Type keyword(s) to search

House Of DVF - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg mentors 10 young talented women as they compete for the position of global brand ambassador in this reality series, which begins with the hopefuls taking on their first task at the 5th Annual DVF Awards at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.

A "Brand Ambassador" is just an attractive individual they can point social media at.  Somebody young & can spout the party line/company culture.  Basically a media filter to stand between DVF & her staff and the unwashed masses.

She won't have any real responsibility except to look good, speak semi-coherently and pass information back to the real decision makers.

I was amused at this first episode.  I'll give it another go next week. 

• Love 2
She won't have any real responsibility except to look good, speak semi-coherently and pass information back to the real decision makers.

She'll also have to have some common sense, class, and maturity. That may be too much to ask. A bunch of them seemed a bit clueless. I don't know if they were starstruck, or just immature. It was pretty surprising when the walked into the showroom and started trying everything on. Especially turban girl. Did they think they could take the scarves off when they were finished playing and leave them lying there, all wrinkled up? Use your brains, girls.

I wonder where they got these women from.

I'm already tired of the I'm the youngest, I'm from the hood, I have tattoos girl. I don't know anything about being a brand ambassador, but I imagine you have to look like the DVF woman and she doesn't look or act the part.

• Love 4

I was mainly amused and horrified by the Macy Gray-looking chick who got kicked off the show first because she was *such* a clueless, clown-makeup-wearing hot mess!!

Seriously, I wondered if they put her on the show strictly for trainwreck television purposes, because she looked/acted like a goddamned braindead hobo the entire time.

First she's checking texts on her phone during the intitial meeting with the head-honchos, then she's loudly yapping on her phone to her boyfriend while letting turban-girl hook her up in the middle of the DVF showroom, then she's literally stalking DVF at the fancy awards gala to try to talk to her, and THEN she actually passes out in the ladies restroom from "dehydration" and has to be removed from the event in a hospital gurney???

I mean, was she for real??!!!

• Love 5

I watched the show, and came away just embarrassed for the DVF brand.  The unprofessionalism of letting untrained 20-somethings loose in an event of that stature!  Ew.   DVF is not "mentoring" these girls.  DVF is using reality show programming as a 1 hour commercial for their brand.  The girls are being thrown under the bus as we speak.  Poor things. 

Edited by CloverTracey
  • Love 5

To be fair, getting sick and nearly passing out is not something we can generally control. I figure, at least she had the thought to remove herself to the restroom instead of playing it out in the middle of the party. As far as I could tell, the real drama came from all the anxious folks flocking and squawking around her like chickens with their heads cut off. If not for all of that carrying on, she could have been attended to very quietly with little disruption. Instead, they all carried on as if she had been shot. Can't blame the poor girl for that.

That said, she did plenty to get herself sent home. I actually liked her quirky style, and there are plenty of fashion brands where I could see her, but not DVF. Neither her style nor manners fit here.

I'll give the show a few more episodes at least. I'm disappointed that it looks like it's going to be just another catty "reality" contest, but I'm a fashion industry fan, so I hope to get enough of the good stuff mixed in with the foolishness to make it worth my while.

• Love 4

Agree, TVForever....

Somebody like Betsey Johnson could want a rep with a more casual and spirited personal style, but I just don't see DVF as that brand.  But I guess making her lines appeal to a much younger clientele is part of the reason for this show.  

To me, it's actually kind of brilliant to see a mature and established fashion house dive into a reality-based competition like this.  Only a really major scandal could damage the brand, so barring that, some girl-fueled reality drama is only going to garner media attention.  

Sorry, Leighdear, I must disagree.  How about media attention for ..... decent designs? decent fashion offerings?  THE PRODUCT.  This show is just flash....flash without substance will just disappear.  Just finished DVF book "The Woman I Wanted To Be."  In fact, her fashion house has gone through many ups and downs, experienced significant failures and re-inventions,  the most recent reorganization just in the last year or so.  Given what I saw from the TV show (trash....) , she should focus on fashion product first, proving her bones, then go for attention-getting devices like this show....

