Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Reapercussions

Tara Ariano

Clarke gains an unlikely ally.

Gee, I wonder who it could be, what with the fact she discovered Anya in the cage in the secret room at the end of last episode.

Abby confesses to committing a crime

Too bad they can't just toss people out of the airlock for simple crimes anymore.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

Awesome episode. This show is firing on all cylinders for me this year - even when the characters make stupid mistakes, they're believable stupid mistakes. I appreciated the more-realistic-than-usual depiction of torture and the quality of intel it produces, and the actress who plays Clarke continues to impress me. Looking forward to next week!

• Love 1

Holy role reversal, Batman!  Clarke's disappearance has now made S1's "Violence is not the answer!" Finn turn into a torture happy, execute the prisoner kind of guy, while Mr. "My Way or the Highway!" Bellamy, is now trying to maintain order.  Crazy!  I'm sure this is only going to get crazier; especially if Murphy keeps stirring shit up.

Well, I guess Kane at least tried to be civil and reasonable at first, but quickly folded under pressure, when the civilians got rowdy, so he had Abbie get whipped, to get everyone back in line.  But, hey, he's now going to try and talk with The Grounder now.  Good luck with that, Kane!  And Abbie is Acting Chancellor!  The Chancellor position is definitely changing hands quite a bit.

Clarke and Anya escape, but while Clarke wants to team up, Anya rather just take her prisoner.  That's one way to do it, I guess.  At least Jasper and Monty are finally getting suspicious now.

Octavia still can't get to Lincoln, because he's been captured, but instead of being harvested, he's going to be used in an experiment.  Called Cerberus?  Yeah, nothing good is going to come out of this.  The name Cerberus is never used for good things, from my experience.

Lettie Mae for the win!  I've never been a bit Octavia fan, but is she ever anything but every kind of stupid?   Also, the only thing Lincoln taught her is how to take a trip to Pound Town.  She might have done some sword practicing, but none that would fend off Reapers.  I'll see myself out now...

Lincoln is clearly being used for a creepy breeding program, and you know...get it, CylonTory?  If my choices were being drained of blood and fed to Reapers or procreational sex with a humanoid, I'd choose the latter?   The Mountain People are truly the worst.

Finn and Bellamy have completely switched personalities and I don't like it.   I do like that Bellamy is growing as a leader and making smarter, more rational decisions, but Finn's sudden turn towards psychosis is neither compelling or believable.   His manpain over Clarke's disappearance isn't justification for him becoming a stone cold killer.  

The only thing that could make Clarke/Anya's buddy comedy better is Murphy as the Greek Chorus.  

On the Ark, if every crime was punishable by death, what's with the ten lashes?  Since when did the Exodus Charter have conditions?

This season is turning into a mashup of "The Walking Dead" and "Battlestar Galactica": cannibals?  Check!  Horrible human dictatorships?  Check!  Chick with sword?  Check!  Articles of clothing with apparent superpowers?  Check!  Awesome lady leaders?  Check!  Questionable lady soldiers?  Check!  Chanting music?  Check!  Tory/Gaeta/LadyMcTigh?  Check?

I'm not buying that Clarke ripped that conduit off the wall -- why would there be a live electrical circuit there ?  It would be different if it was a standard wall receptacle, but it was a capped box -- why would it have been live ? Or even been there in the first place ?

I'm also not buying that the Grounders were kept in those cages all the time -- there would be piss and shit everywhere, especially with the people in the lower levels of cages (because of gravity from the upper levels).

Why would protective suits be needed in the garbage disposal room ?  Who was stacking all the clothes taken from the grounders along the wall of the tunnel -- The Mt. Weatherites, the Reapers, or just plot convenience because Clarke/Anya needed some clothing (that apparently all fits, including the footwear) ?

How would Clarke "know" that they were out when they were standing in that tunnel -- it could have just been a sealed maintenance tunnel since there was a card controlled door just down the tunnel from them.   

Seriously ?? Reapers live in the tunnels under Mt. Weather.  The Mt. Weatherites contract out their garbage disposal to the Reapers, as the Reapers were acting like it was a regularly scheduled pickup.  Are the Reapers the mutated descendants of the Sopranos (hey, ho, it's waste mgmt., bada-boom) ?

