Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday TV Movies & (Non-Rankin Bass) Holiday Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It's the 50th Anniversary of the Charlie Brown Christmas special.   50 years.   They thought it would be a flop.   Except one guy at the wrap party that everyone thought was drunk.    

ABC will have a special about the anniversary of the special.   

• Love 4

ABC Family finally put out its 25 Days of Christmas schedule.  I can't find a better version of the list just yet (with more space between the dates), but here it is on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/25DaysofChristmas/posts/10153703274389581:0

Did ABC Family just give up on making new Christmas movies, or am I missing a new Christmas movie on the list?  I see a couple of "premieres," but those don't look like movies along the lines of "Holidaze," or "Snowglobe," "The Mistle-Tones," etc.

I like that they're showing Love Actually, though it will be incredibly watered down and sanitized.

Edited by Sherry67

With ABC Family morphing into Freeform (ridiculous name) next year, maybe it's doing away with the feel-good, schmaltzy Christmas movies? Makes me wonder if Freeform will keep the 25 Days of Christmas, too.

You are absolutely correct -- Freeform is a ridiculous name!  We're not alone in thinking that, as I saw many people on Facebook saying the same thing when it was first announced.  It doesn't sound like the name of a channel.  It's not catchy.   It sounds like a brand of bra or something.  Also, there are way too many words and phrases with "free" in them, that I think this new name for the channel is just begging to be mangled, forgotten or mixed up with other "free" words:

Freeway

Freebie

Freeball

Freebase

Free Fallin'

Free Ride

Free Love

Freeway of Love

Free Wheelin'

And so, so, so many more.  Can you just imagine someone forgetting the stupid new name of the channel and saying "I'm going to check out the Freebase channel and see what's on for Christmas"?  Lol.

I suspect they will still do some sort of holiday event next year, but it may change from being called the 25 Days of Christmas to something else, and maybe it won't be a 25-day event. It definitely appears that, at least for now, they have given up on making new movies.

Noooooo, they must do the 25 days of Christmas, it's the only way I get my Rankin:Bass fix (where is that forum?  I can't find it).   Although regular ABC seems to be doing more this year.   I now have 2 lists of specials.   Must consolidate.

Noooooo, they must do the 25 days of Christmas, it's the only way I get my Rankin:Bass fix (where is that forum?  I can't find it).   Although regular ABC seems to be doing more this year.   I now have 2 lists of specials.   Must consolidate.

On page 4 of the very same Specials forum! Enjoy!

• Love 1

Thank you for the ABC family list- bummed there is no new movie, but happy that they will be showing two of my favorite movies- Christmas in Boston and Holiday in Handcuffs. Let the frantic DVRing begin.

• Love 1

Did anyone see the Halloween-themed movie You Cast a Spell on Me that aired on ION tv on Sunday? I just managed to DVR a repeat of it after my mom noticed it while flipping through channels and texted me that it seemed like something I normally watch. 

I watched it.  I like Ryan McPartlin so it was not horrible, but it was a little slow at time.  It lacked energy in my opinion

I finally watched the movie this morning.  It wasn't bad, but -- like so many of these made-for-TV-on-a-low-budget movies -- some scenes were good and other scenes were just blah, which affects the storytelling.  There weren't enough scenes of the two leads together to make me care if they got together or not, even though I knew they would.  I didn't sense a tremendous chemistry between them.   The witch that the warlock was originally supposed to marry never seemed like a threat at all -- not in any way, shape or form.  She was barely even a roadblock, and she was ready to just let go at the drop of a hat so he could pursue the other woman.  The whole thing with the Council at the end was silly.

ION movies (and I include the Christmas movies too) are always odd because they seem like a cross between Hallmark movies and Lifetime movies.  They have the predictable, safe outcomes of a Hallmark movie (and the lower budget too), but occasionally they will throw in a slightly suggestive joke or scene that implies the characters might actually lust after each other in a sexual way -- which is something that Hallmark shies away from, while Lifetime plays it up!

Edited by Sherry67

Tis the Season for Love was ok- leads were good but it was pretty predictable and at times, boring. I feel as is this exact storyline gets done at least once a year. Hoping Charming Christmas is better next week.

Tis the Season for Love was ok- leads were good but it was pretty predictable and at times, boring. I feel as is this exact storyline gets done at least once a year. Hoping Charming Christmas is better next week.

I haven't been able to watch it yet, but it's waiting for me on the DVR, along with a couple of other older Hallmark movies that I have never seen all the way through to the end (The Christmas Card and Christmas Magic).  It's amazing how many of these movies I have only seen bits and pieces of, and never finished.  I am trying to knock out a bunch of those this year, and finally finish them.  I finally watched A Boyfriend for Christmas all the way through yesterday.

