Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday TV Movies & (Non-Rankin Bass) Holiday Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

She's okay but I kind of agree.  Maybe Danica. But I really like Oliver Hudson and am excited to see him in one of these.  On Nashville, he had chemistry with his co-stars even if they weren't romantic.

It's more I don't like her outside of her acting. She's okay in movies. I probably would have preferred Danica. Or maybe Jen Lilley from The Spirit of Christmas. Oh well. At least it isn't a movie I'd be paying for separately.

• Love 2

Here's one that will be airing on TV One

A down-on-his-luck single father (Dondré T. Whitfield, Queen Sugar) questions his decision to give up his dreams to take care of his ailing mother. A Christmas miracle gives him a glimpse of what his life would have been like if he'd made a different choice. The ensemble cast includes Christian Keyes (Saints & Sinners), Tracey Heggins, Stella Doyle, Diallo Thompson, Delpaneaux Wills, and Chris Whitley.

That looks like it could be interesting.  I like him on Queen Sugar.

I found myself really enjoying Every Christmas Has A Story which surprised me because they rarely manage to put depth in their "finding Christmas spirit" stories outside of Christmas cookies and tress.  The leads had chemistry and gave good performances.  The mystery surrounding her past and why the Christmas Tree stopped coming were written in intriguing ways...or at least until the end.  That the man's wife died was a bit cliche, although it was nice that it was because of that rather than some rivalry with the mayor. (I thought it'd be some kind of antipathy considering the trees stopped coming when he was elected.)

And I guess the dad showing up in Hollyvale was pretty silly and their reunion rushed.  Did we ever find out why he left? 

But these are minor quibbles to what I felt was an otherwise well put together movie.  They actually seemed like professionals doing their jobs and their conflicts felt organic and character based. 

Married by Christmas was hilarious. I liked the jokes and the lead being a crazy ass drunk. Plus, I liked the twist of the initial guy she tries to marry not be the one she ends with. That's a first. I thought the sister and fiancé were annoying, and realized that the sister was Stacey on Drop Dead Diva and was even more irritated.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, twoods said:

Married by Christmas was hilarious. I liked the jokes and the lead being a crazy ass drunk. Plus, I liked the twist of the initial guy she tries to marry not be the one she ends with. That's a first. I thought the sister and fiancé were annoying, and realized that the sister was Stacey on Drop Dead Diva and was even more irritated.

I thought the lead felt like a real person in 2016. So often you watch a Christmas movie and the characters are too perfect and  unrealistic in their interactions. And the women don't feel like modern women. The family in this one felt real. 

• Love 3

Merry Kissmas wasn't much better then Home For Christmas. The two leads sold the kiss but that was about it. I've seen Brant Daughtery on Pretty Little Liars and thought he was attractive. This film sucked all the sexiness out of him. 

I enjoyed Every Christmas Has a Story, although I freely admit that I will watch Colin Ferguson in absolutely anything because he's one of my Freebie Five. I think he and Lori Laughlin were good together, and although the story was a little contrived (but let's face it, how many of these stories aren't?), it was a very pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. My husband even sat and watched it with me since Colin F was in it and he's been a huge fan of his ever since Eureka. And trust me, Mr. kirinan has never watched ANY of the Hallmark movies--well, except the one about the wedding planner with Erica Durance, because she's one of his Freebie Five. And he enjoyed it, although I did catch some eye-rolling in parts. But basically two thumbs up from the kirinan family.

Oh, and the Willie Aames character made me tear up when he talked about losing his wife. Now that's a sentence I never expected to type.   

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2

I enjoyed Merry Christmas,  Baby! the most out of the Chandler family Christmas movies. I loved all the talk about fathers and their daughters and the scene with the candle lighting almost brought the water works.  Stephanie and her over the top self made me laugh as usual but it was also nice to see her bond with Blair. And it was good to see Marci and Liz running their business and dealing with the return of Adam Reed.  Baby Chandler was adorable

merry-christmas-baby-gallery-03.jpg

My One Christmas Wish reran tonight. That movie makes me cry every time it remains one of my favorites.