• Love 2

Makes sense, Clover.   I had no idea she had so much turmoil with her brand over the years.  I've never worn DVF, so I only know what's waaaaay in the past. 

So this show is basically a "Hail Mary" play for her.  Maybe to gain relevance in today's fashion market?  Because while you can build an empire on a wrap dress, you obviously can't rest on that these days.  That's sad, not brilliant.  I'll definitely watch the show with more informed eyes now.

I haven't read the book, but now I want to! 

• Love 2

I have just seen this episode and wish it were less of the catty/mean girls scene, but still enjoyed the show. When she told that girl she would need to polish her accent, I thought, she needs to tell the Macy Gray girl that too. When they first mentioned her background, I expected someone with a lovely accent, not this chick who sounds like she grew up in the projects. I could have sworn they said she came to the U.S. from Haiti to pursue her fashion dreams. Most of those girls need a lot of polishing.

• Love 2

I think the Haitian one was the big haired girl who was tying everyone's turbans.

anyway, like tvforever, I was hoping for more "inside the industry" than "bad girls club does fashion." color me bummed. Oh well, at least the new season of Fashion Fund is on now.

Thanks for the heads up about the new season of Fashion Fund! I'm setting my DVR for it now. Frankly, I think House of DVF would have been great as that kind of show- that "fly on the wall" type of documentary, perhaps following the whole group of young women as they are brought into the DVF fold and TRAINED to be a GROUP of brand ambassadors, not this "catty, cutthroat, send a girl home every week" nonsense. Let us watch and learn as the newbies become fashion industry and DVF insiders. That's the show I would have loved. But I guess the producers forgot to call me when they were coming up with the concept, lol!

• Love 3

DVR came across as unpleasant in this, and that's probably not what she wants. It seemed like she was judging the girls based on them ratting each other out and that hardly seems professional. I also didn't like her immediately telling the girl from Jersey she had to get rid of her accent-Diane has an accent herself. It's like she claims to want a diverse group but not really.

The tasks at the awards ceremony didn't seem equal either.

• Love 3

I'm in. I loved every tacky minute. I've lost my heart to Lenore from Staten Island, she's adorable. and in a departure from reality show formula, the crazy divisive trainwreck girl gets axed first! And bitch face model girl gets axed second! I laughed my head off when she was just standing there at the buffet table looking like a three year old facing a plate of broccoli. hahahahahaha! I am definitely sticking around for more of this!

• Love 5

Diane looks at these girls like she's been there, done that, and can see right through them. I can't tell if she is incredibly insightful, or if she's just relying on all of her minion's observations. Diane seems like a relatively warm and genuine person, but then I question that when, after a single meeting with the girls, she professes to love them all. Then again, fashion people do tend to express themselves in superlatives, don't they.

Oh, thank god. Can't say that I'm surprised that the woman who showed up in a mismatched sweater, tulle skirt, orthopedic shoes, and quite possibly the fugliest pair of glasses in the history of mankind was deemed too much of an eyesore to represent a fashion house. Frankly her hideous eyebrows alone should have sent her home.

Where did they find these people?!? I'd love to understand the selection process, because Cody the weepy simpleton fashion disaster, Lenore the Fran Drescher clone and Tiffany the uncouth biker chick wouldn't be suited to represent DvF if they were literally the last three people on earth and appear to have been cast simply for horrific cannon fodder. No wonder Kier rolls her eyes constantly. The competition is so mismatched it isn't even entertaining.

• Love 5

Did bad eyebrows chick really say they are there to be christ like? Seriously? I guess she hasn't gotten the memo that not everybody believes the same way.

I agree, those eyebrows and can I add her hair should have been enough to send her home the first day.

A couple of these girls look familiar. The token naive girl Lenore and the token bitch Kier both look familiar to me.