Something was weird with the staging of that scene -- the mine cart was on the rails by the door to Mt. Weather, between dumper under the garbage chute and the door -- why would the Reapers walk past Clarke/Anya in the cart to get to the bodies that they would have had to pass by to get to the mine cart.  Several reapers loaded the mine cart, but only one pushed it out (and no one followed him).

That overdubbing on Octavia as she was speaking to the Grounders leader was terrible -- can someone who reads lips figure out what she actually said ?

Umm, if Jasper/Maya were in a secured access-controlled room, how did they sneak out ?  The side-door ?

If Anya is SO WEAK, how was she able to so easily break the other grounders neck ?

How did the grounder get Clarke's watch ?  Wasn't it on her wrist when she was gassed by the Mt. Weatherites at the dropship ?
Or are the grounders trading with the Reapers ?

Did the sound effect of Murphy hitting the grounder with one eye occur before he actually hit him ?  I think someone shrank the effects budget.  Plus, the makeup effects looked pretty cheap and fake in the direct sunlight.

The grounders have gone from this fearless not-to-be-fucked-with-or-we'll-kill-you group to the point that they are now just really shitty woodsmen.  How did a couple of reapers catch five grounders and tie them to a log ?

Why have the grounders suddenly decided to strike against the reapers ?  And do so by going on a 50+ mile trek through the woods from what's left of D.C. back to Mt. Weather. These travel times are getting almost as bad as Revolution (well, not quite that bad).  And how come there seems to be no problem with people getting around after that bridge was destroyed last season -- or was that just a bridge of minor inconvenience ?

So they decide to torture Abby for her crimes with forcelashes -- what were there no old phonebooks or socks full of pennies lying around on the ground where the Alpha Station landed ?

Were Finn/Bellamy/Murphy torturing that grounder in what used to be Finn/Clarke's sex bunker ?  Torture does seem to be the theme for this episode -- or did they do it just to show the the adults are just as bad as the angsty teens ?

The Octavia sub-plot is just getting ridiculous.  And now she's a killer too.

Anya saves Clarke -- 'cause they're BFFs now -- and they manage to escape from the Mt. Weatherites only to end up at a recreation of a scene from the movie 'The Fugitive', and for good measure they both did a Peter Pan into the spillway.  And the CGI of those jumps was just awful.  Clarke landed in that water like she jumped off the side of a swimming pool -- not from supposedly a 100 feet up.  And miraculously Clarke somehow doesn't drown but washes up on a log a 1/2 mile downstream -- how exactly ?  And she's only coughing up water just as Anya picks her up ?

How can their be two dams right beside Mt. Weather ?  Because that dam was completely different than the dam that they have shown right beside Mt. Weather in the overhead scenes.

Best move by Anya all episode -- hit Clarke upside the head with a rock.  At least it shut her up for once.

And Finn has become an executioner over his angsty feelings for Clarke (but what about Raven, who was missing entirely from this episode) -- are they really going to leave that dead grounder in the sex bunker because his rotting corpse will seriously funk up the place.

How are the Mt. Weatherites catching all these grounders ?  They used that funky high-frequency tool against the reapers, but how did Lincoln get caught ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

...Clarke landed in that water like she jumped off the side of a swimming pool -- not from supposedly a 100 feet up.  And miraculously Clarke somehow doesn't drown but washes up on a log a 1/2 mile downstream -- how exactly ?  And she's only coughing up water just as Anya picks her up ?...

And they didn't both break every bone in their bodies on impact with the water from that height? A more likely scenario would have been Lincoln or someone of his ilk flying by with feathered wings, swooping down to scoop up Clarke, who sees a not-too-happy-to-see-her Anya already on his super-muscled back.
  • Love 2

They are doing  a good job of making everyone look super filthy -- so A+ on that...

The story is still a mess, though -- but on the plus side of that, I have no idea where this mess is going next ... maybe in season 3 they will be  living in underwater caves and fighting mutated mermaid people --- because there will always be fighting. Always.

• Love 2

I hope Clarke and Anya will settle their issues with each other, make peace, take of their clothes and .....well i can only dream, but it would be really nice way how to get permanently rid of love triangle and i would so much want to see Finn´s face when he realize he break with Raven for someone he will never have a chance to get.

