Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

For as much as I love Dr Rolf, I was relieved that Steve showed up to put an end to the possibility of Kayla being unwillingly impregnated with Stefano's DNA.  

I still can't get my head around Kayla possibly being pregnant with Steve. You know, Steve was Stefano for a while and now Stefano's an embryo and ... it makes my head hurt.

Good job, Show, of giving Allie all the most annoying qualities of both her parents and none of their redeeming features. Am I the only one who thinks the writers have a bet going? Something along the lines of: let's see if we can make this legacy character (Allie) even more annoying than the most annoying legacy character of all time (Abigail)? It's a dark day, soap fans, when yours truly is reduced to saying "At least I don't have to hear about her hymen 24/7."

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

I only caught the last 20 minutes but it felt like Cady had a rough first day today. Some of her choices were a little strange. I realize it's a heavy emotional scene, but she didn't cry...and still tried to make it sound like she was crying and also used strange vocal inflections. I wish she had gone for subtle and understated just to play it safe. Her hair was very Jennifer though.

How pathetic is it that actors are leaving the show so abruptly that they have to hire new actors to explain why others have vanished. I think it would have been smarter for them to not have Jennifer carry these scenes, and give Cady a chance to warm up to the part. Doug could have been the one to find the letter or Shawn. That would have made a lot more sense.

It's funny to think that the only recognizable faces at this memorial for Ciara will be Doug and Julie because all the other actors are recasts LOL.

Speaking of Claire, why was she dressed like an elementary school teacher from the 80s? That outfit was very strange, especially for a memorial.

Ben is scum..." I get it, I've changed! I never want to hurt anyone again! I fully understand what I've done!"... suuuuuuure. I hope Eli beats the shit out of him one day. Fight back Vincent! If you could brainwash him you can certainly kick him in the nuts.

I feel badly for Brady even though I know I shouldn't. He has made such a mess of his life having a kid with this woman who is never going to be healthy and who has already damaged so many people's lives that her only friend is this nitwit.

Why did Sal choose to whisper "I love you" before leaving the interrogation room? The writing isn't there to support this level of intimacy between Lani and Kristen. I feel like the actresses are trying to push a subplot where they secretly lezzed out in the convent🤣

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

I only caught the last 20 minutes but it felt like Cady had a rough first day today. Some of her choices were a little strange. I realize it's a heavy emotional scene, but she didn't cry...and still tried to make it sound like she was crying and also used strange vocal inflections. I wish she had gone for subtle and understated just to play it safe. Her hair was very Jennifer though.

Cady felt like she was trying a bit too hard today. Jennifer is a usually more "quiet dignity" in these moments rather than emotion-first.  But she also had the really difficult task of doing a ton of exposition to explain why Hope is suddenly no longer around.

I wish the show would just understand that Eli is not the villain here.  Ben putting a gun to his head is a bad thing.  Tho I'm sure Eli will forgive him. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Leave it to Days to film a mini-plot to fill the filming gaps so Halloween does not air too early only for Halloween to be late! Seriously it's Oct. 30th and the 31st is a Saturday so I expected today to be the Halloween episode. Instead we got boredom-o-ween.  Ben's been talking to the stolen gun for over a week. Jack and Jennifer find Hope's letter which should have been found last week. Where did everyone think Hope was during the blackout? I generally find soap memorial services a snooze fest because most of them come back from the dead anyways, and today was just a drug out episode leading up the the snooze fest service. So do we have to wait till Thanksgiving to get Halloween now or will a resurrected Tom Horton voice over announce on Monday, "We interrupt this memorial service to bring you Halloween that was filmed in March???"

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Is the new dress code at funerals purple?

There are many different colors of mourning and purple has been around a long time to represent "spiritual mourning" or something like that. Black is more traditional but purple isn't out of place. 

Way back in the day when widows were expected to do performative mourning, they'd wear black initially for deep mourning.  Then, after a few months when they were starting to come out of deep mourning, they'd switch to purple or mauve to show that they were still sad but not totally devastated any longer. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Is the new dress code at funerals purple?

Right! I was wondering if it was themed memorial and the theme was 'purple floral' lol.

Does Cady Mclain (?) normally talk that way? Her manner of speaking was so odd to me.

I'm very confused. I thought that blackout thing was done post-lockdown as a filler so the show would be airing the Halloween ep that was filmed pre-lockdown on time. Today wasn't a Halloween ep. Like, seriously, what the fuck is happening lol?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Ben's been talking to the stolen gun for over a week.

