Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

They were fabulous!  And a far improvement, from a writing standpoint, than Tuesday's scenes.

I loved Tuesday because they were back in the same room but Wednesday's scenes had spot-on writing for the two characters.  Jack waxing philosophical with big words, being Steve's biggest cheerleader and Steve was gruff and annoyed but the love was there.  They just nailed that dynamic. I almost don't want to delete the ep because who knows how long it'll be before we get scenes like that again? 

Oddly enough, I think it's close to the most spot on writing for Jack since he's been back.

Jack and Steve were the best scenes of the week in my opinion. Seeing them together made me miss Adrienne so much.  She was the one that reunited her family and she should have been with her big brothers. Not to mention Jo, another great character, so complex and tragic.  She who would have been overjoyed to be with her boys... Why can't we ever have the whole Johnson family together, we just can't have nice things..

One thing that bothered me was how Adrienne's other sons were erased when Steve was saying how much Sonny loved her..  It irritates me how this show under Ron devalues adopted children in favor of biological ones.  Days has always stressed emotional bonds over biological ones. It is why Bo preferred Papa Shawn as his father over Victor, Sarah preferred Mickey over Neil, Mike also preferred Mickey over Bill, e.t.c..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

They actually used a real baby in these scenes instead of a hyperventilating tape recorder, and i was worrying about how a poor baby would actually react to the violence going on.

That child was ginormus. 

I'm already tired of the Hope Brady apology/pity party tour. 

Finally, a decent Steve/Kayla flashback. Her present day hair is still a mess.

Poor Justin. I don't see this working out in his favor.

Aren't Ben and Ciara adorable? <barf> I know they have fans, I just don't happen to be one of them.

I see Lani and Eli are still some of Salem's top cops. <eye roll>

Oh, hey there, Britt. I mean Zoey. Welcome to Salem. Hopefully, it lasts a little longer than your recent stay in Port Charles.

Good cliffhanger. Go get him, Orpheus!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, buffynut said:

Hi folks.  Haven't been here in a while. Hope everyone is well. 

Still watching the show pretty much every day, however, I skipped the April Fools show. No way could I stomach seeing Daniel.  

So happy the Stevano storyline is over.  Love, loved the scenes with Steve and Jack the other day. Also loved the lengthy Steve/Kayla flashback today.  Poor Justin. He's going to get his heart broken, isn't he.

Love that Will and Sonny are revisiting having another baby.

Yes, I'm still a Cin fan, and thought they were so cute when they were in bed earlier in the episode. But was surprised when Ben attacked Evan.  Hmmm... is he off his meds? 

Welcome Back, and yes I loved the Jack & Steve scenes, and the wonderful flashbacks of young Patch & Kayla.  I am intrigued by the Justin/Kayla/Steve triangle, each of the characters are rootable...

• Love 3

Call me crazy, but I'm enjoying the idea of Hope coming to terms with what she did as Gina. It reminds me of the old Days when she was doing the same thing and trying to get Celeste to tell her what she did as Gina those five missing years. With Celeste dodging and refusing to tell her so she can enjoy her life back as Hope. 

Just don't give Hope another love interest yet unless you bring back Patrick Lockhart. 

• Love 4

Steve, it's great that you have intentions to win Kayla back. However, she does have free will. You came across as a bit entitled in terms of she is your one true love. I am apart from my true love. You have treated her badly for a few years, and maybe with Justin, she feels loved and appreciated.

Aww, Ben, the serial killer employment records sucks.

The Zoey person seemed kinda smug. And very sure she can get Evan/Christian off and he won't do any time for his crime of killing Jordan. Yeah, strangling someone is an accident. And framing someone else too. He had too much rage at seeing baby David. Not that Ben did any better with his rage.

The Salem PD now has new staff to deal with the crime of the season.

Why is Orpheus sitting in Rafe's living room?

