Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday TV Movies & (Non-Rankin Bass) Holiday Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

There are so many festive tv movies released during the next two months that I thought it would be nice to have a thread to discuss them all. Past or present.

This is the first trailer that I've seen for one.

Hayley Temple (AnnaLynne McCord), the famous talk show host, is preparing for the holiday season by working; she's planning her very important TV show, her Christmas special. Already a scrooge, Hayley is even more miserable when she finds out her real-estate fiancée Jason (Drew Scott) is cheating on her - on air. To clear her head, she goes on a drive and ends up in Carver Bend, Connecticut, unfortunately crashing through a local judge's fence. Forced to do community service, she helps out her rescuer Logan (Jefferson Brown), by building a float for the town's annual Christmas parade to help save the town's art center. While Hayley bonds with the locals, the art center kids, and grows closer to Logan, she re-learns why the holidays are important to spend with loved ones, and she re-discovers the spirit of Christmas.

I know that the Hallmark Channel likes to promote that they show 12 new movies every Christmas, but perhaps it is time for them to cut down on the quantity and concentrate a bit more on the quality.  I thought that their first new one for this season, "One Starry Christmas", was really bad.  A very thin plot and pretty poor acting results in a movie that looks like it was made in about 3 days.  Usually these holiday movies have one or two people that you recognize, but I had not seen any of these people before. The lead actress had a big, toothy smile that got annoying after awhile and it seemed like the new boyfriend's brother was just added to the story so that he could sing some silly song. There was one unintentionally funny part...when she decides that she wants to take the Texan cowboy ice skating during the holidays in NYC, you naturally think Rockefeller Center, right?  Well, the budget was obviously so small on this movie, that they, and about 15 other people, ended up skating on what looked like an oversized puddle...where it took about 15 seconds to skate around once! 

• Love 1

My favorite Christmas movie, and one of my favorite movies of all time, is a TV movie called Always Remember I Love You, starring Patty Duke and a young Stephen Dorff.  Tear jerker of the first order.  And it's not been put onto DVD, or else I'd buy it.

It's available on YouTube, however:

Part 1 here -

• Love 1

I'm currently watching this at the moment. Has anyone seen it? As much as I hated Kelly Taylor I do think that Jennie Garth has some charm... it's not really evident in this movie. She also doesn't look great..

Haha! I watched that too last night! Mr. Mountain made fun of me the whole time for doing so but it was certainly your typical holiday movie except they added some cats in for good measure. Mr. Mountain, who was playing on the computer while I watched thought the premise was about 9 things that go wrong leading up to the penultimate moment but I don't think that was the case, would have added to its view ability though :) Instead I think the 9 Lives part of the title only existed because there were cats in the movie.

Overall, lame but watchable. Who was the lead guy? Didn't he play Superman or Spider-Man in some TV show a while back?

Edited by Mountainair

Haha! I watched that too last night! Mr. Mountain made fun of me the whole time for doing so but it was certainly your typical holiday movie except they added some cats in for good measure. Mr. Mountain, who was playing on the computer while I watched thought the premise was about 9 things that go wrong leading up to the penultimate moment but I don't think that was the case, would have added to its view ability though :) Instead I think the 9 Lives part of the title only existed because there were cats in the movie.

Overall, lame but watchable. Who was the lead guy? Didn't he play Superman or Spider-Man in some TV show a while back?

He was actually Superman in one of the movies! Kind of sad that he's fallen to being in a TV Christmas movie. It was definitely lame. But I liked the girl's awkwardness/humor, and I tend to like these movies a bit more when the characters actually are shown getting to know each other and doing things together as opposed to being kept apart for stupid reasons and somehow still falling for "strangers."

I actually really liked "Nine Lives of Christmas." Both leads had fantastic chemistry and I liked that we got to see them hang out and fall in love, instead of the usual haters turn lovers. They were both nice, and the girl was a vet student for a change. Brandon Routh is now on "Arrow" so he's not doing too bad for himself. I haven't deleted it off my DVR since I will probably watch it again.