Christmas Cookies was decent enough. Loved the chemistry with the leads and it didn't drag on, plus there were cute scenes like the sledding and town events. What I didn't like was the contrived drama with Hannah not telling Jake about her boyfriend and having him propose in front of a bunch of strangers. Who does that? It made the movie only decent, not great. Still trying to find a movie this year that I would be willing to rewatch. Caught On the Twelfth Day of Christmas again this year and still love it- same with Nine Lives and Let it Snow. Hope there is a gem or two in the next few weeks.

• Love 1

I liked Finding Father Christmas, although I seem to be in the minority in not finding the lead actor good looking. But I still liked the movie. I agree that Christmas Cookies was decent. The relationship drama was annoying, but I was pleasantly surprised that the whole town knew from the start that there was an effort to move the factory away and that Jake's efforts were to counter the offer. I'm not explaining very well, but I basically liked that they somewhat twisted this usual holiday movie trope and didn't have that as the true drama keeping the characters apart.

So far I am keeping Finding Father Christmas and Love Always, Santa on my DVR, so I am willing to rewatch those. They aren't quite up there with my favorites, I don't think, but I liked them.

This year's annoyance is that so many of these movies show it snowing EVERY SINGLE DAY. Do these people not know that even in cold parts of the country, it doesn't snow every day?

• Love 2

I was bored during Christmas Cookies, although my sister liked it.  And Finding Father Christmas only got good once Wendie Malik showed up.

I thought My Christmas Dream was the best movie of the season so far and may end up in the running for favorite when all is said and done.  The actors were good and had chemistry.  The typically bland premise of needing to create the "perfect" window display was done pretty well.  I think it's because there was genuine humor, the story moved forward and the cute kid was actually cute. I just wish they hadn't made such a big deal about living in Paris as her dream.  It wasn't the promotion but Paris.  So when she gave that up...yeah, she still had a promotion but we also couldn't help but get the sense that she was giving up her dream for love.  

That said, I felt the rest of the movie was strong enough to overcome that small complaint.  

• Love 2

I agree about My Christmas Dream. The chemistry was great and loved the humor. Even the kid wasn't annoying, and they didn't go the cliche route of the best friend being a backstabber. I did not like that another female gives up her dream for love, but that is the Hallmark trope. Plus, they seem to be dealing with the complaints for diversity by making the sidekicks "ethnic". Maybe next year it will be the lead!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, twoods said:

Plus, they seem to be dealing with the complaints for diversity by making the sidekicks "ethnic". Maybe next year it will be the lead!

That's not dealing with the complaints of diversity.  They've been making sidekicks ethnic for years including casting well known actresses like Vivica Fox in the sidekick role. Handling the complaints would be actually casting a non white non passing for white lead. Hallmark doesn't deserve props for making anyone the supporting background character when their making so many movies a year.

Edited by In2You
  • Love 2

(Very) slowly catching up on recent Christmas movies.

- The Bridge part 1 & 2 felt like a mediocre, standard, 90 minutes Hallmark tv movie stretched to last twice that, I was absolutely bored to death by the time its final hour kicked in. Really liked Katie Findlay, though.

- A Perfect Christmas felt like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (or at least, it seemed to try to emulate the same sense of chaos that movie had), but if that movie had a bland cast, a bland script, and just not enough energy, chaos, and... well, not enough of anything, really. I appreciate the fact that, for once, it wasn't your standard Hallmark romance, but still, utterly forgettable, and it wasn't really surprising to see Hallmark sacrifice that movie by premiering it during summer.

- A Wish for Christmas, aka Lacey Chabert's Annual Christmas Movie, aka Hide The Bump, was... watchable. I usually like those "magic wish" movies (not too fond of business-centric ones, though), but it was nothing to write home about, and it ended up kinda dragging during its middle stretch, when they tried to have that family drama without really paying it off on screen at the end.