OMG 🤣

3 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Jack and Jennifer find Hope's letter which should have been found last week. Where did everyone think Hope was during the blackout?

Considering Shawn & Belle have been looking quite cozy in Hope's house (as they should since he is her only surviving child), I assumed they've been living with her these last few weeks. So Shawn should have found the note instead of Jennifer. It was such an odd choice to have Cady McClain take the lead in this big reveal when she has zero connection to Hope, Julie, or Doug. I don't think her acting was bad but she shouldn't have started off with crying. Considering it was a long-ass letter, she could have built up to the tears as the realization that her dear cousin was "gone". 

5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I wish the show would just understand that Eli is not the villain here.  Ben putting a gun to his head is a bad thing.

Eli may be boring but he is not the bad guy that the show's been portraying the last few weeks. It really is infuriating watching all the actual scumbag characters treat him like he's a bad person for doing his job as a cop. I don't remember Bo or Roman treated like that back in the day.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, bunnyblue said:

Shawn should have found the note instead of Jennifer. It was such an odd choice to have Cady McClain take the lead in this big reveal when she has zero connection to Hope, Julie, or Doug.

Jennifer is Hope’s cousin and best friend. Julie is Jennifer’s aunt. 

1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

I know that. What I meant was that, for me, Cady's Jennifer has no emotional connection to them. That might as well have been Dixie Cooney reading that letter and breaking the news to Julie & Doug.

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 3

I wore purple and black to my aunt's funeral last year. She wouldn't want everyone wearing black. Funerals are not the same any more. Some folks even show up in jeans.

Lani's Big Bird yellow top was nice. I am still surprised that their studio apartment has zero baby things in it. Shouldn't they be putting some furniture together, have a couple of cribs, a dresser, etc. by now? Maybe it is all in the apartment storage locker?

Doug looked like he aged about 5 years overnight.

Hope's letter/novel seemed quite long. Just say she's going out of town for a while to get a break. People would understand that. Nice of Jack and Jennifer to pick her up but they easily could have sent a car for her.

Ben, that was really stupid to knock out Eli for your 'revenge' against Vincent. Let the courts deal with him.

Kristen, you do belong in jail. Brady and Rachel can visit you. And what kind of friendship do you have with Lani, exactly? You two seemed like you had some sort of relationship in the convent.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm very confused. I thought that blackout thing was done post-lockdown as a filler so the show would be airing the Halloween ep that was filmed pre-lockdown on time. Today wasn't a Halloween ep. Like, seriously, what the fuck is happening lol?

I know, right!?!  I was so in the mindset for one of Ron's "wacky" Halloween episodes....and then most of it ended up being great for a Fast-Forward-Finger workout.  

Cady McClain's performance was everything I loved about her incarnation of Rosanna Cabot, so I was happy with all of those scenes.  But I could see why people who are used to Melissa Reeves' version of Jennifer Rose didn't like them.  Reeves isn't doing anything interesting with Jennifer at the moment, so I was pleased that McClain brought some hints of a neurotic edge to them.  Matthew Ashford looked like he didn't know what the hell was going on.    

A little shout out to BIll Hayes who gave me goosebumps when his eyes started watering up about Hope.  

The Show seems to have no idea how to play Ben wanting to kill Vincent as tragically ironic, so all of those scenes played as tragically stupid for me.  

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Nice of Jack and Jennifer to pick her up but they easily could have sent a car for her.

I thought it was nice of them to pick her up. I imagine they wanted to offer her emotional support - a car service wouldn't provide that. What was strange was how Jack rushed in to announce he found parking. Like, what? Just a few months ago when Hope & Steve were outside destroying Steveano's portrait, they did it on Hope's driveway. I thought it was obvious she lives in a house with its own private parking, not some downtown apartment with street parking. So it was odd for Jack to act like he'd been looking for a parking spot for half an hour, lol.

28 minutes ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Matthew Ashford looked like he didn't know what the hell was going on.    

Yeah, at one point as Jack comforted Jennifer as she read & cried, he had a far away and confused look on his face. I thought is was hilarious.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

@bunnyblue, where I live, street parking is first-come and first-served. Yeah, it's nice if a homeowner has a space or two in front of his/her house for guests, but some people have multiple vehicles that they park on the street (i.e. garage full of junk). No one 'owns' the space in front of the house in many cases. 'Finding' parking is relevant if many homes on the block have a double garage and maybe 3 or 4 spaces to park, but have six vehicles.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Matthew Ashford looked like he didn't know what the hell was going on.  

8 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

Yeah, at one point as Jack comforted Jennifer as she read & cried, he had a far away and confused look on his face. I thought is was hilarious.