"One Starry Christmas" was absolutely horrible. I couldn't get through 20 minutes of that crap.

Rewatched "Snow Bride" which was really cute, and "Let it Snow" with Candace Cameron Burke. Those two were the better movies from last year's batch. I'm bummed ABC Family isn't having a new romantic movie this year because theirs tend to be better than Hallmark's.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

That Grumpy Cat movie looks like it's going to be all sorts of pain!  Even the voice is all wrong for her!

"A Carol Christmas" wasn't bad.  I'm not a Tori Spelling fan, but the movie is very watchable.

"Eve's Christmas" also not bad - although I had a problem with the character NEVER having kept in contact with her family when she left to go to NY.  It's not like they disowned her.

I love the modern Christmas classic, "Mrs. Santa Claus" with Angela Lansbury as the titular character.  The late, great Charles Durning made a great Santa Claus as well!

I actually really liked "Nine Lives of Christmas." Both leads had fantastic chemistry and I liked that we got to see them hang out and fall in love, instead of the usual haters turn lovers. They were both nice, and the girl was a vet student for a change. Brandon Routh is now on "Arrow" so he's not doing too bad for himself. I haven't deleted it off my DVR since I will probably watch it again.

"One Starry Christmas" was absolutely horrible. I couldn't get through 20 minutes of that crap.

Rewatched "Snow Bride" which was really cute, and "Let it Snow" with Candace Cameron Burke. Those two were the better movies from last year's batch. I'm bummed ABC Family isn't having a new romantic movie this year because theirs tend to be better than Hallmark's.

We must have the same taste in movies. I meant that the recycled storyline was lame, but I actually did enjoy "Nine Lives of Christmas" as well and also kept it on my DVR. I liked it for the same reasons as you listed. Also agree that I did not like "One Starry Christmas." "Snow Bride" was a favorite of mine last year and I've already recorded the repeat. :-) 

I just adore made-for-tv holiday movies.  I have some of my favorites on DVR and watch them over and over throughout the year.  I set the bar really low for this genre.  Usually the Hallmark moves are good, if you suspend reality (and a little intelligence).  So far I actually liked Starry Christmas.  Of course I can't figure out how she's going to accept the job in Chicago and have a Happily Ever After with a cowboy who lives on a ranch in Texas . . . Nine Lives of Christmas was actually decent.  I liked it that she wasn't conventionally beautiful and still got a good looking guy.  On the other hand, I don't think I will bother watching Cookie Cutter Christmas again.  Ugh!  I can't put my finger exactly on what I didn't like about the movie.  The whole thing was basically blah.  I kept wanting to lecture all of the characters.  You don't ask 2nd graders how they want to spend their winnings before they've even won the contest.  How could a man move into town and he next day have a whole charity set-up?  Since when does one second grade teacher have the power to plan a whole fundraiser (including changing the rules on the fly)?  I could go on and on, but I don't want to waste any more time on that stupid movie.

On the other hand, I don't think I will bother watching Cookie Cutter Christmas again.  Ugh!  I can't put my finger exactly on what I didn't like about the movie.  The whole thing was basically blah.  I kept wanting to lecture all of the characters.  You don't ask 2nd graders how they want to spend their winnings before they've even won the contest.  How could a man move into town and he next day have a whole charity set-up?  Since when does one second grade teacher have the power to plan a whole fundraiser (including changing the rules on the fly)?  I could go on and on, but I don't want to waste any more time on that stupid movie.

I didn't dislike it to the extent you did. But I definitely would have enjoyed the movie a whole lot more if there was some other reason why the father helped her learn to bake besides the psycho-competition those two women had going on with everything. Like if she was in a regular competition with some other motivation and the whole storyline with the other teacher was non-existent. Their romantic storyline was fine. It was the pettiness of the two women, mostly the other teacher, that turned me off. The other woman was a huge pain in the butt. It was pretty much unwatchable. And that silly competition aspect is what led to some of what you found stupid about the movie, except for the setting up a charity super fast. Meanwhile, my nitpick related to school realism was the fact that what looked like a regular public school (unless I missed something indicating it was otherwise) was doing so much for Christmas specifically. Most schools stay broad with holiday celebrations since there are so many diverse families of varying religions who celebrate different things. 