Kier is a snot, but she has some understanding of fashion and style. I suspect she'll be around for most of the season. She's the only one who knew how to put together a mood board. I'm not against people getting plastic surgery, but Keir needs to get those beach balls removed from her chest. There's too much of a gap between them.

Anyway . . .

How do none of those women know how to put together a mood board, especially if they're trying to break into the fashion industry? That doesn't make sense. I don't work in the industry and I could have put together a Cote d'Azur mood board. And I've never been to the French Riviera!

Do any of these women have basic understanding of fashion? I look at them and their styles and don't see "DVF woman" in any of them.

I'm fine with Codi going home because she wasn't into the competition and she obviously wasn't having the cattiness between some of the women. Hopefully, she'll do well as a photographer. I definitely question her sense of style for reasons already mentioned here. She needs to dye her brows too.

I like DVF so that's why I'll continue to watch.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

The editing on this show needs work. There are huge gaps in the "story" of this competition. How did they choose these women? Where did they find them? What does this competition involve? What are the tasks, Will there be challenges each week, with a winner and a loser? Will there be any mentoring? Will we be subjected to the shot of DVF's bare legs going up and down stairs every week? Will there be makeovers? Why would they choose so many women who are clearly not prepared for the role?

In the last episode, these women had just met.  Now they are apparently living in the same building, and several have gone through the insta-bonding that happens in these types of situations and are now BFFs. When did this happen? 

The situation with the mood boards was confusing. I don't recall hearing a deadline for completing the project. Was one given? Did DVF just decide she wanted to see them early? And why did she say the meeting was in an hour when clearly it longer than that, given that some of the girls actually had time to work on the boards.  An hour is enough time to go home, get your board, get back to the office, and that's about it.

And why - in the age of the internet - are these women so clueless? I cannot fathom why, when faced with this sort of challenge, they wouldn't just go home and google "mood board" and "Cote d'Azur" What was the point of  (1) calling your boyfriend, (2) wandering a market for an entire day, or (3) asking random European guys on the street about the south of France. Why not just go home and make the damn mood board?  I could not believe tattoo girl called her boyfriend. Seriously? If I heard about that, I would kick her out of the program immediately. Not just because she clearly has no problem solving skills, but because she had someone else do her work for her. She clearly is not prepared to take on a high profile position that requires independence, sophistication, and the ability to think on your feet. But of course, they will keep around, in the role of the young innocent.

Kier is a caricature. She reminds me of a character in a certain movie, but I can't remember which one. I wish I could put my finger on it. Some tall blonde who was somebody's bitchy sister or bitchy fiance. Maybe the bitchy blonde who was dumped by the hero so he could get with Bridget Jones or whoever.  Its going to drive me crazy until I figure it out.

Kier is also Stefanie (with an 'F') version 2.0. They are two peas in a bitchy little pod.

That moment of "warmth" between Stefani and Abigail was ...just weird. Stefani isn't convincing is the Mrs. Garrett role, and she outhg not try. Abigail and Kier should both have been reprimanded, and both should've been in the bottom three for not having enough sense to keep their beef to themselves, at least while on set.

I had heard of DVF before this show, but I didn't know much about her. What I'm learning about her through this show isn't entirely positive. It's not amusing or entertaining to watch her smooth, thinly veiled insults toward a bunch of girls who are clearly too unsophisticated to handle themselves, and too awed by her to defend themselves properly or respond in kind. It's such an unequal relationship, it's like watching a mean kid pull the wings off a fly. Watching DVF go back and forth between the "I love you girls" and the barbed comments about Lenore's style just makes her look like the queen of the mean girls.  Which I guess makes her three peas in a pod with Kier and Stefani.

• Love 6

Kier looks familiar to me too, but I think she just reminds me of Tea Leone.

