Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday TV Movies & (Non-Rankin Bass) Holiday Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

49 minutes ago, MissyPoo said:

Yes! I caught it last year but my DVR blurped out on me so I missed some of it and maybe the ending (not sure, have to see it again). But I remember really enjoying this one! I'm definitely giving it a rewatch this year. So good.

Mark your calendar for November 7th. It looks like that's the next showing according to the site. Sadly, it'll be late night around 1 am/2c. 

Oh happy day! I'm SO here for this! I guess this one is for next year? I kinda want it this year but I wouldn't mind shuffling it with my watchlist for Christmas Chronicles 2 and Kat Graham's movie next year.

So last night I caught A Christmas Movie Christmas and Love Alaska. I liked them Love Alaska was a nice easygoing movie I could relax with and I appreciated how they sidestepped the usual flashbacks with the male lead having PTSD and it made it more visceral so you can sort of feel what he's going through. The ending came abruptly after all the back and forth. I would have loved to have seen a more dramatic confession of their feelings to make the buildup worth it, but there it is.

A Christmas Movie Christmas gave me a few chuckles and I loved seeing them poke fun at the christmas movie tropes. They even added a little lesson in there which was nice. It was a bit goofy at times. In fact, I couldn't help comparing it to Lifetime's Christmas Perfection (which I have a renewed appreciation for this year) which also poked fun at the christmas movie tropes but did it in a more believable and especially charming way. Even when it was goofy, it was funny and entertaining. ACMC was a little over the top and the acting was a bit cheesetastic at times.

Speaking of UP, the trailer for Christmas in Paris has dropped. I'm here for this Harlequin movie cheesefest!

This was suggested next on the list but I have no idea what channel it will be on.

I'd watch the heck out of that one, too.

It's funny how Hallmark decided not to do a royal movie this year but every other channel has princes, earl's and stuff coming out the woodwork! 

Unfortunately, I'll be sleeping when the next showing is on.

Watching the Hallmark replay of A Christmas for the Books from last year. HTH did Chelsea Kane not get another movie with her fun high s*** manic pixie christmas chick? Switch up the usual barrel curl big city calm lead for someone who needs to chill a lot to win the boy and save the hometown christmas [parade/barn/diner/school]

• LOL 1

There are some intriguing ION movies in that at least some of them have a different plot than what most of Hallmark has. 

I did have to laugh at this one, though.

“Christmas Matchmakers” – Sunday, December 8, 7/6c PM
Cast: Vivica A. Fox, Anna Marie Dobbins, Andrew Philip Rogers, Tracy Nelson, Dorian Gregory
Synopsis: It’s the week after Thanksgiving when Jen, a personal assistant, and Jon, an advertising exec, happen to sit next to each other in the food court and bond over mutual problems with their bosses. After complaining that they have no time for their personal lives, they come up with an elaborate plan to have their bosses date in order to get more time for their own Christmas vacations. As the two become closer and their plan begins to show signs of life, it turns out that Jen and Jon may just be the perfect match for each other.
Produced by: Hybrid

That's basically the premise to Netflix's Set It Up but set at Christmas.

• Love 3

I agree, but since I liked Set It Up I’m hoping this one is good. ION tends to do one great movie every year.

Watched a bit of Christmas Under Wraps with Candace Cameron Bure and forgot how enjoyable her early movies (this one and Let It Snow) were when she wasn’t so shrieky. 

• Love 3
On 10/29/2019 at 10:34 AM, Misslindsey said:

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert's attempt at competing with Hallmark and Lifetime. 😉

I would absolutely watch Jurassic Wreath.  Maybe we'll get lucky and The Asylum will actually produce a movie with that title.  

Anyone else here catch The Twelve Disasters of Christmas when it's been on SYFY in previous years?  If so, what did you think?

• Love 2
9 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Oh bummer. 😞 Hopefully they show it earlier sometime soon so you can catch it.

8 minutes ago, dalek said:

I would absolutely watch Jurassic Wreath.  Maybe we'll get lucky and The Asylum will actually produce a movie with that title.  

