Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday TV Movies & (Non-Rankin Bass) Holiday Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I watched The Road to Christmas with Jennifer Grey and Clark Gregg the other day.  It was...not good.  Even for a Christmas movie, it's so paint-by-numbers obvious and it just fell flat.  Considering that they're married IRL, it was cute at times, but not worth another watch.

Does anyone else watch the Ovation channel's Battle of the Nutcrackers?  I can't complain much since I didn't vote this year, but I wasn't thrilled with the final choice.  The 2008 version with the Royal Opera House performing at Covent Garden is my top choice.

Saw Christmas Vacation on ABC Family.  Oddly enough, they left in some of the dirty language like "cocked up" and most of Clark's angry speech (no actual swear words, though), but they bleeped anything related to alcohol.  The "I got a lot of help from Jack Daniels" line was cut.  I wonder if it's a licensing thing.

The shoes only really belonged to NPH's mother (NPH playing the grown up version of the boy in the first Christmas Shoes movie, which I didn't see.) The dad of the kid who NPH coaches for basketball found the shoes in the donation bin a the church (where NPH's dad put them when he was getting rid of his deceased wife's stuff) and used them to make up a story about the kid's mom- she died in a car accident after having left the kid and his dad, but the dad kept telling stories about the glamorous life she was leading (she was a dancer, etc.) so he didn't have to tell the kid that his mom was gone forever. I wasn't watching closely enough to determine if NPH's character realized that Rob Lowe's character was the guy who helped him buy the shoes for his dying mom eighteen years ago, though.That was a peculiar plot tie-in between the movies.

Thank you so much, St. Claire!  That makes sense.  I think Rob Lowe told him that he helped purchase the shoes many years ago -- but I agree, it was a peculiar scene to introduce.  I kept thinking Rob Lowe was going to turn out to be an angel.  (It is Hallmark, after all!)  

Another huge favorite is The Snowman.  I had never heard about this until a few years ago.  I think it was a production out of Great Britian, maybe from the mid-80's.  It's about a boy who builds a snowman, and that night dreams about it coming to life.  It eventually flies him to the North Pole for a snowman party where Santa shows up.  The intro narration by David Bowie, and the animation and music is just incredibly gorgeous.

Sprout ran this Saturday night, and a friend and I watched it.  I'd never seen it before, although I had read the book.  Don't remember any narration, but yes, the animation is stunning and very book-like (if you know what I mean) and the music is so atmospheric.  It's the anti-Frosty, really, with its understated take on snowman/child adventures and its bittersweet ending; very, very English, in fact.

• Love 1

I was home babysitting today so I browsed through my DVR and found Our First Christmas from Hallmark.  It was billed as a widow and widower getting together for Christmas with John Ratzenberger and Dixie Carter as the stars.  Well lo and behold they were just peripheral characters and the real story was about their children's and grandchildren's first Christmas as a family.  It was a pretty good movie.

I've spent most of the day searching for Its Christmas Carol or Christmas Carol with Carrie Fisher but no luck.  I thought I might be able to DVR it whenever it is on but it's not showing up.  Does anyone know when it will be on again and what channel?  Thanks in advance.

NYGirl ~ Its called: It's Christmas, Carol! from 2012 and she plays Eve.

"The story of driven, heartless, publishing executive, Carol Huffman, who on Christmas eve is visited by the ghost of her former boss, Eve. Eve tells Carol that she has lost sight of the things that are truly important in life and that she is there to show her the errors of her ways. Eve explains that normally there would be three ghosts for the job but due to budget cut backs she is in charge of Carol's journey through her past, present and future."

Sounds good but I couldn't find it but for used DVDs.

Watching Kelly Clarkson's Xmas special from last year (I never saw it.)  She can bring the snark.  

Then they showed Robin Williams and I had that sad moment where The Crazy Ones should have lasted longer and more importantly,that Robin was still here. :(

• Love 1

I will publicly declare that I miss when PBS would run the old classic Andy Williams Christmas specials. It was fun to see The Osmonds when Donnie was wee, and Andy Williams's brothers in their green and red costumes. Very nostalgic regarding costumes and staging, but the songs were beautiful.