Honestly, I don't mind storylines being repeated as long as all of the elements work well (writing, actors, chemistry, etc.).  In fact, all of Hallmark's stories seem to be versions of each other in some way.   That's part of what comes with the territory in Hallmark fare -- repeat stories, repeat actors, predictable outcomes, etc.   Where they sometimes lose me is if the writing is weaker in one of these familiar stories than it is in another one, OR if the actors have no chemistry.  The wrong actors in a movie can mess the whole thing up, but the right actors in another movie with almost the same story can make it work well.

From the comments I read on Facebook, I noticed that several people were hinting at the lead actor in 'Tis the Season for Love being gay, and they said that he and Sarah Lancaster had no chemistry because of it.  One person even said something to the effect of "he wasn't even acting heterosexual."  I have no idea what the actor's sexual preference is, but it always bothers me when a lead couple lacks chemistry.

I like Sarah Lancaster, but I like certain other Hallmark actresses a bit better.  I was actually kind of surprised that Hallmark didn't start out with their golden girl, Candace Cameron Bure, right out of the gate and get the Countdown to Christmas started with a bang.  Her movies are always popular, whether they are good or not so good. 

Next weekend there are 2 new Hallmark movies.  In addition to Charming Christmas -- which I really have my fingers crossed for, as I want that one to be good because I like the 2 lead actors so much -- we also have An Ice Sculpture Christmas.    And, the first new movie of UP's holiday season is next weekend too -- Christmas Trade (with Denise Richards, Tom Arnold and Billy Baldwin).  This is all happening faster than I can catch up with, so my DVR is going to be humming all week as I am in a constant pattern of recording, watching, deleting, recording, watching, deleting, etc.

My husband and I have a new game.  A half hour into a Hallmark movie we try to guess what the crisis will be at an hour and a half into the movie.  Last night, while watching Tis the Season for Love we both agreed that Beth would somehow be offered the part in the Mamet play, would go to NY and would then fly back to Kern to be reunited with the fire chief guy.  Yet, somehow despite the predicability, Hallmark holiday movies are my favorite things on tv.  It must be a character flaw.

• Love 2

Hopefully I am not offending anyone, but Sherry, you may be better off not finishing The Christmas Card. That was one where I liked the story in theory, but the acting was excruciating to watch. It was cringeworthy for me. 

I found this newest movie to be pretty cute.

• Love 1

Hopefully I am not offending anyone, but Sherry, you may be better off not finishing The Christmas Card. That was one where I liked the story in theory, but the acting was excruciating to watch. It was cringeworthy for me. 

I found this newest movie to be pretty cute.

You know, it's interesting that you say that about The Christmas Card.  In the past I started in on it a couple of different times, never making it all the way through, or even to the halfway point.  I thought it was because I was just preoccupied and couldn't concentrate, but the more I think about it I realize that it just didn't grab me.  Maybe it was the acting.  However, as I had read so, so, so many online comments indicating that it is a true fan favorite, I thought I should give it another try because I figured I just wasn't giving it a fair shot.  I thought I must have missed something important since so many people labeled it as a favorite, stating that it is the best Christmas movie Hallmark has made, etc.  But maybe I didn't really miss much of anything!  Lol.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

POLL:  What is your favorite made-for-tv movie, and why?

Mine is The Nine Lives of Christmas.  

1.  The female lead isn't conventionally beautiful.

2.  It has cats.

3.  No one is uber wealthy.

4.  The male lead is not just good looking, but is also a nice guy.

5.  Ed Asner is in it (He's my go-to holiday movie person).

6.  It has cats.

7.  The misunderstanding is a little too "convenient" but no movie is a Hallmark movie without it.

8.  The plot is different from most of the Hallmark movies.

9.  It has cats.

• Love 4

POLL:  What is your favorite made-for-tv movie, and why?

Mine is The Nine Lives of Christmas.  

1.  The female lead isn't conventionally beautiful.

2.  It has cats.

3.  No one is uber wealthy.

4.  The male lead is not just good looking, but is also a nice guy.

5.  Ed Asner is in it (He's my go-to holiday movie person).

6.  It has cats.

7.  The misunderstanding is a little too "convenient" but no movie is a Hallmark movie without it.

8.  The plot is different from most of the Hallmark movies.

9.  It has cats.

Ed Asner is in Nine Lives of Christmas?  I don't remember him in it at all.  Who does he play?  Is it some sort of small cameo appearance?

I can't pick just one favorite made-for-TV holiday movie.  There isn't one that I love above all others.   I have a lot of favorites, but on any given day one of them in the top 5 might be more appealing to me than another one in the top 5, depending on my mood.

My top 5 favorite Hallmark Christmas movies would probably be (in no specific order):

-- The Christmas Ornament (I like that this feels a bit more realistic -- no extravagant gestures or fantasy sequences -- and believable)

-- A Very Merry Mix-Up (I like the story -- as improbable as the scenario is -- and I think Alicia Witt is a better actress than some of the Hallmark actresses)

-- Let It Snow (Candace Cameron Bure and Jesse Hutch are cute together, and she is very charming in her newfound Christmas joy; I also like the lodge)

-- Snow Bride (Great chemistry between the leads)

-- The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (Henry Winkler is a gem;  Also, what female wouldn't want a "Morgan" in her life?)