Anyone else here catch The Twelve Disasters of Christmas when it's been on SYFY in previous years?  If so, what did you think?

They probably would! I was shocked to see some Asylum movies over at Ion but like played straight and not spoofy haha.

I haven't seen the Twelve Disasters movie but I may have to check it out for the craziness. If it's half as nuts as Christmas Twister, I'll probably get a kick out of it.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Friday Nov 15th a 5pm Once and Twice Upon a Christmas are scheduled back to back. Then they’re repeating the next morning at 5 and 7 am. 

I watched Hallmark’s Nostalgic Christmas earlier. It was okay but there was nothing interesting about the characters or the story even though I liked the leads. Three-quarters of the way through I realized I did not care how it ended. I don’t think I would have finished it if I wasn’t doing other things while I watched. 

I also re-watched Snowed Inn Christmas which was just as good as I remembered. So far this year I’m enjoying my favorites from previous years to the new movies. 

7 hours ago, Dani said:

I watched Hallmark’s Nostalgic Christmas earlier. It was okay but there was nothing interesting about the characters or the story even though I liked the leads. Three-quarters of the way through I realized I did not care how it ended. I don’t think I would have finished it if I wasn’t doing other things while I watched. 

You did better than me with Nostalgic Christmas. I barely made it halfway. I just thought it was really dull. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Dani said:

I also re-watched Snowed Inn Christmas which was just as good as I remembered. So far this year I’m enjoying my favorites from previous years to the new movies. 

5 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

You did better than me with Nostalgic Christmas. I barely made it halfway. I just thought it was really dull. 

I think I went halfway between you guys. I started it but lost interest part way so I mentally checked out. It was great background noise for whatever I was doing at the time though. The movie itself seemed like it was phoning it in.

I'm in the same place as @Dani. I'm loving all my old faves that they've been replaying. They've drowned out the newer ones by far. 

• Love 3

I loved Two Turtle Doves. I big part of that was the fact that Nikki DeLoach and Michael Rady are really good together but I also enjoyed several aspects of the story. Finally a movie with a dead grandmother and a dead wife where people actually grieve and talk about their grief. Plus it didn’t end with I love you or getting engaged but simply I like you and want to kiss you so let’s see where this goes in the next year. And there wasn’t a single misunderstanding in sight. Bonus points for the message that you don’t have to choose between family or career. 

I agree that Nikki DeLoach and Michael Rady are good together. They have good chemistry and they played the almost kiss perfectly.

This didn't really live up to their first movie together this year for me, though.  While it was good that people talked about grief, it also leaned a bit too much into plot=doing Christmas things. The stars got me through.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Dani said:

I loved Two Turtle Doves. I big part of that was the fact that Nikki DeLoach and Michael Rady are really good together but I also enjoyed several aspects of the story. Finally a movie with a dead grandmother and a dead wife where people actually grieve and talk about their grief. Plus it didn’t end with I love you or getting engaged but simply I like you and want to kiss you so let’s see where this goes in the next year. And there wasn’t a single misunderstanding in sight. Bonus points for the message that you don’t have to choose between family or career. 

I loved it too  - there wasn’t one Hallmark movie last year that I want to see again but this one is staying on my DVR for awhile.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, In2You said:

Watching Christmas Reservations and this Indian grandmother is the rudest nastiest character I've come across in one of these movies in awhile. It's so off putting.

I just started watching and you’re not exaggerating. Between her and the hero acting like an entitled ass in his first scene I’m not sure how long I’m going to be able to watch this. 

29 minutes ago, Dani said:

I just started watching and you’re not exaggerating. Between her and the hero acting like an entitled ass in his first scene I’m not sure how long I’m going to be able to watch this. 

Oh don't worry, by the end she becomes Ms. Merry Matchmaker for no particular reason.  I didn't love the movie but one thing I did like is that it was about many different potential couples instead of just one.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Oh don't worry, by the end she becomes Ms. Merry Matchmaker for no particular reason.  I didn't love the movie but one thing I did like is that it was about many different potential couples instead of just one.