And, PBS would run the old Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby Christmas specials. I miss those. Kathryn and the kids, all dressed up for the show.  Sigh.

• Love 3
I've spent most of the day searching for Its Christmas Carol or Christmas Carol with Carrie Fisher but no luck.  I thought I might be able to DVR it whenever it is on but it's not showing up.  Does anyone know when it will be on again and what channel?

I saw it on Hallmark's OnDemand channel with TimeWarner. It shows up on the listings as "Christmas Carol."

• Love 1

I just watched A Perfect Christmas List yesterday recovering from the flu (fun times). No one else seems to have mentioned it, but I thought it was very cute and enjoyable. One of the ones that focuses more on family with a little romance on the side. I think it avoided most of the annoying tropes, mostly. I'll probably keep it on my DVR.

The animated Grinch will be on ABC on Christmas night, I think at 8:00. (They will follow it with the Jim Carrey movie.)

Everybody now… "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch… You really are a heel…"

I'm okay with the Who stuff, but don't be a d-ck to the dog.

• Love 1

The problem I had with the Perfect Christmas List was that the main character was so annoying and tell it all with how she commented on what people ate. None of your business how people buy groceries or eat processed food. Plus, no one in their town donated to their children's shelter so they just ate hot dogs for dinner? Please! I only sat through it because the actor was on Greek.

Time to watch 12 Men of Christmas!

The Twelve Days of Christmas start with Christmas day and end on the 6th of January.  So why do all the Christmas movies  pretty much end with the 25th of December?  Now is when I'm off work, relaxed on the couch, got my new munchies and comfy slippers, ready for some light formulaic fantasy. And what do I have? Endless marathons of Criminal Minds and action movies. I might have pvr'd a few movies along the way but you can't catch them all (nor do you want to). But after reading some of the "reviews" on this thread I'd like to try to catch a few of them. Hey programmers - you've got me until at least the day after New Years Day so why not try to keep that spirit going instead of blowing up the transformers or whatever else it is you have on that I'm not watching. I'm not done all my shopping or visiting... you've got lots of time to make me want to venture into the mall again.

Edited by kb3
  • Love 1

I think the Hallmark channels are continuing holiday films until January 1.  I agree, I have more time to watch television after December 25th!  Europe still has the Twelve Days of Christmas, but in the USA, the month leading up to Christmas has become more of a celebration that the twelve days after it.  It's hard to find a good Epiphany celebration over here, but they are around...

I saw "Angels Sing" (original title, "When Angels Sing"), and really loved its emotions and wacky cameos by so many music stars (on the doorstep of the main character, not on stage).  Harry Connick Jr. and Connie Britton carry this film; and Willie Nelson is the star, although he is only in a few scenes, but spectacular as a mysterious character whose true nature is revealed at the end.  (Look closely at his jacket as he turns away in his final scene, and at the main character's childhood movie at the end.) 

Also saw two older films that I can't believe I had never seen -- "Holiday Affair" and "Connecticut Christmas", which are minor films for their stars, but perfect for the holidays. 

I caught A Bride for Christmas, starring Arielle Kiebbel and hunky Canadian actor Andrew Walker. It's about a man who bets his friend the corner office that he can get a woman to accept his proposal in a few weeks in time for Christmas. However, when he chooses Arielle, he discovers that Arielle has already had three failed proposals where she ran out on the groom. So basically, She's All That Meets Runaway Bride.

It was actually pretty good- Arielle managed to elevate the fluffy material when she could, and she injected life and personality into her character, and Andrew Walker continued being hot. I recomend looking it up if you guys have the chance.

On the other hand, I absolutely struggled through A Princess for Christmas. Oh my god. Sam Heughan dressed up posh was not enough to offet Katie McGrath's complete lack of charisma and acting ability. She was bad- not just in a Tori Spelling "so bad it's fun" way, but just flat out bad. It was such a waste of Sam Heughan to be paired with such lifeless cardboard.

