Type keyword(s) to search

Hollyoaks - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yes! I'm glad to have a place to bitch about this show. There are so many infuriating characters (there could have been some complicated drama, say, with Diane struggling with the rape accusations against Finn but she went straight to being the lady who harasses rape victims, for example) but somehow I stick with it.

Maybe someone can explain something to me -- does Maxine show up in the opening credits at all? I've looked and no one in the credits look like her, is her bit from the super-stylized era like Mercedes and Cindy? Or maybe I don't recognize her without a panicked expression on her face.

That said, how do people on this board watch Hollyoaks? The legal US source is Hulu, which is three weeks behind, so I wonder if we have enough viewers on both sides of that gap (watching live vs on the Hulu delay) for it to be an issue on this board.

I started watching this show about a year ago on Hulu.  I was drawn into the show because of the Finn/John Paul storyline.   Was amazed there was a storyline about a student bullying/raping a teacher.  That's something you'll never see on US soaps.  Took far too long to get resolved.  Most of the characters drive me crazy because they're criminals.  And most always get away with their crimes.

• Love 1

It's better than General Hospital where the criminals just talk and talk and talk about killing each other but succeed about once a year. Here people actually die every once in a while, like Grace's dad and the informant guy he killed.

The Finn storyline took way too long. I kept yelling at the screen that there should be a big "Who killed Finn O'Connor?" storyline, he was so terrible to so many. Some of the other villains here stick around for too long too. I mean, why does anyone trust Sienna with anything now?

• Love 1

I didn't realize Emmett Scanlan was on The Fall. After In the Flesh, I'm curious to see how much he changes for that role.

Scanlan will be appearing in an episode of Constantine soon... and he was in the second season of In the Flesh looking totally unlike his Hollyoaks character.

Edited by Wax Lion
  • Love 1

I just was bummed that Finn wasnt called out for attacking Blessing--and that Diane, Tony and Sinead were not held accountable for deleting the tape and protecting her attacker... It wasnt all about Nancy and Jon Paul....

And now I feel like I am stuck watching characters I dont care about like Leela and Cameron, Jason and Holly--even Phoebe is now on my last nerves... I just want the next cycle of stories to start--or even just focus on the new characters.... 

• Love 1

It's better than General Hospital where the criminals just talk and talk and talk about killing each other but succeed about once a year. Here people actually die every once in a while, like Grace's dad and the informant guy he killed.

The problem for me is that there are too many deaths on Hollyoaks - it seems like a miracle anytime a character is able to get out of the village alive. And storylines are often dragged out waaaaay too long, to the point where it feels like torture to watch. There are a lot of things I like about the show and a lot of characters I like, but having the likes of Patrick and Sienna still free to wander the village and torture other characters and wreak havoc is just ridiculous, beyond my ability to suspend disbelief. I think the show has a real problem balancing melodrama and sensationalized storylines, and enjoyable entertainment. Sure, happy characters can be boring, but watching good characters be tortured without end just isn't any fun to watch.

Edited by atlanticslide
  • Love 1

And for me--I dont mind Sienna because at points I have found her to be sympathetic--like searching for the child taken away, being lied to about who the dad was, so when she does go off her rocker I at least liked and cared at some point.... Unlike characters like Finn or Patrick who I just watch being non-stop dicks and torturing people without any moments of kindness or self awareness which means they are just cardboard that make other people behave stupidly to ignore how over-the-top bad they are. And even sometimes the good reason/bad actions characters dont work for me--I felt bad for Cameron being set up until it was confirmed he ran down Sam and Danny then there was nothing he can do that will make me root for him...