I quit after the obnoxious kids decided to steal decorations from the lobby to turn a golden retriever into a reindeer. I am curious about the dog because there’s no way that was a stray.

I liked the idea of multiple stories but Markie Post and Michael Gross were the only ones I could tolerate. 

I turned on Hallmark one evening before Halloween just to have something on, and I had forgotten we were into Christmas movies.  I tried to hang in there, but nope.  Way too early.  As someone who loves, loves, loves Advent and Christmas, I am a stickler for not jumping a holiday.  See y’all after Thanksgiving!

• Love 5

Still slowly catching up with new Christmas movies...

Quite liked A Christmas Movie Christmas. It wasn't must-see, or anything, it was quite over-the-top, and the two competing male love interests weren't particularly charming, but overall, I liked the self-awareness of it all, the light-heartedness, and the fact that it was written and produced by two of the leads.

I somewhat enjoyed The Road Home for Christmas, too, more for the cast, the music and the unlikely road-trip format than for the story. I'll admit that for me, the movie kinda lost steam as it moved from wacky encounters to something more teary and emotional, but it was okay nonetheless.

(still haven't started catching up with the Hallmark movies... it feels like a slippery slope I'm not sure I'm ready for yet ^^)

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Love 1

I liked Merry & Bright.  It was very pleasant. Andrew Walker and Jodie Sweetin were good together.  They, the rest of the cast and even the script seemed to rise above the thousand other "small Christmas company in a small town struggling to make ends meet and a big city corporate comes in trying to buy or save the company." 

Sharon Lawrence and the dog were just as rootable than the main couple, if not more so. 

My biggest disappointment was that year-round candy canes was the solution to her troubles when adding a chocolate line would be much more realistic. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I liked Merry & Bright.  It was very pleasant. Andrew Walker and Jodie Sweetin were good together.  They, the rest of the cast and even the script seemed to rise above the thousand other "small Christmas company in a small town struggling to make ends meet and a big city corporate comes in trying to buy or save the company." 

Sharon Lawrence and the dog were just as rootable than the main couple, if not more so. 

My biggest disappointment was that year-round candy canes was the solution to her troubles when adding a chocolate line would be much more realistic. 

Sharon Lawrence! Thank you, Irlandesa--I hadn't wandered over to IMDB yet, but I knew I recognized her.

I liked it, too. Of course, Andrew Walker is a given for me, but I haven't watched any of the movies with Jodie Sweetin yet, so she was an unknown quantity for me, but I thought she was good. And I agree with the year-round candy cane resolution being a letdown. Why couldn't they add chocolates? Everyone seemed to like them (well, except the investor guy, but his wife did).

I choose to think Andrew Walker's character will talk her into it in an off-screen epilogue. That's my story ending and I'm sticking to it. 

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I agree with everything you said. Jodie Sweetin is so likeable and Andrew Walker could convince me he’s falling in love with a tree. 

The decision to make candy canes year round was an even bigger disappointment because up to the point the story was actually progressing pretty realistically. It would have made more sense if year round candy canes was the initial solution and the chocolates were the last minute idea. 

Edited by Guest
18 hours ago, Dani said:

I quit after the obnoxious kids decided to steal decorations from the lobby to turn a golden retriever into a reindeer. I am curious about the dog because there’s no way that was a stray.

I liked the idea of multiple stories but Markie Post and Michael Gross were the only ones I could tolerate. 

I enjoyed this one a lot and it was good to see Ricardo Chavira again.  I was distracted in the beginning by the woman who played Markie Post's sister; they looked so much alike. Also shocked that the ski champ was played by Ted McGinley. I didn't recognize him and only realized it was him when I read who's who in the cast. Also, the woman who played Markie's sister, is married to Ted McGinley irl.  I agree Indian grandma was annoying for most of the movie but at the end she turned out to be alright. 

• Love 1

I agree with the candy cane/chocolate idea.

I am the viewer who spent the whole movie wondering if Jodie's huge smile was real or if she needed implants due to meth mouth. I also was wondering why she trades in hubbies more often then we trade in cars.