I was kinda disapointed that I didn't catch Comfort and Joy, where Jo from the Facts of Life wakes up in a world where she's changed from a businesswoman to a frumpy housewife with a pastor husband or whatever the hell it was he did to be poor enough to be called poor but still have a lovely Craftsman house.

I also didn't catch that "Hey, Let's Imagine the March Sisters in Present Day Celebrating Christmas!" one. They really should have told Julie Marie Berman that she was supposed to look at Justin Breuning like a brother, not like she wanted to bang the hell out of him. I really honestly though they were going to go with Jo and Teddy together.

Edited by methodwriter85

Wouldn't you look at Justin Breuning that way? I don't blame her. I thought the two of them had great chemistry and wouldn't have minded them getting together. I liked that movie.

Caught Christmas Angels about a girl that was wishing for miracles for people in her class by asking a haunted house, and it ended up being some former singer in that house who was granting some of the wishes. It had Kevin Sorbo in it and wasn't half bad.

I absolutely loved Christmas with Holly. I cried a lot, and and loved the relationship with Holly and her uncles.

I know I'm late to the party, but I enjoyed "How Murray Saved Christmas". It was just sweet enough, but had a bit of a bite- like a nice honey mustard.  The fact that Dennis Haysbert and Jerry Stiller were big players tickled me to bits!

I must now watch this every holiday season! Not too schmoopy, fun characters showing up, and songs!

Edited by WendyCR72
Edited to add show being talked about.
  • Love 1

So where should we discuss the continuous onslaught of Hallmark movies now that we're in the "kickoff to Valentine's Day?"

I would hope we could do so here. 

For instance, I was surprised by "Surprised by Love."  I felt it was one of the better recent films.  It helps that neither leads were wooden. 

We can start a new topic on TV movies- I don't think there is one yet. Or we can continue it here since V day is a holiday like you suggested.

I also loved Surprised by Love, but more for the family dynamic and showing the lead interact with them. It was a nice change.

The lead in A Novel Romance was annoying so I couldn't enjoy it. She kept testing the guy and got mad that he lied about who he was, etc. She was so irritating that I couldn't understand why a talented, rich guy would be attracted to her. I loved Amy Acker in "Dear Santa" so it wasn't her acting- more the character.

Edited by twoods

Hi, everyone! To answer the question about Valentine's movies and such, I figure "Holiday TV Movies", part of this thread title, can encompass more than Christmas and consolidate thread space. So, by all means, discuss the sap-fests here! (Even if Valentine's Day isn't technically a holiday. Bah!)

Carry on!

Hi, everyone! To answer the question about Valentine's movies and such, I figure "Holiday TV Movies", part of this thread title, can encompass more than Christmas and consolidate thread space. So, by all means, discuss the sap-fests here! (Even if Valentine's Day isn't technically a holiday. Bah!)

The problem is that Hallmark continuously releases movies even if there isn't a holiday.  I wonder if Hallmark shouldn't have its own thread.  Or maybe we just ignore the holiday part.

Do Hallmark and other of those networks release a slew of V day movies like they do at Xmas?

Hallmark is releasing quite a few but not as many from around Christmas.  During the height of the Christmas season, they would have new movies on Hallmark and Hallmark Movies and Mysteries every weekend.  Hallmark got the Saturday debuts and HMM got the Sunday movies.  I think leading up to Valentine's Day, it's only one new movie a week.  And so far, they haven't been 'themed' around the holiday (if the past two movies should be considered as part of the promotion) whereas every movie around the holidays had some aspect of Christmas in it.

The lead in A Novel Romance was annoying so I couldn't enjoy it.

I agree.  I like Amy Acker too but the character was too paranoid.  Plus, the male lead didn't really spark for me in any way.

@Irlandesa brought up a valid point about Hallmark since it produces so many movies not during Christmas or whatever.