• Love 4

Hey, @buffynut, nice to see you again : ) 

And @Irlandesa -- Jack and Steve SO easily stepped into their old vibe. Such pros, and probably delighted to be filming together again. Figures it'll be Patch that will renew my flagging interest in this show. 

Haven't watched yesterday's episode yet so looking forward to the Patch/Kayla goodness ya'll describe. I'll be back later, lol. 

• Love 3

I have not watched this week yet just read the recaps. Guess it will be my quarantine weekend project. I do want to watch Steve and Kayla and Jack but I am reluctant to do any of the Xarah stuff as I just hate the dead baby stuff. I really think they should have gone with their original plot of Kristen stealing the baby during the abortion; then we could still have Sarah mad at Xander, Kristen boohooing cause 'her' baby was being taken away but no dead baby. Also Sarah would end up with the live baby and Kristen nothing, which is how it should be.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

“I applied so many jobs and I’m over qualified for all of them but none have called me.” 😤 Ben’s offended. 

Wot? 

First of all. His entire time in Salem he’s had 2 jobs. Working at Sonny’s bar where he was insubordinate and rude to leadership. Then as Stefan’s personal security/paid friend.  Second, he has the face and reputation of a serial killer, no education, his only reference is his unemployed gf, and... is a serial killer. 

Wouldn't you just love to know exactly what jobs he's "over-qualified for?  Did he apply for town rat killer?  Not to worry, he'll be either Police Commissioner,  Mayor, or be crowned King of Hearts before the summer is over.  How much you wanna bet Marlena pressures John into hiding him to work at Black Patch.

Yesterday's highlights for me were all the Patch and Kayla scenes, either together or with other people.  The flashbacks were great.  One thing though - those flashbacks reminded me of how long it's been since we've seen Kayla actually smile or be happy.  It feels like it's been years.

Yeah, Ciara, Ben's all better now😕.  

Edited by boes
  • LOL 6
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

I'm finishing up my FREE DR ROLF sign as I type this.  Meet me outside of the Salem Police Department?  

Alright, our campaign for justice for that lovably zany mad scientist can begin :):)

I kind of like Zoey, if only because she rightly called out CIara as a vigilante and Ben's "gun-toting bae"--that was awesome 🙂  And then the reveal that she's Evan/Christians's big sister--nice.  Is it wrong that I'm kind of cheering at the idea of her kicking Ciara's leather clad butt?  Didn't think so.

After all of the crap Marlena just went through at Steveano's hands, she's freaked out at the idea of Orpheus still being alive?  

Not really enjoying Steve's sense of entitlement of Kayla--I'm rooting for her and Justin to have a decent shot at their romance.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, boes said:

How much you wanna bet Marlena pressures John into hiding him to work at Black Patch.

Yesterday's highlights for me were all the Patch and Kayla scenes, either together or with other people.  The flashbacks were great.  One thing though - those flashbacks reminded me of how long it's been since we've seen Kayla actually smile or be happy.  It feels like it's been years.

Yes, @boes! On both counts. Absolutely, Ben will be a new private dick. And I had exactly the same thought about Kayla -- her brows are always furrowed, she's always perplexed. She looked so young and sweetly in love and optimistic. I miss that Kayla. Even with Justin, there's only been rare smiles. And this story would  be so much better if we'd become invested in Justin/Kayla over time, of course. Sigh. I'll take what I can get with regard to Patch and Kayla, though. And Jack and Jenn. 

I ff'd through Ben and Ciara -- they just don't interest me in the slightest. And Hope is going to be this long-suffering guilt machine now, too, isn't she? Oy. I like the idea someone had above about Justin and Hope winding up together -- would make her much more palatable. 

Anyway, hoping for a good Friday show. 

@kitmerlot1213 -- hush, lol! There is no endgame but Steve and Kayla. I will not permit it : )

Edited by Lastwaltz
more to say
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

[snip]  

Not really enjoying Steve's sense of entitlement of Kayla--I'm rooting for her and Justin to have a decent shot at their romance.

