Type keyword(s) to search

House Of DVF - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'd be shocked if the company didn't provide them with a closet full of loaner dresses for all the DVF events they are expected to attend. They definitely were the wrap dress squad for that press event and you know that they all didn't come to the competition with those in their suitcases. And remember when Tiffany was booted, Diane told her, "you can keep the dress." So I assumed it was a loaner. They are auditioning for the role of brand ambassador; they should be wearing the brand 24/7. They all have good figures, why wouldn't they want to show Diane constantly how well they can rock her designs? (Except Abigail, who suffers from the dreaded "questionable taste.") Totally shit judgment skills, which seems to be par for the course with this crew.

It's clear that Young Margaret Cho likes to get her drink on, but for Brittany to harp over and over that "Jlnna's champagne party" prevented them from getting super basic items like plates and silverware, was… shall we say… "deeply disingenuous." The camera showed BOTH of them walking around shopping with champagne glasses in their hands, and if Brittany has her shit together as much as she likes to say she does, she would've been on top of that no matter what what Young MC was doing. 

With that said, I can't stand Young MC's hair. Yes, the ombre color trend is huge right now but when you have jet black hair that just suddenly turns blonde at the ends, it's not ombre (a gradual change from dark to light), it is just tacky. I think the "hung over" label was her kiss of death with Diane and she will never make it to the end. But I believe Abigail is the one who is going out next week, because Diane said she hadn't spent a lot of time with Young MC and I don't think she would boot someone before spending some face time with her.

My first love of Michael came in episode 2 but this one sealed it for me.  I loved how he smacked Kier down so effortlessly.  And I love to hear him speak. 

I think Jessica is fed who has problems because Jinna didn't look hung over at all.  And her comment to Dianne about Brittany after the event.  You bring that up now? After we see her call the girls checking on them (even though she didn't have all their stuff done), commenting on Jinna drinking while she did also.  Jessica wasn't there so how did she get this vibe on her.  I don't think she's that smart.

Stefanie reminds me of Nina Garcia from Project Runway (if someone said this I am so, so sorry).  Both ladies love themselves something fierce. You have to "see" them at all times.  That's a sign for me to ignore.

• Love 1

My first love of Michael came in episode 2 but this one sealed it for me.  I loved how he smacked Kier down so effortlessly.  And I love to hear him speak.

I loved the way he showed the girls the difference between a grown up/professional/no BS employee and a wannabe.

• Love 3

With respect, Heebie, I have to disagree with this. And I speak as an 'older person'.

I don't see Diane as desperately trying to maintain her relevance. She's head and founder of a global company, president of CFDA (did I get those initials right?) and still obviously personally involved in the day to day operation of her business. She's respected in the fashion world and she's generally known to mentor young people and be generally generous. He business, which she built from nothing, is a success.

Yes, she can be cranky, yes she can be a bitch, yes she's a tough businesswoman who expects her employees to perform and whose main concern on this show is maintaining her reputation and that of her company. So what? If she were a doormat she wouldn't be where she is, she wouldn't be who she is. And--to pull out the obvious--if she were a man no one would think twice about any of this.

Was this show a misstep? Sure, maybe. It's cheesy, tacky and the girls are ridiculous and all wrong. But Diane is still a major player and will remain so after this silly show is a footnote.

Curious.  Do you know her current market share?  She tried to get with Sears the same time the Kardashians did.  Sears.  I stand by my opinion and respect you to stand by yours.  But I don't think that your opinion is anything but that.  you aren't in her head and unless you know something the rest of don't, it seems clear the branding is off point.  Otherwise this show would not exist.

I have no idea what every young woman knows about DVF,  but I don't think her brand is on top of anything in that market or really any market.  It has prevailed.  But that does not mean there aren't cracks. Perhaps serious.  I don't think it demeans her achievements to think she might actually want to still have the level she once did.  But I do think she is not deigning from the loftiest heights.  This, in my opinion, is scrambling.   Maybe she is still in sight of Fashion's summit.  A look at the push back for investment less then ten years ago is telling though.  Again.  As is the show.  This is not someone sitting in the halls of Olympus chuckling at the res to of the futile efforts of lesser beings.  This is someone who got in bed with E! of all things and it remains how the morning after is going to turn out. But the walk of shame has already started in terms of the results of this poor thing.

Ratings from the start would also suggest she isn't the pop culture powerhouse I think she thought.  And maybe by your post you do as well.

Again. I give massive respect to what she has accomplished.  But I don't give her some kind of blanket that looks at this as something that doesn't reflect on her.  At least in the manner I posted.

• Love 2

You'd think that the company would be providing outfits to all these girls for the duration of the show.

I'd think so too.  At least some pieces.  I was a bit surprised that none of the contestants brought their own DVF.  I'd have hit up eBay or a consignment shop and picked up scarves, belts or a dress if I could.   Certainly wouldn't be going on with Sex in the City leftovers.

I loved Michael in this episode.  And I pretty much like Jessica in every one too.  But then I'm partial to my own.