So I gave Hallmark its own thread. Come the holidays again, there may be overlap with the Holiday TV movie thread, but with the sheer volume, I figure a new thread is worth it for the tons of movies not relating to Santa Claus!

So, enjoy! Any questions or comments, just ask.

Wow, so many Christmas movies in July on Hallmark, both channels -- is this an annual event, or something they are trying out this July?  It just feels odd! 

Wow, so many Christmas movies in July on Hallmark, both channels -- is this an annual event, or something they are trying out this July?  It just feels odd! 

I don't know if this is an annual event, but I remember last year they started showing only Christmas movies in November, & didn't stop until January. And when I say only, I mean only. I didn't watch them the whole time.

It is their official "Christmas in July" shindig. Whatever you want to call it. I for one, love Christmas movies so I'm not complaining though I see why others may not care for "Christmas in July". I am not actually sure how the schedule works but it seems like they play Christmas movies from 2pm-11pm daily and then towards the end of July they will unveil their newest keepsake ornament and Christmas movie for the holiday season. 

I don't know if this is an annual event, but I remember last year they started showing only Christmas movies in November, & didn't stop until January.

Yes, I remember last December, which was the first time I had tuned into this channel in the holiday season.  I don't mind all the Christmas movies in December -- nice to have something seasonal available 24/7.  (!!!)

It is their official "Christmas in July" shindig. Whatever you want to call it. I for one, love Christmas movies so I'm not complaining though I see why others may not care for "Christmas in July".

I'm not even complaining, just mostly wondering!  And I caught a few minutes of some movies I had partly seen last December.  Thanks for clarifying! 

They did the Christmas in July last year but I felt like it lasted longer.  This year, this weekend is the last of the Christmas movies.  There's a new Lacey Chabert movie this Saturday. 

• Love 1

I wish they'd at least shift the Christmas movie season, starting later and extending into January, at least January 6.  I know I'm an outlier in this country, but I make a distinction between Advent and Christmas.  Of course, I can just record a bunch of movies and then see them when I want, but that takes planning.  Plus sometimes I just like to flip to a channel and watch a movie while I putter around the house.

• Love 1

Last year I started a thread that was intended to be the "Holiday TV Movies & Specials" thread, but I started it with Christmas in July and was going to change the title to a general Holiday season title post-July.  Later on last year I saw that this thread had popped up and so I gave up on my original thread as there was no point in two threads about the same thing!  Lol.

Anyway, I am a sucker for made-for-TV Christmas movies, particularly the Hallmark movies.  I have no problem with the movies starting on Halloween.  I have no problem with the marathon running for 2 months.  I have no problem with the all day/all night schedule (with the exception of "Home & Family" every weekday).  I have no problem with the multiple repeats of the movies, as it gives me more chances to see my favorites (as well as the new movies) at times that are convenient for me.  I have no problem with the same actors and stories popping up time and time again.  I love it all, and have no problem admitting to this guilty pleasure.

Lifetime used to have a few good Christmas movies every year, but last year I don't know what happened to them.  The plots of the movies seemed totally uninteresting to me, and I am not that picky!  

ABC Family used to have a few good movies every year, but now they may only premiere one or two new ones and they are lackluster. 

Even channels like UP, ION and Insp have gotten into the Christmas movie game, and I watch some of those too.

But Hallmark is the clear leader in original TV holiday fare, blanketing two channels with a full line-up of 'round-the-clock seasonal programming for 2 months.  This year they are even outdoing themselves, premiering not 12 or 13 new movies (like they used to do), but 19 new holiday movies on the main Hallmark Channel, and another 3 new movies on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries!!!!!  They have 18 movies that are part of the official Countdown to Christmas -- http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/christmas/sneak-preview -- as well as a 2-hour "When Calls the Heart" holiday special/Season 3 sneak peek.  Five of these 19 new movies will premiere on 5 consecutive nights during Thanksgiving week, which is a new thing Hallmark is trying.