- The Mistletoe Promise had potential, but I really didn't feel the execution, and the cast even less. Well, let me rephrase that : Luke Macfarlane was fine, but I really disliked Jaime King in this : her style, her hair, her make-up, her cold demeanor, and so on. She screamed more "Hallmark movie villain/rival" than "romantic lead", and I didn't feel she had much chemistry with Macfarlane. So... a huge meh for that movie.

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Love 1

My Christmas Dream wasn't bad, although unlike everyone else, I found the kid (while adorable) to be very annoying through the first half of the movie. He settled down in the second half, though. I was glad that Danica's friend the assistant manager didn't turn out to be a mean girl, although I thought her acting was atrocious. I always like Danica, and I really liked the love interest--he reminded me so much of Ben Affleck (which is a positive for me--even though I'm mad about the way he treated Jen, I just can't help but like him as an actor). I don't know if I'd rewatch it, but I didn't get bored. 

I've been pleasantly surprised by the Hallmark Christmas movies so far.  Most of them have surprised me in at least some small way.  I only quit on one about 15 minutes in - sounds like Perfect Christmas from the description above - nothing about it appealed and I was unfamiliar with the leads so I bailed. 

But there was bound to be one that hit on my Christmas movie pet peeves and I couldn't look past and that was My Christmas Dream.  I like Danica McKellar, I do.  A Crown for Christmas was one of my favorite movies last year and I just enjoyed a rewatch (although her makeup in movie is terrible).  Her being whisked off to some made up country to be nanny to a princess on a day's notice was more logical than anything in this movie.  The whole script was made of cotton candy logic.  Granted, I nodded off once or twice and was reading at points during, but even trying to get my sister to answer question later didn't help (and the timeline was confusing). 

So, Danica is the manager of the flagship store and a month (?) before Christmas has no ideas for the 25th annual holiday display.  Deirdre Hall will explain later that is this something people come to see from around the state, so it's a big deal.  Deirdre, who has built the business into a chain across the midwest and now overseas, is clearly still involved in the business but has never met the manager for her flagship store?  Left the design of this big deal Christmas display to said unknown manager and didn't ask in advance what it was?  There isn't a design team whose job this is?  Even when Deirdre gets to the store the week (?) before the unveiling, she waits until almost the last possible moment to see the designs (which are random sketches, not the actual design of the display)?  Then she puts the kibosh on it, says they'll have to use the previous year's design and expects it to call come together in a day.  What now?  How does she even know they still have the stuff from last year?  And my sister mentioned something about live animals?  Good luck with that.  And why would any business unveil their big Christmas display the day before Christmas Eve?  How about the day after Thanksgiving?  You know, the start of the Christmas shopping season, not the end?  Why bring in all that foot traffic for one day?  But the cherry on top of the cotton candy plot sundae is Danica has to leave for Paris "the next day", which just happens to be Christmas Eve.  Oh for Pete's sake!  Exactly what is the rush?  I loathe when movies use that.  I think it might be the center square on my Cheesy TV Movie Pet Peeve Bingo card.  Deep sigh.

On a positive note, I liked the kid a lot.  And I liked that Deirdre Hall and her long lost love reconnected and that Danica's assistant didn't sell her out (although, I agree she wasn't a terribly strong actress).  On the downside (I know, more?) what was with Danica's wardrobe?  Somebody really loved that white blazer.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, JenMD said:

How does she even know they still have the stuff from last year?

Well this store is so rolling in cash that they have this huge warehouse where they keep all the previous displays...enough that Danica can recreate the Callaway's display from when Deidre's character was a high schooler. 

But I agree with so many of of your other points.  I especially rolled my eyes at the owner putting the kibosh on the display because it didn't reflect McDougal's in any way.  However, I don't see how any of the previous displays we saw did either.