I chuckle at the going away bags.  First cast-off got a book and candy.  Tif got a dress and who knows?  It was a big bag. 

http://www.dvf.com/house-of-dvf/meet-the-girls/

They list 8.  

First up is Abs.  23 from Orlando.  Fashion background.  Very much a fan of her own style.

http://www.dvf.com/house-of-dvf/meet-the-girls/abigail.html

Amanda, the less bitchy blonde.  22 from Philly.  Interned at Kors, Pulitzer and Lepore.

http://www.dvf.com/house-of-dvf/meet-the-girls/amanda.html

Brittany, self described bitch in a bag.  25 from San Fran. Freelance stylist in H'wood.

http://www.dvf.com/house-of-dvf/meet-the-girls/brittany.html

Codi, bleach blonde with eye black eye brows.  23 from Utah.  Photographer.  Mormon Carrie Bradshaw.  Cries.  A lot.

http://www.dvf.com/house-of-dvf/meet-the-girls/codi.html

Jinna, party hardy. 26 from Virginia Beach.  Industry experience with Guess, Barney's, D&G.

http://www.dvf.com/house-of-dvf/meet-the-girls/jinna.html

Kier, the bitchiest of the blondes.  25 from Washington state.   Fashion blogger.   Selfie queen.  

http://www.dvf.com/house-of-dvf/meet-the-girls/kier.html

Lenore, her accent and nose enter the room before she does.   24 from Staten Island.  FIT student.   Mob-wives chic.

http://www.dvf.com/house-of-dvf/meet-the-girls/lenore.html

Tiffani, The South Bronx Angelina Jolie.  19 from The Bronx.  The tattooed baby of the group.  Eye for merchandising.

http://www.dvf.com/house-of-dvf/meet-the-girls/tiffani.html

Edited by Lola16

Hey there Heebie. And thanks for your comments--you make some good points. No, I've no idea of DVF's market share and assume it isn't what it was when she was the new 'it' designer on the block. And suspect that this mess of a show is either something she was misled or misunderstood the actual realization of or she simply decided to ascribe to the concept that there's no such thing as bad publicity--something I don't happen to agree with.

What I was trying to convey, perhaps ineptly, was that I have respect for her very real accomplishments and she seems to have the respect of her peers--hence her being named head of CFDA. I've also heard tales of her generosity to young, hopeful designers through the years. Her company is still there while others have tanked either through irrelevancy or victims of a sagging economy and that, also, is no easy feat for which I give her due credit.

I'd also like to add that I appreciate being able to hold opposing opinions on this site without have some call out the hounds. I don't hate you, I'm assuming you don't hate me; we simply have a different take on this and that's okay. It's refreshing and a welcome attitude so thanks to all about that.

• Love 2

"The Frontline of Fashion"

Season 1, Episode 5

Episode Synopsis: The ladies argue during a retail assignment; and the fighting continues as they work on a social media campaign. But when hostilities between the candidates are revealed in Diane's office, the fashion designer is forced to make some surprising decisions.

The episode starts off with the dreaded gift bag.

First things first - whoever does the subtitles for this show needs to be fired. "Who's shoot is it?" Come on, E!

On the one hand, I felt like Jinna and Abigail's eliminations were inevitable. Jinna has been shown really drunk twice already and it's only the fifth episode. And that's not including the day drinking she did when she was yelling at guys on the street. I'm all for having fun and unwinding, but you can't get THAT drunk on camera if you are on a show competing for a job.

While Abigail has made some funny comments during her interviews, she clearly had no interest in doing certain tasks. I totally understand if some of them are in areas that are not your forte, but you have to at least make it look like you're making an effort.

I loved when Diane asked Jinna what she thought being a DVF brand ambassador meant because obviously none of us are clear on what it entails either. Please feel free to enlighten us, Diane!

At this point, it's the lesser of four evils as to who I hope wins. Brittany is ridiculously unprofessional. Her real colors are definitely showing. The way she kept baiting Kier and saying things like, "What are you going to do to me? Nothing? Then shut up the fuck up. I wish you WOULD do something," were just as bullying as what Lenore later characterized as Kier bullying them. Brittany is also an overtalker and an interrupter which is a huge pet peeve of mine because it is so rude and disrespectful. I swear (probably more than I should) but I would never swear at a coworker while we are at work and I would definitely not do it on camera if we were being filmed. Brittany would be a nightmare to work with.

I have made no secret of the fact that I don't like Kier because she is full of herself and so fake (I also checked out her blog and I just can't with her because she claims that she is good at grammar and then proceeds to capitalize random words and has run-on sentences on the very same page where she said her grammar is so great).

But I felt bad for Kier at that morning meeting because they purposely left her out and then told her not to be upset about it. She was totally fine with using a different model and didn't put up a fuss about it but they kept trying to provoke her into getting upset and blaming her and she kept trying to shut it down by saying things like, "We have a new girl? Great!" For me the final straw was when Brittany said, "Don't victimize yourself and make it seem like we went behind your back." But that's exactly what you did, Brittany! You went behind her back last night when you contacted your BFF to be the model and planned the storyline for the photo shoot and then told Lenore and Amanda when Kier wasn't there.