Honorable mentions from Hallmark:

-- Mrs. Miracle (the first one; Doris Roberts was perfectly cast, and she was not only funny, but endearing and mischievous)

-- Nine Lives of Christmas (This might make it into my top 5 on certain days, depending on my mood; I laughed out loud a few times during this movie, and I liked all of the funny firemen too)

-- Angels & Ornaments (Because I had no preconceived notions about this movie and had not read a synopsis, the 'twist' in the movie actually surprised me, believe it or not; In hindsight I realize I probably should have known right away what to expect)

-- Farewell, Mr. Kringle (I love the Christmas-centric town, and how important Santa is to the townspeople)

-- Trading Christmas (I like stories of people swapping houses and finding true love)

-- Naughty or Nice (I like stories of magic gone awry)

-- A Bride for Christmas (Strong chemistry between the two leads; I would be shocked if they didn't hook up in real life)

-- Finding Christmas (Another "swapping houses" story; One of the couples has good chemistry)

-- Window Wonderland (Paul Campbell is naturally funny, I think)

-- The Christmas Shepherd (I like this story of the two people finding each other because of the dog)

-- A Christmas Wish (A touching story of people coming together to help someone down on her luck)

-- Hitched for the Holidays (A story that includes Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas and New Year's Eve)

-- November Christmas (Love Sam Elliott, John Corbett and Sarah Paulson)

But, really, there are so many that I like -- even moderately -- from the Hallmark collection, and very, very few that I flat out dislike, that the list could go on and on and the movies could jump around in the rankings on different days.

From Lifetime's Christmas collection, I like:

-- Christmas Angel (the one with Bruce Davison; A happy story, and yet a sad story too)

-- A Snow Globe Christmas (Alicia Witt is a gem)

-- Christmas in the City (Ashley Williams is a gem)

-- 12 Men of Christmas (It's one of those 'big city girl ends up in a small town' stories, but it works)

There are a lot of other Lifetime movies I like quite well, but are not really big standouts.

From ABC Family I like:

-- Snowglobe (The snowglobe people in the snowglobe town are hilarious)

-- The Mistle-Tones (I like the music, and Tori Spelling plays a mean girl quite well)

From ION I like:

-- 12 Wishes of Christmas (Another story of magic gone awry)

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

I recorded Tis the Season for Love over the weekend and finally watched it.  I enjoyed it.  

I watched a bit of Love's Christmas Journey, based on the Love Comes Softly series.  The movie was in two parts, four hours.  I don't remember it being this long, although it seemed like it cut to commercial every five minutes.

I also don't have one favorite movie but I do have a top seven I don't mind watching multiple times:

1. Nine Lives of Christmas

2. Recipe For a Perfect Christmas

3. Mrs Miracle (the first one)

4. Snow Bride

5. 12 Dates Of Christmas

6. Let It Snow

7. Naughty or Nice

There are a ton more that I really like, but those 5 stick out because the storylines are great, and the chemistry between the leads are terrific.

Edited by twoods

My favorites in no particular order:

1) The Christmas List

2) Borrowed Hearts

3) If You Believe

4) The Mistle-Tones

5) Let It Snow

6) Love at the Christmas Table

7) Good King Wenceslas

8) Recipe For a Perfect Christmas

• Love 1
Ed Asner is in Nine Lives of Christmas?  I don't remember him in it at all.  Who does he play?  Is it some sort of small cameo appearance?

You are correct Sherry67.  I don't know what's wrong with my memory.  It's one of the few movies he is NOT in.

• Love 1

Well, it's a Christmas miracle folks! I was going to complain (I mean, not really but still) that the only time Hallmark is not playing Christmas movies is the only time I have to actually watch them during the day while my youngest naps and my oldest is at school (four hour block for Home and Family? Really?). Well, I settle in to the kitchen for lunch ( the one room in my house without DVR and subsequently the one room I spend most of my time in) and discover my cable provider has gifted me with the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries Channel which plays Christmas movies all day! I consider this an early Christmas present!

• Love 2

I enjoy most of the movies on Hallmark and Hallmark Movies and Mysteries.  There aren't a lot that I don't enjoy, although I prefer the ones that were made in the last five years.  There are always a few that I always stop to watch even though I've seen them a ton of times (Matchmaker Santa, Snow Bride, Let it Snow, The Nine Lives of Christmas, Hats off to Christmas).  

As for the Lifetime movies, my favorites are Christmas in the City (although there is some stuff that makes me roll my eyes) and Home for Christmas.  

I enjoy most of the movies on Hallmark and Hallmark Movies and Mysteries.  There aren't a lot that I don't enjoy, although I prefer the ones that were made in the last five years.  There are always a few that I always stop to watch even though I've seen them a ton of times (Matchmaker Santa, Snow Bride, Let it Snow, The Nine Lives of Christmas, Hats off to Christmas).  

