Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday TV Movies & (Non-Rankin Bass) Holiday Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

As far as I know -- and I could have missed something if it was not specific to Hallmark's channels -- Feliz NaviDAD for Lifetime (with Mario Lopez and Melissa Joan Hart) is the first 2020 Christmas movie to go into production since things started to open up again. 

Melissa's Lifetime Christmas movies usually do not film in Canada, so she was able to get this one going since she is filming in Nevada!  Canada's productions can begin in a few days, at the earliest, but their border is still closed -- meaning that any American casts and crews who film in Canada, but are not in Canada right now, would have to wait for the border to open before they return there to resume filming on their own series and movies.

Edited by TVFan17
48 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

Do they have a new movie to premiere like they have  in the last or did Covid prevent one from being made in time?

Do you mean a July premiere for Hallmark's Christmas in July event?  I have not seen or heard anything about Hallmark premiering any new Christmas movies in July this year (though that can always change at the last second).  They only have 2 official Hallmark holiday movies that are filmed at this point (one of them was supposed to air last year but never did), so I would assume they'd want to hang onto those until they can get into a groove with filming more new Christmas movies for this year.

However, they have already aired several acquired/not-made-for-Hallmark movies this year, between the Hallmark Channel and the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel.  So I don't know why they couldn't just acquire a Christmas movie or two from a random production company and air it in July. 

Hallmark usually shows a Christmas preview special in July, with clips from movies coming up during the holidays.  At the moment, with only two movies they can show clips from, I'm not sure they will try to do a preview special for July.

As for Lifetime, I think they were able to get a few movies filmed pre-COVID-19 lockdowns and the Mario Lopez movie filming now is for Lifetime, but, much like Hallmark is going to have to to do, Lifetime will probably have to make up for lost time and start cranking out the Christmas movies shoots very soon, just so they have some new content for the holiday season.   A channel such as UP or ION can get away with just airing anywhere from 5 - 10 movies, and no one will really notice too much if they don't have too many.  But Hallmark and Lifetime each want to premiere a LOT of new movies, and that requires time, scheduling, etc.  They each lost a lot of time and now have to  try to catch up as much as they can.

• Love 1

Well, one thing that seems evident to me (through following along with various movies in production for various networks or streaming services) is that Lifetime is making more progress on getting their Christmas movies filmed than Hallmark is.  They already had a few filmed even before quarantine, so they had a head start.

Neither Lifetime nor Hallmark has announced a total number of new holiday premieres for this year.  I think that neither one of them wants to commit to a number yet, as they're probably not sure how many movies they can feasibly get done.  Or maybe they're waiting on each other to make an announcement -- for example, if Hallmark announced 20 new Christmas movies this year, perhaps Lifetime would then announce that they were making 25, or vice versa.  But, so far, at this point, I think that Hallmark is not making as much progress on their Christmas movies.  Hallmark just wrapped up a movie in Utah, but they still have a long way to go.

4 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

Well, one thing that seems evident to me (through following along with various movies in production for various networks or streaming services) is that Lifetime is making more progress on getting their Christmas movies filmed than Hallmark is.  They already had a few filmed even before quarantine, so they had a head start.

Neither Lifetime nor Hallmark has announced a total number of new holiday premieres for this year.  I think that neither one of them wants to commit to a number yet, as they're probably not sure how many movies they can feasibly get done.  Or maybe they're waiting on each other to make an announcement -- for example, if Hallmark announced 20 new Christmas movies this year, perhaps Lifetime would then announce that they were making 25, or vice versa.  But, so far, at this point, I think that Hallmark is not making as much progress on their Christmas movies.  Hallmark just wrapped up a movie in Utah, but they still have a long way to go.

On the plus side, my DVR will be happy. Lol

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 7/6/2020 at 2:32 PM, EyewatchTV211 said:

According to Kimberley Sustad in an interview on the Bubbly Sesh podcast, a Nine Lives of Christmas sequel is in development.

That one was cute. I will def watch the sequel. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Melissa Joan Hart directed Feliz NaviDad with Mario Lopez and AnnaLynne McCord for Lifetime, and is starring in her own new Lifetime Christmas movie (with Jason Priestley and Robin Givens on board as well) called Dear Christmas (title is subject to change).