But enough of the movie seeped through that, other than the business direction foolishness, this was a good, fairly tight, movie

17 minutes ago, Dani said:

I agree with everything you said. Jodie Sweetin is so likeable and Andrew Walker could convince me he’s falling in love with a tree. 

The decision to make candy canes year round was an even bigger disappointment because up to the point the story was actually progressing pretty realistically. It would have made more sense if year round candy canes was the initial solution and the chocolates were the last minute idea. 

• Love 2

Are all Lifetime’s movies this year supposed to be connected? I haven’t watched No Time Like Christmas yet but the other three have all mentioned Winter Storm Meghan. 

11 hours ago, tres bien said:

I almost feel bad that I hated Christmas Reservations because I like MJH.

However, her last several movies have been a complete bust for me and I don't think I'll bother watching them anymore.

Was this another one she produced herself? Because that one she produced herself starring all her friends/family was boring as hell!

And then the random Bollywood dancing near the end.

One thing I really don’t understand about Lifetime movies this year is why they don’t adjust the story to match the actors actual age or cast actors that are the same age as the character. 

In Sweet Mountain Christmas the leads were supposed to be high school sweethearts but she’s 8 years older then him. 

Trying to pass of Melissa Joan Hart and Ricardo Chavira as late 30’s college sweethearts who graduated in 2002 is laughable. 

In one scene he says that is wife died in 2012 when his youngest was 6 months who is now 11.  How does no one catch something like that? The kids acted more like the 7 and 8 year olds they should have been. 

1 hour ago, In2You said:

Was this another one she produced herself? Because that one she produced herself starring all her friends/family was boring as hell!

And then the random Bollywood dancing near the end.

She didn’t but it was produced by her mother. 

Edited by Guest
1 minute ago, Dani said:

One thing I really don’t understand about Lifetime movies this year is why they don’t adjust the story to match the actors actual age or cast actors that are the same age as the character. 

In Sweet Mountain Christmas the leads were supposed to be high school sweethearts but she’s 8 years older then him. 

Trying to pass of Melissa Joan Hart and Ricardo Chavira as late 30’s college sweethearts who graduated in 2002 is laughable. 

In one scene he says that is wife died in 2012 when his youngest was 6 months who is now 11.  How does no one catch something like that? The kids acted more like the 7 and 9 year olds they should have been. 

She didn’t bit it was produced by her mother. 

See this movie was so boring for the most part that I missed that they were supposed to be late 30s. They literally look 40 some and I really missed the part about his wife dying in 2012. And yes those kids acted younger than they were.

5 minutes ago, anniebird said:

The problem with A Christmas Movie Christmas is that it started out being a parody of Christmas movies and then turned into the thing it was parodying. It needed to be one thing or another but not both.

Yes that was my problem.  I liked it when the one lead was telling the guy how creepy his Christmas cards were. Especially that one where he drew her sleeping. But then shortly after she started falling for him and I wasn't feeling that at all.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, In2You said:

But then shortly after she started falling for him and I wasn't feeling that at all.

I thought it was kind of neat that the actors are real-life husband and wife, but other than that they weren't great together.

• Love 1

Christmas With a Prince Sequel took a much more dramatic turn than the original. Miranda was a villain through and through. Just conniving and nasty to the bitter end. Blackmail, abuse of power, plotting to steal someone's future husband. She did it all! I feel like on Hallmark she would've been bitchy for a little bit and then had a change of heart. Or she would've went away after awhile.

Glad they didn't spend a lot of time trying to put on this glamorous royal wedding when there was no budget for it. It's always laughable in these movies when they try to do these "fancy" events on a shoestring budget and hair and wardrobe looks cheap. The wedding scenes were brief but I liked how they were filmed.

Alexander and Tasha had great chemistry together and I liked the scene where they visited his family's mausoleum. The engagement scene was sweet too.

I really liked this movie. It was a little different from the usual warm and fuzzy Christmas flick.