YES! It was so hilarious.

6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

So....I was skipping the filler story...but now is it left unfinished...or did it wrap up yesterday..?

It was basically wrapped up except that we didn't find out what Rolf wants Gwen to do in exchange for him not tattling on her. At least I don't think we did. I usually forget most of the show about 5 minutes after it airs.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Just saw a bit of Cady McClain's Jennifer from Friday's episode, and let me just say this is 2020s - American Daytime Soap is a dying industry at this stage (Ironically, the industry continue to flourish in Latin America, West Europe and Australia given how much they adored American soaps in the past). They are lucky enough to be able to get Cady on Days now. If it's 2030, I am afraid they will find nobody to fill the position.  

I've gotten so out of the habit of reading/posting here, and that is something I need to correct, because just reading this last page has made me realize how much I miss all you guys and your humour.  I hope everyone has been staying healthy and safe.

Just a couple random thoughts about the show:

Seeing Bill Hayes on set and around other actors really stressed me out yesterday. I worry about him, and the other older actors, and really, all the actors. Watching Days, these days, you would have no idea these episodes were taped during a pandemic.  I don't watch the other soaps, and certainly don't want dolls and spouses as stand ins, but in some ways, keeping the show normal is more distracting than if they were making pandemic choices more obvious.  

About temp/nu-Jenn, I've never see the actress before, so have no preformed opinion, and my opinion after yesterday's episode wasn't great.  Giving her that long, boring letter to read was not a good decision.  At the very least, if they were going to have a stranger (to the viewers) read the explanation of what happened to Hope, at least have some flashback pics while she read it. But, of course, that would cost money, not to mention they could hardly have flashbacks of the cousins when one cousin now has a new face.  Sheesh. What a mess.

Anyway, I'll give Cady a chance, but having never seen anyone other than MR play Jennifer, (I missed the Peter Blake era) it's going to be hard to get used to her.

I know most here didn't like Cin, so are probably happy they've been split up, but I was a fan, and I miss them. I also can't believe after being a Ericole fan for so long, and them FINALLY getting their happy ending, that's when GV decided he didn't want to be on the show anymore.  I get that he was bored, and felt underused, but wish he could have stayed even 6 more months, so we shippers could be happy for a show or two.  Hopefully, maybe, he'll come back, before they move Nicole onto someone else.

Anytime Rolf is around is good.  And though he's a horrible person, I do like that Clyde is trying to do good by Ben.  Orpheus, too, is a good visitor to the show.  So I was happy with the little filler arc we got.

So are we getting a Halloween show?  Ciara's memorial is "tomorrow", and well Halloween is today, and there's no kids even in Salem to trick or treat, is there?  Well, I guess there's Henry. LOL.  Oh, well, it'll be Thanksgiving/Christmas in a couple"Salem" weeks.

Meanwhile, Happy Halloween everyone.  🎃

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 7
On 10/31/2020 at 5:03 PM, Frozendiva said:

The Halloween episode wasn’t filmed. Carlivati may be posting an outline for the episode on Twitter. Not sure this is a spoiler or where this should be located.

Yes it is on Twitter. It picks up exactly where Friday ends then resets to the same point. Basically a zombie nightmare Eli has while he's out for the count

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 10/30/2020 at 10:25 PM, Petunia13 said:

Nope, Julie is not Jennifer's aunt. Julie is also her cousin. Jenn's dad was Bill Horton. Julie's mother was Addie Horton. Bill and Addie were siblings. Hence first cousins.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Nope, Julie is not Jennifer's aunt. Julie is also her cousin. Jenn's dad was Bill Horton. Julie's mother was Addie Horton. Bill and Addie were siblings. Hence first cousins.

It's always worth mentioning that Julie is Hope's half-sister and her stepmother. 

• LOL 10
4 minutes ago, JaneDigby said:

It's always worth mentioning that Julie is Hope's half-sister and her stepmother. 

It was almost like the "I'm my own grandpa!" joke before it was a thing! LOL! (But, yes, you're correct! Since Julie and Hope shared Addie as their mother. What's even funkier is, Julie dated Doug FIRST. He drifted to Julie's mom after they broke up at some point! From what I read, though, Addie, sorta, kinda used her money to get Doug? Before my time. But she sounded lonely to me from everything I read.)

What's interesting, too, is I read that the audience did not want Addie to die once Hope was born. (I read Addie had cancer?) She recovered then. The character died later, apparently, after being hit by a car while saving Hope.

