Type keyword(s) to search

The Librarians Media: In the Stacks

Ratings for the premiere episode(s) via Deadline

On the heels of the breakout success for The Last Ship in June, the network’s latest original series, The Librarians, opened with 5.4 million total viewers for its two-hour debut from 8-10 PM last night. The show, an offshoot of the successful TNT movie franchise starring Noah Wyle, was also strong in the demos, pulling in 1.6 million adults 18-49 and 2.1 million adults 25-54.

Looks like a super solid start for the series. I'm excited because, well, I'll support anything with John Larroquette, Jane Curtain, and Bob Newhart attached. 

Showrunner John Rogers has reinstituted his post-show posts at kfmonkey.blogspot.com.  Viewer questions are solicited, but he does have rules:

1. I tend to swear.  Be aware.
  2. Argue to your hearts' content, but please be respectful of each other. I've never had to ban anyone, and I expect that same level of restraint with the new show.  This is my house, not yours, and I do not consider asking anyone to leave my house "censorship."  Basically, don't be a fuckwit.
  3. It doesn't have to be a question.  Your comment below does not need to be a question, it can just be a comment or a shout-out about something you want to discuss with other fans.  That would be cool.
  4. Us writers, you fan.  I love your input, your questions, your theories, even your disdain when it's amusing.  But end of day, my scrappy writers and I are the ones who have to fill 50 pages of empty paper every week which are simultaneously amusing and shootable on a brutally tight budget and schedule and makes three levels of executives happy.  Basically, know that I dig that you watch the show, we should be pals, but that particular line is not crossed.  Our choices are our choices and we earned the right to make them, even if you don't like them.
  • Love 1

Has anyone gotten online viewing from tntdrama.com to work?   I'm trying to watch this show on the road, but when I click on the play arrow nothing happens (on any show).   Two computers and three different browsers!    The same problem happened when I tried to watch the last episodes of Rizzoli and Isles a while back, which I forgot about until now.

Has anyone gotten online viewing from tntdrama.com to work?   I'm trying to watch this show on the road, but when I click on the play arrow nothing happens (on any show).   Two computers and three different browsers!    The same problem happened when I tried to watch the last episodes of Rizzoli and Isles a while back, which I forgot about until now.

They have tweaked there website (again) to make it hard to use (again).  I think the current layout is intended for smartphones and tablets.  I can get it to work but not easily.  My usual suggestion is see if it fails on Internet Explorer; if it does, there is a problem.  But you have tried three browsers, so the other thing that could be wrong is it's not recognizing your login with your internet provider.  This is a feature they have broken often enough.  With the new layout and reduced show information I've stopped watching on their website and am sticking with my cable's on demand.

I'm a recent subscriber to HuluPlus, and they've been promo-ing the hell out of this show.  So, naturally, I assumed it would be available on Hulu.  But, no.  Glad to see it's available on TNT.  

John Rogers said in his latest answer post that Cassandra feels a lot more guilty than it currently appears and that her guilt will be dealt with in a later episode.

<snip>

Which made me feel better.

Considering how well tied together Leverage was (yes, eventually I might stop mourning Leverage; MIGHT!) I have great faith in Rogers to do this.

• Love 1

Considering how well tied together Leverage was (yes, eventually I might stop mourning Leverage; MIGHT!) I have great faith in Rogers to do this.

Yeah, me too. If for no other reason that his team managed to write two adult ships that didn't take over the show, deal in manufactured drama or make everyone involved lose IQ points.

• Love 3

I love the commercials with rave reviews from King Arthur, Cthulu etc.  If I weren't already watching the show, those would get me interested.  Overall, I'm enjoying the show very much.  I always liked the movies and I catch enough of the historical and mythological references to feel like I 'get it' and the references that aren't clear get me interested enough to learn more. 

I panicked a little when I heard double episode next week - burn off was my first thought to.  But checking the episodes they have left if they air one a week the finale will end up on super bowl sunday - so they either double up now or skip a week and show the final ep. on 2/8.

FYI, the final 2 episodes are also doubled up with 9 & 10 both airing on 01/18.

I didn't have any questions about Cassandra or Lindy specifically.  There was a question about how interested I was in the various characters, and another about how interested I was in the various actors.  Perhaps a dozen opinion questions over all.

Just took the quiz, and I noticed a lot of Flynn questions in mine, which makes me think that they are thinking about wherever to upgrade his status or not on this show, once Falling Skies is done, and Noah Wyle's schedule is freed up a bit.  Also noticed the wanted opinions on both Dulaque and Lamia, so it sounds like they could be sticking around for a while.

Still, it was fun enough.  I did make sure to add that I enjoyed Bruce Campbell as Santa, so maybe he could be a yearly thing. 

• Love 1

I noticed that the quiz asked whether the show fit in with TNT, so they may be thinking of moving it to another of their channels. I had to look up what other shows are on TNT and was still stumped as to what they're trying to do with the channel and whether this show fit. I guess SyFy isn't the only one with identity issues.

I didn't have any questions about Cassandra or Lindy specifically.  There was a question about how interested I was in the various characters, and another about how interested I was in the various actors.  Perhaps a dozen opinion questions over all.

This was also like mine.  Very general questions about everyone, what buzz-words did I associate with the show, why types of shows I like/watch on TNT.

