Type keyword(s) to search

House Of DVF - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think I'm going to put a pic of Cat's face when Diane announced her decision on my phone so I can look at it any time I'm sad or angry.

Great idea. Because that look was delicious. DELICIOUS. *evil cackle*

Actually, I'm surprised that Cat didn't win because Brittany is a bitch that didn't get along with anyone and she won last year. 

HB is way too fragile and I can't see where she'd bring the young, edgy girls to the DVF brand. Diane has a specific target audience. If she dilutes the brand, she'll end up doing more harm than good. She should be satisfied with the current demographic.

Alli from the Valley would've been a more appropriate choice. A twenty-something that's looking for a more polished and grown-up look.  

Edited by Feline Goddess
  • Love 2

Anyone but Cat was my mantra.

Alli is 28.  She should be more mature and polished than the other candidates.  She was bland and slightly tacky imo.  Of course Jessica could make her over.  She gave her tips and style points throughout the competition (yet, Alli wore those towering clunky heels in the last challenge).  But what positive does she bring to the brand?  They have lots of attractive people who speak well and are outgoing.  If Alli could comprehend effortless, she would have had a shot.

Cat is 27.  Slack jawed and fried blonde hair.  Reminds me of a former coworker (who looks nothing like Cat except the constant open mouth mock surprise look).  Always in my face, following me around, telling me and everyone else how fabulous she was and always on the phone with her parents complaining that none of us saw her fabulousness.  Even had her mother call me once. (Like Cat, my coworker's mother agreed her daughter was wrong and hopelessly immature.)  I need a gif of Diane telling Cat she lost.

HB is 26.  Extensions, tats, lumpy filled lips and Avril Lavigne make-up.  Edgy in a Hot Topic way.  Has the most to benefit from getting the job.  Maybe DVF can help her see there's more to life than mooning over another semi-famous guy. (Never heard of her new BF either.)  Also need a gif of HB's face when Dianne asked her about her lips.

This BA job was created for the show.  If HB can't travel the world or ride in an elevator, DVF still got the exposure they wanted. 

I think HB did the best in the last challenge.  Cat came through but not without unnecessary drama and angst.  Alli blew it.  S1 ended with a similar challenge --- learn from it!  That table was way too small and way too cluttered.  She should have switched tasks with Cat once she got the back-up talent.  I doubt Cat would have done a good job either.  Maybe they should explain what effortless means?

• Love 1

I watched that clip and counted. Hannah Beth said "like" 27 times in 94 seconds!

Ha, thank you for posting that because my OCD wanted to rewatch and count too!

Like Cat, my coworker's mother agreed her daughter was wrong and hopelessly immature.)

I really wonder how her parents reacted to seeing her on this show. Did they wince and cringe at her behavior? Or did they laugh it off and say, "That's so Cat!"? Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
Actually, I'm surprised that Cat didn't win because Brittany is a bitch that didn't get along with anyone and she won last year.

I think that just goes to show you how much everyone must have really dis-liked Cat. I bet there's tons of footage of Cat's nonsense that didn't even make it on air. Also, I think the difference is the degree of bitchiness.

Brittany could definitely get her bitch on... but IMO it was a more subtle, undercover, slight-of-hand kind of nasty. When confronted with that bitchiness, Brittany somewhat owned up to it and made an effort stifle it.

OTOH Cat let her bitch flag fly high and free! She just insisted on calling it something else... i.e: "keeping it real", "just trying to be helpful",  "a misunderstanding" "unintentional", "innately professional". Even when she was repeatedly warned to chill the hell out (including the admonishment from her very own parents), Cat never seemed to have any self-awareness. I think that's what bugged Jessica and Stefani the most; the lack of self-awareness and a continuation of the objectionable behavior. 

It could have also been Cat's blatant lie to her parents when she claimed that Jessica had man-handled with a death-grip. Did she think that would not get back to Jessica? Did she think the crew was blind and deaf and somehow didn't notice?  Also thought her catastrophic evaluation of the situation after she lost: "I don't think they realize what they just did"! Ha! To steal from another poster: "very Charlie Sheen-ish"! So glad she didn't win.