People who are viewers of the Hallmark movies will recognize many of the faces in the upcoming dizzying array of movies on the two channels, as they have been in previous Hallmark movies (as well as in many other things):  Candace Cameron Bure, Alicia Witt, Katrina Law, Rachel Boston, Lori Loughlin, Sarah Lancaster, Julie Benz, Paul Campbell, Andrew Walker, David Sutcliffe, Danica McKellar, Eloise Mumford, Allison Sweeney, Faith Ford and Cameron Mathison. 

Since Lacey Chabert was in the new Christmas movie that debuted in July, as well as a Countdown to Valentine's Day movie back in February, I am guessing there was no need to put her in a second Christmas movie this year.   I would not be shocked if she turns up in a movie for UP, though.

Also seemingly missing from this season's holiday bonanza are Hallmark stalwarts Autumn Reeser and Teri Polo -- but Autumn and Teri were each in Hallmark wedding movies in June, and Autumn also did a Countdown to Valentine's Day movie earlier this year so I guess they have met their Hallmark quota for 2015.  Hallmark favorite Kellie Martin did a Countdown to Valentine's Day movie this year, as well as a movie for the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel that aired last weekend, so I am guessing that she's out of the Christmas line-up this year too.  Arielle Kebbel and Hilarie Burton (two popular Hallmark actresses) each appeared in Hallmark movies early this year (January), and I guess they will not be in any of the Christmas movies this season.

New this year is a Hallmark movie with an actual celebrity -- Mariah Carey. (???)  I'm not sure how that's going to work out, but we shall see.  Dermot Mulroney is also in a movie.

Also, two very popular Hallmark Christmas movies from 2013 -- "Snow Bride" and "Let It Snow" (with Katrina Law and Candace Cameron Bure, respectively) -- are now available for pre-order on DVD ("Snow Bride" can be purchased on Walmart's website, and "Let It Snow" can be ordered on Amazon).

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

I follow a site called It's a Wonderful Movie, which keeps up with all of the new movies (any holiday movies as well) coming to multiple channels or to DVD, with a heavy emphasis on Hallmark movies.  So, from the IAWM site...

Lifetime has released the names and synopses of its 7 new Christmas movies (and one Thanksgiving movie) for this year.  Click on each title in the article for more info:

http://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com/2015/10/lifetimes-very-merry-christmas-2015.html

Last year something was very 'off' with Lifetime's Christmas movies.  In 2013 they seemed to be making a real effort to compete with Hallmark, but in 2014 they seemed to go astray.  Now it looks as if Lifetime is back on track.  They've even got some familiar Hallmark movie actors in a couple of the movies.

Also from IAWM... There are at least 5 new Christmas movies coming to the UP channel this year (maybe one or two more that have yet to be announced).   Has anyone ever watched a movie on UP?   They're like Hallmark movies (some of the same actors), but a bit more cheaply made and with a heavier emphasis on faith.   Click on titles for more info:

http://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com/2015/10/more-christmas-movies-are-up-coming.html

Similar in tone to UP is the INSP channel.  INSP usually cranks out at least 2 new Christmas movies every year.  This is not the full list of new INSP holiday fare, but they are airing Christmas in the Smokies, starring Sarah Lancaster (who has been in Hallmark and Lifetime movies):

http://www.insp.com/movies/christmas-in-the-smokies/

And, in case anyone hasn't been keeping track of the Hallmark Channel's ever-changing list of Christmas movies, this is what is coming up for the Countdown to Christmas this year:

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/christmas/schedule

And on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel, their Most Wonderful Movies of Christmas will feature 4 new movies:

http://www.hallmarkmoviesandmysteries.com/the-most-wonderful-movies-of-christmas/schedule

So... what seems to be missing is info on whether or not ABC Family (soon to be Freeform) will present a new movie or two this year.  Sometimes they seem to put on 2 new ones in a season, and sometimes only 1 new one.   Last year's new movie -- I can't even remember what it was called -- was so uninteresting or forgettable that it made me wonder if they, too, were throwing in the towel on the Christmas movie front.