That leaves Amanda and Lenore. I think Lenore is a little too unpolished to be a DVF ambassador right now. Amanda seems more even keeled and professional so I hope she ends up winning, but honestly as long as it's not Brittany or Kier I can live with either Amanda or Lenore winning.

As Amanda pointed out, Brittany fought with everyone on the day of the photo shoot. The common denominator in that equation is Brittany. I'm not saying the other girls are all angels but clearly Brittany is a shit stirring instigator if she's the one who is having fights with every single one of the other girls. And she is a bitch of a coworker for making sarcastic comments and rude noises during Lenore's photoshoot. Then she had the nerve to tell Lenore that they respected her opinion and gave her everything she wanted for her photoshoot. Yes, making bitchy remarks counts as respecting someone else's opinion!

For Brittany to later say that the girls complaining about her in front of DVF was inappropriate was hilariously hypocritical considering that she spent all day being unprofessional. Yes, you did sound like fifth graders bickering in front of Diane, but you also sounded like fifth graders arguing on the street and during your photoshoot. Brittany even managed to take shots at the girls again while she was reprimanding them for fighting in front of Diane. So it's okay to tell Lenore that she doesn't know what she's talking about and she's "clutter-brained" and that Kier is fake and not humble as long as she doesn't says it in front of Diane? There's being professional and then there's being a two faced ass kissing bitch.

Lenore's concept was crazy from the beginning. Why would you have someone working out in a DVF romper? And if your'e going to do that, why would you be working out on a car? The model looked like she had never done yoga in her life either based on her poses and technique. Based on what we saw at the photoshoot, I was convinced that Lenore was going home. Thank goodness she had a different photo for the final presentation that didn't look as crazy.

The other concepts weren't bad but they weren't executed well. Kier's photo of the girl on the luggage cart was a good idea in theory but it's been done before, and it's been done much better. Amanda's boardroom concept falls into the same category. It could have been a powerful (if not cliche) picture but it was boring. Brittany's getting ready to go out picture was the most cliche of the three. I guess putting on lipstick was slightly better than the selfie picture that we saw Brittany shooting earlier. Ha, I loved the media lady's critique of Brittany's photo: "If she would have looked at the camera and smiled at us and do something cheeky like wink, it would be a completely different photo." So what you're saying is if the picture was totally not what we saw, it might be interesting! To be honest, I'm not sure whether to blame the girls for their photography/direction/concepts or Sammi for being a terrible model.

Based on the previews for next week (all four girls are shown sitting on the couch in their pajamas), no one is getting eliminated for this photo shoot challenge, which is interesting. I guess they figured that they already eliminated two girls in this episode. The editing is getting weird. Why have that cliffhanger last week with an elimination at the beginning of this episode, eliminate another girl after the sales task, and then not show any elimination from the photoshoot task at the end of the episode? But HA, the return of Jessica next week! And she wants to get rid of Brittany!

• Love 2
Why would you have someone working out in a DVF romper?

I think the more important question is why does DVF make rompers?  

They're all awful.  The whole lot of them.  DVF doesn't come off looking like a bed of roses either- I like her much better on the Fashion Fund.

This was a hard episode to watch because of all the fighting and over-talking. I kind of felt bad for Kier when she came down at the beginning of the shoot.  All 3 girls were looking for her to start a fight and she said nothing wrong. And if she wanted to question why the change, she did have every right to since she knew nothing about the change.  She didn't even put up a fight.  I'm all for Amanda having a voice but you don't go steal someone else's sale.  If someone was helping me and a family member and was approached I'd be irritated, especially when you see we are being helped.  Then again, I hate pushy sales people and a second one coming into the mix wouldn't help.  Brittany needs a smack down like Kier had and hopefully Jessica gives it to her.   I liked how Diane sent them off when they were fighting. 

I'm glad Jinna is gone.  It wasn't the first or even second time she was drunk.  I'm sorry for her past hard times but she isn't the only one who has a sad story.  That would be a reason, for me, that I wouldn't be getting stupid drunk on camera and with your competition. 

These episodes are much more enjoyable when you get some screen time from Michael.  He's the only person that is enjoyable to watch.

• Love 2

Lenore is probably the only one I could spend 5 minutes with without getting, in her words, "fusterated". I don't think any of these girls see the others as co-workers, they are just competition.  

I had no problem with Jinna & Abby getting booted, as neither one has the capacity to be anything other than self-absorbed whiners. 

And I counted at least 3 times that I heard "It's not fair!".  Seriously?  It's not?  Good to know. 

I really cannot stand DVF constantly referring to her GIRL.  I don't care that they're trying to reach a younger demographic, I think it's demeaning and stupid to keep referring to women as GIRLS.  

Man, I can't stand Brittany; can't stand her smug attitude, her two-faced, phoney nature or her wannabe-gangsta potty mouth and completely unprofessional attitude with co-workers.

What a nasty bitch she is---to me, she is farrrr worse than Kier in the attitude-department. At least Kier is serious about getting a job done and has enough class to keep her temper and curse words at bay when on the job or otherwise. And at least Kier doesn't constantly bait/berate her co-workers with bitchy commentary specifically designed to stir shit up.