I was totally rooting for Alli. But, I get the impression Diane will be mentoring Alli in some capacity. I think HB got the win because Diane's people convinced her they could somehow capitalize on HB's  blog... to appeal to the younger generation.

• Love 4

Brittany had also styled celebrities in a younger, hipper market, and managed to be gracious and appropriate to people she needed to impress. Cat just had the kick down. She came without her kiss up engaged.

Besides, is DVF chasing the next generation of real housewives? Because that's the vibe I got from Cat.

• Love 1

I was like, so shocked that Diane, like, picked, like, Hannah Beth!   Are there no poised, articulate, intelligent, original young women who applied for the gig?

I didn't watch Season 1, but I have to assume that this is about who made good TV as opposed to someone actually serving as a global brand ambassador. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense. DVF is awesome, but I think her picker is broken.

• Love 1

Ha, thank you for posting that because my OCD wanted to rewatch and count too!

I really wonder how her parents reacted to seeing her on this show. Did they wince and cringe at her behavior? Or did they laugh it off and say, "That's so Cat!"?

Her parents seem like such cool people that they probably just laughed it off.  She is a lucky girl if her parents are really that supportive, honest and sweet in real life.  And it has nothing to do with their status or title.  Can you imagine if she had gotten stuck with HB's mom?  Yikes!

• Love 2

I really wonder how her parents reacted to seeing her on this show. Did they wince and cringe at her behavior? Or did they laugh it off and say, "That's so Cat!"?

Probably poured themselves another scotch and are hoping she doesn't move back in with them.

• Love 3

One nice thing for Diane is that this "job" can basically be anything she wants it to be.  There is zero transparency needed for this thing.  And I'm sure every single person signed a contract that stated if they won, they had no control over anything and that Diane and her company could do anything they want. 

I think they'll find a nice cubicle so Hanna Beth can play on social media, and every so often throw her a crumb and send her out with Brittany.  Because even though HB is the new brand "ambassador" nobody said the old one was going anywhere!  Brittany was on this last episode, so I don't think she's toast just because HB was crowned.  I can see Diane assembling a whole posse of "ambassadors" that will do her bidding. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

Probably poured themselves another scotch and are hoping she doesn't move back in with them.

Well, according to Cat she has a place in NYC and a place in LA so its unlikely she will give up her exciting bi-coastal lifestyle to move back in with mom and dad :)

I am now convinced Cat was cast this season just so we could get that fabulous screen cap of her reaction to HB winning... a meme for all occasions!!

I know naught about fashion, but do or would HB's "peers" really wear DVF? I thought HB often looked silly in the outfits because in no way did they go with her "persona" and DVF's patterns clash with her tattoos! Speaking of which, her tats drove me crazy. There were like 25 little (tho not as little as her mom's!) individual tattoos on her arms, legs, back, but they just seemed random and jarring. To my eye, at least.

No idea if HB and her pals come from money, but DVF clothes are quite expensive for the "average person" so again, I can't see her bringing these clothes to the edgy, gothic, crowd. Am I crazy for thinking that? And I can't image DVF really enjoying the graffiti-like painting HB's friend did during the party. Just doesn't seem like her style or anything she'd want representing her brand.

Still laughing over Cat not winning. Still thinking Allie should have been the winner. Still wondering why I watched this show all the way to the end...

• Love 1

I am now convinced Cat was cast this season just so we could get that fabulous screen cap of her reaction to HB winning... a meme for all occasions!!

I know naught about fashion, but do or would HB's "peers" really wear DVF? I thought HB often looked silly in the outfits because in no way did they go with her "persona" and DVF's patterns clash with her tattoos! Speaking of which, her tats drove me crazy. There were like 25 little (tho not as little as her mom's!) individual tattoos on her arms, legs, back, but they just seemed random and jarring. To my eye, at least.