I've hardly watched any Justin/Kayla romance because I rarely watch DOOL now. But, I'm rooting for Kayla/Justin because it's so rare that Kayla ever has a romance on this show with anyone other than Steve.  [I will mindwipe Kayla/Shane - that was all an acid trip, OK?!]  In fact, besides Justin, can someone tell me who else Kayla has been involved with?

Meanwhile, how many other romances has Steve had with his various missing time/amnesias throughout the decades? 

• Love 6

Full on makeup first thing in the morning, huh, Marlena?

"Orpheus is dead, he can't be back." Uh, how many times has he died now?  And, how many others have come back from the dead?

So Orpheus works for the ISA, just like John did when he poisoned Steve.

"You psycho!" says the guy who killed the mother of his child.

Doesn't Justin live in the Kiriakis mansion?  Where does he make this lasagna?

I wish they had shown us the great Justin Kayla love story instead of him just telling us about it.'

Christian pouts a lot.

What is this eatery that Justin and Jennifer were at?

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Justin and Kayla live together in the condo she bought after she sold her house.

• Love 5

So here's a thought that popped into my head during today's episode... does Ciara get turned on by violence? Like is she one of those people that orgasm while watching car crashes? Did she used to break in to Hope's office and steal crime scene photos? Is this why she's in a relationship with a serial killer? I would be way less critical of those two if the writers revealed there was something horribly wrong with her. I mean, if they blatantly revealed it.

I like Zoe and want her to continue to speak her mind, but Evan should pay for his crime. And so should Ben. And Kristen.

Speaking of, if they had to do a baby switch storyline with characters who are a couple of years away from retirement, couldn't it have been between Nicole and Kristen? Y'know, because karma? Sarah's too nice to have this happen to her.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Now.  But the lasagna was made on their first date.

Maybe he always carries one around with him just in case?

Edited by boes
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Is it wrong that I'm kind of cheering at the idea of her kicking Ciara's leather clad butt?  Didn't think so.

I hope Zoey and Evan form a tag team and kick both Ciara and Ben's asses.

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Couldn't he make it there?

Oh man, Evan's 'tough guy' stance, or whatever the hell he was doing, cracked me up. I'd rather watch the Zoey/Orpheus/Evan family than, well, almost anything else that's going on right now lol.

I only got the first half of yesterday's ep and then the second half today so I basically have no idea what's going on. I really don't even know why I'm watching. I'm missing so much that it's really not even worth it. But it's not like there's anything else to do so!

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Does everybody who lives at the Kiriakis mansion get to cook anything they want any time they want?  The kitchen staff must be unhappy.

I mean, I assume so lol. But I'm not wealthy so I don't know how that kinda shit works!

• LOL 4

I know Steve and Kayla are endgame, but right now Steve is driving me crazy. His asking Kayla if Justin and she had made love the night before reminded me of when she was married to Jack and he was asking her if she was happy with Jack because she was passionate.  I realize that he didn't divorce Kayla, but she has moved on and he doesn't like it.  It's fine for him to have all these other relationships (even if he did have amnesia at the time), but Kayla is supposed to sit around and wait for Steve to come back to her.  I have to say I like Kayla and Justin together for the time being. 

• Love 5

Even though we know Steve/Kayla is endgame I don't mind the idea of Justin returning to his shady ways to hold onto her as long as its not OTT(but this is Days so...) then when he loses Kayla he stays on the dark side but she's his occassional light and takes over the family(as Victor is too old for this tbh). They could be a variation of Shawn/Caroline/Victor in that regard.

I like Zoey which means she'll be ruined soon enough. Probably end up obsessed with Ben and trying to kill Ciara.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 4

It's hilarious that any long time citizen of Salem is shocked when anyone comes back from the dead.  Maybe the Show is trying to say it's one of those things you never get used to but it could be a little more fun to watch if the script writers were allowed to inject some wit and self-awareness into these scenes.  