Also, the ION network usually makes several new movies for the holiday season -- last year they put out a whole press release about it -- but there has been no word thus far about what their holiday movie plans are for this year.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1
Also from IAWM... There are at least 5 new Christmas movies coming to the UP channel this year (maybe one or two more that have yet to be announced).   Has anyone ever watched a movie on UP?   They're like Hallmark movies (some of the same actors), but a bit more cheaply made and with a heavier emphasis on faith.   Click on titles for more info:

http://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com/2015/10/more-christmas-movies-are-up-coming.html

Similar in tone to UP is the INSP channel.  INSP usually cranks out at least 2 new Christmas movies every year.  This is not the full list of new INSP holiday fare, but they are airing Christmas in the Smokies, starring Sarah Lancaster (who has been in Hallmark and Lifetime movies):

http://www.insp.com/movies/christmas-in-the-smokies/

UP and INSP both tend to be more faith based which is not something that normally draws me in.  But they also tend to be more diverse than their Hallmark counterparts so I usually end up checking out one or two. 

Is Hallmark Movies and Mysteries doing fewer this year? 

I used to love ABC Family's.  ABC Family and Lifetime got a little sexier.

UP and INSP both tend to be more faith based which is not something that normally draws me in.  But they also tend to be more diverse than their Hallmark counterparts so I usually end up checking out one or two. 

Is Hallmark Movies and Mysteries doing fewer this year? 

I used to love ABC Family's.  ABC Family and Lifetime got a little sexier.

I know what you mean.  I don't like a real heavy-handed approach to faith and religion in Christmas movies.  I don't mind if there is a hint of something -- or I don't mind it if the faith plays some sort of integral role in the story -- but often times it can feel a bit too preachy.

My main issue with the UP and INSP movies is that they often bore me.  Even if they have actors in them that I like in Hallmark movies (like Lacey Chabert, for example), I find myself bored.  Hallmark movies are not particularly high-budget films, but UP's movies are even more low budget, if that is possible.  The fake snow we see in Hallmark movies looks even more fake in UP movies!

However, as you said, there is more diversity in UP's movies than in Hallmark's, which is a good thing.  Lifetime has a bit more diversity too.   And, every so often, UP will put out a mildly entertaining movie.  I think it was UP that aired Christmas in Palm Springs last year, which had some funny moments but was completely ruined when Patrick Muldoon became a rock star at the end of it.

Hallmark Movies & Mysteries has so few movies in comparison to the regular Hallmark Channel.  One of the HMM movies was supposed to be on the regular channel, but it moved over to HMM instead (Dashing Through the Snow).  I think that last year HMM (whcih was then called the Hallmark Movie Channel) had 3 new movies.

ABC Family seems to have really just given up on making new movies -- or, at least last year it seemed that way.  They had some really cute movies at one point -- Snowglobe, for one, and The Mistle-Tones -- but I don't know what happened last year. 

It's funny -- I guess we can use Hallmark movies as the base line, or the example to use when comparing other movies.  For instance, we can say that, to an extent, ABC Family movies, UP movies, INSP movies, ION movies and LIfetime movies are all similar to Hallmark movies at their core (predictable, happy endings, familiar actors and storylines, breezy holiday romances, mischievous Santas and elves, etc.), BUT with a few differences.  In Lifetime movies and ABC Family movies, the lead actors may just end up in bed together at some point, and you may hear the words "damn" or "hell."    In UP and INSP movies, there may be a strong faith element...and lot of really, realllllly fake-looking snow.   In ION movies, you'll probably see Patrick Muldoon more often, and you may hear "damn" or "hell."

Edited by Sherry67

The ION channel's ears must have been burning after I mentioned here yesterday that we still don't know what their new holiday movie line-up will be (we have the info for Lifetime, Hallmark, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries and UP, as well as one new movie on the INSP channel).