• Love 2

Yeah, I forgot about the room full of stuff they pulled everything from.  Which reminds me, I feel sorry for all those poor employees who got drafted to put everything together at the last minute.  It's not like retail hours at Christmas are already long or anything.  And also, the poor ballerina (and the person in the snowman suit in the background) - wonder how long they have to hang around?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, In2You said:

That's not dealing with the complaints of diversity.  They've been making sidekicks ethnic for years including casting well known actresses like Vivica Fox in the sidekick role. Handling the complaints would be actually casting a non white non passing for white lead. Hallmark doesn't deserve props for making anyone the supporting background character when their making so many movies a year.

I think Hallmark thinks it's made strides by casting diverse cast as the bosses in these movies. I'm noticing many of them are lately. But while that would be a great thing in real life, in movie-land, they're still stuck in the background as minor characters.

• Love 5

December Bride was awful. I wanted to punch the aunt every time she mentioned "family."  Maybe she should have taught her daughter that you don't date your cousin's fiance. And I was a bit unclear on the timeline but at most this all happened a year and a half ago...possibly six months ago.  Even if this is something one can get over, there's no reason to manipulate and push the timeline.  Inviting her to the wedding?  The unmitigated gall. 

I was also unclear about the relationship the male lead had to the ex-fiance.  Supposedly Seth and Jack knew each other but obviously not enough that people wouldn't raise eyebrows that they had no clue that these two were even dating when it feels like something you'd mention.  Then again, the engagement was a super dumb plot to begin with.  As was the staging rivalry. 

I didn't buy the romance and the wedding tacked on at the end felt like how so many of the June Wedding movies ended. Couldn't they say "one year later...?"

In two more days, five more movies plus whatever is on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.  I'm debating watching the Melissa Joan Hart and Dean Cain movie.  Melissa is okay but I can't stand Dean Cain.

• Love 3

I enjoyed Operation Christmas.  I felt the leads had chemistry, the kids while typically annoying really did not cause problems. The conflict was real and something service member spouses and families do have to think about and deal with.  I liked the focus of on the military and the family and what Christmas can be like for them, missing their service member. Pointing the light on the fact that many young service families have little money and do run into problems this time of year is important. 

My love for Marc Blucas could be clouding my judgement though. 

• Love 2

An older hallmark movie that I really like is Naughty or Nice. I like that it is a movie with a platonic male/female friendship. It also has some genuinely funny moments.  I don't usually like movies about Santa being real but this is an exception. 

• Love 7

I've been watching more of the Hallmark Mysteries channel more than the regular channel. I love the movies, but they show the same movies over and over again, and it doesn't help that they show the same actresses over and over. Every other movie that they show has either Candace Cameron or Lacey Chabert. I don't mind either actress, but using the same actresses makes the movies seem more repetitive. 

I haven't watched Operation Christmas yet. I wish they'd have more variety in their military themed movies, maybe feature other branches. I'd love to see a Navy themed movie, but that would be somewhat difficult because a deployed sailor cannot unexpectedly come home for Christmas and then there are fraternization issues if they wanted to feature two single sailors. The whole surprise homecoming gets old and annoying because not all of us will get it and we have to wait the entire 6-9 months for a reunion missing all holidays from Halloween through the 4th of July. 

• Love 1

A Crown for Christmas was one of my favorite movies last year and I just enjoyed a rewatch (although her makeup in movie is terrible). 

cosign!

I enjoy the movie-- but Danica's false eyelashes are incredibly distracting throughout. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I enjoyed Operation Christmas.  I felt the leads had chemistry, the kids while typically annoying really did not cause problems. The conflict was real and something service member spouses and families do have to think about and deal with.  I liked the focus of on the military and the family and what Christmas can be like for them, missing their service member. Pointing the light on the fact that many young service families have little money and do run into problems this time of year is important. 

My love for Marc Blucas could be clouding my judgement though. 

All of the above.  I adore Marc Blucas and really enjoyed Operation Christmas.  He and Tricia Helfer were in a short-lived ABC show a few years ago and I thought they worked really well together then so was hoping the chemistry would hold and I thought they were lovely together here.  I liked the whole cast - the extended family, the kids; that mountain location was gorgeous.  I just really enjoyed the story and thought they did a good job with it.