Loved Justin dropping that nugget of information into Steve's lap, and then leaving the room for John to deal with.  

Orpheus messing with everyone's head will be fun if they can refrain from turning him into a mustache-twirling maniac, which is nearly impossible for this writing team.  Enjoyed him toying with Rafe.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Justin’s been living w Kayla for a while now.

In fact yesterday’s episode they woke up in bed together.

They always say “see you at home”. Them getting a condo was a whole plot point a while back. 

• Love 3

I missed today (and will watch later) so now realize @Silver Ravenquestion of how Justin made Kayla a lasagna was about for his first date w her. I think though Kiriakis Manor has a chef they had use of the kitchen, I remember Xander making Sarah a grilled peanut butter a bacon sandwich while she was pregnant and Justin and Sonny preparing food for Adrienne themselves on that doomed Mother’s Day. I could see if there was a live in cook Justin, being the nice guy he is, not asking to add to the work load of a man or woman making 3 squares for a dozen people and doing the dishes just for a complicated dish to be brought to a non resident. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I've hardly watched any Justin/Kayla romance because I rarely watch DOOL now. But, I'm rooting for Kayla/Justin because it's so rare that Kayla ever has a romance on this show with anyone other than Steve.  [I will mindwipe Kayla/Shane - that was all an acid trip, OK?!]  In fact, besides Justin, can someone tell me who else Kayla has been involved with?

Meanwhile, how many other romances has Steve had with his various missing time/amnesias throughout the decades? 

Before Steve, Kayla had a brief relationship with Chris who took her virginity, the actor now plays her brother Roman.. The one good thing about that is that the original Kayla had that romance and not Mary Beth's version. Kayla had a brief flirtation with Mike Horton back in the day when Steve was dead. The show should have put them together instead of Shayla. Mike would have been the type of guy she would need to ease her loneliness. It could have been a fling and nothing more. Bo was allowed to have a sexual relationship with Emmy when Hope was dead and before he met Carly. Kayla could have had something similar..

I remember years ago, Mary Beth was chatting with fans and she said that she too hated Shayla with a passion but you never saw any hint of that on the show because she committed to those scenes. She said that she is an actor and her job is to play her scenes to the best of her abilities.  Marcus, Steve's foster brother had a crush on her bad and the show would not have gone there back then since Marcus was Black. It would have triggered the racists. 

The show missed an opportunity in not giving Kayla a husband and another child while she was living in LA with Kim.  A beautiful woman like Kayla would not have remained single for 16 years. Kayla is not allowed to have a life outside of Steve..

• Love 3

Ciara, you should talk to someone about your attraction to Ben. Yes, people can change and he has served his time. However, he will most likely always have a side of him that likes violence. Sure, he did nothing to Evan, but his emotions controlled him. And yes, Evan/Christian, was goading him by his smugness at being released. His dad has the ISA to protect him and he has some lawyer that is a little too interested in her client - now we know that she is 'family'.

Right now, Rafe is the only stable constant in David's life.

There must be a lot of makeup on Doc's pillowcase for the full face that she wore upon waking up.

Kayla has to decide who she wants, if anyone at all.  She's had a lot of crap with Steve and love of her life or not, she does not have to tolerate his behavior because he sees them as tru wuv. She can love him and still have a relationship with Justin.

Some people do move on from their lost spouse in a short period of time, some do not. There is no set time frame. Some folks wait 6 months, other a year or two. It most likely wasn't planned and it just happened. Sometimes you do want a life partner who is safe and secure and doesn't come with a lot of baggage or drama.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Some people do move on from their lost spouse in a short period of time, some do not. There is no set time frame. Some folks wait 6 months, other a year or two. It most likely wasn't planned and it just happened.

Fair enough but I think I am more surprised by how everyone, including Steve, is okay with Justin moving on so relatively fast. I expected Steve to at least ask him how he could move on so quickly from his little sister's death, even with someone as wonderful as Kayla.