• Love 1

I'm really liking the show in season 2. I feel like it's really grown, and doesn't feel like a generic CW show with a post-apocalyptic bend anymore (to be fair, the Ark bits never felt like that anyway). Some may be pissed Clarke's been separated from the others for too long, but I'm weirdly OK with it, because the show's about more than just relationships, unlike most other shows on the network, and I'm really interested in the worldbuilding - and the scope this separation provides is most welcome indeed.

You may think Kane's a jerk for lashing Abby, but it's clear his hand was forced. Plus, Abby herself should understand him - didn't she out her husband to Jaha once? Anyway, I liked their scene after the lashings. There was some nice understanding there.

It's awfully convenient how the Grounder Bellamy and Co have caught turned out to know English. And really, way too many Grounders do. I'd prefer it if all of them still spoke the language (how many years have passed? Doubt it was long enough for the language to be forgotten completely, esp. if there are still books and other stuff left from before the war), but a bastardized version of it. Could be pretty cool, actually.

Bellamy and Finn's reversal of views was ironic, but at least we have some character development for both. I still don't give a damn about Finn, but it's nice Bellamy has become a bit less hot-headed and violent.

Octavia's storyline, OTOH, is rapidly becoming more and more implausible. I'm ready for her to rejoin the others.

but Finn's sudden turn towards psychosis is neither compelling or believable.   His manpain over Clarke's disappearance isn't justification for him becoming a stone cold killer.

I suspect the point is not Clarke, but that all his efforts to make peace with the Grounders were for naught and have actually harmed the 100. So now he feels like a failure. Clarke's just an icing on that cake.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 4

I think that someone clearly needs to enunciate better. That bit at the end, with the "harvest" vs. "_______ program"? The recapper heard "server," someone in here heard "Cerberus," and I totally heard "Stavros." Hopefully someone who speaks a little more clearly will address it next week.

It was Cerberus, I had captions.

It will be curious to see Lincoln with 3 heads. </snark>

I bet the Cerberus program is probably some brain-washing technique the Mt. Weatherites use on the grounders to create subservient soldiers to fight against the grounders/reapers.

My association with Cerberus is Mass Effect video games, first and foremost, mostly because those games also had Reapers as a major threat, plus it's clear by this point somebody in the writing room is a gamer. In ME, Cerberus was a somewhat racist group/terrorist organization that was all about humans vs all aliens (the games are sci-fi/space opera) and used any methods available. And yes, they did indeed try to engineer super-soldiers, so I won't be that surprised if the inhabitants of Mount Weather are doing something like this.

• Love 3

My association with Cerberus is Mass Effect video games, first and foremost, mostly because those games also had Reapers as a major threat, plus it's clear by this point somebody in the writing room is a gamer. In ME, Cerberus was a somewhat racist group/terrorist organization that was all about humans vs all aliens (the games are sci-fi/space opera) and used any methods available. And yes, they did indeed try to engineer super-soldiers, so I won't be that surprised if the inhabitants of Mount Weather are doing something like this.

So then I'm guessing this was the "writers" only reference for the term. Not even Google? *sigh* Like ottoD, I was thinking 3 headed (or 3 somethinged) Lincoln. Heh.

Hey, I may be mistaken. But 3 heads would be too much even for this show, probably :)

Also, Cerberus guards the gates of the underworld in the Greek mythology, so maybe they are creating some sort of guards.

Seriously ?? Reapers live in the tunnels under Mt. Weather.  The Mt. Weatherites contract out their garbage disposal to the Reapers, as the Reapers were acting like it was a regularly scheduled pickup.  Are the Reapers the mutated descendants of the Sopranos (hey, ho, it's waste mgmt., bada-boom) ?

I kinda like that.  I imagine the Reapers aren't above scavenging for a meal.  The Weatherites also may encourage this as it allows them to lay traps for the Reapers when their blood stocks run low. 

BTW, has there been any confirmation that the Reapers are cannibals?  I know there's plenty of indications that they are but we haven't seen them consume flesh nor do I recall hearing anyone on the show saying that they're cannibals.

I kinda like that.  I imagine the Reapers aren't above scavenging for a meal.  The Weatherites also may encourage this as it allows them to lay traps for the Reapers when their blood stocks run low. 

BTW, has there been any confirmation that the Reapers are cannibals?  I know there's plenty of indications that they are but we haven't seen them consume flesh nor do I recall hearing anyone on the show saying that they're cannibals.

