Type keyword(s) to search

Almost Human - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I like the show. What can I say, you don't chose who you love...

Actually you CAN.  It's just not considered polite to admit it if you do!

Really Almost Human is less a story about the future and more a story about the present of network TV and how they fuck things up.  But its not all on Fox.  The showrunners have actually made excuses for FOX and made ridiculous claims like "it flows better" with the ridiculous episode reordering.  And the WAY they ran with the reordering sucked too--they didn't seem to make any real efforts to fix the mess inside the episodes even AFTER they knew it was going to happen.

• Love 1
Actually you CAN.  It's just not considered polite to admit it if you do!

Nah, I love the show, flaws and all. And like all lovers I wait for the day it will get better. ;)

The WAY they ran with the reordering sucked too--they didn't seem to make any real efforts to fix the mess inside the episodes even AFTER they knew it was going to happen.

I'm not sure how doable is to fix some things after they were shoot. A small scene here and there, maybe. But then writing is/was a real issue, so...

• Love 1

1) Because, like ramble, I am desperate for science fiction shows.

2) I do enjoy the relationship between Kennex and Dorian.

3) I like Kennex's apartment and fake leg.

4) I keep thinking it has potential. So much potential.

5) Futuristic tropes galore!

• Love 5

I keep thinking it has potential. So much potential.

I think so too. So many interesting directions it could go. So many possibilities.

I like Kennex's apartment too. Although the magic sticky notes everywhere sort of pushed my OCD button a little.

• Love 1

I just now started watching because I really like science fiction that asks us to look at a new technology and to extrapolate how it might work in the real world. There was a similar somewhat cheesy show a while back called "Century City" that was a cross between sci-fi and legal dramas. While the execution was a little... simple, there were some really great ideas presented. So when I found out that "Almost Human" was a cross between sci-fi and cop shows and it had a similar take on "how can this go wrong and what might we do about it", I had to check it out. [see also "Max Headroom" for sci-fi and television.]

• Love 1

If I really wanted to keep it simple, I'd just say because of Dorian.  Really, Dorian and Michael Ealy's performance alone is just so entertaining to watch, and at times, feel like it should be on a much better show.  As for the rest... I do like Karl Urban a lot and he's bring his A-game, but I still find Kennex a bit too hit or miss.

But, honestly?  Considering some of the other stuff I actually watch (Intelligence, Revolution, freaking Helix, etc.), I clearly am just lenient as hell when it comes to the sci-fi genre.  And I want to keep the hope alive.  But if it's lucky enough to get another season, I hope it's less "sexbots and case of the week" Almost Human and more "arcs and Gina Carano basically playing The Terminator" Almost Human.

Oh, and maybe, just maybe, Fox quits airing episodes out of order.

• Love 1

I wish I could say that I watch because it's on before Sleepy Hollow, but that's not true because we record both and delay watch. The hair style of the captain (good lord, I can't remember her name, and I'm always the one that knows character's names) makes me wince every time I see her. It's so distracting. And hubby doesn't like Minka Kelly, whatever her character. To be honest, I think I watch for Mackenzie Crook, Dorian and Kennex. The three of them together are just fun scenes that make me smile. And, to a somewhat lesser degree, just Kennex and Dorian. The common thread is Dorian, and I think Ealey is doing a fantastic job. I also appreciate that the technology doesn't seem so farfetched, even if it is a big advertisement for Dodge.

But if it were not renewed, I wouldn't miss it all that much.

good lord, I can't remember her name, and I'm always the one that knows character's names) makes me wince every time I see her. It's so distracting.

Maldonado.

Speaking of Lily Taylor, I've always wondered if its her doing that open narration.  It SOUNDS like her.  The only reason I'm not sure is that the opening is kind of robotic/computer voice sounding, which I always thought might even be a deliberate choice, and she doesn't really sound like that in her acting scenes.

if they redo the cast next season I wonder if they even keep the Captain.

Maldonado.

Speaking of Lily Taylor, I've always wondered if its her doing that open narration.  It SOUNDS like her.  The only reason I'm not sure is that the opening is kind of robotic/computer voice sounding, which I always thought might even be a deliberate choice, and she doesn't really sound like that in her acting scenes.

if they redo the cast next season I wonder if they even keep the Captain.

I've wondered the same, too. If they ever release a DVD set I guess the info will be there.

If they redo the cast, I don't believe for a second they would let Lili go. My money would be on Minka.

I think the show has potential, it just needs retooling.

