Type keyword(s) to search

TV Themes: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

• Start Topic

I love The Hill Street Blues theme. One of my favorite instrumental pieces.

I'm coming back to this since we're in mid-Mike Post breakdown of many of his songs.

I've always been torn on the Hill Street Blues theme.  On the good side, it's got a very iconic super-recognizable opening bit.  Those first few bars after the cop cars roll out.

But then IMO it kind of goes nowhere.  It's just sleepy.

Back on the relative plus side (but only relatively), I do appreciate that it doesn't abuse the synthesizer the way a lot of Post's themes during the same period did.  I mean there's synth in it, wall to wall actually, but at least there's tinkly piano (although also synthesized I guess) along with it.

Yep, here's another generational thing. :)  I've only ever heard this referred to as "Flight of the Bumblebee."

Hmm.  I wonder where the break is on the gap with this one.  I mean the mid-60s was long before my time too.  But I know that even Quentin Tarrantino (and the record company who put it on the Kill Bill soundtrack) referred to it as "Green Hornet theme" (here's where it appeared in Kill Bill).  Which I guess it still was, since Tarrantino used the Al Hirt recording from the 60s specifically made for the Green Hornet TV show, but its really the same music you might have gotten handed sheet music for in a music class at the same time with the heading "Flight of the Bumblebee" on it.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Hmm.  I wonder where the break is on the gap with this one.  I mean the mid-60s was long before my time too.  But I know that even Quentin Tarrantino (and the record company who put it on the Kill Bill soundtrack) referred to it as "Green Hornet theme" (here's where it appeared in Kill Bill).  Which I guess it still was, since Tarrantino used the Al Hirt recording from the 60s specifically made for the Green Hornet TV show, but its really the same music you might have gotten handed sheet music for in a music class at the same time with the heading "Flight of the Bumblebee" on it.

Interesting. Tarantino was born in 63 and seems like someone who'd probably have watched a lot of 60s superhero TV anyway, though. (Also, man, even just that little clip with not that much going on makes me really want to watch Kill Bill again....)

Mike Post also composed the all-time cheese-tastic theme for 'the Great American Hero'.

"Believe it or not, it's just me."

Yeah, its cheesy for sure.  It's got some warmth to it though, which not all of Post's worst stuff has.  The actual musical part of TGAH theme actually isn't all that interesting either way though--it's the lyrics which bring it over the top.

Similarly, there's also the lame-ass mock-power metal of Hardcastle & McCormack.  It really is steaming ca-ca.

EDIT - I actually forgot (I was a kid)--they actually redid the Hardcastle & McCormack theme and the second theme song was EVEN CHEESIER/WORSE.

Without resorting to lyrics to prop it up, another one of his biggest pieces of Mondo Cheese is probably the Riptide theme.

Edited by Kromm

I know it wasn't an original song but I adored "Short Skirt Long Jacket" as the Chuck theme song. Still makes me smile!

I recently started a full-series rewatch of the show on Netflix. And just like I did for four* years during the show's original run, I've been dancing a little in my chair every time the theme song plays.

*I didn't discover the show until its second season

I recently started a full-series rewatch of the show on Netflix. And just like I did for four* years during the show's original run, I've been dancing a little in my chair every time the theme song plays.

*I didn't discover the show until its second season

There's probably some line between discussing the theme songs and discussing the accompanying credits, but for me a big part of that with Chuck WAS the credits themselves--the artistic choices in it I mean and how they complemented the song.  

It's a great song no matter what, but lets say it had just been pair with some normal "face freeze frame" thing.  You wouldn't have gotten the same results.  The little animation, the kind of odd combination of them being both nerdy AND cool at the same time, was complemented by the fact that Cake's song is kind of the same way (and so was the show following those credits--so it communicated those values).

• Love 1

Mike Post also composed the all-time cheese-tastic theme for 'the Great American Hero'.

"Believe it or not, it's just me."

Which later became the best answering machine message of all time: "Believe it or not, George isn't at home!"