36 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Sometimes you do want a life partner who is safe and secure and doesn't come with a lot of baggage or drama.

In real life, I agree with you. The next guy I am with, if there is one, must be one without a lot of baggage or drama. But in a soap opera, the safe choice is almost never the right choice for the heroine. It's the nature of the genre.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 5

The original owner of the unit next to me was on his second wife. His teenage daughter moved in for school and things went sour. Wife dumped him around Christmastime. I last saw her in January. A couple of months later (April?), there was a new woman living there. He had barely time to wash the bedding before bringing a stranger in to the home. I thought maybe he should have waited 6 months or so because he had a teenage daughter living with him. Different strokes for different folks. No idea if he is still with her or on to girlfriend #6 by now.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Kayla has to decide who she wants, if anyone at all.  She's had a lot of crap with Steve and love of her life or not, she does not have to tolerate his behavior because he sees them as tru wuv. She can love him and still have a relationship with Justin.

Maybe. In real life? Sure. But a soap? Wellllllll...

Steve and Kayla have a long history. Problems or not, it's clear they have never stopped loving each other, and this split was not completely initiated by Steve in his right mind.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Ciara, you should talk to someone about your attraction to Ben. Yes, people can change and he has served his time. However, he will most likely always have a side of him that likes violence. 

Brady and Ciara are in two of the most unhealthy and toxic relationships I've ever seen on this show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
14 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I like Zoey which means she'll be ruined soon enough. Probably end up obsessed with Ben and trying to kill Ciara.

Well, if she succeeds in that last part then I'm fine with it.

12 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I remember Xander making Sarah a grilled peanut butter a bacon sandwich while she was pregnant ....

I ... wanna try that lol.

• LOL 4

...Maggie and Victor too. She stays with him out of pity and a fear of being alone, it seems. He'll never be a "good' man.

Wait, so Mary Beth doesn't like Steve and Kayla as a couple? Huh? She and SN always seem to be so close off-camera...

Ciara's shock at seeing Ben choke Chris made me briefly think she was about to snap out of it. On any other show, she would have. 🙄

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Wait, so Mary Beth doesn't like Steve and Kayla as a couple? Huh? She and SN always seem to be so close off-camera...

The post you’re responding to said Shayla. Which I imagine means SHane and Kayla especially since it went on to neg the fact Steve had side relationships and ass but Kayla for the most part hasn’t. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, tribeca said:

Ciara should be worried about Ben anger.  Is he still getting therapy?

Not that I'm aware of.

The closest he gets to any type of therapy is probably the weekly tongue baths he gets from Marlena and now Will.  

• LOL 8
4 hours ago, Sidney said:

Brady and Ciara are in two of the most unhealthy and toxic relationships I've ever seen on this show.

Victor wanting them out of it makes him the bad guy though go figure however I do think he should focus his energies on the family members that aren't lost causes at this point.

• Love 3

Man, that was such a boring way to end an otherwise good week, except for the Steve and Justin scenes.

So no one has told Marlena and John about the baby switch? I cannot believe that neither Eric nor Brady let their parent know what was going on or that Sarah took off with Mickey/Rachel. If anything, Brady would be asking his dad for help in tracking them down the second he realized what happened.

Ciara - run, fucking idiot, just run. You just watched your boyfriend strangling a man and then left them alone. If Evan turned up dead, that would have been on you. And then to brush it off with a simple Ben's fine to Rafe, so stupid. I hope she crashes her bike because maybe a head injury will knock some sense into her.

Rafe - David is like 2 years old, the concept of parentage is abstract at best and he will not remember your talk, let understand what it means, for years. You could tell him the Cookie Monster is his dad and it would make as much sense.

Now that I have heard both Steve and Justin plead their cases and Kayla describe the relationships it is clear that they are setting it up as passion (Steve) versus safety (Justin) and, while the safety will seem right in the beginning, in the end passion will win out. How many times were the words safe, safety and secure used to describe Kayla and Justin's love?