So are the Reapers just another tribe like the grounders, ones who just happen to be more violent and possibly have a taste for human flesh? or are they grounders gone crazy from Mt. Weather experiements? (Maybe they put Pax in the air) or are they Mt. Weather people who were bad/mutated/ bad outcomes from the cerberus project?

I'm also expecting to learn of some sort of breeding program.. or maybe that's what they want to use the 48 for, since they are more 'civilized' than the grounders... but you'd think trying to introduce some radiation resistance into their population would be a good thing and get them out of the bunker eventually...

So are the Reapers just another tribe like the grounders, ones who just happen to be more violent and possibly have a taste for human flesh? or are they grounders gone crazy from Mt. Weather experiements? (Maybe they put Pax in the air) or are they Mt. Weather people who were bad/mutated/ bad outcomes from the cerberus project?...

That makes sense. I wonder if it was supposed to be obvious, or if it's supposed to be a surprise reveal next week. Hmmm, so if Lincoln becomes a Reaper, he and Octavia will no doubt do the Beauty and the Beast dance.

My thoughts exactly. There is also Dr. Tsing in the show which strongly resembles Dr. T'Soni from ME. I am just waiting for them to rename the Ark to Normandy. OTOH I wouldn't mind if Shepard appeared in the next episode (JK).

I can't believe I am still hate-watching this show. Maybe I should just replay Mass Effect instead.

Maybe the Cerberus project is how Reapers come about because why not throw Firefly/Serenity into this CW mixbag. If someone in the writing room is a Mass Effect fan do I dare hope for someone saying ' Ah yes "Reaper" ' and doing the fingers?

Is turning Finn into early season 1 Bellamy the writers' attempt to get people to ship him and Clarke? His sudden murderous rage I could buy if they'd seeded it in earlier episodes as grief or failure or something but he just went from normal supportive Finn holding Raven's hand to kill'em all! But good on the show for going the unreliable method route in regards to torturing for information it's not often I've seen that.

Whatever I've never cared much about him anyway. 

I'm looking forward Clarke and Anya working together, I hope this you're the prisoner/no you are thing doesn't last too long. 

Edited by patchwork
Finn and Bellamy have completely switched personalities and I don't like it.   I do like that Bellamy is growing as a leader and making smarter, more rational decisions, but Finn's sudden turn towards psychosis is neither compelling or believable.   His manpain over Clarke's disappearance isn't justification for him becoming a stone cold killer. 

I am really hating this season.  I miss Bellamy. He has like three lines per episode and largely seems to be teetering on the edge of "red shirt" territory.  I still don't get the big panic about the Mount Weatherites. They are just so not a threat since radiation can hurt them so easily. I was happy too see Kane back on redemption road but it all seemed so rushed. And it did come off like he just couldn't take watching Abby suffer, more than his really feeling things needed to change. I am not so sure that anyone should be making friends with the Grounders. It is just too soon. They wanted to kill them last year. So I can't really care too much about them and I am getting downright sick of their perfect english. I am almost at the point of not watching until these plots are played out.

Yes; In the episode where Finn, Clarke and Lincoln are escaping the Reavers in the tunnels, you can see some Reavers eating. One of them throws some meat on the ground, and you can clearly see the tattoo and killer-markings on the flesh. You know, a little like the foot on The Walking Dead.

I've just inhaled the show up until this episode, and I really like it. I love the fact that there are so many BSG alumns on the show; I love the there's-a-gamer-in-the-writers'-room (tm FurryFurry); I even love almost all the characters. Usually with shows with love traingles/pentagons/what have you, I end up hating half the characters, but here I like both Raven and Clarke and Bellamy and Finn (even if he's a bit of a douche for sleeping with Clarke ten days after leaving his girlfriend, who by the way, is hot and great and dumped his sorry arse without too much pining). I have a few issues with Abby and her self-righteous quest for her daughter, but they are not getting in the way of my enjoyment of the show.