I love the theme songs for both Buffy and Angel because they manage to capture the energy and tone of each show. Buffy's is frantic and frenetic with a driving beat while Angel's is slower, moodier, and slightly more mysterious.

I also liked the theme to Dharma and Greg for the same reason (and because it was so short, which was very unusual back then). It was airy and light hearted like Dharma.

For expositional theme song, I love the one for Psych. It not only gives you premise of the show ("I know you know that I'm not telling the truth") but the song itself is like Shawn: silly, repetitive, and fun but slightly annoying if you're exposed to it too much.

I love the theme song to So You Think You Can Dance. I know it's ridiculous but I can't help it.

I love the theme song for the British series Some Girls. It's so cute and catchy!

I, too, hate the theme song for Homeless. It's just jazz plus noise (which I realize is a redundant description to people who don't like jazz).

I'm sad that so many shows these days either don't have theme songs. I used to love singing along to them. Family Ties, Diff'rent Strokes, Facts of Life, Three's Company, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley - I still remember the words to all of them! I must confess that I used to think the theme song to each show was sung by the cast. I blame the Brady Bunch for that.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Okay, lets talk about the pile of steaming shit that is the American Idol theme.  How the hell, even back in 2002, did this pass muster?  Or actually, apparently it was directly taken from the earlier UK's Pop Idol, completely intact, which was a year earlier, but that means it got approved and then RE-approved for the American market.  And its bad.  Really really really really bad.  Putrid.

This year they changed it a bit and somehow made it even worse.  Instead of just a lame guitar riff, horrid ahahahs and synths, now its got what sounds like a marching band in it.  Because it sounds like a marching band, I originally thought that the change was specifically to go along with the "Rush Week" thing they started the live shows off with (I think that's the first time we heard the new version), but they're still using it.

Ugh.

Edited by Kromm

Oh, yeah. The AI theme was embarrassing even back in its first season, but now over a decade later it's even worse. I can imagine kids asking their parents twenty years from now, "Did people actually think that was cool?" and the parents saying, "Gawd, no! No one ever thought it was cool - except maybe the producers."

• Love 1

Yeah, its a show about finding the best music, and it leads with some of the worst right there in the credits.  I could never get over the irony of that. If it became memorable it did only by forcing its way into that state through sheer repetition into people's ears.

Okay, getting 'round to currently airing/new-ish shows I have to really laud Brooklyn Nine-Nine for it's theme.  Short.  To the point. Dynamic.  FUN.

Also, The Goldbergs (it's no coincidence my two choices here are the best two new comedies on TV).  This theme is so great because (again) it's short and to the point, but also very indicative of the era the show is representing.  It's not ACTUALLY a song from that era, mind you, but its doing a genius job of SOUNDING like one and acting as a stand-in.

• Love 1

I've always loved the theme to Thirtysomething!

Apologies if that didnt come out as a video... Not sure I'm doing it right and didnt see instructions,

M.A.S.H., of course. I too love The Game of Thrones... Anybody see the YiuTube video of the cat meowing it?

Brideshead Revisited. Te original Cosmos.

Edited by Dougal
Fixed youtube embedding
  • Love 1

Apologies if that didnt come out as a video... Not sure I'm doing it right and didnt see instructions,

Fixed it for you. The problem was that the forum software seems to not recognize "m.youtube.com" links, just "youtube.com".

• Love 1

I've always loved the theme to Thirtysomething!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hiSqroGvQMw

I only figured it out by accident.  

1.) DON'T use the little chain link thing (assuming you mean you actually want it embedded AS a video and not just as an external link people need to click on).  Just paste the video URL down into a message by itself.

2.) I noticed you used the mobile URL (m.youtube.com).  I don't know if that will work as an embed.

Edited by Kromm

I only figured it out by accident.  

1.) DON'T use the little chain link thing (assuming you mean you actually want it embedded AS a video and not just as an external link people need to click on).  Just paste the video URL down into a message by itself.

2.) I noticed you used the mobile URL (m.youtube.com).  I don't know if that will work as an embed.