That's who! I was trying to think of who Keir reminded me of and all I could think of is a mashup of Elizabeth Berkley and Jenny McCarthy.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

I could not believe tattoo girl called her boyfriend. Seriously? If I heard about that, I would kick her out of the program immediately. Not just because she clearly has no problem solving skills, but because she had someone else do her work for her. She clearly is not prepared to take on a high profile position that requires independence, sophistication, and the ability to think on your feet. But of course, they will keep around, in the role of the young innocent.

I could not believe tattoo girl called her boyfriend. Seriously? If I heard about that, I would kick her out of the program immediately. Not just because she clearly has no problem solving skills, but because she had someone else do her work for her. She clearly is not prepared to take on a high profile position that requires independence, sophistication, and the ability to think on your feet. But of course, they will keep around, in the role of the young innocent.

Kier is a caricature. She reminds me of a character in a certain movie, but I can't remember which one. I wish I could put my finger on it. Some tall blonde who was somebody's bitchy sister or bitchy fiance. Maybe the bitchy blonde who was dumped by the hero so he could get with Bridget Jones or whoever.  Its going to drive me crazy until I figure it out.

I think it's because she's pretty. DVF likes her just because she's pretty. Other than that, she's pretty useless.

Kier reminds me of Allie Wentworth in "Office Space." Or in anything else Allie Wentworth has done.

• Love 1

I was thinking Kier reminded me of Bridget Wilson-Sampras, who played the bitch fiancée of Matthew McConaughey in "The Wedding Planner", with JLo.  I will say her selfie with the sun hat casting patterned shade on her shoulders was kind of cool.

I'm thinking she had actually already been hired by DVF, and they decided to create a reality series around them "discovering" her. 

Agreed, these children have very few problem-solving skills and no experience with critical thinking. 

• Love 2

I was thinking Kier reminded me of Bridget Wilson-Sampras, who played the bitch fiancée of Matthew McConaughey in "The Wedding Planner", with JLo.  I will say her selfie with the sun hat casting patterned shade on her shoulders was kind of cool.

Agreed, these children have very few problem-solving skills and no experience with critical thinking. 

YES! That's exactly who she looks like. Ugh.

These women are the dumbest reality competition show contestants I've ever seen. I think the Hell's Kitchen contestants are smarter.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3

So this show is basically a "Hail Mary" play for her.  Maybe to gain relevance in today's fashion market?  Because while you can build an empire on a wrap dress, you obviously can't rest on that these days.  That's sad, not brilliant.  I'll definitely watch the show with more informed eyes now.

I haven't read the book, but now I want to! 

This is definitely not a Hail Mary. DVF is an icon and her status within the industry isn't fading. She's reinvented herself many times, which is why she's still going. 

That being said, I'm so disappointed in this show. It would have been great if these were actual internships/mentorships. I hate that they keep calling it "a program." It's a reality show competition.

• Love 2

I watched a tiny  bit of this and I think the biggest weakness of the show is that it followed the silly reality show competition trope of having the "all walks of life" cast.  I find it hard to believe that the industry doesn't have ten young women who aren't thirty and shameless enough to do this type of show.  Instead more than half of them seem to have all the fashion experience and sense of having watched two episodes of Sex and the City.   Instead of casting from the same pool as pretty much every VH1 reality show, they should have stuck to what they would have usually hired in the real world.  Ten candidates for such a position would look like ten slightly different versions of the same woman.  and in NYC that would include plenty of diversity in ethnicity and skin tone.  Yet they actually went out of their way to be "lazy.

and I had to wonder if the one lackey who is forced to interact with the cast the most stumbled and instead of saying only one can be the ambassador of DVF she told them only one can be the sole survivor, I mean America's Next Top Model, Top Chef.. dammit, The Bachelor, I mean oh I give up...Seriously it is funny watching them go to such efforts to pretend this isn't a contest.  Or a reality show.  Maybe until Downton Abbey and Mad Men return to Sunday nights, I should hate watch this and give my brain a rest (not that the other two shows are lofty brain trusts but compared to this...).