• Love 5
On 10/30/2020 at 8:47 PM, bunnyblue said:

It was such an odd choice to have Cady McClain take the lead in this big reveal when she has zero connection to Hope, Julie, or Doug. I don't think her acting was bad but she shouldn't have started off with crying. Considering it was a long-ass letter, she could have built up to the tears as the realization that her dear cousin was "gone". 

Agree. I'm generally not a fan of recasts (perhaps Jen and Hope should have left town together) and feel a disconnect when a new actor/actress takes over.  I also thought the whole scene with Jen, Julie, and Doug was drug out as if Jen was beating around the bush instead of concisely explaining that Hope left and she didn't see her. I couldn't help but think she could have just handed the letter over and let them read it themselves (off screen) so we could move on to something more interesting.

On 10/30/2020 at 8:47 PM, bunnyblue said:

Eli may be boring but he is not the bad guy that the show's been portraying the last few weeks. It really is infuriating watching all the actual scumbag characters treat him like he's a bad person for doing his job as a cop. I don't remember Bo or Roman treated like that back in the day.

Agree here as well.  I thought Brady came off like a spoiled whiney brat on Friday. I can't summon the sympathy for Kristin. She could have avoided the whole thing by just yelling at Victor and telling him off instead of stabbing him.  And did I hear correctly she only got 2 years? For attempted murder! It sounded like the whole episode was cry me a river cause I'm never going to see my daughter. I thought she got twenty to life or something not a slap on the wrist. I wanted someone to say, "Cool your heels. You'll be out before Rachel's in kindergarten."

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I had to stop watching today's episode because I could not suppress my rage at seeing Vincent tell Ben that he's just too good a person now to ever kill anyone again, ever.

Now even his victims are Bensplaining how Holy he is. Who can possibly miss Ciara when everyone else in Salem is turning into her?

I'm down to watching once a week, and when I try, I end up walking away.

Ben is The Best...and Tripp is a RAPEY RAPIST!!! For.....reasons?

And Ciara is being mourned for like...eight weeks... because it benefits Ben's character to be the "hero" who "lost his wife". Honestly, at this point I'd rather see everyone wailing about Haley because at least she didn't eat up screentime being a parrot and squawking about how much you have to love her boyfriend. Ciara wasnt even a character with character traits. What's to love?

Goodbye. This is a waste of my time.

• Love 11
On 10/30/2020 at 12:41 AM, enchantingmonkey said:

For as much as I love Dr Rolf, I was relieved that Steve showed up to put an end to the possibility of Kayla being unwillingly impregnated with Stefano's DNA.  

I do adore Dr. Rolf and his crazy mad scientist ways, but watching him taunt Kayla about being conscious but unable to move was beyond creepy and very rape-esque and I cheered when Steve burst in and stopped anything else from happening.

2 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Agree here as well.  I thought Brady came off like a spoiled whiney brat on Friday. I can't summon the sympathy for Kristin. She could have avoided the whole thing by just yelling at Victor and telling him off instead of stabbing him.  And did I hear correctly she only got 2 years? For attempted murder! It sounded like the whole episode was cry me a river cause I'm never going to see my daughter. I thought she got twenty to life or something not a slap on the wrist. I wanted someone to say, "Cool your heels. You'll be out before Rachel's in kindergarten."

According to Brady, Kristen should just be allowed to live her life with zero consequences for her violent actions.  Yes, what a role model she will be for her daughter.

On today's episode, we were told repeatedly that all of Ciara's loved ones had to be there for "Doug, Julie, Ben and Shawn" but there is no mention of Claire--I guess she doesn't make the cut.  And while I do appreciate Claire's standing by Allie, I don't get why she isn't more surprised by Tripp's actions.  It would have been better for her to be more like Steve--thinking something horrible happened, but maybe Tripp wasn't the perpetrator.

I am going to love it when Steve rubs it in Angry!John's face that Tripp isn't the rapist--I get that the show wants us to see that John isn't himself, but I'm not really enjoying watching him act like rageaholic.

Ben's calling Vincent "Vince" was annoying the crap out of me.

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

I ended up having to take a phone call so I was paying half attention and I can't run back my dvr until tonight but please correct me if I heard wrong. Did Eli say he wouldnt want murder to be added to Ben's list of crimes? That had to be wrong, right?!

• LOL 5

Not much of an actual funeral service for dearly departed Ciara.

John, you have no reason to be that ballistic toward Steve and you are lucky that Marlena calmed you down. You should be in an extended care centre for a while.

Ben, people will say anything when a gun is pointed at them. Vince is right - you are not crazy any more. You do know right from wrong. You will get more revenge through the justice system.