I also couldn't make it through that movie, and I'm pretty tolerant towards the romantic fluff. After 15 minutes of annoying bickering from the two teachers I deleted it off the DVR. I'd rather watch a rerun of "The Thanksgiving House" than that crap.

I'm not a Christmas person at all.  But I do love the Hallmark run and the mini-marathon EON(?) did last year.  Simply because they make great fillers for lulls when family and friends are over casually.  We bring out the snacks and alcohol and have a snarky ole time.  Games include "how far have they fallen" -- a sort of six degrees game where whoever lists the most levels of professional step downs to the current role on the tube wins.  It makes for a nice break from "who the hell is that?" which is also a favorite (a slightly familiar face that refuses to be identified other than a litany of possible commercial work)  Another fun game is "set designer from hell" as we where's waldo and mock the hell out of the storage facility that doubles as an office or the only building they could get that they try to pass off as the front of an airport or hospital.  Despite the huge number of steps leading to the main if not only entrance. 

• LOL 1
Just about to watch Christmas Cupid with Pretty Little Liars Ashley Benson, Christina Milian and Chad Michael Murray. Has anyone seen this? Any good?

I saw it a few years ago.  It was bad, but not nearly as bad as Christina Milian's Snowglobe.  Snowglobe is at the bottom of my holliday movie list.

I just saw Naughty and Nice.  I had to fast forward to the last thirty minutes.  Maybe I'm just too cynical this season.

I saw it a few years ago.  It was bad, but not nearly as bad as Christina Milian's Snowglobe.  Snowglobe is at the bottom of my holliday movie list.

I just saw Naughty and Nice.  I had to fast forward to the last thirty minutes.

I've watched Christmas Cupid and Naughty and Nice - neither was great. I made it through to the end of both films but neither is a film I'd rewatch even if it was wrong... Christmas Cupid has a good cast as Hilarie Burton is a perfectly capable lead in naughty or nice, it's just the writing is too lackluster for both films and nobody can rise to the occasion.

So far the two films I've enjoyed the most on my marathon is Holidaze with Jennie Garth and Holiday in Handcuffs with Sabrina the Teen Witch and AC Slater.

The leads in both films are charming and can carry the film. Jenni Garth is especially good as she carries Holidaze. I hated her as Kelly Taylor but she was really hilarious in What I like about you and her charm and comedic timing makes what could have easily been an awful film much better. Sabrina and Slater have a decent enough back up cast in Handcuffs (Marki Post, Kyle Howard) plus they've a cute chemistry to keep the film going.

I've also realised from all the movies I've watched, I find it hard to enjoy Christmas movies where the weather looks warm. I'm Irish and it's cold and often snowing here at that time of year so I guess that's just what I prefer.

I think there are three different Naughty and/or Nice titled movies.  The one with Hilary Burton where she finds the Naughty or Nice List, One with George Lopez where he is a radio dj that encounters a fan that makes him change his ways.  This year there is a new one with Haylie Duff where she is a DJ in a small town who has to work with a shock jock.  I watched the Haylie Duff one and it was horrible.

I prefer older Christmas Tv-movies.. and wish that Hallmark Channel would play more of the classic movies instead of making several sub-par holiday tv movies a year.

While I liked Jennie Garth in Holidaze, my fav xmas tv movie of hers is Secret Santa.  I also love the following holiday tv movies...

A Mom for Christmas

A Smoky Mountain Christmas

The Night They Saved Christmas

The Christmas List

Christmas Everyday

Ebbie

If you Believe

Those are just a few that come to me in an instant that I always make sure to watch at least once.