That being said, this is a soap opera and passion will always win out over safety.

Also, as a widow I find it extremely unrealistic that mere weeks after the love of his life died Justin was ready to start a relationship with his sister-in-law. That is not a love story, it is a Lifetime movie starring a former soap actor as the husband who caused the accident to be with the sister-in-law. Justin said that the concert was in early summer and Adrienne died in May - how is everyone, especially Sonny, so freaking nonchalant about their relationship? Sorry, rant over.

Edited by cmahorror
Posted again because I accidentally included a spoiler - sorry
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, cmahorror said:

Also, as a widow I find it extremely unrealistic that mere weeks after the love of his life died Justin was ready to start a relationship with his sister-in-law.

It happens all the time in real life.  Usually it's after a long illness where the caregiving spouse likely already had time to grieve but it happens. 

And it happens a lot on soaps.

And how sure are we that it was weeks instead of a few months?  The time jump was a year.

• Love 3
On 4/16/2020 at 8:44 PM, lb60 said:

That child was ginormus. 

I'm already tired of the Hope Brady apology/pity party tour. 

Finally, a decent Steve/Kayla flashback. Her present day hair is still a mess.

Poor Justin. I don't see this working out in his favor.

Aren't Ben and Ciara adorable? <barf> I know they have fans, I just don't happen to be one of them.

I see Lani and Eli are still some of Salem's top cops. <eye roll>

Oh, hey there, Britt. I mean Zoey. Welcome to Salem. Hopefully, it lasts a little longer than your recent stay in Port Charles.

Good cliffhanger. Go get him, Orpheus!

Yes Justin the next time you get involved with a widow make sure you see her husband's dead body, but even then they come back alive.

Edited by bobcat1946
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And how sure are we that it was weeks instead of a few months?  The time jump was a year.

Yes it’s been a year. Adrienne died on Mother’s Day and Justin and Kayla became an official couple in the early summer Jazz concert. Mother’s Day is May 10 so that would mean it was at the most 2 months. 

2 hours ago, bobcat1946 said:

Yes Justin the next time you get involved with a widow make sure you see her husband's dead body, but even then they come back alive.

Justin should be excited by this because it would mean Adrienne might be on her way back too 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Honestly, and I'm surprised to see myself say this, I kind of hope Adrienne does come back. The way they've handled her death so far it does seem pretty official and final...and I'm definitely tired of the revolving-door of dead people coming back perfectly fine, but I don't think Judi was ever given especially good material as Adrienne the last few years. And Adrienne and Justin basically had no storyline once they reunited...

...and as a Judi Evans fan, I think she's been through plenty of hell the last few months and it would be nice for her to have the regular work because if memory serves when she's not on screen, she's working in a funeral home or a cemetery. That can't be uplifting for her. Sure, Bonnie is a fun character, but I don't see Bonnie being a regular player on the show. Adrienne has far more ties to existing characters and if they ever finally introduce the rest of Sonny's siblings, there could be plenty for her to do. I especially liked her work during her final scenes.

During the 50th, I would have been fine with Justin and Eve becoming a couple, but they really trashed Eve's character, and they decided to pair off Justin with Kayla, so I just don't see him getting together with Eve at a later point without it being really weird.

So I guess this means I'm suddenly a Justin and Adrienne fan after all. Who knew?

• Love 5
12 hours ago, cmahorror said:

ustin said that the concert was in early summer and Adrienne died in May - how is everyone, especially Sonny, so freaking nonchalant about their relationship?

Just because they went to a concert a few months after Adrienne died, doesn't mean they ran home and jumped into bed.

They also knew each other very well, so it's not like a "pick up" date.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MsTree said:

Just because they went to a concert a few months after Adrienne died, doesn't mean they ran home and jumped into bed.

They also knew each other very well, so it's not like a "pick up" date.