As for the Lifetime movies, my favorites are Christmas in the City (although there is some stuff that makes me roll my eyes) and Home for Christmas.  

Edited by Stacey1014

You know, it's interesting that you say that about The Christmas Card.  In the past I started in on it a couple of different times, never making it all the way through, or even to the halfway point.  I thought it was because I was just preoccupied and couldn't concentrate, but the more I think about it I realize that it just didn't grab me.  Maybe it was the acting.  However, as I had read so, so, so many online comments indicating that it is a true fan favorite, I thought I should give it another try because I figured I just wasn't giving it a fair shot.  I thought I must have missed something important since so many people labeled it as a favorite, stating that it is the best Christmas movie Hallmark has made, etc.  But maybe I didn't really miss much of anything!  Lol.

It was considered a favorite??? Wow. Maybe it's me that's off, lol. I truly did not think the acting was any good. Despite loving the cheese of all of these movies, I would have been embarrassed to be seen watching that movie, I thought it was so bad. Now you have to finish watching it just to chime in with your opinion. Heh.

I finally had a chance to watch "'Tis the Season for Love" all the way through.  You know, it wasn't one of my all time favorites from the Hallmark Christmas collection, and I don't know if it was the best new movie to start off the Countdown with, but it was fine.  It was cute, pleasant, happy, etc.  It delivered what I expect from a Hallmark movie in terms of general formula and plot developments.  Sarah Lancaster is reliably likeable and seemingly down to earth.  All of the supporting characters were jolly enough as well.  I think that some of these movies just 'work' better than others at the end of the day, although they all adhere to the same templates, and some of the movies are just kind of so-so.

A few different ways in which this movie deviated ever so slightly from how a typical Hallmark story would unfold were:

1.  Sarah Lancaster's character, Beth, had not become disenchanted with Christmas.  Normally the lead character in these movies would have lost his or her Christmas spirit and would have to get it back by the end of the movie.  Beth said all along that it was her favorite time of year, so she never needed to get that feeling back;

2.  Beth did not end up with the ex-boyfriend, which is what I suppose would have been expected at the onset of the story; and

3.  There was no real "villain" to speak of.  There was no one trying to thwart Beth's efforts to bond with her love interest, or to get a job (on either Broadway OR working with the kids).  Normally there would be someone trying to mess things up somehow.  Even the agent wasn't all bad, as he contacted Beth later to tell her she had the part she wanted.

I like all of the "small town" scenes in Hallmark movies -- these are towns that go all out with Christmas decor and holiday pageantry.  I like the fake snow on the streets and the charming townspeople too.

I guess the weakest part of the movie was the actual romance.  I don't think there was a lot of physical chemistry between the 2 leads.  He was likeable too, but I just didn't really sense that they would be an awesome couple other than for the reason that the writers wanted us to think they would be an awesome couple. 

Also, I'm not sure why we needed the whole business with the "key" or whatever that was that Santa gave Beth.  Was she initially having dreams of the future?  Or was she having dreams of the life she could have had in an alternate reality, and then ended up making those dreams come true when she realized she belonged with the guy?  Why did she need a "key"?  I guess I just didn't think that the fantasy element was that strong or that necessary.  It didn't enhance the story in any way and I think we could have done without it.

I would give this a very mild thumbs up -- only because it's not a flat out thumbs down.  It wasn't bad, nor was it great.  It was just so-so.

My favorites in no particular order:

1) The Christmas List

2) Borrowed Hearts

3) If You Believe

4) The Mistle-Tones

5) Let It Snow

6) Love at the Christmas Table

7) Good King Wenceslas

8) Recipe For a Perfect Christmas

I want to add to movies that I love to the list.

9) The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

10) A Season for Miracles

I'm so tired. Love At The Thanksgiving Day Parade was on late last night. I shouldn't have watched any of it. I was recording it and it was late.

And yet I did. Love that movie.

I liked that movie until the ridiculous proposal at the end. It seemed out of nowhere. My favorite thanksgiving movie is "The Thanksgiving House" because the theme was different than most Hallmark movies and I liked the chemistry between the leads. The obnoxious side characters (loud Boston boyfriend and equally annoying blogger) I could have done without.

I liked that movie until the ridiculous proposal at the end. It seemed out of nowhere.

Oh they always seem to come out of nowhere but for me, the chemistry and the story did a better job of establishing a connection than most of the movies. 

Heck, I love it even though she accepts the guy she doesn't love anymore's proposal even though that normally bugs the heck out of me.  It bugs me here too.  Just not enough for the movie to not be one of my faves. 

• Love 1

I guess I should have posted this in the Hallmark movie thread, but it's confusing because it's also about a Christmas movie.  So I am posting it here.  A girl named Kristen runs a site called The Hallmark Reviewer.  I'm not sure but the site might be fairly new, as there seem to be quite a few movies (from past years) that she has not reviewed.   In any case, she only gave 'Tis the Season for Love 1-1/2 stars (out of a possible 5).  But... in her latest review she gives tomorrow night's premiere, Ice Sculpture Christmas, a whopping 5 stars.  Her review is here (though you shouldn't read it if you don't want to know the plot before it airs) - http://www.hallmarkreviewer.com/ice-sculpture-christmas-2015/.

