burn notice and tnt should have a librarians and a.. whichever one is the first to work out (the alienist looks like it could be good).

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Doyounot said:

I completely agree we've been sooo lucky to get to season 4, every year the librarians has gotten renewed ive been soo happily shocked because ive also heard tnt wants "dark" shows so when i heard that back during season 1 i thought for sure librarians is done since it is the exact opposite of what they are going for. None of their "dark" stuff has really worked out though has it?

I wouldnt say USA network is ruined because i love mr robot and i like damnation (tough to watch more than one episode at a time since its heavy and dark as shit though) but i did watch more of their shows when it was the "blue skies" network. I think "dark and gritty" dramas are dope but so are some light and fun ones so i think all those cable ones should have both like usa should have a mr robot and a burn notice and tnt should have a librarians and a.. whichever one is the first to work out (the alienist looks like it could be good).

USA could have Psych and Mr Robot. In fact Psych after Mr Robot would be a good pairing.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Skyfall said:

There are only threee shows left on the air from before he started having a say in shows: Major Crimes, The Last Ship, and The Librarians. Nowwww which one of those three doesn’t belong?

At this point Major Crimes since this is it's final season.  Hopefully The Librarians gets renewed for season 5.

• Love 1

I think the schedule change makes me nervous because of how they moved Leverage around so much, then didn't do much to advertise the change.  I'm having flashbacks.  So I wouldn't be surprised to hear that TNT is 'slow to announce' a Season 5.  But The Last Ship seems to have short seasons as well, so maybe I'm reading too much into things.  I hope so, anyways.  I sort of love my goofy little heist shows and when they married one to Raiders of the Lost Ark Lite I was hooked.  But losing John Larroquette and his goofy phones would hurt me deeply.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, lizzyp said:

I think the schedule change makes me nervous because of how they moved Leverage around so much, then didn't do much to advertise the change.  I'm having flashbacks.  So I wouldn't be surprised to hear that TNT is 'slow to announce' a Season 5.  But The Last Ship seems to have short seasons as well, so maybe I'm reading too much into things.  I hope so, anyways.  I sort of love my goofy little heist shows and when they married one to Raiders of the Lost Ark Lite I was hooked.  But losing John Larroquette and his goofy phones would hurt me deeply.

Your not the only one nervous. I remember the crap they pulled with Leverage too and worry they'll do the same thing to the Librarians. 

• Love 2

I could never decide for sure what I thought was the most offensive part about Leverage being cancelled.  After the premier it seemed to get a little bit of step child treatment, and there was at least one season that was so poorly promoted that I almost missed the season opener, which I always thought was a bit of self fulfilling prophecy chicken/egg stuff.  We're not promoting because it's got low ratings because we're not promoting because it's got low ratings.  That annoyed me a great deal because it really was a well crafted show.  But the fact TNT dropped it while keeping the Dallas reboot turned me away from TNT until this popped up. I didn't mind Rizzoli and Isles, but it seemed like it went a season or two past it's prime.  Falling Skies got a huge huge amount of promo, and I tried to watch it but I pretty much hated it. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, lizzyp said:

I could never decide for sure what I thought was the most offensive part about Leverage being cancelled.  After the premier it seemed to get a little bit of step child treatment, and there was at least one season that was so poorly promoted that I almost missed the season opener, which I always thought was a bit of self fulfilling prophecy chicken/egg stuff.  We're not promoting because it's got low ratings because we're not promoting because it's got low ratings.  That annoyed me a great deal because it really was a well crafted show.  But the fact TNT dropped it while keeping the Dallas reboot turned me away from TNT until this popped up. I didn't mind Rizzoli and Isles, but it seemed like it went a season or two past it's prime.  Falling Skies got a huge huge amount of promo, and I tried to watch it but I pretty much hated it. 

Exactly. They treated the show crappy barely promoted it and then are surprised when the ratings were down. It really stink. It was a really good show. It was fun and funny. I'm still amazed at how each character grew each season. Especially Parker. 

• Love 3

For the past couple of seasons, TNT did some surveys about the show and one of the questions was whether it fit with TNT's "brand."  I don't know what their brand is, but there's nothing like the show on their lineup.

The thing is, this is a very family friendly show, and that broad demographic range has a certain appeal to advertisers.  If I were a network executive, I'd look at building a family-centric evening, maybe on Friday or Saturday night.

• Love 3

The family friendly aspect is one of the things I love most about it.  I can watch the show with my 10 year old, who LOVES magical things and mythology.  I can sneak in some history on her- like those cookbooks that teach you how to sneak veggies into your kids diet only more fun.