I do think the pacing can be off but with such a large cast and swapping people on and off screen I can at least understand that. Plus they make the stories very layered so it doesnt feel like 6 years of Blessing wanting the surgery--but also about family rejection, dealing with the ghost of Leanne when it comes to Dennis, her cutting as well as the surgery... And they do that type of building alot-on an American show it would just be one of those and dragged out as long

• Love 1

I'm kind of pissed that Carmel's exit didn't involve her at least confronting Sonny one last time even if it would have been to save Phoebe... And honestly Myra can go back to where she came from for her lecture and crappy treatment of Mercedes--she was right and Teresa was to blame for a lot of Carmel's unhappiness so maybe stick up for your dead daughter and side with the live one versus your niece who is too stupid to live

• Love 2

Okay--I need someone who is a long term fan to explain to me something about this show... Is it common for a bunch of actors/characters to go at the same time? Because Carmel, Mercedes, Dennis, Blessing are all gone now with in the same like week period and I'm wondering if this is gona happen like twice a year with the mass cast exodus?

It's getting hard to be a fan

• Love 1

It's not uncommon, but usually when a bunch of characters leave at once it's all part of the same incident, like the fire at the Dog or the council flat explosion or the Silas murders. This might have just been coincidental timing, or several actors' contracts expiring at the same time or something.

That said, Hollyoaks does have a serious problem with killing characters off lately. It's become so common that character deaths lack any sort of emotional punch anymore, They barely even bother with funerals. Hollyoaks funerals used to be big events, with all of the characters attending, and nowadays we're lucky if we get a lame memorial service at the Dog. Or poor Carmel's funeral with a church literally half-full and the guests mostly extras.

• Love 1

The last time I watched was when the McQueens were just getting introduced after the Dog burnt. It was pretty together then but now I don't get how this mess beat Corrie for best soap.

The plotting either moves too quickly, repeats stories (like Mercedes, Grace and Freddie's schemes against each other which would all end in someone switching sides) or takes forever. They struggled to give Blessing a decent storyline (even though the actress tried to make it work) only to suddenly write her ous but she was way more interesting than watching Sinead or Diane yell at people. I guess writing her out was better than killing off Dennis. (I"m guessing the actor who played Dennis quit.)

Is there some weird fandom interaction to this show? Is like Sinead somehow ridiculously popular even though I find her unbearable? Can people not get enough of Sienna's schemes even though it makes little sense anyone would trust her long enough to do anything?

• Love 1

Just noticed a forum existed for this show.

I'm with you guys. The show is out of control on stunts, shocks, way too many damn babies and plot, plot, plot. There are no characters anymore. Just drawn out, despressing, craziness. I still find things to like here and there, but this show used to be so brilliant when I started watching clips during Justin and Becca's affair and baby Grace's death. The show needs to get rid of all the criminals and most of the characters saddled with children and center the show back on the college, with the SU Bar and halls being in major set rotation again.

Edited by Amello
  • Love 1

Glen Wallace (Malachy Fisher, one of my absolute favourites) has been on EastEnders in the recurring role of DS Cameron Bryant since late April.

Samantha Giles (Valerie Holden, Lauren Valentine's mother) and Katherine Dow Blyton (Sally Hunter, mother of Dan, Lee, Ellie and Lisa) are currently on Emmerdale. Samantha Giles, of course, being back in her most famous role as Bernice Blackstock.

God yes, the BABIES. Freaking babies everywhere. I know it's pretty much a staple of soap operas that just about every female character either gets pregnant or has a pregnancy scare as soon as she reaches childbearing age, but Hollyoaks has gone seriously overboard in recent years. Current babies on the canvas: Oscar, Matthew, Myra Pocahontas, Minnie, Rose, Hilton, Tony and Diane's twins, and now pregnant!Sinead and pregnant!Esther. It's like they literally don't know what else to do with some of the characters.

I think I may be done with this show for a while. I just don't like any of the characters or relationships on the show right now, and even ones I used to love, like Cindy and Nancy and Darren and all of the McQueens, are just boring or ridiculous at the moment. The Sienna/Dodger stuff is just so absurdly stupid. Is this the fourth or fifth time she's kidnapped someone now?