• Love 3

The show continues to be ludicrous and cringe worthy. How DVF thinks this show is good for their brand is beyond me. Once again, untrained and pretty much clueless girls are given a task they are poorly prepared to complete. No instruction is provided. Drama is contrived by enforcing an absurd deadline. From this fashion is made? From this participants get a helpful life experience? I don't think so. Would someone please suggest to the girls to lay off the sauce? On a show like this, you don't have personal time, and hitting the juice is unlikely to help you out. Every move you make is being judged either by viewers, potential employers, and/or your competitors. Final two cents: how come there's little effort on the show to highlight DVF designs? You'd think this is a tailor made (get the pun?) opportunity to showcase cool new DVF looks, but viewers aren't given the opportunity to learn more about the product. Instead, we get DVF herself dispensing pronunciation hints, pursing her lips, and issuing inscrutable pearls of wisdom lost on the contestants.

• Love 3

CloverTracey, I'm too lazy to check but is this another piece of shit courtesy of Ryan Seacrest?  Or did Cock-Eyed Andy Cohen sneak into E!land with his new production company? 

This show could have been different.  Still vapid and still tawdry in many ways, but it had at its finger tips all the glossy glitzy elements that make the perfect montage of glory that every chickflick has when the female lead finally "gets it" in terms of fashion.  Heck it could have seasonally re-created every tempting scene from The Devil Wears Prada.  Fashion shoots, runways, cocktail parties, travel and pretty clothes and accessories.  Heck that movie wrote the redemptive script this show could have followed so easily.  Drop the overall competition and just have four to six young women find their fashion shallow side in the glory that is DVF and all that

'lifestyle" brand can offer.  Show how hard work can actually achieve while tooting the DVF horn that it was built and continues to be built by strong women.  You are so right that if could have been an aspirational infomercial for DVF.  Raising the brand's profile and its image -- making it the young happening place to be and to buy for the audience that watched Fashion Police or even the Kardashians out of hate to see how horrible Kim dressed up the latest round of doing that weird thing where she poses for the cameras all the while looking like she is trying to blow a ghost or the invisible man.   It should have been more of a Real World thing than an America's Next Top Model knock off.

• Love 5

after a photo shoot turns into an all-out catfight.

So it's obvious this series is nothing more than a chance for DVF to promote her brand. In the course of doing so, she makes vague comments about empowering women and mentoring young women. Yet much of what we see are catfights and other childish behavior?

It's off my DVR.

• Love 1

I think that part of the problem is that Diane herself seems minimally invested in this process. I'm guessing it wasn't her idea, we know that she wasn't involved in selecting the contestants, and she perpetually has an exasperated look of 'why am I stuck here with these ten monkeys?' I honestly thought the 'I made a huge mistake' quote that was played repeatedly in the promos was going to be followed by 'I shouldn't have agreed to do this show and you're wasting my time'.

• Love 6

Maybe DeDe wasn't that invested in the set up of the show but she sure knew how to stir shit in her little one-on-one interviews on events she supposedly did not witness.  Ole De De has been around the reality show block enough times even if on the likes of the Project Runway franchises to have and idea who some things work and what causes  reality show "drama".  Something both the show and the princess seem intent on delivering despite the line readings from Sky Mall over priced framed inspirational posters.  Er, I mean DeDe's on the shelves now book (how convenient)

• Love 2

Did anyone else notice that one of the "random" Italian guys they found on the street was Francesco from The Singles Project on Bravo? The one Tabasum was mad at for some lame reason, and then that Erica was seeing until she dumped him for creepy dentist dude. 

Edited by wovenloaf

Did anyone else notice that one of the "random" Italian guys they found on the street was Francesco from The Singles Project on Bravo? The one Tabasum was mad at for some lame reason, and then that Erica was seeing until she dumped him for creepy dentist dude. 

YES!!! omg,,,Im so glad u caught that!!