No idea if HB and her pals come from money, but DVF clothes are quite expensive for the "average person" so again, I can't see her bringing these clothes to the edgy, gothic, crowd. Am I crazy for thinking that? And I can't image DVF really enjoying the graffiti-like painting HB's friend did during the party. Just doesn't seem like her style or anything she'd want representing her brand.

Still laughing over Cat not winning. Still thinking Allie should have been the winner. Still wondering why I watched this show all the way to the end...

Well, its only 8 episodes, so its easy to see it through to the end :)

And its a good show, IMO.  Its like brain candy, easy to watch.  I really liked Alli though, I hope she find success in life.  She seems to have a friend in Jessica, which I think is neat.

Speaking of which, her tats drove me crazy. There were like 25 little (tho not as little as her mom's!) individual tattoos on her arms, legs, back, but they just seemed random and jarring. To my eye, at least.

Oh, thanks for mentioning that. Her tats bothered me, too. They seem so meaningless. It looked as if she pointed to pictures in the tattoo parlor and just decided to get them.

I liked Alli, but the minute she wore that ugly 70s leisure looking blue suit, I knew she was out.

Well I have no tats, am not "edgy" but..I was delighted to watch the finale and see Hannah Beth win! Congrats to her!

I really did not think I would like her at first - the token tatted goth etc - but she is very sweet and I think she wore DVF very well and she has changed and adapted

and still is herself.

There must have been a reason that most of the other contestants liked her - it was obvious why they didn't like Kat but they also did not include Ali.

I think Ali is a sweet, pretty girl but one of the true things Kat said was that she had just decided she want to be "in fashion" this last year. I have watched many many reality shows since the early days and after awhile  you can spot a "reality wannabe" and I thought that of Ali - I think she would have audtioned for the Voice, American Idol...Big Brother...maybe even the Bachelor.? She really did not seem into fashion and frankly I think she lacked taste....she sure could not be on Top Chef or HGTV "design star"  LOL - that table setting was awful

Now...Cat was a villain beyond most "villians">> the unique thing was seeing other "judges" (Diane's staff) talk and even joke about her!

That was truly a first LOL

Her delusional reaction was priceless.. yikes!

I really think HB wll do fine.and she brings all her followers to the mix and can attract more..they can groom her for the appearances but they could not get 300k or whatever instagram followers out of the air for the other gals. And as others said - the position is fluid, can be what DVF wants

I couldn't agree more, especially the bolded part. I like Hanna Beth, but I'd be concerned about her introversion because being a brand ambassador involves being outgoing. Not just on social media, but in person. For this reason, I think Alli has the edge on both fronts, as where I think HB's strength is social media. Plenty of introverts love social media because I think it makes them feel as though they can pass for extroverts.

I think Hanna showed herself as more outgoing than that when she did very well giving the red carpet interviews. I remember her saying she had done interviews before the show too.  So she did show herself doing well with social interactions other than social media.  

I think Hanna showed herself as more outgoing than that when she did very well giving the red carpet interviews. I remember her saying she had done interviews before the show too.  So she did show herself doing well with social interactions other than social media.  

She seemed to think that those interviews were the hardest thing ever, and I think she had to practice with Jessica first.  She has almost routinely done poorly at sales tasks or tasks where she has to interact with people because she doesn't want to have to interact.  The other candidates were willing to jump in, while she always held herself back.  After the elevator incident she basically sat in a corner.  I get that it was a bad time, but a BA should be able to pull it together to deal with it....or at least hold off a breakdown until after the job in finished.

• Love 1

I'm sure that soon, HB will be trapped at the top of an escalator and forgotten by DVF. Then, we'll get House of DVF Season 3!

I could see that....the escalator steps are moving too fast and HB is over anxious and can't decide when to get on.  She forgets her smelling salts and faints right there in front of the escalator!  And as you say House of DVF Season 3 is born!

She seemed to think that those interviews were the hardest thing ever, and I think she had to practice with Jessica first.  She has almost routinely done poorly at sales tasks or tasks where she has to interact with people because she doesn't want to have to interact.  The other candidates were willing to jump in, while she always held herself back.  After the elevator incident she basically sat in a corner.  I get that it was a bad time, but a BA should be able to pull it together to deal with it....or at least hold off a breakdown until after the job in finished.