Honestly, I thought it was disgusting the way the girls all sat there trying to get Kier upset and fighting about their sudden little model-switch at the last minute---and the way Kier absolutely refused to take their bait actually made me root for her against their silly little "Mean Girls"-esque showdown.

Actually, I blame Brittany's pudgy-legged bland "best friend" for ruining that shoot because she was such a hideously incapable model who wasn't comfortable posing in a variety of inventive ways and it showed. Kier's far prettier model would've been far superior and probably would've rocked that shoot---and they didn't pick her for the shoot because she said on the phone she was "boring"?! Give the gal some credit for her honesty---owning your own business and thus working your ass off constantly IS boring to most people, that's why most people don't do it, sheesh!!

So if they want to blame someone for ruining that entire day's shooting, blame Brittany and her pointless batch of raging cuntitude for the entire miserable day. She's just awful!!

• Love 4

I don't think either choice was good for the 'new DVF woman'.  Kier's choice was horsey.  Lenore's choice was shlumpy.    In discussing the choices, they spent a good bit of time on the background of their choices but I didn't hear that come into play when they were presenting (maybe I spaced out or it was cut for time).

Brittany and Kier are equal to me on the bitch and self-impressed scale.

Shocked Kier didn't suggest herself as the model for the day.

Lenore's family was cute.  I get the sense that she amps up her accent and mannerisms for effect.  She's on the wrong show for that.

Jinna pulling out the dead dad story --- too late.  Felt like an episode of Chopped.   From the coming attractions, it doesn't appear that the remaining contestants learned anything from Jinna's departure.

• Love 2

Lenore's facial expressions and gestures are what keep me coming back to watch the show at this point, frankly. Yes super unpolished but hilarious, and the chick knows how to sell a dress. I have a feeling she will have a future in DVF retail if she doesn't win this brand ambassadorship.

(my laptop dictation interpreted the above as "brand ambassador shit" which is actually way more appropriate, given the ludicrous premise that anyone of this crew ever was deserving of a role like this.)

I hope Brittany and Kier claw each other's eyes out. 

• Love 4
the chick knows how to sell a dress. I have a feeling she will have a future in DVF retail if she doesn't win this brand ambassadorship.

ITA - even though she doesn't seem polished enough to be a brand ambassador, she was great in the shop. My issue with sales people in high end shops is that they can be overly intrusive or obviously kissing ass (but not in an awesome Pretty Woman kind of way). From what we saw of her helping the customers, she was friendly and helpful without being too in your face. She also seemed very natural with them (as opposed to stiff or fake) so I think at the very least she will get offered a sales position at one of their retail locations.

Her reaction shots on the show are Laguna Beach/Hills worthy. What I like about her is that even when she is exaggerating a little (as it seemed she was doing when she had dinner with her family), it's still coming from a genuine place. She and Amanda seem the most authentic. I think that Kier and Brittany have both been a little too calculated in the way they present themselves, especially in the first few weeks before the gloves came off. But I agree that at least Kier is able to keep her shit together enough not to drop F bombs left and right.

Of the girls who are left, Brittany is the one who gives me a mean girl vibe. The way she laughed during Lenore's photo shoot and then made that sarcastic remark made me want to wipe the smug right off her face. She is convinced that she is the only one who is ever right. As wack as Lenore's fitness theme was, the fact that Brittany hated it and Diane loved it totally cracked me up. I felt like Amanda and Lenore jumped on the "let's see how much we can needle Kier" bandwagon because she has been a pill to deal with previously and they were (unfairly) blaming her for the model issue. When they talked to her on the street, she seemed perfectly normal. How was Kier supposed to know that she was going to say, "I don't know," to everything when they called her?

I was unclear about the whole assignment. Based on the way the girls wanted to drop Kier's girl after her phone interview (and based on some of the ways they were trying to entice girls on the street to participate), I thought that the model's real life and personality was supposed to play a role in the assignment. But what we saw at the presentation was just each girl holding up a photo with the model nowhere in sight. If they knew that in advance, I have no idea why they cared anything about the model's real life or personality. Not that I think all models are stupid or boring, but a model's job isn't to be interesting. It's too look good wearing the clothes. So who cares if Kier's model works all the time and doesn't go out partying? Can she look like a fun girl while wearing DVF clothes? While I respect anyone who is running their own business, body chains? Really?

• Love 2

Gee, this episode threw me for a loop. Jinna and Abigail were quickly dumped, and then there were four.

I'm starting to like Lenore more, or at least she annoys me less than she used to. It's a start.

Normally I like Brittany and dislike Kier, but with this episode, what's up is down and what's down is up. Kudos to Kier (did I just say that?) for not taking the bait after the model switch. The other girls tried their best to rile her up over the "model debacle", but in this instance, Kier proved to be the mature one. She accepted that her initial choice of model wasn't going to work, and was ready to move on, but the others seemed determined to exact some pound of flesh. First of all, do companies really care about the personal lives of the models they hire? If you can visually convey the message the company wants to send, you're hired! So now

I'm a Kier fan? Maybe next week will bring me back to normal.