Justin literally told Steve on yesterday’s episode that was when they became an official couple but maybe what he said was a lie. I mean he’s the one in the relationship and pretty candid and would have no reason to do so, but okay. I didn’t infere they banged like screen doors in a hurricane I’m just following the timeline the Show and writers provided in dialogue shown onscreen. 

I truly don’t care or judge. I know many widows and widowers who have dated less than a year after their spouse passes (I work in AL and there’s people who are either old or on hospice there). 

• Love 5

Also, if Justin signified they became 'an official couple' in early summer, presumably that means they were casually dating or something before then. So they must have started dating/seeing each other like a month after Adrienne died. Damn, they quick lol!

• Love 4

My Dad and my mother's best friend moved in together less than a year after my mother died.  Shirley and her husband and my folks had been friends for 40 years.  Her husband had died about 6 months or so before,after 10 plus years of being a paraplegic and Shirley took care of him at home.  It was a tough slog for her.  Mom and Dad both helped as much as they could during that time.

When Mom got sick, Shirley was always there to help if needed.  I went back to help Dad take care of her after she became terminal and Shirley was invaluble, so kind to her when Mom, at times, was anything but kind during her illness.  She never flagged.

So when Dad and Shirley got together "so soon" after Mom died, there were some friends and some family that not only thought it was too soon but had no trouble telling them that.  However, my brothers and I supported the relationship because it made him so happy, made them both so happy.  Dad had been a devoted husband to our mother for 60 years and in our opinion, he could take whatever happiness was offered to him.  Even the parish priest (the man was a prince!) told Dad and Shirley that they had done right by their spouses and they were entitled to whatever happiness they could get.  

Dad had 5 more happy years with Shirley.  Shirley died 6 months after Dad.  

So I guess my longwinded story is why I don't have a problem with Justin moving on so "quckly".  Every book has a different ending.

• Useful 2
  • Love 22
On 4/17/2020 at 8:13 PM, Pearson80 said:

Before Steve, Kayla had a brief relationship with Chris who took her virginity, the actor now plays her brother Roman.. The one good thing about that is that the original Kayla had that romance and not Mary Beth's version. Kayla had a brief flirtation with Mike Horton back in the day when Steve was dead. The show should have put them together instead of Shayla. Mike would have been the type of guy she would need to ease her loneliness. It could have been a fling and nothing more. Bo was allowed to have a sexual relationship with Emmy when Hope was dead and before he met Carly. Kayla could have had something similar..

I remember years ago, Mary Beth was chatting with fans and she said that she too hated Shayla with a passion but you never saw any hint of that on the show because she committed to those scenes. She said that she is an actor and her job is to play her scenes to the best of her abilities.  Marcus, Steve's foster brother had a crush on her bad and the show would not have gone there back then since Marcus was Black. It would have triggered the racists. 

The show missed an opportunity in not giving Kayla a husband and another child while she was living in LA with Kim.  A beautiful woman like Kayla would not have remained single for 16 years. Kayla is not allowed to have a life outside of Steve..

Oh yeah, Chris Kostichek (spelling?).  I thought it was sooooo dumb when they used an actor who had been on the show before to become the new Roman.  Just because long time viewers watch a soap, doesn't mean they have amnesia like tons of soap characters!

Who played Mike Horton at that time?  Was it Roark or was it Michael T. Weiss?  (An aside:  those are the only 2 actors I've seen portray Mike, and I much preferred MTW. Squuueeed when I saw him on that NBC series The Pretender.)

Oh riiiiight, I remember Marcus. I recognized him from DOOL when he was on the show Babylon 5. Yeah, at that time ('80s), most of the general public wouldn't have been OK with an interracial romance. [That's why Norman Lear was such a pioneer because he had an interracial couple (Tom & Helen) on The Jeffersons - and this was the 1970s!] Sad that the actor (Richard Biggs) died.

In fact, when I recognize soap actors in other tv shows/films I get a smile remembering their soap character. My kids don't care when I point out hey! so and so was on DOOL, or General Hospital, or B&B, etc.

• Love 4