My biggest problem was Sunday programming pitted two of my TV Boyfriends against each other.  Sorry, Daniel Lissing, maybe next time.  I was so happy when I first heard he got a Hallmark movie and then so disappointed the more I learned about it.  I'm pretty sure his costar's last Christmas movie is one I never made it through and from the reviews, it seems this one may hold the same fate.  I'll give it a try, though.

7 hours ago, Karen885 said:

An older hallmark movie that I really like is Naughty or Nice. I like that it is a movie with a platonic male/female friendship. It also has some genuinely funny moments.  I don't usually like movies about Santa being real but this is an exception. 

I adore Naughty or Nice.  I just taped it this weekend for a rewatch.  

• Love 1

Yeah, I think I'm gonna skip both December Bride & Operation Christmas, the cast & themes of those two don't appeal to me, at all.

Just finished Every Christmas has a Story. Not bad, very likeable cast (obviously) with great chemistry, the romance side of thing wasn't too heavyhanded, and overall, it didn't seem to take itself too seriously, which is always a plus. That said, the whole town mystery angle was a tad contrived, and the final stretch felt a bit rushed, which kinda detracted from the overall experience. Not a future classic, but still perfectly watchable.

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Love 1

December bride is ridiculous. The premise of everyone in the family having no issue with her cousin dating her fiancee and then marrying him wouldn't happen. I handwave so much when it comes to Hallmark but I couldn't this time.

She wouldn't be all happy with her aunt. Her dad wouldn't be at the wedding. That's the stuff that causes family rifts. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Court said:

December bride is ridiculous. The premise of everyone in the family having no issue with her cousin dating her fiancee and then marrying him wouldn't happen. I handwave so much when it comes to Hallmark but I couldn't this time.

She wouldn't be all happy with her aunt. Her dad wouldn't be at the wedding. That's the stuff that causes family rifts. 

Right? plus it was only a short time ago that it happened. The aunt was annoying. who is she to say how long it takes for her to forgive her cousin, if she ever does? Also both the aunt aunt and brother knew that the engagement was fake, why are they goi along with the surprise party? also it was only three weeks between the cousins wedding and the house showing why are you getting engaged so quickly? you weren't even really dating. This was ridiculous even by Hallmark standards. The leading man was cute and charming though.

• Love 3

Finished the rest of Every Christmas has a Story, and so far it has been my favorite out of the bunch. I liked that the romance wasn't the main storyline, and also enjoyed the mystery of the tree and her reconnecting with her father. Definitely a keeper.

• Love 3

I probably said this before on this forum, but it hasn't been the same since Ted Turner got the rights to Wizard of Oz and took it from CBS.  Thanksgiving just isn't the same without it.

The "Little Birdie" song from the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special is so mellow and beautiful.  Love it.

You know the only other Thanksgiving cartoons I know of besides the Charlie Brown one are a Bugs Bunny one and a Garfield one back in the 80s and they haven't shown those in forever.

• Love 3

I lasted 15 minutes with Broadcasting Christmas and got bored. Does it get more entertaining or should I delete it? I usually enjoy Melissa Joan Heart's TV movies but this one didn't catch my interest at all- no storyline and no chemistry. How disappointing. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, twoods said:

I lasted 15 minutes with Broadcasting Christmas and got bored. Does it get more entertaining or should I delete it? I usually enjoy Melissa Joan Heart's TV movies but this one didn't catch my interest at all- no storyline and no chemistry. How disappointing. 

I watched the whole thing, twoods, and while it wasn't the best movie I've seen, it wasn't the worst. It was a comfortable enough way to spend a couple of hours when I was too tired after work to get off the couch. I know, not a ringing endorsement and not a good indicator of whether you'll be bored or not, but I try to watch the movies with the older leads because I identify more with them, so...that's all I've got.