I pegged Brittany early as a strong contender, but boy, that potty mouth and wannabe gangsta 'tude is just so unattractive. Even worse in this setting, it's unprofessional. I don't mind her strong personality, but lately it seems she's so unnecessarily mean. I guess this is a competition, but still.

You know who no one talks about much? Amanda. She's good, but she's as milquetoast a person as I've ever seen. It's not that she's " no drama", after all Lenore's fairly drama free too, but Amanda doesn't have much of a personality. Which means she'll probably be the last one standing. Oh well.

• Love 2

Actually, I blame Brittany's pudgy-legged bland "best friend" for ruining that shoot because she was such a hideously incapable model who wasn't comfortable posing in a variety of inventive ways and it showed. Kier's far prettier model would've been far superior and probably would've rocked that shoot---and they didn't pick her for the shoot because she said on the phone she was "boring"?! Give the gal some credit for her honesty---owning your own business and thus working your ass off constantly IS boring to most people, that's why most people don't do it, sheesh!!

I agree! I think a lot of people might think their lives are boring to others, but they aren't. A young, beautiful woman who lives in NY and owns her own business? That's the opposite of boring to me. The fact that she thinks she is boring is in fact "effortless" - the idea that DVF was asking the girls to convey. 

This show is reminding me of the most annoying thing about grad school - group projects. UGH. 

• Love 3

This show is reminding me of the most annoying thing about grad school - group projects. UGH.

And undergrad, high school, and middle school. Whenever group projects were announced, I wanted to ask, "Aren't we too old for this? Can't we just each do our own project/paper/presentation?"

And undergrad, high school, and middle school. Whenever group projects were announced, I wanted to ask, "Aren't we too old for this? Can't we just each do our own project/paper/presentation?"

I hear what you're saying but I suspect that the point was to get them to work together, compromise and produce something coherent since a lot of creative work on a professional, company based level is just that; compromise and working within a group. Certainly there may be a team or project leader but that doesn't equate to dictator.

That means you need to listen to your coworkers, accept that, whether you like them personally or not, they have input and then the group or team must be able to winnow out the crap to get a salable and attractive product.

It's also been my own work experience as a design professional that if you're unable to do this and be reasonably pleasant, you simply don't last all that long. There are too many qualified, trained and talented others waiting in line for your job.

• Love 1

I think it varies and there are a number of factors (what industry you work in, what your actual job is, etc.). I have had jobs where I had to play nice with people but I didn't have to collaborate on projects with them. Being a coworker means knowing how to ask for things in a nice way (as opposed to "Bitch, where the hell is that report?!"). But working on a creative project together like putting together a photo shoot (which is something my sister had to do for her job when she worked at a magazine) requires a lot more team work and compromise.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that not every job requires you to really work in a group where everyone's voice is supposed to be equal, which is what we're seeing on this show. On a lot of group projects in the workplace, there is someone in charge who is going to supervise and make sure that it doesn't devolve into the childish crap we have seen with these girls (although to be fair, I know a lot of people who DO have to put up with childish crap at work too) and their roles are more defined. At this week's photo shoot there was a lot of power struggle because they are all taking on multiple roles and they each wanted things a certain way. At a real photo shoot, the photographer wouldn't be pushing the clothing rack and calling a model the night before and deciding which outfits the model wears. The free for all is what really reminds me of the group projects of my youth. But I'm sure that's exactly why the parameters of these projects are so loosie goosie - the producers WANT all that catfight drama.

• Love 1

Just tuned in the past few episodes and not liking anyone at this point. I actually thought maybe it was ok for Amanda to try to help out the daughter while Lenore was picking out stuff for the mother. But the way they argued in front of the customers was so wrong on both parts. Lenore is unpolished, Kier is just strange and Brittany is always going to be the bitchy one. Everyone deserves a goodbye bag. But if I had to choose anyone I guess it would be Amanda because she's the least objectionable. And a little dull so maybe malleable enough to be a spokespuppet for a dull fashion brand.

Ugh Brittany is so awful. She really fails to grasp that a low class broad trying to instigate fights is exactly that, whether she's wearing Kmart or DVF. 

And the "Who says 'Thanks for your help, guys'???" attitude? Um, people that are thankful for your help? Did she say it sarcastically or something? I couldn't tell if I missed some part of that story line or if they are all just idiots. Both seems likely. 

Does Amanda's face remind anyone else of Miley Cyrus's? Like back when Miley had a little more meat on her bones?

What happens in the Hamptons? Brittany acts like such a pompous asshole that she ends up sent home, THAT is what happens, hah!!!

But honestly, who cares about any of them at this point? Amanda is a mealy-mouthed, boring dimbulb sorority girl, Leonore is a tacky try-hard Staton Island chick, and Kier is a self-important bitchy fashion blogger.

I've enjoyed this sad little show for the silly escapism it provides, but the awful casting for this show is so laughable at this point that I just want DVF to tell all three of the last gals to fuck off and then move on with her fashionable lifestyle already, because the "brand ambassador" thing obviously ain't working for her.