• Love 1

I'm seriously thinking that last year's Clarke/Finn/Raven mess was mandated by the CW. I mean, here were are 3 eps in the season (and I think it's another 13-episode season, so it's already, like, 23% of the story or something), and there's barely any romance on-screen. I can't imagine it would happen if the writers cared about it at all. And then I've read somewhere they had commented they're shocked many (if not most) fans ship Bellamy/Clarke. Seriously? Shocked? You have to be totally new to the CW model to be blind to that. Nobody who wants to and knows how to write romance could say that. (For the record, I don't ship anyone on the show, except that I hate Finn/Clarke and Lincoln/Octavia for being awfully written, but I can't imagine how they couldn't have seen Bellamy/Clarke potential).

I'm seriously thinking that last year's Clarke/Finn/Raven mess was mandated by the CW. I mean, here were are 3 eps in the season (and I think it's another 13-episode season, so it's already, like, 23% of the story or something), and there's barely any romance on-screen. I can't imagine it would happen if the writers cared about it at all. And then I've read somewhere they had commented they're shocked many (if not most) fans ship Bellamy/Clarke. Seriously? Shocked? You have to be totally new to the CW model to be blind to that. Nobody who wants to and knows how to write romance could say that. (For the record, I don't ship anyone on the show, except that I hate Finn/Clarke and Lincoln/Octavia for being awfully written, but I can't imagine how they couldn't have seen Bellamy/Clarke potential).

I'm pretty sure the writers know about the Bellamy/Clarke potential

- after all, they're the main couple in the books, according to people who have read them. (I haven't; coulden't get past the insanely annoying YA-clichees and the terrible language.)

, but I guess they a) was suprised by how fast people latched on to them as a (possible) couple, and b) are playing stuff close to their vests. I applaud them for not focusing so much on love triangles on the second season, and I think you're right; since Finn apparently was a made-up character for the show, it was the CW that wanted triangles right out of the gate.

I actually don't hate Octavia/Lincoln even though they tick all the usual boxes of hate for me (insta!Love! Stockholm Syndrome nonsense!). I guess it comes down to the fact that I like the actors who portray them; and even if it was quite silly and defies belief that Octavia was a warrior princess this episode, I love the fact that she wasn't a damsel, but was trying to actively save him. I hope she gets adobted by this tribe (facepaint and all) - she would be a good window into Grounder-life (the only possibility, since the rest of the 100 aren't interested in adapting into Grounder-life; at least not yet.)*

Actually; I like all "teen" characters (okay; I only like Finn when he's not tethered to one of the girls) and that's a first for me when it comes to shows on the CW (I still bear the scars from Smallville, and I quit Arrow and TVD for that same reason). I even like Murphy :)

* I hope I make sense. English is not my first language, and sometimes I don't think I get the things I want to say across the right way.

Edited by feverfew
  • Love 5

No worries, everything's OK :) (FWIW, it's not mine as well).

Actually; I like all "teen" characters (okay; I only like Finn when he's not tethered to one of the girls) and that's a first for me when it comes to shows on the CW. I even like Murphy :)

I actually don't mind Murphy, too. Back when the show first aired I expected them to make a bigger deal of the main teens all being delinquents of some kind, and Murphy's totally a more realistic depiction of this type than any of the others (even Bellamy gets redeemed, not that it wasn't obvious it would happen eventually). And really, he hasn't done anything unforgivable yet. Charlotte totally had it coming (she was a cold-blooded murderer), and giving up the 100 because of the torture? Can't fault him for that. Of course, I don't remember s1 that well, so maybe he's done something else. 

I still think he's getting killed off soon.

(I still bear the scars from Smallville, and I quit Arrow and TVD for that same reason).

But Arrow barely had any teen characters... I mean, I quit it as well, but that was because of their appalling treatment of their best female characters. At least this show has girls kick ass on a daily basis. It's refreshing.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

I'm pretty sure the writers know about the Bellamy/Clarke potential

- after all, they're the main couple in the books, according to people who have read them. (I haven't; coulden't get past the insanely annoying YA-clichees and the terrible language.)

, but I guess they a) was suprised by how fast people latched on to them as a (possible) couple, and b) are playing stuff close to their vests. I applaud them for not focusing so much on love triangles on the second season, and I think you're right; since Finn apparently was a made-up character for the show, it was the CW that wanted triangles right out of the gate.