ETA: I will agree, though, not much chemistry between Dean Cain and Melissa Joan Hart. I like him, but have never seen much with her (actually, I'm not sure I've ever seen anything with her, although I know who she is). They were like two old friends, but I didn't buy them romantically. 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 1

So I have no family commitments until later this afternoon. I thought I would check out some movies only to discover Hallmark movies and mysteries I'd playing that silly yule log all day. Does anyone actually like that?

• Love 1

We usually have it on in the background on Christmas when the kids are opening presents. Don't know why Hallmark isn't playing movies when there are people that are probably in the same boat as you- waiting to go somewhere.

• Love 1

I enjoyed Christmas in Homestead, mostly because I like both the leads and the girl as well (she was adorable in General Hospital). I have a soft spot for the actor ever since he was on Greek. The ex boyfriend was really annoying, but the other peripheral characters made up for it. I liked the little girl's relationship with the bodyguard, her best friend and his sister were also good characters. Another movie that I didn't delete.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

Interesting because I think I would have preferred to watch the movie they were filming over the movie we got...mainly because I thought they had more chemistry even if he was a bit of a doofus.

But I didn't enjoy it.  It wasn't the worst movie I've seen but maybe it's this year but I have less patience for really thin plots, with not funny writing, or barely any effort.

• Love 2

There was a BC (the comic strip) Thanksgiving cartoon ages ago. The one time I ever saw it was in the 70s on Armed Forces Television in Europe. I think it came from years before that because they mostly showed old filler stuff.  It was on YouTube a few years ago. Parts of it were as funny as I remembered (there are bits that have become family in-jokes), but it's also really, really slow in parts.

• Love 1

The whole BC Thanksgiving cartoon is up in one piece on YT. That said, I tried watching since I like the strip, and I was bored. And it seemed very dated. (As in, you can tell it was made in the '70s, which, hey, if one likes that decade cool! [I was born in '72 myself]) But I found it plodding and barely made it 10 minutes.

Odd how some cartoons become tradition and others fade away.

The funnier stuff in the BC Thanksgiving is about midway through. I didn't even remember the stuff at the beginning. The good part is the turkey hunt and what happens when it fails. That's the part that has become a family in-joke from the one time we saw it. The men are hunting the turkey and get distracted by the Cute Chick. The chase after the turkey comes to a complete stop when they see her, and she says, "Hiya, turkey. Hiya fellas," and they're all reeling until they realize she mentioned the turkey. When the hunt fails, they end up with rocks for Thanksgiving, and the person leading the blessing says, "Bless these bountiful rocks." The others intone, "Bless these miserable rocks." So it's fairly traditional for us at Thanksgiving to say, "Hiya, turkey," when we put it on the table, and we've been known to include "Bless these miserable rocks" in the blessing. That was all I remembered of the special, and after rewatching it, I could see why.

• Love 3

I finally got a chance to watch Christmas in Homestead (been distracted by The Crown and Gilmore revival) and I enjoyed it.  Michael Rady is yet another of my tv boyfriends (Hallmark is being very good to me this year) and I thought he and Taylor had nice chemistry.  Lovely to see Brooklyn Silzer again, she really is a good little actress.  I thought the cast gelled really well together (I really liked the actress who played the sister) and the story, although obviously predictable (I know what channel I'm watching) was done well enough. 

I skipped the one with Dean Cain and Melissa Joan Hart, the one with Alicia Witt and will skip tonight's, but that gives me the chance to catch up on other stuff.  Still a month until Christmas and I feel like I'm overwhelmed with Christmas stuff to watch. 

I barely made it 20 minutes into December Bride; I just couldn't do it, even for Daniel Lissing (who deserves a much better movie next time).  The lead actress was just terrible and because she annoyed me so much, everything about the production bugged (like, why was her Christmas tree in the middle of the room?).  My sister did stick it out and pretty much hated it, but I appreciate her taking the hit.

• Love 1