• Love 5

Once more, with gusto.

Becca Tobin: brand ambassador.

The model (multitasking, missed her name): brand ambassador.

Brittany, Kier, Lenore, Amanda and every other immature twit they brought in for this mess: not brand ambassadors.

I just don't get the premise of this "competition" or this show.

• Love 4

Yes, doesn't seem like there's much DVF can do at this point except cut her losses and choose the least objectionable candidate (Lenore or Amanda) and make them a dressing room attendant at her least busy store. 

But it does seem like they were kind of set up to be late for the Hamptons house fitting, and the whole "let's have a big party and invite a bunch of people we don't know!" was obviously staged and scripted.  Really, they left the girls alone, unattended overnight in that big house with a pool?

I think the objective was to get a bunch of young people on a show on E, get them to fight and incite drama to get young people to watch, giving exposure to the line.  And they are all attractive and wore the clothes well.  Not sure if this would actually inspire young people to flock to DVF stores to buy her stuff... 

• Love 4

I'm going to watch this with the tweens and teens in my family. They just don't know what they don't know. Sink-or-swim "mentorship" is more preposterous than entertaining, especially the gratuitous, "ask questions" advice, delivered after drowning.

Girls, take a note. Polish has zero to do with mani pedi hairstyle sensibilities. It always takes herculean work to arrive at "effortless" and work folk are not your buddies. Expect everything to be doublespeak.

For example, "Let's make some new friends" means make a sale and a loyal customer. We are professional does not mean we are mission ready. It means we do not complain out loud or make any remark less than flattering. Ever. Quiet is cool. For the first few years it is critical.

And it absolutely does not matter who or how much work went on. Your boss will have the credit and you will have the, well, opportunity for feedback.

Once you have a lot of goodwill in the bank, you can shape the story to your own end. Jessica told Amanda they were waiting almost an hour, then told Diane they waited two hours. Does not matter. Cinch your belt and do the next right thing, or go home to mama.

Welcome to life in the big city.

• Love 8

I was watching this hot mess for the escapism too.  Now I just feel like DVF and her other grown-up employees need to let the lot of them go. Just go home already.

But seriously, who would leave these nutjobs ALONE in such a big, nice house with a pool on a Saturday night?

Apparently, DVF.   Kind of stoopid, IMHO.

• Love 2

The fakery of this show. I can suspend belief for the sake of fun escapism, but the producers of this show must think that no one familiar with New York actually watches. I listened to Jessica complain that she called them 2 hours ago(!) when they told her they had gotten lost and were now on the way. First of all, for them to have gotten to the Hamptons from Manhattan in 2 hours, they would have to have left the MOMENT SHE CALLED, let alone get dressed (this was their day off), go over to pick up all the gear to bring out there, and then get on the road. And by the way, if you're bringing in all these VIPs, why bring in a group of mostly inexperienced women to style them? Brittany was presumably the only one with any styling experience, but as she explained, she was also flying blind by not being given any information about who and what, etc.

That said, the ladies did fall down professionally by not staying in communication with Jessica on the way to the Hamptons, especially when they got lost and knew they would be delayed. But I guess that's why  we got that stupid throwaway line from Amanda:" I can't believe my phone died!", or some such silliness. Please. None of the other girls had Jessica's number? After all these weeks?

By the way, who took all the pictures of the frat party and put them on the DVF Instagram page? Certainly the girls wouldn't have done it, and the frat boys wouldn't have access to the page.

And may I just say, the person ultimately responsible for ruining the sample dress would be the woman that did it, not the DVF girls, although of course they'll be blamed. So fake.

Edited by TVForever
  • Love 2

I'm going to watch this with the tweens and teens in my family. They just don't know what they don't know. Sink-or-swim "mentorship" is more preposterous than entertaining, especially the gratuitous, "ask questions" advice, delivered after drowning.

Girls, take a note. Polish has zero to do with mani pedi hairstyle sensibilities. It always takes herculean work to arrive at "effortless" and work folk are not your buddies. Expect everything to be doublespeak.

For example, "Let's make some new friends" means make a sale and a loyal customer. We are professional does not mean we are mission ready. It means we do not complain out loud or make any remark less than flattering. Ever. Quiet is cool. For the first few years it is critical.

And it absolutely does not matter who or how much work went on. Your boss will have the credit and you will have the, well, opportunity for feedback.

Once you have a lot of goodwill in the bank, you can shape the story to your own end. Jessica told Amanda they were waiting almost an hour, then told Diane they waited two hours. Does not matter. Cinch your belt and do the next right thing, or go home to mama.

Welcome to life in the big city.

Amen, and AMEN!

• Love 1

I suppose it's a chicken or the egg thing, but I think the inherent problem with this show is that none of these nitwits reflect the "DVF Girl". Very few girls in their early/mid 20s are "effortless," and I bet the ones who are aren't bickering on an E! Reality show. Girls that age who can afford to drop $1000 on a dress aren't spending it on DVF. I think DVF draws an older (not old, but older than these fetuses), more seasoned clientele, and I'm guessing they knew that and are trying to skew younger, hence the show. The wrap dresses are popular because they're figure-flattering, and beloved by women who appreciate (or need) that, not women who look fabulous in whatever junior trend shit is being peddled at the moment. I think it's telling how out of place these girls look when they're actually wearing DVF.