First Minka Kelly has to go. She sucks and ruins every single storyline she is in. The fact that she and Kennex have zero chemistry doesn't help matters. I mean Kennex had more chemistry with the actress who played his disappeared girlfriend who betrayed him, and they were seen together for less than five minutes.

Second, focus on the great chemistry between Kennex and Dorian.

Third, give us an actual plot that solidifies Insyndicate as the looming bad guys. They need not be present in all episodes, but they should loom -- look to Star Trek Deep Space Nine for pointers.

Fourth, bring back John Larroquette as a semi-regular.

• Love 2

They should invest in some world-building.  I don't mind if the future looks a lot like the present; our present looks a lot like 50 years ago.  The styles of things have changed, but we recognize the functions of a lot of those things.  But fiction needs to be grounded in a reality; if that reality is made up, then you need to have a good understanding of what that encompasses.  I'm not sure they do, outside of "robots with emotions!"  What kinds of things are possible?  Or, perhaps more importantly, not possible?

The premise is good, most of the actors are good except Minka Kelly. She is pretty but has the acting ability and range of a Barbie Doll.

The writers are screwing the show. Lame plot points, monster of the week. Dialog that chugs along at good to great only to totally flop for five minutes a show.

Start of season two with Minka Kelly being killed off by some mysterious big bad force, and have that evil force lurking during the course of the season. Focus on Kennex and Dorian - I'd watch those two drive around reading sales reports. I think that's where I'd go, but I've got a hunch we've seen the last of this show. A shame too, my wife will miss her weekly dose of Karl Urban. ;)

• Love 1

Wordy Dirds! There was much to be mined from this concept, but no. Fox has to cut it's whatevereth nose off to spite its face. Again, some more.  Gotta go wish the best for the cast, if they haven't landed gigs already.

I'll miss it.  There are a few detail jokes I really liked, like how Bitcoins are a common currency.  Some of it was stupid, like the electricity shortage that made Dorian stupid (maybe it was inspired by a coffee shortage in the writer's room.)  It had a fun mix of some things changing a lot, and some not at all; just like compared to 1984, there are some people who still wear Izod shirts, and jeans are still cool, but we also finally have an electric car that's not a novelty or a golf cart, and we have entire video arcades on a phone--but we can't give that phone a decent battery.  Technology is weird, and though they might have missed specifics, they got that general idea correct.

Good luck, crew and cast.  I'm not afraid that what goes on in its place will be worse, but I do expect that to be true.

The ax fell. Minka sucked (her fault, and the show runners let her suck), 5 minutes per show sucked (writers' fault, and the show runners let them suck), and main show runner was busy with space wars.

That being said, a single show runner adult could have had a great second season with a few tweaks, and Minka turning out to be a bad guy or a sexbot.

I wonder if Minka Kelly would have seemed better if the shows were shown in order.  That could tell us how much was an acting choice to fit narrative, and how much was something else.  I look forward to the DVDs to resolve that, and hopefully even bigger questions--like what was supposed to be outside the wall?

Silly, everthing we saw was outside the Wall. The other side is the inside. There, people live fullfilled and contented lives in neo hippy communes and instead of technology, they run their society with the power of Love. Sometimes they send scouts over the Wall to see if any of the sad people they've exiled there can be saved.

But Minka "The Cardboard Cutout" Kelly was absolutely brutal.

True.  But hardly the reason the show failed.  One bad actress in a sea of bad writing, bad network interference, bad editing, and all around bad execution.

• Love 1

And at worst in this she was mediocre, for me anyway.  I liked her in it just fine they just didn't give her much to do other than the two episodes connected to her being genetically engineered.  I actually really liked her in the episode with the murder at the school; I dug her relating to the "normal" kids over her fellow engineered peeps.  SHe varies wildly in performance ability based on what I've seen of her.  She was awesome on Friday Night Lights, terribad on Charlie's Angles and a bit up and down in this.

Sad that the show is cancelled. I'll miss Dorian and Rudy and always wonder what happened to John Larroquette on the other side of the wall.

• Love 1

I wonder if the DVD has the right episode order. It got really obvious they were messing with it in some way, apart from mediocre stories and bad editing.

Alas, I will miss Karl Urban and the weekly robot-action-scene-showdown.

The special features include unaired scenes, a gag reel, and portions of their 2013 San Diego Comic Con panel.  That was mentioned in other articles.  Only other thing I would have wanted was a feature talking about what they would have done for Season 2 despite how pointless that is now.

I'm also hoping the episodes are in the correct viewing order but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by benteen