Here is the list of the new ION Christmas movies for this year:

http://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com/2015/10/ion-announces-new-christmas-movies-for.html

(The ever-present Patrick Muldoon rears his head in movies for both UP and ION this year!)

So, now, all that is really left, I suppose, is for ABC Family to announce its schedule, which may or may not include one new holiday movie.  TCM usually has a holiday schedule too.

Edited by Sherry67

The ION channel's ears must have been burning after I mentioned here yesterday that we still don't know what their new holiday movie line-up will be (we have the info for Lifetime, Hallmark, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries and UP, as well as one new movie on the INSP channel).

Here is the list of the new ION Christmas movies for this year:

http://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com/2015/10/ion-announces-new-christmas-movies-for.html

(The ever-present Patrick Muldoon rears his head in movies for both UP and ION this year!)

So, now, all that is really left, I suppose, is for ABC Family to announce its schedule, which may or may not include one new holiday movie.  TCM usually has a holiday schedule too.

I wish the Prince was hot. Oh, well.

I feel terrible for Patrick Muldoon at how terribly he aged. (Probably also very bad plastic surgery.) Ion seems to be keeping the guy employed. Days sure as hell isn't interested in him.

The Christmas Truce seems a little different than what they normally do there. Could be interesting.

I notice that Aaron O'Connell is in the Prince for Christmas movie too.  Aaron O'Connell is doing double duty on the Christmas movie circuit this year (much like Patrick Muldoon!).  Aaron is also in a new Hallmark Christmas movie.  Maybe Aaron will join Dean Cain and Patrick Muldoon as the Kings of Christmas Movies.

Patrick Muldoon seems to have popped up in at least 2 Christmas movies per year, for each of the last 2 or 3 years.  He hasn't quite reached Dean Cain status as far as that goes, but he is making progress.  Then again, Dean Cain is in another Christmas movie or two this year as well, so that is a train that can't be stopped.

I remember when Patrick used to date Tori Spelling and also Denise Richards.  So it's interesting that his ION Christmas movie this year also stars Denise Richards!  His new UP Christmas movie starts Dina Meyer, who he also did a Christmas movie with last year too!  

Interestingly -- and here is an odd hookup -- Patrick also apparently dated Juliette Binoche for several years!  Isn't that a strange pairing?  I guess that in my small mind, I can't envision a scenario in which Juliette Binoche and Patrick Muldoon would have even met, let alone connected and had a full-fledged relationship.  It just seems like they would have run in totally different circles.  And yet they were together longer than he was with Tori or Denise, so I guess it was quite serious.

One of the links I posted here a couple of days ago led to a list of 5 new Christmas movies from the UP network.  That list has been UPdated (see what I did there?).  Apparently UP will now have 7 new movies.  Here is the new list:

http://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com/2015/10/up-announces-new-christmas-movies-for.html

I'm looking forward to the movie with Tom Arnold -- he is always a hoot.  I imagine that he probably despises doing these Christmas movies, but he always delivers what I expect from Tom Arnold.

Edited by Sherry67

Too many Christmas movies means the quality will suffer. Give me the days where each channel did 1 or 2 Xmas movies a year.

I know what you mean, and it is certainly possible that it can happen that way.   I know that not all of the movies will be winners, and there will likely be some clunkers in the bunch.   However, I look at it as... the more movies there are to choose from, the greater the chances of finding a few new ones that I really like.  The group that Hallmark put together last year had a few really good ones in the bunch, and others I did not like at all.    I expect this year to be similar -- a few that I really like, and several that are just so-so, and a few that I don't like at all.  I look forward to seeing what they give us this year, and seeing if my early assumptions about what will be good or bad end up being correct, or if I find myself liking something I didn't expect to like.

I know that not all of the movies will be winners, and there will likely be some clunkers in the bunch.   However, I look at it as... the more movies there are to choose from, the greater the chances of finding a few new ones that I really like. 