Kier and Brittany in particular are the exact opposite of effortless. They seem to use an extraordinary amount of effort just existing without getting bitch slapped on a daily basis.

The difference between this crap and Fashion Fund, which also features DVF are night and day. But then again, that's a show based on a pre-existing and well known competition, and it's produced for Ovation, and not bottom-of-the-barrel E!

Edited by Shibori
  • Love 3

Plus, the more Jessica told the story, the more she exaggerated. When they arrived, she said that the Glee chick and the model had been kept waiting for an hour. Then it grew to two to three hours and many more women waiting than just the two. She is full of it. I hope Brittany does not get fired.

I think Brittany is going to get to fly back to NY with DVF in her helicopter.  But the other girls go ahead in the car and can speculate/gripe/cackle the whole way, thinking Brit is toast.  We see the upcoming clip of her "conferring" with DVF in a garden, so obviously they have a heart-to-heart there in the Hamptons.  However, if a shopping bag is spotted in that garden, then she truly is dead meat.

I wouldn't hire any of these girls to pass out flyers in a parking lot.

And why the hell wouldn't they insist that all the samples the "clients" were wearing be taken off?  Lord knows the girls had plenty of older DVF stuff to lend them.  All it would take would be "DVF insists that all the samples be taken off and packed up."

Simpletons. 

• Love 2

Very few girls in their early/mid 20s are "effortless," and I bet the ones who are aren't bickering on an E! Reality show. Girls that age who can afford to drop $1000 on a dress aren't spending it on DVF. I think DVF draws an older (not old, but older than these fetuses), more seasoned clientele, and I'm guessing they knew that and are trying to skew younger, hence the show. The wrap dresses are popular because they're figure-flattering, and beloved by women who appreciate (or need) that, not women who look fabulous in whatever junior trend shit is being peddled at the moment. I think it's telling how out of place these girls look when they're actually wearing DVF.

I totally agree with all of this! I have, in general, not really gotten why designers think that "fashion" should be geared to people in their early twenties. Newsflash: not much of that age group has the disposable income to overpay for your clothes. And they definitely aren't the ones keeping your business afloat. I can see why DVF wants to start appealing to younger people though (lest her brand fade out as her clientele ages). But dressing up a bunch of dumb girls on tv in wrap dresses isn't gonna be the ticket to that. 

I like wrap dresses, and I think they could look totally fine on a 23 year old that knew how to act, but the idiots on this show look stupid in them because they act like children, not women. Which contributes to them looking like they're playing dress-up when they wear them. I feel like Kier looks especially strange. She just seems like one of those girls that thinks if she puts on expensive clothes and plasters a haughty look on her face, people will read that as "sophisticated." And the dark lipstick actually does have to go. I hate looking at her face when she wears it.

I would never want the misfortune of working with any of these girls. I guess I could handle Lenore for like 15 minutes (no longer) because she might make me laugh. 

Edited by wovenloaf
  • Love 1

The whole "you have to be in the Hamptons immediately" was such a reality show setup. DVF is used to dressing clients for events like this. There is no way that they would wait until two hours before the event to tell a bunch of scrubs to run to the office to pick everything up and then sit in traffic so that they would arrive two minutes before the first client (although if DVF is the kind of company that would do that in real life, ugh).

I have liked Jessica since the beginning but it was clear that this was all done for drama and the cameras. Would Jessica really sit back and not do a single thing to help any of the clients when they were that slammed? Nope.

In the girls' defense, they were told to pick up the garment bags and racks so the fact that they didn't have enough racks or DVF hangers was not their fault. It was also not their fault that they were only given enough time to arrive by the skin of their teeth. Traffic can suck and they can't control that. There was also no reason why the clothes, racks, and hangers couldn't have gone out to the house with Jessica. And hell, the company could have hired a car service to drive the girls out there to make sure they didn't get lost.

I wasn't sure whose side to be on in the Kier vs. Amanda argument. On the one hand, yes, it IS understood that if you're sitting in the front seat, you are the navigator. On the other hand, sometimes GPS gives you completely wrong or confusing directions and that is not the navigator's fault. Again, this could have been avoided if DVF had coughed up the money to get a driver for them.

When Jessica was bitching about Amanda not picking up, I thought well then call one of the THREE other people in the car with her! I don't know why it took her twenty minutes to figure that out. Oh, wait, I do know - it was all fake!

The other thing that struck me as really fake was Jessica being so awkward with Becca and Jess while they were waiting for the clothes to arrive. I find it difficult to believe that someone in her position would not know how to be gracious and schmooze and chat with a few people while waiting for the girls to get there.

So to be honest, Jessica slid way down in my estimation during the first half of this episode. But she shot right back up when she talked to the girls after the clients left. Watching her bat down Brittany's ridiculous statements and excuses was giving me life. Jessica was correct - Brittany wasn't "going out of her way" to help the clients. When you're a stylist, your job is to style them. What did Brittany think she did that could be described as going out of her way? Did she drive four hours to get the last pink scarf in the entire western hemisphere? Nope, she didn't even leave the house they were in.