You beat me to it. HB reminds me of a friend who is proudly introverted, even shy to the extent that she doesn't always look people in the eye when talking to them. I used to find that jarring, until I realized that she's painfully shy around people she's getting to know. Anyway, she goes to a lot of events, has done interviews and writeups, has photographed many events, and uses social media more than what might be considered "normal" use. Still, she's not really outgoing in the truest sense of the word. This is how I see HB too.

If I needed my friend or Hanna Beth to take photographs or do mini-interviews for my company, then that's not a problem. The problem is that, in the case of a brand ambassador position, they would have to be comfortable chatting up all sorts of people, motivate those people into becoming brand advocates, and then keeping those brand advocates interested enough in the products and services that those advocates will pay money for them, get others to become advocates and shell out money for them, and thus generate sales and revenue for the company. I don't think either is a natural salesperson.

What interests me more is why Hanna Beth decided to enter this competition. As others have noted here, she's not exactly a DVF woman and I'm guessing neither are most of her peers. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but given her social media reach, you would think she would have approached a brand closer to her own aesthetic and asked to intern or shadow. I'm kind of fascinated to know the real reason behind her joining the competition. I like her edginess (at least, what passes for edgy on her), but I'm not sure the DVF can ever qualify as being edgy and that shouldn't be the expectation. It's smarter to play to your core audience. I think that Alli most embodied the DVF aesthetic (but with some help from Jessica).

I will say that Alli and Hanna Beth are willing to learn what it takes to be in that position, as where Cat thinks she knows everything.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

^^I agree with you 100%  With the interviews someone was bringing a person to HB, and she pretty much had a script of what to say.  But as a brand ambassador she would be expected to approach and sell to people, and I think thats an entirely different can of worms.  I too would be interested in knowing why HB thought the show would be a good idea..maybe to increase her own status in the fashion blogger world?  Maybe her ex-boyfriend taught her that fame is the answer to everything...

• Love 1

^^I agree with you 100%  With the interviews someone was bringing a person to HB, and she pretty much had a script of what to say.  But as a brand ambassador she would be expected to approach and sell to people, and I think thats an entirely different can of worms.  I too would be interested in knowing why HB thought the show would be a good idea..maybe to increase her own status in the fashion blogger world?  Maybe her ex-boyfriend taught her that fame is the answer to everything...

I will give HB props for being an introvert who successfully interviewed Naomi Campbell. I adore Naomi, but let's face it, she can be a difficult person. Lol.

• Love 1

I will give HB props for being an introvert who successfully interviewed Naomi Campbell. I adore Naomi, but let's face it, she can be a difficult person. Lol.

poor NC, she is trying so hard and you can just tell.  She was on Ladies of London acting like a sweetheart...as if we all don't remember a few years back when she hit an assistant with a telephone.  She probably only did the interview so she could be on TV acting nice.  I still love her though.

• Love 1

poor NC, she is trying so hard and you can just tell. She was on Ladies of London acting like a sweetheart...as if we all don't remember a few years back when she hit an assistant with a telephone. She probably only did the interview so she could be on TV acting nice. I still love her though.

Naomi's been cleaning up with the TV roles lately. Empire and American Horror Story.

I can see her being pretty good friends with Annabelle.

Anyway, I'm pulling for Hanna Beth to be a great brand ambassador, but I'm not sure she's much of a salesperson.

But, to be honest, I haven't kept up on Brittany's progress either. Brittany and Cat have similar personalities though.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

Naomi's been cleaning up with the TV roles lately. Empire and American Horror Story.

I can see her being pretty good friends with Annabelle.

Anyway, I'm pulling for Hanna Beth to be a great brand ambassador, but I'm not sure she's much of a salesperson.

But, to be honest, I haven't kept up on Brittany's progress either. Brittany and Cat have similar personalities though.