I actually don't hate Octavia/Lincoln even though they tick all the usual boxes of hate for me (insta!Love! Stockholm Syndrome nonsense!). I guess it comes down to the fact that I like the actors who portray them; and even if it was quite silly and defies belief that Octavia was a warrior princess this episode, I love the fact that she wasn't a damsel, but was trying to actively save him. I hope she gets adobted by this tribe (facepaint and all) - she would be a good window into Grounder-life (the only possibility, since the rest of the 100 aren't interested in adapting into Grounder-life; at least not yet.)*

Actually; I like all "teen" characters (okay; I only like Finn when he's not tethered to one of the girls) and that's a first for me when it comes to shows on the CW (I still bear the scars from Smallville, and I quit Arrow and TVD for that same reason). I even like Murphy :)

* I hope I make sense. English is not my first language, and sometimes I don't think I get the things I want to say across the right way.

Your English is fine, no worries. 

Finn doesn't exist in the books but Bellamy's character is very Finn-like, well season 1 Finn not the Bellamy redux we getting now.

Clarke/Bellamy are my preferred ship but with so many things from the book being re-written or ignored completely I don't count book canon as a reason to think they'll happen on the show. IMO Bellarke will be a thing because it's the path of least resistance for the writer's to take. 

I want to like Ocativa so maybe being our pov character for the local Grounder tribe, rather than the one Jaha's landed with, will allow her character to grow beyond damsel in distress and liability. Her romance with Lincoln contained too many tropes that make me uncomfortable and that in turn made me dislike her. Lincoln's abs saved him from that but he's still in Ocatvia's former Character's I Don't Care About category. 

I suspect Jasper and Maya are going to be a big forbidden romance as the season progresses. To really embrace the cliché they have to make her Wallace's daughter/granddaughter though. 

• Love 2

...I suspect Jasper and Maya are going to be a big forbidden romance as the season progresses. To really embrace the cliché they have to make her Wallace's daughter/granddaughter though.

Do you mean Romeo and Juliet/Montagues and Capulets = Jasper and Maya/Arkites and Mount Weatherites? The cast is bloated enough to kill them off, and both groups are pretty equal in their disregard for human rights, so, yeah, they could team up and sing a violent version of Kumbaya.

I'd prefer it if Maya turned out to be actually evil and in on all the shady stuff going on. Otherwise, way too predictable and meh. And yeah, the cast is kinda bloated right now and is in need of trimming down. 

I want to like Ocativa so maybe being our pov character for the local Grounder tribe, rather than the one Jaha's landed with, will allow her character to grow beyond damsel in distress and liability. Her romance with Lincoln contained too many tropes that make me uncomfortable and that in turn made me dislike her. Lincoln's abs saved him from that but he's still in Ocatvia's former Character's I Don't Care About category.

I don't find Lincoln particularly attractive (he is hot, objectively, I'm just not attracted to him in the slightest, because no charisma), thus I have even less reasons to tolerate them. Octavia's growth just kills my suspension of disbelief the way none of the lame science-y explanations could (but then, I don't really care about science as long as the characters' behavior makes sense). I

• Love 2

Thank you, FurryFurry and patchwork. I sometimes worry :)

I actually don't mind Murphy, too. Back when the show first aired I expected them to make a bigger deal of the main teens all being delinquents of some kind, and Murphy's totally a more realistic depiction of this type than any of the others (even Bellamy gets redeemed, not that it wasn't obvious it would happen eventually). And really, he hasn't done anything unforgivable yet. Charlotte totally had it coming (she was a cold-blooded murderer), and giving up the 100 because of the torture? Can't fault him for that. Of course, I don't remember s1 that well, so maybe he's done something else. 

I still think he's getting killed off soon.

But Arrow barely had any teen characters... I mean, I quit it as well, but that was because of their appalling treatment of their best female characters. At least this show has girls kick ass on a daily basis. It's refreshing.

I thought Murphy was going to be their stock-villain in the first few episodes, but then the show actually allowed him to be somewhat right. I still think both Bellamy and Clarke came off worse in the Charlotte-story; Clarke especially, since we were supposed to believe Wells was her best friend. However, that was the episode when I realised I was hooked; even if the dilemma was slightly more hookily presented on the show, I still applaud them for going full on Lord of the Flies. 

I do think you're right though: Murphy will be killed off soon, to further his redemption arch. (Or not; he did kill those kids in cold blood). 