• Love 2

Back in the day, Kathy Beale was one of my favorites on EastEnders but I'm feeling mixed about Gillian Taylforth returning. I'm excited she's on a show I watch again but they never gave Sandy Roscoe anything to do but express shock and outrage upon learning about what her sons (and Fraser) have done lately. I hope they have actual stories in mind for her other than being clueless.

Okay--is there supposed to be something to the appeal of Freddie Roscoe? I just really hate his character and now he is dragging Lindsay into his BS.... It's almost making me go off the show.... Between this and give Ste HIV I just feel like the show doesn't know what it is doing with its writing...

And I cannot abide this Joe/Nancy idea.... I know Joe needs a love interest so why not try Maxine or Theresa? I just dont see the appeal

I don't see the appeal of Freddie either, but he isn't dragging Lindsey into anything. She knows he killed Fraser and doesn't give a damn. It's clear to me that she likes the danger of being with him, probably more than she actually loves him at all. She's an adventure junkie.

Joe is way too good for Theresa and Maxine has been completely ruined with this endless Patrick story. Nancy has always been one of my favourites, so I may be bias in saying that I wouldn't mind them exploring her with Joe. At the same time, I thought she had more chemistry with Robbie, which I don't think they are done with just yet.

First she goes on a campaign against a rape victim then she makes that comment about Ste probably giving people HIV because he's gay (not because he's an irresponsible loser). I'm starting to hate Diane more than all the stupid gangsters in town. Or shrieky Sinead.

The show is addicted to the hospital, but yesterday's reason for using the set was the most pathetic yet. 'The baby's swallowed a bit of the cheap ring you gave me....TO THE HOSPITAL, POST HASTE!......oops, it was in my purse the whole time. Doh.'

However much they use the same plots for Sienna, I don't care, because Anna Passey makes the show 100% better just by appearing. She's my favourite thing on HO by some distance. I loved her smirking at the fretting McQueen women.

When the Hollyoaks gig finishes, I hope she gets some other work. She'd be great in Emmerdale.

They actually managed to make Sinead's entitled ass even more annoying by putting Scott in her orbit.

I'm liking Harry, though, even if I wish the next disaster were an O'Connor armageddon. I wish Dylan's story didn't feel like it were being told in such a well-worn way.

I started watching this again on Hulu, but I'm in 2014 and FInn just went to jail for his rapes.  Sienna runs over her dad and frames Maxine.  Whenever I see Maxine, I always think, why can't we have Mitzeee instead.   The McQueens have just gotten rid of Sonny (I know, he comes back).  This show has more good-looking people than the other UK soaps I've watched.

OMG, Dodger has three women, Maxine, Theresa and his sister Sienna. (Oct. 17, 2014)

Edited by atomationage
(edited)

I've caught up on the show, and I've even seen tomorrow's already.   Warren Fox has been back, but hiding. 

Spoiler

Ste sees him and recognizes him, but people who've never met Warren don't believe him. 

Warren is engaged to Maxine to get revenge on Mitzeee.  Since Mitzeee has been mentioned a few times, I'm hoping for a return of Rachel Shenton.  Sienna knows who Warren is, and is trying to enlist him in a scheme to ruin Maxine.  

I was ready to dislike the Nightingales and the Lovedays, but I think they've done a good job of fitting them into the show, unlike the Roscoes, and I like both their stories. 

They've also (maybe) used Emmett Scanlan's voice in a promo about Starry

Edited by atomationage
added spoiler tags

Besides The Fall and In The Flesh, Emmett J. Scanlan was in a few episodes of that Atlantis series,  an episode of No Offence, which is a Paul Abbott (Shameless) show., and 3 episodes of Beowulf:  Return to the Sheildlands.  I never got past the first two episodes of that one.   

Wow, this is one dead forum. I'm only watching clips but wow is this Buster child abuse storyline incredible. They're all knocking it out of the park, especially the guy playing Brody. It could be very easy to chew the scenery but he's playing it like he's trying very hard not to go over the edge.