Just for the sake of comparison, she also gave Nine Lives of Christmas (from 2014) five stars, with which I would pretty much agree.  So that gives me hope for the new one tomorrow night.  However, I think the rating she gave 'Tis the Season for Love was a bit lower than what I would have rated it.

Edited by Sherry67

Ice Sculpture Christmas previews look terrible, so that rating gets me a little excited about it. I'm looking more forward to Charming Christmas because I like the two leads and they seem like they would have good chemistry together.

Saw Window Wonderland yesterday again, and I forgot how good it was. Paul Campbell really has a flair with comedic timing and he's a good actor. It may have to be added to the top 5 list.

• Love 2

Ice Sculpture Christmas previews look terrible, so that rating gets me a little excited about it. I'm looking more forward to Charming Christmas because I like the two leads and they seem like they would have good chemistry together.

Saw Window Wonderland yesterday again, and I forgot how good it was. Paul Campbell really has a flair with comedic timing and he's a good actor. It may have to be added to the top 5 list.

I gave Window Wonderland an honorable mention on my list of favorites above for that very reason = Paul Campbell.  He was really the star of that movie, I think, as he was in Surprised by Love earlier this year.  He is what makes me think that Once Upon a Holiday might be good.

And I totally agree about Charming Christmas, and thinking that Julie Benz and David Sutcliffe could be a good match.  The movie doesn't seem to just be about them, though.  I looks like there are other sub-stories in it.  But they seem like they would be a good onscreen couple to me.

I don't think that the title, Ice Sculpture Christmas, is good.  I think it's cumbersome and doesn't roll off the tongue.  They could have come up with something a little catchier -- Christmas On Ice or something like that.  However, that review also makes me hopeful that the actual story will be entertaining despite the silly title.

Also, the cast of the mysterious Christmas Land has finally been revealed!  I still tend to think that there may have been some last minute casting changes that delayed it from being filmed, but it is filming now (in Utah, I believe).  The stars are Luke Macfarlane (who was originally scheduled to be in the new Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Movie, The Magic Stocking, but was replaced by Victor Webster), Nikki DeLoach (who was just in that new ION movie, You Cast a Spell On Me, with Ryan McPartlin) and Maureen McCormick (good ol' Marcia Brady).  Who knows?  Maybe Luke had to drop out of The Magic Stocking, but promised to do another movie for Hallmark and Christmas Land was it.  Something held up the movie from being filmed, and something prevented Hallmark from announcing the cast of Christmas Land when postting the schedule of new movies.  So it is possible that the casting was not finalized until just recently.

In any case, Christmas Land is scheduled to be the very last new movie on the Hallmark Channel this year, set to air on Sunday, December 20th.  If it is miraculously finished and edited in the next few weeks, I would not be shocked if Hallmark movies it to Sat., 12/19, just to let Mariah Carey's movie, A Christmas Meoldy, close out the Countdown to Christmas on 12/20.

Maybe it IS me. That reviewer really did not like Love By the Book, and that was one of the ones I liked. Oh well.

Yes! I liked that one a lot, though the lead's baby voice was grating. Oh well, will see how much I like Ice Sculpture Christmas tonight.

I don't think that the title, Ice Sculpture Christmas, is good.  I think it's cumbersome and doesn't roll off the tongue.  They could have come up with something a little catchier -- Christmas On Ice or something like that.  However, that review also makes me hopeful that the actual story will be entertaining despite the silly title.

Snark Alert:  I think they're all largely forgettable. Or similar.  I can't even participate in my "favorite" Hallmark Christmas movies discussion because darned if I don't remember the names of so many of them.  The good news about Ice Sculpture Christmas is that whenever I hear the title in the future, I will immediately know its plot.  Tis The Season For Love?  Nope, I will have to Google.

Heck, I finally saw Tis The Season  tonight and even reading a description a year or two from now likely won't help me figure out what it's about because there's really not much to distinguish it beyond 'woman returns home to find love and discover that's where she's meant to be.'  I thought it was pretty boring and forgettable to me. 

Maybe it IS me. That reviewer really did not like Love By the Book, and that was one of the ones I liked. Oh well.

It is just one person's opinion. I liked Loved By the Book as well.  I also saw this reviewer say something to the effect of Autumn Reeser just being an 'okay' actress. That's her opinion whereas I usually think Autumn Reeser brings value to a project  so I get excited when I see her name in the credits.  I know I'm probably going to find at least her side of the story interesting to watch which is sometimes more than half the battle.  So YMMV and all that jazz.