I really like "Recipe for a Perfect Christmas" and make it a point to find it on Lifetime every year to tape it. I don't know why- it just gets to me.

12 Dates of Christmas is another good one. Mark Paul Gosselar has aged so well.

When are the Ion Christmas movies starting? I actually like some of theirs and feel as if their storylines are better than the Hallmark ones.

• Love 1

Thanks, Aliconehead, for alerting me to the fact that there is a new Haylie Duff Christmas movie this season...one of my favorite new holiday traditions is to pop some popcorn and watch her try to act! 

ION is showing 5 new Christmas movies this year:

A Christmas Mystery (Nov.30th - I think this kicks off ION's holiday programming)

Merry Ex-Mas (Dec.7th)

A Christmas Kiss II (Dec.13th)

A Perfect Christmas List (Dec.14th)

Back to Christmas (Dec. 20th)

I've been enjoying the Hallmark movies.  I'm discovering a few new ones on Hallmark Movie Channel that I have never seen (Our First Christmas and The Christmas Card.  I also end up watching Matchmaker Santa every single time Hallmark Channel plays it (and it seems like it has been on at least ten times this Christmas season).

I enjoyed The 9 Lives of Christmas, but didn't care for A Cookie Cutter Christmas.  While I like the one lead in the movie (the girl from When Calls the Heart), I couldn't stand the rivalry between the two female characters.

North Pole better be the greatest Christmas movie ever made. I have never seen Hallmark promote a movie like they have promoted this one and the constant commercials for this one particular movie are really starting to get on my last nerve.  Of the twelve movies that they're putting out this year, what makes this one so much better that they've blown their entire advertising budget?

I'm so glad this thread exists!  Holiday movies are a weakness of mine and my mom's; it's funny, too, because otherwise we wait until the start of Advent before we even think about decorating or playing Christmas music.

12 Dates of Christmas is another good one. Mark Paul Gosselar has aged so well.

I like that one too, and I'll have to look out for it to record it.  I've DVR'd Nine Lives of Christmas solely because of Linda Holmes's recommendation: http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2014/11/10/363009284/about-the-time-shonda-rhimes-gave-me-a-christmas-cat-intervention.%C2'> I'm glad to see it's a pretty good one.

One of my favorites I can never remember the name of -- it's quite low budget, made in Canada I think, and it's about a young woman with no family who helps an aging millionaire do secret charitable works for people.  I like it so much because the inevitable romance she has is secondary, the plot primarily being about how helping other people gives her focus and meaning.  So many Christmas movies seem to think that the true meaning of Christmas is to get a man, and it's nice to see one where that's not the most important thing.

• Love 1

One of my favorites I can never remember the name of -- it's quite low budget, made in Canada I think, and it's about a young woman with no family who helps an aging millionaire do secret charitable works for people.  I like it so much because the inevitable romance she has is secondary, the plot primarily being about how helping other people gives her focus and meaning.  So many Christmas movies seem to think that the true meaning of Christmas is to get a man, and it's nice to see one where that's not the most important thing.

Christmas Angel from 2009. Something else nice about that one is that the ending skips ahead a year so even the romantic part isn't just a rushed happy ending/falling in love. 

• Love 1

I recorded North Pole as I was out last night. When I got home this morning I turned it on and watched the first half hour or so. I actually really liked what I saw. The commercials made me think the whole movie takes place in the North Pole which is not the case. I'm anxious to finish watching it but Sunday is such a busy tv day for me so I'm not sure when I'll be able to catch the rest of it.

I watched "Dear Secret Santa" last night on Lifetime and I'm so confused at how the guy came back from the dead or if she hit her head and the whole thing was a dream from an accident. Holiday movies shouldn't leave me wondering what just happened. lol

• LOL 1

I watched North Pole and it was pretty good.  It sure had a lot of hype to it.  I guess it lived up to it somewhat, although it did seem like there would be lots of North Pole setting and it didn't.  So not much Mr. and Mrs. Klaus was shown considering they were trying to save Christmas. It also Bailee (sp?) was great as Clementine but the young boy was the weakest link (for me at least).  I'd watch it again but it's not a must go to movie for me.  They sure are advertising buying the dvd now and they are advertising North Pole 2, lol.

