Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 11/10/14

I'm sorry... I was too distracted seeing Jason Jones and Ollie-Scone in the same room (squeals) ^U^

Anyways, I'm very elated Ollie-Scone took the reins for Jonny-bun. His entrance was too hilarious to handle! As for the interviews, I think it was a perfect way to kick off Rosewater's premiere. Jonny-bun should be very proud of his baby. It was great from start to finish from an in-depth insight with the "Behind the Veil" pieces, Maziar and Gael's impression of each other, to the MOZ. 

And now... I will sit here and wait until Jonny-bun gets to sit with Colbert at TCR so he can say what he wants after those rushed afterthoughts at the end. :)

• Love 1

I love John's interviewing style. I'm glad Jon decided to do the show like this.

I'd read about that bit that was the MOZ, and it was wonderful to see it.

The audience seemed a little subdued or unsure how to take John. Weird.

The audience seemed a little subdued or unsure how to take John. Weird.

To be fair, as much as I enjoyed Rosewater and like Ollie; if I had gotten tickets for TDS and gotten the John Oliver Rosewater interview special, I'd be pissed.

• Love 2

I thought Jon was using footage from the Beijing Olympics for the APEC segment. I didn't realize China had actually did that for the summit.

During the B-roll of the fireworks, you can see some of the devices (blue or green, I think) shoot up into the air and spell out "APEC".

I thought last night's episode was kind of a mess.  The timing just seemed - off.  Pretty much every interview ended suddenly with a poor wrap up.   Also, I don't know if it was nationwide, but in my region between Maziar's 2 segments there was literally less than 1 minute of commercials, but between the final interview and MOZ there was a full 5 minutes of commercials, which really messed with the flow for me. And none of the interviews really gave us any "new" information, maybe a couple of tidbits here and there, but I didn't learn anything fundamentally different

• Love 1

Normally using the show to promote Jon's film would turn me off but I did enjoy John Oliver stepping in. That said, the guy playing Maziar Bahari in the film is far less attractive than the real thing IMO so Oliver was way off base suggesting Bahari would have been thrilled to find out some handsome actor was playing him.

• Love 1

The pacing seemed a bit disjointed, and to anyone following the deluge of interviews lately, there wasn't really any new information about the film. But I enjoyed the emotional experience of last night's episode quite a lot. Jason and the producer's interview was a little dry, but I'm glad they had a chance to talk about it again, since their role was so inadvertently pivotal in making this movie a reality. I loved how Maziar and John teased each other, and I thought that the professional trust between Maziar and Gael came across really well.

That said, John and Jon cannot interact enough for me. Their joy in sharing the screen for a few minutes was all I wanted, really, once I realized what was happening. May they continue to pop in from time to time on each other's shows, for as long as they are on the air.

@Chattygal, this article in Quartz sums up the reasoning, including a quote from Maziar that I hadn't seen before on his preference for his actor's nationality, and then the article goes on to make suggestions for Iranian actors who could have played Maziar, regardless of the safety or authenticity issues. (They raise an unfortunately great point that it's hard for actors to break out of the commonplace villain role. (Never mind. I misread the second part. Although it's implied, it's not directly stated that Jon being Jewish is an additional complication.))

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 1