Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday TV Movies & (Non-Rankin Bass) Holiday Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/27/2021 at 2:51 PM, ctlady said:

I really want to be a fly on the wall in the writer's room as they wrack their brain trying to come up with the most cutesy and palatable fictional small town names.  As soon as I read Peppermint Hollow, I thought of Stars Hollow on Gilmore Girls (FYI, I'm from CT and from what I remember, Stars Hollow was based in Hartford County)

Anyhoo, this sounds gaggingly smarmy, even by Hallmark standards

Hallmark’s Writer’s Room 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

They joke, but I swear I've seen a movie where Santa Claus's son was looking for love.

There’s a Steven Guttenberg movie where he’s Santa’s son and falls in love with Crystal Bernard which had a sequel.  There’s a Cathy Ireland movie where she’s Santa’s daughter who falls in love with with John Dye which also had a sequel.  There’s a movie called Annie Claus where she leaves the North Pole to find true love.  Matthew Lawrence played a young Santa who finds love. There’s a lifetime movie where Lucas Bryant gets engaged and has to reveal his father is Santa.  Santa and Mrs. Claus were played by George Wendt and Shelly Long.

I don’t know if I should be proud or embarrassed I knew this information, lol.

Edited by Luckylyn
  • LOL 17
  • Love 3

UpTV is starting their Christmas movies on 11/5, with premieres on Saturdays and Sundays. I didn’t delve into whether it will be movies 24/7 or if they will have regular shows on during the day or only movies at night…

UP is actually showing my all-time favorite holiday movie:  A CHRISTMAS MOVIE CHRISTMAS about a Christmas Movie devotee and her cynical sister who end up in a dream sequence of actually LIVING in a Christmas movie.  No holiday movie cliche is overlooked:  in one sequence, they are walking down the street and getting annoyed by all the handsome men carrying stacks of presents who keep bumping into them.  And they are visiting an aunt who is making a gingerbread house and every time you see her, she has created an elaborate scene like Fifth Avenue, a complete circus etc.  It would be fun to count them all!  (Or have a drinking game)

It will be on Halloween night, 9 pm EST; Nov. 21, 9 pm and Dec. 22, 5 pm.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

UP is actually showing my all-time favorite holiday movie:  A CHRISTMAS MOVIE CHRISTMAS about a Christmas Movie devotee and her cynical sister who end up in a dream sequence of actually LIVING in a Christmas movie.  No holiday movie cliche is overlooked:  in one sequence, they are walking down the street and getting annoyed by all the handsome men carrying stacks of presents who keep bumping into them.  And they are visiting an aunt who is making a gingerbread house and every time you see her, she has created an elaborate scene like Fifth Avenue, a complete circus etc.  It would be fun to count them all!  (Or have a drinking game)

It will be on Halloween night, 9 pm EST; Nov. 21, 9 pm and Dec. 22, 5 pm.

Now that sounds fun!!  I’ll find this one - thank you!

44 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

A CHRISTMAS MOVIE CHRISTMAS about a Christmas Movie devotee and her cynical sister who end up in a dream sequence of actually LIVING in a Christmas movie.

Sounds good so, naturally, I don't get UPTV.

9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I wanted to love that movie but it stuck too closely to the holiday movie tropes, in seriousness, and I felt the parody part ran out of steam.

I totally get that.

At the same time, during my second viewing I noticed other take-offs that I didn't see the first time!  

10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I wanted to love that movie but it stuck too closely to the holiday movie tropes, in seriousness, and I felt the parody part ran out of steam.

I felt the same. It some point it switched from skewering the genre to buying into the tropes. The ending just irritated me. Very disappointing because I really want to see that type of movie done well. 

Why do they keep going back to reunite with ex-boyfriends, ex-girlfriends and old flames?  They are exes for a reason!!  Nothing good can come of that!!!  My worst nightmare would be for me to come face to face with my ex!!  No sir, nuh-uh, no way Jose!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

Just wondering if this thread is NOT for Hallmark Christmas movies. So far, all posts regarding HM Christmas movies (past and current) are in the thread titled, "Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty etc, etc.,etc." That other thread does not mention holiday/Christmas movies from Hallmark.