Yep, this is right. I'm going to put together a how-to with pictures and stuff on embedding videos probably tomorrow, since when it doesn't Just Work it's not at all obvious how to fix it.

I can take just about any TV theme song until it turns into an earworm.  I'm looking at you theme song from The Adams Family.  Another one that use to get stuck in my head was the theme song from Green Acres.  

• Love 1

Here's the L.A. Law title track, in stereo and higher-pitched (I think this opening was from #5 of the series [1990-91]).

Were you citing it as a loved theme, a disliked one, or simply to continue talking about Mike Post themes?

Personally I never really connected to this theme--although I appreciated Mike putting down the synthesizer for once (well, as always with Post I know it STILL used a synthesizer, but at least set to emulate more naturalistic instruments).

• Love 1

Were you citing it as a loved theme, a disliked one, or simply to continue talking about Mike Post themes?

Personally I never really connected to this theme--although I appreciated Mike putting down the synthesizer for once (well, as always with Post I know it STILL used a synthesizer, but at least set to emulate more naturalistic instruments).

I put it down to show it as one of my favorites now. Mike Post has written some great title tracks: this, Hardcastle, Hill Street, etc. I think that he's one of the kings of television title tracks. 

I put it down to show it as one of my favorites now. Mike Post has written some great title tracks: this, Hardcastle, Hill Street, etc. I think that he's one of the kings of television title tracks. 

I agree with the last, although to be honest--and there's no hiding it anyway since I've already previously posted my feelings on some of those exact songs--my own personal choice of his greats is a bit different (Rockford Files, The White Shadow, and I think of his big "hit" shows probably Magnum P.I. is the best)

Probably the oddest thing Post did (although he did a few other really bizarre things over the years) was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8yZNMk4Lis

We binge watched 'The Sopranos' in the days before we knew how to skip the theme and by season 4 I was ready to 'get myself a gun'.

Just so the thread doesn't get too high brow, I don't think anyone has mentioned 'Perfect Strangers', 'Charles in Charge' or 'Growing Pains'? Love a good singalong theme.

• Love 1

We binge watched 'The Sopranos' in the days before we knew how to skip the theme and by season 4 I was ready to 'get myself a gun'.

Just so the thread doesn't get too high brow, I don't think anyone has mentioned 'Perfect Strangers', 'Charles in Charge' or 'Growing Pains'? Love a good singalong theme.

I don't think there's much danger of this thread becoming dangerously "high brow".  Pieces of crap like Hardcastle & McCormack, American Idol and Riptide have been mentioned.

I suppose it might if we talked about this:

Which of course actually IS a magnificent TV theme.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I always liked the opening theme song to WKRP in Cincinnati.  It certaily was catchy.

It may have been about Andy, or it may have been about radio life in general.

There was a closing song as well, but I don't recall it.

Also, within the show, they wrote a catchy jingle for Ferryman's Funeral Homes.

I wasn't a big fan of the Drew Carey Show (although it was funny sometimes) but I loved the opening theme "Five O'clock World". 

http://youtu.be/Dy72Y6JP5w0

Hope that link works. If not, I'm going to die of embarrassment. (Actually, I'm going to swear. Quite vulgarly too!)

I always appreciated that full version of Five O'Clock World as an extended skit, but overall I actually liked the OTHER Drew Carey theme, Cleveland Rocks, even more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsSeULiElrc

Presidents Of The US/Ian Hunter trumps The Vogues for me.

Actually wait.  There WAS also a third theme (actually the first one chronologically) "Moon Over Parma".  I don't think they ever did an extended "dance party" version of it like the others, because well... it was early in the show plus its not a dance song.  Drew sang it himself, and frankly its easy to see why they changed it.  But I guess the song must have been issued on some album or something, because actually the only Youtube version I can find is an audio-only version of the whole song (not just a credits length cutdown of it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgGCO5eGdnE

Edited by Kromm

Instrumental: The original Mission: Impossible theme by Lalo Schifrin. I also like the one from Elementary.

Non-Instrumental: Gilmore Girls, Maude, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Brady Bunch, Partridge Family.