Interesting that TNT is thinking about its lineup: it's the channel I watch the most shows on of any channel. I like a lot of their original series and their choices of syndicated shows, especially now with the Grimm block on Wednesdays. If they're trying to do even better I'm all for it.

Their programming choices strike me as kind of scattered.  Some of that is personal preference, I know, but I will never understand the decision to cancel Leverage while continuing Dallas.  It probably wasn't an 'either/or' situation and I'm sure there were a million variables involved in the decision, but the size of the cast on Dallas, and the payroll they must have had make me think it was pretty doggoned expensive to produce.  I also felt like they very aggressively pimped Falling Skies when it was struggling early on.  I remember gazillions of promos for it, and it seemed to get moved into some pretty good time slots.  They still seem to love that show.  As I recall, Leverage got shuffled around quite a bit and didn't get nearly that level of promotion.  I hope they can settle on something and stick with it for a while.

I thought TPTBs on Leverage wanted to end the show? There wasn't an xmas episode planned, and then they decided to do one as a series closer.

Edited by ganesh

That's interesting, because what I've read from Devlin and Rogers sounds more like they would have been happy to continue, but TNT officially cancelled Leverage about 1 week before airing the finale.  Rogers has said that they tried to make each season finale one that could serve as a series finale (because the season renewals were pretty slow to come out with them was sort of implied, not stated) but they both seemed consistent in saying that they would have been happy to have a Season 6 and they had several ideas for stories and guests.  We were supposed to get to meet Nana!

Devlin wrote a lovely open letter to say good-bye and thanks for watching.  I believe it is linked over in the Leverage thread. 

Back to the Librarians - I have a feeling that for whatever reason, the network is being supportive with this show.  They are promo-ing like crazy, and so far (knock wood)  they haven't moved it to a strange time slot without really saying anything.  I hope it continues because I like the show.

I have studying the characters' lines and emotive marks with the story's and plot's developments and had discovered something enticing that left me seeing there's really is only one new Librarian; a replacement for the retiring one. From that revelation I started seeing the rest of the crew with their background story and flavors as support and assistances of a training process for the young inexperience replacement until that replacement can take care of oneself and business on one's own better than that one can do now. (I preferred the word enticing where I had mentioned it mainly because "what do I really know?")

Before I revealed my notes; I will like to hear from others about what they thinking of the possibility of the future for the "The Librarians" storyline first.

I read the letter. Maybe I'm confusing it with "making every season ender a series ender."

That's what I find so frustrating sometimes about written statements - context has to be filled in by the reader!  I never considered the possibility that they didn't want to keep it going, because I didn't want it to end.  My brain looked at the season/ series ender comments and assumed it was because they cared so much about us that they wanted to give us a feeling of closure in case there was no next season because of the evil bad network people.  I feel like I need some therapy now that I look at it from another perspective!

Here's a nice little interview with Christian Kane about the show and his role as Jake (no spoilers) with some Leverage and Angel questions thrown in:

http://www.tvequals.com/2015/01/15/exclusive-librarians-interview-christian-kane-reveals-jake-came-viewers-can-expect/

ETA: Another interview with Dean Devlin:

http://community.ew.com/2015/01/15/the-librarians-season-one-finale-exclusive-video-interview-executive-producer/

It looks like they haven't heard yet about season 2 but he gushes about how great John Rogers script for the finale is.

Edited by cassandle

I had Monday off and all the episodes stored on my DVR, so I watched them in the originally intended order up to the season finale.  They had a nice flow, so I recommend it for rewatching.

1. & 2.)  Crown/Stone
3.)  Horns of a Dilemma
4.) Fables of Doom
5.) Heart of Darkness
6.) Santa
7.) Apple of Discord

8.) City of Light
9.) Rule of Three
10.) Loom of Fate

• Love 1

I've been wondering how much of a difference it made to watch them in order.

It is interesting. Character development has a better flow IMO. Don't understand, why they moved "Rule of three" forward, the build up to the final is a lot better with that episode as penultimate. On the other hand it made more sense to put Flynn's return in the middle of the season. Having Apple of Discord follow the Santa episode though was important I think, for the contrast of Baird being in the end the one who keeps things together by becoming for a moment sort of Santa, and then Flynn bursting into the team and taking over disregarding the team dynamics. Eve showing envy and Flynn pride as the effect of the apple fitted very well into that development. With City of Light right before the finale they might have hoped for some stronger moment of suspense, they saved Baird, and how likely is it to save the same character in episodes back-to-back, they might escape "fate" once but not the second time. Didn't work that much for me though, really would have preferred Rule of three there.

So that's how I would order it:

1. Crown of Arthur

2. Sword of Stone

3. Horns of Dilemma

4. Fables of Doom

5. Santa

6. Apple of Discord

7. Heart of Darkness

8. City of Lights

9. Rule of Three

10. Loom of Fate.

Edited by katusch

I figured once it got to a month with no word it wasn't coming back... I'm a bit surprised at just how happy I was seeing the Facebook page of the shows and CKs that a season 2 will happen. Admittedly there are still 2 episodes I haven't seen and I wasn't rushing to the TV to watch but it's good and it has potential and I'm glad to see a network sticking with a show like this with potential.

Labor Day marathon on TNT starting at noon Eastern

Crap! I missed it. I wonder if they'll run again before the season starts.

ETA: My autocorrect is upset I missed it too & changed wonder to worse.

Edited by ramble