Edited by luvthepros
1 hour ago, luvthepros said:

Just wondering if this thread is NOT for Hallmark Christmas movies. So far, all posts regarding HM Christmas movies (past and current) are in the thread titled, "Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty etc, etc.,etc." That other thread does not mention holiday/Christmas movies from Hallmark.

As far as I know, you can discuss any Christmas TV movie in this thread, whether it's Hallmark or not. It leads to a bit of an overlap, but some people watch Hallmark all year long and are used to discussing the channel's holiday movies in the network thread. That doesn't happen so much with the Lifetime movie thread, I guess because their holiday movies are so different from what they show the rest of the year (thrillers, stories ripped from the headlines, etc).  This thread is a good catch-all to discuss, recommend and compare different movies in the genre, wherever they air.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/25/2021 at 3:52 PM, Dejana said:

As far as I know, you can discuss any Christmas TV movie in this thread, whether it's Hallmark or not. It leads to a bit of an overlap, but some people watch Hallmark all year long and are used to discussing the channel's holiday movies in the network thread. That doesn't happen so much with the Lifetime movie thread, I guess because their holiday movies are so different from what they show the rest of the year (thrillers, stories ripped from the headlines, etc).  This thread is a good catch-all to discuss, recommend and compare different movies in the genre, wherever they air.

Thanks.

• Love 1

For anyone interested in GAC Family’s Christmas movies but doesn’t get the channel  (or who doesn’t want to support the channel) it looks like most (if not all) of them are going to available on Peacock. 

One more; RuPaul's The Bitch Who Stole Christmas on VH1.

The film will tell the story of a driven fashion journalist played by Krysta Rodriguez of Netflix’s Halston, as she heads to a Christmas-obsessed town at the behest of her editor (RuPaul) to find a spellbinding story. The fashion journalist will quickly get sucked into the town’s Winter Ball competition which features the talents of local, uber-competitive housewives and downright troublesome citizens hellbent on ruining the town’s holiday spirit forever....

Starring in this knockdown, drag-out, sure-fire holiday classic alongside Ru will be, Ginger Minj, Brooke Lynn Hytes, Peppermint, Jan, Latrice Royale, Jaymes Mansfield, Gottmik, Morgan McMichaels, Porkchop, Chad Michaels, Heidi N Closet, Kelly Mantle, Kimora Blac, Laganja Estranja, Manila Luzon, Mayhem Miller, Pandora Boxx, Raven, Rock M. Sakura, and Kylie Sonique Love. Along with these long-time and short-time favorites will be guest stars, Michelle Visage, Carson Kressley, Ross Matthews, Andy Ridings, singer Kim Petras, Charo, and Anna Maria Horsford.

Now this, I will probably watch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I thought the story was really good in Love Hard but it lost me near the end. I liked the actors but just couldn’t get past the lack of romantic chemistry. He looked like a teen compared to Nina Dobrev. I did like though that they didn’t go the predictable route of her ending up with the hot adventure lover guy. Also, the karaoke incident had me on stitches. 

• Love 2

I really liked "Love Hard" - such a nice relief from the sugary Christmas movies but still with a wee edge.  I kind of saw the "chemistry" at the end.  It is too bad that Hallmark can't do movies like this.  The Hot Guy looked like the same actor who played Hot Guy in "Never Have I Ever".  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Avabelle said:

He looked like a teen compared to Nina Dobrev

I think that hilarious since he’s actually 34 and 2 years older than Nina. Asian genes. 

37 minutes ago, Kemper said:

The Hot Guy looked like the same actor who played Hot Guy in "Never Have I Ever".  

Yea, it was. He's 30 playing a teen on Never Have I Ever lol.

Love Hard really was cute. The actor playing Josh really made it imo. And I  actually thought him and Nina had great chem.

• Love 7
On 11/7/2021 at 4:29 PM, Kemper said:

I kind of saw the "chemistry" at the end. 