Now I can't get "believe it or not, it's just me" out of my head.

• Love 1

Buffy and Nerf Herder - another great combo.

LOVED the Buffy theme song - I truly never got tired of it.

Big Bang Theory is up there.

Ditto. Hmm, I'm seeing a trend here for fast and frenetic theme songs.

Friends, 

It's kinda cringy in a dated sort of way now, but it really worked when it was on the air.

The X-Files

There's a non-frenetic theme I liked! Loved how it set the mood for watching a creepy show. Creepy in a good way.

I've always loved the original theme song for Hawaii Five-O.  

Fun fact - I played this song with my high school marching band. And that little flute flourish was a bugger to learn. 

And then there's The West Wing. Now that was some great music. 

Yes, it was!

• Love 1

Big Bang Theory and Firefly are my current favorite.

For non-lyrical, one of my "older" favorite is Dallas.  But I have a soft spot for Battlestar Galatica (never version) loved the blipverts

Does anyone remember those 3 little words - daa daa daa (Emergency)

Fun fact - I played [the Hawaii5O theme] with my high school marching band.

Me, too! Plus "Peter Gunn", which I didn't realize was a TV theme until I read this topic. I love both of those, plus the L&O theme already mentioned.

I wasn't a big fan of the actual show, but I adored the theme for Providence, which was a cover of the Beatles song, "In My Life".

• Love 1
(edited)

I adored the theme for Providence, which was a cover of the Beatles song, "In My Life".

Speaking of Beatle covers, Aretha's cover of "Lady Madonna" was excellent for Grace Under Fire:

Edited by AimingforYoko

• Post those lyrics you make up in the head when themes play (you know you do this)

From the opening theme of The Wonder Years: "Watch what you do, with that stank attitude...don't you stand up and walk out on me" lmao...the first line was mine, the 2nd I have to share credit with my sister

My fave instrumental theme is

, written by Police drummer Stewart Copeland.

My instrumental (and all time) favorite is the theme from Sanford and Son.

I really liked the song from Greatest American Hero, but now it will always be "Believe it or not, George isn't at home."

• Love 2

I always liked the closing theme for Frasier.  It was called "Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs".   I liked it more after I read what it was actually talking about.

"Hey baby I hear the blues a-callin"-refers to patients with troubles calling into the radio show
"Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs"
"But maybe I seem a bit confused"-Frasier's personality was a bit????
"Maybe, but I got you pegged"-Frasier does understand these people and helps them.
"But I don't know what to do with those Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs"-it's a tough business….gotta deal with these "crazies" every day."They're calling again"-oh, oh….should be self explanatory. 

Evidently the writer of the lyrics had been told to come up with something catchy that didn't specifically mention psychiatry, radio shows, or Frasier.  The tossed salads and scrambled eggs referred to things that are mixed up.

• Love 6

SUBTOPIC -- In another thread we got into talking about the longer versions of themes--the uncut 3 or 4 minute ones before they got cut down to credit size (or that were actually expanded to that so they could be released on singles and albums).  Clearly this is not the case with ALL TV theme songs, but it's very interesting to hear the long versions when they DO exist.

For example, this version of the Barney Miller theme is three times as long as the one from the show credits.  The first minute is what we all know.  The middle minute is a part probably nobody at all is familiar with--and it's GREAT.  The last minute is a lot like the first, although with some subtle differences.

Another example:  Here's the 3 minute long version of "Welcome Back".  Unlike the longer Miller theme I don't actually think it's even better (it drags on a bit), but the instrumental part is interesting.

• Love 2

*rolls up sleeves for crazy-long post*

I tried and I tried to think if I had ever come up with alternate lyrics to a TV show theme (or if someone in my family had so I could thieve it), but while we had added lyrics to some songs (we sing "Have a banana" during the pauses in How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?), we didn't change any for theme songs. And then it hit me: I didn't come up with them, but I sure did sing them on the yard at school as a kid, because everyone did. They were:

The Addams Family started
When Uncle Fester farted
They really are... an offensive word starting with an 'r'
...the Addams Family!