I'm trying to watch Christmas Scavenger Hunt, but since I LOATHE Tom Arnold I'm forced to fast-forward all scenes he's in and therefore I'm getting plot holes.   Maybe I can piece enough together to make sense.

• Love 1

I LOVED "Christmas Scavenger Hunt". Was fun and different except for the hometown boyfriend storyline, lol! I guess i loved the scavenger story part of it. 

https://heavy.com/entertainment/2019/11/hallmark-christmas-scavenger-hunt/

1 hour ago, Bronx Babe said:

New Movies for 2020:

A Curling Iron Christmas

When Calls The Cocoa

Autumn Bush Summer

Holidays at Holly Jolly Lodge

A Very Merry Monarch

My Hot Cider Love

Gingerbread Dreams and Santa Claus Kisses

August Snow Angel

"My Hot Cider Love"?!?

Sounds like porn! Lmao

• LOL 4

I could not watch No Time Like Christmas. I just don’t think Kyla Pratt is a good actress and the rest of the cast was just as bad from what I saw. I also found her movie last her unwatchable. 

I liked Christmas Scavenger Hunt. The story was very predictable but was interesting enough even though I’ll probably never feel the need to watch it again. 

18 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

The female lead in Christmas Scavenger Hunt looked too young to be the love interest for Kevin McGarry.  To me, she looked more like his much younger sister.  

She’s actually a year older than him. 

Edited by Guest

One last positive thing about Merry & Bright is that they handled their initial impressions with maturity.  The exchange when she thought he was her date and he was trying to "sell" her was hilarious.  And even when she overheard him telling his mother he didn't think this would work, she still worked with him.

About 45 minutes into Christmas Scavenger Hunt, I decided I'm either going to delete it or listen to it in the background while trying to sleep.  I like Kevin McGarry but I do feel like his love interest feels more like a sister than a love interest.  And Tom Arnold sometimes works as the dad but only when the daughter is interesting.  Plus, it's once again doing Christmas things=plot.  Granted, they at least somewhat acknowledge it by making it a scavenger hunt but that's still what it is.

I just deleted Christmas Always and Forever.  Sometimes Broadway stars can pull off TV/films and sometimes they cannot.  Based on this movie, at least, I'm not feeling that Lexis Lawson can.

But I did watch long enough to hear that Winter Storm Megan was on its way so props to @Dani for figuring that out.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

Three words I never thought would be stuck in my head (prior to last weekend) are:

Winter.  Storm.  Megan.

I noticed WSM mentioned in two of the movies from last weekend (not sure if it was mentioned in the 3rd one).  I noticed WSM mentioned again this weekend.   I came to this thread tonight to see if anyone else was talking about Megan.

Winter Storm Megan is the MVP of the Lifetime holiday season, and now I feel compelled to tune in and watch the remaining 25 Lifetime movies to see if Megan is still causing problems for people.

Edited by TVFan17
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

Three words I never thought would be stuck in my head (prior to last weekend) are:

Winter.  Storm.  Megan.

I noticed WSM mentioned in two of the movies from last weekend (not sure if it was mentioned in the 3rd one).  I noticed WSM mentioned again this weekend.   I came to this thread tonight to see if anyone else was talking about Megan.

Winter Storm Megan is the MVP of the Lifetime holiday season, and now I feel compelled to tune in and watch the remaining 25 Lifetime movies to see if Megan is still causing problems for people.

I found the idea of Winter Storm Megan wreaking havoc across Lifetime movies very entertaining. I only noticed it in the first movie because Megan Hilty was the one who said it and I assumed it was an inside joke. After that I couldn’t help but notice it in the others.

I even kept No Time Like Christmas on in the background until there was mention of Winter Storm Megan. It’s five for five so far. I hope we get someone in a tropical location complaining about Winter Storm Megan. 

Edited by Guest
14 hours ago, Happywatcher said:

I am the viewer who spent the whole movie wondering if Jodie's huge smile was real or if she needed implants due to meth mouth. I also was wondering why she trades in hubbies more often then we trade in cars.