You're a good person :)  I never truly warmed up to HB, so it won't break my heart if she decides to bone out of the BA program.  Can you imagine her and Brittany sharing an office?  Me-ow!  I do however feel for her with her mother, who I'm sure will take every opportunity to publicly embassy HB by acting like her rowdy sister instead of her mother.

I didn't know she was in AHS!  That show is huge...that is awesome for her!  She was awesome on Empire...it didn't hurt that her role was probably close to who she is in real life, but she is so fierce that I can never hate her.

Brittany and Cat working the same job would have made for a second amazing reality show.  I could have gone for eight episodes of just that drama.  The only progress I see from Brittney is what they've shown on the show.

You're a good person :)  I never truly warmed up to HB, so it won't break my heart if she decides to bone out of the BA program.  Can you imagine her and Brittany sharing an office?  Me-ow!  I do however feel for her with her mother, who I'm sure will take every opportunity to publicly embassy HB by acting like her rowdy sister instead of her mother.

I didn't know she was in AHS!  That show is huge...that is awesome for her!  She was awesome on Empire...it didn't hurt that her role was probably close to who she is in real life, but she is so fierce that I can never hate her.

Brittany and Cat working the same job would have made for a second amazing reality show.  I could have gone for eight episodes of just that drama.  The only progress I see from Brittney is what they've shown on the show.

I think Hanna Beth is striking. I think it's cool that she's found her passion (on IG, whatever), even if some don't think it's a big deal or it's not legitimate in some way. She has enough social media followers to get Diane's attention, if she's looking to market her brand and products toward the Millennials. I'm just not sure how successful HB will be because she and I'm guessing most of her followers probably don't share the DVF aesthetic. I believe Diane chose HB because of her social media presence and contacts. Plus Hanna Beth seems nice enough. I don't picture HB being the type to act obnoxious or embarrass DVF. Initially, I wasn't too sure about Hanna Beth, but she sort of grew on me as the season progressed.

Thanks regarding the "good person" compliment. I don't always have nice things to say about others. Hell, I haven't even left a comment on the current Ladies of London thread. Oy.

Hanna Beth's mother is one of those middle-aged folks who still thinks she's 21 and probably sees her daughter more as a friend. HB seems to love her mother as is, so it doesn't make much of a difference what I think. Lol.

I cannot imagine Brittany and Hanna Beth having much in common or anything really to discuss, outside of the job and its responsibilities. I, too, would have tuned into a show about Brittany and Cat having to work together. Probably reality show ratings gold. Since they're so similar in personality, I don't see them getting on well at all. You'd think that, as stylists, they'd have more people-friendly personalities, instead of aggressive ones.

Oh, and yes, Naomi's in AHS. She's playing a bitchy fashion editor (kind of close to type too), but she's already been killed. Heh. However, it's very possible she comes back as one of the undead.

• Love 1

Diane saying Cat was her favorite --- well she didn't have to spend as much time with Cat as the others did and I'm sure Cat didn't sass her.  The CEO of Netflix is often quoted as saying: "Do not tolerate brilliant jerks. The cost to teamwork is too high."

Cat is not brilliant but whatever positive she does bring, is certainly outweighed by all the negative.

This show isn't about find a brand ambassador (which is a cross between spokesmodel and salesperson); it's about expanding DVF's reach into the younger generation.  Diane saw what a boost Michael Kors got for himself and his brand via his association with Project Runway; his stuff was middle America middle aged housewives before PR and now teens and college girls are sporting his accessories.

• Love 2

Diane saying Cat was her favorite --- well she didn't have to spend as much time with Cat as the others did and I'm sure Cat didn't sass her.  The CEO of Netflix is often quoted as saying: "Do not tolerate brilliant jerks. The cost to teamwork is too high."

Cat is not brilliant but whatever positive she does bring, is certainly outweighed by all the negative.

This show isn't about find a brand ambassador (which is a cross between spokesmodel and salesperson); it's about expanding DVF's reach into the younger generation.  Diane saw what a boost Michael Kors got for himself and his brand via his association with Project Runway; his stuff was middle America middle aged housewives before PR and now teens and college girls are sporting his accessories.

Thats a really cool quote.