Thought Ciara was going to pop in while Tripp had his soliloquy, i.e. dumping his problems on a captive listener.

Allie, you really should not have mentioned the paternity test.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Ben's calling Vincent "Vince" was annoying the crap out of me.

Having a name that can be shortened to a nickname, I've noticed this odd quirk where people will call me by a name I didn't offer up.  They'll say, "Enchant,..." and I'm thinking, "It's Enchanting!".  *giggle*

The best thing about Vincent is that he can tell anything to Ben/Shawn and they will have to consider the possibility of it being truth.  The potential for ducking with their minds is almost endless.  

I didn't hear Vincent telling Ben that he was too good to kill, but rather that Ben's previous mental conditioning somehow superseded the mental conditioning that Vincent subjected him to.  More like Vincent conceding not by defeat but by underestimation.  \

Still enjoying Steve and Kayla having a story that involves adult conversations even though Tripp-the-Rapist? is frustrating on so many levels.  

• Love 4

Who didn't love Princess Abs completely skating by her setting Ben on fire?  It's all "after what Ben did to me" but no recognition for Abigail's trying to kill Ben--to be an entitled Horton.

I continue to love Gwen and all of her deviousness and I like Jake's being one of the few people who can see through her but please don'[t make Jake attracted to Abs--he deserves better then having to deal with the self-absorbed harridan.

I loved Kayla's warning Allie not to try and get the family to choose sides against Tripp--too late for that advice because Allie's already emphatically telling all the Bradys that she knows for one hundred percent certainty that Tripp raped her, but conveniently forgetting to mention that she was black out drunk and that she only remembers bits and pieces of the evening.  I don't think I've ever seen a more unsympathetic rape victim in my life and now Kayla confirms that Tripp is Henry's father--let the angst begin.

• Love 15

I can't decide if I think Days skipped over the actual memorial service because: 

a). Covid precautions/too many people on the same set at once + Critical cast members like KA didn't come back

b.) Ciara isn't really dead so why bother if she's going to reappear alive in 6 months or less [not a spoiler; simply guessing since that's how Days tends to roll lately]

Either way, I'm glad they skipped it. 

As for the Tripp/Allie paternity debacle, can we please just have one DNA test on this show that's actually reliable? This part of the storyline has already been drug out enough. It seems pretty obvious that the test was either tampered with (which will span a whole other story of who did that) or Days is playing fast and loose with medical knowledge again (even more annoying). Either way, I'm ready for them to move on as Allie just becomes more and more grating as she insists her side is the truth even though she can't remember most of it!  Also can Allie please just make a Twitter or Facebook post that says, "Hey Salem!  I was raped. #BlackoutDrunk  Tripp did it. Click like if you're taking my side!" so everyone can stop gossiping about it to each other and just hash it out over social media? I'm sure Nicole will give it many 'shares.' But at least we'll be spared all the scenes till the rumor mill train finally pulls into the station. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Why was Jake screaming at Gwen? Like, calm down lol. Jake falling for Abigail better not actually being happening. Just no.

I continue to adore everything about Gwen.

I watched the Allie/Tripp scenes today because I'm masochistic I guess. The actor playing Tripp is doing a good job but imo he's playing it a bit too angry and it's coming off like he really did do it even though I feel pretty certain he will not be the actual culprit. Anyway, back to fast forwarding it.

• Love 3

Hope there is more to the DNA test than Tripp is the baby daddy. Like some margin for error. Don't think he did it.

Vincent didn't really tell much more about Ciara. No body, no fragments of anything, no evidence except for Vincent's words that Ciara is dead. I did like Shawn and Ben sort of bonding.

Abby telling Chad about Stefano in the Instant Pot and a possible spawn? Be careful, Chad. Don't laugh. Maybe Abs will end up having the kid.

Geez, Kate. Except for Jennifer and maybe a maid, you are the only female left in the DiMera mansion.

Gwen, naughty you. You are quite the schemer.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Hope there is more to the DNA test than Tripp is the baby daddy. Like some margin for error. Don't think he did it.

There's probably a long-lost identical twin out there. Or Sami came back to switch the tests.  

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

I am just guessing that since Kayla said she ran the test multiple times, that Charlie (or whoever) must have changed the SAMPLE somehow. So, he knows who Allie is and what he did.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

I am just guessing that since Kayla said she ran the test multiple times, that Charlie (or whoever) must have changed the SAMPLE somehow. So, he knows who Allie is and what he did.

Surprised that he hasn't run in to Allie yet.

• Love 1