That's how I see it too.  It's not like it's one creative team being spread thin.   It's multiple casts and multiple creative teams with mutiple budgets. It's also unlikely that there's one "budget" pool and if the give ten movies one million dollars that they'd give one movie ten million dollars if they only made one.  Their audience is likely their audience.  Some movies may be seen more than others but likely not drastically so for most.  It's their version of a television series.

• Love 1

Did anyone see the Halloween-themed movie You Cast a Spell on Me that aired on ION tv on Sunday? I just managed to DVR a repeat of it after my mom noticed it while flipping through channels and texted me that it seemed like something I normally watch. 

We all watch cheesy Christmas movies- none of us have the right to judge!

I'm looking forward to the 12 Gifts of Christmas because I love Katrina Law. Besides kicking ass on Arrow, she was also great in Snow Bride.

• Love 3

That's how I see it too.  It's not like it's one creative team being spread thin.   It's multiple casts and multiple creative teams with mutiple budgets. It's also unlikely that there's one "budget" pool and if the give ten movies one million dollars that they'd give one movie ten million dollars if they only made one.  Their audience is likely their audience.  Some movies may be seen more than others but likely not drastically so for most.  It's their version of a television series.

I look at this Countdown to Christmas event as a Hallmark series.  As you said, it's their version of one.  In fact, if we look at each new movie as an "episode" of a season of a series, then they are actually giving us more episodes in a season than some actual TV series give us!  Plenty of series these days don't have 17 episodes in a season -- and even if they only have 8 episodes in a season, or 13 episodes, they may stretch them out over 4 months.  We're basically getting 17 episodes of a series in 2 months, which is pretty good.

Did anyone see the Halloween-themed movie You Cast a Spell on Me that aired on ION tv on Sunday? I just managed to DVR a repeat of it after my mom noticed it while flipping through channels and texted me that it seemed like something I normally watch. 

I have it saved on my DVR, and am going to try to watch it and clear it off before the onslaught of Christmas movies begins this coming Friday night!

We all watch cheesy Christmas movies- none of us have the right to judge!

I'm looking forward to the 12 Gifts of Christmas because I love Katrina Law. Besides kicking ass on Arrow, she was also great in Snow Bride.

I'm with you on looking forward to "12 Gifts..."!  It's one of the ones I am really, really hoping turns out to be good, just because I loved Snow Bride so much!  Even if it turns out to be fine/so-so, that will be better than if it's awful.  I just don't want it to be awful. 

Of the new Hallmark movies, I will watch all of them, of course, but I think the ones I am most looking forward to are:

Charming Christmas -- For some reason, I think that Julie Benz and David Sutcliffe would make a good onscreen couple -- I hope I'm right.  I find him very attractive.

I'm Not Ready for Christmas (formerly titled The Truth About Christmas) -- I like Alicia Witt in these movies.  She fits in well enough with the Hallmark "type" and template, but I think she has a bit of an edge to her, and she has a good sense of humor.  She's not squeaky clean, but she still works well in the movies.

Once Upon a Holiday -- I love Paul Campbell in his other Hallmark movies.  He's funny, and that goes a long way. 

12 Gifts of Christmas -- Please be even half as good as Snow Bride!  Glad to see Katrina Law back in Hallmark Land.

A Christmas Melody -- At first, when I thought that Mariah Carey was going to be the star of the movie, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it.  Now that I know that Lacey Chabert and Brennan Elliott are the stars, I am looking forward to it.  I loved them together in All of My Heart, from earlier this year, so I am glad they're being reteamed.

On the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel I am looking forward to Dashing Through the Snow, because Andrew Walker is cute (I have my priorities in order!)!  Cameron Mathison would be the reason I look forward to Murder, She Baked: A Plum Pudding Mystery, because I loved him in The Christmas Ornament

Those are the ones at the top of my "Please Don't Be Awful" list.  Everything else I am keeping an open mind about, but not sure what to expect.

I have to look over the lists of new ION, Lifetime and UP movies again and see if there is anything that looks interesting enough for me to clear off space on the DVR.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1