Rachel Boston is another one of those actresses who I tend to really like in Hallmark movies so I didn't really care how "bad" the movie title was or how bland the commercials were, I looked forward to Ice Sculpture Christmas.  I thought it was a really well done movie.  Rachel was great.  Her co-star had a nice looseness and personality to him.  In addition, it co-starred Brenda Strong, who I think is fabulous and Paul McGillion, who I remember enjoying in Lifetime's Christmas Magic.  In fact, while the two leads had a nice rapport, I thought Frank and Gloria had the better chemistry. It's solidly in the "I'd watch again if it comes on while I'm watching TV" category.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

Snark Alert:  I think they're all largely forgettable. Or similar.  I can't even participate in my "favorite" Hallmark Christmas movies discussion because darned if I don't remember the names of so many of them.  The good news about Ice Sculpture Christmas is that whenever I hear the title in the future, I will immediately know its plot.  Tis The Season For Love?  Nope, I will have to Google.

Heck, I finally saw Tis The Season  tonight and even reading a description a year or two from now likely won't help me figure out what it's about because there's really not much to distinguish it beyond 'woman returns home to find love and discover that's where she's meant to be.'  I thought it was pretty boring and forgettable to me. 

It is just one person's opinion. I liked Loved By the Book as well.  I also saw this reviewer say something to the effect of Autumn Reeser just being an 'okay' actress. That's her opinion whereas I usually think Autumn Reeser brings value to a project  so I get excited when I see her name in the credits.  I know I'm probably going to find at least her side of the story interesting to watch which is sometimes more than half the battle.  So YMMV and all that jazz.

Rachel Boston is another one of those actresses who I tend to really like in Hallmark movies so I didn't really care how "bad" the movie title was or how bland the commercials were, I looked forward to Ice Sculpture Christmas.  I thought it was a really well done movie.  Rachel was great.  Her co-star had a nice looseness and personality to him.  In addition, it co-starred Brenda Strong, who I think is fabulous and Paul McGillion, who I remember enjoying in Lifetime's Christmas Magic.  In fact, while the two leads had a nice rapport, I thought Frank and Gloria had the better chemistry. It's solidly in the "I'd watch again if it comes on while I'm watching TV" category.

Was "Christmas Magic" on LIfetime at some point?  I have only seen it on the Hallmark Channel.  This year it is exclusive to the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel.

Paul McGillion was also in the exceptonal (for a Hallmark movie) All of My Heart, starring Brennan Elliott and Lacey Chabert.

Yes, of course a lot of the Hallmark movie titles are similar -- and many are goofy.  I know that!  They start out being filmed with working titles that are not as goofy, but Hallmark takes them and holiday-izes them to make it known they are Christmas movies airing during the Countdown to Christmas, or puts a "love" spin on them to fit into the Countdown to Valentine's Day.  Case in point -- Alicia Witt's new movie was originally called The Honesty Trip.  Then it was changed to The Truth About Christmas.  Then it became I'm Not Ready for Christmas (only because that's the name of one of Alicia's songs).   But some of them stand out or roll off the tongue a bit better than others, even in their goofiness.  Ice Sculpture Christmas is a bit clunky and doesn't flow.

For the record, I don't think A Christmas Detour (the Candace Cameron Bure movie) is a great title either.  It was better in its original incarnation, which was A Christmas to Remember.

Titles aside, about 95% of the comments I've been reading about Ice Sculpture Christmas are positive on Facebook -- and the Facebook crowds will readily complain about anything.  So I am taking this to mean that Kristen, The Hallmark Reviewer, was on to something when she gave this movie such a good review.  It seems like most people agree.

I didn't think that 'Tis the Season for Love was great by any means -- it was certainly not among my favorites of the Hallmark lot -- but I also didn't think it was horrible.  It delivered the same sort of formula I expect, but it just wasn't that interesting.  It wasn't offensive or flat out bad.  Just not suprisingly good either!  Lol.

I am going to agree with Kristen, the reviewer, on Love by the Book.  I didn't like it either.  I liked A Novel Romance much better.

Ice Sculpture Christmas was pretty good, but mostly why I liked it was the chemistry between the leads, and Frank and Gloria. The other chef was too much of a mustache twirling villian, but I did like that they didn't go the cliche route of his partner also liking him and being jealous. It was refreshing how supportive she was of his crush, and also tried to cover for him with his dad. It was better than Tis The Season For Love, and I would probably watch it again.

• Love 1

Was "Christmas Magic" on LIfetime at some point?  I have only seen it on the Hallmark Channel.  This year it is exclusive to the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel.

It was probably only on Hallmark.  I did enjoy him in Christmas Magic.  But for a moment, I was also thinking of Dear Santa which I thought he might have starred in (he didn't) but that movie was on Lifetime (not that it's relevant here.)

I am going to agree with Kristen, the reviewer, on Love by the Book.  I didn't like it either.  I liked A Novel Romance much better.

Darnit.  See what I mean?  This is too hard for me.  Now I have to look up these two movies to see which one I liked. 

Just looked--it was Love by the book.  Or, if Hallmark respected my poor memory, "The Bookstore Love Story."  I like Amy Acker but I don't think I felt warmly about A Novel Romance.