I absolutely LOVED that Jessica told them that if the end result sucks, it doesn't matter how long or how hard you worked on it. Too many people on reality tv think that saying, "But I worked soooooooo hard!" excuses the crappy results. And I loved that Jessica did not let Brittany get away with her bitchy scoffing. Brittany is SO unprofessional. If this is how she acts at her regular job, I don't know how she is still employed. When she said in her talking head, "I'm not supposed to be a stylist. I AM a stylist!" all I could think was well, that doesn't mean you're good at being a stylist. There are plenty of people in this world who are terrible at their professions.

I normally don't like Stefani but I liked that she pointed out to Brittany that the DVF team is the constant and the new girls are the variable. I'm glad that she and Jessica told her that if she did something like that after being hired, she would be sent straight to HR and fired.

So Kier was smart enough to say they would serve only wine and champagne at the party and then she was the one who broke out the tequila. When Amanda said that Kier said she didn't like any of those boys, I thought she missed the point. Kier is the kind of girl who wants attention from boys, whether she likes them or not.

Damn, that was a fancy helicoptor that Diane and Grace took. I loved that Diane was taking pictures while they were flying over New York.

Once again, in the girls' defense, I don't think any of those pictures were posted on the official DVF instagram account. It sounds like the guests were taking pictures and using the #DVF hashtag. And it is not the girls' fault that one of the clients jumped in the pool while wearing a sample dress. Even if they hadn't thrown that party, the client could have gone to a different party and jumped in the pool. I don't know why the girls just left the dress hanging instead of rinsing it out to try to get the chlorine out.

I was cracking up at the shots that were supposed to make the house look messy after the party. A bag of chips! A pizza box! I have seen messy places and that wasn't even close.

On a shallow note, I loved that most of the girls were still in their pajamas with no makeup on and their hair in messy ponytails when Diane showed up at the house. Heh, I love that Diane had Kier's number - she blames others and has a persecution complex. When Kier kept insisting (to both Diane and later her boyfriend) that Diane doesn't know who she really is and doesn't see the real her, I thought uh, she sees EXACTLY who you are. She just summed Kier up very clearly - she thinks everyone is out to get her and she blames other people for whatever happens. The fact that she kept repeating, "But it wasn't our fault," only underlined that.

I LOOOOOOOVE that when Kier said this was the hardest thing she's ever done, Diane told her that if this is the hardest thing she's ever done then she isn't ready for life. Ha! It's funny because it's true. Whenever people say a reality show is the hardest thing they've ever done, I think well, if this is the hardest thing you've ever done then you have lived a very charmed life.

I just wish Diane didn't have such a blind spot for Brittany. How is it that she can see Kier so clearly but she still think Brittany has any redeeming qualities? I can't believe that Stefani and Jessica bought any of Brittany's boo hoo excuses.

I agree that Brittany is going to get a heart to heart with Diane instead of being cut. Ugh. Just send her home already. She is so fake and two faced. So it's totally okay for her to be gleeful when Diane is telling Kier how it is, but heaven forbid that Kier, Amanda, and Lenore have the absolute nerve to look like they're having fun at a party instead of sobbing at the possibility that Brittany might get sent home.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Plus, the more Jessica told the story, the more she exaggerated. When they arrived, she said that the Glee chick and the model had been kept waiting for an hour. Then it grew to two to three hours and many more women waiting than just the two.

I was wondering how long it was going to take for her to get to "they kept the clients waiting 6-8 hours"!!!  Plus, I thought she looked so unkept and frazzled while she was "waiting" with the clients at the Hamptons house.  I did not think she represented DVF well in that particular setting, and I tend to like Jessica quite a bit.  She did look um, "effortless", that's for sure!

• Love 2

If Diane goes forward with naming any one of this sorry, tacky, terrible-judgment lot a global brand ambassador, she's officially batshit frigging crazy. She did, however, nail it with every single thing she said to Kier.

That idiot who jumped in the pool should be mortified, but I'd bet my next 10 paychecks that she's not and never will be. A bit long in the tooth to be acting like you're on spring break, dear.

Edited by WicketyWack
  • Love 3

I have liked Jessica since the beginning but it was clear that this was all done for drama and the cameras. Would Jessica really sit back and not do a single thing to help any of the clients when they were that slammed? Nope.

The other thing that struck me as really fake was Jessica being so awkward with Becca and Jess while they were waiting for the clothes to arrive. I find it difficult to believe that someone in her position would not know how to be gracious and schmooze and chat with a few people while waiting for the girls to get there.

I have worked as an extra on TV shows and films, reality shows among them. Yes it's a very common thing in reality shows to tell the extras or the non-principals, "when this happens, have a big reaction -- be shocked/ angry/ amused/ appalled." I'm quite sure the Glee actress and model were fully in on the "they're going to be late, be annoyed" setup and behaved according to the script, as did Jessica, whose forté clearly is not acting.

• Love 1