Edited by TVFan17
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 7/6/2020 at 3:32 PM, EyewatchTV211 said:

According to Kimberley Sustad in an interview on the Bubbly Sesh podcast, a Nine Lives of Christmas sequel is in development.

This makes me unbelievably happy.

• Love 4
(edited)

I just signed into Twitter to see this... Lifetime is not backing down either.  I knew they were making a lot of progress on filming their Christmas movies, but they had 30 new ones last year.  Now, however, they will have "over 30 new movies" this year -- inching ever closer to Hallmark's 40 new ones. 

I'm not sure there is enough tinsel, garland and fake snow to cover 70+ new Christmas movie productions from Lifetime and Hallmark, let alone any other networks' movies, with most of them being filmed within the same 2- or 3-month time frame, often in the same general locations.  They might have to share the random nutcracker statues, giant inflatable reindeer and snowman props.

Edited by TVFan17
  • LOL 1

Interesting that Christmas in Angel Falls (one of my favorites!) is showing on the Hallmark Channel tonight. It's always been on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries before. I don't remember them swapping movies from HM&M to the mothership very often in the past--but I'm happy they did.

(edited)
6 hours ago, kirinan said:

Interesting that Christmas in Angel Falls (one of my favorites!) is showing on the Hallmark Channel tonight. It's always been on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries before. I don't remember them swapping movies from HM&M to the mothership very often in the past--but I'm happy they did.

This seems to be a new thing they just started doing this month -- they're taking a handful of HMM Christmas movies and airing them on Hallmark.  

"HALLMARK MOVIES & MYSTERIES CHRISTMAS COMES TO THE HALLMARK CHANNEL - AS HALLMARK ADDS MORE MOVIES to CHRISTMAS in JULY through AUGUST!!!"

According to It's a Wonderful Movie, those HMM movies airing on HC are:

Christmas in Angel Falls

Christmas on My Mind

A Godwink Christmas: Meant for Love

A Bramble House Christmas

Holiday for Heroes

Sense, Sensibility & Snowmen

Once Upon a Christmas Miracle

I wonder if this is going to be a trend going forward, with more holiday content from HMM being shown on the main channel, 

Edited by TVFan17
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

This seems to be a new thing they just started doing this month -- they're taking a handful of HMM Christmas movies and airing them on Hallmark.  

"HALLMARK MOVIES & MYSTERIES CHRISTMAS COMES TO THE HALLMARK CHANNEL - AS HALLMARK ADDS MORE MOVIES to CHRISTMAS in JULY through AUGUST!!!"

According to It's a Wonderful Movie, those HMM movies airing on HC are:

Christmas in Angel Falls

Christmas on My Mind

A Godwink Christmas: Meant for Love

A Bramble House Christmas

Holiday for Heroes

Sense, Sensibility & Snowmen

Once Upon a Christmas Miracle

I wonder if this is going to be a trend going forward, with more holiday content from HMM being shown on the main channel, 

Yay, A Bramble House Christmas! That's another one of my favorites. I've always tended to check the listing guide on my TV for the Hallmark Channel, but TBH I forget to check HM&M because I'm not that much of a mystery fan. Now here's hoping they'll bring Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade over later this year, too (not that it matters, because I own the DVD, but I like to watch it in the moment, too). Thanks for the heads-up, TVFan17!

• Love 2

Thank you guys! I have wanted to see Bramble House Christmas but was bummed that it was on HMM since I don’t get it, and now it’s recorded since it’s on later this week. I wa wondering why I didn’t recognize some of the movies. Also, Nine Lives Of Christmas is airing tomorrow. 

Wow, I shouldn’t have clicked on the wonderful movie blog link. Those comments on that blog are filled with ridiculous comments. I just can’t with people.

Edited by twoods
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I found this yesterday -- Zak Santiago and Sara Canning are the stars of "The Christmas Yule Blog" for Lifetime.   These outfits cannot be blamed on Hallmark -- these are Lifetime outfits!  lol

And Keshia Knight Pulliam wrapped up her Lifetime Christmas movie this week...