It wasn't my favorite romcom but I did enjoy a lot about this movie.  I think the movie undermined any potential chemistry when they had the first kiss take place in front of his "kiss the girl" family.

So much cringe.  I hate public first kisses.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

That reminded me of one of my fave Christmas movies of all time, Snowglobe, which also stars Christina Milian. And now I need to google and see if it's streaming anywhere lol.

It’s on Disney+. 

Christina Millian is also good in Christmas Cupid on Hulu.
One of my favorites, 12 Dates of Christmas, is also on Hulu. Definitely up for a rewatch.
If anyone sees Recipe for a Perfect Christmas (it aired on Lifetime eons ago), please let me know. I switched DVRs so no longer have it

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Is 12 dates the one with Amy Smart and Mark Paul Goselaar? If so I too loved that one.

12 Dates of Christmas

There are so many with similar titles!  I loved this one too but I've only seen it once.  It never seems to come up on any channels I get and so far I haven't been able to get it on DVD.  Much as I love my PVR I miss the days when almost all movies and TV shows ended up on DVD!

16 hours ago, SusannahM said:

12 Dates of Christmas

There are so many with similar titles!  I loved this one too but I've only seen it once.  It never seems to come up on any channels I get and so far I haven't been able to get it on DVD.  Much as I love my PVR I miss the days when almost all movies and TV shows ended up on DVD!

It’s a Freeform movie. If you get that channel it’s airing the morning of December 14th. It’s also available on demand through Freeform, Disney+ or Amazon prime. Or you can buy a digital copy through Amazon. 

Edited by Guest

Just finished the new Home Alone on Disney+ and it wasn't that bad. Good twist on instead of burglar bad guys it being the parents misunderstanding.

Liked McAllister security being Kevin's business. 

13 hours ago, Artsda said:

Just finished the new Home Alone on Disney+ and it wasn't that bad. Good twist on instead of burglar bad guys it being the parents misunderstanding.

Liked McAllister security being Kevin's business. 

I'm only a few minutes in, but so far it seems horrendous.  Boring, badly paced, the kid is a jerk, and if he turns out to torture people for no good reason, I'm not going to think that's very clever.  Just a sign that he's a little psychopath.

• Love 1

I liked the Tatyana Ali Lifetime movie that had her as a photographer on a Christmas photography retreat. The banter between her and the other actor was good. Looking at the previews for some of the other upcoming Lifetime movies and some of them looked terrible. I made it 10 minutes through some chocolatier dad/daughter movie and the acting was so terrible I deleted it. 

On 11/17/2021 at 12:35 AM, twoods said:

I liked the Tatyana Ali Lifetime movie that had her as a photographer on a Christmas photography retreat.

I somehow missed that one and plan to watch it On Demand.

I found myself enjoying Mistletoe & Molly on UP.  The plot wasn't overly Christmasy.  It could have happened at any time of the year.  But it was one of those rare instances in these movies where I felt a legitimate longing/pull between the characters. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1

I made it 12 minutes into You Make it Feel Like Christmas until the male lead announced he is going to go to the city and bring the female lead back to her hometown where she apparently belongs. Nope. There are too many of these movies for me to sit through that crap. On to the Tatyana Ali movie. 

3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I found myself enjoying Mistletoe & Molly on UP.  The plot wasn't overly Chriatmasy.  It could have happened at any time of the year.  But it was one of those rare instances in these movies where I felt a legitimate longing/pull between the characters. 

Thanks for posting this. I have been paying attention to UP but will have to seek this one out. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

I made it 12 minutes into You Make it Feel Like Christmas until the male lead announced he is going to go to the city and bring the female lead back to her hometown where she apparently belongs. Nope. There are too many of these movies for me to sit through that crap.

I had a hard time getting into the movie but it does not end like you think it would.

Spoiler

They never leave the city. The dad ended up coming to visit her and they agree to make new traditions now that their mother isn't around.