• Love 4

I just that it had been cancelled here where it mentions that  Noah Wyle booked a lead role in a CBS pilot. I was wondering why his role was reduced, I didn't know he signed up somewhere else.

Well, that sucks.

As much as I like Noah Wyle, I liked The Librarians better when he just showed up once or twice a season not every episode so him getting a new show isn't a deal breaker for me. Also, while last season was not my favorite I hope the show finds a new home.

• Love 9
(edited)

My husband said TNT spent all their money on The Alienist which he doesn't like so he is ticked at this news. I like The Alienist, but they really threw a lot of money behind it with advertising and contests. 

And I agree about Noah Wylie. I can live with him not being on the show that much. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think the show has more stories to tell. Maybe they can do a movie or two in the meantime to keep interest alive. 

That would be a great idea. 

• Love 3

I'm really disappointed but the show did go out on a good note. A few further adventure movies wouldn't be a bad thing, though.

Good god, TNT -- what the hell is your problem? You ax Major Crimes -- your most popular show, then this. I have no interest in gloomy, gritty, crime dramas set in any era or locale. There are just too many of them and they're all depressing as hell. I'm just going to have to go back to Netflix binges and audiobooks while I wait for this trend to crash and burn. It will.

• Love 5

It's a sad sick historical trend that when New Smart Highly Paid People are appointed to run a network, they tend to ax the old (and often still money making) shows to put on their own brilliant creations.  Which, as an example, is why the very hyped Will was green-lit while Major Crimes and The Librarians were diddled with.  That Will came and went so fast is not important; the new people have made their mark.

I find The Alienist to be fairly well done (it probably helps that I haven't read the book in twenty years), but to adapt that property was always going to be expensive.  The other stuff that's been added I can barely name (Animal Behavior, Claws?  I've reached the point where shows that are potential actor tour-de-forces about characters whose stories are hugely uninteresting to me are shows I'm not going to watch.) 

(Hey, I've learned to curate my viewing experience!)

So, at the end of March my Turner viewing experience will be reduced to the erratic scheduling of Full Frontal.  Yay?

ETA: I forgot to say that I was astonished Librarians got a fourth season; the vibes a year ago led me to think it would be canceled to clear the way for one of the Great New Shows; when it was renewed, I figured they didn't have enough Great New Shows ready to go....

Edited by kassygreene
  • Love 4
On 3/9/2018 at 8:36 AM, libgirl2 said:

My husband said TNT spent all their money on The Alienist which he doesn't like so he is ticked at this news. I like The Alienist, but they really threw a lot of money behind it with advertising and contests. 

And I agree about Noah Wylie. I can live with him not being on the show that much. 

They seem to do that with 1 big show each year.  They really seem to have their favorites and anything else is left to sink or swim. 

• Love 1

I'm not going to denigrate the other TNT shows because I like more than one genre and I like more than one show on TNT. I like the Alienist. I've enjoyed Good Behavior and I love Claws. Heck, I even liked Will and that show was just off.  As much as I've enjoyed the Librarians, I'm not going to pretend that it doesn't have its faults. It does and this past season was sort of a mess. And while I'm sad that it was cancelled, I'm not surprised nor am I particularly heartbroken over it--I'll save that for Eureka, Limitless, and the cancelled and then uncancelled Timeless. I hope the Librarians finds a new home because I like the actors and the characters, except for Flynn. Additionally, I never felt like the show achieved its true potential. 

• Love 4
On 9.3.2018 at 4:28 PM, mammaM said:

As much as I like Noah Wyle, I liked The Librarians better when he just showed up once or twice a season not every episode so him getting a new show isn't a deal breaker for me. Also, while last season was not my favorite I hope the show finds a new home.

Same here, I like Wyle, but I can do with as little of Flynn as possible.

On 10.3.2018 at 1:18 AM, ceecee said:

I am so done with TNT. 

When I filled out the TNT survey they conducted before the cancellation, I noticed that I am not watching a single of their series except for The Librarians. Granted, I don't live in the US, but we have TNT here as well and watching TV series is part of my job. The Librarians airs on a different channel here though, weirdly enough.

On 10.3.2018 at 2:50 PM, kassygreene said:

I forgot to say that I was astonished Librarians got a fourth season; the vibes a year ago led me to think it would be canceled to clear the way for one of the Great New Shows; when it was renewed, I figured they didn't have enough Great New Shows ready to go....

I don't get why in a time where series pop up like mushrooms and in a lot of cases disappear after one season, they don't make more effort to keep a show with a built-in and loyal fanbase that you don't have to find and cultivate first. I'll also never get the 'the older the series, the less promotion & marketing' rule. It's short sighted.