THIS.  This is why I don’t enjoy her stuff and never watch her movies.  She cavalierly destroyed her first husband.  Took advantage of many people.  Hits the high notes with mutual domestic violence, etc.  But Hallmark hangs their hat on her?  And yet other actors and actresses are radioactive.  Sorry...deviation.  

I’m enjoying the scavenger hunt movie so far.  Tom Arnold sounds so stuffed up/sick.  ETA - worst scavenger hunt clues ever.  Maybe tough enough for preschoolers...

Edited by VartanFan
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I thought tom arnold sounded like he was holding his nose!! Weird.

good point above that in "Scavenger" the leads seemed more like brother and sister.

i did love the scenery/location of that movie though. Filmed beautifully to capture that. I need to get a red fur trimmed jacket and a red Ford pickup truck to drive around in the snow! 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I just deleted Christmas Always and Forever.  Sometimes Broadway stars can pull off TV/films and sometimes they cannot.  Based on this movie, at least, I'm not feeling that Lexis Lawson can.

I was going to watch this because I saw Lexi Lawson in Hamilton awhile back. Now I am not sure I want to check it out.

13 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I'm trying to watch Christmas Scavenger Hunt, but since I LOATHE Tom Arnold I'm forced to fast-forward all scenes he's in and therefore I'm getting plot holes.   Maybe I can piece enough together to make sense.

He always sounds like he has a cold - I keep wanting him to blow his nose.

6 hours ago, Dani said:

I found the idea of Winter Storm Megan wreaking havoc across Lifetime movies very entertaining. I only noticed it in the first movie because Megan Hilty was the one who said it and I assumed it was an inside joke. After that I couldn’t help but notice it in the others.

I even kept No Time Like Christmas on in the background until there was mention of Winter Storm Megan. It’s five for five so far. I hope we get someone in a tropical location complaining about Winter Storm Megan. 

Yes, I agree!  I think it's a very fun idea to have this one storm as a common theme in each movie -- or even in just some of the 30 movies, if not all.   It's clever, and it essentially tells us that all of these individual Lifetime Christmas love stories are taking place in the same holiday season of the same year. 

And although I could certainly be forgetting something, I don't think that either Lifetime or Hallmark has done this kind of thing before, so I give Lifetime big props for thinking of it, and for giving me a reason to want to see more of their movies this year than I had planned to watch.  I was originally going to just pick and choose 10 to watch from the Lifetime batch, but now I have to tune in to everything to see if the adventures of Winter Storm Megan continue on!  lol

Or... who knows?  Maybe Megan is the running joke for a while, but they might switch to something different in the middle of the season, for the December movies -- maybe a different storm name, or a company name, or a brand of toys or whatever.  Something that makes sense to mention in every Christmas movie.

I think that Winter Storm Megan might not be mentioned in the movies that Lifetime acquired later on down the road (the ones that were not originally made for Lifetime), unless their editors worked some magic.    Three of the definite acquired movies are Matchmaker ChristmasA Storybook Christmas and Mistletoe & Menorahs.   A Christmas Love Letter might be an acquisition too, but I'm not as certain.  So if Megan is missing from those movies, we will know why.

Speaking of acquired movies, the 3 movies that Hallmark acquired this year (the ones not originally made for Hallmark) are: A Merry Christmas Match, Christmas Scavenger Hunt and A Cheerful Christmas.    So if anyone notices any differences in those movies as compared to other Hallmark movies, that might be the reason why.

And Andrew Walker is not the only one appearing as a leading man in 2 new Hallmark holiday movies this year.  Michael Rady is also doing it!   I just saw his name on the Hallmark website -- Michael is Aimee Teegarden's co-star in New Year, New Me, airing at the end of December.

• Love 1

To be honest, the only thing I really noticed about A Merry Christmas Match was that, despite having never seen Kyle Dean Massey in my life, my gaydar started pinging as soon as he appeared on screen, and as such, I never once believed in his romance with Newbrough.

So no chemistry + an underused supporting cast (can't help but feel Lindsey Gort/John DeLuca would have made better leads) + a bland, generic story = a very weak start to the Hallmark season.

• Love 5