So, again, Lifetime is getting a lot of their movies done in rapid succession!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2

"Lifetime Announces First Christmas Movie With LGBTQ Lead Romance"

Excerpt about A Christmas Set Up (or The Christmas Set Up, depending where you look):

The synopsis reads:

"Hugo, a New York corporate lawyer and his best friend Madelyn head to Milwaukee to spend the holidays with his mom Kate, who is also in charge of the local Christmas celebrations. Ever the matchmaker, Kate arranges for Hugo to run into Patrick, Hugo’s high school friend and secret crush, who has recently returned after a successful stint in Silicon Valley. As they enjoy the local holiday festivities together, Hugo and Patrick’s attraction to each other is undeniable and it looks as though Kate’s well-intentioned Santa-style matchmaking is a success. But as Hugo receives word of a big promotion requiring a move to London, he must decide what is most important to him."

Excerpt about A Sugar & Spice Holiday:

Additionally, Lifetime has ordered its first holiday movie centered on a Chinese-American family; A Sugar & Spice Holiday will be directed by Jennifer Liao and written by Eirene Donohue.

"Suzie, a rising young architect, returns to her small hometown in Maine for Christmas where, her Chinese American family runs the local Lobster Bar. Following the loss of her beloved grandmother who was a legendary baker in their community, Suzie is guilted into following in her grandmother’s footsteps by entering the local gingerbread house competition.  Teaming up with an old high school friend Billy, who grew up to be a catch, Suzie must find the right recipes and mix of sugar and spice to win the competition and perhaps find some love in the process."

They're in the process of casting both movies.

What happened to the "over 30" new movies they were talking about in the last week or two?  Maybe they will sneak an extra one in there at some point, but don't want to commit to more than 30 right now.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

"Lifetime Announces First Christmas Movie With LGBTQ Lead Romance"

Excerpt about A Christmas Set Up (or The Christmas Set Up, depending where you look):

Excerpt about A Sugar & Spice Holiday:

They're in the process of casting both movies.

What happened to the "over 30" new movies they were talking about in the last week or two?  Maybe they will sneak an extra one in there at some point, but don't want to commit to more than 30 right now.

I think I’m the most surprised by the Ali Stroker movie. I thought it would be years before we even saw a disabled side character in one of these movies. I just hope the movie is well done and that she sings. 

The network for this one is unknown, but here is the cast of Christmas Cuisine of Love AKA Christmas Cuisine, with director/writer/producer Jake Helgren.  Jake made last year's A Merry Christmas Match, which aired on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, and I think he had at least a couple of Christmas movies on Lifetime as well.

Jake Helgren is also responsible for Lifetime's new movie A Very Charming Christmas Town FKA Christmas in Solvang, with Natalie Hall, Kelley Jakle and many others.

With Hallmark starting their holiday movies even earlier, will we see them starting in September at some point?  While I love these movies and I know that it’s a huge ratings success, starting October 23 is really pushing it.

Can anyone explain how they got the term Bubbly Sesh?  Why couldn’t they come up with a name that lets people know what the show is all about.  Do they realize that the word Sesh, in the Urban Dictionary, means excessive drug use with a small group of friends?  In my grandmother’s language it means moldy.  

5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Melissa Joan Hart & Jason Priestley are doing a Christmas movie together on lifetime. I just saw it on Melissa’s insta-story. 

9297830B-8FAA-4A0E-AAE7-80E0BFB319D4.png

I posted photos from it here in this thread (see above) on July 22nd, but it seems to have wrapped a tad sooner than I thought it would.  I guess it had already begun production a couple of days before I posted, so they had already made some progress.  Or maybe the year is just zooming by at a faster pace than it seems like it should be mid-pandemic!  lol

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1
On 8/7/2020 at 8:08 AM, KLovestoShop said:

Can anyone explain how they got the term Bubbly Sesh?  Why couldn’t they come up with a name that lets people know what the show is all about.  Do they realize that the word Sesh, in the Urban Dictionary, means excessive drug use with a small group of friends?  In my grandmother’s language it means moldy.  

I imagine it means "Bubbly Session" either in the way of champagne/wine bubbly or bubbly talk session/podcast or both. So it's not too far from the UD definition, only the consumption of choice is the bubbly, ha. Like with Feeln, Hallmark took over an already established entity and scooped it under the Hallmark brand umbrella. They probably see it as it saves the trouble of starting a fanbase from scratch when you can grab the current subscriptions and keep adding to them.

Edited by MissyPoo
2 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

I posted photos from it here in this thread (see above) on July 22nd, but it seems to have wrapped a tad sooner than I thought it would.  I guess it had already begun production a couple of days before I posted, so they had already made some progress.  Or maybe the year is just zooming by at a faster pace than it seems like it should be mid-pandemic!  lol

Oh dang! I hadn’t been in the thread awhile, but saw it and thought of you guys. Thanks for keeping me in the loop!