It was probably only on Hallmark.  I did enjoy him in Christmas Magic.  But for a moment, I was also thinking of Dear Santa which I thought he might have starred in (he didn't) but that movie was on Lifetime (not that it's relevant here.)

Darnit.  See what I mean?  This is too hard for me.  Now I have to look up these two movies to see which one I liked. 

Just looked--it was Love by the book.  Or, if Hallmark respected my poor memory, "The Bookstore Love Story."  I like Amy Acker but I don't think I felt warmly about A Novel Romance.

• Love 1

Hallmark played Love/Thanksgiving Day Parade this morning. This is one of my favorites. I always enjoy the chemistry between the leads. Another plus to this movie is Antonio Cupo. He's a hottie, but was also especially charming in this one.

Another one of my favorites is Love at the Christmas Table. They hardly play it on TV anymore, so last year I ended up buying the digital version off Amazon. Though the love story is a bit of a stretch, the chemistry between the leads is so powerful that it makes up for anything lacking in the story. My absolutely favorite scene was them under the Christmas table at the end. It's an incredibly moving moment and makes the movie IMHO.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1

I didn't care for A Novel Romance. If I remember correctly, I felt like they came up with too many silly obstacles to him revealing the truth and overdid her fear of ALL celebrities. I think I also didn't like the acting in it except for Amy Acker, but she wasn't enough.

Bookstore Love Story would have been helpful for sure. Because there was that other movie where the lead was a writer who wrote a book about the supposed perfect man and people thought it was her actual boyfriend. The titles would have worked for both movies.

I liked Ice Sculpture Christmas a lot. And not to be one of those people who are pushing for actors to really be together, but a couple of things make it seem like they are at least now good friends. Might help explain their chemistry... In the quick Home and Family thing after the movie David put his arm around Rachel and pulled her into him, which is more than what most of the couples usually do in their little ending. He also posted a picture of the two of them on twitter - similarly with his arm around her and leaning into each other and they are on some beach (was googling him to see what he has been in and saw the picture there). Just made me wonder...

Edited by VMepicgrl
  • Love 1

I could see them being a real life couple. That Home and Family blurb had them both looking so happy, and they both literally light up in the movie when they are together. Also, there was a lot more kissing and touching that goes on compared to other Hallmark movies. If they are together, so cute! If they are just friends, that's awesome too.

It's funny -- I realized last night that I forgot to comment on Autumn Reeser after Irlandesa mentioned her, so I was coming back here to do that very thing when I happened to noticed that Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade was on this morning, as Enero mentioned above.  LATTDP is one of the movies that I have seen bits and pieces of over the last 3 holiday seasons before this current one -- a scene here, a scene or two there -- but had never seen all the way through.   I had always heard good things about it, and many people say they love it.  I wanted to see the rest of it -- the scenes I had missed.

And I loved it too!  See, this is one of the big reasons why I appreciate that Hallmark does these mega-marathons for 2 months, with repeats and all, as they allow me to see things that I have somehow overlooked or not watched all the way through, and sometimes there are gems in the bunch!

Aside from LATTDP, I was going to say that I really like Autumn Reeser.  She has a sweetness about her that comes across onscreen, and I actually think she is pretty funny/sassy when she needs to be.  She has never done a bona fide "Christmas movie," as far as I know -- at least not one for Hallmark.  She must have her reasons for not doing one, as I'm sure she has been asked/offered.  The Thanksgiving movie is the closest she has come to Christmas.  She has also done a Halloween movie for Hallmark (last year) and two new wedding-themed movies for them in just this year alone.

Lori Loughlin says that Hallmark is very much like the old Hollywood studio systems in that -- if they like you -- they will put you under contract and keep you working a lot.   I guess that's what they have done with Lori, Candace, Lacey, Erin Krakow and probably Autumn too, as they all seem to appear in more Hallmark series and/or movies than anyone else.  Other actors they may use once a year or so, but I don't think they are necessarily contracted actors.  I think that Kellie Martin was probably under contract at one time.  Now, I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I watched Ice Sculpture Christmas this morning.  I definitely liked it much better than 'Tis the Season for Love, though I don't think I'd give it 5 stars at this point in time.  I'd probably give it a solid 4 stars, but that rating may grow the next time I watch it.  The 5-star ratings for me are few and far between in the grand scheme of things.  Rachel Boston is someone who was never really on my radar all that much -- she has done a couple of movies for Hallmark in the past, though she isn't as prominent and regular as many of the other actors.  Like Autumn Reeser, Rachel has a sweetness about her that really shines through.  She seems down to earth and relatable.  She just seems like a nice person.  I liked her character's relationship with her dad, and with her boss -- and her dad's relationship with her boss!   Lol.  I also liked that there were Christmas decorations everywhere -- even in the restaurant kitchen!

I saw Rachel and her co-star, David Alpay, on Home & Family on Friday.  While I didn't detect any actual romance between the two, I do think they hit it off quite well and are probably great friends.  They at least seem like they get along well in real life, which goes a long way.