Unfortunately, A Picture Perfect Christmas didn't do much for me either even though I liked the stars.  I wish I could have joined you all in the love but this one missed me.  Maybe it was my mood this weekend.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

I agree that the Picture Perfect movie wasn’t the best but it was more palatable than the recent Hallmark movies. My standards continue to lower.

Started watching the new Lifetime one with AnnaLynne McCord and I usually don’t like her but the ballet aspect is keeping me watching it.  It’s good background noise while I online shop. 

Edited by twoods
25 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I had a hard time getting into the movie but it does not end like you think it would.

The dad ended up coming to visit her in the city.

I had a feeling that would happen. I didn’t think they would have her abandon the very Christmasy, crafty party unless they went with the need to take care of a sick parent plot. There are so many Christmas movies I don’t have the patience for judgemental characters. I might have stuck with it if the rest of the plot was interesting but it seemed blah. 

I had the same problem with A Picture Perfect Christmas when he was appalled that she *gasp* liked black coffee and didn’t like breakfast. Although I liked Tatyana’s character and the secondary couple enough that I stuck with that one until he became less annoying. I just wish the plot had been more interesting. Maybe I’ll try and finish it later. 

37 minutes ago, twoods said:

I agree that the Picture Perfect movie wasn’t the best but it was more palatable than the recent Hallmark movies.

It's better than some Hallmark movies for me but not as good as other Hallmarks this year.  Lifetime has actually been laying an egg for me this year.  They used to have more variety in their plot details but so far they've been more limited.  I don't think I've liked any of theirs yet.  Maybe one. 

There are so many Christmas movies I don’t have the patience for judgemental characters. I might have stuck with it if the rest of the plot was interesting but it seemed blah. 

I get it.  I ended up fast forwarding to the end with that one which is what I'll do if I make it about 30 minutes into a movie before deciding to give up. 

Edited by Irlandesa
25 minutes ago, twoods said:

Started watching the new Lifetime one with AnnaLynne McCord and I usually don’t like her but the ballet aspect is keeping me watching it.  It’s good background noise while I online shop. 

That was Dancing Through Christmas. I did leave it on through the end, but ugh. First there was that awful bit where the cute blond woman mistakes the professional Black man for a minimum wage worker, and it's supposed to be the meet cute of the piece. 🤯
And the movie was advertised as being about the Dad and his daughter being caught dancing ballet and the video goes viral and the single dad becomes an internet sensation--but that lasted about 5 minutes into the movie, and then they never mentioned it again. 

Tonight I just watched a Hallmark movie, One Royal Holiday, with actors who have done Broadway--it was much better and even had a bit of singing and dancing, although that was a little awkwardly sandwiched into an otherwise non-musical movie. The actors managed to elevate some pretty schlocky stuff. 

I got 3 months of free cable with my Internet service when I moved, so I'm a bit like a kid in a candy store this year with regards to Christmas movies. I've watched at least 4 or 5 so far, and it's not even Thanksgiving yet, LOL.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Lifetime has actually been laying an egg for me this year.  They used to have more variety in their plot details but so far they've been more limited.  I don't think I've liked any of theirs yet.  Maybe one. 

Omgsh yes! This! I always looked forward to Lifetime movies but this year I haven't been interested in any of them so far and the ones I did see just didn't hit the spot for me. Hallmark started out hitting it out the gate but petered out after that and now I don't have anything much to look forward to on my list. I'll have to check out some UP movies. Otherwise, my movie list has been mostly faves of the past so far this year.

• Love 1

I wanted to like the baking one with the fruitcake company since the lead and her family are South Indian and I liked that she talked about being the only Indian at her school so her grandmother learned about Christmas to make her feel more comfortable because I could totally relate. I just wish there was more chemistry between the leads. There was some humor in there and those fruitcakes looked delicious, but the rest was meh.
I have seen the sister in another Christmas movie (the family tree one on Hallmark) this year and I am hoping she’s the lead in a movie next year because I like her fun energy. 

• Love 1

I'm to the point (already) that I only watch until the first hot chocolate is mentioned and if it hasn't captured my attention I turn it off.  SO much subpar writing and acting, same stories repeated ad nauseum.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1