I finally watched North Pole.  It was a cute movie, but no better than the other movies this year (I think the 9 Lives of Christmas was my favorite movie so far).  Since there are so many movies and they start so early, I wish they would throw in a few more Thanksgiving themed movies.  

I finally watched North Pole.  It was a cute movie, but no better than the other movies this year (I think the 9 Lives of Christmas was my favorite movie so far).  Since there are so many movies and they start so early, I wish they would throw in a few more Thanksgiving themed movies.  

Thanksgiving-themed would be good. Also more Chanukah/Hanukkah movies. There was the one combo Chanukah/Christmas with Joey Lawrence recently, but that is it. With all the Jews in Hollywood, you'd think there could be a few more. It is a holiday about a miracle - should be easy to have romance stories.

Speaking of that movie with Joey Lawerence, it was on last night. I've seen it before but that's one ai enjoy anytime it comes on. I like how the Grandma shows up at the door after being close to comatose in the nursing home ready to party.

Didn't ABC family do one with a similar plot? Holiday in Handcuffs, which I like, seems to follow a similar plot line.

I finally finished North Pole and thought it was a really cute movie. I liked the teacher character the best and thought the Clementine character was super cute. I was surprised to see them promoting a second movie. They must have had a lot of faith in this one however, I guess they ditch Tiffani Theisan in favor of Laurie McLauchlin?

I really liked Hitched for the Holidays (the Joey Lawrence one) and am happy that it's on the DVR to watch again this year. Haven't seen all of Northpole but agree that the teacher and Clementine are the highlights so far.

Yay, this thread!  I am a Christmas-movie-loving-Jew so will have to look for the Joey Lawrence one.  This is indeed the most wonderful time of the year, especially since Hallmark started airing these, like, a month ago.  I have not checked Lifetime out yet but plan to.

I re-watched The Nine Lives of Christmas last night and also caught the end of A Cookie Cutter Christmas which was OK.   Then I started All I Want for Christmas which looked promising but I was tired...I'll catch the end the next time it's on or what not. 

Getting some other ideas upthread, woohoo thanks.

Oh, and The Christmas Shepherd looks like it will be good. 

Edited by zivadanielle
  • Love 1

Yay, this thread!  I am a Christmas-movie-loving-Jew so will have to look for the Joey Lawrence one.  This is indeed the most wonderful time of the year, especially since Hallmark started airing these, like, a month ago.  I have not checked Lifetime out yet but plan too.

I re-watched The Nine Lives of Christmas last night and also caught the end of A Cookie Cutter Christmas which was OK.   Then I started All I Want for Christmas which looked promising but I was tired...I'll catch the end the next time it's on or what not. 

Getting some other ideas upthread, woohoo thanks.

Oh, and The Christmas Shepherd looks like it will be good. 

Awesome. Another Christmas-movie-loving Jew. But don't you agree there is so much untapped potential for some Chanukah movies? I feel like it could lend itself so well to storylines.

• Love 2

Lacey Chabert is in another movie this weekend. I tend to like her movies so will give it a try- haven't seen a royal themed Christmas movie since "princess for Christmas".

That is why I agree that Chanukah movies should be made more- Christmas movies tend to have the same theme every year. Maybe that's why I liked Nine Lives so much- it had the Hallmark theme but the cat stuff and living together that turned into feelings was nice to see. I'm sick of the instant love connection after 2 days crap.

• Love 1
Awesome. Another Christmas-movie-loving Jew. But don't you agree there is so much untapped potential for some Chanukah movies? I feel like it could lend itself so well to storylines.