I gave up on Arrow, not because of the teen characters (I like Thea just fine), but because of the ¤W" emerging triangles. If The 100 ends up having love triangle 1 (Clarke/Finn/Raven) going at the same time as love triangle 2 (Bellamy/Clarke/Finn) I will throw something at my screen. Have Finn decide he loves Raven more, and Clarke prefer Bellamy. Or let Finn and Clarke stay together. Not this wishy-washy back-and-forth.

Finn doesn't exist in the books but Bellamy's character is very Finn-like, well season 1 Finn not the Bellamy redux we getting now.

Clarke/Bellamy are my preferred ship but with so many things from the book being re-written or ignored completely I don't count book canon as a reason to think they'll happen on the show. IMO Bellarke will be a thing because it's the path of least resistance for the writer's to take. 

I suspect Jasper and Maya are going to be a big forbidden romance as the season progresses. To really embrace the cliché they have to make her Wallace's daughter/granddaughter though. 

Have you read the books, patchwork? Should I give them another chance? I like Clarke/Bellamy for the simple fact that there's an inherent conflict in their leadership approach; as long as they don't de-fang Bellamy too much. I know our recapper hates Bellamy for his apparent stupidity, but I actually find him rather interesting. Again, I think for me it's because his sometimes stupid decisions seems like something a normal person would make. And I like the parallel with the grown ups: Abby and Clarke on one side and Kane and Bellamy on the other. Obviously it's not a clear parallel (and I find Clarke way more appealing than her mother), but it is there nonetheless. 

I have a very bad short term memory sometimes, which serves me well, I guess, when it comes to characters like Octavia and Murphy. I hope, going forward, that Octavia will kick some ass from now on. That is one of the things I love about this show: Almost all of our female characters are allowed to be kick-ass at the same time. It could so easily be that Clarke was this morally superior superhero who did everything better than all of the other female characters combined (another reason for hating love triangles), but both Raven and Octavia (sometimes) are awesome. Or they will be. It doesn't feel like the show runners want us to prefer one over the other (another reason I quit Arrow), but are telling different stories with the different girls. 

Obviously Octavia and Lincoln are supposed to be the star crossed lovers of this show, but maybe TPTB will surprise us. I hope they won't find each other too soon; I want to see what sort of people they are away from each other. Let Lincoln meet up with Monty and Jasper and let Octavia be a part of the Grounder tribe. I think that would patch up their weird and problematic beginning. Also, it would give Monty and Jasper a much needed storyline.

I'd prefer it if Maya turned out to be actually evil and in on all the shady stuff going on. Otherwise, way too predictable and meh. And yeah, the cast is kinda bloated right now and is in need of trimming down. 

I don't mind the size of the cast right now, because I like all the storylines so far. Well, I can probably do without the upcoming Jaha in New York, but who knows? Maybe that'll be interesting too? Another thing I love about this show is that they keep changing up the constellation of characters: Now we've got Finn and Bellamy, Clarke and Anya, Monty/Jasper and Maya (who I also hope is shady) - it shakes things up a bit.

• Love 1

Obviously Octavia and Lincoln are supposed to be the star crossed lovers of this show, but maybe TPTB will surprise us. I hope they won't find each other too soon; I want to see what sort of people they are away from each other. Let Lincoln meet up with Monty and Jasper and let Octavia be a part of the Grounder tribe. I think that would patch up their weird and problematic beginning. Also, it would give Monty and Jasper a much needed storyline.

I agree. I think we have some sense of Octavia as an individual, but if we're supposed to root for them (and what can I say? I kinda do), we could use more. And we definitely need to learn more about what Lincoln's actually like. I have the sense that I like him, because he seems competent and generally likable, but that's not much to go on. I'm a bit concerned, actually, that whatever the Cerberus program is, it'll turn him into someone else, at least temporarily. I don't object to that in principle, but we don't really know enough about his true self for a diversion from that to be particularly effective.

Edited by kingshearte
  • Love 1

Do you mean Romeo and Juliet/Montagues and Capulets = Jasper and Maya/Arkites and Mount Weatherites? The cast is bloated enough to kill them off, and both groups are pretty equal in their disregard for human rights, so, yeah, they could team up and sing a violent version of Kumbaya.