I am hoping that Julie Benz and David Sutcliffe will deliver the goods and be a believable onscreen couple in Charming Christmas tonight!

I am also recording Christmas Trade (with Billy Baldwin, Denise Richards and Tom Arnold) on the UP channel tonight.

Edited by Sherry67

Another reviewer on a totally different website (not The Hallmark Reviewer) saw Charming Christmas, and has nothing but good things to say about it, which gives me hope -- http://mydevotionalthoughts.net/2015/11/charming-christmas-hallmark-movie-review.html.

However, in the interest of full disclosure, this specific reviewer gives everything a pretty positive review -- so it always comes across as though she likes everything and dislikes nothing.

I watched Charming Christmas. I thought it started off really good. I liked the chemistry between the leads right off and the storyline setup, but I don’t know. The movie kind of lost its charm, for lack of a better term, as it went on.

I didn’t get why Nick got so upset with Meredith. Yes, she was a business woman with a large focus on profits, but she wasn’t a horrible person and neither was the guy who was offering to buy the store. Nick abandoning Meredith and the store in disgust was IMO an over the top reaction to her desire to take the offer that was being made for the business.

The dancer changing her mind, on a dime, about moving back to New York was nearly an eye rolling moment as was Meredith’s sudden decision to give up her dream job because she wanted to build a family. Sigh. SMH.  Also, would her parents really be signing such a huge contract that bought out their business without a lawyer present? I know, I’m nitpicking, probably because the movie didn't IMHO live up to the potential that was shown in the first 30 minutes.

Though I did for the most part like all of the characters, I thought the movie was just okay.

Hitched For the Holidays is coming on next. This is one of my favorite holiday movies.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1

I agree Enero.  I actually watched on Sunday which I rarely do and I kind of regret it.

I feel like Julie Benz and David Sutcliffe were wasted.  I think I need some humor in my Hallmark movies. 

The dancer changing her mind was so fast.  And the single mother was so mean to the dancer. 

• Love 1

I finally had a chance to watch "'Tis the Season for Love" all the way through.  You know, it wasn't one of my all time favorites from the Hallmark Christmas collection, and I don't know if it was the best new movie to start off the Countdown with, but it was fine.  It was cute, pleasant, happy, etc.  It delivered what I expect from a Hallmark movie in terms of general formula and plot developments.  Sarah Lancaster is reliably likeable and seemingly down to earth.  All of the supporting characters were jolly enough as well.  I think that some of these movies just 'work' better than others at the end of the day, although they all adhere to the same templates, and some of the movies are just kind of so-so.

A few different ways in which this movie deviated ever so slightly from how a typical Hallmark story would unfold were:

1.  Sarah Lancaster's character, Beth, had not become disenchanted with Christmas.  Normally the lead character in these movies would have lost his or her Christmas spirit and would have to get it back by the end of the movie.  Beth said all along that it was her favorite time of year, so she never needed to get that feeling back;

2.  Beth did not end up with the ex-boyfriend, which is what I suppose would have been expected at the onset of the story; and

3.  There was no real "villain" to speak of.  There was no one trying to thwart Beth's efforts to bond with her love interest, or to get a job (on either Broadway OR working with the kids).  Normally there would be someone trying to mess things up somehow.  Even the agent wasn't all bad, as he contacted Beth later to tell her she had the part she wanted.

I like all of the "small town" scenes in Hallmark movies -- these are towns that go all out with Christmas decor and holiday pageantry.  I like the fake snow on the streets and the charming townspeople too.

I guess the weakest part of the movie was the actual romance.  I don't think there was a lot of physical chemistry between the 2 leads.  He was likeable too, but I just didn't really sense that they would be an awesome couple other than for the reason that the writers wanted us to think they would be an awesome couple. 

Also, I'm not sure why we needed the whole business with the "key" or whatever that was that Santa gave Beth.  Was she initially having dreams of the future?  Or was she having dreams of the life she could have had in an alternate reality, and then ended up making those dreams come true when she realized she belonged with the guy?  Why did she need a "key"?  I guess I just didn't think that the fantasy element was that strong or that necessary.  It didn't enhance the story in any way and I think we could have done without it.

I would give this a very mild thumbs up -- only because it's not a flat out thumbs down.  It wasn't bad, nor was it great.  It was just so-so.

I saw this over the weekend and I enjoyed it.  I like Sarah Lancaster from her SBTB days and the male lead was cute, much better looking than her ex.  Yes, I'm very shallow when watching movies.  I like my leads to be attractive.

How picture perfect was that town?  And the people - not a cranky person in sight.  Though I did find it hard to believe that her mom wouldn't have mentioned to Beth that her ex was remarried.  At least once Beth got into town, she should've given her a heads up.  Yeah, the chemistry wasn't off the charts between Beth and Dean, but I didn't get any gay vibes from the actor.    I think his character was just such a nice and proper guy that maybe that had something to do with it?   FWIW, I think he's married.

• Love 1