--and (I'm cutting for some violent content)--

I hate you, you hate me
Let's gang up and kill Barney
With a great big gun and a bullet to the head
Aren't you glad that Barney's dead?

So there ya go, I am nowhere near as creative as I thought, and I sang disturbing songs as a child... hmm. :S

I think that my favourite song-used-as-a-theme-song would either be "Bad Things" for True Blood or "Worry About You" for Kingdom Hospital; the former, I felt just fit the show nicely, and the latter I just thought was really, really pretty (full disclosure: never even seen an episode of that show, but I used to watch the opening bit just to hear the theme song). Bonus points for both for being very sing-a-long-to-able.

They aren't the theme songs to their respective works per se, but "Blood Theme" from Dexter, generally used over the closing credits, and "Prologue" from Battlestar Galactica, used during part of the show's intro (the "The Cylons were created by man..." bit) are favourites of mine as well. Another not-quite opening bit which I really enjoyed was the theme song to Sanctuary... but not the version which aired on TMN/Space/Syfy.

I think my favourite overall would be, oddly, Emily of New Moon. Very haunting, very pretty. And if not it, then Doctor Who, which is just so darned fun and catchy.

Runners up for me come from all over the place (I'll spoiler cut for length, I'm afraid that I'm something of an indecisive rambler)

- I quite enjoy expositional ones which I can speak along to (it's always fun trying to match the voice of the narrator/narrators) like Babylon 5 (seasons 3-5, preferably), The Lost World, Star Trek: the Next Generation and Xena.

I also like themes which I can sing along to like Jack of All Trades, Clone High, Degrassi Jr. High/Degrassi High, Anamaniacs, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, the 4400 and Due South (the opening doesn't contain the lyrics, but they exist and I sing 'em anyway).

Themes I "do-do-do" along to because they're pretty or lots of fun include the old-school 22 Minutes theme song (doo-doo-doo-DOOOOO), North of 60, Road to Avonlea, Wind at My Back, Buffy, Farscape and Batman: the Animated Series.

And most of the kids shows I grew up with have theme songs which I still sing if I get bored (or sometimes, they just sort of creep in and won't leave), like Eric's World, The Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock, Sailor Moon (which I wasn't allowed to watch, but the theme song didn't take long to memorize), Polka Dot Door, The Elephant Show, Magic School Bus, Arthur, Telefrancais (Ananas and his dead eyes own my damned soul) and Today's Special.

Oh, and I love Brooklyn Nine-Nine's because I can't not dance to it. It's like a disease.

For themes I don't like, I find M*A*S*H's theme rather annoying, I could do without Roseanne's (very grating to me), I don't care for Archer's theme song and I curse the opening theme to Coupling (so annoying).

For themes I don't like, I find M*A*S*H's theme rather annoying

The M*A*S*H theme is an interesting lesson in how to ruin something great.  It's a version of a very dark song sung in the original movie called "Suicide Is Painless", but basically turned into Muzak.  I suppose you could choose to look upon the peppy tone of the instrumental version as a kind of musical irony, but since the original context is gone (and a lot of people won't even have seen or remember the song in the movie), then if the tone was SUPPOSED to read as irony, it fails.

Here's the song from the movie.  Understand that it's also a pun, because "Painless" is the nickname of the 4077th's Dentist.

Where's the love for the Law & Order (Original Recipe) theme? It "fit" the show. I also liked L&O: CI's original slow theme based on said mothership theme and was very pissed once the series moved to USA and its theme was replaced with the very obnoxious (cancelled) L&O: Trial By Jury theme.

• Love 5

The M*A*S*H theme is an interesting lesson in how to ruin something great.  It's a version of a very dark song sung in the original movie called "Suicide Is Painless", but basically turned into Muzak.

Yeah, that's pretty much why I hate it. Although, one amusing thing about the otherwise-terrible Muzak version- when I worked at a call centre some years ago, it was one of the tunes used for our hold music. I was never sure if its inclusion was a joke, a suggestion or just a mistake...