• Love 1
On 7/22/2020 at 9:21 PM, TVFan17 said:

Melissa Joan Hart directed Feliz NaviDad with Mario Lopez and AnnaLynne McCord for Lifetime, and is starring in her own new Lifetime Christmas movie (with Jason Priestley and Robin Givens on board as well) called Dear Christmas (title is subject to change).

It's funny to remember that Melissa Joan Hart is the target demo for the OG 90210. I'll probably watch. 

• Love 1

Thank you to those that recommended A Bramble House Christmas. It was very good and better than most of the crap I was forced to watch on the regular Hallmark Channel last holiday season. I am wondering if they will air Two Turtle Doves as well since I heard that was a good movie. 

• Love 1

There is a holiday movie supposedly being filmed for the ION network right now (in Colorado), with a working title of "Right Plan, Wrong Man."  I highly doubt they will keep that title, so -- without knowing anything about the plot -- I am trying to guess what the final title might end up being.  "Wrong Man for Christmas"?  lol

Also... Ryan McPartlin and Vanessa Lachey are returning to Lifetime this year for Christmas, but this is their first movie together.  I guess they're filming in L.A.

Edited by TVFan17
On 8/5/2020 at 2:18 PM, TVFan17 said:

The network for this one is unknown, but here is the cast of Christmas Cuisine of Love AKA Christmas Cuisine, with director/writer/producer Jake Helgren.  Jake made last year's A Merry Christmas Match, which aired on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, and I think he had at least a couple of Christmas movies on Lifetime as well.

Jake Helgren is also responsible for Lifetime's new movie A Very Charming Christmas Town FKA Christmas in Solvang, with Natalie Hall, Kelley Jakle and many others.

Nice to see Joe Lando and Jo Marie.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

I love Christmas but hate how the start up of airing Christmas movies now starts all the way in October.  I like Freeform giving Halloween prominence.  I hope we get 30 days of Thanksgiving too.  As much as I love Christmas, I think airing Christmas movies should start no earlier than Black Friday.  Showcasing Thanksgiving would distinguish Freeform as alternative to people who want an alternative to Hallmark’s Christmas starts in October programing. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

I love Christmas but hate how the start up of airing Christmas movies now starts all the way in October.  I like Freeform giving Halloween prominence.  I hope we get 30 days of Thanksgiving too.  As much as I love Christmas, I think airing Christmas movies should start no earlier than Black Friday.  Showcasing Thanksgiving would distinguish Freeform as alternative to people who want an alternative to Hallmark’s Christmas starts in October programing. 

Freeform usually does a Countdown to Christmas schedule and pulls out big ratings movies because it’s November sweeps.

• Love 1

Hallmarks Christmas blitz starts on Friday, October 23rd, and Lifetime starts on October 23rd (apparently the new movie is on the 25th).  Also Lifetime will have a movie featuring a Chinese-American family. 

I wish Lifetime would show the regular Monday through Friday fare, and only show the Christmas movies from afternoon on.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Hallmarks Christmas blitz starts on Friday, October 23rd, and Lifetime starts on October 25th? (not sure of the date), including 30 new movies, and an LGBTQ relationship movie called, The Christmas Set Up.   Also Lifetime will have a movie featuring a Chinese-American family. 

Oh yes!  Those movies have been mentioned here.  If you scroll up, you'll see an early August post with synopses of both Christmas Set Up and A Sugar & Spice Holiday. And in July I posted a tweet from Lifetime that indicated there would be over 30 movies (though they later began saying "30 movies" without the "over" in front of it).

My guess is that October 25th (a Sunday) might be the first new movie Lifetime premieres for the season, but that they might start showing some of their older Christmas movies on 10/23 or 10/24.  That's what I am expecting.  Last year Lifetime started showing Christmas movies in the middle of October to try and get ahead of Hallmark. Hallmark saw that Lifetime started earlier than originally announced, and they decided to suddenly start early too.  I can't see why Lifetime would wait until 10/25 when they could just start showing them on 10/23 -- or mid-October again.