What is it with us Jewish Christmas movie lovers?  I definitely think that a Chanukah movie would go over well.  Not one like Hitched for the Holidays in which one of the characters is Jewish, but a real Chanukah themed-movie.  I can actually imagine some sort of countdown of the eight days.  On the first day she meets the guy, on the eighth day they are in love.  Of course at the hour and a half mark (sixth day?) there will be some sort of crisis.

• Love 1

What is it with us Jewish Christmas movie lovers?  I definitely think that a Chanukah movie would go over well.  Not one like Hitched for the Holidays in which one of the characters is Jewish, but a real Chanukah themed-movie.  I can actually imagine some sort of countdown of the eight days.  On the first day she meets the guy, on the eighth day they are in love.  Of course at the hour and a half mark (sixth day?) there will be some sort of crisis.

OMG this would be a great idea for a movie. 

On a somewhat tenuously related note, I did see that Lifetime is airing The Red Tent soon.  

I think we just like the cheesy, romantic movies and there are always a lot more when the channels are making Christmas movies. I was thinking of a similar storyline with the 8 days. Plus, there is always a lot related to Christmas miracles. Chanukah is all about miracles, so similar storylines could totally be used. 

Yeah, Hitched for the Holidays wasn't really Chanukah themed. Although I did laugh out loud/jaw dropped when Joey Lawrence blew out the Chanukah candles. I vaguely remember one other mixed movie, but I cannot remember the name.

I enjoyed the Signed, Sealed, Delivered Christmas movie.  Sometimes holiday specials of regular series seem to just be plopped down without moving the series along at all.  But in the movie Oliver told Marley that he had sent a letter to his wife and that his wife never responded.  Plus Oliver and Shane kissed!  The movie was, of course, hokey and unbelievable, but that didn't bother me at all.

Watched The Christmas Shepherd last night on Hallmark.  Not sure when I've been so incredibly annoyed and frustrated by a tv movie, like, ever.  I'm not a pet person (allergic) so I don't know if that affected my not being able to see both sides, but I just kept yelling at the tv, "Give the lady her dog back!".  I mean, really.  This guy and his daughter had her dog for two weeks.  Two. Weeks.  Buddy was cleary a well-cared for, well-mannered, trained dog.  The owner was clearly overjoyed at hearing the Buddy had been found.  What's the hold up on giving Buddy back?  Even before she went into Buddy's history with her deceased husband I was on her side.  When the aunt was all, "Oh, the dog's been adopted", I was like Huh? That's it?  And then the owner's papers checked out and they still waffled on what to do and I was all Huh? again.  It was just a stupid premise and I was eye-rolling left and right, which was too bad because the acting was good for the most part (wasn't crazy about the daughter at times), the movie overall looked good (sometimes these movies are so low budget I want to send them a check), but man, did that script let them down big time.

On another note, though, I thought A Royal Christmas was adorably cheesy and I was expecting to not like it.  Sure it was a ripoff of The Prince and Me, Christmas-style, with some Princess Diaries, thrown in for good measure, but I thought it had a goofy, sweet charm to it, as predictable as it was (who didn't see the Poppy adoption coming, I mean, really).  Lacey Chabert can be hit or miss for me, but I thought both she and the male lead were cute together.  Expectations were low and they came out ahead, can't ask for much more than that, I guess.

Edited by JenMD
  • Love 1

My three favorite live action Christmas movies are National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, One Special Night(with James Garner and Julie Andrews) and Scrooged. When it comes to kids Christmas films I am a huge fan of A Muppet Christmas Carol and Rankin-Bass Rudolph. I know Santa is a douche but I just love the bumble and Yukon Cornelius. 

• Love 2

I agree about both.  I was screaming give the dog back the whole time the other family had it too.  Unfortunately, I have read articles about this essentially happening in real life.  One was a neighbor sold someone else dog on Craigslist, and the original owners offered to buy him back but the people who bought him refused.  It happens more then you would think.

I also liked A Royal Christmas.  It was light hearted and had a lot of charm in my opinion