On 10.3.2018 at 8:57 PM, lizzyp said:

Hopefully they can find a new home and Devlin gets it through his head that TNT is not REALLY his friend.

At this point in time, every network that greenlights your show needs to be viewed as your friend; they might be the only ones. There is so much content going around and apparently so few excecs who can judge what actually works for more than one season, it's not easy.

On 16.3.2018 at 12:41 AM, HunterHunted said:

Heck, I even liked Will and that show was just off. 

I tried to like it, but as a Shakespeare-fan, they made it absolutely impossible. I was actually happy when the season was over. Artistic license is fine, but adding one of Burbage's sisters (there were three in real life btw) into the mix of the already ridiculous authorship debate started in the 1900s was unnecessary, lazy and frankly infuriating. Also, I was bored for 70% of the series and cringing about the acting for a lot of it. The guy playing Burbage was fun to watch though and it's always good to see Colm Meanie on a screen. Sorry for the rant, that show really ticked me off. Not a fan of the convoluted Prospero storyline in The Librarians either btw, I liked this season better.

On 3/9/2018 at 10:56 AM, ganesh said:

I think the show has more stories to tell. Maybe they can do a movie or two in the meantime to keep interest alive. 

I was happy with the way season four ended as a season finale, but it seems kind of a disappointing way to end the series. I would love a movie to wrap it all up and provide a more satisfying ending. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

They should do a massive crossover with Leverage to steal a big artifact!

The possibilities! Stone meeting Elliot. Elliot working w/ Baird to take down a roomful of baddies by themselves. Cassandra wondering why The Lady of the Lake is a thief. Parker looking down on Ezekiel as a two-bit hack thief and him doing everything he could to prove himself to her. Hardison and Jenkins getting on each other's nerves b/c one's the tech genius and the other's a Middle Ages immortal. And, to top it all off, watching Nate's reactions to Flynn's manic behavior.

• Love 4
On 3/23/2018 at 11:35 AM, ganesh said:

They should do a massive crossover with Leverage to steal a big artifact!

Love it. My problem with most fan-fics  Leverage/Librarians crossovers that I have read is that it's just variations of the idea that Elliot and Jake look alike or are brothers. There's a lot more I wish people would do with the characters. @ChelseaNH-If you have found any that are something different from what I have described, post the links or send me a message. 

On 3/23/2018 at 1:29 PM, Loandbehold said:

Elliot working w/ Baird to take down a roomful of baddies by themselves. 

Yes. This would be awesome. 

Parker looking down on Ezekiel as a two-bit hack thief and him doing everything he could to prove himself to her. 

I agree with this and would also add Ezekiel and Hardison geeking out over hacking and techie stuff. I imagine there would more than a few "That was you?" as each finds out about the other's greatest hacks. 

Hardison and Jenkins getting on each other's nerves b/c one's the tech genius and the other's a Middle Ages immortal. 

I don't see it happening that way. To some extent, Hardison and Jenkins are both inventors and like to tinker/play around with things. I think Haridison would be impressed with some of what Jenkins has created. 

to top it all off, watching Nate's reactions to Flynn's manic behavior.

I see Flynn getting on Nate's nerves pretty quickly. Flynn would just instantly rub Nate the wrong way. Later in the episode (which I think needs to be closer to 90 minutes) during a quiet moment when the two are talking Nate would give Flynn advice about how to lead a team.

Also, Sophie and Baird talking about how hard it is to be the responsible one and keep everyone, especially the team leader (Nate and Flynn) under control.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Later in the episode (which I think needs to be closer to 90 minutes)

I imagine this cross-over as a two-hour movie to allow for more and different character interactions. 

2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Also, Sophie and Baird talking about how hard it is to be the responsible one and keep everyone, especially the team leader (Nate and Flynn) under control.  

I was having trouble pairing Sophie w/ someone. I like your idea.

• Love 2
On 3/25/2018 at 3:31 PM, Loandbehold said:

I imagine this cross-over as a two-hour movie to allow for more and different character interactions. 

I thought two hours but I was worried it might get bogged down and scenes would end up being too long to fit the run time. On the other hand, both series have done what were essentially two part finales even though they weren't always labled as such, so two hours could work. I figured you either left Sophie out as an oversight/accidently forgot about her or because you wanted to include her and couln't figure out how best to do so. 

16 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I figured you either left Sophie out as an oversight/accidently forgot about her or because you wanted to include her and couln't figure out how best to do so. 

Forgot about Sophie? You have grievously wounded me. ;)

Edited by Loandbehold
  • Love 2
On 3/25/2018 at 12:31 PM, Loandbehold said:

Sophie buddying up with Jenkins has some very interesting possibilities.

• Love 3