I was thinking more of the old scifi/fantasty trope where the villain's female minion is sent to spy, seduce and destroy the hero but falls for him instead but like FurryFury I hope if Maya's a rat she stays a rat. It would be nice if she remains loyal towards the people she owes her very existence to, she must have family among the Mt Men what would happen to them if she sides with the 100? 

I don't find Lincoln particularly attractive (he is hot, objectively, I'm just not attracted to him in the slightest, because no charisma), thus I have even less reasons to tolerate them. Octavia's growth just kills my suspension of disbelief the way none of the lame science-y explanations could (but then, I don't really care about science as long as the characters' behavior makes sense). 

Disliking Octavia and hoping for the best in her current storyline is a step up believe it or not, at least I feel something for her now. Lincoln gets an absent minded 'nice abs' as I stare at the screen waiting for something or someone interesting to appear. 

feverfew-I wouldn't go so far as to recommend the books, well book so far I've only read the first, it's a middle of the road young adult romance with a scifi edge and I don't find the characters or the setting very believable. That said it made me appreciate the show a lot more and I do like knowing the path not taken.  

• Love 1
I was thinking more of the old scifi/fantasty trope where the villain's female minion is sent to spy, seduce and destroy the hero

Ah, the classic Mad Scientist's Beautiful daughter - and the inevitable High Heel Face Turn. I hope it's not that, simply because of how predictable it would have been. Modern shows need to subvert tropes from time to time to stay interesting.

It would be nice if she remains loyal towards the people she owes her very existence to, she must have family among the Mt Men what would happen to them if she sides with the 100?

Absolutely. Plus, she seems to have the trust of her people - I thought she was a medical assistant or something, and it seems to be an important position.

Disliking Octavia and hoping for the best in her current storyline is a step up believe it or not, at least I feel something for her now.

I won't disagree with that. At least she's doing something. But I actually cared about her relationship with Bellamy, and now it's gone for the time being, so it's kinda sad. But hey, maybe they'll have a different dynamic after the eventual reunion.

Edited by FurryFury

Of course, I don't remember s1 that well, so maybe he's done something else.

Nah, I think beyond the Charlotte-gate, his main fault was principally to act like a dick ordering people around and barking orders, which, I guess, didn't help his case when hanging time came.

Again, I think for me it's because his sometimes stupid decisions seems like something a normal person would make

That might be the reason why Bellamy, although stupid sometimes, annoys me less than Clarke, who comes off nearly Mary sue-ish at times. My favorite Clarke moments are when she and Bellamy are discussing morally gray but understandable decisions. the characters and actors feed off each other well whereas I can't stand her with Finn, (or, more likely, Finn started to bug me when the triangle came along, and his personnality 180 this season is too abrupt for my taste).

That might be the reason why Bellamy, although stupid sometimes, annoys me less than Clarke, who comes off nearly Mary sue-ish at times. My favorite Clarke moments are when she and Bellamy are discussing morally gray but understandable decisions. the characters and actors feed off each other well whereas I can't stand her with Finn, (or, more likely, Finn started to bug me when the triangle came along, and his personnality 180 this season is too abrupt for my taste).

Clarke has a tendency to come off Mary Sue-like. Especially episodes like the one where she single-handedly saved Finn via an operation that she in no known universe should have been able to pull off. (Why is there no one else of the 100 who knows anything about first aid? Was Clarke planning to be a doctor like her mom? Do we even know what she worked with? I'm guessing everybody had a job on the Ark, because everybody always do in totalitarian regimes, and Monty obviously worked with his parents in some capacity, but what did Clarke do? Paint?) But compared to other teen show (*coughTVDcough*) she doesn't really comes off as too entitled, and she's still called out by both TPTB and other characters on the show when she screwes up, so she and I are good :)

I'm guessing the showrunners took a look at tumblr and decided that Finn need some hothead-badboy characteristics to keep up with Bellamy and to keep him a viable part of the upcoming triangle. (God, I hope what I just wrote isn't true, and they have a plan for the characters that involve more than bed-hopping.)

I tentatively believe that they have an okay grasp on where they want the story to go, since I've read a review of the first episodes of season 2 by Mo Ryan who sounded rather optimistic, while still realistic on the show's failings. I'm going to post it in the media thread if anyone wants to read it.

patchwork, thanks for the review. I still have it somewhere, so I'll finish it - paths not taken sounds interesting.