This show is tiresome for the reasons mentioned above. I wanted to give Diane props for not keeping a contestant because she's "pretty". But none of them are completely unfortunate in the looks department. I'm in the fashion industry and I can't help but think this show is a joke. Unfortunately, one of these "brilliant" women will be offered a position at DVF. Yes, I'm jealous.

• Love 1

So it's obvious this series is nothing more than a chance for DVF to promote her brand. In the course of doing so, she makes vague comments about empowering women and mentoring young women.

Of course it's a chance for DVF to promote her brand. The woman is getting her face and company some publicity before the Christmas season while she's also promoting a new autobiography and more power to her. What designer (or any CEO) would turn down a PR coup like that?

Okay, granted, the choice of contestants is, at best, unfortunate to understate the obvious fact. They're clueless, unqualified as far as I can see and, frankly, not all that bright. DVF herself even says that maybe none of them will get the job so she's giving herself an out when they all fail and she's right to allow herself that caveat. Everything I've heard about DVF is that she's very good at running her company, good to her employees and generous. She's a tough woman, no-nonsense and a bit blunt and that's a good thing. She likely wouldn't be in her position if she weren't. And sure, she lucked out a few decades ago when her wrap dress became a major hit she could pin an entire company on. She saw what happened and ran with it; when the fad died she managed to keep the company alive--no easy feat.

Sure, the show is crap. The best thing I can say about it is that with any luck the vapid young women will have their eyes opened when they watch themselves. None of them did the stupid mood board with the exception of the arrogant blonde whose name I don't remember. No matter what job you're applying for, do the damn work assigned, you morons. Oh, and do it yourself, don't have your boyfriend, parents or babysitter do it for you.

• Love 4

Kier is so obviously in on the joke! she's playing it up big--"I thought she was coming over to APOLOGIZE to me". Gold, I tell you. She cannot be serious. Poor little Lenore. I love her. She's so naive, she is going to be torn to shreds. And really, why is Tattoo Girl there at all? She doesn't care about fashion, DVF, or anything so mainstream. Wonder what she actually auditioned for to end up on this?

Diane doen't give a rusty goddamn about any of them. She's cracking me up.

• Love 2

When they were all sitting around the table talking about the contestants, and somebody said "[whatever girl] sold her eggs to pay to come here," then somebody was like "I hope she didn't sell all of them." And Stefani's reply, essentially: "Uh no, we get more every month, duh. Didn't you go to sex ed."

Um. No, Stefani. That is not how that works at all...  *groan*

Edited by wovenloaf
  • Love 4

What I don't understand is how you can get your boyfriend to do most of your work for you and not be disqualified.

Also, does that dog live with them?  You'd think at least some of the girls would be ticked about that.

• Love 2

Kier needs to lay off the HD powder and Lenore needs to step away from the Macy's counter.

The fat faced one getting drunk at brunch?  Mature. 

The Angelina Jolie one getting her bf to spray paint a board?  Where was he when she needed her phone charged?  And the other contestant gave her good advice on presenting her board.  She ignores it  She also wasted over an hour and still didn't have anything else on the board.

I don't think any of them are really likeable (at least not to me).  I'm watching for the fashions and the skinny redhead.

• Love 3

I think that part of the problem is that Diane herself seems minimally invested in this process. I'm guessing it wasn't her idea, we know that she wasn't involved in selecting the contestants, and she perpetually has an exasperated look of 'why am I stuck here with these ten monkeys?' I honestly thought the 'I made a huge mistake' quote that was played repeatedly in the promos was going to be followed by 'I shouldn't have agreed to do this show and you're wasting my time'.

I think that's what's most striking to me. Obviously Diane has a new memoir to promote and yes, she's along for the reality show ride, but she seems "meh" on the whole thing.

What I don't understand is how you can get your boyfriend to do most of your work for you and not be disqualified.

That's what I wondered. I can't remember which gal was with her and the boyfriend, but why didn't she say something? She would have been perfectly correct in doing so, even if would have caused genuine drama.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1