• Useful 1

Casting info for Lifetime Christmas movies --

Lifetime Reveals Casts for First LGBTQ, Asian-Centered Christmas Movies

Excerpt:

The Christmas Set Up, the network's first Christmas movie with a central LGBTQ storyline, will star real-life married couple Ben Lewis (Arrow) and Blake Lee (Fam). Joining them in the feel-good holiday film will be Fran Drescher and Ellen Wong.

Excerpt:

Additionally, Lifetime has cast Jacky Lai (V-Wars) and Tony Giroux (Motherland: Fort Salem) as the leads for its first Asian American-centric holiday movie, A Sugar & Spice Holiday. Legendary actor Tzi Ma, who is coming off the release ofMulan, has also boarded the film. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Oh, and I almost forgot to post this -- ION put out its holiday release earlier than usual...

ION Television is “Your Home for the Holidays” With Four All-New Movie Premieres

ION’s Annual Celebration Continues this December with the Premieres
of “A Royal Christmas Engagement,” “Christmas Together,” “Beaus of Holly”
and “The Christmas Sitters,” plus more than 30 Returning Favorites

Digital Multicast Network ION Plus Set to Air Nearly 40 Holiday Movies
from Halloween through Christmas Day

...ION is kicking off the holiday season on Sunday, November 29, with special holiday fare airing weekends in December through Christmas Day....

ION’s digital multicast network, ION Plus, also returns with a full slate of holiday movies in 2020. Beginning with the Halloween-themed “You Cast a Spell on Me” on October 31, ION Plus will feature nearly 40 holiday movies on weekends in November and every day in December through Christmas.

ION Television’s new movie premieres air weekends beginning November 29 through December 13. The full holiday movie schedule will be released this fall on iontelevision.com. The following is a list of ION’s all-new movies in 2020, including descriptions and cast info.

“A Royal Christmas Engagement”
Cast: Paige Bach, James Nitti, John Schneider
Writer: Adam Rockoff
Director: Fred Olen Ray
Synopsis: A Manhattan ad agency boss, John Holiday, entrusts Lauren to deliver the big pre-holiday client pitch, but only winds up annoying her when she’s teamed up with a European consultant. To Lauren's surprise, this consultant turns out to be the handsome Prince Edward of Candashire, masquerading as his consultant pal to escape his royal duties for an incognito American Christmas.
Produced by: Hybrid

“Christmas Together”
Cast: Anna Marie Dobbins, Vivica A. Fox, Marc Herrmann, Riley Coe, Anthony Carro
Writer: Jay Cipriani
Director: David DeCoteau
Synopsis: A brokenhearted New York painter, Ava, and a West Coast widower, Mason, have their lives collide when Mason’s young daughter, Mia, rents out his guest house to Ava for Christmas, without her dad's knowledge, in an attempt to convince her dad she is responsible enough to earn a dog for Christmas.
Produced by: Hybrid

Beaus of Holly”
Cast: Jennifer Freeman, Johnny Pacar, Nikki Leigh, Michael Copon
Writers: Kelly Goodner, Jim Hemphill & David Michael Latt
Director: Anthony C. Ferrante 
Synopsis: When Holly boldly proposes to Phil, he confesses he needs to first work things out with a long-ago ex. Having booked a romantic holiday sleigh ride, despondent Holly pours her heart out to sleigh driver, Jake, who takes a refreshing interest in her, until Phil returns.
Produced by: The Asylum

“The Christmas Sitters”
Cast: Tristin Mays, Nathan Owens, GloZell Green, Melissa Ordway, Justin Gaston, Chris Soules
Writers: Sam Jackson, Anna Rasmussen
Director: Dylan Vox
Synopsis: Facing holiday flight delays on a return trip from Europe, two parents double-book incompatible babysitters: the mother’s BFF lawyer friend, Nora, and the dad's guitarist half-brother, Max, to look after their two kids and dog. After a rather stormy start, an attraction grows.
Produced by: The Asylum

Edited by TVFan17

Lifetime has not put this info on their site yet (from what I can tell -- I could have missed it), but actor Nathan Witte posted a full schedule of all 30 new Lifetime movies on Instagram (which he has since removed, sadly). 

Not only were all 30 new movies listed, but it does, indeed, look as though they are starting on Friday, 10/23 instead of 10/25. 

There were definitely a few acquired movies on the list -- not Lifetime originals -- such as one that originally aired on Passionflix.